Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 9 Discussion


#1
Jun 17, 2010 2:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 27698
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Modified by tsubasalover, Jun 17, 2010 3:28 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
 
#2
Jun 17, 2010 3:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 240
Interesting revelations about Ozu this episode... And we don't get a obvious time reset at the end of this episode, just the walls of the room closing in around Watashi. Also, the Master made some good points about how Watashi never seems to be happy with who he is, now matter how good or bad his life is going. Still the best show of the season, in my book.
 
#3
Jun 17, 2010 5:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2093
^^Agreed. Best show. So underrated.

-OZU HAD A GIRLFRIEND! MY GOD! (that must be where he based the letters from with Keiko)

-This episode seemed to have a bit of everything from all previous eight episodes (except Johnny which made me sad). The Cycling club, Hanuki, the fireworks again (though this time, it was really funny when he screwed over Watashi), the blimp from the cult, and the fortune teller who's prices are at like the level of a used GameCube. Definitely one of those episodes rewarding the fans who saw all the previous episodes.

-Unfortunately, Watashi drove himself into a corner with Akashi-san. Funny how even fate wants him to get with her (Mochigumman following hime everywhere). That and Higuchi's speech to Watashi serve as an interesting commentary at how people get what they want and not what they want you know? Especially liked that part at how "rose-colored campus lives don't exist."

-No rewind this time. Interesting.
 
#4
Jun 17, 2010 9:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 80
A little confusing as it had a little of everything from the last eight episodes. Basically summarizes how Watashi is never satisfied with life. Last 2 episodes should leave us with a more solid understanding of the story.
 
#5
Jun 17, 2010 11:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 510
Confusing episode.

Also, no rewind at the end this time.
 
#6
Jun 18, 2010 12:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 7
I really liked this episode! It explained a lot about the main plot. The major themes were revealed through the Master's speech, and the story is making a lot more sense and become a real story instead of an episode by episode thing.
 
#7
Jun 18, 2010 1:49 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 68
In my interpretation: Everything that happens always happens in each timeline.

The only difference is the role of Watashi in the events (and sometimes the roles of the other people filling in for him).

Akashi is always in the cycling club and movie club, then changes to birdman and disciple in her second year.
Ozu always meets Kohinata-san in his first year in the tennis club and then joins the secret society to get close to her (as Honwaka is one of their branches). He also always does the fireworks to get revenge on the tennis club (or perhaps as part of a plot for the secret society). Ozu's greatest loyalty always seems to be with the Master, however.
Higuchi always reads 20,000 leagues way past its due date and then decides to go on a journey after his generation of the proxy proxy war is finished.
Ozu and Higuchi always create the film on Jougasaki's private life using the hidden camera footage captured by Aijima which was made in order to discredit Jougasaki so Aijima could impress Akashi, but ends up being used by Ozu as an attack of the proxy proxy war.
Hanuki always goes out drinking with Jougasaki after hearing that her boyfriend, Higuchi, has decided to go on a journey after the proxy proxy war is over, attempting to drown her sorrows, and is helped home by Ozu.
Ozu always infiltrates Honwaka the night of Gozan, steals the blimp intending to take away Kohinata to fly over the mountains and see all 5 giant pictures/letters at once, is always brought down by Aijima, then chased all the way to the bridge in the first episode, where a furious Aijima and Jougasaki (who thinks it was Ozu that stole Kaori, I think) are trying to get him.

Each of these parts of the story (and probably many others I'm forgetting) are basically constant... Although sometimes Watashi would be involved or replace one of the character's roles (like being Higuchi's successor instead of Akashi, or being the CCCC's leader instead of Ozu, etc...)
 
#8
Jun 18, 2010 4:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 220
Yet another excellent episode from this series. Tatami Galaxy is just fantastic, no way around the fact.

So, it looks like the rewinding stuff has finally ended. I wonder how Watashi'll turn out as hikikomori :D
 
#9
Jun 18, 2010 6:42 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 104
This episode made my day. That's a tough thing to do, since my day was practically (and I won't mince words) shit. The philosophy, the pathos, the tragedy, the autism of Watashi, everything contributed into the creation of a masterful, masterful episode.

