Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 13, 2009 7:04 PM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

Well....it's over...

Gonzo really likes to push the happy endings I notice.

The Mi-ko/Mikuni farewell was rather touching. Nearly shed a tear there.

What am I forgetting...something...oh yeah MEGA-ULTRA ENGINE POWERED BOOMERANG!
Sep 13, 2009 7:08 PM

Mar 2008
I don't quite understand how Kuniko landed on the ground in the first minute of the show =.=
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2009 7:18 PM

Aug 2009
kaminakun said:
I don't quite understand how Kuniko landed on the ground in the first minute of the show =.=
You know, I was questioning that too but as the episode went on, I was just like "Okay screw it, she's just that awesome or something."
Sep 14, 2009 1:24 PM

Mar 2008
Yay it's finally over. XD I think the ending pulled a few cheap shots. Like Miiko's spirit suddenly appearing to protect Mikuni from bullets...and well the list could go on for all the other stuff. I didn't enjoy Shangri-La as much because I couldn't suspend my disbelief very well. =[ I'm getting too analytical of anime I'm watching these days.
Sep 15, 2009 4:46 PM

Jul 2009
That was a good series i give it a 8/10
Sep 15, 2009 5:16 PM

Mar 2009
This anime would have been more enjoyable if I had watched all the episodes at once. It was so complex and had so much going on that it was hard to follow. It was hard to remember seeing an episode once a week. Not a bad series, but not great either.
Sep 15, 2009 10:07 PM

May 2008
the series was ok..
Sep 16, 2009 7:43 AM

Sep 2008
For me this is a 10/10, I followed it from start to ending, and i really liked it, yes it has a few flaws here and there, but who cares about small mistakes. in general i just liked how it had some drama, it had some action, it had some political and environmental science (which i loved) it had a very good near future setting, it had some splendid main characters that you liked.
so yeah, in the end im giving this a 10.
Sep 16, 2009 12:26 PM

Nov 2007
The last handful of episodes were downright terrible, culminating in this disgusting mess of GONZO Finale.
Sep 16, 2009 12:38 PM

Feb 2009
I'm glad this is over. (:
Sep 16, 2009 1:44 PM

Jul 2008
hmm so it ends
not too fond of it but 6.5/10 (7/10) iono
Sep 16, 2009 2:19 PM

Jun 2009
So it's over... it was good at first but somewhere in the middle it lost its magic. Last episodes weren't so good. So-so series 6/10.
Sep 16, 2009 5:43 PM

Jul 2009
I'm kinda angry that I watched all the episodes. Had high hopes for the show but was disappointed big time.
Sep 16, 2009 5:49 PM

Nov 2007
So it's finally over.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Sep 16, 2009 6:47 PM
Feb 2009
lrv3646 said:
It was so complex and had so much going on that it was hard to follow.

That wasn't because of any complexity, but because it was so convoluted. I gave it a seven, but was seriously disappointed. The idea was great, Range Murata's good for designs, but it just got all weird once it started mixing in the post-apocalyptic sci-fi with the cheesy incoherent mysticism.
Sep 17, 2009 12:10 AM
Dec 2008
I finally man'd up and finished the series. Nothing particularly good, it was just O.K

As for the episode, the fight was decent. I expected Kusanagi to do something since he is a digma after all, but he just ended up watching... On the other hand, It was nice to see Karin without her pig tails force once, and also seeing Zhang and Klaris in person (man they're older than I expected).

