Anime & Manga News

Kaze Tachinu, Momo e no Tegami, and 3rd Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Movie Have Been Submitted for Oscar Best Animated Feature Film Nominations

by tsubasalover
Nov 6, 2013 6:50 AM | 82 Comments
According to Anime! Anime!, there are 19 Animated Feature Films Award nominations submitted for next year's Oscar. 3 out of the 19 nominations are Japanese Animated Films: Kaze Tachinu, Momo e no Tegami, and Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari. The official site of the Academy Awards will reveal the full and official nomination list on January 16, 2014 and will hold the ceremony to reveal the winners on March 2, 2014.

Other Submissions of Animated Feature Films Award:
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Epic
Ernest and Celestine
The Fake
Free Birds
Frozen
Khumba
The Legend of Sarila
Monster University
O Apostolo
Planes
Rio: 2096 A Story of Love and Fury
The Smurfs 2
Turbo

Source: Anime!Anime!, Variety

20 of 82 Comments Recent Comments

Progeusz said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
ChronosXIII said:
Wow, Madoka?

I don't know mang. Don't think 'Murrica is quite ready to accept "kiddie cartoons" can be as dark, gloom, and solemn as Madoka is.


I think people are missing the point which is about selecting the most deserving animated film. I know this thought probably hasn't occurred to some, but maybe...you know just maybe Madoka Magica 3 just isn't the best film being considered. Does this make any sense to anyone besides myself or am I expecting too much from MAL again?
And whyare you assuming it doesn't deserve to be nominated? You haven't even seen the movie, you know nothing about it. However, people who watched it consider it good enough to get nominated for Oscar. You are the one missing the point.
You aren't in the position to say things like "or am I expecting too much from MAL again?". You're the one who's attacking various critics who watched the movie and deemed it worthy to get nominated for an Oscar. Meanwhile, you have nothing but the delusions you projected in your hateful crusade against imaginary fanboys.


Literally all I'm saying is that there's a possibility that it's just not the best film being considered. Then again maybe it is, but the point is that people are just assuming that it should win and that if it doesn't it must be because the academy is unwilling to recognize it as the best film out of bias.

Too be fair maybe I wasn't entirely clear that I was talking about it being selected to win the award, not it's shortlisting for nomination which is an entirely different story.

Progeusz said:

Considering unparalleled quality of previous Madoka titles.


See that's a fanboy style comment? First of all what unparalleled quality are you referring too exactly? Second what makes it an objectively unparalleled quality? Might want to try that one again from the top buddy.

daedroth4 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
ToG25thBaam said:
Haven't seen any of the movies yet, but Madoka is so overrated here.

Edit: Is it really that good, if you take out the surprise factor of cute magical girl turning into dark bloody story?


I think it still holds up as a solid but never really got why some people are as fanatical and obnoxious about it as they are with trying to hold it above other people and anime. Its pretty laughable. Other than its probably the first time in a while or ever that a lot of people saw a story take a really dark turn out of the blue I just can't see why people are vaguely psychotic about it. In any case Kaze Tinchu strikes me as the only serious contender in this list.


I find this same pattern common between a lot of the critics of PMMM. I think too much focus is centered on how the anime makes a sudden dark turn, and the show ends up being labeled as overrated because everyone is just caught up in that one aspect. But that isn't all there is to PMMM, and there is a lot of depth in the show that just goes unappreciated.

Anyways, all I have is third-hand information about everyone's reactions to the movie, but even though it's unlikely it would be awesome if Madoka managed to be recognized with a nomination here.


Yeah I actually agree. For me the dark turn actually had nothing to do with what eventually led me to like it but rather the whole morality yarn that was woven throughout the story and the sacrifices it asked of it's characters in order for them to achieve their goals. It's very rare I see shows that start off looking like moe styled anime that actually ask as much of and challenged it's casts values and general faith as much as Madoka Magica did let alone a magical girl show. Usually that's the sort of thing I expect to see from military style drama, mecha and or space opera shows and that fact that Madoka Magica handled it pretty well led me to have largely positive feelings about it, and this is coming from someone that almost as a rule does not mix with SHAFT's general output at all. Again though this just made it a really good show to me and one of the better ones of 2012, not the life-changing epochal series it is for others, but to some extent I understand why it was the case because for a lot of people that's probably the first time they've ever seen an anime anything like that before on TV considering the state TV anime had been in for several years around the time that Madoka Magica came out.

