Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you think you'll switch any time in the future?
Pages (21) « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 »
Jun 8, 2014 5:26 AM

Aug 2013
I'm just checking it out now for the first time. It seems like everything is taking forever to load, though not sure if that's the website or my computer's fault. I like how it has a feed page to allow more personal social interaction. It makes me wonder if you would get updates from others as there's a "followers" tabs. I'm disappointed that there's no manga list... and really, navigating it right now... this thing takes forever to load o.O

This is only what I've noticed in 10 minutes of fiddling around with it. I find MAL easier to navigate, and less visually drab in some ways.
Jun 8, 2014 5:30 AM

Apr 2011
The design is atrocious.

Forsh said:
I think its a MAL rip-off.

More like a Twitter rip-off.
Jun 8, 2014 5:35 AM

May 2010
JadeQuetzal said:
I'm just checking it out now for the first time. It seems like everything is taking forever to load, though not sure if that's the website or my computer's fault. I like how it has a feed page to allow more personal social interaction. It makes me wonder if you would get updates from others as there's a "followers" tabs. I'm disappointed that there's no manga list... and really, navigating it right now... this thing takes forever to load o.O

This is only what I've noticed in 10 minutes of fiddling around with it. I find MAL easier to navigate, and less visually drab in some ways.

It's not your computer , it's the sites problem . I also encountered that problem when trying to check the website , it takes forever to load and crashes all the time. So yeah , I am really convinced that their site sucks
Jun 8, 2014 5:43 AM
Oct 2011
It's a shit MAL-wannabe website where people agree on opinions and respect them. Yes, it's that bad. (Or that's how it was when it started)
Jun 8, 2014 5:44 AM

Aug 2013
kleysss said:

It's not your computer , it's the sites problem . I also encountered that problem when trying to check the website , it takes forever to load and crashes all the time. So yeah , I am really convinced that their site sucks

Yeah, it really does take a while to load. The forums don't seem too easy to navigate either, but I'm not used to them like I am to the forums here. Though it also wouldn't import over a dozen on my list, is it really that incomplete? At least I could get the username I normally use (had to change it a bit for this site).

All together it doesn't seem like a bad site, just a matter of preference... and apparently, patience?
Jun 8, 2014 5:55 AM

Apr 2012
Candor said:
It's a shit MAL-wannabe website where people agree on opinions and respect them. Yes, it's that bad. (Or that's how it was when it started)

It still is that way and even worse. Now they ban you for not accepting other people's opinions, and if you have a different one it's the same shit, you'll still get banned.

And yeah, the forums are slow, there's infinite scrolling (wtf) and overall, it's big, bulky and really ugly.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jun 8, 2014 6:05 AM
Aug 2012
A shitty layout.
Jun 8, 2014 6:26 AM

Mar 2009
Jun 9, 2014 9:05 AM

Feb 2010
After spending a week there I can safely say it's even more unstable than MAL, both the forum and the main page. Down mutiple times a day, or very slow at best, lacking a lot of essential features and having that modern layout that I hate, especially for the forum. All that combines to a not very pleasant experience. Also the userbase didn't seem as nice as people always say. The nicest people were those I knew from MAL and seeing some episode threads only consisting of 'I hate this episode' and then screenshots of MAL episode discussion threads collecting people who have to say something positive about the episode with a snarky comment like 'typical MAL' at the end. I swear that one discussion thread consisted of nothing else but people who hated the episode and made fun of anyone on MAL who said something positive about it xD.
So yeah, I guess I'll keep my list updated in case I get banned again for something ridiculous, but I tried keeping forum activity up but the downtimes and slow loading just makes me angry so I'll close the tabs for good.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 9, 2014 9:06 AM

Nov 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
After spending a week there I can safely say it's even more unstable than MAL, both the forum and the main page. Down mutiple times a day, or very slow at best, lacking a lot of essential features and having that modern layout that I hate, especially for the forum. All that combines to a not very pleasant experience. Also the userbase didn't seem as nice as people always say. The nicest people were those I knew from MAL and seeing some episode threads only consisting of 'I hate this episode' and then screenshots of MAL episode discussion threads collecting people who have to say something positive about the episode with a snarky comment like 'typical MAL' at the end. I swear that one discussion thread consisted of nothing else but people who hated the episode and made fun of anyone on MAL who said something positive about it xD.
So yeah, I guess I'll keep my list updated in case I get banned again for something ridiculous, but I tried keeping forum activity up but the downtimes and slow loading just makes me angry so I'll close the tabs for good.
Which episode discussion thread was that? I rarely go in them so I never knew they were doing that.
Jun 24, 2014 7:01 PM

