Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 22, 2015 4:31 PM
Jul 2014
I liked it! For me, it's the best one so far of the series. Better animation too.
Apr 1, 2015 3:06 PM

Oct 2010
I enjoyed just the part when Rena was slashing the enemies,
the rest was boring.
Jun 9, 2015 3:35 AM

Jun 2009
It's probably too short to stand up to the original series, but in 1 hour it does have some semblance to the feel of the original series

It seemed like it was going to have more eps, but apparently there isnt any more
Sep 24, 2015 12:58 AM

Apr 2009
I love the Higurashi series. But this one is weak. :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2016 1:47 PM

Mar 2012
It was decent, but overall felt a bit meh compared to the other parts of this series.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 18, 2017 10:17 PM
Dec 2015
This one is pretty much about their friendship without the suspense and comedy. The cliffhanger annoy a lot of the fans,
Jan 25, 2019 5:04 PM

Jul 2014
For the most part, this special was mildly interesting, but what's with the lack of closure? This really should have been a multi-parter.
D-ohnutsJan 25, 2019 5:17 PM
Apr 2, 2020 2:53 AM

Nov 2013
Damn that ended so abruptly, I need more !!!
This OVA went crazy real fast, wasn’t expecting a disaster on a global scale.
What happens to Rika and the new world !? I’m guessing this is an alternate world since it never touches upon the battle with Takano.

As an end note, watching the beginning segment with the quarantining of everyone felt really ironic while coronavirus is happening.

Sad that this is the last of Higurashi I’ll see but it was a great series! Definitely a worthy classic.

There is the remake coming out soon but I don’t have high expectations for that at all.
Apr 3, 2020 6:51 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
So this is where it was! Dear You ~ ~ ~

Keeping that aside, I felt like the OVA was just about "fine" really. Interesting that the Govt. was involved this time around but it was kind of underwhelming really. Throwing a couple of minutes in a conference room just isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid.

Jeez, Re(i)na was a serious beast though. Right off the bat, she goes out killing without any sense of hesitation. I knew she'd it in him if the opportunity forces her hand but it somehow felt a little rushed of sorts too. Keichi and her taking down armed civilians like that was honestly a little underwhelming too, and Satoshi involved too -_- Sorry but that was honestly my reaction.

Keichi's parents letting Reina and Keichi go fight against some 20 people is another mind-boggling bit. Aren't you supposed to do that alone yourself or at least offer, dad?

Rika's bit wasn't the clearest bit either but I understand why she decided to stay back, I suppose that'll somehow do.

So much gore in this though, I must say. I saw the PV and prepared myself for considerable but not to this extent, yikes. Even the world is in ruins now...

Overall, I'm going to have to give this a generous 6/10. Was certainly fun after all.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 30, 2020 1:29 PM
Oct 2019
"The existence of class C viruses has not been confirmed."

Literally 1 minute later:

"Several hundred strains are known to exist."

LMAO, I can't deal with something this stupid...
May 30, 2020 1:48 PM
Oct 2019
No clue what Hanyuu is talking about in regards to her "brethren" and whatever else.

The "Alphabet" whatever people make an appearance, but their role in the episode was entirely pointless. They didn't even need to make an appearance because they changed nothing. Not even the Ground Forces units made much of an impact. Just kind of dumb.

Meh overall. Either or 5 or 6/10.
Jul 28, 2020 11:22 AM

Feb 2020
i haven't finished watching higurashi yet but the title - lmao i'm sorry
Aug 3, 2020 10:35 PM

Mar 2020
I came from the future, at the end of the year 2020 this happens...the pandemic evolves and made humans entered in a paranoia phase in which world powers ended up killing each other leaving only 3 percent of the population alive. Go to rural areas starting NOW...

