Forum Settings
Forums

Were you spanked growing up? (Would you say it helped your behavior or make it worse?)

New
Nov 7, 2021 9:19 AM

Jun 2017
I'm just curious, who all got spanked when they acted up as kids?

Looking back, Do you think it helped your behavior or made it worse?
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Nov 7, 2021 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
Nope, but the few memories I have of my dad he beat me up with his belt.

Won't recommend it. It really hurts.
Nov 7, 2021 9:42 AM

Feb 2018
Nah just tripped on tiles, head smashed, hair pulled and shaken violently

Yeh, I'm definitely a normal functioning adult with perfect self-esteem rn

Nov 7, 2021 9:59 AM

May 2013
Yes, with a spatula growing up haha.

No, it just made me fear my parents and rebel as a teenager.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Nov 7, 2021 10:04 AM

May 2021
Didn't get spanked much, but other type of punishments like hitting with objects were common. It damaged my self-esteem a lot so worse I guess.

P.S. Corporal punishment is a really shitty way to discipline children.
Nov 7, 2021 10:20 AM

Mar 2021
Yes I was and I don’t think it was abusive (though my father showed bias and favouritism when he did it). My mother did a great job of making it fair, structured, proportional etc. It wasn’t the only form of punishment used either and she always explained why it had to be done and assured me that it was done out of love and that she still loves me. When other people talk about being beaten it’s a completely different picture. The way that my parents did it wasn’t brutal or out of anger or anything like that. It was measured and they ensured that they didn’t inflict more pain than was necessary or that we could handle.

It made me a very good and obedient person. Something that people around me either envied or wanted to change. People would tell me that I didn’t need to listen to my parents and that I could think and do for myself. People would pressure me into just swearing like them etc. I’m the end I did go and try a few things on my own, as MAL is already well aware of lol.
Nov 7, 2021 11:44 AM

Jun 2016
I got spanked a handful of times and got the old wooden spoon treatment as well, but it was mostly slapping and hair pulling for me. The emotional abuse was worse honestly and it had some long-term effects for sure.

Did it build character? I wouldn't say so, I mean at least I didn't end up spoiled, but I feel like there are better ways to prevent that. I also feel like it made our relationship more chaotic once I hit my teenage years. And the emotional shite was just plain bad, no two ways about it.
Nov 7, 2021 3:08 PM
Jan 2020
I was beat up three times in my life because I did some terrible things. I learned those things were terrible because my parents wouldnt hit me if not. Better than hitting kids for everything.
inactive
Nov 7, 2021 3:20 PM

Oct 2015
I was spanked a fair amount and I don't feel like it did anything for me. I was a troublesome kid and that didn't change for some time, I've mellowed out now but not because of the spanking.
Nov 7, 2021 3:28 PM

Sep 2012
I was formally spanked on the butt 3 times growing up by both my parents, teacher and karate instructor. I'd say it made me a better person. Nobody ever did it to take out their rage on me and it was strictly discipline.

As soon as they realized that grounding me from electronics was more effective, they stopped anyway.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Nov 7, 2021 8:50 PM

Jan 2020
I believe once but that when I was extremely young and can hardly remember

Nov 7, 2021 9:31 PM

Jul 2016
I got the "switch" a lot as a kid, as my mom called it lol. She would hit me a few times, either with her hand or a wooden spoon, all while making sure I knew where I messed up. When she talks about it now, she always mentions that she hated spanking me and my siblings, but it had to be done.

I honestly think it worked quite well in disciplining me growing up. I never rebelled against my parents, and I'm pretty good with listening to demands from an authority figure (i.e. my boss, police, etc.). I'm actually really appreciative that they raised me the way they did, including the disciplining part, even though I didn't enjoy it as a child.

Nov 7, 2021 9:32 PM

Mar 2021
I was never spanked cause I was a good kid :D (99% of the time)
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Nov 7, 2021 10:09 PM

Dec 2019
It wasn't abusive or anything but it's changed the way I behaved a lot. I was a very hyperactive and rather troublesome (getting myself into danger) child, so to get me to calm down or whenever I did something bad I'd get hit with the belt and yelled at. It made me obedient and "disciplined" according to my dad but for me I only did it out of fear rather than doing it of my own volition, though over time it changed into the latter, especially now that I got to know my parents more as people. Most of the time it was for discipline, but I can recall a few times when it was out of anger, especially when I messed up or did something slightly wrong. Recently, I was hit and scolded harshly while we were working because I wasn't going at a fast enough pace and I was making a few minor mistakes. It didn't hurt physically as I'm super tolerable to pain, but as the seconds went by I started to cry for no reason.
I've become really reserved and my self-esteem just keeps getting lower and lower as the years go by. I developed a feeling of contempt toward myself as well since I just can't seem to do anything right. Now, I don't hate my dad or anything, on the contrary, it's quite the opposite. I look up to him, he's become a large role model for me over the years, especially after I came to realize the scale of how much he's sacrificed for the family and his arduous, abusive childhood. I just wish I was treated more leisurely like the rest of my siblings.
Nov 7, 2021 11:19 PM
Jul 2018
This is probably the reason, I always hid Anime from my parents until High school graduation.
Nov 8, 2021 2:27 AM

Mar 2020
Once or twice and it made me a masochist

Nov 8, 2021 2:31 AM

Mar 2021
i've never been spanked nor got punished before
Nov 8, 2021 2:50 AM

Mar 2019
Yeah, not spanked, that sounds really comical. I did get beaten by the belt, the most vivid physical punishment I got was when I used swear words, my mum made me eat soap, literally. and I guess it made it worse seeing as a fucking swear all the time.
Nov 8, 2021 12:53 PM

Jan 2011
Yep, got the belt a few times, think there was a broom to. Builds character
Nov 8, 2021 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
Two friends of mine were. Physical beatings because of their pranks, they had been heavily punished, imo. Their parents were very strict. One recently was sentenced for army robbery (he was freed from jail recently) and the other has become a drug addict. I don't know how they're doing today, cause we lost contact.

From my part, I've never been spanked as I've always been calm and peaceful guy.
Nov 8, 2021 1:56 PM

Oct 2012
Yes. The classic old "pull your pants down and wait for your father".
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think we will have Terminator-like robots or will we have Detroit Become Human-like robots in the future?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

3 by deg »»
21 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 )

KiraraFan - May 7

58 by MalchikRepaid »»
36 minutes ago

» Vent thread. ( 1 2 )

Spooks - Oct 7, 2013

90 by Mirania »»
46 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these 6 things matters most to you?

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

29 by traed »»
1 hour ago

» Anime convention stories

PAPOrr - Apr 19, 2023

11 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.