Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 9, 2019 4:27 AM

Sep 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kinda hoped dat Yuko would survive but welp...

Liked how he split Ghidoras jaw in two (reminds me of King Kong)

R.I.P Haruo, at least he got laid with one of the Houtua twins (even tho why not go for both?)

Not a real fan of Kaijus but this was trilogy was overall neat to watch

Jan 9, 2019 5:40 AM
Aug 2016
Story was good.but i just dont like the end..the science guy may be able to help yuko once the tecnology is restored..yet haruo gone stupid and goes suicide..not just that but leaving he's unborn child and wife..
Jan 9, 2019 7:50 AM

Jun 2017
unbournx said:
Story was good.but i just dont like the end..the science guy may be able to help yuko once the tecnology is restored..yet haruo gone stupid and goes suicide..not just that but leaving he's unborn child and wife..

i might be mistaken, but from what i can understand,
yuko and the mecha are the last key for humanity to achieve the tech they have lost before and with time, the cycle will repeat again until ghidorah able to consume the world. by "removing these keys, the cycle can be at least prevented and might be stopped entirely.

as for why haruo be the one that do this, he might think that he inherit the link to ghidorah from metphies on his right eye so being gone/dead, it will cut off that link too.
Jan 9, 2019 10:11 AM
Apr 2016
unbournx said:

You are precisely the kind of viewer Godzilla was created to address in the first place, half a century ago. Even through all these, albeit cryptic, repeating implications that greed over "prosperity" is going to bring fall, and turn into a cycle, you still don't see how Haruo's decision was the right one. The Martin's ("science guy") enthusiasm of bringing the civilization back was absolutely ignorant in connection to what has already happened to him - a deity from another dimension summoned through technology, an all-consuming self-governing (mech)anism, and a punishment created out of humanity's sins through technology in the first place.
Do you want to make those ~90 minutes count? Reflect on them longer.
linua said:

as for why haruo be the one that do this, he might think that he inherit the link to ghidorah from metphies on his right eye so being gone/dead, it will cut off that link too.

Rather he is the one who had seen this whole concept of said cycle and how it happens firsthand, through Metphies. He was personally warned of what technology brings in the world full of sorrow and suffering. Others, who did not undergo a mental journey through a hell, simply did not touch it so intimately Haruo did to fully fathom the implications.

This Godzilla turned out in completely different way I expected and prophesied it to. My major misguide came from not looking deeply enough, and thinking of it (even after 2 full-fledged films) that this was not THAT fundamental, and more of an epic instead. I wanted Metphias to turn out a priest of goodwill, Exif an enlightened race of missionaries,... and it all went down the drain. The connection was always there, though. The Ghidorah, coloured in divine gold, was always the "benevolent" god Exif tried to sell humanity. Ultimately, Exif fell to their technological advancement just like humanity did.

Through technology Exif contacted an extra-dimensional deity, brought it to their own world and destroyed it in doing so. And became messengers of ruin to other races (all, presumably, died). Through technology Bilusado ceased to exist as living beings, and instead, in the pursuit of universal Logic, gave themselves up to the machines (all died). Through technology...

Though, we go according to the Metphias words in the beginning, humanity was rigged from the start. Exif, another corrupted humanoid race, "swayed" humanity's development into causing their own Godzilla, if I understood that correctly. Humanity is not directly responsible for the destruction of civilization, as it was just playing into the hands of universal telepathic nihilists, but still...

All in all, it was a decent and original take on Godzilla narrative. Together, with Shin Godzilla, they shift the paradigm of Kaijuu into a more philosophical direction, which is more than welcome. Even the way they talked was fundamentally deeper than the usual exchange of information you'd expect from people. A lot of symbolism, a bit roughly shoved into many dialogues. That said, neither it did turn out like I expected, nor did I manage to expect the things to turn out correctly, so I am a bit salty there... But the films were worth it.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenFeb 4, 2019 6:37 PM
Re:formed
Jan 9, 2019 10:47 AM

Sep 2012
Daniel_Naumov said:
This Godzilla turned out in completely different way I expected and prophesied it to...

I'm with you here, I enjoyed the journey it was definitively a original take on the Godzilla narrative.

