Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 1 Discussion


#1
Apr 22, 2010 12:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1443
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
They talk fast.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
 
#2
Apr 22, 2010 12:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 267
They do talk very fast and I'm happy that Funi decided to pick this one up.

inb4pretentious
 
#3
Apr 22, 2010 12:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 243
The first episode was pretty different from what I expected.
I was quite suprised that they inserted a whole cycle into just one episode, but it was fun and the fast talking really fit the characters.
To make it short, I loved it...but maybe only because I know the novel, for anybody not knowing where this is going, this episode had to be quite a mindfuck in terms of cramming information into your brain XD
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
 
#4
Apr 22, 2010 12:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 17
ESSWHY said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
They talk fast.


LOL SRSLY ..... had trouble keeping up with the subs. Interesting show to say the least.
 
#5
Apr 22, 2010 1:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2516
Jesus Christ! They were talking way too fast for me >_<
 
#6
Apr 22, 2010 1:31 PM
SHSL Sugar Daddy

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1745
Can't wait for this being subbed!
 
#7
Apr 22, 2010 1:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2516
rarri said:
Can't wait for this being subbed!


...It's already subbed.
 
#8
Apr 22, 2010 1:47 PM
SHSL Sugar Daddy

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1745
DrakeWants2Speak said:
rarri said:
Can't wait for this being subbed!


...It's already subbed.


Cool. Where?
 
#9
Apr 22, 2010 1:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2516
rarri said:
DrakeWants2Speak said:
rarri said:
Can't wait for this being subbed!


...It's already subbed.


Cool. Where?


...On Funimation.com of course.
 
Apr 22, 2010 1:57 PM
SHSL Sugar Daddy

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1745
DrakeWants2Speak said:
rarri said:
DrakeWants2Speak said:
rarri said:
Can't wait for this being subbed!


...It's already subbed.


Cool. Where?


...On Funimation.com of course.


May I ask you how do I watch it there? I can't find it.
 
Apr 22, 2010 2:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 438
Speed-reading agh. Somehow, it didn't make my head hurt the way watching English dubs often does.

Darn cliffhanger. And now I wish the ED was up on youtube or somewhere so I could watch just that without going back to the ad-riffic Funi stream.
 
Apr 22, 2010 2:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1772
rarri said:
DrakeWants2Speak said:
rarri said:
DrakeWants2Speak said:
rarri said:
Can't wait for this being subbed!


...It's already subbed.


Cool. Where?


...On Funimation.com of course.


May I ask you how do I watch it there? I can't find it.


Just go to funimation.com then click watch videos on the side menu it should be there or click on the ad of the show on the right side of the website
 
Apr 22, 2010 2:39 PM
SHSL Sugar Daddy

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1745
sia79 said:
rarri said:
DrakeWants2Speak said:
rarri said:
DrakeWants2Speak said:
rarri said:
Can't wait for this being subbed!


...It's already subbed.


Cool. Where?


...On Funimation.com of course.


May I ask you how do I watch it there? I can't find it.


Just go to funimation.com then click watch videos on the side menu it should be there or click on the ad of the show on the right side of the website


I still don't seem to find it. Can someone be kind enough to screenshot? If it's not too much trouble.
 
Apr 22, 2010 2:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 159
Gah, the talking was waaay to fast. I had to pause every time the text changed -____-''

and @ Rarri, http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=4990
Idk if it streams out of the States though. I'm not 100% sure, I heard some people not in the US were having trouble viewing streamed videos on Funi.

Edit:
Wow, this series surely didn't disappoint. I kinda got used to the fast reading half way through but damn, It wastes no time with it's story telling and jut drops you right in the center of it all. I'm looking forward to more. Too bad there are only 11 episodes D:
Modified by bendomolena, Apr 22, 2010 6:06 PM
 
Apr 22, 2010 3:04 PM
SHSL Sugar Daddy

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1745
bendomolena said:
Gah, the talking was waaay to fast. I had to pause every time the text changed -____-''

and @ Rarri, http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=4990
Idk if it streams out of the States though. I'm not 100% sure, I heard some people not in the US were having trouble viewing streamed videos on Funi.


It's brings me to the same page as before.

I think you can't watch it if you don't live in the States.

