Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 20, 2010 4:17 PM
May 2010
@Pheefa

If anything's to be known Yuasa deviated much from the novel's flow. The novel is quite distant from the anime, Quarkboy told me that. He's made the series his baby.
Jun 20, 2010 8:24 PM

Jun 2009
physics223 said:
@Pheefa

If anything's to be known Yuasa deviated much from the novel's flow. The novel is quite distant from the anime, Quarkboy told me that. He's made the series his baby.

I wouldn't say it deviates from the novel's flow, rather it deviates from the novel's way of constructing the story. Basically the flow (different universes being played out) is the same, we just get fundamentally different stories and have a basically very different atmosphere.

While the novel has a rather ethereal, fairy tale like structure and is a bit more nostalgic and almost sad in undertone, the anime is very energetic and fast. They both have their own points...right now I would almost say that the anime is much more direct about what it wants to get across.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jun 20, 2010 8:38 PM
May 2010
seizonsha said:
physics223 said:
@Pheefa

I wouldn't say it deviates from the novel's flow, rather it deviates from the novel's way of constructing the story. Basically the flow (different universes being played out) is the same, we just get fundamentally different stories and have a basically very different atmosphere.

While the novel has a rather ethereal, fairy tale like structure and is a bit more nostalgic and almost sad in undertone, the anime is very energetic and fast. They both have their own points...right now I would almost say that the anime is much more direct about what it wants to get across.

Noted. Thank you. :)
Jun 20, 2010 11:26 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah man. This is becoming one of my favorite series. I'm talking like top 5, none of that "I have like fifty favorite series" shit.

Is the novel being translated, does anyone know?
Jun 21, 2010 7:29 AM

Aug 2009
I know the novel will have a different atmosphere, which is why I want to read it. I will have to read it for myself to actually be able to get a feel for it. So thanks for your points, but I'd rather decide for myself =3
The point is that this anime is an interpretation, and I'd like to read the novel so I can try to understand where the anime came from, and if I would interpret it differently.

Personally, my favourite aspect of this anime is actually the visual aspect, rather than the flow of the story (which is still superb) And the brilliant voice acting, of course.

It would be great if the novel is translated, I doubt it will though =[ I will have to make do with the Japanese.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jun 21, 2010 8:13 AM

Aug 2009
I sure hope Yuasa comes up with something else someday......

Like a mecha anime :P (look, he's done his horror, his romance, and now his romcom/slice-of-life. I'd like to see him give it a try)
Jun 21, 2010 11:52 PM

Dec 2007
I'm not sure I'd call Kemonozume "horror", and I personally think it had more romance than Kaiba (which I'm assuming you're referring to as "romance").

What I love about Yuasa's shows is that there's a little bit of everything. He doesn't seem content to confine his story within one specific genre. He has a vision for the show and he makes sure it gets done. That has always impressed me.

As far as this episode, it was, of course, fantastic. Seeing Watashi react upon finding out that Ozu hadn't been simply wasting his time in college sure was interesting. Maybe it'll lead him to eventually seizing that opportunity that is hanging right in front of him...
Jun 22, 2010 12:13 AM

Jun 2009
Pheefa said:

It would be great if the novel is translated, I doubt it will though =[ I will have to make do with the Japanese.

Ah well...who knows.
After I found out that Kemono no Sousha, the source novels of Kûchû Buranko and the first Guin Saga novels got translated into German...and the source novel for Loups=Garous which is going to be released this year was translated to English...I'm surprised by nothing anymore.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jun 23, 2010 6:18 AM
Dec 2009
physics223 said:
@Pheefa

Every show I translate is my baby.

This one just takes 48 hours of labor or so...
Jun 23, 2010 10:21 AM
May 2010
How perceptions rapidly change! We've thought of Higuchi before as just a bad apple, but he's the one who's actually told Watashi what he needed to hear this episode. Once a pest, he has modified his role as some sort of foil. Here is the extended take of mine.
Jun 23, 2010 12:47 PM

Jun 2008
physics223 said:
How perceptions rapidly change! We've thought of Higuchi before as just a bad apple, but he's the one who's actually told Watashi what he needed to hear this episode. Once a pest, he has modified his role as some sort of foil. Here is the extended take of mine.

The fact that the development of every character involved is based on our own misconceptions about them is one of my favourite things about this show. Postmodernism is all about this. Gotta give it another read to that.

About the episode itself, it was delightfully painful, as always.

Now the mystery of "who was THAT at the end of episode 5" is pretty much solved. The Watashi of ep 10 won't join any clubs and he'll become a hikkikomori. At some point he'll probably try to escape, only to find himself in the same room over and over again. Awesome.
Jun 26, 2010 4:20 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Woooo I'm confused after watching this episode and even more confused after reading the different theories you guys have!
p r o f i l e 👀
Jul 4, 2010 7:38 PM

Jul 2008
I love your guys hypothesis.

