Forum Settings
Forums

what do you think about 3d anime? is it a dealbreaker in choosing what you watch?

New
Mar 31, 12:43 PM
Feb 2024
For me it is a dealbraker. I feel like it killing the vibe. Maybe the cause are low budgets of 3d productions idk. I was several times really disappointed finding that the title I selected is in 3d. And thought is such a waste of potential.

For example I love Mo Dao Zu Shi, and there is adaptation of different story wrote by the same author np. Chuan Shu Zijiu Zhinan and I can't look at it xd :c

What about you? How are your feelings?

--------
Edit: thank you for comments! I see now I am totally noob
windyshadowApr 1, 1:55 AM
Mar 31, 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
I enjoy some 3D anime, like Knights of Sidonia, Malice Doll, or that Shadow Skill OVA (I'm serious).
Mar 31, 12:46 PM

Oct 2020
> is it a dealbreaker??
yes. period.
Read light novels!
2023 Update: Do NOT read light novels. Regular novels are better. Glory to Haruki Murakami!!!
Mar 31, 12:52 PM
Oct 2019
if its ufotable imma watch regardless otherwise its gotta have a 10 out of 10 plot
Mar 31, 12:56 PM

Feb 2020
I like 3D anime if it's well made. D4DJ and BanG Dream! are probably my favorites.

SerafosMar 31, 1:26 PM
Mar 31, 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
I don't care about the quality of the animation or the use of 3D as long as it is a good story, normally I will enjoy every show I watch because I consider that there was hard work behind it, regardless of the result, Houseki No Kuni changed my life, it gave me ideals that will be with me until the end, and in my opinion it is a masterpiece in terms of history, the anime has a very very good animation in my opinion
Mar 31, 1:00 PM

Dec 2015
3D and low budgets, many times 3D stuff costs more x) It ain't workin like that.

I don't care if it's 2D, 3D or semi 2-3D or whatever else, the execution matters, as a good 3D show example is Sidonia or Levius.

Mar 31, 1:11 PM

Aug 2010
Definitely not preferred, and it is distracting in a lot of cases, but still not a deal breaker for me. Beastars was good.
Mar 31, 1:19 PM

May 2018
3D donghua is fine, so I guess Japan will be there some day...but currently is really behind (even studio Orange which projects I dislike).
Mar 31, 1:37 PM

Sep 2016
Only if it's well done like 3D animation from the US, but Japan is seemingly incapable of producing good 3D animation, so they better stick to 2D animation.
ZarutakuMar 31, 2:21 PM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 31, 1:51 PM

Nov 2011
there's nothing wrong with 3d itself, but rather how it is used and how much budget the studio has.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Mar 31, 1:58 PM

Feb 2021
Not necessarily a dealbreaker for me depending on how it looks. Stand by Me Doraemon, Lupin III the First, and Sand Land all have great looking CGI so I watched them, while Berserk (2016) looks like complete garbage so I didn't. Let's just say that if Baki kept the CGI fights and MHA kept the CGI for Endeavor (they used it in one scene in season 5), I probably would've stopped watching them.
Mar 31, 1:59 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to Zettaiken
3D and low budgets, many times 3D stuff costs more x) It ain't workin like that.

I don't care if it's 2D, 3D or semi 2-3D or whatever else, the execution matters, as a good 3D show example is Sidonia or Levius.

@Zettaiken

Also Ajin by the same studio.
Mar 31, 2:07 PM

Dec 2021
Depends on why it's used. While donghua instead of anime, I personally love Zanting! Rang Wo Cha Gonglue's look, since it's intentionally made to look like a Genshin-esque sorta look, instead of being a budgetary thing. That donghua leans hard into that on the later episodes especially.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Mar 31, 2:31 PM

Nov 2018
Dreadful turnoff. I'm still not over how it ruined the newer adaptation of Trigun.
Mar 31, 2:32 PM

Jan 2009
3d animation is done to speed up production but not to lower cost since its still expensive but not meeting deadlines is more expensive also there is animator shortage crisis like lack of mecha animators so they do 3d animation there instead

im neutral on it as like 2d animation it can look bad or good too
Mar 31, 2:56 PM

Jan 2021
It doesn't matter to me

Though it can be a little off putting at first
Mar 31, 3:32 PM
Jul 2023
Of course, I am not against 3D animation as long as the "shading" technique is used, but it must be very well implemented.
Mar 31, 3:40 PM
Jul 2023
I am fine with anything as long as the animation is natural and fluid; my only concern is that it should not be like Western animation films:meaning animations that completely resemble a computer game.
9765Mar 31, 3:48 PM
Mar 31, 3:59 PM

Nov 2021
They can be good, they can suck. What's that one with a guy who is turned into a lizard? That one is awesome. Starts with a D. Then there's that one that sucks about being turned into mummy-monsters... that one sucks (it's a Netflix anime).
Taiga best girl forever.
Mar 31, 4:21 PM

Oct 2013
I don't mind it. It's animation as any other, just with different dominant artistic technique. You can find bad, mediocre, and good looking CGI anime, so it's the same as with other types of shows.