Nov 12, 2013 11:04 PM by PeacingOut

How crazy would it be if madoka won?

hah jk that'll never happen.

Nov 12, 2013 7:01 AM by Infatuate

Monsters University will get it since the Academy loves Pixar minus Cars.

Nov 8, 2013 11:28 PM by soulless4now

Kaioshin_Sama said:
ToG25thBaam said:
Haven't seen any of the movies yet, but Madoka is so overrated here.

Edit: Is it really that good, if you take out the surprise factor of cute magical girl turning into dark bloody story?


I think it still holds up as a solid but never really got why some people are as fanatical and obnoxious about it as they are with trying to hold it above other people and anime. Its pretty laughable. Other than its probably the first time in a while or ever that a lot of people saw a story take a really dark turn out of the blue I just can't see why people are vaguely psychotic about it. In any case Kaze Tinchu strikes me as the only serious contender in this list.


I find this same pattern common between a lot of the critics of PMMM. I think too much focus is centered on how the anime makes a sudden dark turn, and the show ends up being labeled as overrated because everyone is just caught up in that one aspect. But that isn't all there is to PMMM, and there is a lot of depth in the show that just goes unappreciated.

Anyways, all I have is third-hand information about everyone's reactions to the movie, but even though it's unlikely it would be awesome if Madoka managed to be recognized with a nomination here.

Nov 8, 2013 10:34 PM by daedroth4

Fai said:
You must have missed the whole debacle then? The internet pretty much exploded after screenings about it with people split into two groups - one for some reason calling it teh masterpiece(then again some people call EVA a masterpiece), the others calling out the bullshit retcons and plotholes in it.
Yeah, that was festival of idiots judging the movie based on few lines of spoilers they read. I have no idea why you think their mindless hating has any worth. It's in Western fandom's nature to bitch about things whenever chance arises.
Now that more people actually watched the movie, the reception is hugely positive.

Sorry but I think you're twisting the facts too much. You give too much attention to anything negative and disregard everything positive.
Considering unparalleled quality of previous Madoka titles and mostly positive reception of third one I know about, I'll stick to believing it's good until proven otherwise (possible when BDs come out) because it makes much more sense than listening to bitter haters complaining about supposed plot holes when they only know few facts instead of whole thing.

Nov 8, 2013 2:27 PM by Progeusz

symbv said:
Fai said:

I am sorry but no way in hell will ANYONE ever convince me that
Well, a lot of comments I read found the development quite convincing though. Sure opinions are divided but the simple fact is if there are many who do not find it convincing there are many many who find it persuasive.

Fai said:

The original idea Urobuchi planned to use as movie ending was WAY BETTER and actually fit the show.
Not sure what original idea you are talking about, but the one I heard is not something too different except that it brings the series to a definite end instead of leaving space for the story to continue.

Fai said:
But oh why Urobutchi would care - he won't be writing the sequels so he most likely went 'fuck it", went back to working on Psycho Pass and allowed his hacks of co-writters to rape the storyline.
Unless you have a source that he indeed said he won't be writing the sequels, otherwise I just count it as yet another "because I said so" sentence you wrote.

Fai said:

Also going by japan reactions its less of "OMG YAY SO AWESOME" and more of "THE FUCK just happened? the fuck did I watch?"
All of the above are there. In fact I counted more "OMG YAY SO AWESOME" than otherwise. And don't forget quite many of the "WTF did I watch" can also be a way to express awesomeness.

Fai said:

Japanese audience was mostly shocked - people left theaters in eerie silence.
Not what I read. I heard clapping and ovations were common too.