I see it this way: Ozu who is much uglier and awkward looking than Watashi who is relatively normal looking has enjoyed a life much greater than Watashi. I'm getting the feeling Masaaki is giving us a hint to stop trying to be socially awkward.
Oct 14, 2010 3:29 PM

Feb 2008
I notice some details in this episode are changed slightly, more interesting because of the bad ending..
Nov 15, 2010 3:10 AM

Jun 2009
I love this show.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 13, 2011 12:08 AM

May 2010
Great episode. Like what others said, it basically shows how unsatisfied with his current life Watashi is.

And Higuchi's speech indeed will put up Watashi's character development.

Also, no time reset this time. I think this is getting nearer for a solid wrapping up next episodes.
Apr 4, 2012 12:15 PM

Mar 2008
Awesome episode, nearly makes up for the past episodes about the doll/johnny/other girls (didn't like that at all xD).
Aug 7, 2012 8:26 PM

Apr 2012
Great episode - like I had hoped, we get some more insight into Ozu's character here which is something I appreciated.

Also, I like how they are bringing together all these different elements from the various storylines to make a cohesive picture of what is going on. It appears that these alternate universes have a lot more commonalities than I had originally thought.
Sep 20, 2012 6:19 PM

Sep 2008
Master has finally shown to be a master to Watashi: the speech about possibilities was really well-spoken.

'Nothing is rose-colored in this world. Everything is a bunch of colors mixed up.' - best caption of this episode.

The whole organization seems hilarious, plus the way its leader lost his whole power and Ozu gave it Watashi. I'm starting to think that this is going to end in a completely mind-blowing way.
Feb 28, 2013 9:41 AM

Apr 2012
videoflesh said:
That was incredible.
I think I'm going to have to watch it again before I can sort out all my thoughts on it, haha.

On a basic level, though, I was really pleased with the character development in this one- Aijima /intentionally/ playing the idiot for Jougasaki, Ozu being a lovesick fool at heart, and the master being given a more serious treatment.

I agree, the character development in this episode was great.
Jun 15, 2013 7:17 PM

Dec 2011
Fabulous episode.. wow. I can't get over how everything fits together in every timeline. I have a feeling that I'll be revisiting this episode in particular many times in the future.

Master Higuchi's speech was my favorite part, but there's so many revelations in this episode, too. For a while I was convinced that Ozu was really in love with Akashi, and would turn out to be Watashi's rival, but now I see he's not. I'm surprised and confused though.. because the Honkawa girl really looked like Keiko-chan, and not whatever the Honkawa girl was shown to be in the past.

Anyway.. can't believe it's almost the end.
Jun 29, 2013 7:27 PM
Apr 2011
Emmrys said:
Fabulous episode.. wow. I can't get over how everything fits together in every timeline. I have a feeling that I'll be revisiting this episode in particular many times in the future.

Master Higuchi's speech was my favorite part, but there's so many revelations in this episode, too. For a while I was convinced that Ozu was really in love with Akashi, and would turn out to be Watashi's rival, but now I see he's not. I'm surprised and confused though.. because the Honkawa girl really looked like Keiko-chan, and not whatever the Honkawa girl was shown to be in the past.

Anyway.. can't believe it's almost the end.

i think the point of the way they were drawn is to show them as idealized fantasy women

they dont even have their facial features filled in
Jul 6, 2013 4:09 PM

May 2012
Parts of some old chapters combined in this one... well I'm really wondering what they have to offer for closure in the next 2 episodes!
Jul 19, 2013 4:36 PM

Jul 2009
excellent episode :D

if you have the money you can have all the things you want, but it'll never satisfy you as a whole person.

shame Watashi is still stupid to realize what he has done, i feel sorry for Akashi :(

you deserve that slap bastard!

wow Ozu actually has a girlfriend O___O

and it's Keiko-san!

i also love Higuchi's speech.

there is definitely no such thing as a rose colored world only a bunch of mixed colored ones thrown together.

i think it's pretty good of Higuchi to mention that you be anyone that you want, but if keep pressing on unrealistic goals you'll never achieve anything that you want.

and tbh why does he want a rose colored life anyway? i mean isn't spending time with his close friends(Hanuki, Akashi, Jougasaki) enough?

he's just making it worse each time he expects something magically to happen.

i wonder if Watashi will end up with Akashi or stay lonely for the rest of his life?

also why the hell he hasn't given the white Mochigumon?

oh man i just remembered on how Akashi mentioned here where she always loses the Mochigumon, but yet it always comes back whenever she's not searching for it.

