Jan 1, 2019 12:32 AM
Jul 2018
Anime Discussion Thread
Anime Discussion Thread
removed-userJun 10, 2021 3:22 AM
Jan 1, 2019 12:38 AM

Jul 2007
We need less video game based isekai.

Youjo Senki is great. It's about an alternate history WWI but with magic!
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 1, 2019 12:38 AM

May 2009
> ancient Rome

I have yet to watch Thermae Romae, for what it's worth.

Anyway, personal opinions:

My main problem with isekai is that it requires some sort of mechanism in the setting to allow the story to send someone to another world.

Why not just write a story simply set in that another world?

I actually would like to see more shows with fantasy RPG settings. But I'd prefer them to be "pure" settings rather than isekai ones. I don't usually prefer to see the trappings of it being a game.

This isn't to say that isekai is a bad idea. I have nothing against the isekai idea itself. It's just that I'm not particularly sold on many of them on premise alone. I have to have another reason to like them.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 1, 2019 1:09 AM

Mar 2017
I'm the same as you OP. Isekai is basically a more extreme version of the normal-dude-gets-thrust-into-abnormaal-situations trope, which makes up a huge majority of any story that isn't slice-of-life, but the videogame worlds are too much for me. I think some swords-and-sorcery or space stuff would be cool. I think a clockpunk setting would make for some amazing animation (kind a like that mansion in Dishonored 2 for referencw)

Hey OP you might wanna read this webtoon called "A World that I Rule." I havent read it myself, but it's about a man who gets transported to another world where he is the biggest, strongest, and smartest amongst these humanoid creatures. It's supposed to be dark but idk. Its not on MAL unfortunately
Jan 1, 2019 1:37 AM

Nov 2017
- ever watch Narnia? yeah... i preffer isekai setting like that rather than based on MMORPG game
Now Loading.....
Jan 1, 2019 1:49 AM

Jan 2017
As someone who's not all that into gaming, I too am tired of the video game mechanic fantasy world. Like, it's been done, and done well - time to move on.

I like all your ideas, OP. I've been saying this for a while, but I'd really like to see an isekai which focuses on the 'trapped, on another world' aspect of it. Like, the MC can't count on anything he takes for granted in his own world - the weather changes without warning, he has no idea which plants or animals are safe to eat, there's weird environmental effects that he has to work around. Survival-focused, in other words - I want Robinson Crusoe in Middle-Earth.

And he should feel isolated. He's been ripped from everyone and everything he's ever known, and forced to survive. Homesickness is the very least of his problems, but it's still a massive problem. Forget the standard 'oh, I didn't have anything in my old world so whatever' MC - this guy should have stuff he misses from his old world. His parents, his friends, maybe he was part of a club and is missing out on competitions, maybe he was writing a book. Maybe - gasp - he was an actual adult, with a family to support and a job to work. If your story is going to be an isekai and not just something set in a fantasy world, your MC's original world should be almost as important as the new one, or else what's the point?
Jan 1, 2019 2:19 AM

May 2014
EndlessMaria said:
We need less video game based isekai.

Youjo Senki is great. It's about an alternate history WWI but with magic!

This is pretty much what i want. I'm fed up of the world conveniently being just like a game. It's why i've gone back to watch older isekai anime, as there is much more imagination put into the world. Log Horizon is probably the only isekai set in a game that's good.
Jan 1, 2019 6:42 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I personally really enjoyed what Grimgar done.
Instead of taking a group of insanely overpowered individuals, or two people with amazing teamwork, it grabbed a bunch of weak kids and forced them into combat in order to survive.
They mess up a bunch of times, and the day they finally get confident, something tragic happens which makes them realize how powerless they truly are.

It's unfortunate it was executed less well than it could've been, as to me it's a fresh take on the genre which is filled with overpowered individuals or with an immediately synergy capable of taking on each enemy without much of a hassle.