Overall it was a decent ride 6/10
Sep 17, 2009 12:36 AM

Apr 2008
Finally its over xD woo ... although they could have thought of a better ending o_o

Sep 17, 2009 1:43 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Mimi_Taylor said:
Yay it's finally over. XD I think the ending pulled a few cheap shots. Like Miiko's spirit suddenly appearing to protect Mikuni from bullets...and well the list could go on for all the other stuff. I didn't enjoy Shangri-La as much because I couldn't suspend my disbelief very well. =[ I'm getting too analytical of anime I'm watching these days.
i definitely agree.
Ahohime said:
I'm glad this is over. (:
OftheFlesh said:
As for the episode, the fight was decent. I expected Kusanagi to do something since he is a digma after all, but he just ended up watching... On the other hand, It was nice to see Karin without her pig tails force once, and also seeing Zhang and Klaris in person (man they're older than I expected).
yeah I wanted Kusanagi to do something too : and I also liked seeing Karin with her hair down. Seeing Zhang and Klaris was great! I was thinking that they should adopt her :)
orangehouse said:
Finally its over xD woo ... although they could have thought of a better ending o_o
yeah though I can't think of one myself :x

6/10 for me
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 17, 2009 3:56 AM

Jul 2008
This episode just felt ... gravity-defying.
They made the impossible come true for the uber happy end and added to that even more "shocking" revelations. It seemed to me like GONZO wanted to get this over with just like I did at the end.

These last few episodes really downgraded this once wonderful show. I'm still debating with myself whether it deserves a 5 or a 6 out of 10.
Sep 17, 2009 4:58 AM

Apr 2009
its over! T_T
PM me and let's be friends.
Sep 17, 2009 7:35 AM

Dec 2008
lrv3646 said:
This anime would have been more enjoyable if I had watched all the episodes at once. It was so complex and had so much going on that it was hard to follow.

i agree with this. i was really lost many times throughout the series and i wish it could have been a clearer story line. i wasn't really a fan of the ending. mostly because it seemed kinda rushed. the big 'final boss battle' was like 2 minutes long. the best part was karin and miiko. i tended to like karin the best. overall it was decent. 9/10 maybe...

oh! and where was the kunihitoxkuniko i've been waiting for the entire series for?! maybe that will bring my rating for this show down. i had high hopes for some kind of 'not just friends' interaction from kuniko. gah! annoying.

Sep 17, 2009 10:26 AM

Nov 2007
I enjoyed all the anime of Shangri-la - the characters too especially Karin (she is very cute with her hair down *-*). Gonzo did a good job !
But, it's pity that this ending is too easy and quick... In my opinion, 26 episodes would be better than 24 episodes to have a good conclusion.

I tought i will give it 9/10, but with this ending, i prefer 8/10. It's really pity because i liked very much this show. =O

Sep 17, 2009 1:08 PM

Jul 2008
Don't know if it's only me but with Kuniko's power boost she got from taking the spear (enormous speed and raw power to swing that big thing easely) I was expecting a more epic fight against Zeus, with cannon, gun and everything but we got a cheap end for Zeus.

I really liked the anime but the end wasn't that good imo. 3/5
Sep 17, 2009 9:21 PM

Oct 2007
interesting series and concept but the ending kinda sucked.... 6/10
Sep 17, 2009 9:28 PM

Aug 2008
Sadly, this is one of the better Gonzo endings off the top of my head. That said, it is still a mind-bogglingly thoughtless and simple conclusion to a complicated story, and thus, I didn't feel a bit satisfied. Everything just felt too lame and too childish (except for maybe Mi-ko talking to Mikuni). They leave Kuniko and Kunihito totally unresolved, and kill Takehiko because he pretty much shouldn't have been in the show at all.

The show could have been a 9, but the middle was too slow and didn't go anywhere. It could have been an 8, but the end was too slow and didn't go anywhere. Basically, the show stands on a great concept, exposition, and development with Mikuni, but barely passes or fails everywhere else. I give it a 7/10.
Sep 17, 2009 10:21 PM

Jul 2008
noteDhero said:
Sadly, this is one of the better Gonzo endings off the top of my head. That said, it is still a mind-bogglingly thoughtless and simple conclusion to a complicated story, and thus, I didn't feel a bit satisfied. Everything just felt too lame and too childish (except for maybe Mi-ko talking to Mikuni). They leave Kuniko and Kunihito totally unresolved, and kill Takehiko because he pretty much shouldn't have been in the show at all.

