Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 1, 2019 4:35 PM

Oct 2012
Pretty good episode as far as battle of minds with king goes. Nice revelation about Askeladd being the son of the raped slave. Funny to see Floki again, I really hope he dies by Thorfinn's dager with him knowing the order to kill his father was issued by him.

I can agree that Canute's transformation was pretty weak (as it really felt like someone just flipped a switch) but the way he is acting now is certainly a lot more interesting that before. The question remains whether this payoff is really worth of almost half the season weak and dragged buildup but if the anime continues with the "game of thrones" style developement even further I'm willing to take a bet.

Seems like Leif is back and he's way overdue. They siderailed the question and fate of Thorfinn's family for way too long to my taste.
Dec 1, 2019 4:54 PM

Feb 2015
Canute's apparently a Jojo character with those faces now and Thorfinn's Levi with knives with all that spinning.

DedPanda said:
emraanash said:
this was the best episode so far....... If there is going to be season 2 I think they are going in the right direction, though I don't like the concept of religious belief to be violent.............

Welcome to the Dark Ages my dude

This guy either did not pay attention in history class or to the news or had some very "good" bible courses. The Crusades, Jihadism, and just about every case of sectarian violence ever. It's much more than a concept, it's reality.

Mich666 said:
Pretty good episode as far as battle of minds with king goes. Nice revelation about Askeladd being the son of the raped slave. Funny to see Floki again, I really hope he dies by Thorfinn's dager with him knowing the order to kill his father was issued by him.

I can agree that Canute's transformation was pretty weak (as it really felt like someone just flipped a switch) but the way he is acting now is certainly a lot more interesting that before. The question remains whether this payoff is really worth of almost half the season weak and dragged buildup but if the anime continues with the "game of thrones" style developement even further I'm willing to take a bet.

Seems like Leif is back and he's way overdue. They siderailed the question and fate of Thorfinn's family for way too long to my taste.

+1 to all of that. Dude has not aged well either. Wouldn't have minded a few scenes of him weaved in now and again. Really didn't have to wait this long for him to reappear. Anyways, I'm pretty sure we already knew about Askeladd's heritage.
Dec 1, 2019 5:08 PM

May 2013
First half of the episode was excellent and the pace was built up brilliantly and then the resolution of the tension with the King was very lacklustre. The changes to the plot are for the worse, imo. I can see why they're doing it and I can kind of predict where the show's going to leave off but I am not a fan of it. The direction and voice acting are strong enough that by the time it was back to Thorkell drinking in the tent I was on board again. It's a shame they have to compromise with this stuff cuz the future's so uncertain.

Also the influx of low IQ criticism because of how popular it is is disheartening. Is there not some terrible booby girl flavour of the month shonen show the 15 year olds can watch? How many times do I have to read guys in high school whining about Thorfinn and Canute?
Dec 1, 2019 5:27 PM

Jun 2019
This episode was much slower, but still good. I laughed out loud at some of the faces the characters made this episode.

It'll be interesting to see where things go, what with only four episodes left. And what was Leif doing at the end, is he searching for Thorfinn?
Dec 1, 2019 6:08 PM
Mar 2019
such a great episode ...the expression on Askeladd's face gave me chills from top to bottom ...one of the few moments when the anime surpasses the manga ... absolutely loved it ...10/10
Dec 1, 2019 6:15 PM
Jan 2019
well, I have seen and heard many leaders and kings that said that they are going to make paradise in the earth and end up being mad in this case he portraits that role, even you make a paradise you'll end up sacrificing many civilian to reach that paradise, I don't know what kind of paradise he was thinking but that paradise will be going like hell that many people suffer outside that paradise, well I see many rulers achieve that paradise and make wise desition (and fallen when the next generation failed to do there role or conquered), but in the case of Canute he's going to be ruthless leader (I know he was base on real leader but I don't know that part of history so I'm going to base what I see in this anime)

the king sure look wise

Thorfinn is getting better in his dagger (is that dagger or a sword, well I have only had little knowledge about weapons)

and Thor's friend is still looking for Thorfinn, I wonder what role he's going to portray.

and by the way does the man with big ears is still alive or he been killed? (the one that has a great sense of sound)
Dec 1, 2019 6:22 PM

May 2015
Anoo-Domini said:
well, I have seen and heard many leaders and kings that said that they are going to make paradise in the earth and end up being mad in this case he portraits that role, even you make a paradise you'll end up sacrificing many civilian to reach that paradise, I don't know what kind of paradise he was thinking but that paradise will be going like hell that many people suffer outside that paradise, well I see many rulers achieve that paradise and make wise desition (and fallen when the next generation failed to do there role or conquered), but in the case of Canute he's going to be ruthless leader (I know he was base on real leader but I don't know that part of history so I'm going to base what I see in this anime)

the king sure look wise

Thorfinn is getting better in his dagger (is that dagger or a sword, well I have only had little knowledge about weapons)

and Thor's friend is still looking for Thorfinn, I wonder what role he's going to portray.

and by the way does the man with big ears is still alive or he been killed? (the one that has a great sense of sound)
he's dead,i think they skipped this in the anime
Dec 1, 2019 6:40 PM

Jan 2018
Looks like the King is not an easy guy to be dealt with. I cannot wait for their further plans to take the Crown. Canute literally became dark af.
Dec 1, 2019 7:19 PM

Jun 2015
Cnut is angry, but fortunately he is careful. King Sweyn put some big salt on Askeladd's wounds there. See you Atli, have fun living a normal life.
Btw what was the extra scenes the director was talking about?
Dec 1, 2019 7:22 PM
Jan 2019
nanashi796 said:
Anoo-Domini said:

the king sure look wise

he's dead,i think they skipped this in the anime

so I really need to read the manga
its feels like they skip some unimportant scene, to save time and money, what a waist
Dec 1, 2019 7:34 PM

Apr 2014
hmm i've been wondering about this for a while but is Thorfinn going to find out that Floki was the one who actually caused his father's death? i wonder how he would react

also, i can't help but feel like even if Thorfinn wins against Askleladd it won't be very satisfying since he'll probably only lose to him because he's old
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 1, 2019 7:38 PM

Jan 2014
Mad asf they removed a lot of stuff from the manga in this episode. Specifically the scene between Bjorn and Askeladd. Maybe they'll add in the episode where
. Anyways, I loved the way that they adapted Askeladd's anger. Also, anyone know what the red room was supposed to represent? Feel like it might have some symbolism but I have pea-sized brain.
Dec 1, 2019 7:39 PM

Jun 2015
Also, should I start reading the manga along with watching the anime now?
Dec 1, 2019 8:30 PM

May 2019
Switch_Z said:
Cnut is angry, but fortunately he is careful. King Sweyn put some big salt on Askeladd's wounds there. See you Atli, have fun living a normal life.
Btw what was the extra scenes the director was talking about?
"There will be some adjustments from the original in the remaining episodes, but as mentioned earlier, all decisions are made with the satisfaction of viewers in mind.

It is probably more accurate to call it a supplement than an adjustment. It is the result of adding our own perspective so that you can enjoy this series as an independent content. We have done the same in all the episodes so far, and if you accept them, you will enjoy them. There will be minor alterations to the timing of the events, but the original story and the ending will not change.

My words may cause anxiety for those who love the original, but I’m not telling this for a conservative reason. I am confident in my decision and I am blessed with excellent, motivated staff. If you accept me as one of the enthusiastic original fans, I would be happy if you could wait for the upcoming episodes with hope, not anxiety."
Dec 1, 2019 8:48 PM

Nov 2019
this is getting a bit boring, I wanted them to assassinate the king then and there but it looks like it'g gonna take a while before they make their move and it's only a few episodes left

also is the king Askeladd's biological father?
Dec 1, 2019 9:04 PM
Jan 2018
Canute is making everyone his bitch holy crap
Dec 1, 2019 9:09 PM
May 2016
Surprisingly fantastic episode. I really was expecting this one to be a huge breather after the past few episodes but honestly? In terms of production with the art, animation, pacing and direction, this has to be one of the best episodes in the series. Holy shit, that came out of nowhere. I've grown to love these characters so much too, this episode did a seriously good job of making me like Askeladd, Canute, Thorkell and Atil a lot more. Man this series continues to get more and more interesting, it really feels like we've got a classic in the making on our hands here. Good job as always WIT. These episodes that focus more on the characters and world-building are what sets this show apart from the usual schlock always airing every season, it's genuinely refreshing and I'm enjoying this series now thoroughly. Shame it's ending soon.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
MonkeyDHunterDec 4, 2019 7:40 AM
Dec 1, 2019 11:00 PM

Mar 2010
I just hate this anime for not letting me hate Askeladd as much as I want
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2019 12:09 AM

Dec 2018
Again Askeladd saves the day and have taken his rightful place next to the prince! Ragnar was a nice man and a loving father but that is not needed neither suited for the situation they are in .The prince needs an cunning advisor who acts on the situation at hand ,rather then treating the price like a piece of fragile glass

Dec 2, 2019 1:07 AM

May 2012
welcum2savage said:
This episode cut out a small scene between bjorn and askeladd that i really like and that foreshadows next episode. Also shows their relationship well and its a shame they cut it. If you want to read it its at the start of chapter 43.

I so agree. That small scene in the manga between askeladd and bjorn really made an impact on how strong their bond is. That's probably why the succeding chapters in the manga regarding bjorn really moved me when i read it. Anyway there is just 4 more episodes to go i think so that's why they are cutting some scenes....
Dec 2, 2019 1:13 AM
Jun 2019
This show keeps getting better and better. The character development this season alone is phenomenal I cant wait to see what the next episode has in store. Lief is back. :)
Dec 2, 2019 1:16 AM
Nov 2018
The king's already a rotten matter. But he's still clever enough. The prince's group will have to sacrifice much to take him down. And, Askeladd is easily the best gurl. Guess we'll be seeing more tatics in next eps.

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Dec 2, 2019 1:19 AM

Nov 2019
Back in episode 8, Askeladd memorably said "Everyone is a slave to something" and many viewers wondered what he himself was a slave to. Well, the face he made when the king insulted his mother certainly gives a hint as to what makes the man tick.

Modernoir said:
Surprisingly fantastic episode. I really was expecting this one to be a huge breather after the past few episodes but honestly? In terms of production with the art, animation, pacing and direction, this has to be one of the best episodes in the series. Holy shit, that came out of nowhere.

I know, right? After the climatic conclusion to the protracted conflict in the snow last week, I was totally expecting a breather and budget episode this week, and instead got one of the best looking and most well directed episodes, that managed to make this build-up portion of the story as fascinating and thrilling as the climatic events that came before it.

Switch_Z said:
Also, should I start reading the manga along with watching the anime now?

Might as well finish the anime now, only 4 weeks left. You can pick up the manga after that.

YggdraSEED said:

Which king? Sweyn? Nah, Askeladd said in this very episode his father's name is Olaf.

rebelakuma said:
I so agree. That small scene in the manga between askeladd and bjorn really made an impact on how strong their bond is. That's probably why the succeding chapters in the manga regarding bjorn really moved me when i read it. Anyway there is just 4 more episodes to go i think so that's why they are cutting some scenes....

You guys are jumping the gun. That scene wasn't cut, they're just reordering events, as they already announced they would. We'll probably see it at the beginning of episode 22.
AmarantineAzureDec 2, 2019 1:22 AM
Dec 2, 2019 1:19 AM

May 2019
Another near-perfect episode. That scene at the beginning with Floki and Thorfinn passing... so powerful.

The 1000iq conversation with Canute and the King really highlights the character development of Canute.

Askellad is an an amazing character, as always.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Dec 2, 2019 1:50 AM

Feb 2019
I really love Thorfinn's agile fighting style.

It seems the only thing that can trigger Askeladd is if anyone badmouths his mother. And Askeladd is surprisingly kind with Atli back there, especially since he said he hated Danes.

Who was that at the end? That's Leif? I've forgotten his face. Wow, after all this time, he's still searching.
Dec 2, 2019 3:08 AM

Nov 2019
Phobez said:
It seems the only thing that can trigger Askeladd is if anyone badmouths his mother. And Askeladd is surprisingly kind with Atli back there, especially since he said he hated Danes.

Well, we've seen before that Askeladd admires and respects Thors and now Canute, who are also Danes. It seems he has a thing for men unwilling or unsuited to be true vikings, so I would say his charitable gesture towards Atli, telling him to give up the life of a warrior, is in line with what we've seen from his character.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
MonkeyDHunterDec 4, 2019 7:39 AM
Dec 2, 2019 3:40 AM

May 2009
No one gonna talk about how "Bjorn will never be the same again?" I hope to see him again, he was my favorite og Askeladd's crew.
Dec 2, 2019 3:48 AM

Nov 2019
Shoryuuken said:
No one gonna talk about how "Bjorn will never be the same again?" I hope to see him again, he was my favorite og Askeladd's crew.

Bjorn is great, yeah. It's sad it turned out like this, when he was the only one fighting out of loyalty for another in a conflict where everyone was out for themselves.

And don't worry, there's no way they will write a significant character out of the story entirely off-screen like that.
Dec 2, 2019 3:50 AM

Aug 2018
Excellent as usual, the atmosphere changed a bit with the face-to-face between Canute & his father. Loving this part so far !
Dec 2, 2019 4:08 AM
Jun 2015
Take notes My Hero. This is how you do a non action episode. Not having a bunch of random characters sit around a table going blah blah blah for 20 minutes. That's boring af
Dec 2, 2019 4:53 AM

Jul 2016
YggdraSEED said:
this is getting a bit boring, I wanted them to assassinate the king then and there but it looks like it'g gonna take a while before they make their move and it's only a few episodes left

Why go straight to the murder? The political back and forth is what is more intriguing for most people.

How to kill the king while still retaining power and most of the army on side.
Dec 2, 2019 6:13 AM

Nov 2019
Aim1rR said:
Anyway, where is Bjorn? How Askeladd forgot him? xD

Askeladd is aware of his condition, so he clearly hasn't forgotten him. They just didn't show them meeting after the previous battle (yet).
Dec 2, 2019 6:53 AM

Feb 2014
deg said:
lol Canute really became a badass motherfucker he is now be like fuck God and his trials

One of the best quotes right there. The show handled this quite well with all those talk of god and the weight of the crown. Canute changed like a beast.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 2, 2019 7:03 AM

Feb 2014
This episode was one filled with thick tension and a battle of mind. It was marvelous as always. =)

Canute, with Askeladd and Thorfinn by his side, finally came face to face with Sweyn, but they knew that they were surrounded by Sweyn's men, ready to pounce if necessary, so they had to play it as smoothly as possible.

Askeladd's quick wit is as impressive as always, but Sweyn isn't one to back down when things don't go his way at first in this meeting. What took me by surprise was what Sweyn said next to Askeladd. He dropped an insult on Askeladd by suggesting that his mother was a slave and how that was the reason how he was born. Askeladd made one of the angriest facial expressions I've seen in a long time in anime. Even Thorfinn was startled by Askeladd's change of mood as well.

Willibald's new trimmed look is nice on him, but his drinking habit hasn't, though! 57 cups of wine sounds too hard to believe. XD

The talk between Askeladd and Atli was nice. Askeladd was right to tell Atli to move away from the battlefield and settle down to a much calmer life, as well as looking after his brother, whose condition does look worrying.

Either way, the last two episodes have been excellent. I'm liking this new side of Canute even more now and I look forward to seeing more of him next time. =)
Dec 2, 2019 7:04 AM

Jul 2017
Prince Canute, a changed man, on his way to defy the father that abandoned him and his princehood, King Sweyn, even abandoning religion altogether to create Man's Paradise.

The Will of the Crown, the one that controlled King Sweyn and his very actions, is seen as full-on frustration for Askeladd, not just for Canute in confrontation between father and son. And for the king to berate Askeladd even further when he was trying to sweet-talk his way out of the father-son confrontation, that got scary real fast. But to assassinate King Sweyn would take a risk of insane proportions.

Priest Willbald with his beard gone was funny though, appearance alone conveys so much. But Prince Canute's plan has to go sooner or later.

It's sad to see Askeladd's last of his men being sent off by the general himself to be an ordinary citizen to live the life off from the war.

But nevertheless, things must progress, and there's no turning back.
KANLen09Dec 2, 2019 7:17 AM
Dec 2, 2019 11:02 AM

Apr 2015
God has given Canute a chance to stop participating in the war/power struggle and just live a modest life and read the bible. that would have been his salvation (john 3:16, romans 3:23, romans 6:23) but his pride was just that great. this fucker really thinks that just because he knew how to use a keyboard meant that he's a top Goblin Techies player in dota 1 6.83. that's not how it works kid. yes, kid. your pride will be your downfall. your pride is what will burn you in hell.
kidlat020Dec 2, 2019 11:06 AM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Dec 2, 2019 1:37 PM

Aug 2009
My favorite episode, the directing is top quality.
Dec 2, 2019 4:05 PM
Dec 2014
deg said:
lol Canute really became a badass motherfucker he is now be like fuck God and his trials

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mpUj3MD.png[img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/i7Cr2qp.png[img]

This is literally arrogance. Nothing badass about this
Dec 2, 2019 6:03 PM

Oct 2018
Yautja said:
Canute's apparently a Jojo character with those faces now and Thorfinn's Levi with knives with all that spinning.

Season 2 goes full JoJo mode after a certain event.
Dec 2, 2019 6:36 PM

May 2018
Askeladd got triggered so hard this episode lmao
Dec 3, 2019 2:52 AM

Apr 2015
unpopular opinion but I do think this arc is garbage and I'm saying this from a Christian PoV. see my previous post of you must, but Canute is just being an arrogant proud kid just because he knew the indifference of love. pride will be his downfall and I don't blame him if he couldn't see it. his pride blinds him.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
MonkeyDHunterDec 4, 2019 7:48 AM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Dec 3, 2019 3:31 AM

Nov 2019
Preview for episode 21:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXrykasCVxE

There's the Bjorn scene that was missing from this episode. ;)

And damn, the art looks amazing. I keep expecting a budget episode, and this would have been the best candidate out of the last four IMO, but maybe it's all gonna look stellar from now on? Fingers crossed.
Dec 3, 2019 9:54 AM
Nov 2017
kidlat020 said:

unpopular opinion but I do think this arc is garbage and I'm saying this from a Christian PoV. see my previous post of you must, but Canute is just being an arrogant proud kid just because he knew the indifference of love. pride will be his downfall and I don't blame him if he couldn't see it. his pride blinds him.

Well, that is the point. You will get how it is and why the king said "the crown is the one who have a power, not the king" or something like that. Canute isn't growing yet. Well, I really want to spoil it, but just wait for S2. That's why a lot of people said it's just a beginning and farmland arc or whatever the name is the best arc of VN.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
MonkeyDHunterDec 4, 2019 7:48 AM
Dec 3, 2019 11:08 AM

Jul 2016
If only Thorfinn knew Floki is also a person of interest in his revenge. He was the one who planned Thors' assassination after all. Wonder if Thorfinn will ever find out.

Pretty good episode overall. Seeing Askeladd about to lose his temper was quite an intense moment, being honest. So his mother was an slave and not one of his father's random lovers, uh? Interesting.

On a side note, Leif showing up again was also interesting to see but now, the only thing I really REALLY want to know is if Thorfinn's mother and sister are OK...
Dec 3, 2019 12:36 PM

Jul 2019
Another great episode. It seems like Leif will meet Thorfinn in the next episode.

lihle808 said:
Another mediocre episode again. With Canute and his father's boring spat!

Thorfinn has become an eyesore for me, his standing in the show has become contradictory and lackluster. But he can't be worse than Canute though or the lame development of the story.

No matter how much you hype it with words like "great episode" or some fixed ratings, this show is average.
Man I dont even know how you stand watching 20 episodes... clearly not the show for you if you call it boring. Calling it boring isn't a criticism anyway.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
MonkeyDHunterDec 4, 2019 7:35 AM
Dec 3, 2019 6:50 PM
Sep 2018
operationvalkyri said:
Canute's drive is fascinating to witness. It's surprising, though, how easily he can trust and use Askeladd, while Thorfinn, on the other hand, can't let go of his grudge.

Cause Canut has the kingdom, Thorfinn only had his dad when he lost him. So, revenge is justified.
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Dec 3, 2019 7:06 PM

Jul 2015
Dang... Canute makes THE BEST FACES. The boy has grown so much.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Dec 4, 2019 7:04 AM
Jul 2018
Ciezul said:
operationvalkyri said:
Canute's drive is fascinating to witness. It's surprising, though, how easily he can trust and use Askeladd, while Thorfinn, on the other hand, can't let go of his grudge.

Cause Canut has the kingdom, Thorfinn only had his dad when he lost him. So, revenge is justified.
I see it as revenge being justified in either case (without going into the debate of whether revenge is ever justified), but your comment does get me thinking about the stakes of Canute's and Thorfinn's decisions. The former has his kingdom to think of while the latter had only himself. Add to that the fact that Thorfinn was a child when he made the decision.
Dec 4, 2019 7:23 AM
Jul 2018
Great episode! *.*

I still can't believe how Canute changed his behaviors suddenly. I think that he will continue surprising me in the upcoming episodes :)

Dec 4, 2019 7:44 AM

Sep 2014
Thread Cleaned

All the abusive and trolling posts have been removed. Abuse and trolling aren't allowed on the forums.
Site & Forum Guidelines Rule I.3: Trolling, abuse and/or harassment of any community member (user or moderator) will not be tolerated.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.