What I love a lot is seeing a brilliantly made CGI. High production quality and a talented crew making the show can result in fantastic shows. Look at Studio Orange's anime TV series, like Beastars or Trigun Stampede, or at some movies created by other studios (i.e. Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary, or Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero). They are totally visual feasts.
Mar 31, 5:10 PM

Jan 2013
There's exceptions, but in general it's a pretty big detractor.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 31, 5:14 PM

Nov 2019
I'm not a traditional animation purist, so I can watch CG animation just as well..

And to touch on your example.. I have watched both and I couldn't look at Chuan Shu Zijiu Zhinan either.. Not because it was CG, but because it was about an adult man grooming a 14 year old boy..
Mar 31, 5:25 PM

Dec 2020
2d or 3d doesnt matter at all, so long as its good who cares?
Mar 31, 6:45 PM

May 2019
I like early to mid 2000 scifi 3D CGI anime.
Mar 31, 7:10 PM

Jan 2017
I don't mind 3D animated works. In terms of anime, Studio Orange does some great work in this area (like a few other replies mentioned). But I've watched the most 3D works through donghua. So, I can only speak on that area.

Right now, I consider myself to be a seasoned donghua viewer. But when I first got into donghua, I did find the 3D to be very off putting. So, I stuck with the 2D stuff like: The King's Avatar, Versatile Mage, Demonic Cultivator, Daily Life of the Immortal King. It seems you are at this stage right now!

But then I realized there are so many great works and stories that are told, even if it is in 3D. So, I gave it a shot. I had also read tons of manhua by this point, so that might have persuaded me to try it out.

After a while, you just get used to the 3D. Soul Land was one of the first 3D donghua I watched. By the time the story picked up, I didn't even think about the 3D.
Soul Land had some ups and downs in the quality, iirc. You can't necessarily predict/assume the quality will stay consistent throughout the series' run. That's one of the bigger downsides to 3D donghua.

Once you get used to the 3D, you won't even notice it. You'll just be immersed in the story. Like many fellow repliers state, it's all about the execution of the story.
Mar 31, 7:24 PM

Dec 2012
Doesn't matter as long as it has a good story and characters.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Mar 31, 7:33 PM

Oct 2023
I really like 3D animation when it's implemented well. DBS Super Hero quickly comes to mind as a good example.

Most studios are focused on the quality of the 2D animation, as they ought to be, and I think that's why there's a lot of poor use of the additional medium in many series. In TV anime especially you can see how the fidelity of 3D assets are usually pitiful in comparison to the standard 2D animation. Even recent anime I really enjoy like Undead Unluck have 3D assets of... let's just say, extremely questionable visual quality being used at times.

It usually doesn't hamper an experience for me, but it's definitely something you have to weigh as a factor in the quality of the title.
Mar 31, 7:50 PM

Mar 2008
Nothing wrong with 3D in itself if done well even if I dont prefer it over 2D. It only is an issue if it is mixed with 2D in a distracting way but it doesnt make a dealbreaker then either just an annooyance.
Mar 31, 8:39 PM
Feb 2014
Yes, i tend to avoid full 3D anime, i don't mind at all if it's integrated seamlessly with a mostly 2D anime though (i mean, as long as there are no jarring/out of place 3D people or animals....)

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 31, 9:10 PM

Apr 2021
Nope. If anything I get somewhat more interested in 3D works, although that depends on who's making it.

Mirabem said:
'm still not over how it ruined the newer adaptation of Trigun.

