Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 10, 2009 9:25 AM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was a good watch. Very soothing atmosphere, it nice simple and relaxing introduction.

The atmosphere had a bit of a retro feel for me, like a quality series you used to watch as a child.

With this nice amount of episodes we will get to see Erin develops from an innocent sweet child into young woman, drawn into a war.Can't wait to see how it develops.

Jan 10, 2009 6:23 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I really hope Erin can mature as this series progress.

Good introduction chapter to a novel...

Peaceful things will soon end (hopefully)

Apparently, Erin will eventually reach 19 years old...according to the author's own article on her impression of the anime. And of course, things get more and more complicated....
wakka9caJan 10, 2009 6:34 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 11, 2009 7:04 AM

Aug 2007
Ah, I already hoped that this was some kind of prologue... It looks promising to me, and I like the animal designs. Also the colours are very vivid. It's a shame that there aren't subbers yet. I thought that Soyon was her sister at first glance, lol. Looking forward to the next episodes.

Edit: Oh, never mind about the subs. Looks like Static Subs does it.
DragonsWhipJan 11, 2009 8:01 AM
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jan 13, 2009 1:27 PM

Jan 2008
The setting reminded me a bit of a cross between Mushishi and your typical fantasy-RPG, which is a good thing I guess. I thought this was supposed to be a children's show, but it clearly isn't.

This could turn out to be a fairly interesting series, but 50 episodes seems like a bit much.
Help me, ERINNNNNN!!
Jan 17, 2009 5:45 AM

May 2008
A very good watch indeed! I was hoping for this kind of pace and atmosphere… The trailer made me worry a bit that the design might be a bit childish to my taste, but it wasn't the case at all – it all looks lovely, and it's kind of refreshing to see such a "simple" style. Erin and her mum are quite endearing, and I liked the animal designs as well. And the OP animation is one of the most adorable things I've seen in a while! :)

Can't wait for the next ep. Considering how much I loved Seirei no Moribito, Mushishi and Miyazaki's Nausicaa, and how Kemono no Souja Erin seems to be somewhere in between those three, this should be right up my alley.

Edited to add: I had no idea that this was going to be such a long series and that Erin was supposed to grow so much… Sounds good to me, especially since this is a Uehashi Nahoko novel we're talking about. I'm looking forward to the character (and story) development.
bystrouskaJan 17, 2009 5:54 AM
Jan 18, 2009 1:54 PM

Nov 2007
Where can I download this? Static Subs doesn't even have anything on their site about it, and I have yet to find it on Tokyo Toshokan.
Jan 18, 2009 5:09 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Shadow_Strider said:
Where can I download this? Static Subs doesn't even have anything on their site about it, and I have yet to find it on Tokyo Toshokan.

you'll have to watch raw or download the chinese subs for lower filesize (rmbv)
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 18, 2009 11:41 PM

May 2008
Why are there even approval rating for Static Subs when they haven't subbed a single ep yet?
Jan 24, 2009 8:16 AM

Dec 2007
Puts me to sleep real quick. Not sure if I'm going to stick with this one all the way through. Very uninteresting.
Jan 24, 2009 9:46 AM

Feb 2008
this one was pretty good. the animation looks pretty neat too. it probably will get more interesting too.
Jan 24, 2009 11:47 AM

Aug 2008
This is a pretty bad first episode. The narrator is the same voice as the mother, causing weird transitions between narration and dialogue. The animation is pretty bad, character design is lackluster (with the exception of Erin and her mom). Backgrounds, landscape, and establishing shots were horribly rendered; looking like something from 80's American cartoons.

Also, was it just me, or did the village feel exactly the same as Ashitaka's village from Princess Mononoke? From the watch tower and layout to the whole look, this felt the same as Princess Mononoke. Overall, this feels very much like I.G. ripped of Studio Ghibli with wild abandon. I was very, very surprised.

Beyond that, the war stuff feels like it could be interesting. This is just not what I expected from Production I.G.
Jan 24, 2009 12:06 PM

Jul 2008
I can't help but totally agree with everything noteDhero just said and on a personal note, for me this was painful.... very very painful.
Jan 24, 2009 1:04 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
be patient, this is only the first episode of FIFTY. This is not a 26 episodes anime.

Although if this kind of stuff continues for 20 episodes, I'll be disappointed.

