Forum Settings
Forums

Criticisms of specific anime you disagree with?

New
Sep 18, 2019 3:15 AM
Jul 2018
For example, a majority of people agree that the 1st half of Steins; Gate was very uninteresting, especially the first episode. I completely disagree with this opinion; when I tried watching Steins; Gate as an adult again, I found the first episode to be a great hook, and the 1st half to be really interesting.

A lot of people also agree that Fate/Zero's first episode is not that great, but I thought it was fantastic once I rewatched it as an adult, as it encapsulated a lot of what I think makes Fate/Zero great; emotional weight, character motivations, different engaging perspectives.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 18, 2019 4:01 AM
Jul 2018
Possibly the best answer I could find is that shows like MHA and Demon Slayer are criticized to be an "average shonen". But I highly disagree because of reasons. While I do agree that they may have straightforward plots that could have predictable outcomes (Deku turns into the ultimate hero and Nezuko turns back into human again), what makes them good is not about reaching the goal, but the journey that Deku and Tanjiro goes through as well as the enjoyment and the characters that the series has. Also, they are animated by very good studios who knows how to handle good animation well.

Another example I could think of is Darling in the Franxx's second half.

One more I can think of is the addition of comedic expressions in anime that do not necessarily dubbed as "comedy anime". Specifically shows like Demon Slayer, Fullmetal Alchemist and Bungou Stray Dogs for example. Some people find them out of place. But I thought the addition of those expressions can make it more enjoyable. Well for me that is.

Mod edit: Added spoiler tags
FancyjasperNov 20, 2019 4:20 AM
Sep 18, 2019 4:27 AM

Jul 2019
Mob Psycho artstyle not being entertaining.
The thing is the artstyle suits it's story so it doesn't need one punch man artstyle. Also people confuse artstyle with animation whereas in actual, animation is great + in regards to art style I would say that artstyle which fits its story is also great.
puneetsinghSep 18, 2019 8:58 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Sep 18, 2019 4:36 AM

Oct 2018
You’d be surprised at the amount of people I see criticise Konosuba for having an rpg setting and being an isekai. Could it be that it was perhaps part of the reason it was a parody???

Sep 18, 2019 5:08 AM

Jul 2019
Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few that appreciate all the episodes of Darling in the Franxx and didn't mind how it ended. I can't really explain it. I just liked it even if I understand where most people are coming from.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 18, 2019 5:19 AM

Jun 2013
That the ending of Clannad after story was a deus ex machina.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2019 5:38 AM

Oct 2010
People complain about Raki from Claymore being an obnoxious brat who clings to Clare like a parasite, they hate him almost on par with Priscilla. I like him, he was little when Clare took him under her protective bosom and he even prevented Clare in the holy city to awaken. I say he has merits. Sure, he cries and he befriended Priscilla but he wanted to help the monster and he worked and thought only for his beloved angel Clare. He's a great guy.
Sep 18, 2019 5:45 AM

Jul 2019
Thanjh said:
People saying Death Note got bad after
but I was still as interested and enjoyed it just as much as before.
I won't say that it become bad or shit but sure it somewhat become from pretty highly good to good type.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Sep 18, 2019 5:48 AM
Feb 2017
I liked the first half is S;G too, guess were the only woke ones.

Code Geass has a good art style (and same for Mob) what are you children talking about?
Sep 18, 2019 5:54 AM

Apr 2019
In School Days, each and every character deserves your hatred to some degree, and is acting in moronic ways. Most people stop here, and hate the anime for that. However, writing characters this way isn't really easy, and the watcher's negative emotions are triggered very well. That's quite a writing achievement, because I don't think this happens by accident. And the finale is, of course, peak absurdity - also not easy to achieve.

Sep 18, 2019 5:56 AM

Jun 2015
Sep 18, 2019 5:57 AM

Mar 2018
Thanjh said:
People saying Death Note got bad after
but I was still as interested and enjoyed it just as much as before.
I honestly hated the quality drop after that part. But to each their own I guess.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 18, 2019 6:00 AM

Jun 2014
As someone who hates critics, I disagree with nearly all criticism.

