Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Girls' Last Tour
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2017 12:42 AM

Apr 2015
Besides the horrible cgi, the episode was great. No idea on the source material, so really looking forward to where this goes.
Oct 7, 2017 2:30 AM

Nov 2016
Yuuri scared me asf
Oct 7, 2017 2:50 AM

Feb 2015
That was wonderful. Yes, Fall 2017 is going to be very good.

Oct 7, 2017 3:06 AM
Feb 2016
Absolutely adorable yet depressing at the same time. Definitely a candidate to being my anime of the season.
Oct 7, 2017 4:02 AM

Jun 2015
Do not trust the cute.
Do not trust the cute.
Do not trust the cute.
Oct 7, 2017 4:05 AM

Sep 2017
Oh boy, between this, Kino no Tabi and 3-Gatsu s2 I'm not going to be able to contain the feels ;_;

Very nice first episode by the way. I'm not a huge fan of it's moeblob style, but the music ambience and characters are quite well made. Also, it carries a nice anti-war message without shoving it in your face too much. Let's see how it plays out.
Oct 7, 2017 4:40 AM

Oct 2013
Nice post-apocalyptic + WW2 + SOL = compelling anime.

We got to see the Kettenkrad, a Type 97 Chi ha tank, K98 rifle, and a Browning machine gun.

The part when Yuuri aimed her rifle at Chito was a little intense.
Oct 7, 2017 5:14 AM

Jul 2015
Ah... one of my most anticipated series I've seen this season (and probably this year) and the first episode already met my expectations.

It's a simple and rather calming or relaxing, yet depressing feeling already. Very fitting for the setting.

And I totally thought that Yuu was serious enough to shoot Chi. Those are real guns, after all. I'd be scared so badly.

A beautiful episode and I absolutely loved the ending song. I will definitely keep my eyes on this one.
Oct 7, 2017 5:39 AM

Nov 2010
Oh wow, that was great
Oct 7, 2017 5:59 AM
Apr 2013
redtailrav said:

We got to see the Kettenkrad, a Type 97 Chi ha tank, K98 rifle, and a Browning machine gun.

Finally, someone who acknowledges WW2 weaponry. The attention to detail including the firing mechanism for K98 is astounding. The anime even has a Nazi Stahlhelm on one of the main girls which is pretty awesome. Do you know whats the plane depicted in the scene when they were able to secure some rations within its hull?

Not related, I thought they were wandering somewhere within a german city, my guess was Berlin. But when you pointed out the Type 97 Chi ha tank, I was like that doesnt make any sense. Correct me if I am wrong but the Nazis never use those Japanese tanks during WW2. Thats when I realised I made a wrong assumption that the place they are on right now is WW2 itself.
worldeditor11Oct 7, 2017 6:06 AM
Oct 7, 2017 6:11 AM

Dec 2014
worldeditor11 said:

Not related, I thought they were wandering somewhere within a german city, my guess was Berlin. But when you pointed out the Type 97 Chi ha tank, I was like that doesnt make any sense. Correct me if I am wrong but the Nazis never use those Japanese tanks during WW2. Thats when I realised I made a wrong assumption that the place they are on right now is WW2 itself.

I haven't read the manga, but considering the premise is that civilization is dead, it could be an alternate post WWII setting. The snow could represent a nuclear winter going on. So for japanese to be in Europe wouldn't be that weird to justify. Also the girls didn't know about chocolate, so this situation has been going on for a while. They could have traveled from Japan after the war.
Oct 7, 2017 6:18 AM
Apr 2013
Anathor said:

I haven't read the manga, but considering the premise is that civilization is dead, it could be an alternate post WWII setting. The snow could represent a nuclear winter going on. So for japanese to be in Europe wouldn't be that weird to justify. Also the girls didn't know about chocolate, so this situation has been going on for a while. They could have traveled from Japan after the war.

I havent read the manga either, hence my initial assumptions.

Wait, did the anime mentioned anything about the girls being Japanese? Either way, they could be from Japan but I doubt it since they need to travel a body of water just to get there. Or maybe, like you said, an alternate WW2 setting which is a bit of shame really considering how much detail they put into it.

Interesting note about the chocolate. I completely forgot about that part. It might be a hint to something. Hmm, I don't know.
Oct 7, 2017 6:46 AM

Dec 2014
worldeditor11 said:
Anathor said:

I havent read the manga either, hence my initial assumptions.

Wait, did the anime mentioned anything about the girls being Japanese? Either way, they could be from Japan but I doubt it since they need to travel a body of water just to get there. Or maybe, like you said, an alternate WW2 setting which is a bit of shame really considering how much detail they put into it.

