Forum Settings
Forums

Is there anything you'd add/subtract from the mandatory school curriculum?

New
Jan 14, 2020 4:27 PM

May 2019
Of your country, of course.

Personally, I believe there should be a course on logical reasoning, as it's just a practical skill to be able to classify the kinds of arguments you see others give. Teach the various deductive, inductive and abductive argument forms along with common logical fallacies.

Only problem I see with including it is whether the information would actually stick. :P

Also, make a mandatory civics class. That should be a no brainer.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2020 4:33 PM

Jun 2019
Freshell said:
Personally, I believe there should be a course on logical reasoning, as it's just a practical skill to be able to classify the kinds of arguments you see others give. Teach the various deductive, inductive and abductive argument forms along with common logical fallacies.

Dawg.. we do not need anymore of:
A: "You are strawmanning"
B: "You are strawmanning a strawman"
C: "You both are strawmanning the strawman of a strawman"

OT: I vote for lessons on how to do your taxes.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Jan 14, 2020 4:36 PM

May 2019
Bakchos said:
Freshell said:

Maybe if people learned how to steelman an opponent's argument, we wouldn't have so many accusations of strawmanning, Bakky.
Jan 14, 2020 4:36 PM

Jul 2012
Make gym/physical education completely optional, the fact that it was a required course all the way up to high school is such a huge waste of time and money.
Jan 14, 2020 4:40 PM

May 2013
Add basic skills.

Like if the country demands we do our taxes they should teach us how to do them.

How to budget. This is the most valuable bit of math skills Runescape taught me and not the school system. Because fuck Geometry.

Nutrition. Like how to cook and make nutritious meals. Although schools are served prison food essentially so I dunno how much I trust my government to know what food is.

Just some things off the top of my head.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jan 14, 2020 4:43 PM

Jun 2019
Freshell said:
Bakchos said:

Maybe if people learned how to steelman an opponent's argument, we wouldn't have so many accusations of strawmanning, Bakky.

I see your point but it does not make sense to me.

I do not see the appeal of engaging someone so rationally tbh. If everything is so logical, there goes all the fun. I am not even a debate person but I prefer looking at funny spontaneous debates than at the ones structured logically on purpose.

Jan 14, 2020 4:48 PM

Nov 2013
Add financial literacy, budgeting and just not being an idiot with your money.

Of course, on purpose, the majority of the population needs to be ignorant here so that they can be exploited. They are being trained to be a loyal employee, ideally stupid with money and a slave to useless commodity. That student loan debt is proof enough.

I can see you

Jan 14, 2020 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
GamerDLM said:
Make gym/physical education completely optional, the fact that it was a required course all the way up to high school is such a huge waste of time and money.

They should make Gym/PE harder. Exercising very important some people don't do it at all. Need since you are basically setting down 5 hours straight.
Jan 14, 2020 4:56 PM

May 2019
@Bakchos
You're right. Being logical is for the gay and small of pp. But then again, I do want America to be gay and small of pp.
Jokes aside, I do see your point. People who are forced to learn those things will probably only ever use it to own people online as opposed to using it to self reflect. I guess it's something someone should gain an interest in on their own.

@Alpha_Tranny
@MasterGlyth
Finance sounds very practical. Think we have a widespread agreement on this, though the powers that be may be against us.
Jan 14, 2020 4:59 PM

Mar 2018
I say we add more history lessons!

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Jan 14, 2020 5:04 PM
Jan 2020
Adding ethics and basic law knowledge like the constitution
inactive
Jan 14, 2020 5:11 PM

Jul 2012
Whiffs said:
GamerDLM said:

They should make Gym/PE harder. Exercising very important some people don't do it at all. Need since you are basically setting down 5 hours straight.

