Forum Settings
Forums

What's with people and hating on all-female cast anime?

New
May 15, 2017 8:33 PM

Jul 2015
So often, whenever you see an anime that's coming out or has come out that only has female characters or at least only female leads, you see commenters on so many sites, like here or kissanime, saying "Oh hey. An anime with only girls? That's an instant-skipping". I don't get it. It's like these people don't even give these anime a chance. I'll admit, I am EXTREMELY biased towards all-female cast anime, but common. They aren't that bad, and many of them are actually interesting and entertaining.
May 15, 2017 8:42 PM

Nov 2008
Most are moe haters, and with battle anime it's often has ecchi in it which turns off some viewers.

May 15, 2017 8:42 PM
Jul 2018
A lot of people seem to need a self insert I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 15, 2017 8:44 PM

Feb 2015
May 15, 2017 8:45 PM

Mar 2015
Because most of them have the idea that females = cute and well lets be honest most male anime watchers hate cute even though so many all-female cast anime are actually entertaining, fun and heartwarming.

yeehaw
May 15, 2017 8:56 PM

Aug 2016
Not many can see the greatness that is Keijo!!!!!!!!
May 15, 2017 9:00 PM

Jul 2015
_Ako_ said:
Well, they can express what they think about something.

I get having an opinion. After all, we each have different taste in anime, but for this, it seems to be the majority opinion, and it's funny how the moment you see it's an all-female cast, you can kind of tell that there's going to be A LOT of comments saying the anime will be "trash" for not having a male character, or how "all-female anime have no story". Just intrigues me why people feel the need to degrade it and its watchers.
May 15, 2017 9:00 PM

Jan 2008
I don't think I've ever seen that, rather I see the complete opposite, often categorizing it as fujoshi crap.
May 15, 2017 9:01 PM

Sep 2014
Those people are obviously gay. They want some wiener on wiener action, but obviously you wont get that in an all female cast
May 15, 2017 9:02 PM

Feb 2015
Raynare said:
_Ako_ said:
Well, they can express what they think about something.

I get having an opinion. After all, we each have different taste in anime, but for this, it seems to be the majority opinion, and it's funny how the moment you see it's an all-female cast, you can kind of tell that there's going to be A LOT of comments saying the anime will be "trash" for not having a male character, or how "all-female anime have no story". Just intrigues me why people feel the need to degrade it and its watchers.

Mhhh... I wonder who'd watch YoI...

If you ask me even if you pay me $1M cash I wouldn't... :/
May 15, 2017 9:16 PM

Jul 2015
_Ako_ said:
Raynare said:

Mhhh... I wonder who'd watch YoI...

If you ask me even if you pay me $1M cash I wouldn't... :/

Lol Didn't think about that, but same. Well, maybe for a mil.
Reason I chise to COMPLETELY ignore that series was cuz I read the synopsis to see what they hype was about and I knew I'd fall asleep in the first episode, just cuz it didn't interest me. Didn't know about the yaoi aspect till later.
May 15, 2017 9:24 PM

Sep 2014
TELL ME WHO IS HATING ON ALL-GIRL CAST ANIME!! I'LL 360 NO SCOPE THEM INTO THE NEXT DIMENSION
wtf i love watching all-girl cast animes, i can't imagine anyone hating on it??
Tbh it is way more entertaining to watch all-girl animes than cheesy shoujo romance or cliche shounens where the MC always wins. But all-guy animes is another topic (ewww) 90& are yaoi
May 15, 2017 9:30 PM

Mar 2008
probably better than all-male cast anime reactions as i often sees the rude or troll remarks in every anime forums

May 15, 2017 9:41 PM

Apr 2017
Huh? TBH

I despised all-male cast than bunch of moeblob cast in the shows much more

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
May 15, 2017 9:44 PM

Oct 2016
I'm watching an all-female cast show (Sakura Quest) and it's entertaining though.. so maybe what you've read from those streaming sites were just trolls and alike.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 15, 2017 9:49 PM

May 2016
To play devil's advocate, I'm a little bit iffy with an all cute girl cast because I get a feeling that the creators have cynical intensions with making all the mains cute girls. Not that makes me drop the show but sometimes it is a little distracting in the beginning like it is a little emersion breaking that all the important people are conviently cute girls.

