Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 14, 2019 7:39 AM

Jan 2019
So when it comes to One Piece i have always avoided it due to the length of the show, but there are many things i love about it. Character designs, Storylines and Arcs, Figures based on the characters, and much more. I want to get into the show and enjoy it but i feel like i have so many other shows i wanna watch instead, and One Piece would take up alot of time just to catch up on. So overall is it worth the watch?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 14, 2019 8:00 AM

Feb 2015
The anime is pretty shitty later on, but the manga is great. One Piece has a reputation that it went downhill a few years ago, but that's mostly because the arcs are much longer now and since One Piece is going for such a long time, most people are starting to lose their patience.

OP is pretty damn good if you're looking for a large scale adventure story with an exotic world and some crazy foreshadowing (especially considering how long it is). Not recommend if you're allergic to shounen troupes or if you're impatient.
May 14, 2019 8:04 AM
Dec 2017
OmegaTheOtaku said:
So when it comes to One Piece i have always avoided it due to the length of the show, but there are many things i love about it. Character designs, Storylines and Arcs, Figures based on the characters, and much more. I want to get into the show and enjoy it but i feel like i have so many other shows i wanna watch instead, and One Piece would take up alot of time just to catch up on. So overall is it worth the watch?

i'd say it's worth to watch it .
i think you will like it because you said that you like the designs and storylines .
for the lenght just d'ont get scared because a lot of people can catch up in 3 or 4 months ( i remember that i watched the first 700 episodes in 80 days )

of course it's better to watch 5 or 10 episode everyday if you have time.
most people just don't like the character designs but since you like it it want be a probleme for you.

my recommandation is to start it and decide if it's worth or not by your self
if like reading just try the manga .( althought you would mess sa lot of good vioce actors and sountracks )
the animation isn't that greattho.. but i think it's not a big problem if you enjoy the story
just try tgo decide by your self and d'ont let others decide for you because everyone has deffernet taste in anime
note that one piece start slow so you may not like the first arcs and it start getting better after alabasta arc
i hope this would help you .

May 14, 2019 8:12 AM

Jul 2015
I'd say yes for the story, and no for the animation. The animation is rather simple and not very fancy.

After around episode 400 the arcs will feel longer, even at one point the episode starts after 8 minutes. So you can easily skip those minutes. There occur also a lot of recap moments later on.
This will somewhat test your patience.

I'd suggest to watch the 10~20 something episodes before deciding to drop it. In my opinion, the story gets real good around episode 30 (Arlong Park arc).

May 14, 2019 8:14 AM

Aug 2018
I think so. The more i see it, the greater i appreciate it. Its not something you can watch on a weekly basis though. Catching up every few months is best
May 14, 2019 8:15 AM

May 2014
The anime is pretty good up to the early 300's, but after that it goes downhill. Even then the manga is just so much better in terms of artwork and story telling.

The manga is the way to go with One Piece.
May 14, 2019 8:18 AM

May 2013
Stick to the manga from scratch. There is a colored version available online. This versions lag around 100 chapters from the uncolored version. Plus you don't have to face any pacing issues depending on how fast you burn through the pages.

The anime is pure garbage and takes ages to get a point. Very draggy.

Story wise it is okay, world building is quite fancy, characters are hit or miss. Nevertheless, if you are looking for some decent adventure shounen to spend time with, then go for it.
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 14, 2019 8:23 AM

Nov 2010
IMO, it's definitely worth the watch. The story is epic and it gets better for me later on. The early arcs are also great, especially the Alabasta, Skypiea, Enies Lobby and the summit war. I'm actually in the process of rewatching it again from episode 1 - 500+(I'm skipping all the fillers along the way). I'm currently at episode 92.
May 14, 2019 8:26 AM

May 2018
For me it's at its best around Thriller Bark and Impel Down.
May 14, 2019 8:35 AM

Aug 2017
i've only read to the end of the second main story arc, Baroque Works, and my conclusion is, at it's best it is fun, exciting and memorable, at it's worst it is slow and boring. i'd recommend giving it a try, but not much beyond that
May 14, 2019 8:55 AM

Jul 2013
It's worth watching till you get older, it is based on basic literature after all. Basic literature is cheery and simplified while T.S. Eliot novels are complex and less cheery. When you're older, you will want to drop One Piece in favor of advanced literature.
May 14, 2019 9:43 AM

Dec 2017
Only, if you have a lot of time

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

May 14, 2019 9:48 AM
Nov 2017
Manga? Yes! Anime? Not really. I hope they just make one piece become a season anime rather than make it just for the money, because hey, it's one piece, we will get money from it.

