Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 11, 2019 2:14 PM

Jan 2016
Best kind of anime. Fast pacing but it works.
Apr 11, 2019 5:41 PM
Jun 2017
Now we have the OP magician in name of shin. Well that magic sure has are powerful and in need of control. Hahaha...

Nice episode overall
Apr 11, 2019 6:31 PM

Mar 2009
Well, I knew this was isekai going into it, and all the usual isekai tropes are there. Obviously. Whatever.

But what I didn't know was that this takes place in a magic school. Please don't bring that shitty genre back, Japan. *shudders at the thought of more Mahouka*
Apr 11, 2019 7:04 PM

Feb 2011
absolute garabage!

Apr 11, 2019 8:39 PM

Oct 2014
What's the point of this show
I thought it was labelled harem or even romance but it's neither. So...some kid gets into comical mishaps via social misunderstandings or huge magic power?
His lack of common sense would have been more interesting if they took it to the logical extremes, like he doesn't recognize those girls as being cute cause he probably hasn't seen many kids his age, or fails to recognize those guys harassing the girl (maybe that's not too hard to see).
I hope it's relevant that this kid was reincarnated from another world or that first 30-60 seconds of him being a office worker will seem incredibly pointless. But honestly I'm about to drop this series right now.
Apr 11, 2019 8:50 PM

Mar 2010
Pretty meh. idk if i willl continue if it becomes a standard maguc school storyline
Apr 11, 2019 8:53 PM

Nov 2009
plutodiplomat said:
What's the point of this show
I thought it was labelled harem or even romance but it's neither. So...some kid gets into comical mishaps via social misunderstandings or huge magic power?
His lack of common sense would have been more interesting if they took it to the logical extremes, like he doesn't recognize those girls as being cute cause he probably hasn't seen many kids his age, or fails to recognize those guys harassing the girl (maybe that's not too hard to see).
I hope it's relevant that this kid was reincarnated from another world or that first 30-60 seconds of him being a office worker will seem incredibly pointless. But honestly I'm about to drop this series right now.

"Girls"...

not really, it only works if he doesn't have memory from Earth, which he was already an adult and I am pretty sure he wasn't a shut-in that never met up with girls.

This series is pretty much about OP getting into high ranking positions and becoming OP.

If you think he's OP now, he'll be even more OP.

I kinda stopped caring about the manga tho, cause like this episode said "that's Cliche"... which is what this entire series will become (or currently is in manga). So I just skim through the manga.

It was an interesting series, until MC decides to go full-on possessive.
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 11, 2019 9:03 PM

Mar 2019
I usually don't care too much for this type of anime. However, I'm going into this one with an open mind because it seems really sweet. I like the grandfather and I like the idea that they kept it a secret that he is part of royalty.
Apr 11, 2019 10:40 PM

Feb 2019
just turn your brain off and enjoy, it has all the isekai trope in it but its enjoyable

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Apr 11, 2019 11:26 PM

May 2010
Good thing I can reset my mood and enjoy every isekai that thrown at me :P
Apr 12, 2019 12:32 AM
Mar 2014
Another great alternate world story.

Would be neat if something like that happened after death, like all those other alternate world stories.
Apr 12, 2019 1:16 AM

Nov 2017
Finally another magic school anime similar to Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor.

However from the OP it seems there will be many other male characters too other than the MC at the school, so I think this one's gonna be quite promising. Possibly there will be other romantic pairings other than the main couple, like in Darling in the Franxx for example ?
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Apr 12, 2019 2:25 AM

Mar 2010
I like how the main heroine was introduced by her boobs first before her face, heh. That doesn't give me much hope for younger female characters in the show in terms of respectability.

Anyway beyond the perfunctory isekai setup, the most striking thing is how bland the visual direction is in anything other than the battles. Shin entire life until the academy was presented as dry as possible if it were just something to go through motions with no flair. Everything has named card attached and a lot of dialogue feel less like actual conversations and more like overly long expositions. I can appreciate that it didn't drag out things but it might be little too fast. Well at least there no game lore mechanics for a change.

The most interesting thing in first episode is how good the fight choreography is and the main character's lack of common sense. The later could amusing for a while but I doubr It will make me stay through the whole thing on it's own. I think I will give it one more week.

Iron_MawApr 12, 2019 7:21 PM
Apr 12, 2019 5:00 AM

Jul 2015
Looks like another Isekai Smartphone in a school setting... I will give 3 eps.

Apr 12, 2019 5:00 AM

Oct 2017
Without the "Sasuga MC-sama" mentions, this anime feels incomplete.

Hope we get these mentions in next episode or this isekai anime is shit.
Apr 12, 2019 5:03 AM

Apr 2018
Kinda boring, but the ed is really nice.
Apr 12, 2019 7:24 AM
May 2017
This was trash. Pure trash. Absolute garbage.
Apr 12, 2019 10:09 AM

Jan 2019
Here we go again ...
Apr 12, 2019 10:19 AM
Aug 2017
Was that Kazuma's mansion?!
Apr 12, 2019 11:26 AM

Apr 2018
Swagernator said:
The fuck was this shit ... so let me get this straight ... mc-kun is op as fuck, he has so much plot armor that even the author himself cant kill him, hes like fucking god in this world. On top of that he is as usually for isekai mcs dumb, and you even telling me that this is just another one of those "im super special and edgy in my classrom" type of anime like clasroom of elite and bunny girl ? But this time in isekai world ?

The fuck.

I can see so many crap isekai tropes in this, im gonna vomit.

How does the mc have any plot armor? Plot armor is a plot devise that force the story in an unnatural direction in order to prevent a character from dying, how can that happen when the protagonist is op as fuck from the premise? Calling the premise plot armor just makes no sense.
Apr 12, 2019 3:42 PM
Mar 2018
Ah I see that this anime was also inspired by the book "101 of Isekai". It's the same formula, nothing really new to it. At least it's self aware of it's clichéd mediocrity...
Apr 12, 2019 6:08 PM
Mar 2012
Eh that's a ton of isekai tropes... Basic art but good fights for now.
The old folks were slightly funny. They explained a bit of magic mechanics so that's a plus.

Apr 12, 2019 6:14 PM

Nov 2017
I heard that this anime has an interesting antagonist, so I think all of us should watch until the antagonist appears.
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Apr 12, 2019 7:46 PM
Jan 2019
Blue hair is love interest and not red hair😲
Apr 12, 2019 7:51 PM

Jan 2013
What a great start, i am actually very surprised by how good this was.
Merlin made some good funny scenes xD That moment when you teach your grandson all magics possible but forget to teach him life skills xD

Was that a hydrogen bomb?xD

I wonder if he is really "behind the line" how the king said or he will be the nº1? Probably he will be the nº1 haha
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 12, 2019 9:16 PM
Jan 2016
Damn, what a great start, i was expecting something taht good since last season!

We coudl see how Shin's life started in that world, with soem age phases, and her power really increased so much, Merlin didn't teach him social skill xD

I find this comedy really intertaining, the moment when they reveal their identities was really fun with Shin's reaction!

Shin saving girls was a cool fight, and that end was awesome, i can't blame Shin's reaction, teh blue hair girl is really "beyoung cute"!
Apr 12, 2019 9:39 PM

Aug 2012
I'm a bit surprised how well liked this seems to be, I kinda found it a bit boring. I'll give it 3 episodes at least.
Apr 13, 2019 2:11 AM
May 2016
having read the manga for a long time, i hope the adaptation is as good as the manga. My only problem is Sicily's hair looks too blue rather than green-ish blue.

For now, i'll just wait for shin to go all out against the demons
Apr 13, 2019 2:30 AM

Jan 2013
that mansion comparison is a textbook example of asset flipping lol.
Apr 13, 2019 5:44 AM

May 2009
zerotwosdarling said:
Kinda boring, but the ed is really nice.