Interesting note about the chocolate. I completely forgot about that part. It might be a hint to something. Hmm, I don't know.

The girls are called Yuuri and Chito, so definitely japanese. Japan had control over mainland Asia, so Japanese troops were already out of Japan, before w/e happened to the world. They showed the girls together with some soldiers, which gave them the tank; so when they were found they weren't part of the army. Japan somehow got in a war with Russia, I guess. Which resulted in the nuclear war that caused the "end", if there even was a nuclear war and it's not just normal russian winter. The landscape and industrial cities don't look like anything from China/Korea, so imo it's definitely west Russia/Europe. If we add the german guns that could have been left after german's attack on Russia, it does look plausible to be around that area.
The city doesn't have any recognizable elements, so probably just fictional.

Oct 7, 2017 7:09 AM

Mar 2017
I'm loving the contrast of Yuuri's happy-go-lucky attitude to the bleakness of this world.

With so many great moments within one episode, I can't wait for more.
Oct 7, 2017 7:27 AM
Jul 2017
This was a better Kino's Journey episode than the Kino's Journey one was. It was stark and bleak and quiet, but still had a sense of beauty despite the horror. I actually wasn't sure what was going to happen when Yuuri pulled the gun.

Still... it's a shame about the character designs.
Oct 7, 2017 8:51 AM

Dec 2016
Very cute; with a surprising setting! Was quite shocked when Yuuri pulled the gun on Chito, but I couldn't tell if they were SUPER serious or not. Looking forward to more and where there adventure brings them.
Oct 7, 2017 8:52 AM

Aug 2015
I kind of liked it. I hope there actually will be some sort of progression. I liked the music and the art.
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Oct 7, 2017 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
Is this now a thing? XD Back then I refused to watch Madoka, because I didn't like the mix of moe / (overly) cute and dark. Then, I was too attached to Made in Abyss and now, this is really a thing, huh?
And wow, blondie is batshit crazy? ôo
removed-userOct 7, 2017 10:25 AM
Oct 7, 2017 10:29 AM
Apr 2017
That "Last" in the title is truthfully intriguing. Are we going to get something grimdark?
Oct 7, 2017 10:44 AM

Aug 2016
The animation is quite peculiar, marked by the beauty of the backgrounds but mixed with a clear simplicity in the design of characters. Around the story, I'm intrigued, a world destroyed by wars where two girls look for real reasons to go on with their life.

It may be that we have in front of us a great work with a direct criticism of the wars that our planet has lived during its history with humans.

Good episode.
4/5

Oct 7, 2017 11:02 AM
Jul 2018
this was surprisingly great,loved every second of it

5/5
Oct 7, 2017 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
In Clannad, there were several scenes that took place in a post-apocalyptic world, with there only being a robot and a girl. It had an isolated, but bittersweet and magical tone.
This anime, is a replica, of that same tone.
And I f*cking, love it.
This is gonna be anime of the season.
It'll most likely at least be an 8/10
Oct 7, 2017 11:13 AM
Jul 2018
alexww180 said:
That "Last" in the title is truthfully intriguing. Are we going to get something grimdark?

Probably really melancholic, but not grimdark.
Oct 7, 2017 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
GoingInside said:
This was a better Kino's Journey episode than the Kino's Journey one was. It was stark and bleak and quiet, but still had a sense of beauty despite the horror. I actually wasn't sure what was going to happen when Yuuri pulled the gun.

I actually like the contrast between the cute designs and dark setting, because it fully encapsulates the dark lonely tone mixed with that simple optimism.
Oct 7, 2017 11:18 AM
Jun 2017
Anathor said:
worldeditor11 said:

Girls's Last Tour is not set within an alternative post WWII setting,rather a futuristic world.
A world where a vast,all encompassing world war took place a long time ago over dwindling resources and living space etc.

As far as those WWI & WWII weapons lying about there are also modern/contemporary weapon systems mixed in as well,an artistic choice.

What world this is set upon,that is unknown by the girls as well as readers/viewers.
Oct 7, 2017 11:29 AM
Jan 2014
You need to see this anime, man! buddy! you're going to like it, I'm reading this manga like one and a half years ago! I fell in love with story! and White Fox cared for this anime...

You can feel the love and the nostalgia, as well as the seinen in this precious and at the same time reflective trip

The Inori Minase voice for Chii-chan, this enchants, like the music that reminds you a little to the "New Age" style by ENYA! > //// <💙💙

Why this anime causes so much sweetness, and at the same time so much nostalgia and sadness...?

Will it be to see two little girls fight for food, or simply the fact of their brotherhood despite the pain of loneliness... or who try to understand our bad decisions as adults that affect them and hurt them...? Now more than ever, when nations are about to launch nuclear weapons at each other, it is time to reflect on such things, before it is too late.

OP and ED music... is sooooo beautiful... is a work of art... maybe the last work of art mankind. ;)

If this is really sung by Inori Minase and Yurika Kubo, it's really beautiful, and they made it fantastico! it's exciting and touched my heart! I think they will be the best Opening and Ending in this Fall Season 2017!

Please White Fox adapt this manga with precision! it isn't give fucking original end and that are really guided by the indications of Tsukumizu, and do not invent anything stupid. PLEAAAAE!! WHITE FOX!!
Oct 7, 2017 11:58 AM

Apr 2015
Whole episode felt like the intro to a Hollywood-but-not-quite-successful film. That's a compliment.

Mostly loved it. Looks and sounds gorgeous. Only-in-anime style too. Better than Kino for me.
Oct 7, 2017 12:14 PM

Aug 2014
Liked the presentation enough, but not sure if the content will keep me sufficiently interested for the entire season.
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 7, 2017 12:15 PM

Oct 2017
This was great. Really faithful to the manga and I loved every minute of it. This is not usually my genre in the slightest but after reading the manga I was hooked.

For those that don't like the character design, it is faithful to the manga as this is how they are drawn in it.

I will steal some others people words here but this entire show will revolve around cute girls doing cute things in a post-apocalyptic world. The gun scene is about as dark as it gets and Yuu wasn't serious in the slightest. She was just parodying what Chi said about war and food. It is not a dark show rather a melancholic and thought-provoking one. Each manga chapter was basically about something the girls noticed or questioned. I cant saying anything more than this obviously.

All told a great show and a pretty faithful adaptation but those expecting action you will not get it I'm afraid so if two girls who know very little about the world just driving aimlessly around in a Kettenrad doesn't interest you then you might as well drop it now. For everyone else, this will probably be the show of the season.
NylemOct 7, 2017 1:31 PM
Oct 7, 2017 12:53 PM

Sep 2016
this is just so boring to watch, I can't even survive 10 minutes of this
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 7, 2017 1:13 PM

Jun 2015
GangsterCat said:
this is just so boring to watch, I can't even survive 10 minutes of this

Agreed, though I did survive but was the most boring 20minutes from my day. Art is bad and basically nothing happened, this felt like some niche cartoon from Hollywood, I expect nothing.
Oct 7, 2017 1:19 PM

Apr 2012
Very strong first episode. The artwork and music are very beautiful. I also like the detail on the k98 rifle and the kattenkrad. I was like wtf when Yuuri pointed her rifle at Chito, but then I was like oh she's just joking xD
Oct 7, 2017 2:01 PM
Jul 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
GoingInside said:

I actually like the contrast between the cute designs and dark setting, because it fully encapsulates the dark lonely tone mixed with that simple optimism.

I get that. It's another parallel between this and Made in Abyss, since a big part of that show's schtick is the juxtaposition between the innocence of youth and the horrors of the abyss. I didn't care for that gimmick before, and I actually feel like it detracts from the decayed beauty of the scenery in this show.

Chi reaches a hand up to the stars; a young girl in a desolate world reaching for the beauty of the cosmos. The problem is the character is drawn in such a moe-blob style it makes it harder for me to enjoy or connect to on the aesthetic level.
Oct 7, 2017 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
GoingInside said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

I get that. It's another parallel between this and Made in Abyss, since a big part of that show's schtick is the juxtaposition between the innocence of youth and the horrors of the abyss. I didn't care for that gimmick before, and I actually feel like it detracts from the decayed beauty of the scenery in this show.

Chi reaches a hand up to the stars; a young girl in a desolate world reaching for the beauty of the cosmos. The problem is the character is drawn in such a moe-blob style it makes it harder for me to enjoy or connect to on the aesthetic level.

Would you have preferred if the character designs were less blob, but still innocent enough to contrast with the dark setting, without feeling too jarring?
Or would you have preferred it be like Texhnolyze, where the character designs perfectly match the dark aesthetic without contrast?
Oct 7, 2017 2:19 PM
Aug 2015
What is this?
Kino no tabi combined with madoka magika?
Haha sorry I Kanda got that feeling when I watched it
I must say I enjoyed it
Oct 7, 2017 3:04 PM

Dec 2014
Nordhammer said:

Girls's Last Tour is not set within an alternative post WWII setting,rather a futuristic world.
A world where a vast,all encompassing world war took place a long time ago over dwindling resources and living space etc.

