Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 14, 2022 9:00 AM
Apr 2019
Provide your reasoning for anime that you believe is suited for a left wing member and another for a right winger.

I believe a left-winger would enjoy Code-Geass because of its portrayal of issues such as social classes, racism, and absolute monarchy. Shangri-La is one of the few anime series that depicts LGBT characters in a non-comedic way; it features numerous homosexual and transgender main characters, and has some left wing environmentalism (e.g. carbon tax and multinational market control).

A right-winger may enjoy Kino no Tabi and Psycho-Pass for their criticism of democracy, gun control, and art censorship. And Naruto for Konoha being a monarchical country that many good characters believe is worth defending, justifying minority discrimination against Uchihas, and sexism in which the writer 'puts women in their place' by making them useless satellite characters.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 14, 2022 9:02 AM
Apr 2019
As a left-wing anime there is also the anime "86" which denounces racism
Aug 14, 2022 9:04 AM

Jan 2009
Darling in the FranXX is pro-life with all the baby making and anti-abortion it has in the end so right wingers will love it i guess

Legend of the Galacitc Heroes is more about corrupt democracy vs benevolent authoritarian/dictatorship and so far the imperialism is winning so its right wing too
Aug 14, 2022 9:06 AM

May 2016
Most anime fall under LibCenter, leaning a bit Left.

Freedom from authority is a common theme in many anime, and Japan is all about group effort and the collective good. There are stories with single idealized heroes, but there are a lot more that involve groups of heroes (or just groups).

To demonstrate, I've helpfully plotted my favorites on the compass:

ZelkiiroAug 14, 2022 9:19 AM

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 14, 2022 9:11 AM

Jul 2015
No, we don't want political polarization of audience in anime.
Western bullshit cartoons, who thinks that representation and diversity is a substitute for good writing already did that and it's cringe.

You guys seen this High Guardian Spice? Yes, it is as bad as people tell.

Aug 14, 2022 9:14 AM
Apr 2019
Piromysl said:
Western bullshit cartoons, who thinks that representation and diversity is a substitute for good writing already did that and it's cringe.

Yet a lot of anime are political it's the reality

Dec 2018
Ikuhara’s stuff is pretty good for left-wing audiences. They’re all critiques of social issues within Japan from a progressive perspective.
Apr 2019
There is also Attack on Titan which criticizes nationalism (left-wing)
Aug 14, 2022 9:15 AM

Jun 2016
Shield hero might be appealing to a libertarian or any pro free market person because the main guy decides to make big it in the arena of the free market after being ostracized.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 14, 2022 9:16 AM

Mar 2021
Japan is a pretty liberal country so most of their stuff is already left wing

by the way, the average right winger doesn't support racism, or discrimination, or sexism. It's only extremists who are like that, and they exist on both sides

Jan 2009
KurumiTokisaki_ said:

the manga ending is definitely not left wing at least

Sep 2010
Please shut up and go back to Twitter you are not welcome here.
Aug 14, 2022 9:17 AM

Aug 2022
I recommend everything from Kazuyoshi Yaginuma (director of MMO Junkie, In the Evening of a Moonlit Night, and several episodes of Pokemon: Generations) for Far-Right audience.
vasipi4946Aug 14, 2022 9:21 AM
Mao said:
If you have to shit, shit! If you have to fart, fart!
Aug 14, 2022 9:17 AM
Apr 2019
deg said:
KurumiTokisaki_ said:

In the ending
Aug 14, 2022 9:18 AM

Jan 2009
KurumiTokisaki_ said:
deg said:

In the ending

degAug 14, 2022 9:21 AM
Aug 14, 2022 9:19 AM

Jul 2015
KurumiTokisaki_ said:
Piromysl said:

My point is, that you should not look in too deep and trying to look for political message (which in most cases there is none), but enjoy a good story. There might be some subtle commentary, but it should absolutely not be in the face and take precedence over main story.
For example, In Beastards you could interject any social group as herbivores and carnivores. It was all up to your interpretation. The problem starts when certain group of people will be adamant, that THIS represents THAT.

Aug 14, 2022 9:20 AM
Aug 14, 2022 9:20 AM

Feb 2011
Pretty much what @ateks said. This right vs left thing is mostly Western thing anyway.
Aug 14, 2022 9:21 AM
Apr 2019
As left-wing anime there is also One Piece (LGBT, anti-racism etc)
Aug 14, 2022 9:25 AM

Mar 2021

I hate how people ignore this kind of thing
Aug 14, 2022 9:25 AM

Oct 2011
Maybe there's a stack interest somewhere which lists all the right wing and left wing anime if people really want to focus on that? If not maybe you should get on top of doing this.
Aug 14, 2022 9:30 AM

Aug 2022
vasipi4946 said:
I recommend everything from Kazuyoshi Yaginuma (director of MMO Junkie, In the Evening of a Moonlit Night, and several episodes of Pokemon: Generations) for Far-Right audience.
https://twitter.com/_ZakuAbumi_/status/1525567030073729025
Mao said:
Aug 14, 2022 9:34 AM

Jun 2017
Democrats might like Garden of Words, since the teacher gets fired over accusations without substance and they just blindly take the other persons word for it. They'd probably hate yugioh because they'd be too distracted by the fact Kaiba doesn't pay enough taxes and can afford all that expensive equipment he uses, like a plane shaped like Blue Eyes. They'd probably hate a lot of anime because they aren't "Diverse" or "Woke" enough.