Keeping it short here and I'll end my quick reply with this:
The overall movie was what I had hoped for in some way but also let me down in other ways so not what I expected entirely, but it was a positive surprise overall!

Enjoyed it, well worth my time :)
Cheers!
Jan 9, 2019 2:09 PM

Dec 2017
ok, that ended in a weird fashion. i guess i got used to hollywood's happy endings, this one finished with a bittersweet finale. so they're just gonna live among Godzilla, huh? and lol, they compared Godzilla to a natural disaster like a tornado, alright
Jan 9, 2019 2:13 PM
Apr 2016
uninstallthegame said:
they compared Godzilla to a natural disaster like a tornado, alright

I will try to explain. Philosophically, Godzilla is born out of humanity's misconduct on Earth. Just like tornado is a natural phenomenon (meaning it is caused naturally, by the system which humanity has no control of), Godzilla can be considered a natural phenomenon as well - a mechanism that starts itself when humanity passes the borderline. We don't know if Godzilla was a direct production of nuclear waste. We just know that nuclear waste happened, and then happened Godzilla. In this way, Godzilla could be rather not the fault of humans, but its appearance as a correcting (or punishing) mechanism stems from the "unsatisfactory" behaviour of humans on the planet.
Jan 9, 2019 2:45 PM

Dec 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
uninstallthegame said:
they compared Godzilla to a natural disaster like a tornado, alright

I will try to explain. Philosophically, Godzilla is born out of humanity's misconduct on Earth. Just like tornado is a natural phenomenon (meaning it is caused naturally, by the system which humanity has no control of), Godzilla can be considered a natural phenomenon as well - a mechanism that starts itself when humanity passes the borderline. We don't know if Godzilla was a direct production of nuclear waste. We just know that nuclear waste happened, and then happened Godzilla. In this way, Godzilla could be rather not the fault of humans, but its appearance as a correcting (or punishing) mechanism stems from the "unsatisfactory" behaviour of humans on the planet.

ah, ye, i can see that. the original Godzilla was a prehistoric sea dweller, i would assume this version is the same and it was awoken by the nuclear activity just like in the original. alright, that makes sense for the bittersweet ending for humans to face the consequences of their harm to the planet
Jan 9, 2019 3:07 PM

Jun 2015
WEW, that 3rd episode was anything but what i expected... it's not like i dislike it or didn't understand the meaning behind or anything but for me it just didn't feels the same as the 2 previous movies.

It kind of feels like gantz ending, instead here it's not the last few chapters out of the ~383 but one third oh the entire series.

Thus i kind of feels disapointed... i kind of knew that godzilla wouldn't die(or i thouhg he would but haruo would too) but i had expected more... action, more... fight i guess? like the 2nd one wich really hyped me back then.

And i kind of have expected that 3rd movie to be a ghidorah vs gozdilla in every kaiju way we've been used to, an epic fight between monster amongst monster and haruo founding a way to get into it and destroy both of them by sacrificing himself or something like that...

Anyway, it was an interesting way to make that godzilla series. At least we can say it's way more ORIGINAL than we previously though haha!
Jan 9, 2019 3:18 PM

Oct 2009
Mothra didn’t even hatch...
Jan 9, 2019 4:01 PM

Mar 2016
It was a nice take on Godzilla and kaijus themselves, and the concept and journey was quite intriguing and enjoyable. Narrative and character wise, though, I did wish it was better.

The ED theme is interesting: if one examines the lyrics more closely, they can refer to either Godzilla Earth or King Ghidorah.
Jan 9, 2019 5:08 PM

Feb 2014
Everything is destined to end sooner or later. Now God doesn't control the lever to its process, because God is something that is not materialized from what we have today. The problems of humans arise from things they do, rebelling against it? becoming the problem itself? Or blind devotion when all is lost? are not the answer. The answer is simply to just let time do its thing while you accept it.
A good conclusion to the series which showed us that Godzilla is not the evil but a disaster that punishes the cruelties of time, while the man itself is the making of a monster through the actions they take.
Best music, a good conceptual proclamation and a really good movie. 9/10đź‘Ť
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 9, 2019 6:30 PM
Feb 2011
Daniel_Naumov said:
unbournx said:

You are precisely the kind of viewer Godzilla was created to address in the first place, half a century ago. Even through all these, albeit cryptic, repeating implications that greed over "prosperity" is going to bring fall, and turn into a cycle, you still don't see how Haruo's decision was the right one. The Martin's ("science guy") enthusiasm of bringing the civilization back was absolutely ignorant in connection to what has already happened to him - a deity from another dimension summoned through technology, an all-consuming self-governing (mech)anism, and a punishment created out of humanity's sins through technology in the first place.