The stationary angle doesn't work unless you make it required for every semester which I would say is worse. You could also just have extended break periods between classes or have 1 longer break that's not lunch (or just make the school day shorter).
I also don't think people should be forced to do it, if people want to exercise then gym should be an optional course but it has no value as a mandatory course.
GamerDLMJan 14, 2020 5:18 PM
Jan 14, 2020 5:29 PM

Feb 2018
oh normally those ethics and logic subjects are in the university.

but as for the school they should add more advanced chemistry. Making simple substances such as something that sleeps girls for at least four hours and makes them lighter without remembering anything that happened the day before, could help many children in the future.
Jan 14, 2020 6:11 PM
Feb 2017
Teach them "How to not act like a degenerate hipster 101".
Jan 14, 2020 6:41 PM

May 2019
BlakexEkalb said:

I think if I took that course, I'd have taken notes so I could do the exact opposite of what they were teaching me.
Jan 14, 2020 7:10 PM

May 2013
BlakexEkalb said:

That course sounds so boring.

Degeneracy is the spice of life. I can drop the hipster part, hipsters are smelly.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jan 14, 2020 8:28 PM

Jun 2019
@Freshell I forgot to add the course to "how to not catch the gay" that's an important one

Jan 14, 2020 8:42 PM
Jul 2018
I already finished school and in college but I'm in NA so I guess I'll still add to convo

- Subtract P.E., and if that's not possible, have people go for the sports they would've liked to exercise in. I would've liked to go swimming or badminton instead of sleeping on the sidelines because it was another game of basketball/american football

- Subtract that filler class Financial Algebra or get better programs/textbooks for it. Apparently it's supposed to prepare you for the future with money but I learned nothing at all and have to depend on family members to show me the ropes of taxes and all that jumbo

- Add coding classes. It would've really helped sooner for me since I didn't really like it once I actually took the class in college and I feel it can help others as well if they were thinking going in the field
Jan 14, 2020 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
I work in curriculum design so this hits close to home. Already working on adding logical reasoning, coding and financial arithmetic. Cant do anything about the degeneracy stuff (though I did add a picture comprehension question using art from 3-gatsu no lion on an english assessment.)
Jan 14, 2020 9:19 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Maybe they should teach you more about things such as money or sex and less about the Bible. Also maybe shift the focus from competition to team work but I doubt it's going to happen very soon.

@Bakchos a straw man that's only there to discredit and ridicule people who use the word "straw man" in order to weaken their initial argument and make way for even more straw men is still a straw man though.
149597871Jan 14, 2020 9:27 PM
Jan 15, 2020 1:29 AM

Jul 2016
I'd add lessons on practical home skills, like cleaning, cooking (my country already has mandatory cooking classes, but I don't think they're good enough) and managing money.
Jan 15, 2020 1:36 AM

Jan 2009
for me i like to add
- critical thinking skills
- mindfulness meditation skills
- basic computer programming skills
- financial literacy
- cooking skills (i suck at it lol)

i will substract
- most minor subjects in college and focus more on major subjects
- my native language filipino lol its so useless anyway since everybody talks natively already about it
- religion classes
- good manners and right conduct subjects you can get this already in literature/stories classes
- history lol there is the internet already no need for this
Jan 15, 2020 5:02 AM

Aug 2012
Teaching logic shouldn't be a curriculum; it should be a way of life. Undermining the youth by teaching them things they should learn by themselves leads to complacency. There are things to be left in school and things to the person. I feel like spoon-feeding doesn't help the individual. Personal exploration is most essential to growth and prosperity. Besides, most things taught in schools are left for dead; no one remembers them. You're better changing the person than teaching him.
Jan 15, 2020 6:00 AM

Dec 2018
I’d add a class that teaches basic first aid.
Jan 15, 2020 6:28 AM

Jul 2019
1 or 2 years of macroeconomics in highschool would be great. Just enough to establish basics like supply/demand, different forms of markets, the pros & cons of private vs public spending, etc pp. If everyone has a take on economics and how their country should develop, might as well base it upon some universal priniciples.