Aug 2012
After spending about 10 months on the site I feel for the most part it puts MAL to shame. The layout is far better and is doesn't look like it was made in the 90's. I also like the fact that I can import my MAL list.The people seem to be nicer and forms seem to have FAR more interesting discussions. The only things I don't like are the lack of features that MAL has like Manga tracking, character info, LN tracking,ect...But I do like the recommendation page that they have and its easier to find out about the new anime that air's each season. They also track anime influenced shows like avatar, RWBY, and code lyoko. And you can have more than 5 favorites on HB. A minor feature that they also have is the waifu system and the update anime fearure. But at the end of the day MAL at the moment is still better solely based on the fact that MAL is a finished site & HB is still a work in progress. But if they add in the features they are missing soon I may have to say goodbye to MAL. But until then I will continue to use both.
KingOfBlades38Jun 24, 2014 7:07 PM
Jun 24, 2014 7:12 PM

Nov 2013
I like MAL's layout better.
I've grown attached to it.

I can see you

Jun 24, 2014 7:24 PM

Nov 2010
sasukefan38 said:
I also like the fact that I can import my MAL list.
You can import your MAL list and HB list here.

sasukefan38 said:
The people seem to be nicer and forms seem to have FAR more interesting discussions.
Really? One day ago.
I would post more but there are not that many interesting treads anymore.

sasukefan38 said:
They also track anime influenced shows like avatar, RWBY, and code lyoko.
MAL has like 1,000 more anime than them though.

sasukefan38 said:
And you can have more than 5 favorites on HB.
There will be a limit one day especially when and if they get manga, characters, people, etc.

sasukefan38 said:
A minor feature that they also have is the waifu system and the update anime fearure.
If you're talking minor features then how about the ability to add more info when you add an anime, the ability to customize anime lists, anime have their own boards, better news, blogs, customizable about me, etc.
Jun 24, 2014 7:29 PM

Jul 2012
I'll probably posted in this thread before but...

Design's pretty but not efficient at all. Too oversized and graphic-based for me. I like MAL's more text and table-based design. MAL is also sleek and can fit more on a screen. Also, yeah MAL has more stuff.
Jun 24, 2014 7:40 PM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
sasukefan38 said:
I also like the fact that I can import my MAL list.
You can import your MAL list and HB list here.
I joined MAL first so I don't use it.

sasukefan38 said:
The people seem to be nicer and forms seem to have FAR more interesting discussions.
Really? One day ago.
I would post more but there are not that many interesting treads anymore.
Look at whats been posted today. problem solved.
sasukefan38 said:
They also track anime influenced shows like avatar, RWBY, and code lyoko.
MAL has like 1,000 more anime than them though.

But MAL only tracks anime. Plus MAL is a finished (yet very outdated) site while HB is not.

sasukefan38 said:
And you can have more than 5 favorites on HB.
There will be a limit one day especially when and if they get manga, characters, people, etc.

Not likely but possible sure.

sasukefan38 said:
A minor feature that they also have is the waifu system and the update anime fearure.
If you're talking minor features then how about the ability to add more info when you add an anime, the ability to customize anime lists, anime have their own boards, better news, blogs, customizable about me, etc.

I never needed or wanted to use any of these features.
Jun 24, 2014 7:52 PM

Nov 2010
sasukefan38 said:
Yet you need or wanted the waifu feature?
Jun 24, 2014 7:54 PM

Feb 2014
MAL is in desperate need of a waifu feature.
Jun 24, 2014 7:57 PM

Feb 2013
sasukefan38 said:
But MAL only tracks anime.
Holy shit, really? I had no idea. Why the fuck do they only let you list anime on an anime listing site?
Jun 24, 2014 8:02 PM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
sasukefan38 said:

Of course. I'm amazed that that this site doesn't have it or something similar.
Jun 24, 2014 8:03 PM

Nov 2012
On one hand the modern design is nice but on the other hand I'd trade that for MAL's faster loading times. Also reviews seem sparse (in content and helpfulness), less useful features, etc. Some issues will be resolved as more people use it but... for now not having manga is a dealbreaker for me.

Also when I click anime titles and cover art nothing happens? Had to click and drag stuff into my browser tabs.

Anyone know the size of Hummingbird's userbase?
SleepyBearJun 24, 2014 8:07 PM
Jun 24, 2014 8:08 PM

Aug 2012
NTAD said:
sasukefan38 said:
But MAL only tracks anime.
Holy shit, really? I had no idea. Why the fuck do they only let you list anime on an anime listing site?

