Forum Settings
Forums

Discussion on Vic Mignogna and the recent controversy

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 14, 2019 1:26 PM

Aug 2007
SparkingVolt said:

There is a reason though. If you are willing to defend someone who has done countless disturbing and shitty things then go for it. But I'm not.

I defend anybody when there's no real evidence. I've done it with actual guilty people too before they were revealed to have done it. Innocent until proven guilty is how life should be.

ghostliness said:
TomDay said:

so in other words, evidence. or........?

So you're just going to ignore the whole other half where I ask do you not find multiple testimonies to be pretty damning? Also there are photos and there are videos of him circulating being touchy. Some were shown to be disproved while others weren't. Keep in mind a lot of the allegation date back YEARS where girls are talking to be 14/15/16. And in private. They're not going to have thought about pulling out their phones and recording it and like I said, 10 years ago when he was an ass to me, I was in middle school and had a flip phone that could only make calls and send texts. To just flat out deny everyone's statements shows that you're almost wanting it to just be a witch hunt and a "hate all men" deal because god forbid he did do something wrong.
Also didn't Funimation do an internal investigation which led to his firing? If nothing was found he should be safe, yeah?

He was fired because the other voice actors didn't like him.
Feb 14, 2019 1:29 PM

Sep 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:

Yeah but like in what workplace does your biggest money maker get fired because everyone else doesn't like them. That doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.
Feb 14, 2019 3:03 PM

Nov 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:

I defend anybody when there's no real evidence. I've done it with actual guilty people too before they were revealed to have done it. Innocent until proven guilty is how life should be.

It's a great thing that molestations are something pretty much extremely hard to prove then. If you are a molester, I mean

But why didn't they like him? :thinkingemoji:

Nerdanimefan1992 said:

Just proving how far left leaning funimation is

Does this mean the right doesn't care about rape?

Feb 14, 2019 3:29 PM

Feb 2015
ghostliness said:

So you're just going to ignore the whole other half where I ask do you not find multiple testimonies to be pretty damning? Also there are photos and there are videos of him circulating being touchy. Some were shown to be disproved while others weren't. Keep in mind a lot of the allegation date back YEARS where girls are talking to be 14/15/16. And in private. They're not going to have thought about pulling out their phones and recording it and like I said, 10 years ago when he was an ass to me, I was in middle school and had a flip phone that could only make calls and send texts. To just flat out deny everyone's statements shows that you're almost wanting it to just be a witch hunt and a "hate all men" deal because god forbid he did do something wrong.
Also didn't Funimation do an internal investigation which led to his firing? If nothing was found he should be safe, yeah?

so you want word of mouth above fans coming out and uploading their pictures that others claim they were involved in with vic's scandal? many female fans have come out proving their own pictures were taken out of context (in other words, EVIDENCE) and you're just like "Well man....A lotta people said stuff..."

k.
Feb 14, 2019 3:42 PM

Nov 2009
papsoshea said:
Here's a pretty good video showcasing the origins of the allegations.

What's with Youtubes and this inability to not be obnoxious? 3 seconds in and I already had to close the video.

Also lmao I noticed OP is trying to push animegate again.
Feb 14, 2019 3:47 PM

Mar 2012
Why is the anime community full of disillusioned, emasculated dudes who are ultra sensitive to the faintest whiff of any woman doing anything other than passively deferring to them?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 14, 2019 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
I guess you'd have to wait for the courts' decision on this. Hmm, they could have held off on terminating him a little longer to let the dust settle. Wouldn't be so messy that way.

Anyway. even if 19 of the allegations against him are false but one is true, he's still guilty so I wouldn't get your hopes too high, Vic fans. I'm sure as an italian, affection comes more naturally to him but he should have known better. Fans and colleagues are two seperate things.

If the other voice actors are lying about the alleged encounters, that also has to be proven in court. Burden of proof is on them although if they had proof, they likely would have released it by now. So even though they could be telling the truth, if the proof isn't there, the Vic fans can go on the offensive and they couldn't be refuted.

What a shitshow honestly. I liked his voice as Ed. Made the experience more enjoyable.

But rumors have been floating for a while from what I've read. He should have quit while he was ahead. This isn't Italy Vic.

I don't watch dubs really at all anymore but I wonder if Mignogna could have any standing in court against his former colleagues. I wonder what that would do to Funimation. An expensive legal battle and people unsubscribing...

