Forum Settings
Forums

Fundraising in Kickstarter to Extend 'Little Witch Academia 2' Met Goal in its First Day

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 9, 2013 12:03 PM

Oct 2007
Yvese said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I think the main reason I like this result is that apparently this got almost no Japanese support and thus it potentially shows straight up that Western fans can have a major impact on the anime industry and hopefully ever so slightly loosens the core otaku stranglehold on the minds and attention of the industries producers. If more instances like this could happen the possibilities would be huge. The industry would no longer have to fear the otaku backlash in boycotts and just general lack of interest for every sort of idea that doesn't strike their fancy and the door opens to so many new ideas getting green-lit that never would have otherwise.

Little Witch Academia was a fun little short and I'm glad there'll be more, but I hope the repercussions and shock waves within the industry will be greater yet. That's my main interest here.

And this isn't to totally knock the Japanese fans, but when you see a little upstart studio like Trigger all but establish itself as the darling of the Western Fandom in a little under a year it says a lot to me about the differences in opinion on the direction anime should be heading between the two cultures. I don't think anime needs saving, just an environment where good interesting ideas can prosper like in the 80's and 90's. It hasn't had that in a while, but it keeps inching ever closer back to the environment that created what many call the Golden Age of Anime.
I think you're getting too ahead of yourself here over just one show/studio.

All this kickstarter does is help FUND extra runtime to the sequel. It doesn't make it profitable since they're already giving the discs for those that pledge a certain amount.

The industry wont start catering to western audiences just because all of a sudden *small* studios can get their projects funded by them.

99.9% of the money is still in Japan where they can actually make money off mangas/discs, as opposed to the west where most people pirate ( torrents, scanlation sites, etc ).

Best case scenario, kickstarter for the anime industry follows the game industry - surge of indies. We've seen how indies through kickstarter has impacted the game industry - it's made very little impact in the grand scheme of things.

It has resulted in some cool indie games being developed ( Star Citizen is one I'm looking forward to ), but big name publishers have largely ignored it since it is a niche market. The same thing will happen in the anime industry if kick starter gains traction.

It's something that allows risk for both new and old creators without it being an all in situation though. Even if it still won't be hugely popular and profitable at least it allows things to get made that further the craft of animation for up and coming animators and the way the creators want it to be made and without the fear of backlash or total destitution for being unorthodox in approach. I personally think that anime has become to focused on catering to a select group of consumers that number in the tens of thousands and I want to see that change via expansion of concept and for more than just a handful of established studios (Sunrise, Toei, I.G etc) to be able to take those risks. I also don't like how it seems that animators of today are starting to lose the techniques that we once took for granted like being able to animate mechanical objects like cars and robots without having to resort to CGI and if something like Little Witch Academia and the Young Animators Training Program can help towards bringing up young sakuga animators I'm all for it.

I'm not one of those people that demand that every show be wholly original because that is an entirely unrealistic and utterly absurd proposal, but I would like to see a furthering of what I consider to be positive trends in the future and for anime to not fall back into a creative rut like I felt it got into towards the end of the 00's.
Jul 9, 2013 12:10 PM

Sep 2012
I kind of agree with what Yvese said. The kickstarter phenomenon has led more to rise of indies than diversification of existing big players. But still it is not a bad thing. To anime industry, the taste of western fans is most likely a niche thing and often the best firms to deal with niche markets are the indies.

And I would object to any view that there is any creative rut in the 00s. If anything I think it is filled with creative ideas and new trends -- but it is detested by some people because they don't like the ideas and trends that the industry adopted.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 9, 2013 12:19 PM

Jun 2008
Even a potato would get funded there.
Jul 9, 2013 12:33 PM

Jan 2008
symbv said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I think the main reason I like this result is that apparently this got almost no Japanese support and thus it potentially shows straight up that Western fans can have a major impact on the anime industry and hopefully ever so slightly loosens the core otaku stranglehold on the minds and attention of the industries producers.
Depends on what Japanese support you are talking about. Japanese fan support for the extension - right, there seems to be little from Japan. The core part of the sequel? The fund must have come from Japan as the decision was already made to make a 20min sequel. So the impact from the western fans is for the 15min extension. Now I am not saying that western fans are not making impact. They do in this case and I think it is great, but I would qualify any statement that "Little Witch Academia 2" got no Japanese support or the sequel is only possible because of western fans. I know you are not saying that, but I cannot help feeling some may take thing into that direction.
We the western fans were it, which begged them to do a sequel and showed the most interest in LWA. I dare say without us they wouldn't even have considered to do a second OVA at all.
PerplexJul 9, 2013 2:46 PM
Jul 9, 2013 12:35 PM

