Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 21, 2007 5:10 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I love this.

It was worth waiting for this episode. Loved Miyako's calls, and seeing the episode end with Kei deleting all those messages made me want to see more. I enjoyed the first half with Renji and Chihiro as well. For a minute I thought the girl in their story was Miyako.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 21, 2007 6:54 AM

Jan 2007
omg, that was intense. I was getting chills from that. Great stuff. I want more.
Nov 21, 2007 7:09 AM

Apr 2007
Oh my God. Everything just went wrong, in a way you can totally relate to, it's nothing incredibly out of this world. The ED sequence had me holding back my tears, really.

Where do I start? I see what pains Renji. The girl in the book is her. With every word she types, she gets farther from him, somewhere he can't reach. He talks about happy endings, but she talks about breaking down. And then she blurts out that he should kiss her, "This is where you kiss me", like it was some sort of story, like it should happen just to happen. It's just wrong. And the animation showing Renji's state of mind really touched me, it was so painful to watch.

And Miyako? There was nothing psycho about her. With every new message, she just broke down more and more. I think we all had moments like this, where you don't know if the person is listening, if the person cares, if you did something wrong, and then you apologize, take the whole blame just because you don't want to lose the person. The only difference is that she voiced all of her thoughts and feelings, in a desperate way to get him back. She didn't just wait for him, she kept reaching out her hand to catch him. And then the ED, the so perfect ED sequence showed exactly how Miyako felt inside, and it was powerful.

I definitely love this. And I wish Kei will cry and cry and just be miserable because the thing she did at the end was despicable.
Nov 21, 2007 7:48 AM
Oct 2007
Wow.

What an episode...

Nov 21, 2007 8:39 AM

Oct 2007
I wonder if Chihiro will write what happened in her diary, and if so, what will happen to them? What Kei did at the end...ouch, but I think that it would be better if Hiro didn't see how desperate Miyako was.
Nov 21, 2007 8:51 AM

Oct 2007
I started crying a little at the end, when Miyako really started going all out in her phone calls.

That was seriously a crazy ep :<
Nov 21, 2007 10:01 AM

Jul 2007
Simply, amazing...

I also now have a reason to believe miyako may deserve him. xD
asandariNov 21, 2007 12:53 PM
Nov 21, 2007 12:12 PM

Aug 2007
In terms of Drama and Romance, ef right now is the definite winner of said genres. Hope Clannad will deliver in terms of the drama, but I seriously doubt kyoani can come up with something as powerful as this episode.

I'm not that big a fan of the Chihiro/Renji arc, but it looks like Renji is finally paying the price of not paying attention to Himura's words. The more emotionless Chihiro portrays herself in her words and her diary, the more empty Renji becomes inside. Her so called confession of love is nothing more than a statement based on her deducing that she likes Renji because he is nice to her. Its powerful, but not as powerful as the second part...

Now we enter one of the best scenes this anime season!

The way the phone conversations were portrayed, absolute genius on SHAFT's part. The way Miyako's voice went from nagging to downright desperation mixed very well with the background music. Music went from creepy to very intense as Miyako goes into meltdown.

I believe subbers have said how the text went from kanji, to a mix with furigana, then without kanji at all shows Miyako slowly reverting back to her childhood self where she was completely alone with no color or sound in her world.

Then we have the final nail to the coffin! Kei deleted all 99 messages left by Miyako to Hirono! Disappeared from his heart indeed!

This has to be the best episode by far of this season. What makes it even better is that such emotion can be portrayed using only the most basic of sakuga. Major props to SHAFT for choosing that style for the phone conversation, anything else would have lessened the impact of Miyako's breakdown.

Nov 21, 2007 12:15 PM

Oct 2007
I sorta liked the Renji breakdown. It's not something you'd immediatly think of, but if you see it in that way, it's pretty intense. Also, though the Miyako thing was a heap of drama too, the story didn't really move much further (maybe cuz it was a ''flashback'' orso). At the same time it'll mean that in the next episode we'll probably end up with something huge.