"Ruined". Lol.
Apr 1, 1:13 AM

Sep 2007
Reply to 9765
I am fine with anything as long as the animation is natural and fluid; my only concern is that it should not be like Western animation films:meaning animations that completely resemble a computer game.
97653222333 said:

Same here as long it doesn't seem like it's out of place or lost in detail.
Apr 1, 1:26 AM

Sep 2018
I'm a big fan of 3DCG anime (not just Orange, also MAPPA and even the ones made by J.C Staff), but I still got filtered by the ugly-ass 3D character designs in Bang Dream! It's My Go!!!!, the best anime of 2023 according to some niche communities.
Apr 1, 1:29 AM
Jul 2018
Beastars was good, Ex Arm was terrible. I think all anime will be 3d in 10 years. It wouldn't surprise me if they use real backgrounds and actors and then use ai to change the actors to anime characters. I mean they use photos already as backgrounds so why not use film instead?
Apr 1, 1:39 AM

Mar 2021
windyshadow said:
what do you think about 3d anime? is it a dealbreaker in choosing what you watch?

For a moment I thought you meant actual Anime that required 3D glasses to view it. I don't think an Anime has ever actually been released in 3D but you were talking about CGI.

For the record both "Mo Dao Zu Shi" and "Chuan Shu Zijiu Zhinan" are not Japanese Anime, they are Chinese Donghua. There is no such thing as Chinese Anime any more than there is such thing as Japanese Donghua. This platform might have both Japanese Anime and Chinese Donghua in the MAL database but they are two completely different mediums. Make no mistake I have learned this site is only called "MyAnimeList" just for the name sake, since a majority of everything this site platforms is basically Japanese Anime mixed in with animation mostly from anywhere in North East Asia. MAL could have been called anything really like "BobsNorthEastAsiaAnimationDataBase". "MyAnimeList", it's just a name for the site.

Modern animation production basically uses CG all the time whether viewers realize it or not. Some are more polished than others where viewers couldn't tell it wasn't hand drawn and blends in nicely with the things that are actually hand drawn. But typically almost all action in modern Japanese Anime these days is heavily reliant on CG (it's just so polished that viewers couldn't tell it's reliant on CG). Unless you are talking about Japanese Anime around the turn of the century there no getting around the use of CG when animators stopped using Cel animation completely a long long time ago. CG is soulless though in contrast to Cel animation from the 90s and 80s.

Now if you are talking about animation that basically looks like some cheap Chinese Donghua garbage product that completely looks synthetic to it's core, I would likely pass on watching it. If I wanted to consume raw computer graphics, I might as well being playing some modern video game.
ColourWheelApr 1, 6:22 AM
Apr 1, 2:15 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
3d is always a degradation compared to 2d anime
Apr 1, 2:37 AM

Aug 2013
I prefer traditional 2D but it's totally fine when anime studios use 3D for inanimate objects like cars, planes, buildings, etc. to make life easier for themselves since 2D characters are most important. Passable 3D is cheaper and faster to do than average 2D but nice 3D will need much more resources than nice 2D.
Apr 1, 3:04 AM

Jun 2016
I don't have an issue with 3D (The Incredibles is still one of the best animated movies of all time and my mind can't be changed) but 3D in anime usually looks like crap.
>B-b-but x and y look good
I know. That's why I wrote "usually".
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 1, 3:12 AM

Mar 2016
Im open to it if it’s done well and utilized for its unique value over traditional 2D. Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero is an example of this. Im still able to stomach some jank 3D of the setting is unique and they have interesting assets and characters designs (with decent writing).
Apr 1, 6:18 AM
May 2022
No but fully 3d anime are much rarer to look good. Duke of Death for instance looks like a video game. Orange are really the only ones who consistently make good looking 3d anime. But anime that mix both can be hit or miss. Ninja Kamui recently got instantly worse when they switched to 3d robot fights.
Apr 1, 6:39 AM

Mar 2012
If it's 3D I won't even bother giving it a chance. I've tried 3D in the past and all of it felt like everything is made out of clay and is playing in slow motion.
Apr 1, 6:42 AM

Oct 2021
I don't mind.

I like when they mix cg with 2D like in Zoids and Initial D.
May 26, 4:47 PM

Aug 2019
No, it's not a deal breaker for me. I would prefer 2D animation, but I'm not going to not watch something if it's got 3D animation.
May 27, 12:46 AM

Jan 2023
I think I've seen very few 3d animation so far (mainly in idols anime), so I don't have a strong opinion but in general I'd say I found it a bit worse than 'regular' animation.

More topics from this board

» What are old anime that won't be made today

Kirika_Madeleine - 2 hours ago

10 by Little_Sheepling »»
3 minutes ago

» Who are your Top 10 Favorite Waifus?

DesuMaiden - 1 hour ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Yesterday

31 by Rinrinka »»
12 minutes ago

» Other than rewatching, what can you do when you want to watch the next season of an anime you forgot most of the previous season?

thewiru - 9 hours ago

14 by Catalano »»
24 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

250 by SeleneOnTheMoon »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.