Oh well, waiting for other subs then.
 
Apr 22, 2010 3:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 14
rarri said:
sia79 said:
rarri said:
DrakeWants2Speak said:
rarri said:
DrakeWants2Speak said:
rarri said:
Can't wait for this being subbed!


...It's already subbed.


Cool. Where?


...On Funimation.com of course.


May I ask you how do I watch it there? I can't find it.


Just go to funimation.com then click watch videos on the side menu it should be there or click on the ad of the show on the right side of the website


I still don't seem to find it. Can someone be kind enough to screenshot? If it's not too much trouble.

Yeesh. Here:
http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=4990
 
Apr 22, 2010 3:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 14
rarri said:
bendomolena said:
Gah, the talking was waaay to fast. I had to pause every time the text changed -____-''

and @ Rarri, http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=4990
Idk if it streams out of the States though. I'm not 100% sure, I heard some people not in the US were having trouble viewing streamed videos on Funi.


It's brings me to the same page as before.

I think you can't watch it if you don't live in the States.

Oh well, waiting for other subs then.

Oh wow. I forgot about that. Yeah you can't watch it if you aren't in the US...:/ now that blows!
 
Apr 22, 2010 3:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 267
For those who can't stream it, lrn2proxy.
 
Apr 22, 2010 4:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 506
I live in the States and I could be watching this via Funi's streaming, but I'd rather wait for a nice HD rip.

Hopefully one will be popping up soon...
 
Apr 22, 2010 4:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2093
Wow, this has the opposite problem of House of Five Leaves in which their scenario is very slow, this one is like Speed Racer talking with animation on the highest level of crack ever. Not like that's a problem for me as I have always been a fast reader but for those who aren't particularly keen on fast talking, I bet they can't wait for this to be dubbed.

As for the episode itself, I really liked it. But then again, with all the positive aspects and well-known people behind this, it was almost a guarantee that I would like it (Director of Kaiba=Instant win). I admit that I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on though. I mean, this is beyond Angel Beats' first episode. This is like dropping you in the middle but like, not even the middle. It's "here's the premise. Deal with it. We're gonna talk fast."

I honestly like all four of the main characters introduced so far, but Ozu and Akashi-san are my favorites. Ozu because he's so very a clearly evil little bastard and Akashi because she seems cool and can shoot lasers out of her eyes.

Normally, I don't do this but I'm already giving this a 9/10 because everything worked for me. (Fireworks scene was hilarious. "That river is damn shallow!")

I love Spring 2010 season!

EDIT: AKFG doing OP is epic hell yes, win. It's a catchy beat too.
ED is trippy and also has a catchy beat.

EDIT2: Damn this is only 11 episodes!??
Modified by garfield15, Apr 22, 2010 4:27 PM
 
Apr 22, 2010 4:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1345
And here I was thinking SHAFT had odd animation...
 
Apr 22, 2010 4:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 506
ReaperEXE said:
And here I was thinking SHAFT had odd animation...

SHAFT is rather bland compared to stuff directed by Yuasa, Madhouse's best, Studio 4°C, Gainax, etc.
 
Apr 22, 2010 5:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1129
Holy fuck, just watching 5 seconds of this makes me want to crack open a PBR and put on my thick rimmed glasses.

So pretentious I nearly died.
Ok™
 
Apr 22, 2010 5:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 457
HELL YES YOU'RE THE BEST ANIME SEASON EVER


13 seconds and I was already shitting bricks.

Looking at the highly expressive visuals, the lack of background music and the fast-paced narrative style, I think this is somewhat similar to other Yuasa works regarding style and context only. Still, it's awesome, it's not like I'm complaining.

Content-wise I'm pleasantly surprised. While in Kaiba the characters lost their shine on the second half (imo), I have the feeling that the characters on Yojouhan will be a strong point. Found myself smiling many times during the episode, the first time when we get to know that "Watashi" was a professional cockblocker, lol. And then at Ozu's antics, Akashi's "cold" attitude, etc...

Anyway, the episode was very funny and thoughtful at the same time. Especially if you too, pursued that "rose-colored campus life" during your freshman days.