My kingdom for a bottle of plum juice!
Nov 21, 2007 12:28 PM

Jun 2007
I wanted more Miyaaakkkkooooooooo....=( I dont like Kei anymore since this episode -.-
Nov 21, 2007 12:42 PM

Jun 2007
great great episode
renji starts to see a pattern to her thinking, she does want to eventually breakdown Renji is trying to save her he wants her to be genuinely happy. But since chihiro doesnt remember much after 13 hours her reaction of like towards Renji comes out as unattached
and it feels like her actions are how she is suppose to act.

on miyako, i was waiting for this episode and now cant wait for next episode, I wonder if miyako is gonna act cold towards hirono or if she just isnt gonna go to school till hirono goes to see whats wrong with her. the clutter of messages was well done great way of showing how she feels, miyako's emotional state makes me like her more. as for kei *sigh*
i still dont want her to be with director guy kei's actions just makes me like Miyako more
Nov 21, 2007 1:17 PM

Apr 2007
I only have two words to say...

Holy, shit. O_O
Nov 21, 2007 1:53 PM

Jul 2007
MM805 said:

Holy, shit. O_O
and now i'm left with nothing to say O_O
Nov 21, 2007 2:24 PM

Nov 2007
Episode 7 brought this from "one of the best this season" to "one of the best this year". Hopefully the drama keeps coming. It really hits the fan in this episode.
Nov 21, 2007 2:58 PM

Jun 2007
After this episode, I went and added this anime to favorites.

I don't do it very often. :)
Nov 21, 2007 4:00 PM

Oct 2007
Faust721 said:
omg, that was intense. I was getting chills from that. Great stuff. I want more.

AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGG

simply amazing, it goes from 9 to 10!!!!

CHILLS ............. I LOVE THIS!!!!
Nov 21, 2007 4:03 PM
Aug 2007
Oh man this episode was really good.... Geez Kei really had to delete all 99 messages what a damn selfish girl... well Hirono you better knock some sense into Kei before Miyako does(if she finds out)......
Nov 21, 2007 5:40 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I agree Friendlysoul and those who said above - this episode brought chills, and raised it from 9 to 10. I also agree the episode was pure genius. None of the drama was senseless, none of it was out of the scheme of how any of us, you or me, would feel in the same position. So powerful.

Thanks, AngelLily, for saying everything I was thinking, only better xD The only thing I would change in her post is "She didn't just wait for him, she kept reaching out her hand to catch him" - I would say she kept reaching out hoping he would catch her, but now that I think about it, it really might have been both.

And thanks for the point about the subbers, PimpToad. That adds even more to the episode. I agree completely with your post as well.

I want the next episode. I want to know what's coming after this (not just story, sound, art, how it'll all be portrayed, EVERYTHING!)
Nov 21, 2007 5:51 PM

Apr 2007
PimpToad said:
I believe subbers have said how the text went from kanji, to a mix with furigana, then without kanji at all shows Miyako slowly reverting back to her childhood self where she was completely alone with no color or sound in her world.

Wow, I didn't know that. Just make things even more painful, doesn't it? I wonder how Miyako will act next episode. I think she'll notice Hiro didn't get her messages at all, and maybe she'll pretend the messages never happened, acussing him of being a cold man who left a girl waiting, in the old playful way.

I just don't see anything good happening to Kei at all.
Nov 21, 2007 6:21 PM

Feb 2007
I think everyone said pretty much what I would have to say...

Just, 2 things.

AngelLily: About you saying miya is NOT psycho, I agree. You take a look at kotonoha from school days, she was (at least in my opinion) not very likable, weak, and really psycho. In conrast, Miya has much more depth, and shaft does a really good job at not alienating viewers from her, and instead brings us closer. Then again, school days fails :P
and
Yes, kyoani definitely cannot beat out Ef, which is a shame. Because Clannad is full of so much win. I already had ef at 10/10, but after seeing this, I almost want to lower Clannad to 9/10... :O Even though I think in the end, Clannad will be better than air and kanon (unless the fuko arc never dies :P)

Poor chihiro. How can she really stay in love with him. All she can do is read about her love.. so it makes sense it's become their book.
Nov 21, 2007 6:31 PM

Oct 2007
Amazing! I'm in love with this show more and more!

AngelLily said:
I just don't see anything good happening to Kei at all.

Me too, I think she's digging her own grave.