Republicans would probably enjoy a lot more anime, even ones without any sort of right leaning message because they can enjoy media and not complain about everything with it.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Aug 14, 2022 9:38 AM
Apr 2019
Hajime no Ippo is right-wing (nationalist, promotes manhood etc)
Aug 14, 2022 9:39 AM

May 2016
TheBlockernator said:
Republicans would probably enjoy a lot more anime, even ones without any sort of right leaning message because they can enjoy media and not complain about everything with it.

You mean the same people who threw a shit-fit about, of all things, Sesame Street? And the Green M&M not wearing high heels or whatever?

Oh, and never forget: Mr. Rogers is an evil, evil man.

Aug 14, 2022 9:45 AM

Aug 2022
TheBlockernator said:
Democrats might like Garden of Words, since the teacher gets fired over accusations without substance and they just blindly take the other persons word for it. They'd probably hate yugioh because they'd be too distracted by the fact Kaiba doesn't pay enough taxes and can afford all that expensive equipment he uses, like a plane shaped like Blue Eyes. They'd probably hate a lot of anime because they aren't "Diverse" or "Woke" enough.

Japan has had a Liberal party in charge since the 1950's except for two elections.

It's a Liberal One Party State.
Mao said:
Aug 14, 2022 9:47 AM
Jul 2018
KurumiTokisaki_ said:
Provide your reasoning for anime that you believe is suited for a left wing member and another for a right winger.

I haven't thought that much about whether any of the anime i'd seen is 100% liberal or 100% conservative enough to provide two series for this question, but I have had conversations before about how political One Piece is. The pirates and Revolutionary Army being anti-government factions clearly parallels the left's fight for freedom and the Navy being an authoritarian force are the right.
Aug 14, 2022 9:50 AM

Jun 2017
Zelkiiro said:
TheBlockernator said:

You mean the same people who threw a shit-fit about, of all things, Sesame Street? And the Green M&M not wearing high heels or whatever?

Oh, and never forget: Mr. Rogers is an evil, evil man.

That doesn't represent most of us though, in fact a lot of us republicans made fun of those people.

Woke cancel culture people are supported by their own party.

Plus, they can actually effect things. The right complaining about things doesn't change the show, the left can actually get people fired and things changed that aren't woke enough, so it's a bigger problem.
Aug 14, 2022 9:52 AM

Aug 2022
I also recommend Angel Cop for Far-Right audience.

It's about how the Jews have controlled Japan and wanna kill all Aryans.

Watch only the Sub.

Fun Fact: the torrents were literally DDoSed by Israel for 2 weeks

Why would Israel wanna keep an anime about Jews controlling Japan and killing all Aryans away from the public?
vasipi4946Aug 14, 2022 9:56 AM
Mao said:
Aug 14, 2022 9:54 AM

Jun 2017
vasipi4946 said:
TheBlockernator said:

Japan has had a Liberal party in charge since the 1950's except for two elections.

Ok? It still doesn't really affect their media though. There's not a lot of far left woke garbage coming out like their is in the US.
Aug 14, 2022 9:57 AM

Mar 2018
Eh this is kind of hard because I believe all media presents both ideals to an extent. Instead of that I’ll say death note does a good job at putting both ideals and beliefs to the forefront in possibly one of the best ways ever. Definitely ideals and beliefs you could consider both left wing and right wing but in the end it’s all a grey area •3• in that none is good or bad. But it makes sense when you center a show around justice and the many different interpretations of that.
Aug 14, 2022 10:00 AM

May 2016
TheBlockernator said:
vasipi4946 said:

Ok? It still doesn't really affect their media though. There's not a lot of far left woke garbage coming out like their is in the US.

Aggressive reminder that Hayao Miyazaki has been making anime since the 1970s.

Aug 14, 2022 10:05 AM

Dec 2015
Youjo Senki is the ultimate auth-centrist anime
Aug 14, 2022 10:06 AM

Aug 2022
SkyfallStar said:
It's funny because it was made by a Communist.
Mao said:
Aug 14, 2022 10:21 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
it makes me cringe when people say "well anime is already political"

sure, but we've currently ascribed the word "political" as implying as vitriolic as politics are in the west, japanese politics are just not like that to even remotely the same degree

the conservative party has been in power in japan for almost all of its post war history; imagine that happening in the US where the party in power switches every or every other election
Aug 14, 2022 10:24 AM

Apr 2020
liking an anime has nothing to do with someones political views
Aug 14, 2022 10:24 AM

Apr 2012
vasipi4946 said:
SkyfallStar said:
It's funny because it was made by a Communist.