An all female cast also makes it less likely for any hint of romance (that doesn't come off as yuri-bait) and the problem comes with the fact that I love shipping and want them to sail.
TakenMalUsernameMay 15, 2017 10:00 PM
May 15, 2017 9:50 PM

Oct 2014
They think all the budget went into girl character designs so there's none left for the plot.
May 15, 2017 10:01 PM

Feb 2016
So these guys think that an anime revolving around all-girl school like K-on, or idol group like Love Live should have a male in the main cast? C'mon man, doesn't even make sense unless it's a harem genre.
May 15, 2017 10:04 PM

Dec 2015
Yeah I've seen that, though I don't know why the hate. Just because it's all girls, it doesn't it's going to suck. I mean, I haven't seen much of them, but the couple I've seen have been really good.
May 15, 2017 10:17 PM

Nov 2009
In my experience, all-girl anime tend to be pretty good. Doubly good if they aren't SoL CGDCT anime or mahou shoujo anime. (these two genres are good, but doing all-girl cast outside these genres means the authors put more thought into it)
Usually they have all the good parts of ecchi anime, without any annoying protagonists.

PO1SON said:
Because most of them have the idea that females = cute and well lets be honest most male anime watchers hate cute even though so many all-female cast anime are actually entertaining, fun and heartwarming.

What's wrong with those people?! I'm in despair!
It does explain a lot, though.

takenMalUsername said:
To play devil's advocate, I'm a little bit iffy with an all cute girl cast because I get a feeling that the creators have cynical intensions with making all the mains cute girls. Not that makes me drop the show but sometimes it is a little distracting in the beginning like it is a little emersion breaking that all the important people are conviently cute girls.

Well, harem anime tend to operate on a similar premise - there is a disproportional number of attractive anime girls in all positions of importance. Except it's double unrealistic, because they all find male lead attractive.

takenMalUsername said:
An all female cast also makes it less likely for any hint of romance (that doesn't come off as yuri-bait) and the problem comes with the fact that I love shipping and want them to sail.

On the good side, it means there would not be any poorly-handled romance where they have no chemistry and only kiss in the last episode.
May 15, 2017 10:17 PM

Apr 2016
Maybe they don't like women in general. Or maybe they think an all girls cast will ruin the anime by showing too much ecchi. I think the shippers would be angry too because most all girls anime have these yuri-bait moments.

Some of the best anime I've seen have an all female cast such as Azumanga Daioh, K-On, Non Non Biyori, Nichijou, A Certain Scientific Railgun, etc.

I saw that the comment section of the news article 'Toji no Miko' (which is a new original anime) also has a few people saying that they'll instantly skip the show just because it has an all girls cast. You can see it on the MAL news page.
May 15, 2017 11:00 PM

Jul 2015
Omkar_Nagwade said:

I saw that the comment section of the news article 'Toji no Miko' (which is a new original anime) also has a few people saying that they'll instantly skip the show just because it has an all girls cast. You can see it on the MAL news page.

Yea I saw that too. That's what led me to ask this question in the first place, as when I saw them, I was like "ooooooooooffffffffff course..."
May 15, 2017 11:09 PM
Jan 2016
I'm one of those people who insta-skip mono-gendered series. Not because I hate them though. I'm just not interested. I'm one of those people who have to have a character they can self-insert into. And well, a girl just won't do.
I probably wouldn't have watched Railgun if Touma and Accelerator weren't in it in some capacity. Even though it was a good show.
The only exception so far (I think) was Kobayashi-san, but that's probably because Kobayashi herself is practically an old salaryman in the body of a badly underdeveloped woman. :P
May 15, 2017 11:11 PM

Jan 2013
Lol but hate on all-male cast animes is pretty popular too.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
May 15, 2017 11:18 PM

Oct 2015
maybe there is a need for a self-insert. or maybe they associate all-female cast with moe/slice of life or shoujo and they're not fans of said genre.
usually the people i've seen react like that are fans of shounen adventures or harems. so that pretty much explains it.

i personally don't get it considering some of my favorites are all or almost all-female main cast or feature a girl as the protagonist (madoka, nanoha, flip flappers, kill la kill, alien nine, gatchaman crowds, panty & stocking, puni puni poemi, k-on, lucky star, hells etc) so always looking forward to stuff like that
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 15, 2017 11:34 PM
Jan 2016
I would say that it is because of the trend of those singing idol anime (love live, locodol, idolmaster) and the "moe" design of the character.

