Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2016 3:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Hmm and so that's how the revolution all began? For the sake of the future, a new world, and Marie's dreams...

Interesting. That last chapter and this one were pretty good to reinforce the story.
May 17, 2016 5:46 PM
Nov 2015
Well if you're going to look on historical angle I guess its a beginning of French Revolution

I saw the foreshadowed making of Guillotine which that device was invented during the revolution.
And in story, it focusing on bourgeoisie, Aristrocat and royalties about their lives and corruption.
Specially Marie Antoinette she'll taste the guillotine
May 18, 2016 10:30 AM

Aug 2015
Well, so that was all just a huge prelude...
Got to admit I didn't enjoy many things on this manga. The art made it all worth it though, and it sure has it's interesting points.
Looking foward to see Yolandi's revolution. :p
May 18, 2016 8:54 PM

Apr 2014
can't wait to read the sequel. it's too bad Alain died so quickly though
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2016 9:14 AM

Jul 2010
The art kinda made this manga for me, it had a lot of other things I didn't particularly like in it and it did felt rushed but hey atleast it got a sequel it seems.
Sep 3, 2016 2:52 AM
Aug 2011
Binge read this in a day, I honestly couldn't stop because 18th century France is always such a spectacle to witness.
And that artwork... that artwork!
Truly one of the most stunning manga art i've seen I'm blown away by everything because it is up my alley visual wise.
Long majestic hair, and clothing. Plump glossy lips and intense eyes... sign me the fuck up. I've truly enjoyed how this mangaka presents his characters.
I've seen him drawing lashes, lips, hair and it's my dream come true ahaha.

As per the manga itself, it's not flawless as I hoped it would be.
The beginning was so captivating but those last two volumes or so felt like it was handling too many threads and at once and we are left with more loose ends than before.
We were in so deep into Charles' world but he descend into the shadows (in more ways than one) once Marie took the spotlight more and more. I can't tell if that was the authors intention all along, or maybe halfway he said 'screw it let me focus more on this instead.'
I can personally forgive it though since I know Innocent Rouge exists, and my interest hasn't dwindled.
I'm not entirely versed as to why some manga has to "end" and have it's sequel split up like that instead of having it run constantly under one title. felt the same with Tokyo Ghoul Well I do know it changed magazines. Interesting.

In the end and despite all that I did love this manga quite a lot. I feel infatuated with it right now, earning a spot in my favs too.

Anyway more downfalls and drama incoming! Bring on the pretty and the ugly (that guillotine tho).
standSep 3, 2016 3:07 AM
Apr 23, 2018 3:39 AM

Jun 2014
That movie credits-like effect was really cool.

Looking forward to read Rouge as well.
Feb 26, 2019 10:28 AM

Aug 2013
Jeez, that sucks.

Can't believe this manga had such an unbelievably amazing start just to decline so much over the second half (a bit after Marie got big, to be precise). I fell in love with the art at first glance; I thought it was amazing how much feeling the expressions could deliver, how precise and indispensable each stroke seemed to be, how beautifully the period was recreated. I wasn't in love with Charles' character but his interactions with the compellingly diverse cast of characters glued me to the pages, and I was sure this would make it to my list of favourite manga.

I was skeptical of the top negative reviews calling the plot a mess and convoluted, since everything seemed so neat at the start. Unfortunately, they were right.

More than the plot slowly uncoiling into a mess of threads, I think what killed it for me is that the second half simply lacked what made the first so good: the supporting characters, and thoughtful development.

As I said, I was never in love with Charles' character, but his latter development made him into hot garbage. I understand why he acted the way he did, but still, purpose is meaningless if not in the right environment. As I said, the first half had a cast full of interesting secondary characters which made for compelling interactions with Charles, and the impact these interactions had on the story and everyone else. The second half shoved aside all those characters we had already learnt to hate and traded them for a new cast of uninteresting characters full of plots we obviously wouldn't get to see unravelling, nor did I care to see, as well as a bigger focus on Charles and Marie skirmishes — no, actually, just Marie. As I said Charles was hot garbage at this point, and I doubt anyone finished Innocent sharing any sympathy towards him.

And then, the development of the plot. Seriously, the pace towards the end is awkward, which made me realise why people thought it was a mess. Things started happening not only too fast, but suddenly. I couldn't help but chuckle the moment Marie took off her wig in the most "gotcha" moment, like some cheap punchline. Eventually the story became so annoying and boring I couldn't even care for the art anymore (which I took a while appreciating at each panel at the beginning), and just wanted to get to the end of it.
The, uh, "musical chapters" were also awkward as fuck, and though I think I get what the author intended with them, I didn't appreciate it.

So yeah, this was a manga I delayed for years to read and ended up being a huge disappointment. I still enjoyed the hell out of the start, but it became a real drag eventually.
Jul 24, 2019 5:49 PM

Dec 2015
started good and turned into a disappointing piece of crap such a waste
Dec 15, 2019 7:19 AM

Oct 2012
Not sure how people are stating it started good..

It was bad and continued to be bad in everything, except the art, the atmosphere and the idea.