My weekly post on the episode could be found here. I hope you could read and comment there!

(It's a pretty long entry, but I hope you guys enjoy it.)

Quarkboy said:
In my interpretation: Everything that happens always happens in each timeline.

The only difference is the role of Watashi in the events (and sometimes the roles of the other people filling in for him).

Akashi is always in the cycling club and movie club, then changes to birdman and disciple in her second year.
Ozu always meets Kohinata-san in his first year in the tennis club and then joins the secret society to get close to her (as Honwaka is one of their branches). He also always does the fireworks to get revenge on the tennis club (or perhaps as part of a plot for the secret society). Ozu's greatest loyalty always seems to be with the Master, however.
Higuchi always reads 20,000 leagues way past its due date and then decides to go on a journey after his generation of the proxy proxy war is finished.
Ozu and Higuchi always create the film on Jougasaki's private life using the hidden camera footage captured by Aijima which was made in order to discredit Jougasaki so Aijima could impress Akashi, but ends up being used by Ozu as an attack of the proxy proxy war.
Hanuki always goes out drinking with Jougasaki after hearing that her boyfriend, Higuchi, has decided to go on a journey after the proxy proxy war is over, attempting to drown her sorrows, and is helped home by Ozu.
Ozu always infiltrates Honwaka the night of Gozan, steals the blimp intending to take away Kohinata to fly over the mountains and see all 5 giant pictures/letters at once, is always brought down by Aijima, then chased all the way to the bridge in the first episode, where a furious Aijima and Jougasaki (who thinks it was Ozu that stole Kaori, I think) are trying to get him.

Each of these parts of the story (and probably many others I'm forgetting) are basically constant... Although sometimes Watashi would be involved or replace one of the character's roles (like being Higuchi's successor instead of Akashi, or being the CCCC's leader instead of Ozu, etc...)


Everything happens in a single timeline only that Watashi's role and the others' change too! That's great. I was wondering how episode nine seemed to summarize everything but were as if episode six to eight diverted - most of the episode seemed to focus onto the first five episodes.
Modified by physics223, Jun 18, 2010 6:50 AM
 
Jun 18, 2010 7:23 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
It's epic.
 
Jun 18, 2010 7:39 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 68
physics223 said:

Everything happens in a single timeline only that Watashi's role and the others' change too! That's great. I was wondering how episode nine seemed to summarize everything but were as if episode six to eight diverted - most of the episode seemed to focus onto the first five episodes.

Episodes 6-8 (let's call it the "Lear Arc", shall we?) did take place in all the other timelines, it's just that we hadn't seen most of the events before, I think.

Without Watashi there, for example, there would be no pen-pal Keiko to begin with, nor would Akashi get saved by a mochiguman at a show in high school.
Hanuki would be in the english conversation circle (we know she is because in episode 5 (proxy-proxy) Higuchi says that she speaks english well), and still be hounded by her dentist and be upset about Higuchi not paying attention to her.

The day of the Proxy-proxy war finale happens, Higuchi tells Hanuki he's going to leave and she then walks off the bridge with Jougasaki asking to go out for drinks. Remember, without Watashi's existence she would have asked Jougasaki out first because she had no other friend... It's only in the Lear arc that Watashi gets asked first (and turns her down).
I suspect that it's in fact Ozu who is employed as Jougasaki's bodyguard for Kaori in the main trunk timeline, which would explain how easily Jougasaki trusted him and also why Jougasaki feels so betrayed at the end.
It was probably also Ozu who ends up taking Hanuki home after going out drinking with Jougasaki and gets attacked by her.
This was shown back in episode 1, if you recall. I'm not exactly sure the timeline works out perfectly... It could be some other time that Hanuki got smashed and Ozu had to help her home.

P.S. Any other significance you can think of why Ozu doesn't drink alcohol? It's been mentioned a number of times that Ozu never drinks.
 
Jun 18, 2010 7:44 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3861
Another fabulous episode, I loved how things started to come along and the real story is progressing well. I can't wait for the next~~
 
Jun 18, 2010 7:53 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 104
Quarkboy said:
physics223 said:

Everything happens in a single timeline only that Watashi's role and the others' change too! That's great. I was wondering how episode nine seemed to summarize everything but were as if episode six to eight diverted - most of the episode seemed to focus onto the first five episodes.

