Forum Settings
Forums

Why women watch anime? Aren't they repulsed by being costantly reduced to objects?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 4, 2018 6:49 AM
Sep 2017
KouhaiHasNoticed said:
Valiaaant said:

It still does even if in minor quantity, tho.

Okay, let's do a thing: out of all the shows of winter 2018, which ones do not have any of that stuff in any quantity, way shape or form?

"Lemme show you pictures of ecchi animes while I spit y'all for watching these shows"

What's your point? Do you want to accuse and demonize men? Or do you want to get the opinion of women?

Yep, you got it right. That was exactly the point of this thread. It's time to grab your popcorn because @EcchiGodMamsterP
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Mar 4, 2018 6:51 AM

Mar 2018
Aquamirror: Male
Menzo: Male
Swagernator: Male
senpaiazula: Non-Binary
Ironclad_Cobra: Male
ZSTGL_IMA: Male
Deknijff: Male
EcchiKnightDarek: Male
UkePaChan: Female
SomeMoron: Male
sashaanjo: Female
Bobby2Hands: Male
jwinter01: unknown
oryouohagi: Male
zodd0: Male
Knightmare_YK: unknown
romagia: Male
Monster: Male
ItsXolo: Male
Manaban: Male
Akira_18: unknown (says to be a girl, benefit of the doubt)

Number of males getting on the defensive and speaking for the female fans: 15 out of 21

Let the numbers speak for themselves here.
Mar 4, 2018 6:53 AM

Nov 2016
I don't really care. I don't really watch anime that have fan service specifically for men. However, I do like ecchi manga but they are more of a romance before anything else.

And just because someone is showing their tits doesn't mean they are an object. I think you need to rethink your logic.
Mar 4, 2018 6:55 AM

Dec 2015
ItsXolo said:
can't wait to get a message in 3 weeks from one of the mods telling me thanks for reporting this thread and that it was deleted.

You can't report a legitimate thread just because you don't like it.
Now stop bragging about being a snide little dickhead who goes around reporting stuff.
Mar 4, 2018 6:58 AM

Mar 2015
I watch anime for the husbandos tho....

Also there's plenty of well written female characters. Maybe stop watching generic high school harems.
Mar 4, 2018 7:00 AM

Mar 2018
Of course, it's easy to see the good when you ignore the majority of bad!

Stop with this stupid argument, please, you can't just ignore everything
Mar 4, 2018 7:01 AM

Aug 2012
Valiaaant said:

Number of males getting on the defensive and speaking for the female fans: 15 out of 21

You're bringing up a discussion & get passively-aggressive towards people not agreeing with your point of view? Typical sjw.
Mar 4, 2018 7:02 AM

Oct 2007
You learn to ignore it unless it becomes too over the top, and then you simply don't watch it.

There are anime that sexualise men, but they are few and far between compared to anime that sexualise women. But these anime are best anime ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 4, 2018 7:03 AM

Feb 2016
Valiaaant said:

I'm actually female but preferred to list myself as male because of some very disturbing harassment in my early days here from a specific person and his friends I knew irl and it's generally safer to stay under the radar from creeps. Yeah, I know, just watch better anime and stop complaining.
Mar 4, 2018 7:03 AM

Mar 2018
@Monster Why people always bring up the "Eys-Jay-Doublew" boogeyman?
Mar 4, 2018 7:09 AM

Aug 2012
Valiaaant said:

Because that's how you present yourself, a social warrior of justice.
> Number of males getting on the defensive and speaking for the female fans: 15 out of 21
Didn't you speak for female fans, too? Contradictory right here.

Also, anime is not American produced with their social and political values. Unless you want to campaign in Japan about this issue, your faint effort by being condescending in forums won't get you very far.
Mar 4, 2018 7:10 AM
Sep 2016
Valiaaant said:
I've looked through a lot of profiles here and there seem to be many women, which is really surprising considering that Japan's sexist views reduce them to mere fanservice material in 90% of anime shows.

So, unless the "female" users are males who fake to be a girl to get attention like what happens in online games, i can't really explain how could any woman align with something that is mainly directed to straight males and leaves barely any space for them.

There are some good examples of female characters and shows done right when it comes to representation, but what about all the rest? It seems like anime is going backwards when it comes to catering to the female viewers, who sadly have to leave space for the overabundant male pandering.

Sadly, even tho the female characters are many and more tha the male ones by sheer numbers and get more screen time, they always become mere subjects of pantyshots and the clichè "oh my god i fell over you and grabbed your boob don't slap me" kind of gross objectification.

So, my question is: what makes women watch anime :/ ? i would be really glad if i got some insight by their part, i am doing a research/survey about this.

