Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2014 2:54 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh Matsuarou and his daydreams never ceases~

The episode was alright I guess. I wasn't surprised that he got nervous as hell when he came to visit his dream girl though. Now if he only didn't have a bad reputation in the news. And damn, he really is someone that can get on a person's nerves lol
Stark700Apr 26, 2014 3:43 PM
Apr 26, 2014 4:12 PM
Nov 2012
It's a pretty slow burn but I like how this show is building. I like that unlike most anime, we're seeing real character development, not just a fully formed stereotype from the start.

I wouldn't mind if it moved a little faster but I'll keep watching to see where it goes. I think that given a few more episodes, Sakaguchi, who's already starting to grow on me, might actually become a likable character. I'm glad I didn't follow my initial instinct to drop the show after it's first episode.
Apr 26, 2014 6:26 PM

Apr 2014
Some good laughs in this week's episode. Maximum trolling in the train.
Apr 26, 2014 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
I never expected that Reiko liked sumo wrestler.
Apr 26, 2014 8:06 PM
Apr 2014
Tohka_Yatogami said:

This is too convenient, in my mind. I suspect Matsutarou's other teacher (the aging male one who took him job hunting) called her in advance and explained the situation to her, including the likelihood that Matsu would come for a visit. Armed with full knowledge of both Matsu's crush on her (which she probably already had an inkling of) and how Sumo is Matsu's best shot at success, Minami-sensei is 'encouraging' (manipulating is more like it, but she has his best interests at hart) Matsu into pursuing Sumo- leaving behind the loser he was becoming/had become.

(Of course there is probably a kernal of truth in Reiko's appeal of athletes. The best lies are those based on truth.)
Apr 26, 2014 10:13 PM
Jan 2011
Man, those Sumo should have beated the crap out of Saakaguchi.
Apr 26, 2014 11:55 PM

Sep 2013
I agree. They're too considerate of him. The fact that those other sumo wrestler are now "docile" leads me to think there's hope for Matsutaro. I'm glad the lady of his dreams is encouraging him. Although doesn't she seem a little too over enthusiastic about it? But I guess at this point, she just wants him to dedicate himself into doing something productive. I wanna see some sumo fighting soon! He needs to get his ass kicked, yo!
Apr 27, 2014 3:20 AM

Jul 2009
lukkassu said:
Tohka_Yatogami said:

This is too convenient, in my mind. I suspect Matsutarou's other teacher (the aging male one who took him job hunting) called her in advance and explained the situation to her, including the likelihood that Matsu would come for a visit. Armed with full knowledge of both Matsu's crush on her (which she probably already had an inkling of) and how Sumo is Matsu's best shot at success, Minami-sensei is 'encouraging' (manipulating is more like it, but she has his best interests at hart) Matsu into pursuing Sumo- leaving behind the loser he was becoming/had become.

(Of course there is probably a kernal of truth in Reiko's appeal of athletes. The best lies are those based on truth.)

Could be, could be. But you can refer to it in another way. it's called plot. There's a natural possibility that there was no contact, and that were her honest feelings.

On another note ,if they want to control Matsutaro, they should just hire her, since she can literally control his actions with a few words.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Apr 27, 2014 3:23 AM

Jan 2011
I'm wondering if he can actually learn manners.
Apr 27, 2014 8:27 AM

Apr 2014
Boombawks said:
And the OP is so legit lol for some strange reason, the OP makes me laugh but it's legit.

I love it. Quite possibly my favorite of the season. :3 The purple, glittery dragon garb seals the deal.
Apr 28, 2014 8:03 AM
Apr 2012
This series is growing on me, even Matsutarou is as we see tidbits of potential attitude change. The train scend was funny and we get to see more of Reiko who likes sumo wrestlers, another reason for Matsutarou to take it seriously. The OP is still wonderful.
Apr 28, 2014 9:47 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
ReaperCreeper said:
I'm wondering if he can actually learn manners.

Same here.
And that scene with Reiko seems weird, in a couple of ways lol.... let's just see how this goes

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Apr 28, 2014 8:46 PM
Nov 2013
Funny episode, I hope Matsutaro gets his ass beat by the other sumo wrestlers next week
Apr 29, 2014 3:14 AM
Dec 2010
lejon_brames said:
Funny episode, I hope Matsutaro gets his ass beat by the other sumo wrestlers next week

Same here. I see some improvement in this show, but he is overdue for being made humble in quite a big way, and if he get's away with all his stuff, I might actually drop it. He is just such a big piece of s*t.
Apr 29, 2014 4:50 PM
Nov 2010
I'm enjoying his bristling personality. Some of the things he says totally are unexpected and incredulous in an entertaining way. Like the train scene where he asked for a seat, then asked to trade the seat, then asked to move over so he could stretch out his legs, then asked to drink someone else's drink but drank it before they answered...lol. I was like :OOOO The only thing that's kinda bothering me is Reiko- it's an innocence or naieveness that's on the verge of irritating. I can't really articulate why, I suppose it's mainly because the way she treats him seems to really be exasperating the problem-that-is-Matsutarou. But I feel like both the sumo world and her might also eventually help him grow into an outstanding individual- maybe into an Ippo in 5-10 years? lol xD I doubt it. But it'd be crazy to see that sorta change.

I can see why people might drop it because of how annoying he is- but I only really found it irritating the first episode, after that, seeing the direction of the show it feels like this show has a lot of potential because he has a lot of potential. I'm anxiously waiting to see him actually grow an in interest into sumo wrestling and actually want to become better like Takumi from Initial D, First Stage. Witnessing that transformation process as a character was pretty interesting.
May 2, 2014 11:06 AM

Mar 2009
woah~ Reiko love Sumo Wrestling~ it will spark Matsutarou's interest in the sport :D
May 3, 2014 8:35 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode. Nice slow progression.
May 5, 2014 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
SHIT lol he's a fucking RIOT

CHARACTER OF THE MILLENNIUM
May 5, 2014 8:59 PM

Jul 2012
if he stopped acting like a dick, i might like this show more

but otherwise, still decent. refreshing. simple.
May 22, 2017 4:31 PM

Nov 2007
Awww the master and madam of the stable were so earnest and nice :'( poor people.

That ending was way too convenient and in Matsutaro's favor he needs more comeuppance. If you read it as she's manipulating him it does make more sense though...

Nov 1, 2020 3:31 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hmm it's going to be hard for him to stay in Tokyo but at least he has the sensei xD she's so sweet
Oct 16, 2023 8:50 PM

Mar 2022
ughhh no.. just NO!

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘

More topics from this board

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - May 31, 2014

10 by JoseSalsa »»
Aug 19, 2022 7:06 PM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

30 by Ashhk »»
Nov 5, 2020 9:23 AM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

10 by Ashhk »»
Nov 5, 2020 8:41 AM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

11 by Ashhk »»
Nov 5, 2020 7:56 AM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

14 by Ashhk »»
Nov 5, 2020 5:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.