Forum Settings
Forums

Is the "Too Far Behind" Problem a Problem for You?

New
Dec 5, 2019 10:45 PM

Sep 2018
This is completely subjective in nature, but when there is so much to consume, I find it extremely daunting to begin an anime or manga that I feel I am "too far behind" in.

For example, I would love to watch "One Piece" as I have only heard great things about the series and it's one of the few very popular anime that I have never seen. However, being 912 episodes behind is way too much [for me];

(912/12=76) which means that I could watch 76, 12 episode-long series that I have never seen before en lieu of "One Piece" which I think attributes to my issue of being "too far behind"

Another thing I would love to do is read "Berserk", but being 357 chapters behind is quite daunting as well.

(Note: This same general rule applies to other, finished series such as Bleach, Gintama, etc. wherein they have literally hundreds of episodes)

So where do you all stand on this?
Blanks.
Dec 5, 2019 11:08 PM

May 2013
Nah, if something is good you are never too far behind. Especially with Berserk.

Just read Berserk and live with the trauma like the rest of us.

I’m all seriousness though, if you think you will like a series just go for it.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Dec 5, 2019 11:25 PM
Jul 2018
You can literally drop a show like One Piece if you don't like it after watching a few episodes unless you are the type of person who doesn't drop an anime.
Dec 5, 2019 11:34 PM

Jan 2010
You can watch one episode of the anime every day and eventually you will catch to it.If not maybe 2 or 3 episode in the week and if you like the series very much you can always binge
it.You dont have to force it,just watch it at your pace .
Dec 5, 2019 11:36 PM
Jan 2012
I can somewhat understand it, but I personally am not affected by this. It's only really ever relevant if I want to actually talk about the show and discuss it, which I rarely ever do nowadays. Not watching something because I'm behind would imply that what matters to me is my watch time in comparison to other peoples, which is just nonsense. We should watch anime for ourselves, whether we can catch up or not shouldn't really factor in anything. Watch at your own pace, if you enjoy it even if you're hundreds of episodes behind, who cares?

I understand shows like One Piece feel daunting due to the watch time and you end up feeling like you should watch other shows instead, but I don't exactly view that as a problem, that's just a decision you made because time is pretty damn valuable.

So I do get it, but it's not something I recommending seeing through a negative lens. Try to think about it positively, if there's hundreds of episodes or chapters to a show or manga and you're quite behind, you have a lot more to experience of something you like. Would you rather have 200 chapters of Berserk you haven't read yet, or suffer through the hiatuses of people that have been caught up? If anything I have a bigger problem with catching up to the latest episode/chapter for ongoing series.
Dec 6, 2019 12:47 AM

May 2018
I never felt the need to be is sync with certain anime fandom thus never felt "left behind".
Also being a fan it's not a competition of "Who can cram more anime for extended period of time?". The point is to have fun and sometimes this means stop watching for a while when you are burned out.

What is important is the experience of watching, discovering interesting stuff or simply exploring the unexplored anime lands.

I never understood the "too many episodes" complaint.
Imagine that they are all good - you will have fun for longer time.
Imagine that they are mostly bad - just drop the title.

Also there is that thing - after a while you get used/addicted to the characters and the world. You start to enjoy even the less stellar episodes.

I guess the modern watching habits are part of the problem here. People just tend to binge watch everything.
This doesn't always work with long going series - you must break those into small packages (like 3-4 episodes at once) and watch them parallel to other titles (for example seasonals). Just a matter scheduling.
If you got your pacing right it can be a long and joyful experience without putting on hold everything else.
Dec 6, 2019 12:52 AM

Jan 2013
I'm generally not interested in such long (200+ep/ch) anime/manga anyway, so I don't care. The only exceception so far is Gintama, and I just simply watched it at my own pace. Took me a few years.
fuyukiDec 6, 2019 12:55 AM
Dec 6, 2019 1:06 AM

May 2018

Imagine those 76 titles being some generic isekais and school dramas...