~See You... Space Cowboy...
Sep 28, 2020 6:22 PM

Aug 2018
Excellent side story and alternate ending, but only for fans of the first 2 series.
Sep 29, 2020 2:03 PM

Sep 2018
I was pretty mixed on this movie. The pacing was so fast that it was kind of ridiculous. I do not understand how Rena and Keiichi did not go crazy with the virus like most other characters. The explanation about the virus seemed like a waste of time due to how little was said about it. Rika gets shafted this movie with almost no lines or the personality she shows in every other arc. The Satoko rescue arc seemed like a parody of shounen with how ridiculous the mcs were against a trained fighting force. The villains were like Saturday cartoon villains. I dislike the cliffhanger ending. The ending theme Dear You was great. Dr. Irie summoning his persona was dumb imo. I was a bit disappointed the detective had no parts in this movie. Despite all my problems with the movie I like the main characters still. I would give it a 7/10 which is pretty generious.
Oct 1, 2020 1:16 PM

Apr 2013
Hmm pretty weird last episode tbh, at least if you know that this never got a sequel. Guess I finished this just in time to start with the remake airing this season haha, I guess I'd rather take a Higurashi break for now though.
Nov 12, 2020 8:26 AM
Oct 2019
Damn, watching this in 2020 just hit different, you know Quarantine all that stuff

Yes...
This is what we i'm missing from Higurashi lately the Bloddy, Gore, people murder each others...

Animation looks Dope too

Amazing OVA 👌
davidyodo24Nov 12, 2020 8:30 AM
Dec 25, 2020 1:09 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Krissirk said:
Hinamizawa Syndrome on a global scale. Can't wait for the next episode. Rena and Keiichi are a badass tag team duo I hope they have more sequences like that.

This man at first episode already explained everything quite nicely.

Well, as a side story, for the club members facing a different issue like this was another way of patience test for me. Another arc, another backstory, another abrupt hangover ending with nothing else could described rather an outbreak itself.

Hanyuu herself even already said, that its not the world where they've got a happy lifes. So its already the end for them, when Hanyuu said that, without even conclusing their last attempt to went through those global scale outbreaks. Well, its sad. But, there was nothing they could do about that rather just forcing themself to be happy of it.

7/10 for this arc, unfortunately. Idk why, but its really lacking an element of surprises, coming from Higurashi antic psychological-horror-supernatural elements on it. Its just very rushed, and pretty straight-forward. This arc only consist of a good action pack, and memorable emotional bad landscapes, as their ends. And yeah, Rena-Keiichi badass moment ironically being my reason to keep it at 7, while its in fact can be dropped to 5 or 6.

Thats it from me.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 31, 2020 8:26 PM

Jan 2020
I rewatched this ova as the last anime I'll watch in 2020. Not only because I really love this ova but 2020 was the year where I started and loved Higurashi and the content itself can parallel events from 2020 in an unnerving manner.
The perfect match made this the best episode to wrap up 2020 for me and I'm really glad I still loved it.

Jan 15, 2021 8:05 PM

Sep 2014
Many many years ago when I first watched Higurashi I was apparently blown away by this OVA (I guess because its focussed and to-the-point) and rated it a 9..

What can I say, I dont know what I was thinking. Rena was cool and it was action packed, the 50 minutes went by really fast. But it just felt like too much of what makes Higurashi great was missing. Rika barely had a role, she just talked nonsense with Hanyuu at the end.
I get it, alternative setting. All humans are controlled by parasites and kill each other.
The way Rika and Hanyuu talked about "them" made me think Hanyuu is just the manifestation of the parasite in Rika, and the other parasites started to go wild. But nah. Who cares.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 15, 2021 5:30 PM

Sep 2020
Well, this was pretty darn lame compared to the masterpiece of Higurashi+Kai.
Rena was badass though.
6/10
Oct 31, 2021 8:48 AM

Jul 2014
Brain parasites that cause religion and nations? Really? And that's arguably not even the stupidest thing this insultingly-dumb mess does.

4/10
Nov 15, 2021 12:32 AM
Jun 2009
I have no idea what the conversation between Hanyuu and Rika was about at the end. Hanyuu sounded like she was a personification of one subspecies of brain parasites, talking about how they were cooped up in Hinamizawa and were now eager to get out into the world. Wasn't she supposed to be a god? And then she leaves to go where? Throughout the series Hanyuu was following one Rika's lives through many worlds, but now she just abandons her Rika and does what, go to a different world to hang around with a different Rika who doesn't have a Hanyuu?