It was opening, actual ED next week.
Apr 13, 2019 10:28 AM

Jul 2016
Another magic academy? OH YES SIGN ME UP!!11

oh and truck-kun strike again

(tho I was not gonna watch it but I'm glad I did)
ZultrixApr 13, 2019 10:34 AM
Apr 13, 2019 10:45 AM

Dec 2011
Why so many are saying shit about this with only one episode airing.I read the manga and this Isekai is not your typical one since it has one of the best Isekai villain and romance.
Apr 13, 2019 1:45 PM

Dec 2016
kaitonic said:
Why so many are saying shit about this with only one episode airing.

When a show tries it's hardest to be the most META to a particular fandom and instead of using a storyboard and a decent script, it uses a checklist of isekai tropes in one hand, there's really no room to expect anything good about it.

kaitonic said:
I read the manga and this Isekai is not your typical one since it has one of the best Isekai villain and romance.

If I had a dime every time a manga fan says "oh this isekai is going to be different" I'd be rich by now.
Apr 13, 2019 1:52 PM

Feb 2014
was so positive it made me so happy :) great anime, i love overpowered characters
Apr 13, 2019 4:17 PM

Jul 2015
kaitonic said:
Why so many are saying shit about this with only one episode airing.I read the manga and this Isekai is not your typical one since it has one of the best Isekai villain and romance.

First episode left really bad impression.
Judging by it alone it's a complete rip-off of any other isekai with generic Mary Sue, overpowered for no reason MC-kun and have already checked almost every overused cliche.
It's so unoriginal, to the point, that they did not even bothered to use any other stock image than the one from Konosuba.

Apr 13, 2019 4:55 PM

Nov 2017
Piromysl said:
kaitonic said:

Judging by it alone it's a complete rip-off of any other isekai with generic Mary Sue, overpowered for no reason MC-kun and have already checked almost every overused cliche.
It's so unoriginal, to the point, that they did not even bothered to use any other stock image than the one from Konosuba.

Well, this is an anime with these 2 elements present too, and that is "Isekai" and "Overpowered MC".

If one doesn't like an anime with an Overpowered MC, then one can simply avoid watching it. However, what makes Mago different from other recent Isekai anime, based from what I've heard, is that it has a memorable and interesting villain. For example, can you remember any villains worth remembering from Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara kuru sou desu yo or Death March kara Hajimaru-something ??

Can't remember, right ? But this one will have an interesting villain, so it will be different from other Isekai anime. It will be an antagonist worth remembering, like Voldemort from Harry Potter series or Aizen Sousuke from Bleach manga series. An interesting antagonist is always important in my criteria fro watching or reading something.

Apr 13, 2019 5:02 PM

Jul 2015
Ehurvaks said:
Piromysl said:

Well, this is an anime with these 2 elements present too, and that is "Isekai" and "Overpowered MC".

If one doesn't like an anime with an Overpowered MC, then one can simply avoid watching it. However, what makes Mago different from other recent Isekai anime, based from what I've heard, is that it has a memorable and interesting villain. For example, can you remember any villains worth remembering from Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara kuru sou desu yo or Death March kara Hajimaru-something ??

Can't remember, right ? But this one will have an interesting villain, so it will be different from other Isekai anime. It will be an antagonist worth remembering, like Voldemort from Harry Potter series or Aizen Sousuke from Bleach manga series. An interesting antagonist is always important in my criteria fro watching or reading something.

I hope it is true. As I mentioned already, so far, first episode left really bad impression, but following 3-episide rule, we should give it a try.
I definitely will.

Apr 13, 2019 7:15 PM
Sep 2018
Let's aside the fact his strong as hell, but the fact he's not knowing any of common sense is litle to much? So basically before he transfer to another world his already a lack of common sense right? Or is just me who's misunderstanding it?
Apr 13, 2019 7:55 PM
Mar 2019
I honestly do like the premise of the show. It seems basic but at least it makes sense and the animation looks great. It doesn’t take itself seriously which is good because it honestly would be shitty and boring if it did. I don’t mind the whole high school setting but like why is this an isekai? It really didn’t have to be it changes nothing in the plot. It really would’ve been better if he was just born a prodigy, not every protagonist has to come from another world
Apr 13, 2019 9:24 PM

May 2014
I don't understand MAL community. They shit about overused cliches and that there is nothing worthwhile about this serie yet it gets pretty damn high score...