I know, it's strange to choose manga than anime, but it's not because of the filler or bad animation, it's just, they add something that has nothing to do with the manga. To be honest, luffy vs doflamingo probably one of the best duel for me in the manga, but in anime, somehow they made luffy more weaker to make the anime longer so it can be 20 minutes in a half chapter.
May 14, 2019 9:51 AM

Jan 2019
I would say its worth it.
But in the end, It depends on you how many Eps u can watch a day if u watch like 3 Eps a day it will take around a year but if u have a lot of free time and can binge-watch u can give it a go. I was so into it I finished like 800 Eps in 40 days, lol.
May 14, 2019 9:53 AM

Oct 2018
Worth it if you have patience. It's one of those anime that a lot of people drop because they simply can't commit to watching it all the way through. I've moved on to the manga cause I caught up with the anime itself. I love that Nami gets a new outfit every Arc or sooner than that eehee.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
May 14, 2019 9:57 AM

Jan 2009
just read the manga, i tried watching some episodes of the anime of it from time to time over the decade and its like animating 1 chapter of manga (that you can read for like 5-10 minutes) into 1 episode of anime (that you will have to watch for 25 minutes) fucking waste of time there

and bonus that i read sometime here in the forums that One Piece has colored version done by fans so go ahead and read that
May 14, 2019 10:02 AM

Aug 2017
I'd say read it, don't watch it. Too many fillers in an already long story
May 14, 2019 10:07 AM

Jan 2018
Part of the reason I love the animated medium is that I can experience a wide range of different stories without too great of a time investment for each one. As someone who hasn't seen One Piece, this is my stance:

73 one-cour series > 884 episodes of One Piece
37 two-cour series > 884 episodes of One Piece

To each their own, though.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 14, 2019 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
Greyleaf said:
Part of the reason I love the animated medium is that I can experience a wide range of different stories without too great of a time investment for each one. As someone who hasn't seen One Piece, this is my stance:

Bit of weird logic there. Some series with greater time investment gives much better payoff than some two cour series, with more fleshed out characters, different flavors in the same story, grand scope and lots of other reasons. It's one of the reason why I consider Visual novel medium with so much investment to be a superior medium.

Ultimately it depends on the anime itself, for One piece it's probably better to read the manga because of its pacing/fillers.
May 14, 2019 10:20 AM
May 2019
the so many episodes are worth it. the characters grow throughout all the episodes is amazing.
May 14, 2019 10:20 AM

Apr 2014
It's worth it if you enjoy the show yes. And if you don't then no.
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
May 14, 2019 10:21 AM

Mar 2016
It's not worth it anymore. You'll only be disappointed when you catch up
May 14, 2019 10:34 AM
May 2019
lot of the battles are fun to watch and plus the amazing arcs. I admit it is a long series to binge watch but very worth it. the alabasta was the biggest step to binge watch.
May 14, 2019 10:37 AM

Jan 2018
Frostbytes said:
Greyleaf said:

Bit of weird logic there. Some series with greater time investment gives much better payoff than some two cour series, with more fleshed out characters, different flavors in the same story, grand scope and lots of other reasons. It's one of the reason why I consider Visual novel medium with so much investment to be a superior medium.

Ultimately it depends on the anime itself, for One piece it's probably better to read the manga because of its pacing/fillers.

I understand your point, and that definitely applies to one of my favorites, Kemono no Souja Erin. Over 50 episodes and three time skips, the protagonist becomes one of the most well-developed characters I've ever seen. The same goes for the cast of Aria and how their relationships build over the 57 episodes, as well as the phenomenal supporting cast of FMA:B in its 64. I don't literally mean I'm going to solely seek out one or two cour series, but frankly anything with hundreds upon hundreds of episodes is the antithesis of what I want from this medium. At that point it's just dragging on in my eyes, and I would feel as if I missed out on so many other great short stories in the time I spent on a singular title of that length.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges

May 14, 2019 10:38 AM

Apr 2014
The only reason I still read OP weekly is because I've invested too much time. I will see this through till the end.
May 14, 2019 10:41 AM
Jul 2018
Greyleaf said:
Frostbytes said:

I understand your point, and that definitely applies to one of my favorites, Kemono no Souja Erin. Over 50 episodes and three time skips, the protagonist becomes one of the most well-developed characters I've ever seen. The same goes for the cast of Aria and how their relationships build over the 57 episodes, as well as the phenomenal supporting cast of FMA:B in its 64. I don't literally mean I'm going to solely seek out one or two cour series, but frankly anything with hundreds upon hundreds of episodes is the antithesis of what I want from this medium. At that point it's just dragging on in my eyes, and I would feel as if I missed out on so many other great short stories in the time I spent on a singular title of that length.

Oh alright, I can relate to that at least, to some extent. For example, people always say how Gintama gets better 60/70 episodes, but if it takes that much time investment just to get to the good parts, I may as well skip it entirely and watch other shows.
May 14, 2019 10:42 AM

Oct 2018
oh damn, it is worth. it's a must watch anime. I will tell you that I am fairy tail fans and used to hate one piece so much more than you believe. but after I run out of good anime so I give it a try to watch one piece. of course not from ep1...maybe around 200-300 and within that time I grow to like one piece and now I am a big fan of this anime.

10/10.
May 14, 2019 10:43 AM

Aug 2016
No it's not. Avoid it.

It gets horrible later on. Like the last guy that Luffy fought it took like 20 episode to conclude. When in reality it should've maybe taken 5-7 MAX.... In one episode the guy he was fighting took up like 5 minutes of screen time just walking to one of his female allies.. It's a joke.
May 14, 2019 10:46 AM

Jan 2018
Frostbytes said:
Greyleaf said:

Oh alright, I can relate to that at least, to some extent. For example, people always say how Gintama gets better 60/70 episodes, but if it takes that much time investment just to get to the good parts, I may as well skip it entirely and watch other shows.

Yeah, exactly. I can see how my first post seemed like I was ragging on longer shows in general, but it was more just me expressing my disdain towards (what appears to be) needlessly long titles, or as you implied, those "wait until episode 95 for it to get good" kind of shows. And tbh, I'm sure the manga for One Piece is very good, though I'd probably never read it because frankly pirate themes just don't interest me, lol. =P

"
― Jorge Luis Borges

May 14, 2019 10:47 AM

Apr 2014
JFuji said:
No it's not. Avoid it.

It gets horrible later on. Like the last guy that Luffy fought it took like 20 episode to conclude. When in reality it should've maybe taken 5-7 MAX.... In one episode the guy he was fighting took up like 5 minutes of screen time just walking to one of his female allies.. It's a joke.

People unironically watch the One Piece anime?
May 14, 2019 11:47 AM

Jan 2019
Issmail22Lawfy said:
OmegaTheOtaku said:

i'd say it's worth to watch it .
i think you will like it because you said that you like the designs and storylines .
for the lenght just d'ont get scared because a lot of people can catch up in 3 or 4 months ( i remember that i watched the first 700 episodes in 80 days )

of course it's better to watch 5 or 10 episode everyday if you have time.
most people just don't like the character designs but since you like it it want be a probleme for you.

my recommandation is to start it and decide if it's worth or not by your self
if like reading just try the manga .( althought you would mess sa lot of good vioce actors and sountracks )
the animation isn't that greattho.. but i think it's not a big problem if you enjoy the story
just try tgo decide by your self and d'ont let others decide for you because everyone has deffernet taste in anime
note that one piece start slow so you may not like the first arcs and it start getting better after alabasta arc
i hope this would help you .

This helps alot! thanks for the advice! and i try not to let other peoples opinions affect what i watch, but i just like a good nudge in the right direction from time to time. Thank you for everything, i will be for sure giving it a shot!
May 14, 2019 11:50 AM

Jan 2019
Stoorainclaire said:
oh damn, it is worth. it's a must watch anime. I will tell you that I am fairy tail fans and used to hate one piece so much more than you believe. but after I run out of good anime so I give it a try to watch one piece. of course not from ep1...maybe around 200-300 and within that time I grow to like one piece and now I am a big fan of this anime.

10/10.