There's nothing I hate more, than people who take good Anime, and try to find things that are wrong with it.

Sep 18, 2019 6:00 AM

Mar 2018
Thanjh said:
BlakexEkalb said:
I liked the first half is S;G too, guess were the only woke ones.

Code Geass has a good art style (and same for Mob) what are you children talking about?
People didn’t like code geass’ art style? That art style is great in general let alone considering the year it was made in
First I disliked it to such an extent that I dropped it after the first ep but after a few months time I came back to give it another try and got used to it pretty quickly. Didn't mind it afterwards.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 18, 2019 6:01 AM

Mar 2018
Seiya said:

There's nothing I hate more, than people who take good Anime, and try to find things that are wrong with it.
Oh don't go portraying us as the devil incarnate.

Sep 18, 2019 6:02 AM

Jun 2014
Luchse said:
Seiya said:

Lol.

I just don't like people with critical mindsets. Just enjoy the Anime, instead of trying to find things wrong with it.

Sep 18, 2019 6:05 AM

Mar 2018
Seiya said:
Luchse said:

Lol.

I just don't like people with critical mindsets. Just enjoy the Anime, instead of trying to find things wrong with it.
I do get your point but for me theres enjoyment to be had in watching and criticizing as well.

Sep 18, 2019 6:07 AM

Jun 2014
Luchse said:
Seiya said:

Lol.

I do get your point but for me theres enjoyment to be had in watching and criticizing as well.

Well, that's your opinion, but I'll never develop the critical mindset that some people here have, and that's why I never want to see 1000 Anime, because most people who have seen that many Anime are too critical of what they watch.

Sep 18, 2019 6:14 AM

Mar 2018
Seiya said:
Luchse said:

Well, that's your opinion, but I'll never develop the critical mindset that some people here have, and that's why I never want to see 1000 Anime, because most people who have seen that many Anime are too critical of what they watch.
Their taste forms after that much and they crave for that one show that does not exist. Thats why everything that does not suit their liking gets criticized. I believe I fit in this group as well even tho i'm far from hiting the 1000 watched mark.

Sep 18, 2019 6:16 AM

Jun 2014
Luchse said:
Seiya said:

Their taste forms after that much and they crave for that one show that does not exist. Thats why everything that does not suit their liking gets criticized. I believe I fit in this group as well even tho i'm far from hiting the 1000 watched mark.

That's rather unfortunate.

Anyway, let's just not discuss Anime to each other anymore.

Sep 18, 2019 6:17 AM
Jan 2017
TheKawaiiToon said:
While I do agree that they may have straightforward plots that could have predictable outcomes
I agree, simple and straightforward doesn't necessarily mean average just as it doesn't mean easy. There are too many variables to characterize a series only by this factor. MHA is really enjoyable and very well made although the story is about some heroes wannabe(which isn't that "original").
Sep 18, 2019 6:21 AM

Jul 2019
Seiya said:
Luchse said:

You are critical also, aren't you Seiya?
Sep 18, 2019 6:23 AM
Jan 2017
That Black Clover is trash. It has really interesting characters and plot. The magic is also really cool and I believe pretty well thought out.
People complain about Asta screaming like a retarded kid, but it really is whatever for me. Think about how stupidly retarded was Naruto... it's kind of the same thing.
It's a really good series that I look forward to every week.
Sep 18, 2019 6:23 AM
Apr 2016
TheKawaiiToon said:
Possibly the best answer I could find is that shows like MHA and Demon Slayer are criticized to be an "average shonen". But I highly disagree because of reasons. While I do agree that they may have straightforward plots that could have predictable outcomes (Deku turns into the ultimate hero and Nezuko turns back into human again), what makes them good is not about reaching the goal, but the journey that Deku and Tanjiro goes through as well as the enjoyment and the characters that the series has. Also, they are animated by very good studios who knows how to handle good animation well.

I disagree. It isn't because of the straightforward story that it's dubbed "average". It's the characters. Demon Slayer's characters are endearing and fun to watch, but they aren't very well-developed or interesting (I suppose as a manga reader I am biased since I know what happens later). Also they get tossed aside very quickly without contributing much to the plot (i.e. Tamayo and Yushiro, Urokodaki, Sabito and Makomo). Shounen series like Haikyuu also has a fairly straightforward sports anime narrative, but no one calls it an "average" shounen because the character development and presentation of themes is done very cohesively and builds on each other.

Kimetsu's way of developing characters is repetitive with tragic flashbacks for every single character, and the pacing of the anime is seriously slow. Character arcs like Zenitsu's don't really build onto the overall theme of empathy unlike Haikyuu where seemingly "typical" character arcs you'd see in a lot of sports anime series build onto overall themes. The "monsters have feelings too" theme has been done to death by shounen including HxH Chimera Ant Arc which presented it with more dimensions. I am not caught up with MHA Season 3 and the series is obviously made to be long running so I cannot comment, but thus far MHA has more potential for better character and thematic depth.

Of course, there are shounen with not so well written characters like Dr Stone, but still manages to be a decent, entertaining show you watch without needing to think too much. The premise mystery of petrification is interesting, the RPG-like plot progression is satisfying and the comedy is hilarious, that's it. It doesn't try to be deep. You don't see this steady plot progression with small, satisfying goals in Kimetsu, which is why it seems to drag on.
ireallywantcakeSep 18, 2019 6:30 AM
Sep 18, 2019 6:24 AM

Jul 2017
Steins;Gate's first episode, while confusing, setted up things masterfully and managed to engage me to watch the rest with its mystery and suspense. I just can't understand why many people say it's bad.

Many people criticize Toradora because of having a violent tsundere as the protagonist and, while I agree that she can be annoying at times, the anime itself has a really interesting plot and character development.
Sep 18, 2019 6:25 AM

Jun 2014
puneetsingh said:
Seiya said:

Would you care to explain how?

If I'm watching an Anime that I'm enjoying, I'm not going to try to find stuff about it to complain about.

If I see an Anime that I hate, it's not exactly the same thing, because I simply disliked everything about that Anime. I'm not purposely trying to find things that are wrong with it.

Sep 18, 2019 6:49 AM
Jan 2019
I disagree with people who say that the ending of Erased was bad.
Sep 18, 2019 6:53 AM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:

If I'm watching an Anime that I'm enjoying, I'm not going to try to find stuff about it to complain about.

If I see an Anime that I hate, it's not exactly the same thing, because I simply disliked everything about that Anime. I'm not purposely trying to find things that are wrong with it.

Your notion of criticism is so broken that it demands criticism.

Firstly, there's no such thing as "just watching" an anime and finding it enjoyable or not. That would be akin to rolling a dice to determine if you like it or not. There's always something that you pay attention to. Things that you can ignore and things that you can't. You have preferences, political views , expectations, personal experiences etc. All of that influences how you perceive art whether you're aware of it or not. You don't just watch it, you interpret it and judge it's value before you even realize it.

Secondly, criticism isn't about trying to find or fabricate flaws. There are two main purposes in every critique of any piece of entertainment. The internal purpose is to come to an understanding of your experience with the work. Why it did or didn't work for you. The second is an external or social purpose. When you criticize, you communicate with others in order to express your opinion and have them understand you. So you write or talk about the work using the exact same criteria that influenced your perception of said piece of entertainment.

To sum up, you're always critical, because you couldn't feel anything if you weren't. You have to apply some standards to find something good/bad or mediocre and that's exactly what "being critical" is. You can only keep yourself unaware of your own criticism
Sep 18, 2019 6:56 AM

Jun 2014
squirrvev said:
Seiya said:

Firstly, there's no such thing as "just watching" an anime and finding it enjoyable or not. That would be akin to rolling a dice to determine if you like it or not. There's always something that you pay attention to. Things that you can ignore and things that you can't. You have preferences, political views , expectations, personal experiences etc. All of that influences how you perceive art whether you're aware of it or not. You don't just watch it, you interpret it and judge it's value before you even realize it.