To sum up, I suggest all you people on this thread take a deep breath and wait until this goes to the courts.
Feb 14, 2019 4:22 PM

Mar 2012
Legalistic arguments are so tiring. You'd think that no one could ever know anything without first consulting a team of lawyers. "Innocent until proven guilty" is the "CO2 is plant food" of this conversation, i.e. a vacuous red herring.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 14, 2019 4:35 PM

May 2018
HungryForQuality said:
I guess you'd have to wait for the courts' decision on this. Hmm, they could have held off on terminating him a little longer to let the dust settle. Wouldn't be so messy that way.

Anyway. even if 19 of the allegations against him are false but one is true, he's still guilty so I wouldn't get your hopes too high, Vic fans. I'm sure as an italian, affection comes more naturally to him but he should have known better. Fans and colleagues are two seperate things.

If the other voice actors are lying about the alleged encounters, that also has to be proven in court. Burden of proof is on them although if they had proof, they likely would have released it by now. So even though they could be telling the truth, if the proof isn't there, the Vic fans can go on the offensive and they couldn't be refuted.

What a shitshow honestly. I liked his voice as Ed. Made the experience more enjoyable.

But rumors have been floating for a while from what I've read. He should have quit while he was ahead. This isn't Italy Vic.

I don't watch dubs really at all anymore but I wonder if Mignogna could have any standing in court against his former colleagues. I wonder what that would do to Funimation. An expensive legal battle and people unsubscribing...

To sum up, I suggest all you people on this thread take a deep breath and wait until this goes to the courts.

Court is a non-issue. There are very few ways to fight termination of at-will employment, and being HQed in Texas absolutely gives Funimation the upper-hand in any legal battle.
A boycott could be an issue, but I'd have to be convinced actual unsubscribers are popping up and not just a mix of "take up the mantle" crusaders, people who never watch paid media, and general-purpose trolls.
Harem is the opiate of the Anime fandom masses.
Feb 14, 2019 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
ZedClodRaker said:
HungryForQuality said:

Court is a non-issue. There are very few ways to fight termination of at-will employment, and being HQed in Texas absolutely gives Funimation the upper-hand in any legal battle.
A boycott could be an issue, but I'd have to be convinced actual unsubscribers are popping up and not just a mix of "take up the mantle" crusaders, people who never watch paid media, and general-purpose trolls.

Perhaps, I'm certainly no expert on the situation.

I'm interested to see how it will all play out though. I have no bone to pick with either side as I've been privy to false and truthful allegations regarding others as a teenager.

Of course this is a different showdown of a different scale making it all the more entertaining for me. To see that new perspective of destruction, so to speak.

On a smaller scale, I wonder how this thread will end up and whether it will be locked or not.
Feb 14, 2019 5:07 PM

May 2018
HungryForQuality said:
ZedClodRaker said:

Perhaps, I'm certainly no expert on the situation.

I'm interested to see how it will all play out though. I have no bone to pick with either side as I've been privy to false and truthful allegations regarding others as a teenager.

Of course this is a different showdown of a different scale making it all the more entertaining for me. To see that new perspective of destruction, so to speak.

On a smaller scale, I wonder how this thread will end up and whether it will be locked or not.

On the last point, I really have no idea. The principal actors in all of this (Vic, Monica, etc.) seem to have quieted down about this over social media, so that may calm the waters a bit.

There are other revelations, cases of interest that may come to light which could add new angles (e.g. if it comes out which Japanese idol Vic supposedly harassed, etc.)

I do wonder how these will be received.
Feb 14, 2019 5:10 PM

Nov 2017
Vic has had a reputation for this sort of behavior for a long time, backed up by fellow voice actors and workers in the industry. So I'm not surprised things have come to a head. This has been brewing for a while now.
Feb 14, 2019 5:15 PM

Apr 2018
I was initially 100% with Vic, but now I'm trying to remain more neutral (I guess I'm still kinda on his side). Could he have done these things? Sure, but there's also the chance that people have blown this more out of proportion than it needed to be. I'm coming from a point unrelated to his voice-acting. I enjoyed his acting, but I'm not basing a defense off of that.

So far, there has not been any discernable evidence that has suggested he has done anything beyond hugging/kissing people at conventions. I've never been to a convention where he's been, so I can only take personal accounts from fans or opposers with a grain of salt.