I, for one, love this show.
Modified by Canopus, Apr 23, 2010 7:07 AM
 
Apr 22, 2010 5:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 27677
Yes, this anime is definitely fast, but to my surprise, I can catch up with what they are saying (maybe because I've been doing JLPT Lv.1 listening?).
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
 
Apr 22, 2010 9:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 506
Alright, couldn't wait. Watched it on Funi. Yep... Best anime of the year so far, easily.
 
Apr 22, 2010 9:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 924
Perfect outro!

Definitely not my sort of series, but good episode/directing nonetheless. Yuasa Masaaki bringing the originality yet again.
.
Modified by Dunky, Apr 22, 2010 9:10 PM
 
Apr 22, 2010 10:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1443
I actually only watched the first couple minutes, just to see.

And I live in Canada and Funi's streams worked so, idk. I also saw no ads in that 5 min (I have ABP idk).
So I went back to see if funi still let me watch it, and now they don't. Was it just a fuck up that I was able to watch the stream?


But yea, I am waiting to watch it HD before I actually watch it all. I just wanted to be a dick and start the topic because funny to me.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
 
Apr 22, 2010 10:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 338
That was unsurprisingly hard to keep up with, strange as hell and.....surprisingly super entertaining. I hope a fansub group does this though. Hated watching this on Funi.

Oh, and AKFG. :)
 
Apr 22, 2010 10:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 1479
Nice. New Ajikan song :D
 
Apr 22, 2010 11:04 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 69
I liked the trip hop ending song far more than AKFG one.
Anyway, it was pretty mind-gamish.
 
Apr 22, 2010 11:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 669
Oh gawd.. Funimation only works for Americans...

Guess I'll have to download.

Edit:
Okay, that was just too fast. Are they trying to squeeze in all the dialogues from the novel?

The animation and the background was stunning--- kind of reminded me of Shaft, but they better cut it out with the cardboard cut-out characters. It's Nakamura's character designs that are saving them at the moment. A more fluent character animation is much needed.

The story and the characters are what's making me love this. That Ozu guy has such a unique and fun personality (can't complement on his face though haha).

The op and ed were both excellent songs. Looking forward to ep 2.
Modified by teanut, Apr 23, 2010 3:12 AM
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
 
Apr 22, 2010 11:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 506
teanut said:
Oh gawd.. Funimation only works for Americans...

Guess I'll have to download.

I've never had to figure out this proxy business 'cause it's never been a problem for me, but you may want to look into it. If not, well, we'll hopefully have a nice HD mkv to download by tomorrow or so...
 
Apr 22, 2010 11:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 338
antitype said:
teanut said:
Oh gawd.. Funimation only works for Americans...

Guess I'll have to download.

I've never had to figure out this proxy business 'cause it's never been a problem for me, but you may want to look into it. If not, well, we'll hopefully have a nice HD mkv to download by tomorrow or so...


There are a few already on TokyoTosho, but I've never heard of them before so...
 
Apr 22, 2010 11:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 228
Why don't some of you just view it on anime streaming sites? I don't know if I can post the URL here, but you should be able to find them easily on google. BTW those sites are streaming the Funi version of course.
 
Apr 23, 2010 12:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1345
ESSWHY said:
I actually only watched the first couple minutes, just to see.

And I live in Canada and Funi's streams worked so, idk. I also saw no ads in that 5 min (I have ABP idk).
So I went back to see if funi still let me watch it, and now they don't. Was it just a fuck up that I was able to watch the stream?


But yea, I am waiting to watch it HD before I actually watch it all. I just wanted to be a dick and start the topic because funny to me.

If you're Canadian, you can just watch it in 480p on YouTube (Funi channel). For whatever reason, Funi decided to use Hulu for this particular show on their own site...

antitype said:
ReaperEXE said:
And here I was thinking SHAFT had odd animation...

SHAFT is rather bland compared to stuff directed by Yuasa, Madhouse's best, Studio 4°C, Gainax, etc.

I didn't imply that SHAFT animation was good, it's not. Just odd. I just find this particular Madhouse work to have obscure animation style, at least more so than most of the anime I've seen.
Modified by ReaperEXE, Apr 23, 2010 12:43 AM
 
Apr 23, 2010 12:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 207
Shows like this is the reason why I still watch anime. In a sea of complete utter crap, one gem like this show is enough to make me invest my time in this hobby.
 