I know right? HB is also a anime listing site but they also track anime influenced shows. Must be some kind of new advanced tech that they have...
Jun 24, 2014 8:09 PM

Feb 2013
sasukefan38 said:
NTAD said:

I know right? HB is also a anime listing site but they also track anime influenced shows. Must be some kind of new advanced tech that they have...
OR MAYBE!!!.....They're just trying too hard.

Influenced or not, they aren't anime.

Nov 2010
sasukefan38 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Of course. I'm amazed that that this site doesn't have it or something similar.
It has the better feature, top 10 favorite characters.

SleepyBear said:
On one hand the modern design is nice but on the other hand I'd trade that for MAL's faster loading times. Also reviews seem sparse (in content and helpfulness), less useful features, etc. Some issues will be resolved as more people use it but... for now not having manga is a dealbreaker for me.

Also when I click anime titles and cover art nothing happens? Had to click and drag stuff into my browser tabs.

Like 45,000 users in total.

Mar 2008
SleepyBear said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Is that total registered, the number of forum users, or the active member count?
Jun 24, 2014 8:11 PM

Nov 2010
Ckan said:
SleepyBear said:
Is that total registered, the number of forum users, or the active member count?
Total registered(though the site creator sorta encourages joke accounts), the forum users is way lower, I think they said the active member count once but who knows what it is now. It might be low as whenever they talk about it they only talk about how many hours are recorded each day by users, etc.
Jun 24, 2014 8:12 PM

Feb 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Ckan said:
Total registered, the forum users is way lower, I think they said the active member count once but who knows what it is now. It might be low as whenever they talk about it they only talk about how many hours are recorded each day by users, etc.
And just think how many of us went there, looked at it, left, then went back to see if it got any better and surprise...it didn't.

I'll take usefulness and efficiency over flashiness. And even still, it isn't that pretty.
Jun 24, 2014 8:17 PM

Feb 2014
You know something's wrong when they've sticky'ed "Submit your Hummingbird error page art".
Jun 24, 2014 8:33 PM

Nov 2012
NTAD said:
And just think how many of us went there, looked at it, left, then went back to see if it got any better and surprise...it didn't.

I just made an account and played around a bit...not charmed. Will keep an eye on it but likely won't commit unless some major improvements are made.

IntroverTurtle said:
SleepyBear said:

Thanks. I take back what I said about the design by the way, though it's more modern I still find MAL to be cleaner. (Maybe it's just that I'm used to MAL?) And I still can't click any anime links on HB...what the heck, is there something I'm not understanding? I mean MAL has its problems but not quite to that degree usually. Functionality and intuitive use are part of design...
Jun 24, 2014 8:34 PM

Nov 2010
SleepyBear said:
Thanks. I take back what I said about the design by the way, though it's more modern I still find MAL to be cleaner. (Maybe it's just that I'm used to MAL?) And I still can't click any anime links on HB...what the heck. Functionality and intuitive use are part of design...
What do you mean you can't click on any links? On what page?
Jun 24, 2014 8:38 PM

Jun 2012
I would use Hummingbird more frequently but I don't like the list feature at all.

I am starting to like this cover feature though http://hummingbird.me/users/Bully hot.
Jun 24, 2014 8:39 PM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
SleepyBear said:
Thanks. I take back what I said about the design by the way, though it's more modern I still find MAL to be cleaner. (Maybe it's just that I'm used to MAL?) And I still can't click any anime links on HB...what the heck. Functionality and intuitive use are part of design...

Under Explore>Explore Anime

Attempting to click any of the anime listed (the picture or the title) just does nothing. At least, I tried clicking on FMAB which is supposed to take me here but it's been 5 minutes and nothing's happened. Same situation everywhere on the Explore Anime page

Either the load times are insanely slow or something else is up, dunno.

EDIT: Checkboxes on the left work fine though.
Jun 24, 2014 8:42 PM

Feb 2014
SleepyBear said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Attempting to click any of the anime listed (the picture or the title) just does nothing. At least, I tried clicking on FMAB which is supposed to take me here but it's been 5 minutes and nothing's happened. Same situation everywhere on the Explore Anime page

I can see it perfectly. Maybe there's something wrong on your end.
Jun 24, 2014 8:43 PM

Nov 2010
SleepyBear said:
Explore>Explore Anime

I clicked on the picture and the words underneath and both sent me straight to the page.