The only thing I can say is that if the other voice actors really knew about his behavior for well over 10 years, and said nothing, then they are complicit in his actions. Not talking law enforcement, just basic HR complaints. The idea that all of them knew about this but did not bring it up in any fashion seems suspicious. This is conjecture of course, but sketchy nonetheless.

Monica and Jamie have also been outrageously unprofessional. It's not a problem to be outraged, but with Jamie having the infamous death tweet, as well as Monica's memeworthy "Your tweet has been screenshotted," it isn't hard not to take them seriously. Their PR skills are just horrendous. Plus, Monica hasn't claimed what exactly Vic did to her, which doesn't help her case.

People also underestimate the human ability to lie. Not saying they're all lying of course, but people can and do lie. If it means, say, lying to distance yourself from someone that could possibly harm your public image by association, you can bet they will.

Again, I'm still not completely on Vic's side. However, I'm just remaining under the presumption of innocence since it would be ridiculous to condemn someone over words.

It's also unreasonable to call people who want evidence "victim-blamers." Calling skeptics who want to reserve judgment until indisputable proof has been brought forward "victim-blamers" deflects any willingness to have a civil conversation on the topic.
DoubleJEspejwan6Feb 14, 2019 5:45 PM
Feb 14, 2019 5:29 PM

Apr 2015
I hope counseling does good things for him. People who want the man and his supporters to die in a hole somewhere for making mistakes can fuck themselves. He wants to turn his life around. Leave him the fuck alone.

(To clarify, I do believe Vic is guilty, but I also believe in not completely condemning people from existence no matter how repenting they are.)
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 14, 2019 5:32 PM
Aug 2018
What you're seeing here is sometimes observed as "reality is left-wing". You see, there's a reason politics tends to gravitate towards two wings, and that's because there are two worldviews which have power. One is "accuracy", observing how the world really is. This has power because it matches what actually happens. The other is "defence of privilege", which is whatever lies the powerful are currently using to remain powerful and convince the masses not to overthrow them and create a more equal society for the benefit of all. This has power because the powerful control much of the world to reinforce it and reward people who parrot it. Broadly speaking, the further you are towards accuracy, the more left you are, the the further you are towards the lies, the more right you are. So the facts always look left-wing, because there are few people with an incentive to create misleading information favouring the left who actually have the power to do so.

Ideological blindness and echo chamber is all I can say to this. Anyone with a brain can obviously see how skewed this worldview is. "the left is all about accuracy and accuracy only!" and "right is all about lies because they are the privileged ones!" Give me a break. Both parties are liable to inaccuracy regardless of what you think. You sound no different to the far-right ideologues that you demonise to your fullest extent.

Erm, this is not an article from buzzfeed. "newspunch" is in the URL and at the top of the page!

If you had even bothered to click on the article you'd understand that this is a stupid counter-point.

US-style libertarianism is about as right-wing as they come. A least it isn't as bad as more authoritarian right-wing philosophies, but that alone is enough to explain why you don't like the concept of white privilege. US-style libertarianism thinks large divisions of wealth are somehow a just consequence of the wealthy working harder. White people being more wealthy than black people is one of the ways you can expose this as incorrect. So the mechanisms by which this actually happens need to be denied.

I disagree, libertarianism is at very most leaning right, and at the very least, close to center. Using income inequality between races is not a good argument to justify the existence of "white privileges", all you are doing is using group identity politics to paint one race as exploitative and the other as victimised, while ignoring all nuances such as potential differences in culture or individual decision making.

Ah well, I'm not too interested in furthering this discussion as this is an anime website, and not really suited for political debate. I can see some of your points with the BBC being maybe not as left as I made it out to be and so I'll change my opinion on that accordingly. But I'll respectfully agree to disagree with the rest, as most of it really comes down to what we value as individuals, and therefore are unlikely to change in either of us. Hey, at least we can both agree that anime is great.

Feb 14, 2019 5:43 PM

May 2018
'The Resembool Rangers' as someone has coined it - has just made me laugh out loud for real :D
Feb 14, 2019 5:45 PM

May 2009
FWIW, his skill as a voice actor has nothing to do with the truth value of these allegations.

