Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think of permenantly unfinished anime?

New
Nov 1, 2018 4:13 PM

Sep 2018
Recently i have been watching anime that were fun, but had no conclusion for the anime. What is your favorite anime that does this? What do you think of this?
Nov 1, 2018 4:15 PM

Nov 2016
rohan121 said:
Recently i have been watching anime that were fun, but had no conclusion for the anime. What is your favorite anime that does this? What do you think of this?

They make me upset. Luckily I haven't come across any I like too much though. I would love to see a ending to Slam Dunk as well
Nov 1, 2018 4:21 PM

Feb 2018
It's one of the reasons why I read manga instead. But when a manga doesn't get an ending it's even worse because unlike with anime you often can't just go read the source material to find out how the story ended.
Nov 1, 2018 4:42 PM

Dec 2016
A true shame (even more for non-manga readers) but what can we do besides just accept it.
Nov 1, 2018 4:46 PM

Dec 2012
They frustrate the hell out me. Some good examples include Kaze no Stigma and Highschool of the Dead which will most likely remain unfinished permanently due to deceased authors.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 1, 2018 4:57 PM
Feb 2017
You know what's almost worse? Bad anime getting more seasons. I guess a "bad anime" is subjective though.
Nov 1, 2018 6:59 PM

May 2009
I lament that they will never be finished.

It happens sadly often with one-cour series.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 1, 2018 7:12 PM

Nov 2016
Hated it at first, but there's nothing I could do and I eventually came to terms with it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 1, 2018 10:12 PM

Jan 2012
It's really disappointing when a good series doesn't get animated to its conclusion and the story is left incomplete, waiting for another season that will never come.
Nov 1, 2018 10:46 PM

Nov 2017
- disappointed
- still hope for the sequel
- find the Source material and read it (and probably buy'em officialy)
Yes, it was me back then... now i stop reading the source material for some specific reason.
- my brain was so tired to imagine character voice,sound effect, and their acctual movement. When i remembered myself back then, it was so embarrassing.
- if it was manga adaptation... its pretty easy to find it, but if it was novel adaptation.. then screw it.
- even i buying the source material officialy, there is no guarantee for the anime sequel.
Now Loading.....
Nov 1, 2018 11:08 PM

Jan 2012
rohan121 said:

Kind of surprising to see that with 192 days worth of anime, you stumbled upon such anime only recently.
For me, my very first anime did that (Ranma ½). While I enjoyed the series, I really wanted to know how it ends. I don't read manga so the ending is still a mystery to me. And more than half the anime I've watched gave me that feeling.

Nov 2, 2018 2:33 AM

Jul 2012
It depends on how they ended. Cases with a cliffhanger are probably the worst especially when it's like a major plot detail that pretty much sets up a new story. Because I just don't have any desire to read the source material so a cliffhanger ending pretty much means "whelp I won't have a satisfying conclusion for this anytime soon if ever".

If it's a satisfying ending then I don't particularly care if the story completely concluded because I can treat it as an open and shut experience. If it happens to get a sequel neat, if it never does I'm not left hanging for years.
Nov 2, 2018 2:46 AM
Apr 2018
rohan121 said:

Seikon no qwaster

The sec season was mostly filler and stopped at the worst part [ive read the manga]
Nov 2, 2018 2:46 AM
Apr 2018
rohan121 said:

Seikon no qwaster

The sec season was mostly filler and stopped at the worst part [ive read the manga]
Nov 2, 2018 3:03 AM

Jul 2013
Honestly I don't like them. Quite a few shows I like are in that never going to get another season phase. Doesn't make me dislike a show usually. Since the sequel bait is just them saying they want to do more, but sadly money is a thing and life kind of sucks lol.
Nov 2, 2018 3:14 AM

Apr 2014
This is a curse which we have to deal with. I am actually fine with reading manga after finishing an anime that interests me. But the thing I hate the most is LIGHT NOVELS or VISUAL NOVELS. Like holy shit how the fuck am I suppose to continue this in Japanese thing when its not even translated or more like I am not even interested in reading the books at all.
Nov 2, 2018 3:31 AM

Oct 2013
Well, its a sad part of this medium. Either you start reading the original source or you move on and deal with it--then, find something else you'll enjoy more.
Nov 2, 2018 3:31 AM

Nov 2011
It’s sad if I was enjoying the series. I virtually never read the source even if I liked the anime enough to attempt it. I’ve read a decent amount of the Akatsuki no Yona manga and own the first Spice & Wolf LN, for example. It just doesn’t work as well for me since I favor the medium of animation.

I still have plans to eventually read through the Spice & Wolf LNs, but considering I’ve had the first LN for years, it probably won’t happen soon. I’ve mostly given up on manga sources even if I still like the content.

I actually would entertain reading an English-translated webcomic. It’s pretty hit-or-miss, but I very muched enjoyed reading through Kid Radd years ago, for example, so I know the medium can work for me.
Nov 2, 2018 3:41 AM
Jul 2018
I personally do not mind a incomplete anime series. It become its own from the its original source material. While most are not written well there are some anime only ending that are good. For example, full metal achlemist 2003.
Nov 2, 2018 4:09 AM

Sep 2018
I hate it, I still don't understand the end of City Hunter some ten years later.