Maybe it is the load time, though it should show that it's loading in your URL bar if it was indeed going to the page.
Jun 24, 2014 8:44 PM

Nov 2012
Nerveri said:
SleepyBear said:

I can see it perfectly. Maybe there's something wrong on your end.

Hmm probably. I'll try again tomorrow maybe, I'm probably being a bit too harsh.

And while I did take back what I said about the design I guess I'll clarify, as it isn't "bad" per se, I just prefer something a little cleaner.
Jun 24, 2014 8:45 PM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
I clicked on the picture and the words underneath and both sent me straight to the page.

Maybe it is the load time, though it should show that it's loading in your URL bar if it was indeed going to the page.

Nothing's showing up that indicates that anything is loading. I'll just try again a bit later maybe.
Jun 24, 2014 8:46 PM

Nov 2010
SleepyBear said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Nothing's showing up that indicates that anything is loading. I'll just try again a bit later maybe.
Maybe a script or adblock is doing it.
Jun 24, 2014 8:50 PM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
SleepyBear said:

Maybe a script or adblock is doing it.

Oh good idea! I did just try again without changing anything and it worked, albeit kinda slowly (about 3 minutes of load time, no indicator of it loading while that was going on).

Anyway, I might check back again on HB down the road to see how it grows, has potential.
Jun 24, 2014 8:57 PM

Sep 2012
It's shit unless I'm banned from MAL then it's cool until I'm unbanned and it's shit again.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jun 25, 2014 6:18 PM

Aug 2012
NTAD said:
sasukefan38 said:

OR MAYBE!!!.....They're just trying too hard.

Influenced or not, they aren't anime.

So adding in cool features is "trying too hard"? LMAO! And Whats wrong with trying hard? For example if the MAL staff weren't so lazy this site would not be so outdated. Or maybe there security wouldn't suck. Also even if its not what this site considers to be "anime", the fact that its Influenced should warrant its addition to the site. Its funny how a site that's not even finished yet gets this simple concept. Hell even crunchyroll gets the idea.
Jun 25, 2014 6:21 PM
Jul 2018
^How exactly is this site outdated? Seriously, because I don't know. As well as the security. I don't understand. Halp.
Jun 25, 2014 8:39 PM

Aug 2010
I can't stand the forum layout. I do like their recommendation feature, thought.
Jun 25, 2014 8:44 PM

Oct 2013
kallah said:
I can't stand the forum layout. I do like their recommendation feature, thought.

This is exactly why I have no intention of posting there. I like the MAL layout better site-wise and the forums over there are just so...chaotic. I don't like that topics aren't divided into various sub-forums and everything is lumped into one.
Jun 25, 2014 8:56 PM

Apr 2008
It's shit, and they banned me from the forums for no reason, without telling me. Their database sucks and they very rarely update it. And the only reason to use it is the recommendations which are complete ass, they only give me stuff no one has ever watched that probably don't even have raws.
Jul 6, 2014 5:04 AM

Apr 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Ckan said:
Total registered(though the site creator sorta encourages joke accounts), the forum users is way lower, I think they said the active member count once but who knows what it is now. It might be low as whenever they talk about it they only talk about how many hours are recorded each day by users, etc.

Hummingbird is progressing well http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/hummingbird.me
Their 1st source of traffic is MAL then Google

8.3% of MAL visitors visit HB
Feel free to add me to your friend list!

Jul 6, 2014 5:07 AM

Mar 2014
Literally never heard of it. Until now. So now it isn't quite literal anymore.

what do
Jul 6, 2014 5:14 AM
Nov 2008
Miyu_ said:
IntroverTurtle said:

probs to check how shit it is
Jul 6, 2014 5:20 AM

Mar 2014
Heredity said:
Miyu_ said:

back for one day and I already hear about an enticing, scintillating alternative to this cesspit

talk dirty to me my squire, lest I break thy heart in twain again
Jul 6, 2014 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
Heredity said:
Miyu_ said:

Quick! Remove all traces! They are going to celebrate for having views!!
Jul 7, 2014 4:12 PM

Aug 2007
Do they have manga import yet?
Jul 7, 2014 4:16 PM

Nov 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
Do they have manga import yet?
Yes
Pages (21) « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 »

More topics from this board

» Gender difference in US intermarriage

Auron_ - 5 hours ago

15 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 minute ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

730 by Crawlie »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » do you believe that scientific theory are just a theory and scientific consensus are just opinions?

deg - May 3

46 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 hour ago

» How do you travel daily

ST63LTH - May 3

32 by Auron_ »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you believe in prophecies?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

3 by Auron_ »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.