Just like how the opinions and political views of random people on the internet has nothing to do with the truth value of these allegations.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 14, 2019 6:08 PM

Aug 2018
No idea who he is, but from what I read it's just another bullshit made by ANN acting like all SJW with a dude that took some photos with his female fans and said that he wasn't into yaoi or some shit like that. Because of that he is an homophobic piece of trash that rape women or some shit like that...

Basically, another day of SJWs doing their job of being retarded while trying to ruin someone's life because they have a different opinion. NOICE.
Feb 14, 2019 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
>Animegate
So what's this, who's that, and why should I care about it?
Feb 14, 2019 6:37 PM

Dec 2012
Aldnox said:
>Animegate
People attach gate to anything and everything to make it seem like some 4D Deep State conspiracy. It's just a political shitshow where people weaponize something innocent and ruin it for everybody else.
Feb 14, 2019 6:59 PM

Apr 2015
Wish I could care.
But someone's personal life is not my business.
Just keep being a good voice actor I guess.
Feb 14, 2019 7:13 PM

Nov 2009
DaCraziGuy said:
No idea who he is, but from what I read it's just another bullshit made by ANN acting like all SJW with a dude that took some photos with his female fans and said that he wasn't into yaoi or some shit like that. Because of that he is an homophobic piece of trash that rape women or some shit like that...

Basically, another day of SJWs doing their job of being retarded while trying to ruin someone's life because they have a different opinion. NOICE.

Crazy that SJW managed to create a 10 years old conspiracy plan that only came in fruition in 2019.
Feb 14, 2019 7:20 PM

Sep 2011
The allegations are he said she said, and you can debate about them all you want picking whatever side you want. But the objective fact is, using the word animegate unironically is retarded as fuck.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 14, 2019 7:36 PM

Aug 2007
Bernrika said:

It's a great thing that molestations are something pretty much extremely hard to prove then. If you are a molester, I mean

But why didn't they like him? :thinkingemoji:

Pretty easy to prove if they have photographic evidence as already claimed.

ZedClodRaker said:
On the last point, I really have no idea. The principal actors in all of this (Vic, Monica, etc.) seem to have quieted down about this over social media, so that may calm the waters a bit.

There are other revelations, cases of interest that may come to light which could add new angles (e.g. if it comes out which Japanese idol Vic supposedly harassed, etc.)

I do wonder how these will be received.

How could an investigation be professionally done if it lasted less than 3 days? Also those images, lol. Being upset about not being allowed to meet somebody is sexual harassment now.
Feb 14, 2019 7:41 PM

Nov 2017
His official statement was that he's getting help and 'getting closer to God' and stuff. Pretty sure that's a guilty plea, nobody's denying he did all these things.
Feb 14, 2019 7:46 PM

May 2009
Aldnox said:
>Animegate
Basically a culture-war flamewar/controversy thing, wherein some people are alleging that SJWs/feminists/liberals/etc. are involved in some sort of conspiratorial agenda to do "bad things" to anime, such as taking out the hot girls, removing the fanservice, shoehorn in diversity (somehow?), and force their political agenda insidiously through censorship and edits, and also alleging that these "bad people" are gradually taking over the industry, and therefore the "good people" need to speak out against these things.

In short, it's a movement whose participants are doing basically the same thing they accuse their opponents of doing -- i.e. falsely presuming that there's a conspiracy against them as a pretext to ruin someone else's fun -- but just with the opposite set of opinions.
Feb 14, 2019 7:48 PM

Aug 2007
DarkInsomnia57 said:
His official statement was that he's getting help and 'getting closer to God' and stuff. Pretty sure that's a guilty plea, nobody's denying he did all these things.

You clearly never read what it said exactly.
Feb 14, 2019 7:57 PM

Nov 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:

There are photos floating around, some has been disproved, some of them haven't.

But the fact you think sexual harassment is something easy to prove is utter bizarre, how a woman is supposed to prove someone decided to get handsy with her? Should every girl walk around with a hidden camera and microphone in her tits? We are not talking about murder or theft. This dude especially was famous for getting friendly with young girls, not the smartest people on earth.

Honest question, have you ever talked to a woman?

You can either believe everyone is lying, people who came forward are lying (Despite the fact many of them have nothing to gain over this, at contrary it puts them on the spotlight and the Internet hatemob loves to tear down them) and 10 years of accounts from random people are false, or maybe your favorite VA has a problem.

Feb 14, 2019 8:11 PM

Apr 2016
LOL

Jamie just retweeted out ABC's interview with Jussie Smollet a guy who is literally about to get convicted for filing a false police report, where the evidence is stacked up so high that the whole thing was entirely fabricated. Where you just look at the physics of what happened with the basic understanding of momentum and time and discern it was bull. Nevermind the fact that his costar faked a hate crime less than a year ago.

These people are completely unhinged, I don't even like Vic at all but this is the crossing of the rubicon moment, nevermind the fact that it sets a horrific precedent that you can make accusatory accusations with punitive measures with literally no proof just a coordinated jury of people like a lynch mob the problem here is that funimation, crunchyroll, all these non redpilled and non based companies want to exert sjew pressure onto Japan to change anime like they are SUCCESSFULLY doing to video games.

These people are alcoholic degenerates who worship pedophiles and demon worshippers. Someone like Jaime trained all her life to be a classical actor in Hollywood films, you know the place known for the pedo parties and blood ritual. Someone like Jaime has passed her prime is drinking nearly every day as far as I can tell, has gained significant amounts of weight, someone like Monica is single and childless at 42. These women have nothing, they will never have anything again. Their only hope is to lie and deceive themselves into money to buy more pills and booze to placate themselves.

You can just see how fake it is with the coordinated effort, Jaime just retweeted the other day complain all you want about Vic but we got him fired so #winning. And her entire timeline is filled with nutso garbage like this, Monica is the same way. Unhinged pill popping alcoholics.

So why Vic? Probably because hes a christian white male, probably because he said characters weren't gay in the canon and he didn't want to speak out whereas Jamie and Rial will do whatever they want with the original script shoe horning in political bullshit.

Feb 14, 2019 8:11 PM

Aug 2007
Bernrika said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

There are photos floating around, some has been disproved, some of them haven't.

But the fact you think sexual harassment is something easy to prove is utter bizarre, how a woman is supposed to prove someone decided to get handsy with her? Should every girl walk around with a hidden camera and microphone in her tits? We are not talking about murder or theft. This dude especially was famous for getting friendly with young girls, not the smartest people on earth.

Honest question, have you ever talked to a woman?

You can either believe everyone is lying, people who came forward are lying (Despite the fact many of them have nothing to gain over this, at contrary it puts them on the spotlight and the Internet hatemob loves to tear down them) and 10 years of accounts from random people are false, or maybe your favorite VA has a problem.

Guess you gotta get your eyes checked. " easy to prove if they have photographic evidence as already claimed."

Mywifesson said:
LOL

Jamie just retweeted out ABC's interview with Jussie Smollet a guy who is literally about to get convicted for filing a false police report, where the evidence is stacked up so high that the whole thing was entirely fabricated. Where you just look at the physics of what happened with the basic understanding of momentum and time and discern it was bull. Nevermind the fact that his costar faked a hate crime less than a year ago.

These people are completely unhinged, I don't even like Vic at all but this is the crossing of the rubicon moment, nevermind the fact that it sets a horrific precedent that you can make accusatory accusations with punitive measures with literally no proof just a coordinated jury of people like a lynch mob the problem here is that funimation, crunchyroll, all these non redpilled and non based companies want to exert sjew pressure onto Japan to change anime like they are SUCCESSFULLY doing to video games.

These people are alcoholic degenerates who worship pedophiles and demon worshippers. Someone like Jaime trained all her life to be a classical actor in Hollywood films, you know the place known for the pedo parties and blood ritual. Someone like Jaime has passed her prime is drinking nearly every day as far as I can tell, has gained significant amounts of weight, someone like Monica is single and childless at 42. These women have nothing, they will never have anything again. Their only hope is to lie and deceive themselves into money to buy more pills and booze to placate themselves.

You can just see how fake it is with the coordinated effort, Jaime just retweeted the other day complain all you want about Vic but we got him fired so #winning. And her entire timeline is filled with nutso garbage like this, Monica is the same way. Unhinged pill popping alcoholics.

So why Vic? Probably because hes a christian white male, probably because he said characters weren't gay in the canon and he didn't want to speak out whereas Jamie and Rial will do whatever they want with the original script shoe horning in political bullshit.

What brand do you make your tin foil hats out of?
Feb 14, 2019 8:44 PM

Nov 2015
I am not the biggest fan of his work, but whether the accusations are true or false, either way it is pretty messed up...
Feb 14, 2019 9:02 PM

Dec 2011
Honestly it's about time, the first I heard of this was back in like 2008 or 09 so it's been a long time coming. The behavior from creeps like John Lasseter and Vic is inexcusable, people like that should know they're not going to get away with it anymore.
Feb 14, 2019 9:22 PM
Jul 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Aldnox said:
>Animegate
Basically a culture-war flamewar/controversy thing, wherein some people are alleging that SJWs/feminists/liberals/etc. are involved in some sort of conspiratorial agenda to do "bad things" to anime, such as taking out the hot girls, removing the fanservice, shoehorn in diversity (somehow?), and force their political agenda insidiously through censorship and edits, and also alleging that these "bad people" are gradually taking over the industry, and therefore the "good people" need to speak out against these things.

In short, it's a movement whose participants are doing basically the same thing they accuse their opponents of doing -- i.e. falsely presuming that there's a conspiracy against them as a pretext to ruin someone else's fun -- but just with the opposite set of opinions.
Sounds like American politics for the last half decade or so.
Feb 14, 2019 9:34 PM
Jan 2015
The likelyhood of him being guilty is pretty high with all things considered and judging from his recent letter addressing the situation, he wasn't really denying anything, but instead appearing more apologetic with what his actions caused. A lot of his supporters are being pretty disgusting(like many in this thread). Many are even harassing his accusers on twitter, some are even going as far as sending them death threats. To Vic's credit, he did request that his supporters to stop hatefully targeting on his behalf, but I doubt that will actually stop anything.
My Queens

Feb 14, 2019 9:37 PM
Nov 2018
I mean its undeniable that he's a very touchy (or to put it lightly overly familial) person. I think the controversy is blown out of proportion. Yes it's definitely made con-goers uncomfortable and does count as sexual harassment if its unsolicited. But then all the accusations of rape, pedophilia and those extremes seem a bit ridiculous (and I really hope this isn't the case). If there's proof of the more extreme accusations then ok yeah he had it coming. I can't say I support Vic but like if that's the worst he's done that shouldn't be enough to completely destroy his career. Stop him from going to cons? Yes. Have some sort of restrictions with his interactions with other VAs? Maybe yeah.

I'll be honest I don't exactly know how bad it is for people who he did this to so from my perspective it's not that bad especially since I don't really mind touchy people. That being said, I still don't think he should be persecuted for it when even the articles are still saying its "alleged". The best ending for this was if he was found innocent because he didn't do anything that's really bad that means no victims (is that the right word) and that'd probably be the best for everyone. Do I think he'll be found guilty of sexual harassment? At this rate yeah its pretty likely. Do I think he's guilty of rape/pedophilia? There hasn't been evidence of that so far and I hope there was no evidence to beging with and that never really happened. Regardless the damage has been done to his reputation and position. He was a pretty good VA as far as dubs go so it'll be sad to see his talent gone
CabooseGIFeb 14, 2019 9:41 PM
Feb 14, 2019 9:58 PM

May 2009
Aldnox said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Sounds like American politics for the last half decade or so.
Amazingly, this manages to be worse, since American politics is, at least in part, actually arguing about public policy issues of broader significance, even if the arguing can get extra stupid.
Feb 14, 2019 9:59 PM

May 2018
DoubleJEspejwan6 said:

The only thing I can say is that if the other voice actors really knew about his behavior for well over 10 years, and said nothing, then they are complicit in his actions. Not talking law enforcement, just basic HR complaints. The idea that all of them knew about this but did not bring it up in any fashion seems suspicious. This is conjecture of course, but sketchy nonetheless.

While I think it's quite gullible to still be "standing with Vic" (the probability of over a decade of allegations of errant behavior across multiple cons and multiple continents all being false and/or a coordinated effort to take down a guy's career goes very quickly to zero in any sane model), I actually agree with you on this particular point. It's quite likely that many within the industry have been running interference for Vic since he's a popular entertainer and none of the stuff he's been doing in public has crossed a line from unprofessional behavior to something obviously actionable. Now that the dam has broken, self-preservation instincts have likely kicked in and most of them are going to their absolute best to shed any affiliation or alliance.
Feb 14, 2019 10:52 PM
Dec 2018
Its total bs is exacly what happen with shield hero. Unless vic is declared guilty in A court of law i wont change my opinion who looks like we cant have it in this time of age has they will try to sue you and arest you just becouse you disagread with there agenda
Feb 14, 2019 11:07 PM