I mean, I am not the biggest One Piece fan.
Ignored it for years, caught up when it was 680 episodes for about 4 months (without stopping watching some seasonals) and dropping it at 724 because the pacing of Dressarosa made it unwatchable.

Yes, it has some great stuff in it (started notice them 100-150 episodes in) but also some bad stuff and despite dropping it I don regret the invested time because it was fun (mostly great music and japanese VA performances).

So my point is not to start watching One Piece but start looking for long going series that suite you. They don't prevent you from the good stuff, sometimes they are the better stuff.
alshuDec 6, 2019 2:25 AM
Dec 6, 2019 1:20 AM

Jul 2016
Funnily enough, this is one of the top benefits of being the only one in your friend group who watches anime. No one's there to tell me I'm behind on shows. I can catch up on an anime at any time, so I'm really not arsed about falling behind.
Dec 6, 2019 1:22 AM
Apr 2016
If something has ~1000 episodes you might question just how consistent and relevant the series which cannot conclude itself is. And then proceed not to waste time on it at all. As a general guideline.
Re:formed
Dec 6, 2019 2:00 AM

Apr 2016
Well I am known to be an extremely patient person. So I don't hesitate to watch long series. Now I have completed almost every big long running shounen series in the past cause I was in school and had a lot of time. Now that I am working, time is limited. I gotta juggle my work, playing video games, reading books and watching anime/reading manga everyday.

So what I do is watch them slowly, one or two eps a day. Right now I am trying to get through Gintama. It has been 583 days since May 3 2018 when I started it and I only just got to ep111. But as I am a patient man I'll keep watching it. Slowly but surely completing it.

PS I am also rewatching the entire Naruto franchise rn through Naruto Kai, so theres that.
PPS I also read Berserk but I haven't read it for 2 years cause I am waiting for more chapters. Last time I read it I kept reading for around 14 hours and caught up.

So yeah I don't care if I can catch up or not cuz I know I eventually will.
Dec 6, 2019 2:23 AM

Jul 2019
Kind of. Archive panic is a pain. But I don't really think about it and just don't watch anime with more than 200 episodes. Most of the anime I watch are airing or only have 13 or 26 episodes at most anyway.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Dec 6, 2019 2:23 AM

Jul 2016
You know what I binged one piece in 2 months,so I feel like if you can find a time when you are off for a significant amount of time,such as summer I assume,and crazy binge it it is achievable.But it requires a tremendous amount of dedication to watch so much in such a short time,since I pretty much watched 10-20 episodes a day.
Dec 6, 2019 2:30 AM

Sep 2018
I agree on One Piss, i cant bring myself to watching it and i never will, but i wouldve read Berserk in 2 days if i didnt hold myself back from finishing it cause i didnt want it to end. If you like a long running series that stays at a certain level of quality its even better than watching some generic bullshit.

If you start Berserk and have good taste you will read it in less than a few days ;)

Its not even disturbing.

You dont even need to be at the latest chapter of everything you read, you can take your time. It wont run away from you.
-Mullerio-Dec 6, 2019 2:34 AM
Dec 6, 2019 2:32 AM
May 2018
For me personally, the only problem is when I actually caught up with the last aired episode, and then must watch on a weekly basis. :(

Unless I put them on hold again for a while.
Dec 6, 2019 2:52 AM

Nov 2019
You can read all berserk chapters in like 1 or 2 days if you really want to. But then you have to wait 1 year to read 2 chapters
Dec 6, 2019 3:01 AM
Nov 2018
When I watched One Piece, it had like 750 episodes or so. It has filler arcs too so it wont be 912 episodes long. Anyway, you can start to watch 1-2 episodes a day and eventually you may start to watch tons of them xd. If you decide to give it a try, watch at least 100-200 episodes (thats like the warm up of the show)

Your calculations also mean that One Piece is worth of 76 short anime hahahahaha.

You can read the manga too, its better and faster.
Eventually, you'll fall into death's embrace anyway, so it's stupid to be bound by useless ideals.