At this point I can foresee Arifureta with +8.50
Apr 13, 2019 9:37 PM

May 2014
Ehurvaks said:
Piromysl said:

A "memorable and interesting villain" is just that, a good character among the rest. Yes, an interesting character (not only antagonists) can make a serie more enjoyable or worthwhile, but he can't change a serie as a whole, including plot development and other characters. Rokudenashi changed the boring and dense teenager MC for an easy-going, funny and charming adult yet the serie was pretty bad.

So yeah, I highly doubt "it will be different from other Isekai anime" just because it has a good antagonist, and to be honest I pretty doubt he will be THAT good.
Rhapsody-Apr 13, 2019 9:47 PM
Apr 13, 2019 10:17 PM

Nov 2017
Rokudenashi was bad because it not only has no memorable and interesting antagonist, but it repeated the trope of "Female character needs saving by the MC" multiple times throughout the show, that one might assume that the Author doesn't think of females as equals to men ( at least in fighting or magic skills, Kenja no Mago, Strike The Blood, Date Alive, etc. , feature strong heroines/female characters that doesn't need saving by the male MC for the umpteenth time )

I hate Rokudenashi for overusing the "Damsel in Distress" trope.

Apr 13, 2019 11:19 PM
Apr 2019
I skip many isekai before.. like slime smartphone tate no yuusha. but i think i'll try watch this for now..

i need some trashy anime to calibrate my judgment for rating..
Apr 14, 2019 12:37 AM

Jan 2013
This is getting more spoken negativity than it may deserve considering most anime in general or at some point have or become cliche's.

I personally loved this first episode for how adorable he was as a kid. The interactions with his grandpa were so sweet and his grandpa's reactions were soooo silly and adorable to watch as well, lol. Feels rare for me to see a character physically grow up in anime.

I wouldn't consider him dumb either, his grandpa clearly mentions how fast he grasps things. He is in a new location not aware of the customs and norms. It is silly he didn't ask what else there was to the world beyond the place they've lived in the past 15 years but I could see him just enjoying the comfort of only needing to learn, train and otherwise be pampered compared to his worklife.

The one aspect I did not enjoy however was his overreaction to the blue haired character. Reminds me too much of the style of anime that ends up prioritizing fan-service over anything which gets tiring for me after a few eps.
Apr 14, 2019 3:54 AM

Nov 2017
Jica said:
I skip many isekai before.. like slime smartphone tate no yuusha. but i think i'll try watch this for now..

i need some trashy anime to calibrate my judgment for rating..

This is more of a magic school anime than a typical Isekai anime.

Apr 14, 2019 6:33 AM
Apr 2019
I'm embarassed to say that I actually enjoyed that...
Apr 14, 2019 7:12 AM
Oct 2016
Isekai the best genre of all time...absolutely loving the show
Apr 14, 2019 7:27 AM

Oct 2017
Its fine better than some others

Apr 14, 2019 9:14 AM

Jun 2014
I was actually liking the child-old man dynamic much more. Then they just skipped it to his adulthood and it became something that we have already seen multiple times before. Eh.
Apr 14, 2019 10:19 AM
Jul 2015
Haptism93 said:
It was okay, I guess. Synopsis made it clear that the main character is going to be OP, but was it really needed to make him the usual idiot MC?

He's not really an idiot. He just lacks common knowledge of the world he's in right now. He doesn't know what a magic academy or a demon hunter is, he doesn't know what things cost here, etc.. Because he was raised in a forest.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

279 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 22, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2019

96 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 18, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2019

107 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

129 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

77 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 14, 7:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.