Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Mar 30, 2018 5:02 PM

Jun 2009
Anime of the season for me. I will miss it a lot!
Mar 30, 2018 7:22 PM

Dec 2015
The story clicked from the 1st episode and it's done nothing but blossom from there. Props to Madhouse for creating something special ♥️

8.61 as of typing, here's to the end of an incredible series! Looking forward to the next journey. 100/10

#yorimoi
~
Mar 30, 2018 11:40 PM

Sep 2014
It's been bugging me since I watched this episode, but my question is:

This is probably a wild guess (or not, if it was confirmed already), so I need to know whether my assumptions are correct.
HOMURA DID NOTHING WRONG.

Mar 31, 2018 12:14 AM

Apr 2016
TakesatoKeita said:

This is probably a wild guess (or not, if it was confirmed already), so I need to know whether my assumptions are correct.

Mar 31, 2018 12:24 AM

Sep 2014
Onsa_Rin said:
TakesatoKeita said:

HOMURA DID NOTHING WRONG.

Mar 31, 2018 4:12 AM

Jan 2015
What an enjoyable ride it was. The girls came back, having those memories. Ah, I want to do something different in my life now.
Good finale, 8/10!
Mar 31, 2018 5:44 AM

Jul 2017
It was alright. Don't know why it's being so praised, but strokes for different strokes I guess. I'll give it a 5/10.
Mar 31, 2018 7:40 AM
Jan 2018
Kittens-kun said:
maikogs said:
Still a bit disappointed about the story tho. I expect shirashe mother still alive since her said 'my mom is waiting'. Still, great anime regardless

That's your own fault really. Can't blame that on the show. It was obvious from the start that her mom was dead. She was lost and alone in one of the most uninhabitable places on Earth. If you really expected her to survive there for three years, then I don't know what to tell you.
it's just my expectation...
Mar 31, 2018 7:43 AM

May 2015
maikogs said:
Kittens-kun said:

That's your own fault really. Can't blame that on the show. It was obvious from the start that her mom was dead. She was lost and alone in one of the most uninhabitable places on Earth. If you really expected her to survive there for three years, then I don't know what to tell you.

And I'm saying you should not have expected her to be alive given the situation. You brought the disappointment on yourself.

Mar 31, 2018 8:08 AM

May 2017
maikogs said:
Kittens-kun said:

They called off the search, presumably took all the supplies they had with them and rode the slowcats back to sowya station, packed up and went home for 3 years. How does she survive in that place with no food, no fuel to use for warmth, no vehicle to catch a ride back to sowya?

Her only chance at survival would to have been miraculously found by another antarctic team, and they would have heard about her rescue a long time ago.

There was never a chance she would be found alive. My expectations were that her body would be found and recovered,and I had actually mentally prepared for that moment. I did not see it going the way it did, but I never once thought she would be alive waiting for shirase.

Mar 31, 2018 8:10 AM

Nov 2011
It was a series finale with flakes, especially for what you see in the final moments and for the speech that was made in the final minutes, I think there will not be a sequel, this is saddening me a little, but it's okay same, what was meant was said, and what was to be shown has also been revealed. Maybe if there were no forcing in the narration, the show would have gained more in terms of realism, however I'm satisfied with this anime series, especially because of the collective, which here too was able to give that something more in the narrative. The soundtrack is very catchy.

8.52/10
Mar 31, 2018 5:52 PM

Feb 2011
Without doubt the greatest surprise of the season. 10/10

Lelouch0202 said:

I feel the last few lines of the show describe it the best,
"When you go on a journey, there are things you learn for the first time.
'That this scenery is indispensable.'
'That people change, the world changes, even when you're not looking.'
'That there's no such this as a 'nothing' day.'
'That your house has it's own smell.'
'If you want to learn those things, you've gotta get moving. Then just keep moving until you see something you've never seen before.'
'No matter how far you go, the world is big, you'll definitely find something new.'
'It's a little scary, but I know you can do it.'
'Because people who feel the same way will find you right away.'"