Germany specific: cut back on foreign language teaching up till middle school. It is more and more common that children start with English & French from kindergarten onwards but end up with insufficent knowledge of their native tongue as well as unsatisfactory knowledge of said languages.
Jan 15, 2020 10:35 AM

Jun 2019
Interdisciplinary classes! something that sets a relationship between subjects in humanities and the sciences.

I don't know how it is elsewhere but also subjects that are very mechanical like accountancy that has little space for creativity or innovation should not be an option for core curriculum. Their rules are subject to change ever so often! It's such a futile thing to learn because you're basically doing arithmetic for hours with little context/ a very primary understanding of finances. Anyway working in taxation or accountancy still requires a degree + certificates so my skills would sit unused rusting for years. You're basically teaching kids something that becomes outdated every 5 years. I studied it and already everything I learned about tax has been revised. Maybe you'll learn some commerce jargon that would really set the nostalgia when you enter that investment bank with the huge learning curve 6 years after graduating HS

I understand a need to educate about finances at the micro level but I feel like it could be something taught in pockets throughout high school with the incentive being a 'certificate' on completion ( something you can add to your cv) rather than a grade.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2020 10:38 AM

Jan 2009
oh ye starting and managing a business (crash course on youtube has this already but it could be good for the curriculum) its funny that we live in a capitalistic world but the education system barely train the young people about it
Jan 15, 2020 10:41 AM

Oct 2012
I would substract the sports classes.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Jan 15, 2020 12:57 PM
May 2016
Subtract everything; nothing shall be mandatory. then the students choose what to learn
Jan 15, 2020 1:09 PM

Feb 2017
The UK.

1) Politics. People are largely clueless and feed on bs media propaganda.
2) Nutrition- we have cooking, but it's seen as a doss lesson and you just follow the motions. They should introduce cooking and preparation of healthy foods from primary school.
3) Some kind of well being thing? Such as how to manage emotions, how to deal with conflict with friends and stuff like that.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Jan 15, 2020 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
- We had nutrition and cooking in school and when I look what grub many people all day and how high the percentage of even overweight children is, that is really needed.
- We als had politics and think all schools need that.

ladamesansmerci said:
The UK.

2) Nutrition- we have cooking, but it's seen as a doss lesson and you just follow the motions. They should introduce cooking and preparation of healthy foods from primary school.
3) Some kind of well being thing? Such as how to manage emotions, how to deal with conflict with friends and stuff like that.

We had all of this. Once a week we had two hours where we had to talk about our problems with each other and teachers in school or at home etc

We also had to organize social projects and actually talk to all kinds of people, people who had been in jail, drug addicts etc.
removed-userJan 15, 2020 1:30 PM
Jan 15, 2020 1:43 PM

Feb 2017
Maneki-Mew said:
- We had nutrition and cooking in school and when I look what grub many people all day and how high the percentage of even overweight children is, that is really needed.

ladamesansmerci said:
The UK.

We had all of this. Once a week we had two hours where we had to talk about our problems with each other and teachers in school or at home etc

We also had to organize social projects and actually talk to all kinds of people, people who had been in jail, drug addicts etc.

That's really good you had those opportunities at school, especially getting to talk to so many different people! There are certainly elements in the UK curriculum, but it's just not good enough. We have so many social issues over here and I feel a change in education could improve things a lot. And unless you take it at A-level/college politics is pretty much non-existent here- or at least this was the case when I was in school, and to my knowledge this hasn't altered much.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Jan 15, 2020 1:44 PM

Oct 2015
Get religion out of here, ideally.
Logic courses are good, would be nice to introduce the youth to formal reasoning and such. Not too overwhelming but enough to spark interest.