Episodes 6-8 (let's call it the "Lear Arc", shall we?) did take place in all the other timelines, it's just that we hadn't seen most of the events before, I think.

Without Watashi there, for example, there would be no pen-pal Keiko to begin with, nor would Akashi get saved by a mochiguman at a show in high school.
Hanuki would be in the english conversation circle (we know she is because in episode 5 (proxy-proxy) Higuchi says that she speaks english well), and still be hounded by her dentist and be upset about Higuchi not paying attention to her.

The day of the Proxy-proxy war finale happens, Higuchi tells Hanuki he's going to leave and she then walks off the bridge with Jougasaki asking to go out for drinks. Remember, without Watashi's existence she would have asked Jougasaki out first because she had no other friend... It's only in the Lear arc that Watashi gets asked first (and turns her down).
I suspect that it's in fact Ozu who is employed as Jougasaki's bodyguard for Kaori in the main trunk timeline, which would explain how easily Jougasaki trusted him and also why Jougasaki feels so betrayed at the end.
It was probably also Ozu who ends up taking Hanuki home after going out drinking with Jougasaki and gets attacked by her.
This was shown back in episode 1, if you recall. I'm not exactly sure the timeline works out perfectly... It could be some other time that Hanuki got smashed and Ozu had to help her home.

P.S. Any other significance you can think of why Ozu doesn't drink alcohol? It's been mentioned a number of times that Ozu never drinks.


I'm convinced. I hope you don't take offense if I use your hypothesis and try to defend it.

There's also the significance of your use of Lear because his second movie was about a man having problems with three women. Foreshadowing?

And his first was a battle of wills between two men, and these two were Watashi and ...

oh my god, I have to write on this tomorrow.
 
Jun 18, 2010 7:56 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 68
physics223 said:

I'm convinced. I hope you don't take offense if I use your hypothesis and try to defend it.

There's also the significance of your use of Lear because his second movie was about a man having problems with three women. Foreshadowing?

And his first was a battle of wills between two men, and these two were Watashi and ...

oh my god, I have to write on this tomorrow.

You didn't notice that his indie films were all foreshadowing? Tsk Tsk. Would should be getting to the final one next episode.
 
Jun 18, 2010 8:02 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 104
I noticed that the third was foreshadowing because of episode five, but I just realized that the second one was, too, especially after the three episode arc. I also thought about one path, just that I couldn't really place the sixth to eighth episodes until you've made things clearer. So thanks for that. That was actually what I said in the bottom of the post - the initial hypothesis doesn't seem to hold since the sixth to eighth episode didn't really allude much to the previous episodes, so I was thinking that one to five was the true path and six to eight were just deviations.

Yours is much clearer, however. I'll try to build that up tomorrow. Thank you.
 
Jun 18, 2010 8:38 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 4443
I have a feeling that Ozu is Watashi's target of "Rosy life" and also part of Watashi's conscious .I don't think Ozu the name itself even exist in reality.Well people who is lonely like Watashi will .........mayb not ^^
Well anyway,
Feel as if this episode is like a flashback of all the episode I have seen.Very nice ^^
It seem Watashi has a past memory in all the circle.Well ,every new episode is a new life,kinda envy Watashi .
Watashi is asking for too much for his life >.<
There is no rewind.....does that means the story start now?Damn sad ,Watashi has given up!!!!
 
Jun 18, 2010 10:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 240
MorningGlory said:
I have a feeling that Ozu is Watashi's target of "Rosy life" and also part of Watashi's conscious .I don't think Ozu the name itself even exist in reality.Well people who is lonely like Watashi will .........mayb not ^^


In episode seven, we see Ozu's human face in a scene that Watashi isn't involved in, so no, Ozu is human and he exists outside of Watashi's subconscious.

This episode seems to make the argument that the "rosy life" is different for different people depending on what you do with your situation--throughout the entire series, Watashi blames other people, circumstances, etc., for not being able to achieve his "rosy life" and doesn't realize that his attitude is the problem. Meanwhile, Ozu has gained everything that Watashi wants by enjoying what life has given him.
 
