Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 10, 2018 8:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was a pretty interesting episode.

Seeing Chise and her family in this memory is quite something. They seemed rather happy too together especially between Chise and her mother. Cartaphilus is still a character to be very wary of. The part with how Chise's mother acted against her own daughter was painful to watch.

Great psychology this episode. I thought they adapted chapters 42+ really well.
Stark700Mar 10, 2018 10:51 AM
Mar 10, 2018 11:08 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Great episode. Chise wakes up in Cartaphilus's place and eventually goes along with what he wants. The scene where they switch eyes, mainly when he took hers out, gave me chills. The we have Chise reliving her memories of her family as a kid while she's asleep. It's sad to see how her family breaks apart.

Chise eventually confronts the mother she's created and realizes that her real mother never wanted to kill her. She's freed herself from having those memories now, even if she might still not forgive her yet. Now Chise knows she has a bit of Joseph/ Cartaphilus in her and they have yet to take the curse away from her arm.

Very very much looking forward to the next episode.
Mar 10, 2018 11:25 AM

Apr 2016
This used to be anime about gardening ...

Well, anyway ...

Great episode, finally some back story of what actually happened with Chise and her family back then. But i also really want to see what happened to Dad and her brother, there must be a reason.
Mar 10, 2018 11:33 AM

Feb 2017
Good episode. Chise finally freed herself from her past and is now able to move forward, I am glad she figured out that her mom didn't hate her.

I wonder what really motivated her father to disappear with her brother. Did he see something more that night or he just simply snaped after all that time?
It is weird to me that he just escaped so suddenly when he seemed to have no big problems with his family and was from what we can see a good father.

Looks like we are getting Joseph's past next week, I am excited for that.

Mar 10, 2018 12:20 PM

Jun 2015
Such a great episode. The scene of switching eyes was creepy. Chise's past is so brutal and tragic. I really want to know why her dad disappeared with her brother. I hope that gets answered soon. I'm glad Chise realized her mother never hated her and decided to move forward. Excited for next week.
Mar 10, 2018 12:38 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

Chise's past is really tragic. :(
I really wanna know why Chise's Dad left her and her Mom when he did but that does mean her Dad and possibly brother are still out there somewhere, so she still has family left in the world.

I felt really bad for Chise's Mom and what happened to her, trying to endure and raise Chise all by herself despite both her and Chise's issues. I'm not surprised she lost her reason when she because of the temptation and influence of all thise evil creatures. :(

I'm glad that while Chise can't forgive her Mom for what she did, she was at least able to make peace with the fact it happened and decided to move forward.
Looking forward to next week.
Mar 10, 2018 12:47 PM
Jul 2016
we're getting really close to the end. i wonder if joseph is the final bad guy or is this just the first arc? we haven't seen the academy that was mentioned a few times. it's kinda funny that they did the "dad went to buy milk and never came back" part lol
Mar 10, 2018 12:53 PM

Feb 2016
Damn, after that last week episode I expected to be let down, but magically this episode was really great in all means, quite bittersweet but good.

That eye scene tho, even if it wasn't 100% shown, it was painful.

Ah Chise's Past is finally revealed... Can't wait for next week
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 10, 2018 1:00 PM

Nov 2016
Pretty great episode with some interesting aspects.

Chises past wasn't a happy one for sure,it was nice to see more of it and that the issue regarding her mother was finally solved. Still would like to know where her father left.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 10, 2018 2:06 PM

Dec 2012
Woah what an episode.

Arghhh Joseph pulling out Chise's eye.

Chise was so adorable as a child. The flashback was so sad though.
Wonder where her father & brother went?

"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 10, 2018 2:07 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Best episode in a while. seeing her family backgound and situation was really gripping and interesting stuff.

The eye bit was creepy as hell,
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 10, 2018 2:12 PM

Feb 2017
So if I get it right, Chise is now immortal and has dragon powers plus her born sleigh beggy powers.

Now I wonder what her father was running from and why he hesitated when thinking of bringing her with him.
Mar 10, 2018 3:34 PM

Jan 2016
Great episode! Finally, we got some backstory on Chise and her family. Her dad is still a mystery though.

Quick question for manga readers, I see that there are 43 chapters out and 42 chapters have been adapted so far if I'm correct. Is this going to have an anime original ending?
Mar 10, 2018 5:04 PM

Mar 2016
Now I need to know why did Chise's father took his son and left his wife and daughter behind, but with only two episodes I don't think we'll get an explanation.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Mar 10, 2018 6:07 PM

Aug 2014
Just guessing but I believe he left as he couldn't deal with the creatures either anymore. Going by the cat thing on the railing just before he leaves and the fact he was gonna bring Chise with him, but stopped since he knew the creatures would follow her as well.
Mar 10, 2018 6:20 PM
Sep 2014
Yeah I think he just could'nt deal with monsters anymore and want to protect his son from slay vega's attraction.
But the mystery is why he could see them and deal with tem all of this time.
Mar 10, 2018 7:03 PM

Sep 2011
Vidocq2 said:
Yeah I think he just could'nt deal with monsters anymore and want to protect his son from slay vega's attraction.
But the mystery is why he could see them and deal with tem all of this time.

I don’t think that is a mystery as such. Her father was a mage of some sort. Remember that Chise is unusual in that normally Sleigh Beggy’s can’t see the creatures that are attracted to them. Her father obviously could and she inherited that from him, and her Sleigh Beggy nature from her mother.
Mar 10, 2018 8:25 PM

Jun 2017
Wow, The strangling and suicide scene had no music, no special effects, just a girl about to be murdered by her mother. That felt so real, I almost couldn't watch it. Absolutely outstanding.
Mar 10, 2018 9:18 PM

Jul 2017
FireFistYK said:
Great episode! Finally, we got some backstory on Chise and her family. Her dad is still a mystery though.

Quick question for manga readers, I see that there are 43 chapters out and 42 chapters have been adapted so far if I'm correct. Is this going to have an anime original ending?

Officially the tankobon format isn't out yet, but for now the Eng subs is (at the moment) latest at Chap 43, so the possibility is still high for an anime original ending, depending on the mangaka.

Everything aside, we get to see Chise's tragic life in the human world with her earthly parents, from dusk till dawn, all by Cartaphilus's curse.

The mystery that started the series with her dad that never got home, and her mom that stood by her when evil things started happening and at first looks like an abandonment and a suicide, but it was the reverse in reality.

The love of a daughter by her own estranged mum, with that a sense of foreboding yet calm composure, and with that, accepting the curse that is the alternate Joseph/Cartaphilus and forcing the present Joseph into a corner.

Brillant episode as always towards the final 2 episodes, can't wait for next week.
Mar 10, 2018 9:19 PM
Jan 2016
Chise's father had better have had a damn good reason for abandoning them like that and I hope someone tears him a new one if he shows himself again
Mar 10, 2018 10:03 PM

Nov 2011
Wow, that was one hell of an episode...
Small Chise was so cute, too bad she has to suffer so much. What ws the father thinking, abandoning them just like that.
Next ep we will have Cartaphillus past huh. I'm curious to see that.
Baby, daijobanai...
Mar 10, 2018 10:48 PM

May 2015
Well this sure reminds me of a certain episode in Jigoku Shoujo. However...

Mar 10, 2018 11:30 PM

Apr 2016
Things got more interesting , of damm two different eyes is seems like sign of future badass girl
BRAWLERS
Mar 10, 2018 11:55 PM

Jan 2014
damn, Chise starting to get badass this time. different eyes, immortality, phoenix magic. things starting to chained and liven up to the title.
Mar 11, 2018 3:30 AM
Jun 2017
Beautiful episode, it shown about Chise's past!!! What could happen between chise and Joseph? Im so excited about it...
Mar 11, 2018 4:47 AM

Jun 2017
I was looking forward to the eyeball exchange scene a lot and it delivered in a real nightmare fuel way. Next episode is about Joshep/Cartha past. Bad thing is we are out of manga chapters so will this get an original ending?

Still, there is no way we will get answers as to why Chise's dad left with her brother because 2 eps are just not enough. A second season could be plausible after 4-5 years imo.

Mar 11, 2018 6:07 AM

Feb 2014
I usually like heterochromia but Chise looks really fucked up
Mar 11, 2018 7:28 AM

Jun 2016
Not gonna lie this whole season has been kinda meh for me but these 2 last episodes my BOI have been amazing!!
Mar 11, 2018 8:52 AM

May 2017
Wtf why is Chise still not forgiving her mother? She raised her alone while both of them had weak bodies and had to deal with those things, you got strangled for a bit and then your weak mom decided to suicide bcoz she couldn't take it anymore, if I saw that I'd pity my mom and thank her for enduring until her limits NOT fucking take hard feelings and despise her. SMFH Chise WTAF
Mar 11, 2018 9:25 AM

Jul 2015
I am just curious why exactly did her father take her brother and leave?Something big is going on.

Mar 11, 2018 10:25 AM

Jun 2016
I enjoyed this episode more than the last one. Chise looking into her past and being able to see things from a fresh perspective is a good thing for her healing. I'm glad she no longer wants to die. She said it before, but I believe it now.

She's probably going to go back to Elias, but I think they'll have a better relationship this way. It was incredibly shallow before, so now that Chise wants to live and no longer fears what may happen, I think she's going to go at this with new eyes (no pun intended). She won't just accept Elias, but try to help him understand things. Plus, while I don't think he's responsible for her family being torn apart, he may have information on her father. If her dad is a mage, then the other mages should know of him in some way or form. Even if he isn't alive, her brother must be. And if Elias doesn't know anything, he'll be able to help her find them.

Vivekananda said:
I am just curious why exactly did her father take her brother and leave?Something big is going on.

That was the most interesting part for me. He clearly has some mage like powers, since he was able to see the weasel and the other black monsters. I'm sure he left to protect his family as oppose to the narrative that he left because he got sick of things. But what he was running from or protecting them from remains a mystery.

°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Mar 11, 2018 10:38 AM

Feb 2014
Things really got intense in this episode. The eye transplant was a bit difficult to watch at first, but then going into Chise's past only made things even more brutal and difficult. D=

It was interesting to see that Chise's father had some sort of mage-like powers, but his reason of leaving Chise and his wife, while taking his son with him, remains a mystery. Did he get sick of it and decided to run away or did he think that running away would protect Chise and her mother?

Regardless of what the answer might be, it didn't help Chise's mother one bit, who had a complete mental breakdown and almost strangled Chise to death, before taking her own life via suicide.

Chise's iron-clad resolve to live on is still very admirable of her. She's not ready to forgive her mother just yet, and I don't really blame her for that, considering she did try to strangle her to death after all.

Next week's preview looks to be continuing this heavy drama path, looking at the state of certain characters shown. Looking forward to it. =)
Mar 11, 2018 10:52 AM

Jul 2015
MonoJuMal said:
I enjoyed this episode more than the last one. Chise looking into her past and being able to see things from a fresh perspective is a good thing for her healing. I'm glad she no longer wants to die. She said it before, but I believe it now.

She's probably going to go back to Elias, but I think they'll have a better relationship this way. It was incredibly shallow before, so now that Chise wants to live and no longer fears what may happen, I think she's going to go at this with new eyes (no pun intended). She won't just accept Elias, but try to help him understand things. Plus, while I don't think he's responsible for her family being torn apart, he may have information on her father. If her dad is a mage, then the other mages should know of him in some way or form. Even if he isn't alive, her brother must be. And if Elias doesn't know anything, he'll be able to help her find them.

Vivekananda said:

That was the most interesting part for me. He clearly has some mage like powers, since he was able to see the weasel and the other black monsters. I'm sure he left to protect his family as oppose to the narrative that he left because he got sick of things. But what he was running from or protecting them from remains a mystery.

I think that cat like thing was somehow connected to it.Maybe he was threatened to leave the house?

Mar 11, 2018 11:28 AM

Sep 2015
Someone tell me she is NOT gonna keep this UGLY eye?!?!

PLS!!!

Mar 11, 2018 11:39 AM

Jun 2017
shiro_kai said:

PLS!!!

We don't know, pretty much caught up with the manga >.<. I think it looks cool tho.
Mar 11, 2018 12:08 PM

Aug 2010
And we finally got to see the second kidnapped dragon. Glad the little one is still alive.
Mar 11, 2018 12:26 PM

Sep 2015
MomoSinX said:
shiro_kai said:

PLS!!!

We don't know, pretty much caught up with the manga >.<. I think it looks cool tho.

Yeah, the eyes of mass murder sociopath, a monster who killed thousand of innocent lives during centuries. PRETTY COOL.

Mar 11, 2018 12:30 PM

Jun 2016
Vivekananda said:
MonoJuMal said:

I think that cat like thing was somehow connected to it.Maybe he was threatened to leave the house?

That's definitely how it seems. I hope we learn more about Chise's father and brother now, because it seems like her family has even more secrets than before.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Mar 11, 2018 12:47 PM

Jul 2014
We've had glimpses of large parts of Chise's backstory up to now, but to see it all laid out exactly as it happened was gut-wrenching in the right way, especially the strangling and suicide scene. There's also the mystery of just why the father left, and then what happened to him after he left: as we saw, Chise's memories of him leaving end when the door closes, so she and, by extension, we have no way of knowing anything else about that. Then we've still got the issue of Cartaphilus, but that looks like it's reaching its conclusion very soon.
Mar 11, 2018 1:17 PM
Jul 2018
What a good episode! Chise's past was interesting to finally see, and I really liked the resolution she came to with her mom in the end.

I'd be interested to see if the do anything more with her dad later or if we're meant to interpret what he did for ourselves though. I got the impression that he just couldn't keep dealing with the yokai Chise and her mom attracted. He made a point of saying how Chise was just like her mom with her constitution (and her knack for drawing spirits to her) and how reassured he was that they were together all the time, and he left shortly after he saw that one spirit watching them from outside their window. I think that might've driven home the fact that even whatever protection magic he had wasn't strong enough to keep them away and left with Chise's baby brother to keep him safe even if he couldn't help the rest of them. Though just reading some of the other comments, that could be a part of something bigger too, yeah. We'll see. Either way, I'm looking forward to the next episode!
Mar 11, 2018 3:27 PM
Nov 2017
Seeing that Chise's family life was pretty happy really says a lot as she's felt that she has been cursed her whole life (her mum trying to kill her, her dad leaving etc). Was nice to see her get to see the good memories she had blocked off due to her trauma.

The whole Joseph thing is interesting.. Looks like he is really trying to find a way out of his curse/blessing. I wonder as to the reason that he was given it for his own good though hm.
Mar 11, 2018 3:27 PM

May 2015
Hey Chise, I've got an EYE for you! Huehuehue.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 11, 2018 4:44 PM

Aug 2012
It's Kotoura-san all over again...
Mar 12, 2018 2:22 AM

Jul 2012
Good episode and the chapter was very well adapted. They excluded some scenes with father fighting more and more monsters, that was pretty obvious but might've been aa bit better to see full picture. The first question after the chapter was why didn't they tried asking for help for example College (cause we saw them as the knowledgeable and quite powerful group) and it was clearly shown that father knew about the magic world.

So next time anime would be ahead of manga, feels like the ending is really close, but for this setting there's so much more room to keep going.
Mar 12, 2018 5:54 AM
Jan 2018
Ótimo episódio. Chise finalmente conseguiu vercer aquilo que a limitiva. Admito que chorei kkkk
Mar 12, 2018 7:32 AM

Oct 2008
Damn! I was engrossed by the whole episode and it felt like 5 minutes and I didn't expect that the ED music already started!
We have seen the very harsh despair environment of young king Chise! 1st her dad and little brother was lost and 2nd her mother trying to murder her by asphyxiation and finally 3rd mother go for suicide! That memories was very unforgiving!
Chise is now counteracting Cartaphylus! nice job! Chise's currently badass as of now!
This time, It's Chise's turn to see the truth of the past of Cartaphylus, if that happens, Carta's weakness would be Chise cuz she would know the truth of him.
5/5.
matias067Mar 12, 2018 7:38 AM

Mar 12, 2018 9:01 AM

Jul 2016
no anesthesia transplant Dx that gave creeps

Chise's past with her mother is kinds similar to kousei arima's past of your lie in april, and also with kaneki's past, will delve more on :re. Depressed characters really tend to suppressed their sad memories.
Mar 12, 2018 10:46 AM
Mar 2015
Glad Chise was able to let go of her mother and thank her for not killing her so she could meet new people

Now she has to face Joseph and handle him so that she can go back and put Elias back together
Mar 12, 2018 12:35 PM

Nov 2011
I loved the episode, because I never felt a moment of déjà vu and because there was an interesting growth of the character of Chise, at the same time she finally closes with her past. I'm even more curious to find out how this anime series will end.

Swagernator said:
But i also really want to see what happened to Dad and her brother, there must be a reason.

After that, I also want to know even more about their fate.

Tarotist said:
Well this sure reminds me of a certain episode in Jigoku Shoujo. However...

This scene describes well what was said to be true of the words spoken by Marco Tullio Cicero in his famous proverb: "Aegroto dum anima est, spes esse dicitur".
Mar 12, 2018 12:52 PM

Nov 2008
this sure was a pretty interesting episode, kind of had me getting a little emotional at some points for chise.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.