Mar 2012
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 9, 2013 12:37 PM

Jan 2011
Araby said:

Hahahahaha this is perfect.
[center]
Jul 9, 2013 12:41 PM

Jul 2011
Trigger created a poll : https://www.facebook.com/st.trigger?ref=hl
"Would you like to see Little Witch Academia dubbed in other language or not?"
Speedcubing: 3x3x3 , 2x2x2 , Pyraminx
Jul 9, 2013 12:41 PM
Oct 2010
Let me just say that despite everything, the western fans are who truly encouraged them to make the sequel. This came straight from the creator's mouth, as he said most of the support came from english speaking countries and that was the reason they wanted to do a sequel. He also said that the kickstarter idea came from westerners, and they really had no idea what kickstarter was.

Now does this mean the industry is going to cater to western audiences? No. But it does mean that some indies can create shows with westerners in mind, especially if they see that the westerners are willing to go so far as to fund production.
Jul 9, 2013 12:42 PM
Oct 2010
Vosmare said:

lol the last 4 options are pretty hilarious.
Jul 9, 2013 12:45 PM

Sep 2012
Perplex said:
We the western fans were it, wich begged them to do a sequel and showed the most interest in LWA. I dare say without us they wouldn't even have considered to do a second OVA at all.
Now you are jumping to conclusion here. I wonder what makes you so confident to "dare say" that without YOU there would not be a second LWA. It is not as if the video did not get recognized or have bad feedback, quite the contrary in fact. I am happy that LWA got a sequel but I hope people like you do not let it go to your head that it is only because of you that LWA got a sequel and there is little or no credit for people in Japan. At the end where else do they get the fund for the 20min sequel in the first place? If people love to jump to conclusion, perhaps very soon we will see people claiming KyoAni did Free only because of western fans begged them to do it etc !
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 9, 2013 1:14 PM

Feb 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:

It's something that allows risk for both new and old creators without it being an all in situation though. Even if it still won't be hugely popular and profitable at least it allows things to get made that further the craft of animation for up and coming animators and the way the creators want it to be made and without the fear of backlash or total destitution for being unorthodox in approach. I personally think that anime has become to focused on catering to a select group of consumers that number in the tens of thousands and I want to see that change via expansion of concept and for more than just a handful of established studios (Sunrise, Toei, I.G etc) to be able to take those risks. I also don't like how it seems that animators of today are starting to lose the techniques that we once took for granted like being able to animate mechanical objects like cars and robots without having to resort to CGI and if something like Little Witch Academia and the Young Animators Training Program can help towards bringing up young sakuga animators I'm all for it.

I'm not one of those people that demand that every show be wholly original because that is an entirely unrealistic and utterly absurd proposal, but I would like to see a furthering of what I consider to be positive trends in the future and for anime to not fall back into a creative rut like I felt it got into towards the end of the 00's.
Thing is though, just because Little Witch Academia was successful on kickstarter, it doesn't mean we'll suddenly start seeing more anime being pitched there.

One of the issues with kickstarter for anime is it largely depends on getting enough interest on an already released project. A studio actually has to make an ep in order to pitch a sequel to viewers which, ultimately, brings us back to the issue of relying on someone to fund it. The only difference is kickstarter funders don't expect an ROI in the form of profits, but rather in the form of quality entertainment.

The reason you'd need an already released project is due to the fact that you'd find it very difficult to pitch a new anime project on kickstarter with just storyboards/concept arts/plot summary, which is why most anime you'd see on Kickstarter would have to rely on anime made from things like the Young Animator Training Project.

I don't think you'll find many small studios/startups willing to fund an ep out of their own pocket just to pitch it on kickstarter. Indie game devs can get away with it since they can profit from it in the end once it's released on STEAM/XBL/PSN. That and they can easily make prototypes of the game to pitch to kickstarter which is far easier than making an alluring preview for an anime pitch.

So really, nothing much will change from this since we will still see new and interesting projects from those young animator programs. The only difference is they can now use kickstarter if there's enough interest for a sequel. The end result is kickstarter can help fill a small niche in the industry. If indie games on kickstarter can't change the industry, neither can anime. Especially considering the anime industry is far less forgiving.
Jul 9, 2013 2:21 PM

Apr 2010
Fuck yeah! Now give us what we desderve dammit!

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Jul 9, 2013 2:26 PM

Jan 2011
Yvese said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Thing is though, just because Little Witch Academia was successful on kickstarter, it doesn't mean we'll suddenly start seeing more anime being pitched there.