Jun 18, 2010 12:13 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 26
That was incredible.
I think I'm going to have to watch it again before I can sort out all my thoughts on it, haha.

On a basic level, though, I was really pleased with the character development in this one- Aijima /intentionally/ playing the idiot for Jougasaki, Ozu being a lovesick fool at heart, and the master being given a more serious treatment.



 
Jun 18, 2010 1:16 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 37
No rewind -- and I dont think we're getting any more. With two episodes left, I think this is the first episode of the last arc. He'll fix things up in the next two episodes.
 
Jun 18, 2010 3:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2021
What would fixing things exactly be though? Does that signify that he will obtain a rose-colored campus life? However that would contradict with the line of events, unless he takes the place of someone like Ozu? I think the only thing he can fix is giving the mugimachi(horrible spelling i am aware ^.^) doll back for once.

The shows i love intertwine the stories craftily like this. They are not just complete flashbacks. While it is confusing it makes it so much more interesting to watch.
 
Jun 18, 2010 3:31 PM
SHSL Sugar Daddy

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1745
This episode seemed to be speed out fast for me. It didn't feel like 20 minutes have passed.

I'm really liking this show, even though it's confusing, but a fun watch.
 
Jun 18, 2010 4:45 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 68
I think there will be one more rewind before the end, though perhaps not the same way.

Here's a prediction for episode 10 (note, I have not seen or read the script yet for it):

The only way to escape the maze of tatami rooms will be for him to turn out the light. Which will, of course, require "grabbing the opportunity dangling in front of him"
 
Jun 18, 2010 4:50 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5172
"Of course I did not say that. I instead chose a strategic withdrawal."

Made me burst out laughing.

Coming back to the subject, this episode had som many interesting developments and was so fantastic from an artistic point of view that it was close to pure genius. In fact, the whole second part of the episode where the narrator's pondering his existence and the sense of his campus life after his last meeting with Higushi was simply breathtaking in terms of writing and direction.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
 
Jun 18, 2010 8:12 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 104
Hello, guys! I attempted to illustrate Quarkboy's wonderful interpretation into the timeline of the episodes and compared as well as contrasted it to my own (arrived at in the previous episode). Please read my comparative and comprehensive (his) interpretations of The Tatami Galaxy's timeline!
 
Jun 18, 2010 9:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 185
My goodness. This show is intelligent, breath-taking, and something I'm going to have to watch at least three times to really get.

Most of the main developments in this episode have already been pointed out and analyzed (over-analyzed, sweet Jesus, the precision!), but the thing that stuck out to me was the development between Akashi and Watashi. It's been (oh, so heavily) hinted that they need to get together in some way in every episode, but we've never gotten a clear confirmation of Watashi's feelings for Akashi before. They've always been a few points up from indifference.

Watashi has also never been so clearly rejected/reprimanded/disapproved of/BITCH SLAPPED by Akashi before either.

After, when he said, "But why does my heart ache?" (not verbatim, it's not like I took notes), I thought, "Ah, the cat's outta the bag. Hot damn." That was where I wanted the development, and that was where I got it. This was a great episode.
 
Jun 18, 2010 10:42 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 104
DrRoboto said:
My goodness. This show is intelligent, breath-taking, and something I'm going to have to watch at least three times to really get.

Most of the main developments in this episode have already been pointed out and analyzed (over-analyzed, sweet Jesus, the precision!), but the thing that stuck out to me was the development between Akashi and Watashi. It's been (oh, so heavily) hinted that they need to get together in some way in every episode, but we've never gotten a clear confirmation of Watashi's feelings for Akashi before. They've always been a few points up from indifference.

Watashi has also never been so clearly rejected/reprimanded/disapproved of/BITCH SLAPPED by Akashi before either.

After, when he said, "But why does my heart ache?" (not verbatim, it's not like I took notes), I thought, "Ah, the cat's outta the bag. Hot damn." That was where I wanted the development, and that was where I got it. This was a great episode.


Do you remember what Watashi asked of Ozu in his incomplete, final film in the second episode?

He asks him (her): 'Omae wa itsumo watashi ni tsukimatotte kureru ne [said in such a somber and serious tone] (Why do you always haunt me so?)'