The show could have been a 9, but the middle was too slow and didn't go anywhere. It could have been an 8, but the end was too slow and didn't go anywhere. Basically, the show stands on a great concept, exposition, and development with Mikuni, but barely passes or fails everywhere else. I give it a 7/10.

It's kinda rare I agree with you but I agree wholefully on the entire post.
Sep 18, 2009 4:08 AM

Aug 2009
noteDhero said:

Rarely, I agree with you too but that seems fair.

I definitely agree that this was one of the better GONZO endings. (But nearly anything is better than Linebarrels)
Sep 18, 2009 5:50 AM

Dec 2008
best part of the ep
XD

lrv3646 said:
This anime would have been more enjoyable if I had watched all the episodes at once.

I agree with that

I bonus point for the opening and one for Karin.
I admit some episodes, esspecially in the first half of the show, but after that the quality of the plot dropped 6/10
FabienneSep 21, 2009 1:23 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2009 8:11 AM

Jul 2009
if kuniko and kunihito had at least held hands, i would give it a 8/10 instead of a 7/10
Sep 18, 2009 9:10 AM

Aug 2008
garfield15 said:
Rarely, I agree with you too but that seems fair.

I definitely agree that this was one of the better GONZO endings. (But nearly anything is better than Linebarrels)

I think Druaga is the worst in recent memory...especially since it was a decent to good show, and just slowly depreciated every week.
Sep 18, 2009 11:29 AM

Jan 2009
It's finally over. At first, i find it hard to like this anime due to it's complexity, but after episode 12 things starded getting interesting with Karin, Kuniko, Mikuni even also with Kunihito. A great anime with a complex plot and enviromental science, politics and even economy.

What i waited the whole series is showing Zhang !! he finally shows up with Klaris, i really curious what do he looks like. Also what dissapoint me is they couldn't show Kunihito-Kuniko pairing ending which i waited since the beginning of the series. Well, a pretty much okay anime by GONZO. At least better than that crappy linebarrel lol
Sep 19, 2009 5:41 AM

Jan 2009
Woah, epic entrance is epic xD
Let's see then what this episode has in store : D
Ryoko's as despicable as always xD
Soichiro's one sly character too xD

Wieeee Medusa : 3 Although Medusa seems to.. uuh.. It's cute ^^ Naaaw Medusa drowned : (

Fick yeah, Awesome fight, although a bit short : /
Kuniko goes into hypermode xD

The return of Sayoko, the never-dying aide of Mikuni xD

Awesome! A huge boomerang, can it get more awesome! : D

Lol Soichiro was owned by Takehiko : D (or actually by those whatever-they're-called plants ^^)

Awesome fight Kuniko vs. Zeus : D

And Mikuni suddenly got normal eyes, thanks to Mi-ko's spirit, and her horrible powers were removed too.

I'm also happy for Karin, getting to meet Zhang and Klaris in person, and Medusa being reborn (yay ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶) Now they can rebuild their fortunes once again wohoo ^^

And the huge boomerang was really cool : p

I'm not sure... this ending, kinda increases the awesomeness of this series a whole lot, maybe I'll give it a 9 instead of 8/10? O.o But.. compared to other stuff I've given 9... Nah 8 is just fine, it's a really good score actually ^^

And we get the only time Ever in the series that someone actually says "Shangri-La" xD
...wait, the Doumo clocktower is still there?O.o

Edit: Oh and btw, this last episode was clearly a 5/5 : 3
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Sep 19, 2009 8:12 AM

Oct 2007
noteDhero said:
I think Druaga is the worst in recent memory...especially since it was a decent to good show, and just slowly depreciated every week.
F*ck that ending.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 19, 2009 11:01 AM

Jan 2008
9Tale said:
The last handful of episodes were downright terrible, culminating in this disgusting mess of GONZO Finale.