Nov 21, 2007 8:22 PM

Aug 2007
The person who voted 4 must be burned at the stake! =P
Nov 21, 2007 9:05 PM
Sep 2007
MM805 said:

Holy, shit. O_O

Quoted for truth.
Nov 21, 2007 9:26 PM
Oct 2007
Not only was the drama in the episode probably one of the best I've ever seen in anime, the art/animation just keeps getting better.

I love where they're going with the style, it works perfectly with the story. The animation style change, colors, framing, and the text everywhere, it's just great.
Nov 21, 2007 10:06 PM

Apr 2007
The part where we hear the messages was just wow.
This show is amazing.
Nov 22, 2007 2:41 AM
Jun 2007
First part of the episode was awesome. 6/5

Second part was, a good attempt but seemed kind've budget-hugging, since nearly all of the scenes were stills. 3/5

Nov 22, 2007 4:41 AM

Jul 2007
Just amazing o.o
The second part was kind of scary x.x woah~
Nov 22, 2007 5:01 AM

Apr 2007
selective_yellow said:
AngelLily: About you saying miya is NOT psycho, I agree. You take a look at kotonoha from school days, she was (at least in my opinion) not very likable, weak, and really psycho. In conrast, Miya has much more depth, and shaft does a really good job at not alienating viewers from her, and instead brings us closer. Then again, school days fails :P
and
Yes, kyoani definitely cannot beat out Ef, which is a shame. Because Clannad is full of so much win. I already had ef at 10/10, but after seeing this, I almost want to lower Clannad to 9/10... :O Even though I think in the end, Clannad will be better than air and kanon (unless the fuko arc never dies :P)

Exactly. Miyako didn't want Hiro only for herself, she didn't want to keep him or anything that'd call for 'mentally disturbed'. At one point, she said that all she wanted to do was see him, she just wanted to be with him. Also, she didn't even bother with Kei up to the point Kei said she was going to make Hiro forget about her, which was the trigger to emotionally unstable Miyako. All she wanted was to be happy and have someone who held her dear. There's nothing psycho about that. Kotonoha, on the other side, was in deep denial, and wanted to have Makoto for herself, everyone else excluded. The difference between the mental state of both characters is evident.

And I too am disappointed that ef ended up being more touching than Clannad. I've been waiting for Clannad to be just as great as Air and Kanon, and hell, I didn't like Makoto but even her arc had me sobbing. Clannad has good character developing for Nagisa and Tomoya, but so far, it's only managed to make me yawn.

I really hope Chihiro and Renji can have a happy ending. I still love their storyline, more than the love triangle's.
Nov 22, 2007 5:14 AM

Nov 2007
This episode replaced Clannad as my favourite for this season =O

Come visit my dA account: http://yanagitakeshi.deviantart.com
Come visit my city here: http://brave-willow.myminicity.com/
Like dinosours? Sign up & play here: http://www.dinoparc.com/?ref=Takeshi
Nov 22, 2007 5:41 AM

Jun 2007
muffin-chan said:
Just amazing o.o
The second part was kind of scary x.x woah~

Scary! Not scary, but it was a whole emotional metamorphosis. :)
Nov 22, 2007 5:55 AM

Oct 2007
Many people already though that Clannad wasn't doing really great as ef did in this episode but they might forgot something that Clannad had 24 eps and ef only had 12 eps and the other thing is that KyoAni never start soemthing big in the first few episodes of the series.

At the beginning of the season i have no idea about this series or simply say it less attractive but after the first episodes i have no idea why I am so into this series. So far it is safe to say that ef is above Clannad but Clannad has its potential of latter episode.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Nov 22, 2007 6:04 AM

Apr 2007
That's true, Clannad is longer and has potential for win. However, the Fuko arc is taking too long, and the fact that it resembles Ayu's arc from Kanon makes it much less atractive. If they have a differential, it's time to show it already. I'm all for character development, but come on. We have so many other girls to cover.

By the way, I wonder if we'll have some clues for Yuko and Yu soon.
Nov 22, 2007 6:55 AM

Nov 2007
that was really intense, i hope that this won't end like the anime "School Days" did.

I was really scared on Miyako's call.

