Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2019 4:33 PM
Jun 2015
AdrianRubinsky said:
I just hope Thorfinn ins't a copy/paste of Eren from AOT. One of the main problems I have with AOT is Eren.

Nah. Hes much different and has more of a personality
Jul 7, 2019 5:03 PM

Aug 2018
fancyjasper said:
It was a nice treat to get 3 episodes at once! Thankfully i've read the first volume of manga, so waiting another 3 weeks for episode 4 won't be too bad.

Looks like this'll be a really solid anime.
Yeah, I've read a good bit of the manga too, but waiting until the end of July for ep. 4 is going to suck! I'm ready to see more of everybody's favorite cunning bastard, Askeladd, on the big screen.
Jul 7, 2019 5:03 PM

Aug 2008
Esquirtit said:
Yet this pig wants him dead, hope there's even more to it

you are thinking like 21 century dude, in Viking era, their land was ovepopulated couldn't sustain it alone with food and poor in resources they had to became Pillagers/Vikings to survive, Thor(Dad) is traitor and shame to his family for abandoning his comrades in arms during battle.
Jul 7, 2019 5:09 PM

May 2014
BigAristotle94 said:
fancyjasper said:
It was a nice treat to get 3 episodes at once! Thankfully i've read the first volume of manga, so waiting another 3 weeks for episode 4 won't be too bad.

Looks like this'll be a really solid anime.
Yeah, I've read a good bit of the manga too, but waiting until the end of July for ep. 4 is going to suck! I'm ready to see more of everybody's favorite cunning bastard, Askeladd, on the big screen.

True. Luckily i'm watching quite a few anime this season to distract me from the wait!
Jul 7, 2019 5:47 PM

Mar 2018
lakisa said:
you are thinking like 21 century dude, in Viking era, their land was ovepopulated couldn't sustain it alone with food and poor in resources they had to became Pillagers/Vikings to survive, Thor(Dad) is traitor and shame to his family for abandoning his comrades in arms during battle.

Yeah but he doesn't even want him back in the army or did I get something wrong? He's an even bigger traitor to his superiors hence why I call him a pig. They are willing to overlook Thors crime because he's an exceptional warrior, this pig says fuck it I want him dead.

Also even with the Viking era in mind I still respect Thors' decision, yes him leaving in battle wasn't courageous but it was to move away from violence and live a humble life with his family. Similar occurrences still happen, think about gangs, extreme religious groups and every shithole in general lol. It's not that I wasn't aware of why his deeds were seen as despicable war crimes, it's more about how Thors deals with it and why he believed he did the right thing. It backfired anyway, he wasn't able to impart his own new values onto his children. So yes if you live in that sort of world you will be shamed and punished, but why is that? Only because he changed and started thinking for himself instead of following the rest.
EsquirtitJul 7, 2019 7:38 PM
poop
Jul 7, 2019 6:51 PM

Apr 2018
AdrianRubinsky said:
I just hope Thorfinn ins't a copy/paste of Eren from AOT. One of the main problems I have with AOT is Eren.

"I just Hope Eren isn't a Copypates of Thorfin From VS"
Here dude, I fixed it. Cuz Vinland (2005) is A lot older than AOT (2009), so there's no way thorfin could Copypaste Eren. Duh
Jul 7, 2019 6:58 PM

Dec 2013
FUCK ME this shit was good. Pacing is excelent (I trully hope they can hit the end of the prologue with the 24 episodes), animation is excelent, cast is excelent... Can't ask for more.
Jul 7, 2019 7:01 PM

Jul 2015
@Jfs_ Thank you for completely miss the point of my question. I don't care who came first. I asked if the characters act the same way.

@Hicron and @shane_nichols: thank you for at least to give me the information.

AdrianRubinskyJul 7, 2019 7:04 PM
Jul 7, 2019 7:04 PM
Mar 2018
I love it. This anime is too awesome.
Jul 7, 2019 7:15 PM

Apr 2018
AdrianRubinsky said:
@Jfs_ Thank you for completely miss the point of my question. I don't care who came first. I asked if the characters act the same way.
I thought I was clear enough, I said: "there's no way Thorfin could copypaste eren" Which also means : "NO, Thorfin is not Eren, Both are different and Nothing alike"
Jul 7, 2019 7:20 PM

Oct 2017
Thors is a beast! He took care of those guys with his bare hands.
Jul 7, 2019 7:47 PM

Feb 2019
These episodes feel like they are over before they even begin. Episode 3 has me completely convinced that this is going to be contender for AOTY and I think they made the smart choice in airing the first 3 episodes on the same day.
Jul 7, 2019 7:58 PM

Oct 2015
Holy virgin mother goose! This anime is the best thing.

It just took me back when I fell in love with anime, it looks like it belong with the greats such as Magi, berserk and the kingdom. Thank the anime Gods for this masterpiece, I've been through hell after last season's anime and this must be my salvation. I know I'm not wrong from the three episodes I've just watched, I'm pumped as hell for the fourth episode and what's to come. Whoever came up with this anime Thank you and bless you! Thors is a pacifist but I like him and he's my favorite so far, I usually don't stand these creeps but him- thumbs up. Also the development is fire so far, most of all- Its about MF vikings.

Please if you are looking for isekai or best girls or any of that harem shit, please please please leave us and don't soil this anime!!!! I will say it again, please leave this if you are looking for any senseless crap. Please man I'm begging you on my knees with all four corners.

These three episodes were certainly better than the five seasons of vikings the television show. My pick show of the season!!!!!!!!
lihle808Jul 7, 2019 8:06 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 7, 2019 8:06 PM
Jan 2019
I'm hooked. This show seems pretty intriguing.
Jul 7, 2019 8:07 PM

Sep 2010
I was quite worried about this anime because from my experience, seinen manga's adaptations usually don't do so well.

Fortunately this worry was completely unfolded and the anime looks great so far. And that voice actor for my boy Askeladd. I'm already enjoying it far too much. This season has disappointed me so far but Vinland Saga already managed to turn it around. It's only first week but AOTS has already been decided for me. AOTY though, that will be a tough one to chose from but if this quality is kept up then Vinland might as well take it. After all, this flashback yea, it's alright but the real stuff comes later.

Although my main question now would be, how far will those 25 episodes reach in the story. I hope there are more seasons to at least cover the first arc.
Jul 7, 2019 8:13 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Next episode is gonna be fkin amazing.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jul 7, 2019 8:35 PM
Nov 2018
THIS ISNT A SPOILER ONLY AN CLARIFICATION BUT READ WITH PRECAUTION

The anime is changing the order of events but in a good way and i understand why they publish 3 episodes in a a row but the real 1st episode is going to be the next one so dont be so harsh or drop it if you are pretty accelerated

pd: I re-read the manga 3 times and for me is the best manga i ever read and i read a lot including berserk
Jul 7, 2019 8:41 PM

Oct 2017
AdrianRubinsky said:

As for Thorfinn vs Eren they both have an edgy aspect I will admit lol. They both go down separate character development paths that are drastically different and they end up as two completely different characters.

I will say while Thorfinn is the MC I wouldn't say the plot really is driven by him in this arc so if you really take issue with him it might not be a huge issue as there are tons of other characters with varying personalities that drive the plot. Askeladd is probably the most enjoyable character in this arc in my honest opinion and he gets a lot of screen time and is the main driver of the story outside of another character we have yet to be introduced to.

One thing I will say I don't get the whole AOT vs Vinland comparisons outside of it being done by WIT thematically and even later genre wise they are different stories.
BilboBaggins365Jul 8, 2019 10:06 PM
Jul 7, 2019 8:45 PM

Apr 2017
oh thorfinn you foolish boy...can't say that was exactly what i was expecting him to do - i thought he'd run off to go sulk like most 6 year olds do. but this is anime so i'm not sure what i would have expected otherwise.
Jul 7, 2019 8:52 PM
Jan 2019
This episode is summarized in these words "Be a father, change your life completely", and Thors did it.
I thought that Thors had met Helga after deserting the army, it was a surprise to know that they were married long before. By the way, she is a beautiful woman.
15 years of Marriage, almost 15 years of peace that are now in danger because of Floki, that damned worm.
Now with the ambush, Thors will not be able to carry out his plan to leave the youngsters safe and Thorfinn in Norway.

Hahaha, Thorfinn was cunning when hiding in a barrel, he just lacked to say "I will be the King of the Pirates" 😂. Thors' reaction to seeing his son so excited, touched me. But afterwards, Thorfinn earned himself a good spanking. LOL.

The episode ended in the best part. And I know that the death of Thors is inevitable, it's a shame, I like the character very much. The next episode will be very sad.
Well, we will meet again on July 28 to see episode 4.

PS: Why does Studio VOLN and Studio Wit have the same intro? xD.
Jul 7, 2019 8:57 PM

Dec 2012
Once again Anime surprises the heck out of me and I have been in the industry for years now. This is a superb history series, and uses animation and the capacity of highly developed solid first class anime art and design perfectly. I am eager to see how it goes.

well done

Jul 7, 2019 10:19 PM

Jul 2012
Ylva is very popular among men.

Leif is kind of impresive with his knowlage about sailing, you can see his experience.

Thorfinn got his first weapon and his father is no joke in battle. I need next episode as soon as possible
Digimon is the best Isekai
Jul 7, 2019 10:32 PM

Jun 2019
Got me excited to see the next episode as I wanna see more of Thors in action, as well as more fight scenes.

And who can blame them? Ylva is pretty hot, though she reminds of Mereoleona from Black Clover though I don't know why.

Those boys better not die or I'm cursing someone.
Jul 7, 2019 10:37 PM
Oct 2017
AdrianRubinsky said:

They are not. Thorfinn at this point in the series is a brat. But he doesn't get the kind of special treatment Eren got from people around him. He's a brat and people treat him as a brat. He also isn't anywhere near as mindless as Eren.
Jul 7, 2019 11:15 PM

Oct 2017
lol the first thng he did after he came out of the barrel is piss at the sea.Also lol he got his ass slapped by Thors.Looks we'll see some action in next episode.Thors was real bad ass at the end of the epi where he knocked out those guys without even using any weapon and damn gotta wait a long time for next episode.
Jul 8, 2019 12:51 AM

Jul 2017
Holy sh¡t, this anime gives me Berserk vibes, I guess is not the same, but that feeling of rawness is similar.

I thought Dr. Stone will be anime of the season, but I was wrong after all.
"Ríe y el mundo reirá contigo; llora y llorarás sólo" - Ella Wheeler

Jul 8, 2019 4:36 AM

May 2012
By far the best anime I've seen in this season. The story is so good
Jul 8, 2019 4:37 AM

Apr 2019
The storytelling is very well done and interesting I can't wai to see more.
Also we got few funny scenes in this episode.
Jul 8, 2019 4:48 AM

Sep 2017
This is breathtaking ended in a cliffhanger dammit, worst part is have to wait like 3 weeks now...
Jul 8, 2019 4:49 AM

Jan 2018
It looks like the assassination has been set in motion. I cannot wait for the fight between Thors and Bjorn.
Jul 8, 2019 5:22 AM

Mar 2017
I've been wanting this to get an adaptation ever since I first started reading the manga. These first three episodes were amazing, it's like a dream come true <3.

'nom'
Jul 8, 2019 6:13 AM

Aug 2018
Hum, I got the sad feeling that Thor's crew won't be returning with all its members... pretty obvious Thorfinn will survive but about the others ? So many death flags on the young men already, yuck

Damn, to think that we'll get the answers in 3 weeks, man, that's a long ride to wait
Jul 8, 2019 9:37 AM

Feb 2014
Aside from all the eagerness for battle, can we praise how cute Ylva is. She has every guy falling for her.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jul 8, 2019 10:15 AM

Aug 2009
I love this alot, can't wait for more.
Jul 8, 2019 11:04 AM

Jul 2015
The most fascinating moment i noticed in this episode is that every moment's background sound perfectly fit well-be it Askeladd-Floki conversation, or the cliff moment.

And the cllifhanger was done so well.

Jul 8, 2019 12:11 PM

Mar 2013
Almost at the end of the prologue now. Gonna be 20 days before episode 4 though apparently. Pace is probably going to slow down after they finish the prologue too.

Also, we finally get to see the GOAT.
nitrohawkJul 8, 2019 12:16 PM
Bring back down votes on reviews
Jul 8, 2019 12:21 PM
Mar 2015
Great job of adaptation so far
Jul 8, 2019 1:12 PM

Dec 2018
I am amazed how good MAL is in spoiling, 3 sentences synopsis of anime at main page and I already know what will happen in episode 4. If someone has not read it yet, I recommend you to dont do it. I apologize for writing this here, but I did not want to set up a new topic.
ReegrezSNKJul 8, 2019 1:16 PM
Jul 8, 2019 1:16 PM

Apr 2019
MikasaAckerman3 said:
I am amazed how good MAL is in spoiling, 3 sentence description of anime at main page and I know what will happen in episode 4. If someone has not read it yet, I recommend that you to not do it. I apologize for writing this here, but I did not want to set up a new topic.

i haven't read it
thanks for the warning
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 8, 2019 1:39 PM

Mar 2019
Why is Leif such a schlub? And way older than he would have been in 1002 apparently.
Jul 8, 2019 2:03 PM

Oct 2017
Nice cliffhanger... XD
Althought this episode was full of action.Kinda sad that it end at this point...
I thought that episode 4 would be something new i mean time skip, but they cut it in this moment... :O (I'm not reading manga then im ONLY suspecting )
Now 3 weeks waiting :D
Jul 8, 2019 2:21 PM

Feb 2019
I was expecting a lot and I was not disappointed at all, it's a excellent job, the ost, the atmosphere is very nice, the action scenes although they used CGI they used it only for camera movements, but it is very well in the fights.
As for the story it is very well set the total lack of pandering otaku is very rare nowadays or generally in an anime of these the characters lack substance, but it is the opposite here.
Jul 8, 2019 3:15 PM
Apr 2016
Motherfuckers now I see why we got 3 episodes rather than 1 or 2...INSANE CLIFFHANGER. How am I supposed to wait for a week now? Heck you. Well, it was obvious that the kid will sneak in. Great anime & episode.
Jul 8, 2019 5:49 PM

Jun 2013
Alright finally we're going to see Thors kicking some again like he used to
Jul 8, 2019 6:57 PM

May 2015
It's nice to see a manga that truly deserves a good adaptation is getting exactly that. If it continues with this same level of quality, then it's easily AOTY material.

Jul 8, 2019 8:10 PM
Oct 2017
MikasaAckerman3 said:
I am amazed how good MAL is in spoiling, 3 sentences synopsis of anime at main page and I already know what will happen in episode 4. If someone has not read it yet, I recommend you to dont do it. I apologize for writing this here, but I did not want to set up a new topic.

That's because the fact that Thor dies is never a spoiler in the first place. If the anime has followed the order in which the manga told its story, that would have been revealed in the first episode, before you even meet Thor.
Jul 8, 2019 8:35 PM
I Hate My Son

Dec 2011
Holy fuck I am obsessed with this show. Waiting three weeks for episode four is going to be excruciating.
Jul 8, 2019 8:47 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. I like it when a show takes its time, but at episode 3, this is really starting to drag. If this was an on-going series, I would understand the pace. But with only 24 episodes, this is beginning to go too slowly.

Thors in his younger days seemed to be arrogant and less caring, but once he brought a child into the world, his worldview began to change. It's nice to know that a character that has seemed inherently flawless so far did indeed have his own issues in the past.

Honestly, I just hope Thorfinn's fine ass sister is going to be ok.
Jul 8, 2019 9:47 PM

Oct 2017
Niello said:
AdrianRubinsky said:

They are not. Thorfinn at this point in the series is a brat. But he doesn't get the kind of special treatment Eren got from people around him. He's a brat and people treat him as a brat. He also isn't anywhere near as mindless as Eren.

I mean fine if you don't like AOT but Eren didn't get special treatment Jean and many others thought he was incredibly reckless and stupid. Eren himself points out that his behavior led to the death of many of his friends and he wasn't the best choice for the receiving the Titan powers and guys like Levi definitely saw him as a reckless brat in early AOT when he was that way. Of course you can feel Vinland does it vastly better (I like both immensely but slightly prefer Vinland as an overall story) but everything you are criticizing AOT of not doing it actually does.

They aren't similar and as they move forward in both of their stories they have even less similarities but its not for the reasons your stating. Both characters get what's coming to them and both are changed drastically from the experiences of their worlds in pretty different ways.

People need to stop talking or comparing the series they are two very different kinds of stories thematically.
BilboBaggins365Jul 8, 2019 9:54 PM
Jul 8, 2019 10:02 PM

Apr 2019
TolkienFan365 said:
Niello said:

I mean fine if you don't like AOT but Eren didn't get special treatment Jean and many others thought he was incredibly reckless and stupid. Eren himself points out that his behavior led to the death of many of his friends and he wasn't the best choice for the receiving the Titan powers and guys like Levi definitely saw him as a reckless brat in early AOT when he was that way. Of course you can feel Vinland does it vastly better (I like both immensely but slightly prefer Vinland as an overall story) but everything you are criticizing AOT of not doing it actually does.

They aren't similar and as they move forward in both of their stories they have even less similarities but its not for the reasons your stating. Both characters get what's coming to them and both are changed drastically from the experiences of their worlds in pretty different ways.

People need to stop talking or comparing the series they are two very different kinds of stories thematically.

clap clap clap clap
*the clap echoes in Asgard

as you said the shoes have nothing to do with each other

so guys
i heard that Love Live is like a lot better than Vinland Saga.

it has more intricate plot and deeper characters, overall better characterization and is just a fantastic show, vinland doesn't hold a candle.
You son of a .. turtle

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

392 by joelius__0 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.