Absolutly. High quality animation was all this series had, and it can't make up for a mess of a story. 7 out of 10
Sep 20, 2009 10:43 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Siva said:
noteDhero said:
F*ck that ending.

Lol I don't even remember it (Tower of Druaga ending)

Other than the fact that this series is messed up with physics-defying fights and weapon use (how can Kuniko wield a boomerang that big? Himiko powers maybe?) and with convoluted mysticism as someone pointed out, the concept is original. It could have been a LOT better than this...because the script look like one written by an elementary student (very energetic, a lot of random stuffs happening, not very coherent, etc)

8/10 for now because I enjoyed some episodes. And yes the ratings have gone up and I'm more satisfied with the current ratings....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 20, 2009 11:33 AM

Oct 2007
wakka9ca said:
Lol I don't even remember it (Tower of Druaga ending)

Other than the fact that this series is messed up with physics-defying fights and weapon use (how can Kuniko wield a boomerang that big? Himiko powers maybe?) and with convoluted mysticism as someone pointed out, the concept is original. It could have been a LOT better than this...because the script look like one written by an elementary student (very energetic, a lot of random stuffs happening, not very coherent, etc)

8/10 for now because I enjoyed some episodes. And yes the ratings have gone up and I'm more satisfied with the current ratings....

Well you don't have to remember it either so that you can have some good taste of the series.

I agree with you and the others that they could have done it better with the concept they had. And yeah, I enjoyed some episodes a lot, specially the one that they get all the prison girls killed.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 21, 2009 7:43 AM

May 2007
7/10

A bit cheap in the ending there Gonzo, bringing back I think 3 characters that should have been dead.

Otherwise I liked the ending.

Why a 7, too many stupid plot twist and went too far into the happy ending(I liked the Miko bit though)
My anime list
Sep 26, 2009 5:56 AM

Jul 2008
It'd rate it 6/10
Sep 26, 2009 8:31 PM

Mar 2008
Siva said:

I agree with you and the others that they could have done it better with the concept they had. And yeah, I enjoyed some episodes a lot, specially the one that they get all the prison girls killed.

Agree that the prison episode was one of the more impactful ones. Their deaths really hit me hard, and made me hate the bitch with the painted face even more.

Pity that the later tearjerking moments didn't work for me; I was too busy trying to figure out (as someone else pointed out) the messy mystic crap.

Killing children to stabilise a building? Plastering people with used toilet paper to possess them? What?

7/10 on account of the awesome first half of the show

Sep 27, 2009 1:18 PM

Feb 2008
9Tale said:

I think tried hard with it, resulting into ending the series in a rush.
They prolly couldn't think of any other way to end the series. -shrugs-
But who knows?

It was a good start, but this ending is 'fail', for me.
I guess Gonzo can pull something better next time. I'm hoping for that. And that next time, I sure hope one episode doesn't end up congested like the last episodes of this one.
Over all, the series had good character design, good plot, good start, good music and it had potential and it especially had a lovely cast of voice-actors.
What brought it down was the failed execution and how the last few episodes ended up being stuffed with all the other unanswered info; it could've been better... oh well.

I give it an 8/10.
I would've gave it a 9, but something inside of me tells me to give it an 8 instead.
But I enjoyed the series either way.

Sep 30, 2009 1:23 AM
Mar 2009
What the F**K was that S**T?!
Long live Deus Ex Machina!
Look like producers were screw, not able to find a good way to end it, and put EVERY SINGLE S**T THEY THOUGH OFF DURING BRAINSTORMING IN ONE, ONLY ONE, POOR, LITTLE AND LONELY EPISODE!
An miserable mistake. God.

And since when did programs started breeding? Someone should had told me! i'll be running for my life!