Butcher already talked about wanting to "bring in new blood" if franchise were to continue and that it should outlive its creator. Seems quite indicative.

The whole movie-ending debacle was covered in recent urobutcher's interview:


I do not have many problems with the first half of the movie...Its the big "twist" ending that feels completely and utterly forced.

Also yeah, it IS divisive. But so far I have yet to see actual arguments from those who liked it on WHY they liked it apart from
And there's far more arguments on why ending simply does not work with the rest of franchise.

Bassically Urobutcher pulled a blunder on the level of Bioware's Mass Effect 3 - the movie is an eyecandy, that while being different form the previous parts of franchise is pleasant to the eyes. ANd then the shitpile of second half of it hits and it does not even FIT what was going before in the series.




The only thing that could redeem this is if in inevitable sequel(hello? its shaft's cashcow, it will happen)


Ooguro_Ryuuya said:


@Fai : Link or it didn't happen...


You must have missed the whole debacle then? The internet pretty much exploded after screenings about it with people split into two groups - one for some reason calling it teh masterpiece(then again some people call EVA a masterpiece), the others calling out the bullshit retcons and plotholes in it.

And yeah, it happened.



Anyway, this is not the place to discuss this bs and I still thing that nothing in Madomovie 3 deserves any awards or recognition.

Nov 8, 2013 1:46 PM by Fai

Oh wow, stuff like Turbo got nominated for nomination? Really?

The list in general this year seems pretty weak to me. I think all 3 Japanese anime films have a pretty even shot at an Oscar nomination, although chances are none of them might win.

People say Madoka is relatively unheard of in the West, but so are some of these films. In fact I'd say the only films that are heard of by many people on that list are Smurfs 2, Despicable Me 2, Meatballs 2, Monsters University and Frozen. But will Westerners be more familiar with Madoka, or any one of these films I listed? My money's probably going to be on one of those titles winning, rather than Madoka.

Another common argument is that some of Madoka's themes may be too mature or unsuitable for children. Even Western films aren't immune to this (Toy Story 3, although irrelevant to this list, was still well-received despite some of its dark themes).

I'm not saying I'm against Madoka winning. In fact, I'd be overjoyed if it did. It's just that despite the weak list this year, the likelihood of it winning is low due to Western bias, and the fact that not that many people are into Madoka Magica itself outside the anime fandom.

On a side note, I haven't watched the latest Miyazaki film, but was it as solid as some of his earlier works, as people claim?

Nov 8, 2013 11:39 AM by Martin

The probability of Madoka winning is about zero, but it would be funny if it did.

Nov 8, 2013 10:50 AM by Josh

Fai said:

I am sorry but no way in hell will ANYONE ever convince me that
Well, a lot of comments I read found the development quite convincing though. Sure opinions are divided but the simple fact is if there are many who do not find it convincing there are many many who find it persuasive.

Fai said:

The original idea Urobuchi planned to use as movie ending was WAY BETTER and actually fit the show.
Not sure what original idea you are talking about, but the one I heard is not something too different except that it brings the series to a definite end instead of leaving space for the story to continue.

Fai said:
But oh why Urobutchi would care - he won't be writing the sequels so he most likely went 'fuck it", went back to working on Psycho Pass and allowed his hacks of co-writters to rape the storyline.
Unless you have a source that he indeed said he won't be writing the sequels, otherwise I just count it as yet another "because I said so" sentence you wrote.

Fai said:

Also going by japan reactions its less of "OMG YAY SO AWESOME" and more of "THE FUCK just happened? the fuck did I watch?"
All of the above are there. In fact I counted more "OMG YAY SO AWESOME" than otherwise. And don't forget quite many of the "WTF did I watch" can also be a way to express awesomeness.

Fai said:

Japanese audience was mostly shocked - people left theaters in eerie silence.
Not what I read. I heard clapping and ovations were common too.

Nov 8, 2013 9:46 AM by symbv

Fai said:


Japanese audience was mostly shocked - people left theaters in eerie silence.