Secondly, criticism isn't about trying to find or fabricate flaws. There are two main purposes in every critique of any piece of entertainment. The internal purpose is to come to an understanding of your experience with the work. Why it did or didn't work for you. The second is an external or social purpose. When you criticize, you communicate with others in order to express your opinion and have them understand you. So you write or talk about the work using the exact same criteria that influenced your perception of said piece of entertainment.

To sum up, you're always critical, because you couldn't feel anything if you weren't. You have to apply some standards to find something good/bad or mediocre and that's exactly what "being critical" is. You can only keep yourself unaware of your own criticism

Sorry, but I don't agree with anything you've said.

Sep 18, 2019 7:00 AM

Apr 2019
Seiya said:
squirrvev said:
Brilliantly fleshed out opinion statement. I start to see why you don't like people who can back their opinions with those nasty "words".

Sep 18, 2019 7:08 AM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:

This is not something that you can simply disagree with and leave it at that. Your brain works that way and there's nothing you can do about it. Also, even if there were quality particles that you could detect and measure the shows value, you'd still have to argue over what amount of them makes art good. That would, of course, require you to justify your own opinion and find a reason to reject other options. This means that you'd have to rely on criticism
Sep 18, 2019 7:16 AM

May 2018
ShadowMonkey said:
Any shounen criticized for being a shounen

This "criticism" usually means that the show is unremarkable and uninspired rendition of some shounen cliches...not that there shouldn't exist any titles for the shounen demographic

I think that @Seiya kind of forgets that there is also a positive from of criticism.
Usually you will expect a genuine critic to speak about what is good and what is bad in certain show than how those qualities balance each other.
Sep 18, 2019 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
Tsukizono said:

Of course, there are shounen with not so well written characters like Dr Stone, but still manages to be a decent, entertaining show you watch without needing to think too much. The premise mystery of petrification is interesting, the RPG-like plot progression is satisfying and the comedy is hilarious, that's it. It doesn't try to be deep. You don't see this steady plot progression with small, satisfying goals in Kimetsu, which is why it seems to drag on.

I understand why certain anime are criticized for not having enough character development, but most anime really don't have character development. I think it's enough for an anime's characters to just be entertaining without being too quirky. However, in the case of drama anime like 91 Days, I think character development is absolutely necessary, since those kind of anime's main selling point is trying to get you to feel for the characters. However, in the case of anime like Dr. Stone, the characters aren't the main selling point.
Sep 18, 2019 7:23 AM
Mar 2018
AbsurdistOtaku said:
For example, a majority of people agree that the 1st half of Steins; Gate was very uninteresting, especially the first episode. I completely disagree with this opinion; when I tried watching Steins; Gate as an adult again, I found the first episode to be a great hook, and the 1st half to be really interesting.

Uh ig thats how it is for everyone who rewatches Steins;Gate, you already know what's gonna happen later, so the initial episodes make a lot of sense
Sep 18, 2019 7:24 AM
Jul 2016
OPM S2 although the season wasn't in par with S1's levels but it wasn't that bad people expected much so they got disappointed and butthurted lmao and it doesn't deserve the hate it's getting and should be on the production committee more which their Higher ups were Banadi and TV Tokyo only and J.C.Staff were just hired to work with them and have to agree or they’ll lose their trustworthy relationship with them which will cause them losses and anime studios are like boats that can sink easily from any bad decisions
Sep 18, 2019 7:43 AM
Apr 2017
People who describe opm2 to be worse in every possible way compared to s1 (more often than not with the critical acuity of a brain-damaged orangutan). So far as characters go, I found s2 to be miles ahead of the first, where everyone was pretty much a comic relief (or unfathomably predictable and boring, hi mumen rider). Not that there's anything wrong with that either (I do like s1 quite a lot more than s2) but having compelling characters is prefereable in my view.