Ozu (the girl) replies: 'It's how I show my love.'

I think it applies all too well with Akashi and Watashi. Akashi's slap haunts him despite his wealth and 'popularity.'
 
Jun 19, 2010 12:24 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 4443
lostinabook said:

In episode seven, we see Ozu's human face in a scene that Watashi isn't involved in, so no, Ozu is human and he exists outside of Watashi's subconscious.

Ya that is what i think also,that is why i am a bit hesitate to say such.During episode 7,Watashi has made decision to love and his mind must has been disrupted .
But i always has the question in my mind " Who is Ozu,?? "If he exist in reality ,why he always appear near Watashi every episode? ...maybe its just pure coincidence....won't hurt if I take a guess LOL
 
Jun 19, 2010 6:28 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 104
Ozu and Watashi are tied by the black string of fate. It was just cut by Ozu this episode, freeing himself and Watashi from mutual destruction. Now Watashi has to work for his love, and he has to realize that life is what one makes it.
 
Jun 19, 2010 10:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 185
physics223 said:
DrRoboto said:
My goodness. This show is intelligent, breath-taking, and something I'm going to have to watch at least three times to really get.

Most of the main developments in this episode have already been pointed out and analyzed (over-analyzed, sweet Jesus, the precision!), but the thing that stuck out to me was the development between Akashi and Watashi. It's been (oh, so heavily) hinted that they need to get together in some way in every episode, but we've never gotten a clear confirmation of Watashi's feelings for Akashi before. They've always been a few points up from indifference.

Watashi has also never been so clearly rejected/reprimanded/disapproved of/BITCH SLAPPED by Akashi before either.

After, when he said, "But why does my heart ache?" (not verbatim, it's not like I took notes), I thought, "Ah, the cat's outta the bag. Hot damn." That was where I wanted the development, and that was where I got it. This was a great episode.


Do you remember what Watashi asked of Ozu in his incomplete, final film in the second episode?

He asks him (her): 'Omae wa itsumo watashi ni tsukimatotte kureru ne [said in such a somber and serious tone] (Why do you always haunt me so?)'

Ozu (the girl) replies: 'It's how I show my love.'

I think it applies all too well with Akashi and Watashi. Akashi's slap haunts him despite his wealth and 'popularity.'


Didn't he say that in the end of the first episode also, right before he was shoved into the river? I seem to remember something along those lines.

It's so true with Akashi and Watashi, though. I can't wait to see it when he finally gets slapped in the face with the truth (he already was a little bit though, I suppose).
 
Jun 19, 2010 11:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 50529
Tatami galaxy is a very unique to my taste of anime, but it does offer a different experience-cant wait to see what happens

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
 
Jun 19, 2010 11:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2093
Waaaah, it's ending in two episodes!

Though the way it's been planned out, I think we'll be in for a satisfying conclusion.
 
Jun 19, 2010 4:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1443
This episode was great. I can't wait to see the rest, though I would rather it not end.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
 
Jun 19, 2010 8:19 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 104
So what did you guys think about our interpretations? I've been looking for critiques or commentary, but there has been only Quarkboy himself.
 
Jun 19, 2010 10:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 37
helur said:
What would fixing things exactly be though? Does that signify that he will obtain a rose-colored campus life? However that would contradict with the line of events, unless he takes the place of someone like Ozu? I think the only thing he can fix is giving the mugimachi(horrible spelling i am aware ^.^) doll back for once.

The shows i love intertwine the stories craftily like this. They are not just complete flashbacks. While it is confusing it makes it so much more interesting to watch.


I mean, the whole point of the episode is that his "rose colored life" was an unattainable ideal, but that doesn't mean happiness is unattainable. He is clearly not really happy at the end of any of these episodes so far. But even if you're not satisfied right now, it doesn't mean you'll never be in the future, and you don't need to be able to rewind time and redo life in order to find happiness (which is sort of what's been going on). That's what I mean by fixing things. Instead of starting over, he can just start from where he is now, no matter what situation that is.
 
