Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you think you'll switch any time in the future?
Jun 23, 2013 5:55 AM
Apr 2011
So there's a new website that is somewhat the same as MAL and to be honest, it looks pretty good. I've heard some people were switching to Hummingbird and completely dropping off MAL. Any thoughts on this? Do you think you'll switch some time in the future?

P.S. I'm not picking sides here. I'm just curious on people's thoughts on MAL and Hummingbird.

Mod Edit:
Please do not advertise in this thread. For more information see here:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=619877&show=420#msg24708597
LunaSep 6, 2013 9:00 AM
Pages (21) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 2013 6:01 AM
Jun 2013
The design looks lovely, but i like it here.
Jun 23, 2013 6:02 AM
Apr 2011
I've been using MAL for three years now so I also don't think I'll be switching anytime soon. But it would be nice if some changes were made to MAL. If we were talking about design of the website, I have to say Hummingbird as the upper hand.
Jun 23, 2013 6:03 AM

Aug 2012
Last night I watched this Mystery Restaurant show or something..
where the boss of the restraunt would hook up hidden cameras to see what kind of mischief his employees were up to.
One of the episodes had a manager advertising her own future restraunt to all of the costumers inside the restraunt she was working in.
I found this relevant somehow..or maybe I'm just a really boring attentionwhore..
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Jun 23, 2013 6:05 AM

Nov 2008
I've already got an account on there, but I doubt I'll switch unless MAL goes under.

Been on this website so long I've grown fond of it.
HigurashiJun 23, 2013 6:12 AM
Jun 23, 2013 6:05 AM
Apr 2011
Ghostony said:
where the boss of the restraunt would hook up hidden cameras to see what kind of mischief his employees were up to.
One of the episodes had a manager advertising her own future restraunt to all of the costumers inside the restraunt she was working in.
I found this relevant somehow..or maybe I'm just a really boring attentionwhore..

In a way that is relevant. It's kind of like I'm advertising for Hummingbird. But believe me, I'm not. I'm too fond of MAL. :)
SCNFanJun 23, 2013 6:13 AM
Jun 23, 2013 6:28 AM
Jun 2012
maybe. no harm using 2 sites at the same time. more competition is good for users like us, at the same time it also keep these sites on their toes if they don't want the traffic to drop.
Jun 23, 2013 6:33 AM

Jun 2013
I think I'll use them both for the time being, I just registered for hummingbird but I'm really content with its appearance.
Jun 23, 2013 6:37 AM
Apr 2011
drinkbeer said:
maybe. no harm using 2 sites at the same time. more competition is good for users like us, at the same time it also keep these sites on their toes if they don't want the traffic to drop.

I agree. I mean if the number of users drop because of competition, then eventually they'd have to do something to lure the users back in.
Jun 23, 2013 6:39 AM

Mar 2013
I won't switch, but I create an account everywhere I go so maybe I'll do one.
Jun 23, 2013 6:40 AM

Feb 2008
There aren't really any features on Hummingbird that I really need that MAL doesn't have. So I'm not really that interested.

Although if the competition means that more effort will be put into fixing MAL's existing problems, that can only be a good thing.
Jun 23, 2013 6:51 AM

Aug 2012
I'd only switch if there was a way to import MAL lists, and if it was better in every other important aspect
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Jun 23, 2013 6:55 AM

Jun 2013
Goryo said:
I'd only switch if there was a way to import MAL lists.

There is, actually.
Jun 23, 2013 6:58 AM
Apr 2011
MahouMagica said:
Goryo said:

There is, actually.

How does that work?
Jun 23, 2013 7:03 AM

Jun 2013
SCNFan said:
MahouMagica said:
Goryo said:

There is, actually.

How does that work?

Ah, you go to your account settings. Then you'll find this underneath the page: http://i.imgur.com/y5MwIkc.png?1?8918
Jun 23, 2013 7:09 AM
Apr 2011
MahouMagica said:
SCNFan said:
MahouMagica said:
Goryo said:

There is, actually.

How does that work?