AbsurdistOtaku said:

Yeah, watched it AGAIN. Obviously you found it to be a great hook, you can't objectively watch the first episode of Stains;Gate as if it were your first time, that's how reality works.
I never read of "first half of Steins;Gate was boring"theory but I definitely do think the first episode was really slow. As someone with no knowledge whatsoever of the series, the episode didn't exactly scream "KEEP WATCHING" to me. Props to people who found it to be good, I guess.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Sep 18, 2019 7:44 AM

Jan 2009
Darling in the FranXX has the worst final episode ever like come on its average but not the worst kind you are just expecting more
Sep 18, 2019 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
Steiner1411 said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:

Uh ig thats how it is for everyone who rewatches Steins;Gate, you already know what's gonna happen later, so the initial episodes make a lot of sense

Actually, the 1st time I watched Steins; Gate was when I was a kid, probably...15? Back then, I dropped Steins; Gate after probably 2 episodes, so rewatching ep 1 as an adult, I had no clue what to expect.
Sep 18, 2019 8:14 AM
Apr 2016
AbsurdistOtaku said:

I understand why certain anime are criticized for not having enough character development, but most anime really don't have character development. I think it's enough for an anime's characters to just be entertaining without being too quirky. However, in the case of drama anime like 91 Days, I think character development is absolutely necessary, since those kind of anime's main selling point is trying to get you to feel for the characters. However, in the case of anime like Dr. Stone, the characters aren't the main selling point.

Yeah I absolutely agree with you, which is why I listed Dr Stone as an example of a good, entertaining show despite it's more "shallow" characters. Kimetsu is different though - the characters are absolutely the selling point aside from the pretty visuals, which is why it kind of falls flat on that department. Although the cast is very likable and can have funny interactions which makes them have lots of potential to be great, they seriously NEED that development, more than just a tragic backstory for every character. Many characters also need to be more cohesively linked to the themes and the plot because a lot of them are very irrelevant.
Sep 18, 2019 8:20 AM

Jul 2019
squirrvev said:
Seiya said:

Very well explained but he refused to agree anyway.
Sep 18, 2019 8:23 AM
Feb 2019
(Without giving away any spoilers) Many people complain about the ending of Erased but personally I thought they done it brilliantly.
Sep 18, 2019 8:30 AM
Mar 2016
The first half or so of Shinsekai Yori being boring or muddy.

I didn't find it boring at all, and I am the person that gets bored quickly.

For it being a little muddy kinda fits since the characters were young and memories do get fuzzy. A lot of things happening were kind of surreal, fittingly.

Alsoalso it is not really criticism but people angry about Erased's ending cuz their ship didn't sail is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard in this community.
Sep 18, 2019 8:32 AM

Jul 2019
Seiya said:
puneetsingh said:

Oh dear Seiya, while I agreed with some of your part that enjoyment is an important thing but criticism is necessary too. For example, you just hate on some shows with violence like it can't have a good story but it don't falls under criticism but your own value but people seem to read others opinion so what if someone think by reading posts that anime is violence etc. and therefore I don't like anime as there is nothing main to like about it. So, it will be stupid because criticism is required in those points to counter the arguments. The shows that people enjoy can have weaknesses. It's not wrong to talk about them otherwise everything would be a 10 even if someone like boku no pico says that criticism is not valid on my favorite show/the masterpiece known as boku no pico will be stupid.
While I do agree that extreme criticism goes for negative merits but blind enjoyment can lead to negative merits too. Enjoyment sure is a main thing but knowing bad things or valid criticism is not bad.
puneetsinghSep 18, 2019 8:36 AM
Sep 18, 2019 8:37 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
any sort of negative view on fanservice
Sep 18, 2019 8:50 AM

Jul 2016
The ending of Clannad being a deux ex machina. I mean, it kind of is in a narrative sense but it was foreshadowed for quite some time and it's set in a world where magic properly exist and has existed over three whole series.