PS: i lost my old account but it didn't have many anime in the list anyway, so i made a new one since it's not that big of a loss.
Uh, well...are you aware that not all anime are ecchi harem, and there are those targeted toward girls?
Mar 4, 2018 7:11 AM
Aug 2016
I guess some women watch anime because they like anime? Idk fam, I do have lady friends who watch anime, but never actually brought up that kind of subject.

May 2017
Congrats on snagging these many people in your bait lmao.

Mar 2018
Monster said:
Valiaaant said:

> Number of males getting on the defensive and speaking for the female fans: 15 out of 21

Also, anime is not American produced with their social and political values. Unless you want to campaign in Japan about this issue, your faint effort by being condescending in forums won't get you very far.

Why people always bring up America? I'm from the UK.
Mar 4, 2018 7:12 AM

May 2017
Valiaaant said:
Monster said:

I think he was referring to the general West but ok sure
Mar 4, 2018 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
ItsXolo said:
can't wait to get a message in 3 weeks from one of the mods telling me thanks for reporting this thread and that it was deleted.

You can't report a legitimate thread just because you don't like it.
Now stop bragging about being a snide little dickhead who goes around reporting stuff.
There is two issues with that.

1) You very much can do that, it just will be denied.
2) This is not exactly a 'legitimate' thread.
Mar 4, 2018 7:14 AM

Mar 2018
@Based

Oh, this is the counter-argument i hate the most out of anyone else:

"I can't be racist because i have a black friend"

Or, generally know as "the friend argument", always used by horrible people.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Friend_argument
Mar 4, 2018 7:14 AM

Jun 2017
and it's funny to see how these users that came with these threads about how bad woman is treated in anime always ignore women , you'll always see a lot of women replying and these bitches never see that.

Mar 4, 2018 7:16 AM

Aug 2016
I’m a woman but I’m also gay so I guess I can’t add much to this conversation
Mar 4, 2018 7:19 AM
Aug 2016
Valiaaant said:
@Based

Uhhh, okay then. Maybe for you, I guess.
Mar 4, 2018 7:20 AM

May 2017
Valiaaant said:
@Based

>linking "rationalwiki.com"

It's pretty obvious that you're trying way too hard for attention, keep digging your hole of shame deeper and you might hit a new record.
Mar 4, 2018 7:22 AM
Sep 2017
Valiaaant said:
@Based

Lol but when you're entire thread is "How can black people be friends with white people when there is so much prevalent racism?"
then obviously its the kind of response you are going to get \ _(ツ)_/
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Mar 4, 2018 7:23 AM

Aug 2012
Valiaaant said:
Monster said:

Your bio says you're from California, mate. Anyways, I'm done as you didn't add anything to the conversation. Good talk
Mar 4, 2018 7:23 AM

Mar 2018
@Lex1979 Easily disproved, there is fanservice even in shows that do not have those two tags.

@Jare4lopez I'm not ignoring anyone, not even you.

@BaneofKermit And? it's the first result that you get if you search for an in-depth explanation of what it is on google.
Mar 4, 2018 7:25 AM
Feb 2014
You know? There's a very easy way to avoid anime that sexualizes women.....just steer clear of any anime tagged as ecchi, harem, anime that have all female or predominately female casts or are an isekai, as these type of anime are just otaku male pandering fantasies, so if you don't want excessive sexualization in your anime avoid those, that's what i do.

There's lots of good anime without sexualizing females and there's also good anime that have some ecchi, for example, i love Inu X Boku SS and Mawaru Penguindrum even though they had some ecchi, but they are such great anime that's it's very easy for me to overlook them!

I love watching shounen, even though some think it's only targeted to males that's not true at all! There's lots of things to love about shounen that appeals to both genders, such as endearing, lovable and great characters, themes of friendship, self sacrifice, never giving up and chasing after your dreams!

There's also, while admitedly not as many as their male counterparts, genres specifically targeted to women such as Shoujo, Josei and Reverse harems!

Also, all male or predominately male cast anime are very appealing to women, my favorite anime usually have a full or predominantely male cast.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 4, 2018 7:25 AM

Mar 2018
Monster said:
Valiaaant said:

Your bio says you're from California, mate. Anyways, I'm done as you didn't add anything to the conversation. Good talk

FROM the UK, but actually residing in California.
Mar 4, 2018 7:26 AM
Sep 2017
Hmmmm maybe you are correct @Valiaaant sjw, maybe anime DOES objectify women. So why don't you quit such a despicable medium?

Mar 2015
Valiaaant said:
@Lex1979 Easily disproved, there is fanservice even in shows that do not have those two tags.

So you're saying that every anime in existence has fanservice? lmao alright then

May 2017
Valiaaant said:
@BaneofKermit And? it's the first result that you get if you search for an in-depth explanation of what it is on google.

You're being extremely condescending, that's what. Not exactly helping your points go across.
Mar 4, 2018 7:29 AM

May 2015
Valiaaant said:
There are some good examples of female characters and shows done right when it comes to representation, but what about all the rest?

Ik it's mindblowing for you, but, they can basically avoid that type of anime you know
Also, while there's some anime like that there still isn't that much, the selection is still big even when excluding ecchi anime
Mar 4, 2018 7:31 AM

May 2017
Valiaaant said:

No not really lmao.

3-gatsu no lion, no fanservice
Nichijou
Tatami Galaxy
Tsuki ga Kirei
Ping Pong
Terror in Resonance

these are only a couple from the shows I've seen (which aren't very many btw)
Mar 4, 2018 7:32 AM
Sep 2017
And in response to your original question, "Why do women not feel repulsed by such a medium?" They just do not. They are good at identifying anime targeted towards only male audiences (unlike you, apparently) and find that pros of the medium outweigh the cons.
Mar 4, 2018 7:34 AM

Mar 2017
On the off chance (give or take 0.001%) that OP isn't baiting:

Say, let's assume for a moment that anime is 90% sexual fanservice. And what about the 10% then? Because it doesn't matter if women watch the 90% or the 10%, they're still watching anime.

You seem to be looking for people boycotting anime as a whole out of principle rather than people ignoring certain anime and genre. The premise of this thread rests on the assumption that if people do not like certain aspects, they must boycott it entirely, rather than skirt those aspects.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Mar 4, 2018 7:35 AM

Mar 2018
@Knightmare_YK A fire in your house doesn't extinguishes by itself

@theray888 Name the ones that don't do from the list of shows airing this season, if you got some minutes, that would help more.

Mar 4, 2018 7:38 AM

Apr 2016
Valiaaant said:

Dude i dont get on the defensive and speak for the female fans, i get on the defensive and speak for the fujoshi fans.
Mar 4, 2018 7:39 AM

Mar 2018
@BaneofKermit Some of those ONLY SIX shows are from 2010, 2011 or 2014. I think that's funny considering the hundreds that come out every year.
Mar 4, 2018 7:41 AM
Sep 2017
Valiaaant said:

This is too deep for me, could you please explain your point using clear and concise statements countering my posts?
If not, don't bother.
Mar 4, 2018 7:44 AM

Dec 2015
But then, why do humans even watch (US) cinema to begin with?! They're constantly reduced to sex objects in most of those "art works".

Mar 4, 2018 7:45 AM

Feb 2016
Knightmare_YK said:
Valiaaant said:

This is too deep for me, could you please explain your point using clear and concise statements countering my posts?
If not, don't bother.

he is role playing a firefighter trying to extinguish someone's party bbq because he doesn't like meat
Mar 4, 2018 7:46 AM

Jun 2017
Valiaaant said:

@Jare4lopez I'm not ignoring anyone, not even you.

Yes you are , you're only replying to men , check all the replies , go and talk with women , if you're a Social Justice Bitch at least listen to women , you don't even care about this man , this is just another bait on MAL , another day , another bait , same shit all days.

Sep 2017
Valiaaant said:
@BaneofKermit Some of those ONLY SIX shows are from 2010, 2011 or 2014. I think that's funny considering the hundreds that come out every year.

Why not take a look at the 10 most popular anime on MAL? Fanservice score is 1/10 (SAO)

May 2017
Valiaaant said:

As I said, I haven't watched a lot of anime so I can't really give the most extensive coverage but my point stands, there are shows that don't have fanservice (and more importantly are usually better than most shows)

I'll name a couple from this season as far as I'm aware:

VE
3-gatsu Season 2
Pop Team Epic
Takagi San
A Place Further Than The Universe
Cardcaptor Sakura
Ito Junji
The recent season of Gintama
Gauken Babysitters
Hakumei to Mikochi
Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line
Osomatsu-San 2nd Season
All of the Cardgame shows and Beyblade
Mar 4, 2018 7:47 AM
Sep 2017
Aquamirror said:
Knightmare_YK said:

If not, don't bother.

he is role playing a fire fighter trying to extinguish someone's party bbq because he doesn't like meat

I legit laughed out at this. Hilarious
Mar 4, 2018 7:47 AM

Oct 2010
Valiaaant said:
I've looked through a lot of profiles here and there seem to be many women, which is really surprising considering that Japan's sexist views reduce them to mere fanservice material in 90% of anime shows.

I see that you corrected this percentage. Still a major miscalculation.

Reducing women to mere fanservice is something specific and almost exclusive of certain genres, we know very well which ones they are, and they are not even close to representing a majority, let alone this 90%. Female characters with agency and character growth and focus are not only extremely easy to find, they are actually easier to find for me than male counterparts. Maybe my point of view is skewed towards this due to the kind of anime I watch, but the numbers are there.

Valiaaant said:
So, unless the "female" users are males who fake to be a girl to get attention like what happens in online games, i can't really explain how could any woman align with something that is mainly directed to straight males and leaves barely any space for them.

Oh, the old "girls on the internet are all men". I think Futurama made a joke about this in 2001 or so.

I align myself with female characters pretty often and I'm not a woman so please, don't give me such petty reasons. Being "mainly directed to straight males" means nothing, if we can ever make this case.

Valiaaant said:
There are some good examples of female characters and shows done right when it comes to representation, but what about all the rest? It seems like anime is going backwards when it comes to catering to the female viewers, who sadly have to leave space for the overabundant male pandering.

Here is where you should give some evidence to not let this statement appear like it seems: heavily misinformed and inaccurate.

Valiaaant said:
Sadly, even tho the female characters are many and more tha the male ones by sheer numbers and get more screen time, they always become mere subjects of pantyshots and the clichè "oh my god i fell over you and grabbed your boob don't slap me" kind of gross objectification.

Checking my own anime list for a little while.

>582 entries
>15 watching
>18 on hold
>3 dropped

Number of times I've encountered "oh my god I fell over you and grabbed your boob don't slap me" --> 3-4 times at most. Two of them were blatant, actual ecchis. One of them was fucking Evangelion so you can probably guess how utterly irrelevant that scene was in the whole. I can't even figure out if there was a 4th one.

Fanservice and lingering shots in the anime I'm watching: DarliFra, the ending of Kokkoku and a couple little scenes from Takunomi. I guess.

Fanservice and lingering shots in the anime I've completed: almost non-existent. Maybe because I don't watch ecchi or hentai except for random curiosity from time to time.

Fanservice and lingering shots in the anime I've on-holded: the artsy fanservice of Bakemonogatari and I guess Chobits.

Fanservice and lingering shots in the anime I've dropped: Data not found.

Don't give me that shit please.

Valiaaant said:
So, my question is: what makes women watch anime :/ ? i would be really glad if i got some insight by their part, i am doing a research/survey about this.

>Just joined or created another account
>Didn't back up claims
>"Doing a research/survey about this"

Yeah... no.
Mar 4, 2018 7:48 AM

Mar 2018
Rei366 said:
They're constantly reduced to sex objects in most of those "art works".

But then why don't you see people complaning about movies? Can you make some examples of the horrible stuff that happens "so much" in US movies? I never saw any of that happening, it just doesn't happen in major or equal quantity as in anime.

Didn't see any in Star Wars, for example.
Mar 4, 2018 7:49 AM

May 2017
Knightmare_YK said:
Valiaaant said:

Why not take a look at the 10 most popular anime on MAL? Fanservice score is 1/10 (SAO)

Top 10 on MAL is a scam but it yeah most of the top 25ish is made up of shows that don't have any fanservice in them
Mar 4, 2018 7:49 AM

Jul 2008
I can't believe this thread is a thing xD
Mar 4, 2018 7:50 AM

May 2015
Valiaaant said:

@theray888 Name the ones that don't do from the list of shows airing this season, if you got some minutes, that would help more.

From the current season, alrighty
3-gatsu no lion,violet evergarden,karai jousu, poputepipikku, cardcaptor sakura, saiki kusuo wa psi nan, gakuen babysitters, gintama, from what i'm watching atleast
Mar 4, 2018 7:52 AM

May 2017
Valiaaant said:
Rei366 said:
They're constantly reduced to sex objects in most of those "art works".

But then why don't you see people complaning about movies? Can you make some examples of the horrible stuff that happens "so much" in US movies? I never saw any of that happening, it just doesn't happen in major or equal quantity as in anime.

Didn't see any in Star Wars, for example.

Have you actually watched Star Wars? There was a whole controversy around Slave Leia in Episode 6 and how George Lucas "objectified women."
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What seasonal anime had disappointed you over time this season?

Zakatsuki_ - 33 minutes ago

11 by Tuliharja »»
12 seconds ago

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows?

DesuMaiden - 9 hours ago

44 by SimplyBrazen »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you like anime about any sport or sports anime in general? ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Sep 20

50 by Taynix »»
7 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows ( 1 2 )

Treatise - Sep 19

57 by mo_lave »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » If all pirated sites were to shut down, would you be willing to pay for anime? ( 1 2 3 )

All_Knowing - Sep 7

149 by DreamingBeats »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.