I want to believe
[center]
Jul 9, 2013 2:45 PM

Feb 2012
Wow this is quite something, even tho I still have to check Little Witch Academia out, but judging from all the hype it's getting on the net (here, fb, youtube, kickstarter etc) it must be something really nice.

They almost got 250k in a day, people are really standing up strong for this.
Jul 9, 2013 2:51 PM

Jan 2013
VioLink said:
I want to believe
Never stop believing!
Let them negative people eat crows.
Jul 9, 2013 3:03 PM
Jan 2011
This is quite amazing coming close to 250k in just one day, its pretty easy to back as well using amazon.
feels good backing this, completely worthwhile!!
Jul 9, 2013 3:24 PM

Jan 2012
Donated
My Twitter
My Tumblr - Anime Blogging on current airing season as I watch them.
My deviantArt - Anime FanArts.

Please leave replies on my profile page, as I am unlikely to see them otherwise. Thanks.
Jul 9, 2013 3:32 PM

May 2012
Wow, that certainly was quick. I wonder how much farther it will go by the end of the fundraiser. Maybe so much that Trigger will consider giving it a full series?
Jul 9, 2013 3:42 PM
Jul 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I think the main reason I like this result is that apparently this got almost no Japanese support and thus it potentially shows straight up that Western fans can have a major impact on the anime industry and hopefully ever so slightly loosens the core otaku stranglehold on the minds and attention of the industries producers. If more instances like this could happen the possibilities would be huge. The industry would no longer have to fear the otaku backlash in boycotts and just general lack of interest for every sort of idea that doesn't strike their fancy and the door opens to so many new ideas getting green-lit that never would have otherwise.

Little Witch Academia was a fun little short and I'm glad there'll be more, but I hope the repercussions and shock waves within the industry will be greater yet. That's my main interest here.

And this isn't to totally knock the Japanese fans, but when you see a little upstart studio like Trigger all but establish itself as the darling of the Western Fandom in a little under a year it says a lot to me about the differences in opinion on the direction anime should be heading between the two cultures. I don't think anime needs saving, just an environment where good interesting ideas can prosper like in the 80's and 90's. It hasn't had that in a while, but it keeps inching ever closer back to the environment that created what many call the Golden Age of Anime.

that seems a little of bit ignorant to me their a lot of Japanese fans who have the same taste as you and just because you are outside of japan doesn't make your opinion of anime any less/more important than those who are in, plus their will be no anime without Japanese fans so a little bit of respect will be appreciated

why do people have to categorize themselves as either Japanese/western anime fan ? it's doesn't mater what maters is that you like anime and that all, also anime is still made in japan and if they started making in for western audience will it's just gonna ruin it,don't people watch anime because of it's Japanese style
i mean if you want something 'western' their something called cartoon
anyway that my opinion in this situation i will like to see more anime in kickstarter tho

Mod edit: merged double post
koleareJul 10, 2013 1:05 AM
Jul 9, 2013 3:54 PM

Feb 2008
Xionea said:
Wow, that certainly was quick. I wonder how much farther it will go by the end of the fundraiser. Maybe so much that Trigger will consider giving it a full series?

I'd much rather have a movie instead of a TV series. Quality over length. Nobody wants to see a creative project like this held back in order to be palatable to the otaku masses.
Jul 9, 2013 4:44 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Ghostbooster said:
why do people have to categorize themselves as either Japanese/western anime fan ?

Yes, I am not sure about over-generalization of this. Also, does "Western" fans include only Europe, Austrialia and NA, or does it include South America, East Asia, SE Asia, etc.? I am not sure I am comfortable with this labeling.

And no, it is a stereotype that all Japanese otaku only likes moe, idol and ecchi series. That is not the case.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 9, 2013 5:04 PM

Nov 2012
THIS IS THE BEST NEWS IVE HEARD IN A WHILE
Jul 9, 2013 5:12 PM
Jul 2013
wakka9ca said:
Ghostbooster said:
why do people have to categorize themselves as either Japanese/western anime fan ?

Yes, I am not sure about over-generalization of this. Also, does "Western" fans include only Europe, Austrialia and NA, or does it include South America, East Asia, SE Asia, etc.? I am not sure I am comfortable with this labeling.