Now you're talking bullshit.



Oh well, who cares. It will be one of the best selling late-nigth tv anime movies of all time, and one of the best selling anime movies on BD either way.

Nov 8, 2013 9:42 AM by rederoin

Fai said:
symbv said:
Fai said:
I don't know what audiences you frequent but most of rational madoka fanbase considers the third movie to be at the level of cheap hentai doujins and outright refuse to acknowledge its canon status(considering it has enough plotholes in its ideas to actually GO AGAINST the canon
).
Rational fanbase? How do you define this? Just by you saying so? And from what source do you learn that those "rational" fanbase considers it to be the level of cheap hentai doujin?? I don't even know where you got that "hentai" comment. As for plotholes, I am not sure where you got that analysis (I presume you have not watched it?), but from those who have actually watched it (not those who spread nasty rumors just to troll, which may be actually where you found your "rational" fanbase source), and there are plenty of them in Japan (I bet you did not read feedback from Japan, where >99% of the people who have viewed the movie came from?), the plots are closely knitted back to the original series, and characters developed but still acted within character. I did not even see comments in Japanese forums that said it went against the canon - disappointment at things not turning the way they wish for, yes, but not recognizing its canon status, nyah.



I am sorry but no way in hell will ANYONE ever convince me that


@Fai : Link or it didn't happen...

Nov 8, 2013 9:38 AM by Ooguro_Ryuuya

symbv said:
Fai said:
I don't know what audiences you frequent but most of rational madoka fanbase considers the third movie to be at the level of cheap hentai doujins and outright refuse to acknowledge its canon status(considering it has enough plotholes in its ideas to actually GO AGAINST the canon
).
Rational fanbase? How do you define this? Just by you saying so? And from what source do you learn that those "rational" fanbase considers it to be the level of cheap hentai doujin?? I don't even know where you got that "hentai" comment. As for plotholes, I am not sure where you got that analysis (I presume you have not watched it?), but from those who have actually watched it (not those who spread nasty rumors just to troll, which may be actually where you found your "rational" fanbase source), and there are plenty of them in Japan (I bet you did not read feedback from Japan, where >99% of the people who have viewed the movie came from?), the plots are closely knitted back to the original series, and characters developed but still acted within character. I did not even see comments in Japanese forums that said it went against the canon - disappointment at things not turning the way they wish for, yes, but not recognizing its canon status, nyah.



I am sorry but no way in hell will ANYONE ever convince me that


Progeusz said:
It should be obvious to anyone reading this board even once a week that symbv is most likely talking about Japanese audience.


Japanese audience was mostly shocked - people left theaters in eerie silence.

Nov 8, 2013 9:19 AM by Fai

Short Animated Film Nomination Submission, including Japanese one:
Feral
Get a Horse!
Gloria Victoria
Hollow Land
The Missing Scarf
Mr. Hublot
Nighty-nine (Kyuujuukyuu) (Part of Short Peace) by Shuuhei Morida
Requiem for Romance
Room on the Broom
Subconscious Password

Nov 8, 2013 8:44 AM by tsubasalover

Fai said:
I don't know what audiences you frequent but most of rational madoka fanbase considers the third movie to be at the level of cheap hentai doujins and outright refuse to acknowledge its canon status(considering it has enough plotholes in its ideas to actually GO AGAINST the canon
).
Rational fanbase? How do you define this? Just by you saying so? And from what source do you learn that those "rational" fanbase considers it to be the level of cheap hentai doujin?? I don't even know where you got that "hentai" comment. As for plotholes, I am not sure where you got that analysis (I presume you have not watched it?), but from those who have actually watched it (not those who spread nasty rumors just to troll, which may be actually where you found your "rational" fanbase source), and there are plenty of them in Japan (I bet you did not read feedback from Japan, where >99% of the people who have viewed the movie came from?), the plots are closely knitted back to the original series, and characters developed but still acted within character. I did not even see comments in Japanese forums that said it went against the canon - disappointment at things not turning the way they wish for, yes, but not recognizing its canon status, nyah.