But who said that they wouldn't try things differently in the future. We learn from our mistakes and do them differently next time. As it stands now, they are doomed because the creatures of the world will evolve and eventually overrun them while the humans stagnate.

Also didn't this also show us the problem with religion? Yet it ends with everyone warshipping Mothra. They didn't seem to learn.
Jan 9, 2019 6:44 PM
Apr 2016
korn7809 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Also didn't this also show us the problem with religion? Yet it ends with everyone warshipping Mothra. They didn't seem to learn.

No, it did not show a problem with religion, if I begin with that. Ghidora there is a being from higher dimension, whom Exif decided to worship out of sheer nihilism, while Mothra evolved the same way Godzilla did (e.g. a product of natural mechanism), transcended them a little and allowed Houtsies to survive in a hostile world (also protected them from Nanometal). Whatever they did with religion here, there is nothing to suggest it is "bad". Exif doomed themselves through technology, surviving humans under Mothra have peacefully lived under the ground. And will keep on living, as of the ending.
korn7809 said:

But who said that they wouldn't try things differently in the future. We learn from our mistakes and do them differently next time. As it stands now, they are doomed because the creatures of the world will evolve and eventually overrun them while the humans stagnate.

This is the same thing as "who said they would try things differently in the future?". There is no telling that or otherwise. There is also no telling if life on the surface will get anymore hostile or if it won't slowly move towards harmony with humans. Haruo, full to the brim with the promises of cycle repeating - and Nano-Vulture (an alien technology, to which Godzilla does not react lightly) is a sure way to get Earth converted into a Nano-Earth in due time.
Humanity will keep on living differently, without all the technology (until they forget about why they live like that at all) and their lives will not be anyhow less meaningful than when they endlessly pursued prosperity through technological advancement. People lived like that for thousands of years. They made it through. What happens to them from now on is another story altogether.
Jan 9, 2019 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
that ending was so fking bad and makes no sense at all, he could have destroyed it in another way he just wanted to double suicide with the girl he was still into, but mothra appeared that was cool
Jan 9, 2019 7:41 PM
Apr 2016
HisokaxMeruem said:
that ending was so fking bad and makes no sense at all, he could have destroyed it in another way he just wanted to double suicide with the girl he was still into, but mothra appeared that was cool

"the girl he was into" also had last active nano-machine cells on the Earth. If they were not destroyed alongside the Nano-Vulture, Martin (the enthusiastic scientist) could possibly screw everyone over again and either make the whole planet into a Nano-Earth, or repeat the cycle Metphies talked about like 4 (FOUR) times.
Not being able to make sense out of something =/= understanding that there is no sense in something.
Jan 9, 2019 9:03 PM

Mar 2013
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out whether I like this movie or hate it.

I'm disappointed with the lack of godzilla or rather godzilla doing anything other than sleep for a third of the movie.

Mothra showed up at least, although I really wanted her to hatch from her egg, fight godzilla, run away and turn to a cacoon, followed by her helping godzilla defeat ghidorah and then turn around and kill godzilla (I'm aware that would mess up the point of the never ending cycle they we're trying to drive home).

So only one thing truly bothered me at the end and that is haruo not even witnessing the birth of his kid. I get why he had to kill himself but I still found it weird he never got to see his kid be born.