Apr 23, 2010 12:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 99
My eyes hurt, but the characters are done well, so I must watch more!

Still, my eyes. Ow.
 
Apr 23, 2010 3:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 327
tsubasalover said:
Yes, this anime is definitely fast, but to my surprise, I can catch up with what they are saying (maybe because I've been doing JLPT Lv.1 listening?).

oh, lucky you. I've tried only lv.2 (or how do they call it with this new system). I could catch up with like 70% of what did he talk about.
nevertheless, it was bloody awesome. I mean shaft may bustle around all year long riding Shinbo to death, but then comes Massaki and shows them how things ought to be done. amazing visuals, great characters and nice comedy. I burst to laugh few times.
the scene with clubs presentations was especially well-done.
 
Apr 23, 2010 4:52 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 68
Axilla said:
ESSWHY said:
They talk fast.

This. Kamotaketsunuminokami is his name...pick easier names pls.

Actually his name is "Higuchi".
 
Apr 23, 2010 5:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 243
Quarkboy said:
Axilla said:
This. Kamotaketsunuminokami is his name...pick easier names pls.

Actually his name is "Higuchi".

And Kamotaketsunumi no Kami is supposed to be tough to spell even for Japanese people, that's the joke.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
 
Apr 23, 2010 6:27 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 262
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't watch it on hulu or funimation!!! It says "can't display in your region". I was so looking forward to this. Wow.
 
Apr 23, 2010 8:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1443
animechap said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't watch it on hulu or funimation!!! It says "can't display in your region". I was so looking forward to this. Wow.

Commie used funi's subs [so luckily they had no hand in translating] and probably did a shitty job type setting but oh well probably the best you'll get.

I'm going to try it out soon.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
 
Apr 23, 2010 8:32 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 262
ESSWHY said:
animechap said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't watch it on hulu or funimation!!! It says "can't display in your region". I was so looking forward to this. Wow.

Commie used funi's subs [so luckily they had no hand in translating] and probably did a shitty job type setting but oh well probably the best you'll get.

I'm going to try it out soon.

Ah thanks I'll try this.
 
Apr 23, 2010 8:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 4574
I guess everyone will hate me now because I seem to be the only one who wasn't keen on this. :P

I'm not saying it's bad but it just seems all crushed together and the subs are too fast, my head and eyes are killing. D: But I like Ozu, the OP/ED and the last few minutes got quite interesting so I'll still give this anime a chance. :)

{{ TCO }} {{ ACP }} {{ TSC }} {{ LAC }}
 
Apr 23, 2010 8:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 506
YamiValentine said:
I guess everyone will hate me now because I seem to be the only one who wasn't keen on this. :P

Just the only one in this thread so far. This isn't the type of show every anime fan is going to like.

ReaperEXE said:
I didn't imply that SHAFT animation was good, it's not. Just odd. I just find this particular Madhouse work to have obscure animation style, at least more so than most of the anime I've seen.

I understood what you meant, and I was saying I don't think SHAFT's animation is all that "odd." It kind of tries to be, but it looks too glossy-clean anime compared to this, and things like Mind Game, Kemonozume, etc.
 
Apr 23, 2010 8:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 4574
antitype said:
YamiValentine said:
I guess everyone will hate me now because I seem to be the only one who wasn't keen on this. :P

Just the only one in this thread so far. This isn't the type of show every anime fan is going to like.

Yeh that's true and you never know, I might love it once it gets further in. XD

{{ TCO }} {{ ACP }} {{ TSC }} {{ LAC }}
 
Apr 23, 2010 9:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2093
YamiValentine said:

I'm not saying it's bad but it just seems all crushed together and the subs are too fast, my head and eyes are killing. D:

Well it's not the subs that are too fast *rolls eyes* :P
 
Apr 23, 2010 9:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1810
this was great.

i only planned to check out one spring series and i was planning for this, and it did not disappoint.

firework scene was the best, both with the art, and the music.
 
Apr 23, 2010 10:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 214
WTF!?

What is this? I dont even..!
Holy God in heaven... XD
 
Top
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »