Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 28, 2019 11:33 AM
Oct 2017
Nim0174 said:

yea i know, thats the problem, thor was being soft not killing when he knew they weren't the type to hold onto promises, he couldn't have been sure that they wouldn't kill his son so he should have killed all of them from the start

That's not the case though. Thors can tell something about Askeladd by the way he behaves as well as when they fought. You have to remember that it is possible to read people. That's a much smarter way to go around deciding the course of action than to think "he does this for a living so he must be like this". It's the same reason Askeladd is giving Thors special treatment. Basically they could recognise each other as someone out of the norm with great skill. They sort of said that in the beginning. In the manga Askeladd's been repeating about it before we even got to this whole flashback.
NielloJul 28, 2019 11:44 AM
Jul 28, 2019 11:34 AM

Apr 2019
thekillfra said:
Nim0174 said:

especially since this askeladd guy doesn't have a sense of honor

maybe you forgot about the archers? and the fact that it has been said many times that Thor would have been saved only if he had been alone.

You didn't understand Askeladd, but Thor understood him very well , because they communicated with their eyes.

you didn't get my point
he accepted the duel
they did a duel and he didn't retreat
= no honor (although he does have some at least because he didn't kill all of them)
the issue here is that he accepted the duel and didn't adhere to it even though he lost
i wouldn't have minded if he hadn't accepted it in the first place

Niello said:
Nim0174 said:

yea i know, thats the problem, thor was being soft not killing when he knew they weren't the type to hold onto promises, he couldn't have been sure that they wouldn't kill his son so he should have killed all of them from the start

That's not the case though. Thors can tell something about Askeladd by the way he behaves as well as when they fought. You have to remember that it is possible to read people. That's a much smarter way to go around deciding the course of action than to think "he does this for a living so he must be like this". It's the same reason Askeladd is giving Thors special treatment. Basically they could recognise each other as someone out of the norm with great skill. They sort of said that in the beginning. In the manga Askeladd's been repeating about it before we even got to this whole flashback.

thats obvious
doesn't change the fact he could have killed askeladd and over 20 of his men if he hadn't held back.
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 28, 2019 11:35 AM

Oct 2017
Nim0174 said:
stupid way to die because of being soft lmao
could have just decimated all of them
there was no guaruantee they let his son live anyway so there was no reason to surrender
i didn't like this episodes writing but overall great episode though
sorry but i just don't care about this guy dying in this episode and it felt forced, its way too soon and i've had no time to get attached to him
the animation was fucking amazing

I will say why Thors wanted to keep to his belief of avoiding taking life he knew the Archers were there main reason he hoped he could appeal to a sense of honor in single combat because if he tried to kill them all the archers would kill Thorfinn and everyone else. It was a last ditch resort they were insanely in trouble as soon as they sailed into that bay.
Jul 28, 2019 11:37 AM

Apr 2019
TolkienFan365 said:
Nim0174 said:
stupid way to die because of being soft lmao
could have just decimated all of them
there was no guaruantee they let his son live anyway so there was no reason to surrender
i didn't like this episodes writing but overall great episode though
sorry but i just don't care about this guy dying in this episode and it felt forced, its way too soon and i've had no time to get attached to him
the animation was fucking amazing

I will say why Thors wanted to keep to his belief of avoiding taking life he knew the Archers were there main reason he hoped he could appeal to a sense of honor because if he tried to kill them all the archers would kill Thorfinn and everyone else. It was a last ditch resort they were insanely in trouble as soon as they sailed into that bay.

yea that makes sense
he still could have killed those 20 men beforehand, no one checked their life status until afterwards, he just held back,
what you are saying is correct, but its only the case for when he held back against askeladd
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 28, 2019 11:41 AM

Dec 2015
Great episode - as always. Liked the music and the chars and the scenes between Askeladd and Thors were great. Only Thorfinn crying was a bit borign. So I guess we'll get more Askeladd for now and Thorfin travelling with them - nice as long as Askeladd gets screentime and Thorfinn starts to mature.

At one point Thorfinn looked a bit like Levi with the eyes ha ha. (At the end at the ship one of his angry face views before screaming.)
Jul 28, 2019 11:41 AM

Oct 2017
Nim0174 said:
TolkienFan365 said:

I will say why Thors wanted to keep to his belief of avoiding taking life he knew the Archers were there main reason he hoped he could appeal to a sense of honor because if he tried to kill them all the archers would kill Thorfinn and everyone else. It was a last ditch resort they were insanely in trouble as soon as they sailed into that bay.

yea that makes sense
he still could have killed those 20 men beforehand, no one checked their life status until afterwards, he just held back,
what you are saying is correct, but its only the case for when he held back against askeladd

Well once they realized they were dead again the deal could be off. if he kills Asekladd Bjorn would be next in charge who is far less diplomatic. Again yeah he is keeping to his morality but even if he was okay with killing ultimately that would have been a bad decision.

I will say this arc doesn't delve into it much however if this does get a S2 it will look more at the idea of Pacifism and one reason I do like Vinland is that it doesn't paint it as the ideal and shows how hard it is to live like that in a society like this.
Jul 28, 2019 11:43 AM

Apr 2019
TolkienFan365 said:
Nim0174 said:

yea that makes sense

Well once they realized they were dead again the deal could be off. if he kills Asekladd Bjorn would be next in charge who is far less diplomatic. Again yeah he is keeping to his morality but even if he was okay with killing ultimately that would have been a bad decision.

I will say this arc doesn't delve into it much however if this does get a S2 it will look more at the idea of Pacifism and one reason I do like Vinland is that it doesn't paint it as the ideal and shows how hard it is to live like that in a society like this.

i guess i can live with that
just hate to see good characters die because of some bitch ass situations like this
always triggers me
so much wasted potential i would have liked to see more of thors
( i just read the plot summary lmao didn't even see that it spoiled his death )

should have just shown a flashback of these first 4 episodes within 1 ep. tbh
then i wouldn't be so mad about thors dying without doing anything
they gave him the right amount of screen time to piss me off because i want to see more but deny me by killing him off, but not enough for me to be emotionally attached to him
kinda annoying xD
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 28, 2019 11:44 AM
Sep 2016
Nim0174 said:

thats obvious
doesn't change the fact he could have killed askeladd and over 20 of his men if he hadn't held back.

His son would have died along with all the others, he certainly can't stop the archers by flying, Thor already knew he was dead the moment they were trapped, he just tried to negotiate and keep the maximum from the inevitable
Jul 28, 2019 11:45 AM
Jun 2015
RainyShadow said:
For me this story died with Thors. If it does center around that fricken, stupid brat from now on, i'm not interested in it...
No. It revolves around everyone. Thorffin is just a little piece of Vinland. Askalled is the real MC
Jul 28, 2019 11:46 AM
Oct 2017
Nim0174 said:

thats obvious

I'm not sure how you miss it, but the whole thing about Thors is that he chose to give up on fighting. That's what separates him from all the bloodthirsty vikings and made him so honourable in the first place. Sure, he could kill, but that's one of the worst outcome. Thorfinn would have zero chance of learning what Thors taught him. Thors would failed to get out of "the cycle" and went back on his own principle. If a full fight had broken out with Askeladd around even Thors wouldn't be able to protect his son or companions (and Thors has an idea that Askeladd is strong, and don't forget the archers on the cliff). Asking for a duel is a good way out. And it works he cornered Askeladd and Askeladd was pretty much willing to back off. Then Bjorn came in and Askeladd just went with the flow, after all the opportunity presented itself and as he said he can't afford to look bad in front of his underlings.

What you suggested he should do would literally get everyone killed.
Jul 28, 2019 11:46 AM

Mar 2018
_MushiRock11_ said:
Thorfinn sneaking into one of Askeladd’s ships is really commendable, in terms of the presence of mind to go for it

Unless I misunderstood, Askeladd's men captured Thor's warship. It was abandoned, because they couldn't sail it without Thor helping. Thorfinn stowed away in the boat that was captured. Though it's surprising nobody noticed that Thorfinn was unaccounted for, I guess a lot was going on...

-Stray said:
that being said the one that I didn't expect was how naive Thors was for sacrificing himself for them when the bastard he fought literally didnt give a shit about codes and stuffs, how he believed he'll go through with not murdering everyone even after killing him is beyond me

Well, Askeladd was being paid for Thor's head, nobody else's. Thor knew this. Why would Askeladd risk losing or injuring more of his men if the job he was being paid to do - kill Thor - was complete? The only reason to kill any of the other men in the first place would have been to get to Thor.
owarida6Jul 28, 2019 11:51 AM
Jul 28, 2019 11:47 AM

Apr 2019
thekillfra said:
Nim0174 said:

thats obvious

His son would have died along with all the others, he certainly can't stop the archers by flying, Thor already knew he was dead the moment they were trapped, he just tried to negotiate and keep the maximum from the inevitable

they didn't even check the life signs of those 20 guys until later on, could have still killed them, wouldn't have made a difference, but what tolkien above said satisfied my question thanks anyway
same answer to you @Niello
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 28, 2019 11:50 AM

Jul 2015
This Anime is seriously the best in this season.i am till now full satisfied.

The way they adapted the fight was simply beautiful.Fromm the pacing to animation was simply lucid.

We got to see Thors in action and Askeladd was badass and intelligent too.

The duel was the main spotlight of this episode.Simply beautiful.Nothing more to say.

Also Thorfinn at the end was simply marvelous.The way this anime portrays human mentality is full realistic,the violent and gritty world is also shown so nicely.Full 5/5 episode.
Arjuna777Jul 28, 2019 11:54 AM

Jul 28, 2019 11:52 AM

May 2018
cherry_memoir said:
Amazing episode!! I'm so looking forward to the next one. I'm glad Vinland Saga is back!!

that gif was exactly what I was thinking xD
Jul 28, 2019 11:55 AM

Mar 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
They threw any pretending to realism just like the father guy threw them into water with a fist slap. Well, at least they are not aiming high and don't pretend like it.

I prefer to interpret these sort of moments in otherwise realistic shows through of lens of "this is a story being told", not necessarily that we're witnessing it with our own eyes. While we can know for a fact because of the outcome that Thors successfully neutralized all these men without killing them; that he dispatched them so effortlessly could be chalked up to embellishment by the storyteller. Just the way I see it anyway.
Jul 28, 2019 11:58 AM

Oct 2017
Nim0174 said:
TolkienFan365 said:

i guess i can live with that
just hate to see good characters die because of some bitch ass situations like this
always triggers me
so much wasted potential i would have liked to see more of thors
( i just read the plot summary lmao didn't even see that it spoiled his death )

should have just shown a flashback of these first 4 episodes within 1 ep. tbh
then i wouldn't be so mad about thors dying without doing anything
they gave him the right amount of screen time to piss me off because i want to see more but deny me by killing him off, but not enough for me to be emotionally attached to him
kinda annoying xD

It probably didn't impact me as much when I read the manga because even though I loved Thors I knew he was already dead as the order of chapters has been changed. You knew from CH 1 Thorfinn had his father killed before you even meet Thors.

I also disagree with that Iceland arc is exactly what is should be I was really worried they were going to cut down on this from the manga (happy they didn't). These chapters are very important for the overall story.
Jul 28, 2019 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
owarida6 said:
_MushiRock11_ said:
Thorfinn sneaking into one of Askeladd’s ships is really commendable, in terms of the presence of mind to go for it

Unless I misunderstood, Askeladd's men captured Thor's warship. It was abandoned, because they couldn't sail it without Thor helping. Thorfinn stowed away in the boat that was captured. Though it's surprising nobody noticed that Thorfinn was unaccounted for, I guess a lot was going on...

Yes, that's the correct interpretation. Askeladd was busy thinking about something else, while the other men were busy celebrating, so they didn't notice that Throfinn was hiding there.
Jul 28, 2019 11:59 AM

Oct 2018
Thanjh said:
Easily best anime of the season, possibly AOTY but too early to tell. Shaped up to be the best revenge story in anime by the look in Thorfinn’s eyes alone.

No, no, no. AOTY will go to My Hero Academia because Crunchylawl says so.