I'll go watch episode 3 right now....
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Jan 24, 2009 1:10 PM

Aug 2008
I know, but my gripes weren't story related, they were presentaion related. This isn't nearly the quality I expect from I.G. Especially not in a first episode.
Jan 24, 2009 2:09 PM

Jan 2008
noteDhero said:
Overall, this feels very much like I.G. ripped of Studio Ghibli with wild abandon.

Hmm...it's interesting that you point that out. Now that you mention it, it does seem a bit similar to some of the settings in Mononoke, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it a rip-off.
Jan 24, 2009 2:19 PM

Mar 2008
rarri said:
Very soothing atmosphere, it nice simple and relaxing introduction.

The atmosphere had a bit of a retro feel for me, like a quality series you used to watch as a child.

With this nice amount of episodes we will get to see Erin develops from an innocent sweet child into young woman, drawn into a war.Can't wait to see how it develops.

Same, but i hope it develops quicker. i can see why people are criticising it though, but i'm guna bear with it - especially at the mention of war and her growing up hence things getting complex. soon!!! please soon!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2009 2:34 PM

Aug 2008
This is classic Ghibli. You can even see this in Nausicaa. Main character who is close with nature and understands beasts just as well as humans...to the point that they consider them the same. Some type of war with two opposing sides, and one party around trying to manipulate and reap the benefits of war. Insert love story (though I don't think this show will have one, that's yet to be seen). Devastatingly beautifly battles with the protagonist coming in at the end, using his/her obstinacy, understanding, and love for all creatures to bring everything to a more peaceful end than could have been reached without him/her.

Granted, I am making a hell of a lot of assumptions, this first episode just felt so much like the beginnings of Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa that I couldn't really ignore it. Even the character design is similar. I'm definitely open to the show, because at the end of the day, I.G. ripping off Ghibli isn't totally bad, just unoriginal. I'm interested to see what twists I.G. will infuse to the story, and especially the art.
Jan 24, 2009 5:28 PM

Sep 2007
Hmm... not bad! Probably one of the better winter shows, at any rate.

Although - the idea of Lizard-Riders strikes me as very silly. For some reason, people riding anything other than horses always annoys me.

Edit:
@ noteDhero - I see where you're coming from with the Ghibli imitations, but it's not really production I.G's fault for that. They're just adapting the novel.
naikouJan 24, 2009 5:54 PM
Jan 24, 2009 7:37 PM

Jun 2007
I'm undecided right now... the first episode wasn't so impressive for me, but the calmness of it was appealing.

I was a little put off by some of the scenery as well, it seemed really sloppy. Series can leave things abstract to a point and have it still look good, but I really didn't like how it was done in this one..... though it may get better since this is just the first episode.
Jan 25, 2009 7:10 PM

Dec 2007
I'm gonna have to agree with noteDhero
The narrator being the mother does cause a little confusion especially when she is on the same screen. First, she is talking to her daughter, but then she is narrating (all in the same screen in which she is in it).

I'll have to watch a few more episodes to decide whether or not to drop or keep watching
Jan 25, 2009 7:34 PM

Oct 2007
LOL, all i want to say is "noteDhero, you have said everything."

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jan 25, 2009 10:57 PM
Nov 2007
Very nice and shows A very good start.
Jan 25, 2009 11:32 PM

Jan 2007
An ok first episode. Was hoping for a better start though. But I still have high expectations for this since its only the frist of 50 episodes and that it's written by the same person who did Seirei no Moribito.
Jan 26, 2009 1:51 AM
Jul 2008
Hmm I can see alot of potential in this depending on how they draw it out.

I'm hoping it won't be to dilute but still down to earth in a sense, always fun to watch a new world like Erin's being drawn out in an anime (and 50 eps is alot to do that). But this particular author has had Seirei no Moribito to show for them so I'm willing to give this a good run
Jan 26, 2009 7:35 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Nice first episode, quite relaxing.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 26, 2009 12:55 PM
May 2008
I really liked Seirei no Moribito, it was probably one of the best shows that was released that year. I'm trying to keep my high expectations out of the equation, and let Erin develope with a couple more episodes. Hopefully, this will turn out to be just as good.
Jan 26, 2009 2:35 PM

Feb 2008
It was alright. Nothing special.
I want a baby Touda.
Jan 26, 2009 3:55 PM