To me personally, those kind of anime feels so full of fanservice to satisfy otaku that seek the character design, rather than a good story . I watched some video on youtube that interview people on akihabara that ask their currently favorite anime. Most answer love live and their reason is because you can meet the VA. It's even worse if it have ecchi tag on it (like kodomo no jikan).

Also, an all female cast with moe design most of the time will go for drama genre. An action genre is always gonna be more popular than a drama. That's why more action movie hollywood than a drama one.

It's true that some all female cast anime is good like railgun (top action anime), non non biyori (unique drama setting), and nichijou (really good humor), In fact, i watched those anime more than once. But it can't be denied that some all female cast is made just to capitalize on those hardcore otaku taste.

For people like me that doesn't qualify as otaku (doesn't buy any collectibles or poste etc, just streaming anime for free on internet), it's hard to watch anime that is particularly designed for specific kind of people.
May 15, 2017 11:39 PM

Apr 2017
alright the answer is simple... they get frustrated they cant complain and argue over who is best girl because theres no one that can choose; it essentially insults their masculinity lol.

personally i dont mind an all female cast
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
May 15, 2017 11:45 PM

Jan 2016
thatPinkSpider said:
Lol but hate on all-male cast animes is pretty popular too.

This, every all-male cast anime are labeled as fujoshit lately.
May 15, 2017 11:46 PM

Aug 2015
I think all-female cast is awesome. ;d

May 15, 2017 11:51 PM
Dec 2014
They can sometimes be executed very poorly.
May 16, 2017 1:20 AM

Oct 2014
The problem here is that their testosterone levels haven't dropped yet so they see cute things as being bad rather than correctly wanting to protect them. Don't worry, if their testosterone never drops they'll never be able to reproduce anyway so we'll have them out of the gene pool.

There are anime like Lucky Star, Binchou-tan, and Joshiraku that are meant for younger males so it's not like they're not old enough to enjoy them yet, it's more of a personal thing.
May 16, 2017 1:20 AM

Nov 2009
revoilt said:
I would say that it is because of the trend of those singing idol anime (love live, locodol, idolmaster) and the "moe" design of the character.

To me personally, those kind of anime feels so full of fanservice to satisfy otaku that seek the character design, rather than a good story . I watched some video on youtube that interview people on akihabara that ask their currently favorite anime. Most answer love live and their reason is because you can meet the VA. It's even worse if it have ecchi tag on it (like kodomo no jikan).

1) Kodomo no Jikan has a stereotypical "harem" cast: the main character is a male teacher, and he has 3 schoolgirls and a couple of female colleagues. And there are some more male characters too.
Just because you keep seeing the three schoolgirls in pictures, doesn't mean it has an all-female cast.
(And it isn't actually a harem, because only one colleague and one schoolgirl are interested in him)

2) Think of character designs as advertising. People come to see cute girls, but most of these anime provide way more than that. At least the ones that are remembered fondly provide more than that.
On the consumer side, when I see the anime is full of cute girls, I expect it to also contain other things that I like. You know - heartwarming, magical battles, comedy, yuri bait and other stuff men like. (and that is one of the reasons I dislike "dark magical girl" shows - false advertising)

revoilt said:
For people like me that doesn't qualify as otaku (doesn't buy any collectibles or poste etc, just streaming anime for free on internet), it's hard to watch anime that is particularly designed for specific kind of people.

Having watched anime meant for teenage girls, I say one should not place too much weight on target audience.
May 16, 2017 1:29 AM

Apr 2016
In 11/10 cases is all-female cast anime trash.
May 16, 2017 1:41 AM

Jan 2014
What if i say i don't watch anime with either full male or female casts? Xd
Full male is fujobait shit and all female i know i will find boring cuz most of em are SoL the genre i despise the most.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
May 16, 2017 1:46 AM

Mar 2016
All male cast gets a pass while all female cast is shitty otaku pandering with waifus and shit . Is that what you mean ?

Tbh, harem genre doesn't count as an all female cast first since there's the male protagonist. From my experience, all female cast anime are pretty good. I liked Love Live, and I'm enjoying Sakura Quest. I said before that I don't buy this whole "I don't like cuteness stuff". It's obviously being concealing cause every person has a place for cuteness in their heart, come on.
May 16, 2017 2:34 AM

Jun 2010
I usually pass on it because their is a very good chance of senseless yuri being prominent throughout the series. Same problem with all male casts only with yaoi obviously.
May 16, 2017 2:34 AM

Jul 2015
DragonSlayer_19 said:
All male cast gets a pass while all female cast is shitty otaku pandering with waifus and shit . Is that what you mean ?