Jan 2019
Funimation, the guy who used to play Britain on Axis Powers Hetalia was taken away in handcuffs for child porn possession before they fired him. But Mignogna just has allegations from a hit piece on Anime (Fake) News Network and he’s gone. Tells you a lot...
Feb 14, 2019 11:08 PM
Feb 2018
Comic_Sans said:
logopolis said:
It's disturbing how many people on this thread are accusing his accusers of lying for no obvious reason. While he hasn't been formally proven guilty of anything, anyone remotely sensible should see that the probability of him being guilty is very high. "Proof beyond reasonable doubt in a fair trial" is the required standard for the state using its monopoly on force to take away your liberty, it's not the required standard for any sort of reaction at all, "probably guilty" is a perfectly good threshold for not employing someone to safeguard the vulnerable people they might otherwise have access to, for instance.* And accusing the victims of lying is totally ridiculous.

*Note that in most respects, you should treat someone probably but not proven guilty as innocent, out of simple decency, for fear of making a mistake. But that doesn't apply to any sort of risk assessment, and of course, you need to treat the probable victims as victims, anything else is bonkers.
This. Sure, some of the stories might be false, but every single little one of them? These stories have been going on for years, way before SJW vs anti SJWs became a thing.

Are all the stories fake? No. Do the actual evidence we can see point to sexual assault? Absolutely not.

I really wish someone that stands with the KickVic movement would post links to actual evidence that involves a single interaction and we can discuss whether or not its actually what people are accusing Vic of. So far, all ive seen is video evidence of fan interactions that where a little awkward (which literally happens all the time), and because the people in these videos are the types to #BelieveAllWamen, they look back and get it in there head that they where being preyed upon and used. Its just not the case, and its clear that there are people that dont care what Vic's intentions are. First radical feminism turned any and all flirting in public into a potential sexual harassment case, and now there trying to push the ball further with frickin hugs a a fan convention. If people seriously thought what Vic has been shown on camera to be the same as sexual assualt, they might as well hold every single convention go'er to that standard. In fact why dont we start passing out contracts around to everyone, just to be safe.

Also I dont know why, but this made me think of something from Family Guy (not saying its a good show) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUC_C1zsebk
Feb 14, 2019 11:11 PM
Feb 2018
Bernrika said:
papsoshea said:
Here's a pretty good video showcasing the origins of the allegations.

What's with Youtubes and this inability to not be obnoxious? 3 seconds in and I already had to close the video.

Oh yeah its ok to ignore evidence, and cohesive arguments, because I think the guys voice is annoying.
Feb 14, 2019 11:15 PM
Feb 2018
Josh said:
Why is the anime community full of disillusioned, emasculated dudes who are ultra sensitive to the faintest whiff of any woman doing anything other than passively deferring to them?

I think you have that backwards.

Your talking about trying to ruin a guys career over at best, getting too familiar. Name me one time you've seen a guy try to ruin a womans career over getting grabby.
Either you have double standards, or you acknowledge that we treat these cases differently based on the sex
Feb 14, 2019 11:17 PM

Nov 2009
Agent_Cobalt said:
Bernrika said:

Oh yeah its ok to ignore evidence, and cohesive arguments, because I think the guys voice is annoying.
Believe or not, some of us actually can think for our own and don't base our entire personalities and opinions on youtubers.

Aniteku said:
Its total bs is exacly what happen with shield hero.

lol The only thing missing was the dude trying to link this with light novels.
BernrikaFeb 14, 2019 11:21 PM
Feb 14, 2019 11:25 PM
Feb 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Aldnox said:
>Animegate

I mean pretty much, but its naive to call it a conspiracy. Its already happened and is in full swing in the comic, video game and movie industries. You might not have a problem with people shoving radical progressive into media you like to watch (perhaps because you agree with the messaging), but most people dont. You know why we can tell? Because it doesnt work, and we can tell it doesnt work when it doesnt sell, and people complain. You can look towards comics and games if you want a lose of sales, and you can look to movies, and TV if you want to get a general feel for consumer agitation. How many series have to get murdered, because progressives understand that the people dont want this? As many as it takes I guess. And the only reason Anime is the last of these media types to get dragging into the culture war, is because Japan doesnt give a fuck about what some whiny tumblret feels about a show they think is entertaining, and well written (ala shield hero). But of course, American companies are going to hire people that want to push politics and this is what we get. Its the silicon valley effect.
Feb 14, 2019 11:26 PM

Jan 2019
Just a feeling, but I don't think Japan cares about all this.

Sanze-chan is the only anime that is considered respectable IIRC so I doubt anyone cares about Vic.
Feb 14, 2019 11:27 PM
Feb 2018
Bernrika said:
Agent_Cobalt said:

Believe or not, some of us actually can think for our own and don't base our entire personalities and opinions on youtubers.

Aniteku said:
Its total bs is exacly what happen with shield hero.

lol The only thing missing was the dude trying to link this with light novels.

Oh my god thats so disingenuous. I sincerely hope you can think for yourself, thats why you should actually look at what the opposition is saying, instead of staying safe inside your thought bubble.
Feb 15, 2019 12:15 AM

Aug 2007
CMYK said:
Honestly it's about time, the first I heard of this was back in like 2008 or 09 so it's been a long time coming. The behavior from creeps like John Lasseter and Vic is inexcusable, people like that should know they're not going to get away with it anymore.

What did Vic get away with exactly??
Feb 15, 2019 12:16 AM

Apr 2012
Bernrika said:
Does this mean the right doesn't care about rape?

It's funny, you always used to think of "finding people guilty and putting them in prison" to be the priority of the right. Strange how it changes when someone isn't from any oppressed groups.
Feb 15, 2019 12:20 AM

Jan 2017
I don't know who he is. I watch subbed anime anyway, so I don't care.

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Feb 15, 2019 12:30 AM

May 2009
Agent_Cobalt said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

I mean pretty much, but its naive to call it a conspiracy. Its already happened and is in full swing in the comic, video game and movie industries. You might not have a problem with people shoving radical progressive into media you like to watch (perhaps because you agree with the messaging), but most people dont. You know why we can tell? Because it doesnt work, and we can tell it doesnt work when it doesnt sell, and people complain. You can look towards comics and games if you want a lose of sales, and you can look to movies, and TV if you want to get a general feel for consumer agitation. How many series have to get murdered, because progressives understand that the people dont want this? As many as it takes I guess. And the only reason Anime is the last of these media types to get dragging into the culture war, is because Japan doesnt give a fuck about what some whiny tumblret feels about a show they think is entertaining, and well written (ala shield hero). But of course, American companies are going to hire people that want to push politics and this is what we get. Its the silicon valley effect.
I've been a gamer continuously since the NES days and, to put it mildly, I strongly disagree with your assessment about the video game industry.

(I don't pay much attention to the movie industry and I pay pretty much no attention to the comics industry so I will not speak on those at-large. Though I have seen Star Wars episode VIII, which gets regularly flamed, and I didn't notice any political messaging beyond the baseline level wherein any plot event could be interpreted through a political lens, nor did I find the movie annoying for any social messaging in general. There were disappointing things that happened in the movie, but they were disappointing for in-universe reasons, in ways that made sense to me. Ironically, while people have commented that it "murdered"/"destroyed"/"betrayed"/"wrecked"/etc. the franchise, I actually became more interested in Star Wars after watching it.)

You can go ahead and pretend that this is some sort of cultural turf war, but I'm not going to join it, because at the end of the day, all this is is just people being angry at other people for having opinions on media that they don't agree with, and then pushing their anger into some sort of social movement and making a giant hot mess of it.

This thread is a great example. What may have happened or not happened between Vic Mignogna and certain other people is for them to sort out, and none of the opinions on the internet about him, about those accusing him of inappropriate conduct, or about any of the political/culture-war controversies going on, have any bearing on whether said inappropriate conduct actually happened. But still, people feel the need to go back and forth on this, and start tarring each other as ignorant political hacks. And then they go on and on with giant (and frequently inaccurate) brushstrokes about how "Japan" monolithically feels or what "western media" monolithically does or what "progressives"/"liberals"/etc. want, yadda yadda yadda.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

33 by mentalmondai »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

19 by BitChilly »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

45 by Coaghim »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 8 hours ago

12 by rohan121 »»
7 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

65 by Pinoffin »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.