It is easy to forget the 12 and done series but it is bad to not finalise series with 3 or 4 seasons.
Nov 2, 2018 4:15 AM
Jul 2013
there's no such thing as permanently unfinished anime
there's just long time until sequel anime
Nov 2, 2018 4:25 AM
Jul 2018
Kaiji is one of them. If i'm not wrong there are 3 Sequels of the manga already finished that has not been adapted into anime and a 4th one ongoing. This doesn't include spin-offs! I'll wait a few months hoping they'll give to us the 3rd season, othervise i'll start reading the manga.
Nov 2, 2018 4:42 AM

Jun 2011
Spice and Wolf and Saiunkoku Monogatari, off the top of my head right now. It's frustrating that there's only novel version of those and not a manga. I very rarely ever read a novel and the idea doesn't fascinate me right now.

At least other favorite anime of mine like Chihayafuru, Skip Beat, Air Gear, Getbackers etc have their own manga.. and Toaru series seems popular enough to warrant more anime seasons..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 2, 2018 4:43 AM

Mar 2016
Its fucked up.........
I'm really sad to say that

Nov 2, 2018 4:49 AM
May 2009
I end up reading the Manga instead, that is of course assuming that, that itself gets completed.
Nov 2, 2018 4:57 AM
Jul 2015
It's one of the worst things that can happen to a story, I still could not get over the HOTD case.
Nov 2, 2018 4:59 AM
Jul 2018
Frqncy said:
It's one of the worst things that can happen to a story, I still could not get over the HOTD case.

To bad the author died. Can't the studio make a sequel by it's self? Or let's call shenron and revive him just to finish the manga!
Nov 2, 2018 5:04 AM

Jul 2017
well if that' happens I'll read the manga(if it's finished) or read the manga until I read everything that's come out and then put it on hold until it finishes publishing. but I use to never read mangas so when that happened it realy sucked.
HomuraSayaka777 said:
You know what's almost worse? Bad anime getting more seasons. I guess a "bad anime" is subjective though.
any anime I dislike it a bad anime
Invidioso said:
Kaiji is one of them. If i'm not wrong there are 3 Sequels of the manga already finished that has not been adapted into anime and a 4th one ongoing. This doesn't include spin-offs! I'll wait a few months hoping they'll give to us the 3rd season, othervise i'll start reading the manga.
I think the manga's parts 3 to 6(that's publishing rn) are all tied together so that may be one of the reasons madhouse hasn't adapted it yet.
Nov 2, 2018 5:08 AM
Jul 2018
@Zehennagel
well, i didn't include first two since both has an anime. So i guess i was right. 4 volumes of kaiji that need an anime. I really need to know more about Kaiji!

Damn my Time. I barelly had to much time to read all Kaijis manga :(
Nov 2, 2018 5:15 AM
Jul 2015
Invidioso said:
Frqncy said:

To bad the author died. Can't the studio make a sequel by it's self? Or let's call shenron and revive him just to finish the manga!

It would be a nice miracle to continue the anime, but I can not be satisfied knowing that it will not be the same continuation that the Author Daisuke would choose.
Nov 2, 2018 5:30 AM

Oct 2012
yeah it's pretty fucked up. The teenager inside of me is still depressed about Haruhi never being completed. Nothing hit me super hard with this lately tho.
Nov 2, 2018 5:40 AM

Jun 2017
Is this a new trend in AD?! Because I'm seeing threads like this every 2 weeks recently...

I get used to it so there is no problem
Nov 2, 2018 9:00 AM

May 2018
Disappointed but still clinging on that shred of hope that they would continue but it's likely impossible.

𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐳𝐞𝐫𝐨.
𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈'𝐦 𝐚𝐢𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫.
Nov 2, 2018 10:28 AM

Dec 2017
If the source material is finished and easy to find then it's not too bad. Honestly I kinda want to be a director just so I can see the end for some shows.

It's a shame really. A lot of shows that don't get the closure they deserve.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Nov 2, 2018 12:35 PM

Nov 2009
rohan121 said:

If the anime was really good, I seek out the source and read that. If it's not worth the effort to read the source, it's not good enough.
Nov 2, 2018 12:36 PM

May 2014
Usagi Drop did this, but I'm thankful that they didn't adapt the infamous parts later on in the manga.
Nov 2, 2018 12:44 PM

Jan 2016
Sadly, I'm used to it. Part of why I tend to seek out adaptations of completed material or original anime, but I'm used to not getting complete endings. With some of my favorites I go seek out the source material or in some cases, the anime ends on a good enough note that I'm satisfied, but there's plenty of cases where I just do not get an ending.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Nov 2, 2018 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
it's annoying but then you watch more anime and forget about them
Nov 2, 2018 7:17 PM

Jul 2017
If I'm enjoying it and it ended just that, I'm gonna be disappointed.

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 8 hours ago

43 by ShatteredSans »»
32 seconds ago

» Have you ever refused to watch an anime because of its toxic fanbase?

Alpha_1_Zero - 19 minutes ago

6 by Karva1 »»
1 minute ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 9 hours ago

22 by ShatteredSans »»
3 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

34 by Horshu »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 9 hours ago

39 by perseii »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.