I said before that I don't buy this whole "I don't like cuteness stuff". It's obviously being concealing cause every person has a place for cuteness in their heart, come on.

Well, I don't know much about how people view all-male anime, but just in general it seems that if it's all-female, instant shit, instant lack of plot, etc...

And yes, cuteness makes the world go round ^_^
May 16, 2017 3:03 AM

Aug 2015
It's not manly enough

Feel the manliness overwhelm you, embrace the manliness, become manliness and forsake moe-ism!

Actually fuck that, real men like moe!
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
May 16, 2017 3:06 AM

Nov 2011
There's nothing inherently wrong with having a gender-disproportionate cast, male or female.
May 16, 2017 3:07 AM

Jan 2013
Funny, in my exposure it's completely the other way around.

You should have seen Nyaa comments on anything without an all girl cast.
It was genuinely toxic.

Love Live fans hold this mindset to a particularly high degree.
May 16, 2017 3:13 AM

Nov 2016
An all female cast is almost a guarantee for having a good time, at least for me.

Most prejudiced men are probably afraid of their manliness or they just don't like to see girls doing "nothing".

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 16, 2017 3:39 AM

Jul 2010
Really? In most cases, I would prefer that due to the main male hero being a boring, useless tool.

It's even made more frustrating due to most promo art never featuring the male lead, so you don't really know who's the protagonist until you read the synopsis or watch the episode, only to be disappointed when it turns out that "oh, we're following this guy... a character so lame they don't even bother putting him in any of the posters."
May 16, 2017 4:09 AM

Jul 2013
Tbh, I have seen more people bitching about all-male casts than the reverse. You just have seen the reaction of the people when a male idol anime is announced.
In fact, I have never seen someone especifically complaining about the cast being all female.
May 16, 2017 4:14 AM
Dec 2013
Probably because there'd be no hint of romance in them (and tons of people like romance) and being unable to ship characters heterosexual-wise, since there are no male characters around (unlike in harem anime). I don't care about romance or shipping, so I'm fine with shows like these. The same thing could apply to anime with an all-male cast.
wildhoodMay 16, 2017 4:18 AM
May 16, 2017 4:38 AM

Jul 2015
wildhood said:
Probably because there'd be no hint of romance in them (and tons of people like romance) and being unable to ship characters heterosexual-wise, since there are no male characters around (unlike in harem anime). I don't care about romance or shipping, so I'm fine with shows like these. The same thing could apply to anime with an all-male cast.

True. I think one reason why I prefer all-female is so I can avoid feeling jealous at the male character for having romance, while here I am: 19 and still single XD
I can do without anime rubbing it in
May 16, 2017 4:47 AM

Jun 2012
I don't see that often myself, but I won't deny the experiences of others.

For me, all female casts have a lower range of quality. In my experience it's:

Good anime with both genders > Good anime with only girls > Bad anime with only girls > Bad anime with both genders.

Female only casts avoid a lot of the worst tropes, so for me there's a limit to how bad they can be. I'm not sure I've ever rated one lower than a 5, they're just perpetually inoffensive. But then the best anime with both genders are better than the best female only anime (that I've seen). As a general rule.
May 16, 2017 4:57 AM
Jul 2015
Because some people don't watch anime for the cutsey shit and panty shots
May 16, 2017 5:48 AM

Apr 2015
Really? This is a thing? Huh. Anime fans are more picky then I thought.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jan 7, 2021 7:38 AM
Jan 2016
Because I am a man of 30 years old and watching an anime with an all teenage girl cast makes me feel gross. Sorry but some of the shit they show for fanservice just steers me away from it. Always feel like the FBI will come banging at my door at any minute. Now if it is dark and twisted like puella magi madoka, then count me in because I love dark twisted anime.

More topics from this board

» What's a scene from an anime that you wish you could re-experience for the first time?

bucciest - Yesterday

17 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» Is your waifu wearing her kimono as she should be?

Catalano - Mar 13

18 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» The only solution to save VN adaptations is to have a Muv Luv anime

Catalano - Yesterday

13 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» Do your irl friends watch anime?

coolyfruity - 11 hours ago

20 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
11 minutes ago

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that? ( 1 2 )

funtime43_tr - May 23

53 by DesuMaiden »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.