'We'll go on another journey someday'

This. It's describes perfectly the show and any journey that we had, and will have someday.
Music is freedom
Mar 31, 2018 6:08 PM

Oct 2007
Listening to full version of "One Step". It's the song when they went out of the ship during the rain. Really nice song. Gives the feeling of adventure. ^^

Mar 31, 2018 11:05 PM

Oct 2007
I was wondering if the producers of this show expected this anime to be so well received? Or maybe this is just one of those 12 -13 episode anime that is unexpectedly praised a lot, like Girls und Panzer and Madoka Magica.
Apr 1, 2018 10:30 AM

Sep 2007
What an amazing series, truly the gem of the season. Shirase have developed into such a well fleshed out character and deciding to cut her hair is symbolic that she is finally able to truly accept her mom is gone, that she have left behind that chapter of her life. Passing the laptop to Gin also signifies that she is going to move on with her life. While it did not end with a bang it is a very satisfying conclusion and that how this journey of self discovery have impacted and changed these girls. This is my favorite anime of the season hands down.
InfernalApr 2, 2018 8:14 AM
Apr 1, 2018 2:35 PM

Oct 2012
It wasn't bad closure, and good episode in fact, but it could have been better. The last two episodes were okay but it still couldn't save the rest of the series for me in the end.

The reason the ending farewell and speech Shirase had wasn't as impactful as it could have been was tied to the fact they weren't in Anctarctica for long, only three episodes or so to build any emotions. If they left as soon as episode one kicked out or in the episode two at latest it would have worked a lot better and they could still show many things in retrospective. If all of this anime was dedicated to their journey, not just second half of it, if the pacing was better, it would feel a lot more like they actually achieved something (cause right now I don't feel like they did).

The ending credit rolls scene were nicely done still, and even though there was bit suspension of disbelief about Shirase not noticing that one left alone undelivered mail, it wasn't actually bad. But... the characters of this anime felt more like parodies of themselves rather then real people to me, they were annoying at times, the drama was mostly forced, cliches were put in over-abundance and I didn't like the comedy either. There were some good episodes, yes, (especially 9th one) but overall I see lot of wasted potential here. YuruCamp was definitely better in my book. So there you have it.

6/10 (my average was actually 6,5 but I had to round it down for reasons mentioned)
Apr 2, 2018 2:43 PM

Jul 2014
ah, what a great season for great anime have to ended, 3-gatsu no lion 2nd, Yuru camp, violet evergarden, and then this masterpiece...

easily 10/10..

GangsterCat said:
I recommend all of you guys to watch Uchuu Kyodai, similar type of anime, miles better.

man of culture :')
Apr 2, 2018 5:45 PM

Sep 2011
jal90 said:
My thoughts on the ending.

I feel like the reason I couldn't like this anime as much as everyone else came from several smaller and bigger issues (well, issues for me at least).
I kind of lost interest when I learned that apart from Shirase, all the other girls' motivation to go on this big yet dangerous adventure were lackluster, to say the least. From this came that I found myself often having a hard time actually feeling the seriousness of their journey, which wasn't helped by the switches between comedy and drama. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad with having both, it's just that it felt..."weird" here a lot of times for me.
I would have liked either a more serious anime about an expedition to Antarctica (Shirase would have been good for that as well), or a less serious one, if that makes any sense :'D The way it was, it often felt like the show was more about character drama, rather than Antarctica itself, which was nothing more than a background for these a lot of times.
The characters were mostly okay, but as I wrote in the last episodes, their individual character drama (and the episodic aspect of them) overshadowed the entire Antarctica arc. These could have been easily done on the journey so that we can spend more time on the titular place of the show, and learn more about it, and not just in tiny bits.

Nevertheless, I don't dislike the show, and it still had its good moments, but I would not watch it again, that's for sure. I can't say I'm not surprised by the the amount of love it got, but I'll have to go with a 6/10 :/
Apr 3, 2018 4:26 AM
Oct 2015
This was truly an emotional rollercoaster, where it started of climbing the slope and episode 5 was the first little fall then all of a sudden a bunch of little falls appeared and finally episode 12 nailed it with a king hit off feels~, but this episode was able to finalise everything perfectly.
Props to Madhouse for doing an amazing job, just because it's Madhouse there's a low chance of getting a proper sequel but there is still a chance (proven by overlord). But even if there was a sequel there isn't too much to expect from it, so I'll personally be fine with a few episode OVA, maybe covering Megu's little adventure.
Overall, this anime, in my opinion, this was the best in the season fitting cause it's the winter season, anyway I'll give this a solid 9/10
Heckle was here...
Apr 3, 2018 6:59 PM

Aug 2015
I finished this a bit late because I got caught up in other things, but this was a fantastic series. Shirase's final reply to her mother put the whole series into context for me and sent a flood of emotions that I really wasn't expecting when I first watched episode 1. Seeing how much Shirase has developed and chased her dreams and her mother's legacy really made me feel a sense of pride that few series can make me feel towards a fictional character.
Apr 4, 2018 5:17 AM

Apr 2014
just ended this and THIS SHOW DESERVE BEST ENDING OF THE SEASON. Totally stunning when see last 2 episodes. Yuru Camp is comfy and warming but this so touching and meaningful.
AOTS? Obviously.
10/10
Apr 4, 2018 6:35 AM

May 2007
That show was a 10

From the amazing scene of running in Tokyo in episode 1 to the twist at the end with Megumi, and everything in between, just amazing, it has been a long time since I felt this way about a show, but wow. I'm glad I decided to watch it.
My anime list
Apr 4, 2018 3:05 PM

Sep 2015
Damn I haven't had an anime take me on a ride like that in awhile. Kind of hope it comes back. Don't know if there's more to the manga. Kind of hope that was it. Because for me that was damn near perfect. Give or take some rushed pacing near the end. The final two episodes brought the story to a powerful and meaningful conclusion. That made good on the shows promise of an emotional journey. Easily my AOTS. And fuck it, it's probably an 8 or a 9. But I'm giving it a 10/10.
Apr 4, 2018 7:04 PM

Feb 2014
wow wow wow... so overrated!

5-6/10
Apr 4, 2018 7:07 PM

May 2015
Vi- said:
wow wow wow... so overrated!

5-6/10

Got any actual arguments?

Apr 4, 2018 8:19 PM

Jan 2013
Well, can't believe it's already over. Definitely one of the best animes of this year.
I knew it was almost impossible but i thought it could be possible that her mother was alive and would appear in the last episode.
This is one of those animes that you start watching because the plot sounds way to weird to be good, so you decide to give it a try...and you just fall in love with it xD
Never expected this to be so good! And i am so glad that we had an end. One of the best final episode, so glad i watched this!

Maybe there will be an OVA or a Movie in the future when the girls will be adult and will go again to Antartica with the rest of the team, that would be great!!

I don't know how much i will rate this, but if i could i would give it a 9.5/10 xD

Thank you for this amazing anime! <3

<3

"People who feel the same way will find you right away" - Tamaki Mari
AivanKApr 4, 2018 11:08 PM
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 4, 2018 9:15 PM

Dec 2016
Tbh this show was absolutely amazing. It started on such a high note for me and I loved it, but halfway through when they were on the boat it was stalling a bit. There were only 5 episodes left for the Antarctica part and I had no idea where it was going to go or what was going to happen. Then they got there and I wasn’t feeling it too much. But then it all changed....

I absolutely loved episode 11, it made me feel like I did at the beginning of the show. The chemistry was there again, especially between Shirase and Hinata. And then episode 12.... need I explain?? It was the 2nd time an anime actually made me cry. And it came from out of nowhere, I was so not expecting the feels...

There are so many things I could say about this short 13 episode anime that I don’t want to clutter a post with, but I could talk about it for hours. Everything just fit and I didnt want the girls to leave. I wish there were more episodes but at the same time I dont because this was so perfect.

I wish more anime were as inspirational as this one is. I feel a lot like Kimari did myself, wasting my time and not doing anything exciting with my life. And this shows that you can do whatever you set your mind to... Hopefully one day I will have the confidence to say IN YOUR FACE!!!

10/10
Apr 5, 2018 12:06 AM

Jun 2016
MAL score's still rising, now at 8.66. Will it crack the top 50? Definitely deserves to, in my book. An 11/10 series, and I'm glad I had the pleasure to watch it weekly while it aired.

Apr 5, 2018 1:21 AM

May 2017
Arachnophobic said:
MAL score's still rising, now at 8.66. Will it crack the top 50? Definitely deserves to, in my book. An 11/10 series, and I'm glad I had the pleasure to watch it weekly while it aired.

Yuss I'm glad to hear that ^3^
Apr 6, 2018 3:41 PM

Nov 2017
That was by far the best anime of the season imo. The ending scene too... I don’t think I’ve cried for happy feeling anime before 10/10
Apr 6, 2018 5:28 PM

Mar 2012
Wonderful ending, wonderful show. They tried to tell too big of a story for thirteen episodes, but overambitious is better than under-ambitious. Would love to see the core staff do another original together.

GreenEmu said:
Don't know why it's being so praised, but strokes for different strokes I guess.
The main reason is that it's rare to see an ensemble cast of such believable female characters.
JoshApr 6, 2018 6:12 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 7, 2018 4:18 PM

Feb 2013
Oh, they were only staying the summer.

4/10 (below average)
This is one of those that I should have dropped but didn't. It had its "charm" that that was enough to keep me going.

Recommendation: Hanayamata (it's the same kind of CGDCT)
Apr 8, 2018 10:19 AM

Aug 2012
I'm speechless, all I can say is this show is absolutely impressive. A solid 10/10 in my books, this one is definitely my AOTS and a strong contender for AOTY.

My Youtube page: link
Apr 8, 2018 6:32 PM
Jul 2015
Today I just found my first favorite anime of all time.
Watching this anime was a wonderful experience, it produced all kinds of emotions in me and left in my memory a nice memory of these four girls and their adventure in "a place further away than space"
Apr 9, 2018 2:31 PM

Sep 2014
This anime right here is the reason I watch (seasonal) anime. You dont know about it, expect nothing, and get absolutely blown away.

Its absolutely beautiful. Even the artstyle is outstanding while not too weird.

AOTS 10/10 right here. I just pre-ordered the BDs. Shit needs to get in my shelf.

PS: I really hope we will see the girls again, if just for an OVA meetup on vacation or so.

This anime also managed to hype me up every single time it aired. Best way to start the day. As something you watch before you go to sleep it didnt work at all, I needed to do something.
Maybe Im overrating it, and after the rewatch I will possibly put it back to a 9, but they touched a topic which hits to close to home, the feeling of doing something with your youth. I could never relate more to anything I saw in an anime.

I will continue to spread the glory of "A Place Further Than The Universe" this entire year. Hit me up you sequels and remakes to come, I dare you to challenge this position for the AOTY.

PPS: Watching "The Terror" after this sure has a special feeling to it.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 10, 2018 7:57 AM
Jul 2011
@Comander-07
Watching "The Terror"

Watch out for possible cameo from Megu-chan ;))).
Apr 10, 2018 9:50 AM

Apr 2015
You can't hit like that and expect that to fly, that can only become a slow grounder towards second base.

Last series I remember that used an insert song medley in the last episode was what...Railgun S?

Good finale. About the show...maybe I'll get around to writing a review, a personal one. A lost opportunity for me. 6/10
Apr 11, 2018 8:12 AM

Apr 2011
What a wonderful and great journey that was. I should have expect there'll be feels near the end about Takako. I was hoping she'll miraculously survive, but that's impossible. It was a difficult journey for the girls. Also about people who looked down on them, being laughed, betrayedd and saying its impossible for a ridiculous journey to be achieved. But they were proven wrong. In your face indeed.

The feels really hit hard. And I just finished Violet Evergarden yesterday. Thought this is less feels. Both are great and I just had to marathon and finish the rest in one go. And it was worth it. This is one of the best shows on Winter season. THis and Yurucamp and even Violet were tops. These animes made the start of the year fun.

Props to the makers and staff of this great anime. It was so much fun.

9/10

Apr 11, 2018 2:44 PM

Apr 2014
this series was beautiful, it was one of those seriesthat comes every once in awhile thats just perfect and this series was perfect imo

though with it ending like it did i would love for more to come another season or something

but this series definitely a fave for me really sad for it to be over but hopefully something will come in the near future
"one step at a time"
Apr 15, 2018 5:19 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Damn. I hate saying I get tear jerked often but this series really did make me tear up if not full blown cry on many occasions. Heck even in episode one. I truly think this is one of the best coming together series I've ever seen, everyone is motivated, everyone has their time to shine and the story starts and wraps in 13 episodes. That is such craftsman ship when it comes to these one-cour series. Madhouse you crazy fuckers, you did it.
Apr 17, 2018 9:48 PM

Aug 2013
That aurora and the 10000 times better *.*
nice episode to wrap everything up

easily 10/10 for the slice of life category
enjoy every seconds watching this, though the real charm got me when I saw 2nd episode (that runaway scene xD)

my little complaint would be Megu's picture, would you normally go to arctic just because your friend went to antartic?? how could she easily got in there as well, LoL
but that doesn't really matter :3

Apr 21, 2018 12:10 PM

Jul 2009
Shirase looks a lot like her mom, but also like the captain...great end!
Apr 21, 2018 10:41 PM

Feb 2013
What an amazing show!!! I loved it so much!!! Easily one of the best of the season. So much emotion, it was adorable, it was hilarious, it had so much going for it. Right now I'm giving it a 9/10 but it could easily be a 10/10.

And that end....what???
Apr 22, 2018 4:11 AM

Aug 2016
Nothing this season can top this.
An absolutely phenomenal adventure
10/10, I loved every second of it
Apr 22, 2018 4:41 PM

May 2017
Anime of the year. No question, nothing will come close.

I'll miss it, but alas all good things must come to an end.

Thank you for the journey, a journey like no other.

Apr 24, 2018 4:31 AM

Jun 2017
I will never understand this...
Apr 27, 2018 10:22 PM

Oct 2016
What a breathtaking experience with plenty emotions. Great characters, unique plot, and penguins! Loved the series!

Also:

I died from cuteness.
Apr 29, 2018 4:09 PM

Oct 2015
Shirase haircut showed how much she has changed and matured. At least now she will able to accept her mother's death and have a great outlook on life.

But leaving the 1M back at Antarctica was drastic though, but I liked how she was able to fully make up with the captain I kinda wanted that. As for Kimari, Megu has travelled to Antarctica without her how sad.

But overall I enjoyed this series, I wouldn't say it was great but it was worthwhile.

A decent 7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 30, 2018 1:38 AM
Mar 2012
Good end tying each character's arc. It wasn't quite what I expected; it was much less of beautiful scenery, climbing/exploration or cute antarctic animals; it was mainly character centric drama & coming of age. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed stuff like Yuru camp bit more, but YoriMoi had consistent high quality with its art, good script, excellent empathetic & fun characters fumbling through each of their flaws & troubles.
The mood, osts & pacing are quite perfect & the four mc's really moved the journey forward.
Shirase's speech was great with the barren openness symbolism (& her mahjong). The best parts have been the idiosyncratic antics & comedy that make the characters so believable & fun.
May 5, 2018 4:26 AM

Jan 2016
Im curious what will happen if kimari cutting his hair
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Binge or slow watch?

Crystalligator - Aug 23

18 by GoldEEr »»
Aug 28, 5:21 PM

» What's good about this ?

Bruh-__- - Nov 25, 2021

25 by Laplace_kun »»
Aug 23, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

309 by LostBoii »»
Aug 22, 2:08 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2018

214 by kirA_-_ »»
Aug 18, 7:41 AM

» How realistic is this??

Sandro8604 - May 25, 2021

12 by Tacsk0 »»
Aug 13, 1:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.