BUT the art was absolutely stellar.. absolutely 11/10.

And the whole depiction and the atmosphere deserves a 10...

As much as I disliked actually reading the manga as it was rather dull and predictable, since it is literally a semi documentary type in all senses - I can't really rate this any lower than a 9 without feeling guilty.

Absolute must read for those who feel like reading 'history lessons'.. but for those who don't feel like enriching their views into the world of ~1700s - you won't really find anything to keep you reading aside of the stellar artwork.
Enlightening, but not as much as reading a history book. Beautiful, but not as productive as reading a history book.. so while an absolute brilliant work which might have been worthy of being called masterpiece - it sadly falls short because of the genre it decided on.

It's nice to see that author is developing with each series - starting with pretty pathetic typical action manga to the great work that climber is to this breathtaking beauty.
Got my hopes up that one day this author will finally give birth to a true masterpiece.
Aug 18, 2020 5:06 AM

Dec 2013
I actually enjoyed the first few parts of the story and I wondered how Charles will change the world just how the way he is but he turned out to be a dislikeable person that may be far from the title of this series "Innocent". Anyway, people and feelings change. He's been through a lot of stuff. I'm a sucker for baddass female character and I like Marie's character and how she was featured in a lot of chapters. I thought she will end up with Andre (seems like a good man) but after meeting her first love again, it sucks how he died quickly.

The art is magnificent. The style fits perfectly to the atmosphere. While reading this, I can't help but to think on how people can draw so beautifully?

I hope there will be a sequel for this though. Wish to see Marie more.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Aug 25, 2020 9:02 AM

Oct 2012
_kukiyomenai said:
I actually enjoyed the first few parts of the story and I wondered how Charles will change the world just how the way he is but he turned out to be a dislikeable person that may be far from the title of this series "Innocent". Anyway, people and feelings change. He's been through a lot of stuff. I'm a sucker for baddass female character and I like Marie's character and how she was featured in a lot of chapters. I thought she will end up with Andre (seems like a good man) but after meeting her first love again, it sucks how he died quickly.

The art is magnificent. The style fits perfectly to the atmosphere. While reading this, I can't help but to think on how people can draw so beautifully?

I hope there will be a sequel for this though. Wish to see Marie more.

There is not only a sequel but it's also already finished - it's called Innocent Rouge and follows Marie and the approximate ''course of history'
Jan 25, 2021 5:42 PM

May 2010
Pretty good. The obligatory comment about how great the art is.

I’ve read and watched Marie Antoinette’s story multiple times - movies, her biography, & Rose of Versailles of course, and this had a pretty good adaptation of her life, minus the over-sexualization of her. The story about Madame Du Barry has been told over and over and this didn’t add much new really. I’ll read the sequel to see the rest of her story told out though.

The rest of the series had a lot of potential. A story about a family of executioners? Lots of material to work with. But imo it gets too hung up on over the top gore and sex, and villains that get too cartoony, like the Duke.
Sep 22, 2021 7:30 AM

Feb 2019
I binged this in over a day. It's indisputable how good the art is — and the use of visual metaphors as well. On the other hand, maybe because I read the chapters back to back, I noticed so many continuation issues, plot threads that start in the text and then get thrown away with no resolution, inconsistencies in the character writing, etc.

The more historical parts of plot were the better (still not great) ones, it actually puts a nice spin on it, namely Marie Antoinette's. I would've preferred if Damiens execution had been more horrific, how it is portrayed in reports. The more fictional part... Uh... It didn't vibe with me a whole lot. I've grown such animosity towards Charles-Henri that I sighed every time he showed up in a chapter. I still don't know if that's a point in favor of the manga or not, the jury is still out on that one. It absolutely hammers over the reader's head the themes it explores in the most superficial of ways. Barely no subtlety in the text and I think a work that deals with visual metaphors so well, it would've been the better choice. It, at times, comes across as a fever dream propaganda piece.

I understand this is just "half" of the story, so maybe the issues I noticed with the writing will get resolved. However, the one-note villains and deus ex-machina seem to be here to stay. For sure, what I really, really enjoyed about it the most was the visual aspect of the manga. I find it hard to appreciate the writing or even recommend this manga at all because of it, though.
Mar 1, 2022 12:26 PM
Jul 2019
Lfg! 3rd time reading and still holds up. Homolust energy, goated visual metaphor and the "loudness" of its way of expressing things makes it even more goated. Damiens execution shit was 11/10, whole marie spider thing is amazing, antoinette is lovely. Whole story structure even with all the timeskips still makes everything fit so well. It's use of gore is mostly very strong & it's accentuated by the hyper detailed art. Hairstyles & faces look overly shiny, but they are also kino for the sake of being a depiction of 17th century frenchies. Though alain was a fairly random and cheap character(bc his role was fairly one dimensional nd he got introduced in a shoehorned fashion), and the final 2 vols came off as not perfectly paced. One could say Charles becoming corrupted and villainous was rushed, though its also not warranted to be a slow, gradual turn in character progression cus ion think it wanted to make him seem empathic in any way, and it's setting up for the events in Marie's later arc.