I enjoy the idea of a reverse Isekai also. It's just a shame there's seemingly so few of them with the "best" ones having at best a mediocre end. So much wasted potential.
Jan 1, 2019 7:09 AM
Aug 2016
I would like to see less isekai anime, thanks.
Jan 1, 2019 7:18 AM

Dec 2010
The funny thing is at first I did not like isekai especially when it is more on the harem side but now I love it as long as it has world building like log horizon,Tensei Shitara Suraimu Datta Ken,overlord,Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash I love any show/game with lots of world building cant get enough of it,hope we get more this year.
Jan 1, 2019 12:32 PM

Jun 2017
I don't know if I say yes or no, because SAO was the thing I wanted but look how executed... But definitely wider range helps isekai. At least the hate would become much lower
Jan 1, 2019 1:15 PM

May 2015
Army of Darkness!

I want to see an Isekai that does something like Arata Kangatari where a character from the modern world switches places with a character from the fantasy world, and you get to see how the two characters adapt to their new world as they try to get back into their home world.
Jan 1, 2019 1:25 PM

Jul 2015
well i like isekai in every form and authors like isekai coz every situation can be conviently explained by saying something along the lines of " well thats how it is in this world"

Well...
Jan 1, 2019 1:32 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Wouldn't mind. But I absolutely love medieval fantasy setting. The usual MMORPG type. Somehow always loved such worlds.
Jan 1, 2019 1:36 PM

Jul 2015
GlennMagusHarvey said:
> ancient Rome

I have yet to watch Thermae Romae, for what it's worth.

Anyway, personal opinions:

My main problem with isekai is that it requires some sort of mechanism in the setting to allow the story to send someone to another world.

Why not just write a story simply set in that another world?

I actually would like to see more shows with fantasy RPG settings. But I'd prefer them to be "pure" settings rather than isekai ones. I don't usually prefer to see the trappings of it being a game.

This isn't to say that isekai is a bad idea. I have nothing against the isekai idea itself. It's just that I'm not particularly sold on many of them on premise alone. I have to have another reason to like them.

My understanding of the purpose of isekai is so that the viewers can be introduced to the new world at the same time as the character is learning about it. It makes it so that the initial physics and rules of the world are established to us and the character. I've personally found this fosters a feeling of connection and empathy with the characters because we are both learning from the same place.

It also allows the writers to not have to get the characters to explain how their world works in a roundabout way. It can be a problem when characters have conversations about their world and introduce it in a very weird and forced manner.

The final thing -- which I think pisses most people off about isekai -- is it allows the characters to get some base level of power bestowed upon them, rather than having to work for it like you'd expect if they were born in the world.

But in the end I agree with you, I am agnostic on isekai itself. The particulars of the anime are what really matter, I don't decide I like or dislike an anime on the basis of isekai alone.
Jan 1, 2019 1:46 PM
Jul 2018
Yes I would. I want to see isekai set in:

Ottoman era
17th century India
Viking era
Old Africa
Apr 22, 2021 6:51 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
ProfessionalNEET said:
Would you like isekai more if it had a wider range of settings?
Yes.

I haven't watched that much isekai, but it seems that most if not all isekai takes place in some sort of fantasy setting. On top of that, most isekai worlds have game-like mechanics, in particular specifically MMORPG mechanics (I don't play those kinds of games, sorry if I butcher the terminology). I find it rather odd, considering the enormous range of "other worlds" that isekai shows could use, that isekai worlds seem to all be so similar.
Yeah, as much as I enjoy RPGs, I don't really get the appeal of random game stats appearing in something like these isekai anime.
I also don't necessarily have anything against medieval settings, but it has been long overused.

If you have any ideas for a world you'd like to see in an isekai series, please feel free to share.
I think it'd be cool if there was an isekai with some kind of spooky Halloween theme or something.

I don't even celebrate Halloween, but I just think it'd be really cool. Like it doesn't have to be absolutely horrifying or even a horror series, but some fun-looking cartoony designs in a Halloween-themed town sounds like a really fun ideal; it might also catch the interest of those who try and watch some appropriate anime before/in place of trick-o'-treating. Perhaps something like The Nightmare Before Christmas's Halloween Town, or the Magical World in Sugar Sugar Rune, or even whatever amount I remember of Soul Eater's Death City.

Lots of humanoid creatures and demihumans might live here, maybe even the stereotypical Halloween monsters like mummies, skeletons, witches... dark and spooky purple color scheme might be appropriate too. But I also think I wouldn't mind a Halloween-themed city specifically more like Kingdom Hearts 2's Twilight Town with its sunset/orange color scheme and generally warm and inviting atmosphere.

Like maybe take something like Twilight Town and take its mysterious aspects to 150x or something. It could have all the fantasy creatures I mentioned, but the whole place would be a lot more calmer and overall quaint. Maybe keep in some shady stuff like some gangs on the side if it's more of a city setting. If an isekai had this kind of setting and killed off its main character just to reincarnate them into this world, then I imagine the main character might have a very nice childhood with some friendly Halloween monsters and stuff.
Top it off with some nice OST like "Lazy Afternoons" and you've got yourself an isekai world that I bet anyone could learn to love. XD

tl;dr: Halloween/spooky-theme + KH2 Twilight Town = interesting unique isekai world imo

I suppose the closest we're getting to an isekai with a spooky world setting is Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun. I've never watched/read it though, so idk if it has exactly the type of world that I'd want to see. If anyone has seen/read it and wants to sell me on it, feel free to do so.
Apr 22, 2021 7:00 PM
Jul 2018
Probably a reverse-isekai setting is better like in The Devil is a Part-Timer.
Apr 22, 2021 7:06 PM
Dec 2017
Fario-P said:
ProfessionalNEET said:
Would you like isekai more if it had a wider range of settings?
Yes.

I haven't watched that much isekai, but it seems that most if not all isekai takes place in some sort of fantasy setting. On top of that, most isekai worlds have game-like mechanics, in particular specifically MMORPG mechanics (I don't play those kinds of games, sorry if I butcher the terminology). I find it rather odd, considering the enormous range of "other worlds" that isekai shows could use, that isekai worlds seem to all be so similar.
Yeah, as much as I enjoy RPGs, I don't really get the appeal of random game stats appearing in something like these isekai anime.
I also don't necessarily have anything against medieval settings, but it has been long overused.

If you have any ideas for a world you'd like to see in an isekai series, please feel free to share.
I think it'd be cool if there was an isekai with some kind of spooky Halloween theme or something.

I don't even celebrate Halloween, but I just think it'd be really cool. Like it doesn't have to be absolutely horrifying or even a horror series, but some fun-looking cartoony designs in a Halloween-themed town sounds like a really fun ideal; it might also catch the interest of those who try and watch some appropriate anime before/in place of trick-o'-treating. Perhaps something like The Nightmare Before Christmas's Halloween Town, or the Magical World in Sugar Sugar Rune, or even whatever amount I remember of Soul Eater's Death City.

Lots of humanoid creatures and demihumans might live here, maybe even the stereotypical Halloween monsters like mummies, skeletons, witches... dark and spooky purple color scheme might be appropriate too. But I also think I wouldn't mind a Halloween-themed city specifically more like Kingdom Hearts 2's Twilight Town with its sunset/orange color scheme and generally warm and inviting atmosphere.

Like maybe take something like Twilight Town and take its mysterious aspects to 150x or something. It could have all the fantasy creatures I mentioned, but the whole place would be a lot more calmer and overall quaint. Maybe keep in some shady stuff like some gangs on the side if it's more of a city setting. If an isekai had this kind of setting and killed off its main character just to reincarnate them into this world, then I imagine the main character might have a very nice childhood with some friendly Halloween monsters and stuff.
Top it off with some nice OST like "Lazy Afternoons" and you've got yourself an isekai world that I bet anyone could learn to love. XD

tl;dr: Halloween/spooky-theme + KH2 Twilight Town = interesting unique isekai world imo

I suppose the closest we're getting to an isekai with a spooky world setting is Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun. I've never watched/read it though, so idk if it has exactly the type of world that I'd want to see. If anyone has seen/read it and wants to sell me on it, feel free to do so.

A halloweentown+twlight town isekai is something that would really be so kickass!!

Apr 22, 2021 7:25 PM

Apr 2017
More settings wouldn't fix it. It addresses one problem that the isekai genre currently represents but not the most core issue: the fact that the very genre exists to serve as wish fulfillment and that any actually true deconstruction (where there is no harem aspect and no, NEET-kun would not get any girls or powers, especially not something as OP as return by death) would be unwatchable for most of today's isekai fans. This is evinced by the majority reaction to School Days which is a very true deconstruction of harem, but people reacted adversely to the idea of their fantasies destroyed before their faces.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 22, 2021 7:27 PM

May 2020
S5-Astraea said:
More settings wouldn't fix it. It addresses one problem that the isekai genre currently represents but not the most core issue: the fact that the very genre exists to serve as wish fulfillment and that any actually true deconstruction (where there is no harem aspect and no, NEET-kun would not get any girls or powers, especially not something as OP as return by death) would be unwatchable for most of today's isekai fans.