"Progression is never the answer" how my friend described this whole movie.
Jan 9, 2019 9:22 PM
Jul 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
HisokaxMeruem said:

"the girl he was into" also had last active nano-machine cells on the Earth. If they were not destroyed alongside the Nano-Vulture, Martin (the enthusiastic scientist) could possibly screw everyone over again and either make the whole planet into a Nano-Earth, or repeat the cycle Metphies talked about like 4 (FOUR) times.
Not being able to make sense out of something =/= understanding that there is no sense in something.

dude humanity will find a way to reproduce what happened already thats why i thought it was stupid, he just gave them a little more time until it all repeats itself, they only have these half immune bodys vs nano machines
Jan 9, 2019 9:34 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
HisokaxMeruem said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

dude humanity will find a way to reproduce what happened already thats why i thought it was stupid, he just gave them a little more time until it all repeats itself, they only have these half immune bodys vs nano machines
How when there's literally nothing left for that dude to work with....They are literally in a stone age now lol

It'll take hundreds of years before humanity can get back to even our state IRL

linua said:
unbournx said:

yuko and the mecha are the last key for humanity to achieve the tech they have lost before and with time, the cycle will repeat again until ghidorah able to consume the world. by "removing these keys, the cycle can be at least prevented and might be stopped entirely.

Pretty sure you hit the nail on its head with this

But that post credits scene has me a bit confused since Miana looked old af....Is that kid that they showed Haruo's son or grandson?

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenFeb 4, 2019 6:36 PM
Jan 9, 2019 9:48 PM
Apr 2016
Tokoya said:
linua said:

But that post credits scene has me a bit confused since Miana looked old af....Is that kid that they showed Haruo's son or grandson?

Presumably it was shown that (~thanks to Haruo's sacrifice) the Hutsies have lived in peace for about three generations now. I'd say it shows that they keep on living without being impacted by the ruined Earth around them or the fact that inter-dimensional battle took place. Even if they are back to the stone age, they still live and look happy. Which is of utmost important, if some technology supremacists wonder...
Jan 9, 2019 10:10 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
Tokoya said:

Presumably it was shown that (~thanks to Haruo's sacrifice) the Hutsies have lived in peace for about three generations now. I'd say it shows that they keep on living without being impacted by the ruined Earth around them or the fact that inter-dimensional battle took place. Even if they are back to the stone age, they still live and look happy. Which is of utmost important, if some technology supremacists wonder...
Ahhh, so it is his grandson then....Okay, I like the implications behind it all that you spoke of, cool
Jan 9, 2019 11:44 PM

Jan 2014
So all the obvious world war 2 hints are pointing at Japs to reflect on the history and take a jab at the JSDF rearming issue?

IDK the writers seem to try too hard and go very deep into the rabbit hole AT THE LAST MOVIE out of 3 movies.
I as a viewer felt imbalance and lost. I have watched the last two movies and where the fuck were the expositions?

Also, godzilla v Ghidorah(?) was meh at its best, negro that was one of the worst boss fight of the anime history. I seriously had high hopes before tuning in for this movie cause the last movie was actually awesome.

I wouldn't say they could have made this awesome cause seriously, the first movie was too much of a junk. But saying this is bad is an understatement.
You will soon learn that a heart that choose to exist, even in a life filled with pain, will one day allow us to meet again.
With the world's blessings, we will meet again and again, forever returning to the homeworld we've yet to see.
Many, many times.

Jan 10, 2019 1:01 AM

Sep 2014
I went in not expecting much from this movie, the last two had set me up for disappointment, but I didn't expect to end up pissed off at the third movie. Two movies of building up to this? Really? A heel turn and Ghidorah just nibbles on Godzilla for like 20 minutes? The visuals are nice, the music is good, but this was such utterly squandered potential and I can't believe Ghidorah AND Mothra were wasted here like Mechagodzilla was in the last one.
Jan 10, 2019 5:14 AM
Apr 2016
Melvin117 said:
So all the obvious world war 2 hints are pointing at Japs to reflect on the history and take a jab at the JSDF rearming issue?

IDK the writers seem to try too hard and go very deep into the rabbit hole AT THE LAST MOVIE out of 3 movies.
I as a viewer felt imbalance and lost. I have watched the last two movies and where the fuck were the expositions?

Also, godzilla v Ghidorah(?) was meh at its best, negro that was one of the worst boss fight of the anime history. I seriously had high hopes before tuning in for this movie cause the last movie was actually awesome.

I wouldn't say they could have made this awesome cause seriously, the first movie was too much of a junk. But saying this is bad is an understatement.

^Basically what happens when you go for Shakespeare expecting... well, Kaijuu fight club. Thankfully, you are welcome to the minority.
Jan 10, 2019 6:55 AM

Apr 2013
wew... angry Godzilla toku fan rant incoming.

I now fully understand why people hate netflix godzilla so much.

part 3 suck balls. At first 2 parts I was fine with the weird concept of kaijuus but then part 3 is just downright stupid
This is exactly what ppl didnt like abt the godzilla american remake at 2014 they try to sell the idea of Godzilla but plaster weird shit of other ideas over it. The focus wasn't even about the kaijuu fight but just mumbo jumbo human philosophy horseshit.
I hate it.
They butchered the kaijuus, all there were are names they used from the original source.
Mothra was a fking red herring only making one appearance that did jack shit fk this series.
I want my monster on monster action this is balls if the series wasn't called Godzilla I'd say its a pretty good series
but precisely its called Godzilla but they squander the name by idk man spewing horseshit philosophy all over it that I dislike it.

Honestly they can just forgo the entire trilogy without godzilla and just replace it with some kinda of infectious virus or disaster and wrote their philosophy story. It would have made more sense and please a lot more people.

Humanity's mistakes will lead to earth's ruin bla bla bla. There are many ways to convey them. Using a household name and a fan favorite tokusatsu is not one of them.

Heck Shin Godzilla did the same shit but they didn't take away the kaijuu battling fun.

Edit: One quick look through of the thread tells me that this show clearly achieved its purpose though. They're trying to sell their story through godzilla and the non OG Godzilla toku fans obviously buy it. The story is relatable but its still horse shit. It is everything but the essence of why a fan would wanna watch Godzilla.
G_AkerJan 10, 2019 7:02 AM
Jan 10, 2019 8:46 AM

Mar 2015
I'm glad it has finally ended.
Better rewatch godzilla vs destoroyah for the millionth time.

Jan 10, 2019 10:04 AM

Sep 2014
I can't believe this abomination is by the same writer as Madoka and Thunderbolt Fantasy, wtf Urobuchi
Jan 10, 2019 10:56 AM
Sep 2015
Talk talk talk talk talk talk talk . I wanna see action not philosophy.
Jan 10, 2019 11:12 AM
Apr 2016
AlienWarTR said:

Then you should go watch MMA, Hollywood movies and/or other "entertainment" that does not require strong mental activity.
G_Aker said:
It is everything but the essence of why a fan would wanna watch Godzilla.

In essence Godzilla is exactly what this trilogy is about - critique of human society and reflection on its history. I understand many see Godzilla and expect a third rate clash between slow monsters, flinging each other at buildings, shooting rays and just destroying things in a spectacular or less so fashion. But you also have to understand - this is not the Stone Age of film making. Godzilla is through being an entertainment for the simpletons (except the American version that is coming soon. But, yeah, American). It is finally back at where it started. Don't know what kind of "fan" your lot is, but it sure is quite a shallow devotion.
Jan 10, 2019 11:15 AM
Sep 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
AlienWarTR said:

Then you should go watch MMA, Hollywood movies and/or other "entertainment" that does not require strong mental activity.
G_Aker said:
It is everything but the essence of why a fan would wanna watch Godzilla.

In essence Godzilla is exactly what this trilogy is about - critique of human society and reflection on its history. I understand many see Godzilla and expect a third rate clash between slow monsters, flinging each other at buildings, shooting rays and just destroying things in a spectacular or less so fashion. But you also have to understand - this is not the Stone Age of film making. Godzilla is through being an entertainment for the simpletons (except the American version that is coming soon. But, yeah, American). It is finally back at where it started. Don't know what kind of "fan" your lot is, but it sure is quite a shallow devotion.

I just wanted to see Ghidorah vs Godzilla. Their fight only lasted 3 minutes 3 MINUTES.
Jan 10, 2019 11:57 AM
Apr 2016
AlienWarTR said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I just wanted to see Ghidorah vs Godzilla. Their fight only lasted 3 minutes 3 MINUTES.

I suggest you see what Godzilla was about back in the 1954. This trilogy stays true to the core essence of Godzilla narrative, while you were expecting a cheap tokusatsu battle of Kaijuus. This is more of Godzilla than what you are used to.
Jan 10, 2019 12:41 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This last film really went in a different direction than I expected. I was expecting a huge kaiju brawl. Instead the enviromental damage/earth as an organism philosophy came to the fore. Interesting creative choice.

Did anyone here watch the bit after the credits with the ceremony where they are praying to Godzilla? Is there some extra layer of meaning there that I missed?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 10, 2019 1:32 PM

Aug 2014
a disappointing waste of time tbh..
Jan 10, 2019 1:33 PM
Apr 2016
Farabeuf said:
This last film really went in a different direction than I expected. I was expecting a huge kaiju brawl. Instead the enviromental damage/earth as an organism philosophy came to the fore. Interesting creative choice.

Did anyone here watch the bit after the credits with the ceremony where they are praying to Godzilla? Is there some extra layer of meaning there that I missed?

You might want to read my input marked #22 in this thread, if you are looking for thoughts on the post credit scene.
Jan 10, 2019 7:28 PM
Mar 2018
Some people say "Why Haruo did suicide attack to Godzilla? I can't understand him."

I want to say them "Please remember the First Godzilla movie in 1954."
This movie's last scene respects the last scene of 1954's Godzilla.

talking about 1954's Godzilla.
Why Dr.Serizawa burned all design-drawings of Oxygen-Destroyer?
Why He killed himself when detonated Oxygen-Destroyer?
Because, If he will continue live, someday humanity will use Oxygen-Destroyer for the evil purpose.

In this movie, Haruo thought so too.
If High-Technology like nano-metal will remains, someday humanity will use it for the evil purpose. As a result, will invite Gidorah to the Earth again.
So He decided to wipe out all nano-metals in a machine called Vulture and Yuko's body.(her brain was already dead.)

And one more reason.
Haruo's life was full of rage to Godzilla.
His rage always have tormented himself. So he wanted to be freed from his own rage in the depth of his heart. It means suicide.
he wanted to kill himself in the depth of his heart.
This is why He smiled just before killed by Godzilla. He thought "Finally, I will be freed from everything."

Perhaps, Houtua people watched Haruo's death, and thought "Vulture is a symbol of the rage. The rage is bad emotion. bad emotion was burned out and cleansed by Godzilla's holy fire breath."
That is after credits roll scene's meaning.
The festival symbolises the legend of Haruo. The center totem is Vulture, the symbol of rage. it is bad emotion. Houtua people burned and cleaned it.

Old Houtua lady in festival scene is Miana.
Houtua has the traditions that married women take her bangs up. single woman keep them down.
Old lady's bangs are down. She is Miana. Perhaps she stayed single all her life.
yosi_kasiJan 10, 2019 8:04 PM
Jan 10, 2019 9:33 PM

Sep 2011
And Gen Urobuchi once again breaks his leg in between the finish line and the podium. I could forgive the rest of the movie for being kind of underwhelming but that stupid suicide ending has to be one of his worst moments as a writer. This might be the worst Godzilla movie I've ever seen.
Jan 10, 2019 11:06 PM

Dec 2015
Honestly most of the movie wasn't bad, it did take a very different approach from the usual "hero saves the day" ending, but for the most part I can get what the movie is trying to achieve, and logically it made sense. But damn the ending must be the most inconclusive thing I've seen in a while. I mean, they fought, everyone died, and that's it? Urobuchi literally just killed EVERYONE so there wouldn't be any conflict left.
Jan 11, 2019 1:05 AM
Apr 2016
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
And Gen Urobuchi once again breaks his leg in between the finish line and the podium. I could forgive the rest of the movie for being kind of underwhelming but that stupid suicide ending has to be one of his worst moments as a writer. This might be the worst Godzilla movie I've ever seen.

Can you somehow support your point about the Haruo's sacrifice being worthless?
Jan 11, 2019 1:27 AM

Mar 2018
I mostly liked this movie. It is my favourite of the three. I like how their version of Ghidorah is so different from the usual Ghidorah.

There is just one thing I really, REALLY HATE about the movie. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO PLAY THAT SAD MUSIC WHILE GODZILLA DEFEATS GHIDORAH? Like, OK, if they want some sad music when Haruo kills his mentor and friend Metphies, then fine. No problem. But why did it have to hijack and ruin the only badass moment in the movie? Can't we have just ONE cool scene of Godzilla kicking ass, and then AFTER that you can cut back to being sad? Banishing Ghidorah and preventing the destruction of the Earth is supposed to be a high note, a triumph. Why drown it under that depressive music?

That scene made me angry.

Of course, the movie's philosophy is also thin, using strawmen to praise a "noble savage" kind of Luddism while sweeping under the rug the drawbacks of living in the Stone Age (starvation, preventable diseases, sky-high child mortality).

Still, an enjoyable movie. I gave the first two a 7/10 each. I give this one an 8/10 for the original re-envisioning of Ghidorah alone.
Jan 11, 2019 3:14 AM
Apr 2016
SpectrumDT said:
(starvation, preventable diseases, sky-high child mortality).

Nothing like that is even suggestible in this trilogy, so... a greatly preposterous assumption.
Jan 11, 2019 3:17 AM

Jan 2009
im hesitant to watch this now since its just more talking again?
Jan 11, 2019 4:10 AM

Mar 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
SpectrumDT said:
(starvation, preventable diseases, sky-high child mortality).
Nothing like that is even suggestible in this trilogy, so... a greatly preposterous assumption.
Come again? I am not sure what you are saying.
Jan 11, 2019 4:14 AM

Mar 2018
Lmao godzilla is hilarious loved this movie although the first 30 min were hard to get through
poop
Jan 11, 2019 12:52 PM

Sep 2014
I dont know how I feel about this. It was alright to watch, but I doubt I will ever watch it again.

When they first announced Godzilla finally makes it way to anime I was hyped. But this?

I would have preferred a more usual take on Godzilla for its first anime version. The philosophical experiments could have come later.

6/10

Visuals werent good, audio was not good.

"fine" fits this perfectly

ps: I totally expected Godzilla to kill Gidhora when they first teased it.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 11, 2019 7:31 PM

Sep 2014
deg said:

It's significantly more than the previous movies. Very little actually happens until Godzilla shows up, and then Godzilla is immobilized while more talking happens. If you didn't like the previous two movies, or were hoping for a bigger and better third movie, you will not get that.
Jan 11, 2019 7:32 PM

Jan 2009
KamikazeKeeg said:
deg said:

It's significantly more than the previous movies. Very little actually happens until Godzilla shows up, and then Godzilla is immobilized while more talking happens. If you didn't like the previous two movies, or were hoping for a bigger and better third movie, you will not get that.

thanks i will not watch this then
Jan 12, 2019 1:24 AM
Apr 2016
Naaate said:
I’m sorry but I saw one of the reviews that gave this mess an 8/10 and I have to say this: you’ve never seen or understand godzilla lore. Ghidorah is some extra dimensional being? I’m 100% certain that we true godzilla fans were looking forward to godzilla and ghidorah duke it out. All we got was bites, bogged dialogue between characters, and pure disappointment. They even have the gull to tease you mothra. Wasted 6 hours watching this trilogy.

My eyes! I understand you did not like that but stop lying to the world labeling your lot "true godzilla fans". Godzilla was always about philosophy and critique of humanity! What you are "fans" of is a cheap Kaijuu battle from back the 70-90s, when the simpletons saw something new and were ecstatic about it. Apparently people have decided to develop since back then, but some are still mentally stuck in that age. The big monsters battle-it-out is now being produced by Hollywood, since American is all about Entertainment (albeit cheap). This was not the kind of entertainment you were looking for, and Godzilla is not something you ever understood it seems.
I can swallow people refusing to accept this narrative and call the film bad because to them the philosophy is not going into the right direction.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
DeadlyRavenFeb 4, 2019 6:35 PM
Jan 12, 2019 4:17 AM

Sep 2014
Daniel_Naumov said:

My eyes! I understand you did not like that but stop lying to the world labeling your lot "true godzilla fans". Godzilla was always about philosophy and critique of humanity! What you are "fans" of is a cheap Kaijuu battle from back the 70-90s, when the simpletons saw something new and were ecstatic about it. Apparently people have decided to develop since back then, but some are still mentally stuck in that age. The big monsters battle-it-out is now being produced by Hollywood, since American is all about Entertainment (albeit cheap). This was not the kind of entertainment you were looking for, and Godzilla is not something you ever understood it seems.
I can swallow people refusing to accept this narrative and call the film bad because to them the philosophy is not going into the right direction. But I will not swallow the kind of simpletons who talk like they see the essence of something they don't know a thing about.