it could be Mochigumon is Watashi and she keeps losing it because Watashi keeps drifting away in every episodes.

also it's colored White, i bet at the end she may say it's her favorite Mochigumon(doubtful though)

and why is Akashi scared of moths :P

last two episodes :(
Aug 24, 2013 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
Great character development
Apr 13, 2014 3:46 AM

Nov 2012
damn no rewind this time? seems he has learned the most in this timeline, but is also in the worst position as he became the bad guy this time and even stole Akashi's Birdman thing. Didnt even seem to have any tender moments with Akashi this time around. why cant this guy grab the chance thats so obvious right there!
Slaine did nothing wrong.
Feb 16, 2015 9:22 PM

Mar 2014
Really interesting episode.
I'm still not sure I understand everything in the series, but the story is getting more and more interesting, and it's not just rote exposition like most series, either, the storytelling is done wonderfully, despite being complex.
I really enjoyed the monologue by the master after he returned the book, really powerful stuff.
Two more episodes to go. I hope the finale is as good as it's shaping up to be.
::End of Transmission::

Feb 22, 2015 5:56 AM

Dec 2013
no time rewind this time, eh?
I hope it will be explained why they occurred in the first place..
Feb 25, 2015 6:51 PM

Aug 2010
Holy Ozu had a girlfriend!?

No reset this time. Expecting a lot in the last two episodes.
Mar 9, 2015 2:40 AM

Dec 2013
Wow Ozu is beyond devious in this episode

Loved all of the references to earlier episodes.
Apr 2, 2015 7:04 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Watashi realised when he saw that Ozu didn't waste his life, there was meaning behind all of his actions! Watashi realising his faults = no time travel
Apr 2, 2015 3:27 PM

May 2012
interesting how it tied back to the softball episode, and no rewind this time :o i wonder where this is going
May 4, 2015 4:57 AM
Nov 2014
Damn...the master spoken the truth about Watashi, he never really appreciate himself for who he is. The arts are masterclass as usual, overall a very good episode.
May 11, 2015 1:50 PM

Feb 2015
So everything always happens but Watashi's role is different and Ozu actually has a girlfriend and the Master had some wise words this episode.

Great character development this episode aswell.

Best episode so far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2015 5:34 AM
May 2012
Awesome revelations this episode.
Master proves why he is master. Those are some words of wisdom.
Let's see how this will end.
Jul 2, 2015 9:47 AM

Aug 2014
This anime is beginning to be very deep, talking about many life lessons and universal truths
I can't wait to see how it's gonna finish in these last two episodes.
Aug 15, 2015 5:19 PM

Mar 2012
No reset? What madness is this.
Sep 4, 2015 3:34 AM

Sep 2014
So he keeps sitting in the middle of the 4.5 tatami room instead of going through another rewind. Things are coming to an end now. I guess the most important message for him to realise was that there isn't a perfect life but that life is multi-colored and that he shouldn't hang on to possibilities he has if he was another person but to those he has as the person he is right now. Actually, I think the second part was the reason for the rewinds to stop and him staying in the tatami room (aka staying as he is).

Looking forward to the last couple of episodes as I expect them to be a continuous finale.
Nov 22, 2015 3:47 PM

Aug 2014
It is getting better and better ( with the exception of Episode 6 being the best )
i wonder how will this anime end .
I'm in love with the OST
Jan 16, 2016 1:18 AM

Aug 2014
That revelation about Ozu though...
sup
Jan 17, 2016 6:07 AM

Jul 2013
Ozu is by far the most interesting character of the series. I guess because he has an awesome master. Excellent episode as always.
Aug 18, 2016 3:59 AM

Jul 2008
Maybe the Master is a god afterall...
Feb 4, 2017 4:38 AM

Oct 2012
Wow... Wow
That's really deep

So many questions I want to ask
"Signature removed"
May 11, 2018 3:07 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Quarkboy said:
In my interpretation: Everything that happens always happens in each timeline.

The only difference is the role of Watashi in the events (and sometimes the roles of the other people filling in for him).