And no, it is a stereotype that all Japanese otaku only likes moe, idol and ecchi series. That is not the case.

i guess it's more of non-Japanese anime fans and Japanese anime fans
anyway what i meant is that a lot of good anime has been successful thanks to their Japanese market
and i have a lot Japanese friends and they call themselves otakus and also they are not fan of moi nor echi anime series they like action anime
generalizing and stereotype can be done against anything it's like someone sees how call of duty sells a lot of million in usa and says Americans only like fps games which off course untrue
Jul 9, 2013 5:24 PM

Nov 2007
come on everyone on mal kick in $20+ lets go a series of movies xD

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jul 9, 2013 5:34 PM

Apr 2011
Kickstarter FTW!!! Sequel when??
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Jul 9, 2013 5:56 PM

Apr 2013
Vosmare said:

"Just take 50$ and make more Inferno Cop"
Holy shit I died. Some of the other options are hilarious too.
Jul 9, 2013 6:52 PM

Aug 2012
PWJP said:

''Yes, but only if Morgan Freeman does all of the voice acting and singing.''
I want this.
Jul 9, 2013 7:21 PM

Jan 2009
/a/ made it rain

Jul 9, 2013 8:13 PM

Jun 2009
some one give me some money so i can up my donation to $300
Jul 9, 2013 8:29 PM

Apr 2011

> Estimated delivery: Apr 2015
Well damn... I'm sad now.
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Jul 9, 2013 9:49 PM

Aug 2011
MrAwesome2011 said:
PWJP said:

''Yes, but only if Morgan Freeman does all of the voice acting and singing.''
I want this.

I voted for the Inferno Cop option.

I'd be happy with either Morgan Freeman or Liam Neeson voicing every character in a dub though.

imperlast said:
some one give me some money so i can up my donation to $300

It's going to be really, really cool to see my name in the credits for an anime.
Jul 9, 2013 9:59 PM

Feb 2012
Just pledged $50 for the bluray and art book, I love my art books. If this happens to become feature-length, than this is a very good deal.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2013 11:13 PM

Dec 2012
Heh! I'm happy I supported this! Didn't expect it to already reach its goal, though... :0

Although, by the time it comes out, I'll probably barely even remember anything about the donation and will forget to check the credits... :(
PantsManJul 9, 2013 11:17 PM
Jul 9, 2013 11:28 PM

Feb 2008
If someone pledges $300, please tell them to put Inferno Cop as your name.
Jul 10, 2013 1:47 AM

Nov 2007
they are gonna break into most funded projects for sure

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jul 10, 2013 4:11 AM

May 2010
how about an actual series...
Jul 10, 2013 4:13 AM

Dec 2011
Kazeshini said:

They've already doubled their goal 2 days in. Depending on how this keeps up i wouldn't be surprised.
Jul 10, 2013 4:14 AM

May 2010
Kidkidd said:
Kazeshini said:

They've already doubled their goal 2 days in. Depending on how this keeps up i wouldn't be surprised.
don't think so, more work needs to be done
Jul 10, 2013 9:03 AM

Sep 2009
Payed 20$. Not much but still.
Jul 10, 2013 9:17 AM

Jun 2009
Corpse69 said:
they are gonna break into most funded projects for sure
14 k till they are the 4th most funded aniamtion project
Jul 10, 2013 9:23 AM

Jul 2013
Pledged 300$, can't wait to see my name in them credits!
Jul 10, 2013 9:25 AM

Jun 2009
Walp said:
Pledged 300$, can't wait to see my name in them credits!
30 minutes show 2 hours of credits of names of people who donated
Jul 10, 2013 9:51 AM

Nov 2012
Is the contributor credit roll going to only appear in the western release, or will it also show up in the Japanese domestic version? I have this absurd image in my head of the audience over there being puzzled over the long list of gaijin names, wondering "Who the hell are these guys?".
Jul 10, 2013 10:02 AM

Mar 2012
I wonder if the stretch goals will be modest or ambitious.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 10, 2013 10:16 AM

Nov 2008
they never stop to amaze me when it comes to finding new ways to make money
Jul 10, 2013 10:41 AM

Aug 2008
I was already surprised so many people was prising the title so much but this news is more than dumbfounding.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 10, 2013 10:44 AM

Jan 2013
I'm a $300 backer! Feel so excited, can't wait for 2015
(And I get credited too, yay!)

I miss image BBC Code. May this sig stand as a testament to SSJMaster's power.
Jul 10, 2013 11:25 AM

Apr 2013
I didn't even know this Kickstarter existed. I'm ashamed to admit that.

Donated immediately. I mean "backed".
Finally something other than a video game worth Kickstarting.
Jul 10, 2013 11:34 AM

Feb 2008
So when is this getting added to MAL?
Jul 10, 2013 11:54 AM

Jul 2013
Over 300k now :) I wonder what they'd do if it went over 1m$?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
58 minutes ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
2 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
4 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

17 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.