You really like going around and expressing your hate for Re:Zero huh
Apr 22, 2021 7:46 PM

Feb 2016
Actual JPRGs have a wider range of settings than web novel isekai.

Fario-P said:

It's just your typical "special school" storyline that was popularized by Harry Potter. The gimmick this time is that the characters are all demons in Hell, except Iruma. I like to share the school festival clip when I promote the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8qzMlC2qjo
その目だれの目?
Apr 22, 2021 7:46 PM

Jan 2020
Sure? I'm not begging for it but I wouldn't mind.

Apr 22, 2021 8:01 PM
Jan 2012
I don't know if that would be enough for me, however it would be a step in the right direction and would make me give that stupid ass basic Isekai premise more of a chance.

My biggest issues with modern Isekai is still the power fantasy, self-insert main characters though. If I'm not self-inserting, then these main characters are nothing but a hindrance since they have to really tone down the quality of writing to attempt to justify how good these characters lives suddenly become, and they're the main focus of these shows so I have literally nothing else to latch onto if the main characters suck.

If I had a choice between a shitty main character in a unique world or an actual well written main character in a generic video game inspired medieval fantasy world, I'll take the latter. It might still not be enough to get me into the genre, but it's the far less miserable experience for me.
Apr 22, 2021 9:20 PM

Apr 2017
Gilgameshuu said:

You really like going around and expressing your hate for Re:Zero huh

I don't actually hate it, believe it or not. It doesn't really deserve the honor or energy of being hated. It just happens to be relevant to this thread.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 22, 2021 10:12 PM

Jul 2020
I guess I would. I need to see more of isekai to see everything it has to offer
Apr 23, 2021 6:18 AM

Mar 2018
Probably. I don’t really watch them in part because I think being trapped in a video game is a pretty lame premise. Having said that, if it wasn’t something like being transported into a video game, what would be the point of it being in isekai? Why not just start in a different world and skip the whole transportation bit - it would probably help with the suspension of disbelief
Apr 23, 2021 7:26 AM

Feb 2016
Bfolls said:
Probably. I don’t really watch them in part because I think being trapped in a video game is a pretty lame premise. Having said that, if it wasn’t something like being transported into a video game, what would be the point of it being in isekai? Why not just start in a different world and skip the whole transportation bit - it would probably help with the suspension of disbelief

I like the concept of being transported to alternate worlds. But I definitely agree that certain popular isekai would make more sense with Japan removed from the storyline.
その目だれの目?
Apr 23, 2021 12:17 PM

May 2020
yes, the reason they all feel the same is because they all take place in a midevil/RPG world
I said with a posed look
Apr 24, 2021 12:28 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
i would reply to some people here but its too late at night to be doing that rn so ill do that later
for now lemme revive this again
i like reading these replies
Apr 24, 2021 12:55 AM
Jan 2018
A great Isekai can turn generic settings into something enjoyable and unique. That's why they thrive, not always need to deconstruct an entire Genre. You can have basic tags like fantasy, harem, magic, adventure but add formula like suffering, comedy, or drama, or good worldbuilding close to LoTR. You can actually get a pretty good story.

Apr 24, 2021 1:30 AM

Oct 2008
I have become slightly prejudice towards Isekai anime. But I still prefer them over Idol anime. So if we change the timeline, gender, species, age and values of protagonists and worlds a bit. It might refresh this subgenre somewhat.

The Slime Isekai gave us a species change.
The HameFura and Overlord Isekai series gave us a personality change.
The Maou-sama, Retry! Isekai we got a SCI-FI protagonist in a medieval fantasy setting (not that it was a successful attempt but still).

More topics from this board

» ✨✌The Character Rock Lee Is based On Bruce Lee?!

Metabee177 - Jun 5

19 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - Yesterday

33 by Nirinbo »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - 9 hours ago

22 by Theo1899 »»
4 minutes ago

» Favorite openings of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 2 hours ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 3 hours ago

15 by Nirinbo »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.