Akashi is always in the cycling club and movie club, then changes to birdman and disciple in her second year.
Ozu always meets Kohinata-san in his first year in the tennis club and then joins the secret society to get close to her (as Honwaka is one of their branches). He also always does the fireworks to get revenge on the tennis club (or perhaps as part of a plot for the secret society). Ozu's greatest loyalty always seems to be with the Master, however.
Higuchi always reads 20,000 leagues way past its due date and then decides to go on a journey after his generation of the proxy proxy war is finished.
Ozu and Higuchi always create the film on Jougasaki's private life using the hidden camera footage captured by Aijima which was made in order to discredit Jougasaki so Aijima could impress Akashi, but ends up being used by Ozu as an attack of the proxy proxy war.
Hanuki always goes out drinking with Jougasaki after hearing that her boyfriend, Higuchi, has decided to go on a journey after the proxy proxy war is over, attempting to drown her sorrows, and is helped home by Ozu.
Ozu always infiltrates Honwaka the night of Gozan, steals the blimp intending to take away Kohinata to fly over the mountains and see all 5 giant pictures/letters at once, is always brought down by Aijima, then chased all the way to the bridge in the first episode, where a furious Aijima and Jougasaki (who thinks it was Ozu that stole Kaori, I think) are trying to get him.

Each of these parts of the story (and probably many others I'm forgetting) are basically constant... Although sometimes Watashi would be involved or replace one of the character's roles (like being Higuchi's successor instead of Akashi, or being the CCCC's leader instead of Ozu, etc...)

Makes sense, but honestly it was very hard for me to understand the all episodes till now if not for this.
Aug 8, 2018 3:31 AM

May 2016
Even if it was usually pretty funny to see him waste his time not learning from his mistakes, it became pretty depressing. The things he thought he wanted for so long were finally handed over to him but he didn't feel any real sense of fulfillment even with those things on hand. It looked like he even vaguely realized what that dangling opportunity was because of Akashi directly denying him this time around and the hole in his heart that came soon after.

When Higuchi said that there was no rose-colored campus life, he took it in a hopelessly wrong and negative way thinking everything he does and will do will amount to nothing in the end. I can relate to him because I've been there...

What was even sadder was the part when he found that Ozu had a girlfriend all along. From what I believe, his despair wasn't because he couldn't believe that annoying yokai got a hot girlfriend, but it was rather the realization that the guy he secretly saw as a friend he can relate to with his woes in every way didn't waste his two years as bad as he did, thus locking himself in his room until further notice.

Oct 8, 2018 7:18 PM

May 2018
Ozu had a girlfriend?! How in the hell did that happen?

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
May 17, 2019 6:07 PM

Dec 2018
Some much needed, straightforward character development. Ozu having meaningful goals doesn't surprise me. He seems like a much better person than Watashi, despite his portrayal so far in the series. Watashi should've been taking notes from Ozu on how to really enjoy whatever he's doing instead of half-assing everything.
Aug 28, 2019 7:09 PM

Aug 2017
I liked how things started to come along and the real story is progressing well. So, Ozu has a girlfriend.

No rewind at the end this time.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 15, 2019 8:00 AM

May 2018
Wow, I don't know how to feel about this. But this anime is getting better and better, this episode is a great explanation for the whole anime. I was confused when I first watched the first 2 episodes, but then understand it later. Best episode so far, simply because this is a mixture of the first 8 episodes of the anime, even have the explanation for what was the main character's goal in the whole anime. Love this, especially how Ozu acts on this episode.

Nov 9, 2019 11:49 AM

Mar 2016
This ep is phenomenal in that it's not only the beginning of what may be a grand revelation of the events that have happened throughout the story, it's also a meaningful ep that really delves into the character of Watashi, rewinding the time to live out a different life is nothing more than a mere thought it seems. It's all part of the 'possibilities' Watashi have thought up. Just as Higuchi said, Watashi have been relying on other possibilities to get his wish, his wish to live out a rose-coloured college life. Of course, as what happened to all the eps before this, all the possibilities so far has been a failure, therefore a new ep meant one of the many possibilities he has thought up That is a huge plot twist about all of this!

In this possibility, Watashi delves into the shady business of the Lucky Cat Chinese Restaurant which handles all the secret events happening around the university. It's interesting that he would go down this route knowing that Akashi would be genuinely mad at him, even slapping him for real! All the while Ozu raise to the top. And now this is what's weird. It may just be because Watasi is unknowingly mixing up his thought up possibilities, but that's exactly what we got here. A past event is intertwined with the current event. Ozu raised to the top to have the access of being able to hijack Honoka company airship to take the daughter away for a date which ended up crashing after being shot down by the former leader, Aijima. Not too sure what to really think to know all this now except that I'm curious at what's happening for sure.

What hits the hardest here is that Ozu have been enjoying wasting his life away while Watashi have done the opposite. Despite the various possibilities he has relied on.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

152 by Karva1 »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ESSWHY - Apr 22, 2010

332 by Karva1 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

controlmajortom - Jul 1, 2010

352 by PsychicSensor »»
Apr 30, 9:32 PM

» Do many people have trouble with the speed of the dialogue?

Temoblanks - May 29, 2020

20 by Chaplin87 »»
Apr 28, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Jun 3, 2010

98 by haydnwright »»
Apr 21, 1:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.