Brilliant episode.
Nov 22, 2007 7:40 AM

Apr 2007
School Days only had a bad end because that's why the games were famous in the first place, and I'm sure that's what people were expecting since the beginning. ef game doesn't have bloody bad ends, at least not that I know of.
MaxwellLilyNov 22, 2007 7:43 AM
Nov 22, 2007 8:37 AM

Sep 2007
I weep for Miyako.
Nov 22, 2007 9:29 AM

Aug 2007
I'm now rooting for Miyako, while she does seem bunny boiler insane what Kei did was really uncalled for and she has now earned the b**ch status from me.

While I do love the Chihiro and Renji parts it does seem like they spent too much time dealing with that this episode.

Animation, art and music was sublime throughout yet again and the story continues for Renji And Chihiro and deepens for the Miyako, Kei and Hiro love triangle.

I knew this series would be better than Clannad (well it was my most looked forward to autumn anime as you can see in one of the threads in anime discussion), I wasn't particulary holding any high expectations for Clannad like most in here seemed to have been, I was expecting more of the same of Kyoani stuff and that's exactly what it is.

I was expecting a great story and music from the promo for ef. What I didn't expect was how frequent the great music is, how strong the story is, how smooth and generally amazing the animation and art is.
OriginalNameNov 22, 2007 9:54 AM

Nov 22, 2007 9:45 AM

Sep 2007
OmegaJudgement said:
I knew this series would be better than Clannad (well it was my most looked forward to autumn anime as you can see in one of the threads in anime discussion), I wasn't particulary holding any high expectations for Clannad like most in here seemed to have been, I was expecting more of the same of Kyoani stuff and that's exactly what it is.

really imo i must sadly said you are right.Clannad is good, but it isnt that different as kanon. It has his funny parts and the story is good but i always get the feeling i saw it somewhere else too....

ok but back to ef, greatest epi so far imo. animation style quite different and imo really special, like the drawing parts or the video cam parts. Peoples mentioned it before
great monologue of miyako and how she turned out to be more and more depressed it was so despaired.....

and didnt expect it that the renjipart also getting intereting too.
great serie i hope next epi hold this qauli.
Nov 22, 2007 10:04 AM

Aug 2007
I don't think some people realize the greatness of part 2. So what if it only had stills with text going around the whole screen. Do you even realize the importance of the text? Didn't you feel the emotion when Miyako's voice went from nagging, to depression, to downright desperation? The background music helped to this effect as well, as it went from tense to creepy as Miyako spiraled back into her childhood.

The fact that it could generate such emotions using the most basic of animation showed the greatness of the scene. You are left to your imagination as to how Miyako is handling all this, but at the same time know what is happening because of her voice.

An even better result of this is that the scene must have saved them a lot on their budget. We can expect future episodes to have sakuga that will rival kyoani's Clannad sometime in the future, although don't expect consistency on it.

I dare anyone say that the scene would have been the same way with god-like kyoani sakuga without the great voice acting and the bg music.

Clannad will probably deliver, kyoani always deliver =P
They have more episodes to work with, so it shouldn't feel as rushed as ef at the moment.
Nov 22, 2007 10:37 AM

May 2007
fucking love this epic show.
Nov 22, 2007 11:24 AM

Aug 2007
whoa that blew me away. lots of style and great voice acting
Nov 22, 2007 12:01 PM

Jun 2007
This episode was amazing, I just want to show it to everybody. I love how artistic and powerful it was. I still like Clannad better because it has more comedy and I like the Fuko arc, (never seen Kanon.)

Nov 22, 2007 12:46 PM
Oct 2007
wow, someone went off the deep end straight into crazy bitch land
Nov 22, 2007 1:20 PM

Jun 2007
hmm, this episode was really amazing, like always
but it made me kind of sad seeing miyako suffer...

the first half with renji and chihiro kinda touched me too, but not that much.
seeing chihiro be forgetting about renji little by little (yeah, because of the memory disease, but renji felt like she wasnt paying that much attention to him anymore) the animation for renji's mind breakdown was really awesome. cant wait till i see the next episode.

for the second half, i think it was really well made, miya's past reveals a lot of why she was acting that way when kei told her about she dissapearing from hiro's heart.
the way they did it was extremely brilliant, and hearing miya cry was probably one of the things that hit me the hardest...

by the end... i pretty much agree with whoever said that kei is officially a b**tch for me... since she really acted that way....

gomen kei fans, but i really disliked her a lot... what she did was just wrong...
Nov 22, 2007 3:02 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, a very deeply emotional episode. I loved how all the artwork and emotions were depicted. It was soo painful though both with Renji and with Miyako. It almost felt like pins were being driven into your heart, one-by-one, as the episode progress, until it made you feel like breaking down yourself.