Jul 28, 2019 12:05 PM
Aug 2013
xeco said:
mfw people saying this is aoty but its literraly a generic story of a kid wanting revenge and messing up for being too dumb

Man, you doesn't know how wrong you are hahahaha
Jul 28, 2019 12:09 PM

Oct 2017
shane_nichols said:
No. It revolves around everyone. Thorffin is just a little piece of Vinland. Askalled is the real MC

I hope you're right. Four episodes in and i already can't stand seeing this damn kid anymore.
Jul 28, 2019 12:15 PM

Mar 2016
"Why did my father died?"
To save your dumb-ass, you stupid kid!

There's your average S̶a̶s̶u̶k̶e̶ revenge story, still think of this as the AOTS.
el_morrisJul 28, 2019 12:19 PM
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jul 28, 2019 12:16 PM

Oct 2017
RainyShadow said:
shane_nichols said:

I hope you're right. Four episodes in and i already can't stand seeing this damn kid anymore.

He is pretty isolated and cold throughout most of Prologue (not irate with anger that's more the intial bit in his childhood). Still Askeladd and another character we have yet to be introduced to are the mc's here in this arc. Still Thofinn changes a lot as a character which is why along with Askeladd and another character they are my three favorite characters from Vinland. Most people though like Thorfinn in this arc so I wouldn't be quick to judge.
Jul 28, 2019 12:16 PM

Mar 2019
xeco said:
mfw people saying this is aoty but its literraly a generic story of a kid wanting revenge and messing up for being too dumb

I wonder why people think originality is a virtue.
Most classics are a rip-off of previous classics, only made in a different fashion that strikes our inner chords in a different way.

That's why there's a difference between trope and cliche.
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Jul 28, 2019 12:17 PM
Oct 2013
ThousandCuts said:
Thanjh said:
Easily best anime of the season, possibly AOTY but too early to tell. Shaped up to be the best revenge story in anime by the look in Thorfinn’s eyes alone.

Till now my AOTY ranking:
1. SnK s03 part II (the clear favourite)
2. Mob Psycho 100 s02
3/4. 7DS part 3 (if adapted well because it contains maybe fight of the year)
4/3. Vinland Saga
5. Kimitsu no Yaiba
6. BnHA s04 (let's see what bones do)

lasso_914Jul 28, 2019 12:20 PM
Jul 28, 2019 12:18 PM

Sep 2017
@Byniavo
that gif was exactly what I was thinking xD

hahahahahahaha XD

Jul 28, 2019 12:29 PM
Mar 2015
Thors was going to die one way or another The archers on the cliff made sure of that. He chose the best way he could find under the circumstances. Askeladd was merely carrying out orders. He had to kill Thors one way or another. I like his smile in reaction to Thorfinn's call for revenge. he is going to use that energy to mold Thorfin even though it puts his own life at risk
Jul 28, 2019 12:31 PM

Sep 2017
What a great show man. Askeladd is kind of a coward. At the end of the day he wanted his money, but I'm sure he was serious when he asked Thors to be their leader. I image the guilt Askeladd feels will cause him to raise Thorfinn.
Jul 28, 2019 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
-Stray said:
how he believed he'll go through with not murdering everyone even after killing him is beyond me, he's op af he could have incapacitated them all if he wanted but nope.
Don't know, nothing really impressed me this episode. I blame people who overhyped this too much and gave me too much expectations for it.

I get that this is Thorfin's story and he needed to have a good motive for this to become a revenge story but damn... at least don't make it look too dumb. Just got in and already not feeling Thorfin's backstory.

This is not fantasy anime, are we even watching the same episode? Thors properly explained why he couldn't do that despite being "overpowered", there are archers out there who are ready to step in at any moment.

He realized that's the best way of protecting others by appealing to the honour angle of Askeladd, and it worked to a certain extent.
Jul 28, 2019 12:33 PM
Apr 2016
owarida6 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:
They threw any pretending to realism just like the father guy threw them into water with a fist slap. Well, at least they are not aiming high and don't pretend like it.

I prefer to interpret these sort of moments in otherwise realistic shows through of lens of "this is a story being told", not necessarily that we're witnessing it with our own eyes. While we can know for a fact because of the outcome that Thors successfully neutralized all these men without killing them; that he dispatched them so effortlessly could be chalked up to embellishment by the storyteller. Just the way I see it anyway.

That could be a legit point but still, a story about vikings that is not realistic? That's a waste.
Re:formed
Jul 28, 2019 12:37 PM

Apr 2009
Shouldn't be surprised that most people here did not see the bargaining that was going on between Thors and Askeladd, but it's still sad how one of the few scenes with actual good characterization and intelligent storyboarding we had this year gets shafted here.

Episode was great.
NidhoeggrJul 28, 2019 12:41 PM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 28, 2019 12:37 PM

Aug 2012
That was fucked up.
Jul 28, 2019 12:45 PM

Jul 2014
Thors is a goddamn legend
Jul 28, 2019 12:46 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Good episode. They're doing a good job adapting the manga so far, and the changes are small and do not affect the story. I really, really look forward to this upcoming arc. It's going to be a marvellous spectacle.

The worst thing is going to be coming into MAL to comment and see comments like "Thors is stupid bla bla bla" by people who have such a shallow reading of what's going on (they want everything spelled out to them verbally I suppose).
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 28, 2019 12:52 PM

Apr 2009
owarida6 said:
Incredible episode, this show impresses me with each new entry.

I really loathe the notion that "predictable = bad". You had to have some inclination that Thors wasn't going to survive very long, because it was heavily and repeatedly foreshadowed. They threw up death flags everywhere. And if you have seen Game of Thrones you would have recognized Thors as Vinland Saga's Ned Stark. In this time, in this place, as in Westeros, there is no room for honorable men to survive. At the point that our heroes were trapped, at the very least Thors' fate was sealed. Because of course it was. Because that flows logically and makes sense.

So yes, Thors died. Yes, you saw it coming. The writers *wanted you* to see it coming. With story beats like this, it's the journey that is more important than the destination.

The inverse approach of course is the groan-inducing "SuBvErTiNg ExPeCtAtIoNs" strategy as seen in the last season of Game of Thrones, and in The Last Jedi, where the writers just pen in as much nonsensical BS as possible, because they value surprising the audience over presenting a coherent story.

I'm glad the writer(s) here chose cohesive storytelling.

I was waiting for this comment! Or rather, you took the words out of my mouth! I had GOT-flashbacks, especially after this episode and reading some of the comments here.
But hopefully this show doesn't go the same route that would give me "kinda forgot" flashbacks.;)
Jul 28, 2019 12:54 PM
Jul 2015
This is it, he made Armin mad.
Jul 28, 2019 12:54 PM
Aug 2018
I loved this episode ! It was so emotional !
I start to appreciate Askaladd it was so cool when he cuts the mast of the boat and when he gives the signal to the archers.
The relationship between Thors and Thorfinn makes me think of Sasuke and Itachi.
Again no complaints about the animation which is excellent.
Jul 28, 2019 1:22 PM
Apr 2019
I'm not crying

you're crying
Jul 28, 2019 1:22 PM

Jul 2016
God damn, the raw emotion in all of this was just... I can't think of a better word than frightening.

It can be pretty difficult sometimes for me to be really affected by the death of a main character, but Vinland Saga sells it perfectly. This is the modern Berserk adaptation we've all been wanting.

Also, because of that two (three?) week break, I forgot how much I like the ED.
Jul 28, 2019 1:25 PM

Aug 2017
ThousandCuts said:
Thanjh said:

Award shows based on popular vote don't matter, they are just for amusement.

They shouldn't be treated as a some kind of serious qualifier of objective taste.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Jul 28, 2019 1:34 PM
Apr 2016
Niello said:
Nim0174 said:

Or more realistic (which might not say much about this series) besides the ships Askeladd also had a dozen of archers on standby. The only way for Thors' company to survive was to appeal to their leader. And since Askeladd mentioned that scumbag who sent him after Thors, it was obvious they must get Thors, the rest does not matter.
Nidhoeggr said:
Shouldn't be surprised that most people here did not see the bargaining that was going on between Thors and Askeladd, but it's still sad how one of the few scenes with actual good characterization and intelligent storyboarding we had this year gets shafted here.

Episode was great.

From all the overpower Thors was, there was something I genuinely liked - the way Askeladd kept on looking at Thors and speaking with him through eyes, face gestures. For someone leading a bunch of scandinavian rednecks it would be a political suicide to accept defeat, which is why Askeladd, while not wanting to turn it into a massacre himself, also has to stay in control and make sure he fulfills his contract on Thors. THIS IS ABOUT THE MOST GENUINE THING OF HOW THINGS WENT IN THE LAND IN 800AD.
transphinx said:
xeco said:

I wonder why people think originality is a virtue.
Most classics are a rip-off of previous classics, only made in a different fashion that strikes our inner chords in a different way.

That's why there's a difference between trope and cliche.

You are getting too riled up, there is no substance in what the user you were quoting said. He could not even get the theme right. Look who's being too dumb now.
Daniel_NaumovJul 28, 2019 1:48 PM
Re:formed
Jul 28, 2019 1:38 PM

May 2015
xeco said:

Mfw when people think the word "generic" is an actual criticism:😒

OT: This episode was pretty much perfect. I'm honestly shocked at how well this is being adapted so far. I pray to anime Jesus that this quality keeps up.

Jul 28, 2019 1:47 PM

Nov 2016
Played more or less out as expected, but extremely well executed. The tension and epicness of this episode were off the charts. Thors was one hell of a man and leader.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 28, 2019 1:52 PM

Apr 2017
well, now i'm really sad. i felt that shit man - damn. poor kid...that frame of him holding onto his dad as he's dying was beautiful yet managed to capture a lot of emotion. wit are absolute gods.
Jul 28, 2019 1:54 PM

May 2015
The complaints that people are voicing in this thread just make no sense to me. Yeah, Thors could have easily killed pretty much everyone there, but he wouldn't. Why? Because he's a changed man. He doesn't believe in killing just because they happen to be "enemies", and he also doesn't want his son to think that killing is acceptable or a something that's necessary. It also wouldn't have mattered if he killed everyone on the boats, because the archers from above are still there, and would still pose a threat to him, Thorfinn, and everyone else.

Like did you guys pay attention to the last 3 episodes? His actions here are not out of character at all. Him dying was the only way he could get everyone else out of this situation and he knew that. I can understand wanting him to die in a blaze of glory or something, but I really don't think there was a more honorable way for him to go than that.
TsukuyomiREKTJul 28, 2019 2:17 PM

Jul 28, 2019 1:59 PM

Jul 2014
Wow this scene was sad in the manga but I dont remember tearing up like I did here.

Anyway, something I hope people pay attention to is Askeladd's reactions. Between his dialogue to the village kid about valuing life more, to his sullen look when hes thinking about how Thors managed to defeat his men without taking a single life, its clear Askeladd didnt take much satisfaction from killing Thors. His muted response to Thorfinn's rage compared to the mocking laughter of the rest of his crew says a lot too. All of this should be pretty obvious to anyone paying attention, but its something to keep in mind about Askeladd going forward.
Jul 28, 2019 2:02 PM

Jul 2014
LoneWalkers said:
-Stray said:
how he believed he'll go through with not murdering everyone even after killing him is beyond me, he's op af he could have incapacitated them all if he wanted but nope.
Don't know, nothing really impressed me this episode. I blame people who overhyped this too much and gave me too much expectations for it.

I get that this is Thorfin's story and he needed to have a good motive for this to become a revenge story but damn... at least don't make it look too dumb. Just got in and already not feeling Thorfin's backstory.

This is not fantasy anime, are we even watching the same episode? Thors properly explained why he couldn't do that despite being "overpowered", there are archers out there who are ready to step in at any moment.

He realized that's the best way of protecting others by appealing to the honour angle of Askeladd, and it worked to a certain extent.

Yes pretty sure we're watching the same thing. Poor attempt at ridiculing aside.
Sure, trust the guy who just played him a few seconds ago, so maybe he realized Askeladd had at least some honor in him in which he luckily did, who's to say his men wouldnt just jump on that ship and start slashing them? They all looked like they were itching for some action, one of them already took it upon himself and took Thors kid as hostage, so sorry but I aint the kind of guy who'd gamble my sons life on a promise with those guys. He could have took his son and jumped on the ocean, not easy to spot them underwater, high chance of his other crew members dying but I say the sons life trumps it all, would it be unrealistic for them to escape underwater? Sure, but realism isnt really this show's strong points.
owarida6 said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

-Stray said:
that being said the one that I didn't expect was how naive Thors was for sacrificing himself for them when the bastard he fought literally didnt give a shit about codes and stuffs, how he believed he'll go through with not murdering everyone even after killing him is beyond me

Well, Askeladd was being paid for Thor's head, nobody else's. Thor knew this. Why would Askeladd risk losing or injuring more of his men if the job he was being paid to do - kill Thor - was complete? The only reason to kill any of the other men in the first place would have been to get to Thor.

I'm talking about Thors judgement, trusting someone who just a few secs ago.played him. Sure he most likely noticed Askeladd had some small honor in him left to keep his wkrd after killing him, but what about his men? like I said, one already took it upon himself to take his kid as hostage. Those guys looked hungry for some fight, they know Thors crew were a bunch of newbies, they were even mocking them.

While you can say they wouldnt attack without Askeladd telling them to but I dont know, find it hard to trust him and his men from how the events transpired.

Anyways Im not into debating about what Thors did, I get what you guys are saying, I simply find his way of dealing with it naive, he wasnt wrong tho as his men and kid lived, but that was too much of a gamble, if I was that strong and experienced I woulda risked me and my son escaping underwater than gambling his life on someone who just played me a few secs ago, would probably have my men killed by doing that but they signed up for that, my kid tho…
Jul 28, 2019 2:06 PM

Mar 2017
Damn! It was a hard hitting episode.
This scene
Jul 28, 2019 2:14 PM

Dec 2013
ProofByColor said:
What a great show man. Askeladd is kind of a coward. At the end of the day he wanted his money, but I'm sure he was serious when he asked Thors to be their leader. I image the guilt Askeladd feels will cause him to raise Thorfinn.

Dummy how is Askeladd a coward ? He fought that dude 1v1 and then was ready for his death.
Jul 28, 2019 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
-Stray said:
LoneWalkers said:

Yes pretty sure we're watching the same thing. Poor attempt at ridiculing aside.
Sure, trust the guy who just played him a few seconds ago, so maybe he realized Askeladd had at least some honor in him in which he luckily did, who's to say his men wouldnt just jump on that ship and start slashing them? They all looked like they were itching for some action, one of them already took it upon himself and took Thors kid as hostage, so sorry but I aint the kind of guy who'd gamble my sons life on a promise with those guys. He could have took his son and jumped on the ocean, not easy to spot them underwater, high chance of his other crew members dying but I say the sons life trumps it all, would it be unrealistic for them to escape underwater? Sure, but realism isnt really this show's strong points.

>so maybe he realized Askeladd had at least some honor in him in which he luckily did, who's to say his men wouldnt just jump on that ship and start slashing them?
You realized right that's why he asked who is the leader here? He made sure who is controlling the situation, trusted that Askeladd would at least keep that vow of the warrior, because there aren't basically any other ways. He trusted his warrior's intuition, something that has been highlighted frequently.

So what's the better option? Jumping into the ocean water in that cramped situation, staying underwater while surrounded by their men?
Oh yes, "who cares about others lives, somehow I will get away with Thorfinn anyway" while disregarding other's lives, because that TOTALLY fits his character from the past 4 episodes. Basically Thors' characteization built up so far has zero relevance to your post, it's just "let's find out some way by diving underneath, it will work out surely because he is overpowered".

Good thing the writer has some common sense here, sometimes I really wonder about the attention span of viewers.
removed-userJul 28, 2019 2:25 PM
Jul 28, 2019 2:17 PM
Jun 2015
ThousandCuts said:
Thanjh said:

Itll go to AOT. As much as I like vinland, that arc raised the bar so high. Like its phantom troupe level high
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.