Jun 2008
I love it. I like relaxing anime ^_^
Jan 26, 2009 5:51 PM

Mar 2008
Wasn't a bad first episode...the background scenery was a bit....odd looking at times. Though it is probably something that won't be as noticeable later on. Will be interesting where the story goes though, since it's 50 episodes.
Jan 27, 2009 2:55 AM

Oct 2008
Great intro episode. Setting the scene, introducing the characters, preparing us for (hopefully) a great series.
The art was really unique I thought, yet still good. Also the OP and ED are both amazing imo - perfectly suited to the show, and both great to listen to.
I can't wait for SS to release ep 2.
Jan 27, 2009 10:17 AM

Jul 2008
It was okay.. I don't usually watch animes where the main character is that young and that fantasy doesn't got me interested in it :/ But I'll watch definitely more episodes, 'cause it was cute !

Jan 27, 2009 8:33 PM

Apr 2007
Got a WMT feel going on here, and I'm liking it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2009 3:16 PM
Dec 2007
noteDhero said:
This is classic Ghibli. You can even see this in Nausicaa. Main character who is close with nature and understands beasts just as well as humans...to the point that they consider them the same. Some type of war with two opposing sides, and one party around trying to manipulate and reap the benefits of war. Insert love story (though I don't think this show will have one, that's yet to be seen). Devastatingly beautifly battles with the protagonist coming in at the end, using his/her obstinacy, understanding, and love for all creatures to bring everything to a more peaceful end than could have been reached without him/her.

Granted, I am making a hell of a lot of assumptions, this first episode just felt so much like the beginnings of Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa that I couldn't really ignore it. Even the character design is similar. I'm definitely open to the show, because at the end of the day, I.G. ripping off Ghibli isn't totally bad, just unoriginal. I'm interested to see what twists I.G. will infuse to the story, and especially the art.

Agree on the big picture. Still, a show with a Miyazaki-like atmosphere (very much like Nausicaä for the characters and Mononoke for the setting), written by Naoko Ueashi (author of Seirei no Moribito, her style is easily recognizable in this first episode) created by Prod IG and broadcasted on the NHK (I saw the first 10 seconds and I immediately knew it, it's just a pure NHK series), even if unoriginal, can't be really bad, can't it? I didn't want to watch this, but the first episode convinced me, I'm on it for the 50 episodes now.

By the way, I read a BIG spoiler unfortunately on the net (curse blogs ;)) and I can tell you that the story will have its share of developments and twists.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 28, 2009 6:41 PM

Jul 2007
Well, even if some people say it sucked, I'll continue watching it.
I didn't find it a master piece but usually, first episodes are introductions, you can't expect something breath taking from it, unless it's a shonen or action anime. Plus, I love this kind of relaxing and slow paced anime, with all these kinds of action anime full of super powers and whatnots, it's always good to see something like this or Natsume Yuujinshou for a chance.

Besides, it's the first episode. You can't judge a series by it's first episode, especially if it's a 50 episode one. Let's wait and see if it is worthy of watching or not.
Jan 28, 2009 7:26 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
I know, but my gripes weren't story related, they were presentaion related. This isn't nearly the quality I expect from I.G. Especially not in a first episode.

It looks like their not using computer sketches but actual drawings. Gives you that old classic anime feel. Personally, I don't mind as long as it's not fast drawn like Tetsuwan Birdy Decode.
Feb 6, 2009 1:35 PM

Nov 2006
Was surprised at some of the words left untranslated by Static-subs, the main two being Ani-ue at the beginning and Oba-san. Very jarring.

I enjoyed this episode; it was not what I was expecting at all, but the lively characters are enjoyable to watch.
Feb 7, 2009 1:05 PM

Feb 2009
love the op, ed & insert song! perfect!
Feb 7, 2009 2:59 PM

Apr 2007
I'm not satified with this...
Since the story comes from the same author as Serei no Moribito, I expect the story to be good (and it does look ok until now), but I don't like the way the anime is made.

noteDhero said:
This is a pretty bad first episode. The narrator is the same voice as the mother, causing weird transitions between narration and dialogue. The animation is pretty bad, character design is lackluster (with the exception of Erin and her mom). Backgrounds, landscape, and establishing shots were horribly rendered; looking like something from 80's American cartoons.