Lol, the main message of the first season is literally that you must not humiliate the losing side and that you must separate the nation and political power. Of course, the "authoritarian" position.

Monochrosanity said:
Ikuhara’s stuff is pretty good for left-wing audiences. They’re all critiques of social issues within Japan from a progressive perspective.

From the Western Left, of course. But his works say nothing about politics per se, only idealize and defend LGBTQ people.
Aug 14, 2022 10:25 AM

Jun 2017
Zelkiiro said:
TheBlockernator said:

I've seen plenty of his work and the only one that seems overtly political was Spirited Away and it's enviromentalism undertones.
Aug 14, 2022 10:26 AM
Aug 2022
KurumiTokisaki_ said:
Piromysl said:

They may be about politics, but none of them are out right saying to vote for a political party
Aug 14, 2022 10:29 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I can play on both wings, but i prefer to play through the middle as a striker..

Aug 14, 2022 10:41 AM

Apr 2015

What the fuck does this have to do with the rest of the thread?

I guess the point is that a show having gay characters doesn't necessarily mean it's left-wing, and I would agree, but that's not because gay people are sometimes racist.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 14, 2022 10:47 AM

Apr 2012
CatSoul said:

What the fuck does this have to do with the rest of the thread?

I guess the point is that a show having gay characters doesn't necessarily mean it's left-wing, and I would agree, but that's not because gay people are sometimes racist.

Well, a prime example is Kakegurui. This show has a lot of gay characters (how many is a matter of debate) while openly celebrating libertarian ideals. At the same time, the flashy left Dororo has a fairly traditional image of the world.
Aug 14, 2022 11:11 AM
Mar 2018
TheBlockernator said:
Zelkiiro said:

I've seen plenty of his work and the only one that seems overtly political was Spirited Away and it's enviromentalism undertones.

Stop embarrassing yourself. You're projecting your own political views onto anime.
Aug 14, 2022 11:13 AM

Mar 2015
Ijiranaide Nagatoro-san is definitely a must watch for any feminist. It shows an ideal society where women rule the world while men are their slaves.
Aug 14, 2022 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
I don't even know how to classify anime into these political affiliations, and even then there are not things that everyone who identifies in a certain area agrees on. I speak with near certainty that not all right-wingers "justify minority discrimination" or are sexist, and I could probably say the same for left-wingers. Bottom line is, I agree with @Jamison2210's points.
Aug 14, 2022 11:25 AM
Feb 2022
Mirai said:
Ijiranaide Nagatoro-san is definitely a must watch for any feminist. It shows an ideal society where women rule the world while men are their slaves.

Lol :D I'm really curious if you made feminists look bad intentionally.
Aug 14, 2022 11:28 AM
Feb 2022
For the people who don't have much time (to waste with bs):

This whole thread is literally a bunch of kids who call their feelings opinions and project them onto chinese cartoon.

Japanese people don't give a fuqq about politics, they wan't to see some guy sniffing his stepsisters panties in a dungeon.
Aug 14, 2022 11:33 AM
Apr 2019
Gintama at first was a left-wing, anti-nationalist anime but in the end the anime became nationalist
Aug 14, 2022 11:35 AM

Apr 2019
Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata was a member of the Japanese communist party. This shows in many of his movies, foremost in Heisei Tanuki Gassen Ponpoko (1994), Hotaru no Haka (1988) and Jarinko Chie (1981). Takahata wasn't shy to criticize capitalism, jingoism and social injustice directly. I.e. his focus is more on social politics as compared to the green and ecological messages of his colleague Hayao Miyazaki.

Other political directors from the left include Satoshi Kon (Paranoia Agent, Tokyo Godfathers), Mamouro Oshii (Angel's Egg, Dallos) and Kunihiku Ikuhara (Mawaru Penguin Drum, Revolutionary Girl Utena) and of course Osamu Dezaki (Ashita no Joe). Joe was a student revolt icon in the late 1960s in Japan, same league as Che Guevara.

On the right side some shows come to mind which are thinly veiled praise of authoritarianism and militaristic ideologies: LotGH and Crest/Banner of the Stars.The latter even adds racial supremacy ideas.
inimAug 14, 2022 12:10 PM

Aug 14, 2022 11:36 AM

Jul 2021
i'll go with centre :))))))))))))))

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Will we ever get a VA as good as Hirano Aya?

Catalano - 5 hours ago

3 by Deserada »»
15 minutes ago

» When and how did you first learn what anime was? (That anime was different from a regular western cartoon)

TheBlockernator - 10 hours ago

15 by SuperAdventure »»
21 minutes ago

» What was an anime that sucked compared to their original source?

zkl - Yesterday

41 by AcD4c »»
22 minutes ago

» What anime would you like to see another season of?

doctor - Yesterday

35 by AcD4c »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you enjoy video-game elements in fantasy/isekai anime?

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

25 by WatchTillTandava »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.