Ah, you go to your account settings. Then you'll find this underneath the page: http://i.imgur.com/y5MwIkc.png?1?8918

Just like that? Just type in your MAL account username? So basically you can use anyone's username from MAL and import their lists on Hummingbird. Then again, it's just a list.
Jun 23, 2013 7:10 AM
Apr 2011
Auxoran said:
Oh wow you can gain karma on Hummingbird OH GOD YES *makes some awful sheltering suburban mom memes for delicious karma*

CYA MAL

I hope I'm not the cause for your departure. ;)
Jun 23, 2013 7:11 AM

Jun 2013
SCNFan said:
MahouMagica said:
SCNFan said:
MahouMagica said:
Goryo said:

There is, actually.

How does that work?

Just like that? Just type in your MAL account username? So basically you can use anyone's username from MAL and import their lists on Hummingbird. Then again, it's just a list.

Well, you need to click some other stuff afterwards, but yeah. In basic.
Jun 23, 2013 8:26 AM

Nov 2008
Auxoran said:
if they add more features and add a manga/vn lists etc. I might switch to it.

If they add a visual novel list, then I'd likely switch to it.

I never noticed they don't have a manga list, though. That's just another reason MAL is better.
HigurashiJun 23, 2013 8:46 AM
Jun 23, 2013 8:49 AM

Nov 2008
Auxoran said:
Higurashi said:
Auxoran said:
if they add more features and add a manga/vn lists etc. I might switch to it.

If they add a visual novel list, then I'd likely switch to it.

I never noticed they don't have a manga list, though. That's just another reason MAL is better.

"Manga is the next type of media we will be adding to the site. Light novels and visual novels will come later on.

There are currently no plans to have clubs, but beta is beta so anything can change."

I just found this on forums

I might actually end up switching then. I play my fair share of visual novels, so that website would actually be more useful to me if they added that.

Though no clubs doesn't sound fun. Eh oh well, guess I'll see where I end up later.
Jun 23, 2013 8:53 AM

Nov 2010
Ghostony said:
That's probably exactly what it is. And this isn't the first time we've had a thread about this site, someone else said similar things.

drinkbeer said:
You would think that wouldn't you. But there isn't only two, there's like 5 sites that do what MAL does and none of them are as popular.

Auxoran said:
LolitaDecay said:
There aren't really any features on Hummingbird that I really need that MAL doesn't have. So I'm not really that interested.

Although if the competition means that more effort will be put into fixing MAL's existing problems, that can only be a good thing.

The great thing about that site is that people actually talk about anime in froums instead of talking about random retarded things so if they add more features and add a manga/vn lists etc. I might switch to it.
People talk in this forum too, I don't know what you're talking about. And the reason they are more on topic though is because it's still a small site, when it gets larger it will change. And even now, there's barely 5 posts on a thread a day.
And they are already planning on manga and possibly VNs.

OT: I joined the site like a week ago. I use it for the forum and for a backup of my list. It's not what to go into if you want everything right now, it's still the beta so there are bugs everywhere, they don't have manga and tons of other info for anime, VAs, staff, etc. Though all those things they say are coming. I still think MAL is better and faster so I'll be sticking with it unless it goes down the toilet.
Jun 23, 2013 8:57 AM

Oct 2007
"You are currently in the waiting list.
There are 6049 people ahead of you and 0 people after you."

ಠ___ಠ
Jun 23, 2013 8:58 AM

Mar 2013
Kuromii said:

ಠ___ಠ

So much this.
Jun 23, 2013 8:58 AM

Nov 2010
Chakaara said:
Kuromii said:

ಠ___ಠ

So much this.
ANICHARTNET
Jun 23, 2013 8:59 AM

Nov 2008
Kuromii said:

ಠ___ಠ

lmao. Sorry, but this post made me lol.

I just used a promo code.
Jun 23, 2013 9:00 AM

Dec 2012
It looks pretty nice, but I really hope that matching feature isn't as bad as Hulu and Netflix. "Because you watch Monster, you might also like: Naruto", fuck you. As far as switching to the forums over there, the people here are rude, mean as shit, and it's rife with trolls, but it grows on you, I don't think I'll ever leave. Once I hit about 150 posts on a site I usually don't switch over to a new one that's similar, besides, too many familiar faces here for me to leave.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Jun 23, 2013 9:03 AM
May 2013
Always nice to have a back up site and maybe then MAL will pick up the slack and actually do some of the things that are listed on the suggestion page
Jun 23, 2013 9:05 AM

Nov 2010
Auxoran said:
I mean more people actually discuss instead of saying that sucks,this sucks and fight etc.Most likely it's because there are less people not because people are actually looking to discuss stuff.To tell the truth that's just my first impression I haven't fully checked the site yet.
Then more people don't discuss there, MAL has a lot of people discussing, there's just usually shit posting going on in the same thread too.