Nov 8, 2013 8:09 AM by symbv

Well good luck to them ^_^

Nov 8, 2013 6:24 AM by Tengai

The ugly truth is that Madoka is eligible as any other contender, according to the rules of this film festival. Being nominated or awarded is another issue, which I fail to see how is connected to the choices of a Japanese audience.

I saw something about a jury being mentioned, but weren't the awards due to anonymous voting of the members of the Academy? Could someone clear this out?

Nov 8, 2013 6:23 AM by zellami

Progeusz said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
ChronosXIII said:
Wow, Madoka?

I don't know mang. Don't think 'Murrica is quite ready to accept "kiddie cartoons" can be as dark, gloom, and solemn as Madoka is.


I think people are missing the point which is about selecting the most deserving animated film. I know this thought probably hasn't occurred to some, but maybe...you know just maybe Madoka Magica 3 just isn't the best film being considered. Does this make any sense to anyone besides myself or am I expecting too much from MAL again?
And whyare you assuming it doesn't deserve to be nominated? You haven't even seen the movie, you know nothing about it. However, people who watched it consider it good enough to get nominated for Oscar. You are the one missing the point.
You aren't in the position to say things like "or am I expecting too much from MAL again?". You're the one who's attacking various critics who watched the movie and deemed it worthy to get nominated for an Oscar. Meanwhile, you have nothing but the delusions you projected in your hateful crusade against imaginary fanboys.


Wow, nice word you put there.
And I have to agree : " Don't judge 'em if you don't watch 'em", all of those smartass trollers who give review before watching... gave me a cancer.
But, how much you think it deserve a nomination, all of decision goes back to the...
ona said:
but it's up to the members of the Academy to be the judge of that
speaking of ugly truth.

Nov 8, 2013 5:59 AM by Ooguro_Ryuuya

It should be obvious to anyone reading this board even once a week that symbv is most likely talking about Japanese audience.

Actually, I should be the one asking you this as while met with negative opinions, it's much better to say they were mixed with significant advantage of positive ones. Truth is, most of negative opinions come from people who haven't watched the movie but base their views just on spoilers they heard/read and should be disregarded because of this reason. AFAIK Japanese reaction was mostly positive and even if some parts of the movie weren't received with open hands, there were much more gladly welcomed.

Nov 8, 2013 3:58 AM by Progeusz

symbv said:
Fai said:
Madomovie does not really belong there. If it had anything to do with tv series - sure, but considering its basically a fanfic, the creators must be really high on something.
The thing is that the movie is not considered a fanfic by most.


I don't know what audiences you frequent but most of rational madoka fanbase considers the third movie to be at the level of cheap hentai doujins and outright refuse to acknowledge its canon status(considering it has enough plotholes in its ideas to actually GO AGAINST the canon
).

If there's anything Madomovie 3 is good for, its to foreshadow that whatever comes after this in the franchise, will actually be penned by M.Night Shaymalan himself.

Nov 8, 2013 3:07 AM by Fai

Kaioshin_Sama said:
ChronosXIII said:
Wow, Madoka?

I don't know mang. Don't think 'Murrica is quite ready to accept "kiddie cartoons" can be as dark, gloom, and solemn as Madoka is.


I think people are missing the point which is about selecting the most deserving animated film. I know this thought probably hasn't occurred to some, but maybe...you know just maybe Madoka Magica 3 just isn't the best film being considered. Does this make any sense to anyone besides myself or am I expecting too much from MAL again?
And whyare you assuming it doesn't deserve to be nominated? You haven't even seen the movie, you know nothing about it. However, people who watched it consider it good enough to get nominated for Oscar. You are the one missing the point.
You aren't in the position to say things like "or am I expecting too much from MAL again?". You're the one who's attacking various critics who watched the movie and deemed it worthy to get nominated for an Oscar. Meanwhile, you have nothing but the delusions you projected in your hateful crusade against imaginary fanboys.

Nov 8, 2013 2:19 AM by Progeusz