And why did Rika have to stay in Hinamizawa? Because she's the queen carrier? Does she hope to rebuild a community of people infected with the original, less aggressive strain of brain parasite? But if there are different strains, why did most of the villagers go nuts? Shouldn't have been infected with the original strain? Did Takano somehow cause most of the villagers' parasites to change & become more volatile?
Feb 3, 2022 5:27 PM

Dec 2009
Timeline-wise this doesn't make sense to the last 8 (Chapters/) World Lines of Higurashi.

Higurashi Outbreak is adapted from Higurashi Daybreak which was written by the creator of Higurashi, Ryukishi07- although based on Higurashi by Twilight Frontier.
Surprisingly, this is either a poor adaption, and/or simply a flawed addition to the story of Higurashi since it just doesn't logically fit in that timeline...

I don't remember if Takano was planning on a different stronger virus than H-173 or not in the original source visual novel (8 Chapters), but at the very least, η-173 doesn't exist in the original. It's only first introduced, here.

A stronger a virus is cool, along with killing expert versions of Rena and Keiichi, but even that seems somewhat implausible to the lore, especially with lacking insight to what they've been through or know in this world line. Maybe Higurashi Daybreak has that info.
In the end, it's not exactly clear what they know and don't, but I think they're aware of Rika's situation to some extent, by knowing of the world lines, and Mion knowing of the hinamizawa syndrome- but it's contradictory to the lore and timeline of Higurashi, since they're only fully aware of Rika's situation in the last chapter, and start becoming slightly conscious of the other worlds a little before ...but in this, they seem almost fully aware, but somehow still ignorant to the whole circumstance- which is dumb and illogical.

Keiichi having Satoshi's bat doesn't make sense either, unless it's in the world line he was affected by the Hinamizawa Syndrome, killed Rena and Mion, and later died.
As for Rena, having the axe and effortlessly killing with it may be plausible if she already killed Rina, or just started killing after her father died in this ...still, her composure is a little odd, but arguably of her character in this dire situation.
... Although, even if they are agile and are talented in physical ability... killing several men with guns is a little ridiculous.
At least their murders in the source Higurashi is realistic.

Finally, Takano affecting the villagers before she kills Rika completely ignores the core of her original plan of the original story. This change of plan doesn't make sense without insight as to why.

So with all these flaws to the lore and original story and timeline, even though entertaining... 5/10.
waalex11Feb 3, 2022 5:35 PM
Jul 5, 2022 11:24 PM
Mar 2022
this was actually pretty good. overall 8/10
Aug 4, 2022 3:06 PM
Mar 2015
wtf did I just see?
Aug 23, 2022 1:08 PM

Jun 2017
This was fun to watch but that virus being the cause for all national and religious conflicts was very hard to believe. Those conflicts across history were never so black and white. I didn't really understand Hanyuu's words. Was I supposed to think that she was an alien? But then her story from the main series doesn't add up well. If this virus is going to affect everyone in the world now, how Keichi and his friends are fine? I will treat this story as filler.
Dec 1, 2022 12:23 PM

Aug 2014
This was boring and meh.

However, this OVA has some breaking the fourth wall value, in that if you watch this OVA episode from 2020 and afterwards, then it will feel too close too home with the lockdowns, pandemic, disease, virus, etc.
Jun 12, 2023 11:24 PM
Oct 2020
I was waiting for a crushing bad and sad ending, kinda disappointing...
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Horror?

ylight67 - Jun 14, 2019

2 by ylight67 »»
Mar 15, 2020 6:58 PM

» When is this?

WitchJacqueline - Nov 28, 2014

1 by TimeGoesOn »»
May 25, 2015 4:37 PM

» Higurashi Outbreak's supposedly ending

I_Am_Drunk - Jul 19, 2014

1 by Luna »»
Jul 29, 2014 1:13 AM

» So, who else is excited? ( 1 2 3 )

Katsuro-chan - Dec 16, 2012

121 by doyakubo »»
Jan 10, 2014 9:49 AM

» fansubbing group for higurashi kaku

741shadow - Aug 29, 2013

31 by bajin666an »»
Oct 1, 2013 9:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.