Agree.
What bothered me the most were those cheap drawn men that where attacked by the Touda right at the beginning.

Also, I wouldn't compare this to WMT. The simple looking character design, yes maybe, but the backgrounds a big NO!
WMT anime had wonderfully drawn backgrounds that looked like beautiful oil paintings. This anime's backgrounds look loveless and poorly rendered (I doubt they are drawn by hand too...)

The music also seems not fitting...

Feb 15, 2009 6:59 PM

Jan 2008
Hmm, quite nice. Better than what I was expecting.
Mar 23, 2009 10:04 PM
Sep 2008
I love the OP.

I also like the fact that it seems more aimed at children because those sort of shows have easier to understand dialogue for me (who is still not wonderful at Japanese).

I found Seirei no Moribito boring, so I was prejudiced when I found out this was by the same creator. However, I couldn't help but want to watch it anyway because the plot reminds me of the sort of things I fantasized about when I was in elementary school.

Here's hoping Kemono no Souja Erin isn't another one of those shows that's promising in the beginning and then becomes disappointing half-way through.
Apr 9, 2009 5:32 AM

May 2008
To be honest, I didn't find it to be the most beautiful and entertaining animation either.
A bit undetailed. And it reminded me a bit of Bible animation they used to show when I was a little kid, with the Arid Tribal feel.

Not exactly my cup of tea. But it's not bad.
Btw, the green haired mist people remind me exactly of Rydia and her village in Final Fantasy IV. It was in fact called the "Myst" village in Final Fantasy IV, and it was filled with green haired, monster summoners.

While in the show, the only difference seem to be that they're tamers more than summoners. I'd honestly be shocked if this show wasn't directly influenced by Final Fantasy IV.

In fact, the whole feel so far has reminded me a bit of Damcyan and Kaipo.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 28, 2009 3:01 PM

Aug 2008
It was a little too calm for me and I didn't love the melancholy of the mother. I thought this show would be a waste of time, but having sat through the whole episode I AM interested in seeing the next one.
Oct 5, 2009 2:23 AM

Jun 2009
Nice introduction episode, somehow slow paced and relaxing. I like it. ^^
Nov 2, 2009 7:23 AM

Oct 2008
It was an ok episode, i hope its getting beter sinds this anime is also from the same novel writer from Moribito so im looking forward to the next episode. BTW the OP is beautifull.
Aug 13, 2011 5:48 AM

Sep 2008
Not a bad first episode, although I did think the animation could've been better. There were some aspects in which is was really lacking, but... overall I liked it. At first glance, I thought it might be some kiddish anime, but there seems to be sort of "mature" atmosphere cast over the story.

I did get confused at the transitioning between the mother's speaking and the narrator's, as noteDhero pointed out. This definitely also does have the feel of a Studio Ghibli-type production - that's what it reminded me of at first.

Nevertheless, it did manage to catch my interest. I'm at least curious as to why Erin's mother seems to have some doubts about her job.

bystrouska said:
I had no idea that this was going to be such a long series and that Erin was supposed to grow so much… Sounds good to me, especially since this is a Uehashi Nahoko novel we're talking about. I'm looking forward to the character (and story) development.

I also didn't know this... Well! More to look forward to, then. It'll be nice to have a character actually grow up over the course of the series, as opposed to having them supposedly suspended in time (like characters in some other reputable series...).
May 21, 2012 6:46 PM

May 2010
Ohhh Chagum's distant relative? I mean she has green-eyes...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 24, 2012 2:55 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Quite don't know what to think of it yet, but a quite decent episode I think.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Feb 23, 2013 4:30 AM

Apr 2012
I really liked this episode: cool setting, killing monsters, this kind of simplistic yet cute art that works well with the green-toned colors to create a nice atmosphere, interesting characters... I'm enthralled.
EratiKFeb 24, 2013 11:42 AM
Feb 24, 2013 8:52 AM

Jul 2011
Watercolor plus CG... ugh, even the characters are unappealing. What gives?

Plus, that awful narration.

Disappointing. I guess my expectations were too high. :/

I'm not getting into the story at all. Sure, the story is interesting, but the execution... meh.

I sincerely hope this gets better.
Apr 10, 2013 5:53 AM

Jan 2008
Interesting episode, or rather interesting world. The episode itself was extremely slow and the narration slightly annoying.
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 40 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 17, 2009

39 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.