Mar 2, 2022 12:31 AM
Mar 2021
Even thought marie is a popular character, she was my main problem with the story (specially her Hair style witch just Wasnt in my taste, so dont need to care about that much) how can a 11 years old Child kill bunch of adults easily?? It doesnt make sense. Marie changed a bit sinc she was 6 years old. The thing that made me quiestion, was in chapter 40, when marthe put the Hot Iron in her chest and After a moment, she just jumped and hurt marthe! How? How did she move? She got hurt so badly, it was so bad that she pissed herself, then how did she just Jump that high? I was expecting her to Faint.
The Second problem was that the side characters disappeared. Louis, nicolas, marthe and the others. The only Focus went on marie and every thing happened so Fast, every thing was good until chapter 40. Even Charles become the Second main character and became the bad guy, i Know that He had to change, but change must Take time, not so suddenly. Even the art style got dark and ullikeable After about 60 chapters
Mar 7, 2022 11:34 AM
Nov 2018
I thought the art was great, great texturing, metaphors to express an event interestingly, and great character designs, but the characters sort of fell apart by the 2nd half, especially Henri who just got completely sidelined.
Feb 19, 2023 6:45 PM

Jun 2015
Welp like everybody else, I thought this was a hot mess. I actually liked the 2nd part of the series better just because I found Marie to have better arcs than Charles. I wanted to like Charles but his motivations were confusing to follow, and although i understand he became more like his father in order to protect the Samson family name, the logical transition towards that was nonsensical and rushed and felt very contradictory to his previous established character. I was found him to just be really annoying at parts. I wasn't going to read Innocent Rouge but i might have to if it primarily follows Marie since she honestly carried the story
Apr 20, 2023 11:31 PM

Oct 2018
Why did Charles suddenly abandon his ideals? Was it because he was forced to execute a large number of people in one day, causing him to turn into someone like his father so easily? While I understand that his character arc involved a starry-eyed idealist becoming jaded by events that happened around him, the execution of his transformation was confusing and felt rushed. It felt like I had skipped a few chapters

Marie's character arc is even worse. She went from being a strong and clever independent character who was cruel and egoistical, caring only about her own wants, to suddenly becoming a tsundere-ish, shy, and compassionate maiden. The catalyst for this change was a character that only appeared in the last few chapters, and the transformation itself happened with only a few lines of dialogue in the past. Throughout the story, Marie's brother repeatedly says the same things that Alain does, but it never seems to reach her heart. Instead, she doubles down on her cruelty by prolonging the pain of the people she executes. Then, when she meets Alain again, she suddenly has a flashback and a change of heart?

Once again, the problem is not with the character arc itself, but with the execution. At least with Charles, I can see a clear plotline, but with Marie, it feels more like character assassination than an arc.
Dec 21, 2023 6:39 PM
Oct 2020
Marie carried the story but it was still a mess to me at least
Feb 1, 3:36 PM

Jan 2020
The visual metaphors were great and the imagery was quite over the top, with the dialogue and themes being anything but subtle. But is that a bad thing? No, not really. I actually kinda liked it because it felt like some sort of stage play you'd see in the 1700s, fitting of the time period this manga takes place in. i think the story itself was alright, the first 40 chapters or so was peak, with the height of it being the damiens arc. I think the story kinda devolved as it progressed after the time skip though. I didnt particularly care too much about Louis philippe and the likes. The supporting cast for the first half was way better, with Jean-baptiste, damiens, nicholas, charles, and what not (fuck subyss though). They just felt more believable than the caricatures to come in the second half. Atleast Marie grew on me though. Couldnt particularly care about the austria--france relationship thing but I assume that build up will be important in the sequel, so whatever.

and WTF was the alain shit? I feel like he got introduced way too late (and way too suddenly! unless if i misread some foreshadowing) into the story for me to actually care about him or his school, it didnt feel like anything substantial other than a plot progression point for marie's character development. I get that theres a sequel but even so, he got introduced half-way into the story. The count de lux or whatever the fuck his name was is a laughably cartoonish villain (burning down a school for no reason other than rich bad!). I hope he dies ASAP in the rouge sequel, cant stand seeing much more of him.

Even despite the flaws (mainly just the inconsistency of the plot), this manga was still a pretty good read and the art was absolutely breath-taking, as per expected from Shinichi. I felt like he elevated the imagery to heights even better than that of the Climber. Truly hes honed his skill.
man.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Innocent Chapter 6 Discussion

MatijaxD - Sep 28, 2014

8 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
May 10, 9:08 AM

Poll: » Innocent Chapter 63 Discussion

MayCastle - Dec 28, 2017

1 by Kajo_Senpai69 »»
Apr 21, 9:56 PM

Poll: » Innocent Chapter 41 Discussion

amoonwuw - Jul 28, 2022

3 by Akash2022 »»
Mar 7, 7:32 AM

Poll: » Innocent Chapter 98 Discussion

photophobic - Mar 3, 2020

1 by astoneon »»
Feb 1, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Innocent Chapter 60 Discussion

MayCastle - Dec 28, 2017

4 by astoneon »»
Jan 31, 2:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.