Dec 6, 2019 3:08 AM

Oct 2008
I am feeling the burn,meaning I have seen the 1st season of "Black Clover" (51ep).
Now the 2nd season has finished airing (another 51ep) and while I don't feel as bad as you I can relate.

Here is my real problem:
I have seen (finished) but forgotten a lot of s1 and s2 of "Index and Railgun" now a 3rd season of Index has come out, an Accelerator side-story has come out and I am waiting for the 3rd season of Railgun. I need to rewatch the entire franchise and get back on track. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy the 3rd seasons and Accelerator that have come out.
Dec 6, 2019 3:11 AM

May 2015
Just watch 12 episodes of it, pretend it's the first season. Do you still wish to continue craving for another season? Well, you are lucky there are so much episodes already out. If not, just drop it. No one can guarantee you'll even like this long series and no one is forcing you to watch it all.
Dec 6, 2019 3:32 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Not really. You mention One Piece; I binged it years ago to catch up because I liked it a lot, not because I felt I was "too far behind". Seems what you find daunting is the anime discussion subforum. If you want to maximize your numbers, watch 76 shorts instead of 12 episode series... quality < quantity as they say.

PS: Berserk... if you start reading it, before you know it you'd have binged the entire Golden Age arc.
Dec 6, 2019 5:11 AM

Oct 2017
Not really, although I do prefer things to be shorter than hundreds of episodes. Long series that I enjoyed never felt daunting to me. There isn't enough Berserk, 357 chapters seems like a lot but they flew by. A good story will make you want more so being "too far behind" ends up not being an issue.
Dec 6, 2019 5:36 AM
Sep 2019
It's really a major reason why I haven't pick up watching One Piece yet. I'm okay with being "left behind" as long as I don't have 800 or so episodes to catch up on. It's a personal preference. I just prefer shorter shows. Something around 300 or less is fine with me.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Dec 6, 2019 6:12 AM

Nov 2011
I don't care about how far I am behind when I am watching/reading something, I mean I watched Original Gundam 35+ years after it aired and reading Ashita no Joe 45+ years after it published. I also don't care about the number of animes in my list, some people can have watched more than 1000 or 2000 animes and that is not my problem.

You know that there are some kind of story that can't be told with only a short movie or a couple of episodes. Legend of the Galactic Heroes won't be that good if it only had 12 episodes for example. The problem is that long story worth your time or not. I was surprised when you wrote that you only heard good thing about One Piece lol. But even if you start it, it's not like you will write a contract or something, you can always drop it when you feel like it.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Dec 6, 2019 8:22 AM

Jul 2017
I feel the same way. Kind of the reason I put off watching longer series' because I could watch a lot more different variety in that time
Dec 6, 2019 8:45 AM

Feb 2010
No, it's actually the opposite. The longer something is the more enticing it is because if I really love a show I'd much rather have hundreds of episodes of it to look forward to than to have it end before I even really got into it, like it is with way too many 1-cour shows.

I don't really understand the argument that it is somehow better to watch 76 random 1-cour shows instead of being able to watch 912 episodes of a fantastic show I love. It doesn't make sense to me. When you like something it's always great news if there is a lot of it, and it you don't like it it makes no difference whether there's 12 or 912 episodes, you can just drop it. That's why long is always better given that the shows are of comparable quality.

Not to mention the mostly inconclusive 'endings' for 1-cour shows that just advertise their source material, giving you the anime equivalent of blue balls because they aren't event trying to tell a good, complete, conclusive, well-paced story. Or the fact that certain kinds of stories are impossible to tell within 12 episodes, especially any kind of epic adventure story like One Piece or Berserk. 1-cour severely limits the options for storytelling because not many stories can be told satisfyingly in such a short amount of time. There of course some great examples, but longer shows simply have more options, more creative freedom and of course more time. Don't understimate time as a factor, especially when it comes to getting attached to a show and its cast. After 100, 200 episodes you just have a different kind of attachment to characters than after 12.