Jan 15, 2020 1:51 PM

Mar 2018
Orhunaa said:
I as a stern atheist believe that religion ought to stay in school as long as it's not forced and students who wish to learn about it are allowed to make such choices. Here in my place one can make a choice between having one lesson per a week about religious blabbering or the other and obviously in every possible way superior choice of having a lesson about law, human nature, morals, logic, politics and many other themes of great value. The latter is one lesson that groups all those themes into one package and works with it depending on the needs.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Jan 15, 2020 2:00 PM

Oct 2015
Luchse said:
Orhunaa said:
I as a stern atheist believe that religion ought to stay in school as long as it's not forced and students who wish to learn about it are allowed to make such choices. Here in my place one can make a choice between having one lesson per a week about religious blabbering or the other and obviously in every possible way superior choice of having a lesson about law, human nature, morals, logic, politics and many other themes of great value. The latter is one lesson that groups all those themes into one package and works with it depending on the needs.

Sorry should have been clearer, get it out of the mandatory school curriculum, as the title says.

How can you guys condense all those topics that are all very extensive under one lesson?
Jan 15, 2020 2:10 PM

Mar 2018
Orhunaa said:
Luchse said:

Sorry should have been clearer, get it out of the mandatory school curriculum, as the title says.

How can you guys condense all those topics that are all very extensive under one lesson?
My country is fairly religious, although not as much as yours but I'm still surprised that those are mandatory there.

Yes they certainly are very extensive but the teacher need compress the themes into something more digestible for the students, that is depending on their age because you are given the choice for these two right after you start your first lessons in the elementary school. With age and further education the more complicated talks are unlocked and are easier for students to understand. The way it worked during my time in elementary and high school, we'd talk about the current happenings around the world. Break it down apart and discuss the certain points in the time allotted. Once the next week rears its head we either continue the talk from the previous one or if something of interest happened we'd focus on that. It is a class that would at times appear like the one of philosophy, history and heck even biology. The best part about this was that all of the lesser men would go for the religious classes so the ones with brain capabilities would remain in this class which allowed me to converse in great length with some.

Jan 15, 2020 2:29 PM

Feb 2019
Why would I change what's undeniably, clearly perfect?
Jan 15, 2020 3:03 PM
Jul 2018
ladamesansmerci said:
Maneki-Mew said:

That's really good you had those opportunities at school, especially getting to talk to so many different people! There are certainly elements in the UK curriculum, but it's just not good enough. We have so many social issues over here and I feel a change in education could improve things a lot. And unless you take it at A-level/college politics is pretty much non-existent here- or at least this was the case when I was in school, and to my knowledge this hasn't altered much.

Yes I also think so, also I was on a high school for various social stuff and co., but most schools don't have it.

Orhunaa said:
Logic courses are good, would be nice to introduce the youth to formal reasoning and such. Not too overwhelming but enough to spark interest.

No, people should choose on their own, but there shouldn't be religion lessons for kids under 14 or 15, since no single 6 yo decides to go there on their own. Until they are 14, kids must go to the religion lessons their parents choose for them and then they could choose on their own. A muslim girl at 10 told me lately "we must believe in Allah, it's stated here on the paper that our teacher gave us."
removed-userJan 15, 2020 3:09 PM
Jan 15, 2020 3:08 PM

Oct 2015
@Maneki-Mew

Orhunaa said:

I think the confusion arised because most countries don't have mandatory religion lessons in the curriculum in the first place. So you guys thought "He must be talking about the optional lesson."
Jan 15, 2020 5:20 PM

May 2019
@Yarub
That's a very fair point and is more or less the counter-argument I had floating around in my mind put well into words.
@operationvalkyri
That's pretty cool. I'd be interested in hearing you elaborate since you've probably given this more thought than most, if that's fine.
Jan 15, 2020 6:00 PM
Jan 2020
I would add religion too in high school, on a cycle basis through the most common ones here. Too many people talking about others religion without understanding even the basics of them.
inactive
Jan 15, 2020 7:56 PM
Jul 2018
Freshell said:

@operationvalkyri
That's pretty cool. I'd be interested in hearing you elaborate since you've probably given this more thought than most, if that's fine.
I'll keep this short since I tend to go on about it (it's my life's work after all). The traditional curriculum that most of us have gone through was developed for mass producing labour post Industrisl revolution. That's why there is such a skewed focus towards hard sciences and arithmetic. The key now is not to add or subtract elements in isolation but to rethink the entire curriculum using the 21st century skills framework. It was made keeping in mind the needs of modern individuals where we cant be divorced from things like technology or socio-emotional aspects of life. A basic intro is here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_century_skills

In addition to the skills, the framework talks about 21st century themes like health and wellness and sustainability that can very well be embedded in the curriculum. All modern curriculum design is aiming for it including in my country. The process is slow going so far, but in the right direction.
Jan 16, 2020 3:03 AM

Aug 2012
Freshell said:
@Yarub
That's a very fair point and is more or less the counter-argument I had floating around in my mind put well into words.
Just to add. My view is pretty much philosophical if you get where I'm from. If you teach anything and everything elementary and advanced, what is the point of living? Live and act how your seniors subjected you to being in school? Achievement is personal. That is why I really oppose this sort of thought-invasion, if you could call it that. Teach people what to think and not how to, then you're dealt with a bunch of cyborgs.

I've taught all types of students. I have a style in which I do not answer a question directly. I try to lead the student in the general direction and let him off. Most students get aggravated because, ideally, they just want me to supply with answers; god forbid they are the ones that do so. The brightest students enjoy this sort of semi-teaching. I also mutually enjoy seeing their process of thought, rather it being all behind a curtain. There's one word you should use to determine the knowledge of a student: always as why, and then you'll see.

So yeah, general awareness is essential but never mandatory or even supplemental classes. People need to learn by themselves.
Jan 16, 2020 3:20 AM
Jul 2018
Orhunaa said:
@Maneki-Mew

Orhunaa said:

I think the confusion arised because most countries don't have mandatory religion lessons in the curriculum in the first place. So you guys thought "He must be talking about the optional lesson."

True. It's kind of optional, but it's more like: It's a fix part of the curriculum even in primary school, until parents decide to sign them off. Although even not religious parents often won't sign their kids off, because preparing christmas songs, the school festival for christmas etc is a part of these lessons in many schools, so the kids won't be an outsider and part of the fun. Many of that happens in the christian religion lessons, so they "have" to go.
Jan 16, 2020 3:27 AM

Jul 2007
Frankly there are too many shitty, underfunded schools and teachers for a change in the curriculum to really mean anything. There also seems to be this general disrespect for teaching as a profession which I imagine just encourages kids to act like absolute turds at school.
Jan 16, 2020 3:29 AM

Jul 2015
keep:
-math (algebra, calculus, trigonometry, geometry)
-natural sciences (chemistry, physics, geology, biology )
-basics of computer operation (at least to the extent of using a browser & document editor. and know the concepts of network, file, and program)
-government
-communication

remove (since all of these should be optional imo):
-sports
-history
-anything religious
-ethics
-foreign language
-all arts
-all electives

add:
-personal finance

then drastically reduce duration of time in school per day (half a day at most), so that they can have more time getting raised by parents, then later, time for part-time job/internships

Jan 16, 2020 3:34 AM

Jan 2009
operationvalkyri said:
Freshell said:

@operationvalkyri
I'll keep this short since I tend to go on about it (it's my life's work after all). The traditional curriculum that most of us have gone through was developed for mass producing labour post Industrisl revolution. That's why there is such a skewed focus towards hard sciences and arithmetic. The key now is not to add or subtract elements in isolation but to rethink the entire curriculum using the 21st century skills framework. It was made keeping in mind the needs of modern individuals where we cant be divorced from things like technology or socio-emotional aspects of life. A basic intro is here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_century_skills