May 2018
puneetsingh said:
The thing is the artstyle suits it's story so it doesn't need one punch man artstyle. Also people confuse artstyle with animation whereas in actual animation is great + in regards to art style I would say that artstyle which fits its story is also great.

imo the appeal for Mob Psycho is due to the art style
AybidSep 18, 2019 8:53 AM

Oct 2008
AbsurdistOtaku can I ask you, what does an adult mean to you. If I recall both anime you mentioned came out in 2011 and now we are 7+ years later 2019. So in my humble opinion not much time has passed, I could be wrong but were you perhaps 12 years old when you watched them.
Sep 18, 2019 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
Tsukizono said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:

Yeah I absolutely agree with you, which is why I listed Dr Stone as an example of a good, entertaining show despite it's more "shallow" characters. Kimetsu is different though - the characters are absolutely the selling point aside from the pretty visuals, which is why it kind of falls flat on that department. Although the cast is very likable and can have funny interactions which makes them have lots of potential to be great, they seriously NEED that development, more than just a tragic backstory for every character. Many characters also need to be more cohesively linked to the themes and the plot because a lot of them are very irrelevant.

I only watched the 1st ep of Demon Slayer, but I don't quite understand how the characters are the selling point. However, I do agree that just giving a character a tragic backstory and leaving it at that is cheap.

Aybid said:
puneetsingh said:
The thing is the artstyle suits it's story so it doesn't need one punch man artstyle. Also people confuse artstyle with animation whereas in actual animation is great + in regards to art style I would say that artstyle which fits its story is also great.

imo the appeal for Mob Psycho is due to the art style

I think Mob Psycho 100 has one of the best aesthetics in anime I've seen; it's incredibly distinct, while being very detailed.

zieek said:
AbsurdistOtaku can I ask you, what does an adult mean to you. If I recall both anime you mentioned came out in 2011 and now we are 7+ years later 2019. So in my humble opinion not much time has passed, I could be wrong but were you perhaps 12 years old when you watched them.

I don't understand why this is a question: an adult is obviously someone who's at least 18, at least by American standards.
I don't exactly remember how old I was when I first watched Fate/Zero and Steins; Gate; probably between 13-15? I'm 20 now. I was watching more mature anime by the time I was 12, so trying to remember how old I was when I first watched Steins; Gate and Fate/Zero is really hard for me.
removed-userSep 18, 2019 9:10 AM
Sep 18, 2019 9:21 AM

Jun 2014
puneetsingh said:
Seiya said:

Oh dear Seiya, while I agreed with some of your part that enjoyment is an important thing but criticism is necessary too. For example, you just hate on some shows with violence like it can't have a good story but it don't falls under criticism but your own value but people seem to read others opinion so what if someone think by reading posts that anime is violence etc. and therefore I don't like anime as there is nothing main to like about it. So, it will be stupid because criticism is required in those points to counter the arguments. The shows that people enjoy can have weaknesses. It's not wrong to talk about them otherwise everything would be a 10 even if someone like boku no pico says that criticism is not valid on my favorite show/the masterpiece known as boku no pico will be stupid.
While I do agree that extreme criticism goes for negative merits but blind enjoyment can lead to negative merits too. Enjoyment sure is a main thing but knowing bad things or valid criticism is not bad.

I'm not reading that.

Please don't quote me anymore. I'm no longer open to being quoted by anyone. Just ignore me instead.

Sep 18, 2019 9:36 AM

Jul 2019
Seiya said:
puneetsingh said:

I'm not reading that.

Please don't quote me anymore. I'm no longer open to being quoted by anyone. Just ignore me instead.
LOL, you asked me to explain and now not reading it is just wasting my time. Anyway, NOTE: u know that u are giving opinion on a forum so obviously someone can opinion u here.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

23 by Toooooooooohru »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
13 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

8 by mizukasa »»
14 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

3 by LostSpectre »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.