The variety argument also doesn't really work because you don't have to exclusively binge One Piece for 912 episodes. You can watch however many shorter shows from different genres while you catch up with it. You can catch up at whatever pace suits you best. You can take 10 years if that's what works for you.

The 'daunting' pressure is all in your head, in reality you watch it one episode at a time just like any other show, for as long as you're enjoying it and if you stop you take a break or drop it. There's only upside to it, because if you fall in love with a long show you're gonna be happy as fuck that there are so many episodes.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 6, 2019 9:05 PM

Jun 2016
Sometimes, but I don't think it's too much of a deterrent if it's easily accessible and you're invested enough in the series. I won't speak for One Piece, but before last month I had only read around 4 chapters into Hajime no Ippo, an ongoing manga nearly 1300 chapters long so far and shows no signs of ending anytime soon. I had already seen all the anime adaptations for it and at first was hesitant to read through hundreds of chapters of content I'm familiar with. But now here I am over 800 chapters in and will more than likely catch up to the manga before the year ends. If I had let my doubts keep me from picking it back up, I might've missed out on one of the best experiences this medium has given me.

Basically, don't feel upset for having concerns about tackling a long-running series and don't feel compelled to catch up on one if you aren't feeling up to it. But at the same time, don't dismiss them outright because of their length. If you want my advice, try One Piece and see what you think. Who knows, maybe it'll be something you love and a story you wish will never end.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2019 9:09 PM

Dec 2014
Watch one or two episodes a day. And then, before you knew it, you've already caught up. That said, that mentality of being too far behind will nudge your mind and you'll be too lazy to start up the show again. The only solution for that is to just force yourself not to think of it(very hard but rewarding if you break past it.)
Dec 6, 2019 10:12 PM

Jan 2015
I have the "too far behind" issue in a different sense. For me it's because I tend to get really invested in a show once the fandom has long moved on. For instance with FMA:B I got into it 7 years after it started airing, and by that time when I was finally excited about it people kinda went, "wha? That's old news, we're into ______ now!" Don't get me wrong, there's still the hard core fan out there who wants to talk about it, but it's not the same as being into the show at the height of its popularity. This has happened to me with so many other series too, mostly older anime like Utena; I always just come late to the party ^^;
Dec 7, 2019 12:57 AM
Jul 2018
Majority of One Piece viewers initially had watched the first seasons on TV in early 2000 and moved to fansubs once Internet became faster. It was easier to watch the series and catch on this way. Same for Dbz. Vast majority watched the series on TV in late 90s, yet the abridged DB Kai is recommended to newcomers.

One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Gintama etc are series where majority watches one episode per week, with excitement over what will happen next. This is completely different than binge watching all episodes,thus killing any excitement and exposing the series flaws to a greater extent. Eg I caught with latest One Piece manga chapters. Hadn't touch the series for 2.5 years. I was dissapointed, more than ever, even compared to second half. Will not bother for another 3 years. Yet discussions don't focus on the series flaws but only in the lore and the events and the excitement of what will follow. I don't participate in that kind of discussion.

One Piece now is a completely different anime/manga compared to 10-15 years ago, same for Berserk.
If you have more excitement to watch other shorter series, than I'd recommend doing this first.

@Manyaa_-
Same, I am reading the manga though. It has a lot of text so 2-3 chapters are like reading 1 volume of a standard shonen manga. 5-10 chapters a day, stuck for weeks. But I'll finish it in 2 months I guess.
Reminds me of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei a little, though latter had a much better and subtle humor, though it was lacking in any action or emotional scenes.
Dec 7, 2019 1:12 AM

Aug 2017
If you think that a series is too long to catch up, you should try watching it with a friend! That's what I do, and it becomes way more enjoyable, especially if that friend has already watched the series and doesn't mind re-watching it and can fill you in on bits you didn't get without revealing upcoming spoilers.

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

49 by Ratris_Decision »»
7 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

57 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 3 hours ago

15 by ShatteredSans »»
4 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 24 minutes ago

4 by Ratris_Decision »»
7 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

2 by MadanielFL »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.