In addition to the skills, the framework talks about 21st century themes like health and wellness and sustainability that can very well be embedded in the curriculum. All modern curriculum design is aiming for it including in my country. The process is slow going so far, but in the right direction.

as usual governments are so slow to adapt or catch up to the fast pace progress of capitalism and technology so you will hear news of worsening "Skills Gap"

but i find this interesting on that wikipedia link "Five New Basics: English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Computer Science" like im fine if those are the only subjects left too and make the students focus on them more going forward since to me less is more especially that learning requires tons of rest like sleep too so no need for long hours of studies everyday like whats currently happening
Jan 16, 2020 3:45 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
operationvalkyri said:

as usual governments are so slow to adapt or catch up to the fast pace progress of capitalism and technology so you will hear news of worsening "Skills Gap"

but i find this interesting on that wikipedia link "Five New Basics: English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Computer Science" like im fine if those are the only subjects left too and make the students focus on them more going forward since to me less is more especially that learning requires tons of rest like sleep too so no need for long hours of studies everyday like whats currently happening
Not sure if this shift will change the amount of time spent in school (hasn't done so yet) but it definitely affects the amount of time kids need to spend cramming facts into their heads. Curricula of old focused on making kids remember facts. Today information is readily available so the focus shouldn't be on memorizing ot but on other skills related to it (searching for information, determining credibility, analysing and putting together information into something meaningful). This way, assessments also don't ask for kids to repeat facts they learned but to perform deeper analyses on concepts.
Jan 16, 2020 3:50 AM

Jan 2009
operationvalkyri said:
deg said:

Not sure if this shift will change the amount of time spent in school (hasn't done so yet) but it definitely affects the amount of time kids need to spend cramming facts into their heads. Curricula of old focused on making kids remember facts. Today information is readily available so the focus shouldn't be on memorizing ot but on other skills related to it (searching for information, determining credibility, analysing and putting together information into something meaningful). This way, assessments also don't ask for kids to repeat facts they learned but to perform deeper analyses on concepts.

ah ye i realized that good now old school is about memorizing while new school should be about analyzing like critical thinking since the internet exist already and its the biggest knowledge source or biggest library out there

social skills should be added though since a lot of people today interact more with their phones or computers rather than actual human beings lol
Jan 16, 2020 3:53 AM

Oct 2015
Yarub said:
Freshell said:
@Yarub
Just to add. My view is pretty much philosophical if you get where I'm from. If you teach anything and everything elementary and advanced, what is the point of living? Live and act how your seniors subjected you to being in school? Achievement is personal. That is why I really oppose this sort of thought-invasion, if you could call it that. Teach people what to think and not how to, then you're dealt with a bunch of cyborgs.

I've taught all types of students. I have a style in which I do not answer a question directly. I try to lead the student in the general direction and let him off. Most students get aggravated because, ideally, they just want me to supply with answers; god forbid they are the ones that do so. The brightest students enjoy this sort of semi-teaching. I also mutually enjoy seeing their process of thought, rather it being all behind a curtain. There's one word you should use to determine the knowledge of a student: always as why, and then you'll see.

So yeah, general awareness is essential but never mandatory or even supplemental classes. People need to learn by themselves.

I do agree with your general points about how education shouldn't be all about infodumping but rather giving them intuitive ways to think about concepts and enabling them to reason out by themselves (why I love mathematical proofs so much). But precisely because of that I believe introducing the effective ways to utilise the intellectual tools at our disposal as a catalyst for one to cultivate analytical thinking themself is a good way to go about it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

46 by Dracowyn »»
4 minutes ago

» Looking for friends | Cultural exchange and otaku conversations

KMIR - 6 minutes ago

0 by KMIR »»
6 minutes ago

» What jobs do you all have? ( 1 2 )

AnxiousMike - Feb 11, 2023

83 by Dracowyn »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

34 by LoveYourEyes »»
20 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

37 by Voila_ »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.