Jun 19, 2010 11:07 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 4443
DrIdiot said:
I mean, the whole point of the episode is that his "rose colored life" was an unattainable ideal, but that doesn't mean happiness is unattainable.
After I finish this episode,I felt like that he just doesn't have a good start of "rose colored life"."life is bitter sweet"....he only starting to taste the bitter and he give up immediately and start doing with a completely different path.....( I am also the same =P )
maybe this is the moral of the story.
 
Jun 19, 2010 11:31 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 37
MorningGlory said:
After I finish this episode,I felt like that he just doesn't have a good start of "rose colored life"."life is bitter sweet"....he only starting to taste the bitter and he give up immediately and start doing with a completely different path.....( I am also the same =P )
maybe this is the moral of the story.


I'm watching the episode again (the first time I watched I was seriously sleep deprived), and I think I'm right even more now (maybe not about my prediction of the next two episodes, but regarding what the whole episode is about).

First, the Master clearly says that there is no such thing as a rose colored life, because life has many colors. He says that the protagonist is screwing himself over by setting an unattainable goal (not quite a direct quote, but in essence what he says).

He also says that the protagonist relies too much on his other possibilities to get his wish (that's pretty much a direct quote). The other possibilities being what the show has been doing this whole time; rewinding and showing an alternate possibility (an alternate choice of club as a first-year). His point is that it's not the arbitrary choice he made on his first day of college that is causing his unhappiness. We've seen this; each episode he makes a different choice but ends up equally unhappy. This is why I think it won't rewind; because the choice he made in the beginning really doesn't matter that much.
Modified by DrIdiot, Jun 20, 2010 1:08 AM
 
Jun 20, 2010 1:17 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 4443
@DrIdiot ( doctor Idiot who cures idiot ?? LOL )
Somehow a bit similar to my comment but its more detailed 0.0 ...I am not used to writing detail stuff anyway.

"there is no such thing as a rose colored life, because life has many colors"this quote is similar to " The world is ugly that is why its beautiful" from Kino's journey
An even more shorter quote is "life is bitter sweet"
 
Jun 20, 2010 2:36 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 104
The problem with Watashi is that he's pegging himself with the choices he's made in the past. He thinks that a superior choice is all that matters on the way to the rose-colored life he's dreaming of. However, despite all the choices he's already made, none of them make his life happy: that's because he tries to aim for an ideal that's nearly impossible and highly unrealistic. Higuchi teaches him that it's not a single choice that will dictate the rest of your life, and alternate choices won't change your perception of it if you don't look towards the brighter side of things. No matter what choice he's given if he doesn't act - it will all boil down to tragedy, which is what happened in the previous nine episodes.
 
Jun 20, 2010 4:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1501
I wasn't sure how Yuasa was going get to this point, but after watching this episode 9 it has become pretty clear that everything that has happened to this point has only happened to force Watashi realize that Akashi is the key to his happiness.(We've known this from the first episode) The fortune teller continues to tell him to seize the opportunity hanging in front of him, which has always been Akashi's tamgachi on his light fixture as a representation of his realization that she is the answer, however as already mentioned his obsession with obtaining perfection or a Rose colored campus life is pointless and an actual distraction from his true path to happiness. Basically I'm in agreement with Dr.Roboto and Quarkboy, can't really add much more other than restating what's already been said.

I'm just wondering if Yuasa is going to give us an episode seeing things through Akashi's story next episode or save that for the last episode to tie everything together. It seems logical since Ozu has pretty much served his purpose in helping Watashi realize the farce of the Rose Color life and love really being the most important aspect of obtaining happiness.
 
Jun 20, 2010 5:58 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 4443
@physics223
isn't it the same thing ...
It seem that when I try to summaries the Master quote,you 2 try to clarified it.Well at least the forum is moving.
Here my turn to clarified one last point,
Since our live can't be rewind just like in Anime,I think the director trying to show us that even rewinding our live, it won't do any changes.I think Watashi's past memory doesn't really help Watashi at all in obtaining his ideal rose-colored life....dot dot dot my opinion ^^
Well, Thank you DrIdiot and physics223 for clarifying it.but actually its DrIdiot who first mention it and I am just trying to link it with other famous quote.
Modified by MorningGlory, Jun 20, 2010 6:08 AM
 
Jun 20, 2010 10:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1068
Another great episode. Visually STUNNING.