Lets not act like this movie is just too "high brow" for Godzilla fans. Other Godzilla films have worked in a message while also making a competent and enjoyable monster film. Shin Godzilla in particular was something I very much liked even with all the slower bureaucratic elements as it worked to get a message across, but also still being about a giant monster threatening humanity.

Here, it's all talk and no substance. I can't see how any Godzilla fan would really like this movie when the big meeting between "Godzilla Earth" and "King Ghidorah: The Golden Wings of Demise" is just Ghidorah nibbling on Godzilla for abit. No real clash, no real interaction, and Godzilla didn't even really do anything in the end, it was Haruo that stopped Ghidorah, Godzilla only slammed the door shut. They basically made Godzilla unimportant in his own trilogy conclusion, which is just wrong. No amount of awkward dialogue or character interaction makes up for that.
Jan 12, 2019 4:22 AM

Jan 2014
Naaate said:
I’m sorry but I saw one of the reviews that gave this mess an 8/10 and I have to say this: you’ve never seen or understand godzilla lore. Ghidorah is some extra dimensional being? I’m 100% certain that we true godzilla fans were looking forward to godzilla and ghidorah duke it out. All we got was bites, bogged dialogue between characters, and pure disappointment. They even have the gull to tease you mothra. Wasted 6 hours watching this trilogy.

Lol, "True Godzilla fans", right. I would say this adaptation is much more faithful to the original Godzilla's philosophy and message than most of the other movies that is out there. Godzilla doesn't have to be just giant monsters fighting each other mindlessly. There is no point in adapting Godzilla into this kind of anime if it is just going to look worse than Legendary's adaptation, King of the Monster.

If you actually watched more than 2 Godzilla films, you would know that Godzilla lore on the iconic monsters changes all the fucking time and there is barely any consistencies between most of the movies. I understand why so many people dislike the new type of storytelling using Godzilla and I personally would've prefered more action but get the fuck out with your "True Godzilla Fan" bullshit.
Jan 12, 2019 5:15 AM
Apr 2016
KamikazeKeeg said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I can swallow people refusing to accept this narrative and call the film bad because to them the philosophy is not going into the right direction.

They basically made Godzilla unimportant in his own trilogy conclusion, which is just wrong. No amount of awkward dialogue or character interaction makes up for that.

Then you must have missed all the "natural order" talk then.
I am a fan of neither Godzilla nor cheap Kaijuu clashes. Instead, I am an art connoisseur and, above all else, I appreciate a philosophical piece of art when I see one. I never came here looking for action, and instead I got a fundamental discourse into modern society and the technological menace. It tried to appear universal, and employed proper symbolism. There was no outstanding action, and when action was it drowned in the moral and logical dilemmas of simple humans (who are, for a second, the core subject of the trilogy). There is a difference between "art" and "entertainment". Some lot says they were not entertained enough? Boohoo, this is art.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
DeadlyRavenFeb 4, 2019 6:34 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Worst Godzilla Movie | Totally ruined it

FateXBlood - Jan 11, 2019

11 by FateXBlood »»
Apr 16, 2022 11:32 PM

» Hey, I didn't watch this trilogy to see an ending like this!  

mufarari - Mar 3, 2019

6 by Tentaclehusbando »»
Oct 6, 2021 10:38 AM

» Off-topic: are you waiting for Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) movie?

uninstallthegame - Aug 23, 2018

5 by RyuKazumaki »»
May 25, 2020 10:08 AM

» Major Spoilers: What did you think of Metphies after watching the entire trilogy?

fantasynight04 - Jan 24, 2019

3 by CtrlZED »»
Feb 24, 2019 12:25 PM

» Animation premiers tomorrow; any idea when it will be available online?

Daniel_Naumov - Nov 1, 2018

6 by Masshiroi »»
Jan 12, 2019 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.