BlindSamurai said:
Always nice to have a back up site and maybe then MAL will pick up the slack and actually do some of the things that are listed on the suggestion page
Anime-planet, ANN, anidb.net, Herro, are all other anime listing sites and MAL still hasn't done anything, though Herro's probably newer than Hummingbird.
Jun 23, 2013 9:06 AM

Oct 2007
IntroverTurtle said:
Chakaara said:
Kuromii said:

ಠ___ಠ

So much this.
ANICHARTNET

"You have already been invited to the beta."

Derp, looks like I already did this ages ago and forgot.

Edit: to further demonstrate my stupidity, I can't figure out how to import my MAL list to Hummingbird.
Spades-DeuceJun 23, 2013 9:19 AM
Jun 23, 2013 9:19 AM

Mar 2013
CNile said:
It looks pretty nice, but I really hope that matching feature isn't as bad as Hulu and Netflix.

Jun 23, 2013 9:24 AM

Apr 2012
Auxoran said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Auxoran said:
I mean more people actually discuss instead of saying that sucks,this sucks and fight etc.Most likely it's because there are less people not because people are actually looking to discuss stuff.To tell the truth that's just my first impression I haven't fully checked the site yet.
Then more people don't discuss there, MAL has a lot of people discussing, there's just usually shit posting going on in the same thread too.

Yeah that's actually true.I should have said like there are less shittalking there because of fewer active members.Sorry eh?*says with a Canadian accent*

That means it's an inactive community, there's not less shit talking, there's nobody that shit talks.

As for me, no, I won't change from MAL, I might quit the MAL Forums, but I don't need to track my VNs, it's not like I can FORGET what translated VNs I played. LOL, actually, the same goes for anime. To be honest, if they have a way to recommend VNs after the stuff you watched I'd use only that part of their site to check out VNs .

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jun 23, 2013 9:37 AM

Nov 2010
Auxoran said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Auxoran said:

Yeah that's actually true.I should have said like there are less shittalking there because of fewer active members.Sorry eh?*says with a Canadian accent*
Yes well fewer members in general. They still haven't gone live yet, that should be fun.
Jun 23, 2013 9:44 AM

Sep 2011
it looks ok but i dont really see any reason for a switch since there really isnt anything more to that site that isnt on this.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 23, 2013 9:57 AM

Apr 2012
Auxoran said:
Immahnoob said:
Auxoran said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Auxoran said:

That means it's an inactive community, there's not less shit talking, there's nobody that shit talks.

Well it's still in early to mid beta stage(I think) so I wouldn't say that it has an inactive community just a small one compared to MAL

Same thing to me, I also need an invitation, which I hope is automatic.

Otherwise I won't give any of my emails to any type of shitty site like this.

Autocrat said:
Jun 23, 2013 10:00 AM

Apr 2012
"Any thoughts on Hummingbird?"
Well, it has some good ideas but a horrible and just awful execution.
The design tries too hard to be appealing and annoys me with its "let's make everything as big as possible" approach. Besides that the design is very confusing (ie "hidden" forum with no clear structure), broken display of forms and not well-thought-out menus and their access.
It's like some amatuers thought it'd be good to throw some ideas together and that it will work out.
But it doesn't.

I prefer dperolio's design and work on an alternative for MAL
(http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=597427&show=0)
Previews of his latest design:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8741/animangosvis.png
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7670/animangos.png
Looks much clearer and user friendly than Hummingbird's design, but has no working preview out and if that will ever happen is another question.
Jun 23, 2013 10:01 AM

Jun 2012
I saw a thread about this a couple months ago...
Short answer: no.
nantuko said:
"Any thoughts on Hummingbird?"
Well, it has some good ideas but a horrible and just awful execution.
The design tries too hard to be appealing and annoys me with its "let's make everything as big as possible" approach. Besides that the design is very confusing (ie "hidden" forum with no clear structure), broken display of forms and not well-thought-out menus and their access.
It's like some amatuers thought it'd be good to throw some ideas together and that it will work out.
But it doesn't.

I prefer dperolio's design and work on an alternative for MAL
(http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=597427&show=0)
Previews of his latest design:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8741/animangosvis.png
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7670/animangos.png
Looks much clearer and user friendly than Hummingbird's design, but has no working preview out and if that will ever happen is another question.

I saw this back in april, but whenever I try to go on the site now it says
"Hacked by D4rkR4v3nz And ManSyk3z

uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),810(cayltwoh)"

Also, not very fond of the "follower" approach with friends.
OchimushaJun 23, 2013 10:08 AM
Jun 23, 2013 10:11 AM

Apr 2012
You have that on MAL too, that follower thing.

Autocrat said:
Jun 23, 2013 10:13 AM

Jun 2012
Immahnoob said:
You have that on MAL too, that follower thing.

You mean with fanclubs and the like?

But I think here, they're completely throwing out the aspect of friends.
Jun 23, 2013 10:23 AM

Apr 2012
Yeah, there's no use adding people to friends...

Unless the guy has his comments blocked and only accepts friend comments. Which I find retarded.

Autocrat said:
Jun 23, 2013 10:28 AM
Jul 2012
SCNFan said:
MahouMagica said:
SCNFan said:
MahouMagica said:
Goryo said:

There is, actually.

How does that work?

Woah, didn't know you can do that. Where is the import at on the other site? I not leaving this site just yet. But I may do it if I get banned on it. Need some user example on the different website if it interest me.
Jun 23, 2013 10:33 AM

Nov 2010
GoldenBRS said:
SCNFan said:
MahouMagica said:
SCNFan said:
MahouMagica said:
Goryo said:

There is, actually.

How does that work?

Woah, didn't know you can do that. Where is the import at on the other site? I not leaving this site just yet. But I may do it if I get banned on it. Need some user example on the different website if it interest me.
It's explained and showed a little further up the quote.
Jun 23, 2013 10:44 AM
Jul 2012
Chakaara said:
Kuromii said:

ಠ___ಠ

So much this.

Damn it, I send the invite on my email anyway. Still waiting for it...
Jun 23, 2013 10:47 AM

Nov 2010
GoldenBRS said:
Chakaara said:
Kuromii said:

ಠ___ಠ

So much this.

ANICHARTNET it's a coupon code that will get you in right away.
Jun 23, 2013 10:51 AM
Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
GoldenBRS said:
Chakaara said:
Kuromii said:

ಠ___ಠ

So much this.

ANICHARTNET it's a coupon code that will get you in right away.

Oh. I found the code on facebook. Thanks.
Jun 23, 2013 11:23 AM

Apr 2012
I took a better look at the site.

It sucks balls, incredibly salty donkey balls.

Autocrat said:
Jun 23, 2013 11:24 AM

Mar 2013
Immahnoob said:

I was going to make the same comment.
I changed my mind, I won't switch.
Jun 23, 2013 11:29 AM

Aug 2011
MAL has made me more cynical about...everything.

I WILL NEVER LEAVE.
Jun 23, 2013 11:29 AM

Nov 2008
Chakaara said:
Immahnoob said:

I was going to make the same comment.
I changed my mind, I won't switch.

For now it doesn't interest me either, but since it's a beta only time will tell which website I end up liking more.
Jun 23, 2013 11:33 AM

Apr 2012
To be honest, if they ever add a VN list here I'm sure nobody will ever think of that site ever again.

Recommendations work here too, maybe even better, as they're user chosen (upvoted by users).

There's nothing else you miss here, if they remake the site like dperolio idea it would be 1st place anime site (like it isn't already).

The Karma thing is also disturbing, upvote/downvote forum posts thing too if they implement it. Internet casuals call everybody that disagrees with them "trolls", they'll downvote you and - Karma you because you like green more than red.

Autocrat said:
Jun 23, 2013 11:36 AM

Apr 2012
Saw the front page. Looks like facebook for anime. No thanks

Pages (21) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is your favorite Masaaki Yuasa anime?

Sorachin - Yesterday

17 by Lucifrost »»
9 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Apr 17

14 by Zayvex »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

15 by Zayvex »»
24 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 6 hours ago

22 by Zayvex »»
34 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 11 hours ago

16 by DesuMaiden »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.