As for Miyako, I guess some of my earlier hypothesizes were correct. I knew there was something wrong with her family. Just watching that scene was so painful though. It felt so empty....so void of life, even to the point where all color and sounds disappeared. The scene with the messages was the most intense of all. As message after message, you began feeling from sadness and despair to pent up anger and rage. Damn that Hiro, damn Kei. Perhaps it's wrong to blame either of them for anything, but you can't help but want to direct your rage somewhere. It was just too sad watching Miyako breaking down like that.

As for those who say how this anime tops Clannad, sadly to say, I have to agree. I am a big KyoAni fan, but this entire series is something else. So far the plot, the music, the artwork, all of it is at the top of its ranks. Pure 10's. I have never seen such an innovation of artwork before. The colors, the sounds, the emotion...purely gorgeous.
Nov 22, 2007 3:17 PM

Oct 2007
I personally thought this was the worst episode so far and even though I said that, this still was an amazing episode. I didn't like it that much due to the lack of effort put into it however the different methods in which the character's emotions were portrayed were on a completely different level.

Well I need to start considering whether I should increase my score from 8/10 to 9/10 ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2007 5:31 PM

Jul 2007
This episode was just wow. Watching it made me speechless because of all the emotion and feeling it sent.
I really understand how Miyako feels now. It has made me extremely sympathetic for her. The way her family broke down, and now she was breaking down with every message. And even though it was all stills, the effect was amazing.
Watching Renji breakdown really pierced my heart. I want him and Chihiro to just be together, but the possibility of that happening as she continues writing her own story just goes down. The breakdown was done incredibly well, and made me almost cry.
This is definetly the best show of the season in every category. Music, animation, plot, characters, everything is just total win.
Nov 22, 2007 6:12 PM

Jun 2007
This episode was AMAZING! That totally took me off guard and also left me with allot of wtfs. The whole part with the "camera static" scene was weird and confusing. Every time that happened I lost my train of thought and couldn't comprehend what was being said lol. Although there was one part where it was like the tables where turned and Renji was the one who had the memory problem. I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck happened lol.

I hope Miyako doesn't kill her self. At the end of the whole messages it sounded like she was starting to get desperate and to the point of suicide. If would suck if the next ep we don't see her come to school and then after a few days whats his face goes to visit her and finds her dead. That would totally be fucked up.
Nov 22, 2007 10:12 PM
Oct 2007
Strangely enough, I found myself comparing ef to the later episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion (and The End of Evangelion).

As for what I think of the ef series so far/this episode: Wow.
moo
Nov 23, 2007 1:52 PM

Nov 2007
great episode, but i didnt understand why renji-kun didnt kiss chihiro and freaked out when chihiro asked him to. why? what was going on?? and i really hope miyako doesnt get hurt even more on the next episode...

ef vs clannad?
hmm well i love everything from kyoAni, and clannad is really a masterpiece, but i think i am enjoying ef more than clannad right now, ive never seen anything like ef before, its just amazing. i cant say for sure which 1 is better untill i complete both series
yuichii2Nov 23, 2007 2:09 PM

Nov 23, 2007 2:11 PM

Jul 2007
I think it's been explained already,but to reiterate the short story is that Renji has realised that Chihiro's feelings don't fit the traditional mold, and he feels that it is just wrong (the romantic viewpoint). He wants to work it out with Chihiro rather than scare her away, but in the end he scares her away anyways, (perhaps because of a misunderstanding or because Chihiro doesn't want to face the truth, or just an over-reaction at Renji's hesitations).

Edited for typos, and grammar.
asandariNov 24, 2007 9:54 AM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

radiantfire - Dec 22, 2007

332 by salarx »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dancu - Dec 12, 2007

196 by AaronPvP »»
Aug 19, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

radiantfire - Dec 17, 2007

195 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:08 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Dec 4, 2007

185 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.