I'll leave my interpretation of the story so far to myself, I hate over analysis.. But some very interesting points, I enjoy reading your ideas.

I will certainly be trying to get my hands on the original novel. It will be interesting to see how this story feels when there are words alone. But I really enjoy this interpretation, even if I haven't read the source material.

Two more to go!
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
 
Jun 20, 2010 4:17 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 104
@Pheefa

If anything's to be known Yuasa deviated much from the novel's flow. The novel is quite distant from the anime, Quarkboy told me that. He's made the series his baby.
 
Jun 20, 2010 8:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 243
physics223 said:
@Pheefa

If anything's to be known Yuasa deviated much from the novel's flow. The novel is quite distant from the anime, Quarkboy told me that. He's made the series his baby.


I wouldn't say it deviates from the novel's flow, rather it deviates from the novel's way of constructing the story. Basically the flow (different universes being played out) is the same, we just get fundamentally different stories and have a basically very different atmosphere.

While the novel has a rather ethereal, fairy tale like structure and is a bit more nostalgic and almost sad in undertone, the anime is very energetic and fast. They both have their own points...right now I would almost say that the anime is much more direct about what it wants to get across.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
 
Jun 20, 2010 8:38 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 104
seizonsha said:
physics223 said:
@Pheefa

If anything's to be known Yuasa deviated much from the novel's flow. The novel is quite distant from the anime, Quarkboy told me that. He's made the series his baby.


I wouldn't say it deviates from the novel's flow, rather it deviates from the novel's way of constructing the story. Basically the flow (different universes being played out) is the same, we just get fundamentally different stories and have a basically very different atmosphere.

While the novel has a rather ethereal, fairy tale like structure and is a bit more nostalgic and almost sad in undertone, the anime is very energetic and fast. They both have their own points...right now I would almost say that the anime is much more direct about what it wants to get across.


Noted. Thank you. :)
 
Jun 20, 2010 11:26 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 37
Yeah man. This is becoming one of my favorite series. I'm talking like top 5, none of that "I have like fifty favorite series" shit.

Is the novel being translated, does anyone know?
 
Jun 21, 2010 7:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1068
I know the novel will have a different atmosphere, which is why I want to read it. I will have to read it for myself to actually be able to get a feel for it. So thanks for your points, but I'd rather decide for myself =3
The point is that this anime is an interpretation, and I'd like to read the novel so I can try to understand where the anime came from, and if I would interpret it differently.

Personally, my favourite aspect of this anime is actually the visual aspect, rather than the flow of the story (which is still superb) And the brilliant voice acting, of course.

It would be great if the novel is translated, I doubt it will though =[ I will have to make do with the Japanese.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
 
Jun 21, 2010 8:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2093
I sure hope Yuasa comes up with something else someday......

Like a mecha anime :P (look, he's done his horror, his romance, and now his romcom/slice-of-life. I'd like to see him give it a try)
 
Jun 21, 2010 11:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 865
I'm not sure I'd call Kemonozume "horror", and I personally think it had more romance than Kaiba (which I'm assuming you're referring to as "romance").

What I love about Yuasa's shows is that there's a little bit of everything. He doesn't seem content to confine his story within one specific genre. He has a vision for the show and he makes sure it gets done. That has always impressed me.

As far as this episode, it was, of course, fantastic. Seeing Watashi react upon finding out that Ozu hadn't been simply wasting his time in college sure was interesting. Maybe it'll lead him to eventually seizing that opportunity that is hanging right in front of him...
 
Jun 22, 2010 12:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 243
Pheefa said:

It would be great if the novel is translated, I doubt it will though =[ I will have to make do with the Japanese.

Ah well...who knows.
After I found out that Kemono no Sousha, the source novels of Kûchû Buranko and the first Guin Saga novels got translated into German...and the source novel for Loups=Garous which is going to be released this year was translated to English...I'm surprised by nothing anymore.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
 
Jun 23, 2010 6:18 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 68
physics223 said:
@Pheefa

If anything's to be known Yuasa deviated much from the novel's flow. The novel is quite distant from the anime, Quarkboy told me that. He's made the series his baby.

Every show I translate is my baby.

This one just takes 48 hours of labor or so...
 
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »