Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 10, 2019 8:26 AM

Oct 2018
I would call myself an Otaku but Weeb? No fucking idea since people have 5000 different definitions of what a weeaboo is.
Nov 10, 2019 9:00 AM

Aug 2019
Swiggy said:
"Weeaboo" is not a word you should want to identify with. The definition comes with some implications that I'm not down with.
I don't consider myself a weeaboo and am not too fine with others referring to me as such.

My manager asked us to design pumpkins for Halloween, so I made a very tiny Link (LoZ) pumpkin since I had planned to dress up as Link for Halloween. So this guy came in on Halloween and saw my pumpkin. He was pretty excited about it, but then he turned to me, who ended up dressing up as a Mahou Shota instead of Link (my Link cosplay was in the wash), and asked, "We're you the one who made this pumpkin?" I confirmed this. He then lit up and said, "I knew it! I knew it had to be you! It takes a weeb to know a weeb!"

I usually sound pretty friendly at work, but I dipped into "octave: sarcasm" and said, "Sure". I then didn't say another word more to him as he stood there expecting me to freak out in joy over a fellow "weeb" being in my presence. I could have said something else, but I was trying not to get fired over blowing up over this guy-- though I was working the store alone at the time so I guess I could have and just expected it to come back up another day, but why risk it? But anyway...

First off, if you're an actual weeb then I'd rather keep my distance from you. If you're dismissing cultures in favor of Japanese culture then you're dissing my culture too and that's just disrespectful. I've dealt with folks who said stuff like, "We can go to Japan so you can get away from that ghetto culture you're a part of". Like, jfc, that's so bad. So introducing yourself as a weeb even if you just mean it as alternative for "anime fan"? Heck no.

Second, there are a lot of people who come in to the shop who have anime merch-- some don't even know what anime their merch is from. If I talk to every rando who comes in trying to talk about Attack on Titan or whatever the heck else anime I don't actually give a crap about then I'd never get work done... not that there's much work to be done. I'd probably get fired for talking so much crap about their favorite anime too. Also, nothing kills your favorite holiday than having to work during the holiday festivities and being called a weeb as if it's a compliment as you stand there ringing up scantrons and you just want to friggen trick-or-treat like the grown ass 26 year old you are.

But anyway no, OP. I'm not a weeaboo. I used to be borderline, but I saved myself before going too deep and now I've explored so much more of my own culture and other cultures. There was a point where I really was not fond of myself and my background because others around me would constantly see me and my background as inferior. Because of that, I actively distanced myself from my culture. I've grown a lot though and learned so much about myself, my family, other cultures, and so on. I'm glad I was able to connect to my roots and become way more comfortable with who I am. I don't find Japan to be some magical advanced society or something, but I do still enjoy anime and such. I used to kinda think that Japan was a country that could do no wrong and so I would come up with so many excuses for Japan on nearly everything. However, now I'm at that point where I know that Japan, like most countries, is not perfect. At all. It's great to be grounded in reality and be able to actually sit there and pick things apart. You can distinguish a countries strengths from their faults instead of just thinking everything is just so great all the time.

I also get pretty excited when I see someone else watches anime, is that really that bad of a thing you make it out be?
Nov 10, 2019 9:09 AM

Mar 2019
actuallyaadhi said:
Swiggy said:
"Weeaboo" is not a word you should want to identify with. The definition comes with some implications that I'm not down with.
I don't consider myself a weeaboo and am not too fine with others referring to me as such.

My manager asked us to design pumpkins for Halloween, so I made a very tiny Link (LoZ) pumpkin since I had planned to dress up as Link for Halloween. So this guy came in on Halloween and saw my pumpkin. He was pretty excited about it, but then he turned to me, who ended up dressing up as a Mahou Shota instead of Link (my Link cosplay was in the wash), and asked, "We're you the one who made this pumpkin?" I confirmed this. He then lit up and said, "I knew it! I knew it had to be you! It takes a weeb to know a weeb!"

I usually sound pretty friendly at work, but I dipped into "octave: sarcasm" and said, "Sure". I then didn't say another word more to him as he stood there expecting me to freak out in joy over a fellow "weeb" being in my presence. I could have said something else, but I was trying not to get fired over blowing up over this guy-- though I was working the store alone at the time so I guess I could have and just expected it to come back up another day, but why risk it? But anyway...

First off, if you're an actual weeb then I'd rather keep my distance from you. If you're dismissing cultures in favor of Japanese culture then you're dissing my culture too and that's just disrespectful. I've dealt with folks who said stuff like, "We can go to Japan so you can get away from that ghetto culture you're a part of". Like, jfc, that's so bad. So introducing yourself as a weeb even if you just mean it as alternative for "anime fan"? Heck no.

Second, there are a lot of people who come in to the shop who have anime merch-- some don't even know what anime their merch is from. If I talk to every rando who comes in trying to talk about Attack on Titan or whatever the heck else anime I don't actually give a crap about then I'd never get work done... not that there's much work to be done. I'd probably get fired for talking so much crap about their favorite anime too. Also, nothing kills your favorite holiday than having to work during the holiday festivities and being called a weeb as if it's a compliment as you stand there ringing up scantrons and you just want to friggen trick-or-treat like the grown ass 26 year old you are.

But anyway no, OP. I'm not a weeaboo. I used to be borderline, but I saved myself before going too deep and now I've explored so much more of my own culture and other cultures. There was a point where I really was not fond of myself and my background because others around me would constantly see me and my background as inferior. Because of that, I actively distanced myself from my culture. I've grown a lot though and learned so much about myself, my family, other cultures, and so on. I'm glad I was able to connect to my roots and become way more comfortable with who I am. I don't find Japan to be some magical advanced society or something, but I do still enjoy anime and such. I used to kinda think that Japan was a country that could do no wrong and so I would come up with so many excuses for Japan on nearly everything. However, now I'm at that point where I know that Japan, like most countries, is not perfect. At all. It's great to be grounded in reality and be able to actually sit there and pick things apart. You can distinguish a countries strengths from their faults instead of just thinking everything is just so great all the time.

I also get pretty excited when I see someone else watches anime, is that really that bad of a thing you make it out be?

Its not that bad, he is just deeply insecure about his identity as an anime fan.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2019 9:22 AM

Nov 2017
no, anime isn't my only defining personality trait, and its not the only thing i want to talk about. like anime is definitely one of my favorite things, but i'm not completely obsessed with it to the point that its all i want to do or talk about.
Nov 10, 2019 11:58 AM
Mar 2018
No. I don't believe that I need some word attached to me just to define something I'm interested in.
Nov 10, 2019 12:19 PM

Jun 2015
i only use the word weeb on myself ironically. i do not actually identify as such and i dont see how anyone on all their senses would do so.

"weeaboo" has always been used to mean a non-japanese person who's overly obsessed in japanese culture. i actually used to be one in hindsight and using japanese words mid-sentence and engaging in online debates of why anime is better than anything else are memories of mine i just want to drift away from.

I AM THE ONE CALLED POWER!
ANIME LIST  🩸 MANGA LIST  🩸 CARDS  🩸 CHALLENGES 
How foolish and conceited these humans be... 

Nov 10, 2019 4:15 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
FlowersInTheRain said:
@swiggy
I hear you. I appreciate many cultures including my own. My problem though is that my parents decided not to teach me about their home countries Nigeria and jamaica. Makes things difficult when a person from one of those nations recognises me as one of their own but I cannot properly communicate with them.
Same here. I actually had to seek out information about my cultures. Hopefully you can learn more! Sounds tough!;;

actuallyaadhi said:
Of course not, buddy. The point I was trying to make with that story was the "not too fine with others referring to me as [a weeaboo]" part.

"Weeb" is a really rude thing to call someone, so it was more that I wasn't okay with that.
So in addition to that, like I said, people come in with anime merch and talk about anime all the time (I'm also a Japanese major, always surrounded by anime fans), so I don't get as excited as others do about seeing other anime fans-- especially when they come in calling you a "weeb". It also stops me from working, as I said, so I don't really have time to talk to everyone trying to talk about anime-- and sometimes I just don't always want to. I especially don't want to if they start out calling me a "weeb" on my favorite holiday of which I have to work.

Still, if he wants to come back in, I'd say please feel free to come in, not call me a weeb, and just talk about anime if it's not busy (which it was). BUT ALSO, I've got some strong opinions about anime sometimes, so careful, ha hah!

Ryuk9428 said:
actuallyaadhi said:

It's not that bad, he is just deeply insecure about his identity as an anime fan.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me or the guy in the shop who labelled himself by the derogatory term "weeb" (when he probably wasn't one) which is, indeed, self-deprecating and insecure.

If you're referring to me, then not at all. If there's anything I've been secure about, it's been my identity as an anime fan. As you can see, I'm secure enough to not accept such a self-deprecating label for the sake of irony.

The point was that I'm just especially less inclined to speak to an anime watcher who, upon meeting me, calls me a "weeb". That's just not cool to me. And like I said, anime watchers come in all the time. I don't have time to, nor want to, speak to all of them, especially if they come in calling me a "weeb", which is rude.
It has nothing to do with any insecurities.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Nov 10, 2019 5:10 PM

Mar 2018
Yep, been to conventions own a collection of figures lol have bookshelves dedicated to both Light Novels and Manga. I struggle to watch anime as of late, most of my time is actually dedicated to reading now lol. I just can't find any real reason to watch something that will 99% of the time have less content than the books.

Lately I've been struggling soo much trying to visit another convention too rip, I am literally emptying my wallet on novels lol. I had the chance to visit Japan recently which I spent literally the last bits of my money on novels. Seirei Gensouki will always remain one of my favorites though. Ahem* got a bit off topic there but yea I'd consider myself a weeb
Nov 10, 2019 5:23 PM

Mar 2011
I've tried to be but according to others I'm far from. Now it's a goal that I'm failing at attaining lol
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Nov 10, 2019 5:56 PM

Nov 2008
Swiggy said:

Same here.

I was probably in the 'horrible cringe phase' from 12 to 20...but then I grew up. :/ lol

Nov 10, 2019 8:07 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Chiibi said:
Swiggy said:

Same here.

I was probably in the 'horrible cringe phase' from 12 to 20...but then I grew up. :/ lol
Dang, that's a long time, but hey it's all good!
I think my phase was from about late 2005 to 2008/2009. I was at least not hyperactive anymore by the time 2008 came around, but Hetalia actually got me out of that phase completely. But before Hetalia, I was like, "I'm gonna be a mangaka in Japan!"

Chosen_Undead said:
Lately I've been struggling soo much trying to visit another convention too rip, I am literally emptying my wallet on novels lol. I had the chance to visit Japan recently which I spent literally the last bits of my money on novels. Seirei Gensouki will always remain one of my favorites though. Ahem* got a bit off topic there but yea I'd consider myself a weeb
Have you looked to see if there are any free/really cheap cons around you? If you live in the U.S., it's as if every state has at least one-- or a state that's nearby will have one. Community colleges and universities are starting to host more and more cons! Heck, I'd even help you look for some if I could. Good luck!

Nov 10, 2019 8:16 PM

Oct 2014
No. I'm a fairly hardcore anime fan and have been into it for most of my life, but I would never consider myself a weeb. If I use weeb in any context, it'll only be ironically.

I've noticed that newer and casual fans or just younger people in general tend to like to use the word to mean an anime fan now instead of its intended meaning. Call me a grumpy old fart, but I don't care for it and I don't understand why people use it unironically. In my earlier years in the anime community, I don't really recall anyone using weeb to refer themselves as anime fans. I think even otaku would be more preferable.
Nov 10, 2019 8:39 PM

Nov 2008
Swiggy said:
But before Hetalia, I was like, "I'm gonna be a mangaka in Japan!"

Lol I wanted to be one too. xD But I accepted that dream was really unrealistic so I'm satisfied with drawing comics online...living in the USA.

I still might travel to Japan to do something else though...like I hear teaching English pays very well and I would love to live there just for a change of pace since I understand the language pretty well.

Nov 10, 2019 9:13 PM

Sep 2018
even though i’m not technically a “weeaboo” and want to avoid the negative shit that comes with it, i call myself one pretty often as a joke. but more often i just call myself an anime fan and get on with my day, cuz that’s all i am really
Nov 10, 2019 10:29 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Pyro said:
No. I'm a fairly hardcore anime fan and have been into it for most of my life, but I would never consider myself a weeb. If I use weeb in any context, it'll only be ironically.

I've noticed that newer and casual fans or just younger people in general tend to like to use the word to mean an anime fan now instead of its intended meaning. Call me a grumpy old fart, but I don't care for it and I don't understand why people use it unironically. In my earlier years in the anime community, I don't really recall anyone using weeb to refer themselves as anime fans. I think even otaku would be more preferable.
Same on everything. Not only do they use it as a substitute for "anime fan", but it seems they think it's only a derogatory term for an anime fan when there's a lot more to it than that.
Long ago, I would sometimes see people call themselves a weeaboo, but as soon as they learned what a weeaboo actually was they'd drop it.

Chiibi said:
Swiggy said:
But before Hetalia, I was like, "I'm gonna be a mangaka in Japan!"

Lol I wanted to be one too. xD But I accepted that dream was really unrealistic so I'm satisfied with drawing comics online...living in the USA.

I still might travel to Japan to do something else though...like I hear teaching English pays very well and I would love to live there just for a change of pace since I understand the language pretty well.
Omg! XD I mean hey, it's doable though! Just gotta get Japanese citizenship and then get to work on manga.

Yeah! Go for it! It's kinda cool since most programs only want you to have a bachelor's degree in anything! The degree doesn't even have to be English, Japanese, or anything related to teaching English in Japan. They don't need you to have teaching credentials or anything! Depending on the program, they'll pay for your health insurance, give you a monthly stipend, go half on your rent, and all types of stuff. Actually, since I'm a Japanese major, they occasionally send me info on programs like those, so I can always send you whatever they send me. Just lemme know! Some of the programs are based in sister cities of surrounding California cities, but I don't think applicants have to live in California or anything!

Nov 10, 2019 11:41 PM

Mar 2013
yes i'm a weeb!
i wantt to live in Japan, and i've seen more than 150 animes · · ·
and when i laugh i type : wwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Nov 11, 2019 1:40 AM

Nov 2019
In the traditional sense no but 2019 definition yeah. Anime is worth being a weeb for so I don't mind.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Nov 11, 2019 2:11 AM

Jan 2010
imeli said:
I'm definitely a weeb. For sure. As I am getting close to having 100 different anime watched, I have spent countless hours as an adult being entertained by Japanese cartoons.

What about you? How much of a weeb are you? Don't lie to yourself, be honest on this post!

Please define first what are the indicator of being a weeb?

I for one don't consider myself a weeb.
Even MAL ppl that have more than 1000 in their completed list doesn't mean they are weeb tbh.
Nov 11, 2019 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
Definitely nope, I only watch anime for the stories and characters. There are times when I suddenly get bored with anime, so I watched Soap Opera/K-drama to cure my boredom. Also, being a weeb is very cringy for me so I refuse to be a part of them.
Nov 11, 2019 6:31 AM

Jan 2019
sadly, yes. I consider myself as one.
End me
Nov 11, 2019 6:53 AM
Oct 2019
Sphinxter said:
Also, I use the glorious Nihon-Siki romanization of the Japanese language, and in fact am of the camp that Japan should itself switch to romanization
Back in high school, and through several encyclopedia (paper, not online, if that matters), I've been told that they tried and they "failed".
Nov 11, 2019 6:56 AM
Aug 2015
No you are not xP the fact that you like japanese animation does not make you a weeb .... you are just a fan of japanese animation ...
Nov 11, 2019 11:00 AM

Mar 2019
AliXiah said:
Sphinxter said:
Also, I use the glorious Nihon-Siki romanization of the Japanese language, and in fact am of the camp that Japan should itself switch to romanization
Back in high school, and through several encyclopedia (paper, not online, if that matters), I've been told that they tried and they "failed".
"they tried" in the same way that "America has been trying to switch to metric" — as in, there was always a not-insignificant majority of intellectuals that advocated it, but the bourgeois traditionalists have always fought against it, and advocated keeping a needlessly archaic, impractical, and senseless system for the sake of "It's our tradition!".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese#As_a_replacement_for_the_Japanese_writing_system.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 17, 2019 7:16 AM

Mar 2018
Swiggy said:
Chiibi said:

Same here.

Dang, that's a long time, but hey it's all good!
I think my phase was from about late 2005 to 2008/2009. I was at least not hyperactive anymore by the time 2008 came around, but Hetalia actually got me out of that phase completely. But before Hetalia, I was like, "I'm gonna be a mangaka in Japan!"

Chosen_Undead said:
Have you looked to see if there are any free/really cheap cons around you? If you live in the U.S., it's as if every state has at least one-- or a state that's nearby will have one. Community colleges and universities are starting to host more and more cons! Heck, I'd even help you look for some if I could. Good luck!

Thanks! I do have one nearby but it's like a 2 hour drive and I need to save up lol
Nov 17, 2019 4:51 PM

Jun 2014
I only ever call myself a weeb in a joking manner. I have only ever been to one cosplay convention, although I would love to attend more, but have never actually done cosplaying myself.

I don't really wish to be Japanese or try to imitate their culture. The only "weebish" thing about me is that I happen to generally prefer Japanese media and entertainment over Western entertainment.
Nov 17, 2019 4:55 PM

Feb 2010
I'm just here for the anime. just like i just watch cartoon's for the show's themsleves.

or read novels made in Britain for the story.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 17, 2019 4:58 PM

Nov 2019
now let me educate you, you iliterate plebians.

xenophillia > japonphillia > wapanese (wa-(nnabe ja-)panase > 4chan filter = weaaboo (the guys who shame wapaneses > weeb, a short form of the word

as you can see, the definition of the word weeaboo is someone who should not be invested in but should not be spoken of either (comics) and is thus used as a filter word to banish those shame japonphiles as wapaneses

Nov 17, 2019 5:25 PM

Mar 2019
xServantx said:
Not at all, a weeb, in definition, is when a non-Japanese person is engrossed with Japanese culture that they wish they were Japanese themselves. Often regarding other cultures to be inferior to the Japanese culture.

So no, watching 100 different anime, or any other number of animes doesn't make you a weeb per-say. You can still enjoy the culture, watch anime, or do other Japanese related stuff without being a weeb.
What is it called when a Japanese person believes such things?

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 17, 2019 5:40 PM

Feb 2019
Sphinxter said:
xServantx said:
Not at all, a weeb, in definition, is when a non-Japanese person is engrossed with Japanese culture that they wish they were Japanese themselves. Often regarding other cultures to be inferior to the Japanese culture.

So no, watching 100 different anime, or any other number of animes doesn't make you a weeb per-say. You can still enjoy the culture, watch anime, or do other Japanese related stuff without being a weeb.
I have consulted with various experts, wandered through tulip fields and I believe to have found the answer: nationalists.
Nov 18, 2019 12:11 AM

Oct 2017
By the actual definition no (not the self deprecating term which just means I watch/read a lot of anime/manga or have a lot of merch). I am pretty happy with who I am and love my culture. While I do think Japan does have some pros it has also many cons. While I enjoy Japanese pop culture I don't want to live there maybe visit once. Honestly I just say I am a fan of anime/manga or Japanese animation and comics. I don't get the need to have a certain term to just express you like x.
Nov 18, 2019 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
xServantx said:

As @Kosmonaut answered, the logical thing I could come up with is Nationalist
Nov 18, 2019 1:44 AM

Mar 2019
xServantx said:
Sphinxter said:

But Japanese nationalists typically advocate use of the Nihon-Siki system and not the Hepburn system, for no other reason than that the former was invented by a Japanese, whereas weebs always use Hepburn, for no other reason than that they typically know not that the former exists, nor of its superiority.

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 18, 2019 2:38 AM

Mar 2018
I just ate some pocky earlier for the first time today.

I'm starting to blur the line between weeb and degenerate...

"Ehehehe.....I did my best!" - Pururut
Nov 19, 2019 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
xServantx said:

But Japanese nationalists typically advocate use of the Nihon-Siki system and not the Hepburn system, for no other reason than that the former was invented by a Japanese, whereas weebs always use Hepburn, for no other reason than that they typically know not that the former exists, nor of its superiority.

Then what do you call a Japanese person who believes such things?
Nov 20, 2019 3:15 AM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
No because I'm not a dork about my enjoyment of anime. I haven't bought any merchandise and I don't gush about anime in public with other people (most friends I've had probably don't even know I watch it). Of course I've certainly watched a crap load of it, but that's more so because I often need something to watch while working out or doing a monotonous activity (to me that's no different than if I had chosen to watch any other form of entertainment during that time).

Not that's not to say there's anything wrong with having bought anime related merchandise or having watched hundreds of shows or having talked in public on occasion with your friends about the coolest new series. But to me a weeb is someone who takes these things to the extreme like owning a shelf full of figurines or gushing about anime in a cringey way with little self awareness in public or watching so much anime that it gets in the way of spending their time productively accomplishing important milestones in life furthering their career.

So whilst I do consider myself a more avid viewer than most, I don't think I'm a weeb in the slightest (certainly less than most). Just someone who's enjoyed a lot of anime in their free time.
KyotosomoNov 20, 2019 3:22 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - 9 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

27 by hypergoob »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
31 minutes ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

13 by hypergoob »»
36 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.