How is Fairy Tail? I hear very mixed opinions about it. And thanks for your advice about One Piece i will be for sure giving it a shot!
May 14, 2019 12:20 PM

Jun 2015
One Piece is among my favorite stories of all time.
Everything from the characters and story to the world, power system, and crazy foreshadowing is done almost perfectly and it's probably the most fascinating shounen you'll ever experience.
Let's address the anime problem, though. A decent chunk of the OP anime is fairly stellar. It has one of the most iconic anime soundtracks and overall it was pretty decent quality. Then the pacing, art, and animation issues kicked in and it went to crap. The topic of when to switch over to the manga or whether or not to watch the anime at all at this point is pretty controversial, but I'd say the first 400 or so episodes are worth watching. The right place to switch over to the manga would be right after the Sabaody Archipelago arc, if you ask me. And don't skip filler. It gives you a better sense of scale of the OP world and often it's pretty good.
Also, if you're wondering about the rewards you get for catching up, there's plenty. From YT videos (even the smallest side characters and loactions in OP are 30 min discussion video-worthy... Tekking is awesome) to the non-canon movies and games which have pretty great highs imo, OP is a gift that keeps on giving, even after you catch up.

In short, don't be scared of OP's length, it's one of the best things to ever come out of Japan.
You'll be laughing, crying, hyping, having fun, and connecting with characters in ways you've probably never imagined. One Piece is a masterpiece.
May 14, 2019 12:29 PM

May 2012
I'm on episode 97

It is not good. It is average at most

I recommend Hunter x Hunter 2011 or JoJo`s Bizarre Adventure if you are looking for long anime. Both are much better than One Piece

Between One Piece and Fairy Tale, I choose fairy Tale even though both are mediocre show, I did like Fairy Tale more out of the two, but keep in mind that I only at episode 97 in one piece. Both are show have filler and some boring comedies. Though fairy tail 3rd season seems to have less filler than previous seasons

Also, I don't see Code Geass in your list. It is must watch anime in my opinion.

I would also like to add that you might also like Jormungand because it similar to Black Lagoon and you gave it high score

thepathMay 14, 2019 12:41 PM
May 14, 2019 12:31 PM
Jan 2019
No. Just thought I'll save you from demise.
But fairy tail is absolutely worth it and beats one piece hands down in most categories.
May 14, 2019 12:32 PM
Apr 2016
thepath said:
I'm on episode 97

It is not good. It is average at most

I recommend Hunter x Hunter 2011 or JoJo`s Bizarre Adventure if you are longing for long anime. Both are much better than One Piece

Keep watching, it will get better and better. Also, I do agree on HxH part, but JoJo is actually garbage, just enjoyable.
--

Yes, I do recommend watching it, and I do think it's worth it. Best thing is how much you'll get attached to the characters, not many anime can attach you as much as One Piece does.
May 14, 2019 12:40 PM

Oct 2010
The first 60 or so episodes are very good, adventure, pirates, fun battles that don't last 30 episodes and the opponent doesn't just leave the main guy there not killing him even though he could've (you'll encounter this later on). The artwork is fine, not too good, not too bad, the characters are cool to watch except for Luffy (main guy), the ecchi fanservice is moderate.
You can always start by watching some specials, ovas or some movies, some of them aren't related to the main plot but they have lots of action and pirate stuff.
May 14, 2019 1:48 PM

Oct 2018
OmegaTheOtaku said:
Stoorainclaire said:

10/10.

How is Fairy Tail? I hear very mixed opinions about it. And thanks for your advice about One Piece i will be for sure giving it a shot!

yup, it's true, there is negative and positive about it. fairy tail is fast pace compares to one piece which is a slow pace. too much fanservice and the fight scene is lacking, to be honest. (of course not every time). the character, music the art is cool and attractive and maybe this is among the reasons why I'm still watching.

if one piece took me 50 episodes to get into it then fairy tail only took me 5-10 episodes. if you ask me again which one do you need to watch first? the answer is one piece.
May 14, 2019 2:30 PM

Jan 2019
Stoorainclaire said:
OmegaTheOtaku said:

yup, it's true, there is negative and positive about it. fairy tail is fast pace compares to one piece which is a slow pace. too much fanservice and the fight scene is lacking, to be honest. (of course not every time). the character, music the art is cool and attractive and maybe this is among the reasons why I'm still watching.

if one piece took me 50 episodes to get into it then fairy tail only took me 5-10 episodes. if you ask me again which one do you need to watch first? the answer is one piece.