The show overall was acceptable, the second half much more boring though... Last arc was the worst, it was rush and had so many non-sensical things...
Giving it 5.5/10 (will be rounded to 6/10... even if i feel it's to much)
Oct 4, 2009 6:17 PM

Jul 2008
so ryoko gets whats coming to her, medusa is stopped, karin gets a new family, miko uses transexual magic to cure mikuni and kuniko saves the day and plans to make shangri-la, fin
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Oct 9, 2009 12:32 AM
Dec 2007
5/10 I can't believe they took an interesting concept and drove it under piles and piles of shock "entertainment", convoluted plots and unexplainable events that challenge any kind of logic, be it real or anime.

I just can't believe how the ones who began the mess to begin with had the balls to go "oh, we will help, we created Ryoko and the whole system that sacrificed HUMAN LIVES just to keep a building flying", and then the good guys who were so taken aback by the actions of Atlas before, just let them go like that. Come on, at least yell at them, show some kind of hate. Just because they stopped that little incident doesn't means the whole world is white now. God, what a moronic happy ending.

Well, there goes another crappy show.

Oct 10, 2009 6:10 AM
May 2008
Horrible ending to an utterly mediocre series. Also, I have to completely agree with Leon-Gun, on almost all accounts.

5/10
Dead Account
Please Delete
Oct 22, 2009 10:58 AM

Jul 2008
8/10 to the whole series.

Cons:
- looking at the potential, the execution is terrible
- the last episode was a bit too cliche
- immortal Sayoko
- level of ridiculousness of some stuff in last episode was too much even from Shangri-La

Pros:
- great setting
- great ideas and original plot
- Ryuoku - a villain that really entertained me, but her end was disappointing... still, I have seen much, much worse
- Karin was an interesting and entertaining character and the plot twist concerning her parents was shocking. Also liked the fact that she met her friends in person
- the last ep had some touching scenes
- good mix of SF and fantasy
Nov 18, 2009 10:00 PM

Aug 2008
kaminakun said:

At first I thought she used her boomerang or something, but then I wasn't so sure...

Anyway, the setting and premise were epic, but the whole fantasy/supernatural cross-over felt a bit out of place. I still liked it all though, mostly.
Nov 24, 2009 6:27 PM

Nov 2007
There were so many things I didn't like about the latter part of the show. I don't like how Mi-Ko's ghost cured Digma-1 and fixed her killer eye thing too. I don't like how Sayoko was immortal no matter what happened to her she would always crawl back out of the blue. i didn't like how throughout the entire series everyone was able to magically teleport to any location on the planet they wanted. I mean really, on minute everyones on one corner of Japan doing something then the next clip they'd be in a completely differently location walking around like it was nothing at all. Take the 3 old guys for instance who were down in the shelter fighting an internet battle then magically showing up in atlas's underqround hidden vault carrying a giant boomerang.
Dec 9, 2009 6:21 AM

Jul 2008
7/10
I personally really enjoyed the show, unique concept and storyline and decent themed music. The ending was pretty much well-wrapped up, unfortunately not everything IRL has perfect endings =\
Jan 4, 2010 3:38 PM

Oct 2007
I really liked the setting. That's probably what kept me watching, apart from Nakata Jouji voicing a transsexual. And Karin. 7/10
Jan 17, 2010 12:41 AM

Dec 2009
Well this show wasn't amazing, but it had an interesting story and good music, so I still enjoyed it. Yeah, the ending was a bit too good to be believable, but it's still better than the endings of some shows I've seen. At least I can say that I've never seen an anime like this before, which is saying something. And I liked the OP song too.

8/10
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shangri-La Episode 23 Discussion

arsonal - Sep 6, 2009

30 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 29, 8:48 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Episode 22 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Aug 30, 2009

29 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 28, 10:33 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Episode 21 Discussion

arsonal - Aug 23, 2009

36 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 28, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Episode 20 Discussion

arsonal - Aug 16, 2009

40 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 28, 9:43 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Episode 19 Discussion

firekites - Aug 9, 2009

37 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 27, 7:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.