I'm in the middle of FMA but plan on trying to be consistent with catching up on one piece.
May 14, 2019 3:16 PM

Nov 2011
One Piece have a good premise and world building... But the problem is the story is too repetitive, BOTH anime and manga (of course because they are the same story lol).. Anime is a good adaptation of manga for about 300 episodes..
I am honestly don't know how the anime still has good score in MAL except for fanboys who deluded himself and refused to accept that their favorites is getting worse and worse ...

Is it worth watching or not ? It depends if you don't mind a repetitive plot ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 14, 2019 4:43 PM

Jan 2019
Jim_Heart said:
One Piece have a good premise and world building... But the problem is the story is too repetitive, BOTH anime and manga (of course because they are the same story lol).. Anime is a good adaptation of manga for about 300 episodes..
I am honestly don't know how the anime still has good score in MAL except for fanboys who deluded himself and refused to accept that their favorites is getting worse and worse ...

Is it worth watching or not ? It depends if you don't mind a repetitive plot ...

It can bug me, but i just feel that i can watch so many shows in the time it would take me to catch up.
May 14, 2019 4:47 PM

Mar 2018
A few years ago I caught up with one piece, but after not watching it for so long the details of most the episodes are blurry. If you decide to watch it and stop suddenly, its gonna be tedious to like re-watch all of it to gain your knowledge back. After the
I literally lost interest in the show.
May 14, 2019 5:01 PM
Oct 2017
It's long but it's absolutely worth every single second of the investment, watching it feels like your on a long journey, it's an experience that can't be replicated, once you pick it up, I promise, you won't put it down.
May 14, 2019 7:32 PM

Nov 2008
I think it's a GOOD DEAL easier to read than watch. Sometimes the anime's pacing bothers me a bit (though there are very good moments too). But it's overwhelming....

But it is a decent manga.

And this is coming from someone who likes cutesy, girly stuff the most...someone who SWORE she'd never get into this series. xD

May 14, 2019 7:43 PM
Jul 2018
OmegaTheOtaku said:

The anime has gone downhill alot, to the point where the studio is starting to put filler into canon material so the episodes are 35% filler and 65% canon. Not only that, the animation has gone to shit. If you want to watch the anime then I suggest you watch up to the Enies Lobby arc (Episode 325) then just start reading the manga from there, and just watch the anime for scenes you like, or you can just read the manga from the start and watch the anime for scenes you like.
May 14, 2019 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
For me, it’s not worth it since it’s too long. I could probably watch more than 50 shows instead of attempting to catch up with it, but I’m not you. Try watching 2 episodes to see how much you like it, and if you REALLY like, then just go for it.
May 14, 2019 7:56 PM

May 2017
AshitaNoJonas said:
The anime is pretty shitty later on, but the manga is great. One Piece has a reputation that it went downhill a few years ago, but that's mostly because the arcs are much longer now and since One Piece is going for such a long time, most people are starting to lose their patience.

OP is pretty damn good if you're looking for a large scale adventure story with an exotic world and some crazy foreshadowing (especially considering how long it is). Not recommend if you're allergic to shounen troupes or if you're impatient.
That's how you feel, I agree that the cake island arc was a bit letdown but it was still fucking good, the wano arc up till this point has been really awesome, especially the last few chapters and when the war starts I'm pretty sure it won't let you down.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2019 7:59 PM

May 2017
Gythia said:
OmegaTheOtaku said:

The anime has gone downhill alot, to the point where the studio is starting to put filler into canon material so the episodes are 35% filler and 65% canon. Not only that, the animation has gone to shit. If you want to watch the anime then I suggest you watch up to the Enies Lobby arc (Episode 325) then just start reading the manga from there, and just watch the anime for scenes you like, or you can just read the manga from the start and watch the anime for scenes you like.
yeah totally agree with you the manga is very good and the anime shouldn't stop people for getting into One piece. It's too good to be left out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2019 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
Those who say One Piece anime is not what it used to be: has it reached the bottom line of Naruto and Bleach bad episode arcs or is it still a far cry from that?
May 15, 2019 5:53 AM

Apr 2011
YES.
I just started it myself last month after years of considering it. I wish I had done this back then simply because of how much I'm liking it now!
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1089 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FMmatron - Jan 6

179 by Willex05 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 449 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - May 1, 2010

68 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 448 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Apr 24, 2010

79 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 447 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Apr 17, 2010

86 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago

» Have you ever thought 🤔 about this , it's been on my mind for a long time

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 30

26 by ashutoshanime »»
Yesterday, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.