As far as those WWI & WWII weapons lying about there are also modern/contemporary weapon systems mixed in as well,an artistic choice.

What world this is set upon,that is unknown by the girls as well as readers/viewers.

Got it, thanks. As usual I tend to read too much into things xD
Oct 7, 2017 3:12 PM

Jun 2013
When civilization appears to be dead, survival is one thing, but it can also prove difficult to find any kind of entertainment. I think this could be one of the main themes of this series. Like an exaggeration of Non Non Biyori. Appreciating the tiniest good things about life and all that. I almost hope that there's no overarching plot introduced later, like in a certain other show that also happens to be post apocalyptic CGDCT.

This first episode was pretty neat, but I wonder how the series will be able to stay fresh. Maybe we will learn more about the two girls' history, or maybe we'll visit some more unique locations every now and then. Since the brief flashback left things ambiguous, I'm left to wonder exactly how long the girls have been wandering these landscapes. The character designs are definitely an acquired taste, but the girls are animated with sufficient care, as one could expect from a JC Staff production.

The crisp presentation of the empty, cold and gritty industrial environment almost makes me wish I could explore it myself. The music is unconventional (though fitting), and I wonder what the OP and ED will be like, I'm not expecting "conventional" J-pop songs, but Made in Abyss had more cutesy OP and ED songs than we expected...
LeeTailorOct 7, 2017 3:48 PM
Oct 7, 2017 3:19 PM

Aug 2008
A really good post-apocalyptic anime with some elements of survival and war commentary. At last a show that feels fresh.

Really digging the contrast between backgrounds and the design of the two main characters. Cannot wait to see whether it's more of a slice of life anime or if it has an actual plot to it. I'm quite curious about the cause of the war and the extent of the world's destruction.

Also, the cinematography during the shooting scene was on point. Loved the animation on the rifle.
Oct 7, 2017 5:13 PM

Feb 2012
This was fucking terrible. The episode just dragged on and the pace of the interactions was executed so poorly. WTF White Fox!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2017 7:01 PM

Oct 2013
worldeditor11 said:
redtailrav said:

Finally, someone who acknowledges WW2 weaponry. The attention to detail including the firing mechanism for K98 is astounding. The anime even has a Nazi Stahlhelm on one of the main girls which is pretty awesome. Do you know whats the plane depicted in the scene when they were able to secure some rations within its hull?

I'm not sure what kind of plane that was and was wondering if anyone knew the type, or maybe the creators just made it up.

Yeah, a fictional WW2 universe similar to, but not the same as Sora no Woto, Strike Witches, etc.
Oct 7, 2017 8:03 PM

Dec 2016
This was pretty good.

Very tough environment for those kids, you have to be really strong to try and survive in a world like that.

If I was Chito I probably would have grabbed that gun and killed Yuuri, how in the world can you trust someone after they put a gun to your face and take the food like that.
Oct 7, 2017 8:41 PM

Feb 2013
No complaints so far. That was very pleasant.

But I'm wondering how they haven't run out of gas.
Oct 7, 2017 8:49 PM

May 2015
kickmesign said:
This was fucking terrible. The episode just dragged on and the pace of the interactions was executed so poorly. WTF White Fox!

GTFO man. Did we watch the same episode?

Oct 7, 2017 10:26 PM

Jul 2015
Okay cool, a post apocalyptic anime about two girls forever alone with a motorcycle and WHAT IS THAT ART STYLE... Its cute... and cheery... and happy... what are you gonna do, are you using cute characters to make me care more so you can rip my heart out later and WHAT WAS THAT FLASHBACK I KNEW IT. You're trying to kill me with feels now. I... have no idea where this is going BUT I LOOK FORWARD TO FINDING OUT WHILE PREPARING FOR THE WORST POSSIBLE OUTCOMES.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 7, 2017 11:19 PM
Oct 2007
AnimeFan500 said:
Getting Made in Abyss vibe. Hope nothing happens to them....omg she pointed her gun at her

That's what I thought as well just by looking at the promotional poster.

I was actually hoping for that to really happen but I was 90% sure that scene was just a fluke seeing how the first half pan out. Hopefully it gets more interesting soon!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2017 3:15 AM

Mar 2009
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
GoingInside said:

Would you have preferred if the character designs were less blob, but still innocent enough to contrast with the dark setting, without feeling too jarring?
Or would you have preferred it be like Texhnolyze, where the character designs perfectly match the dark aesthetic without contrast?

Speaking for myself, just a less moe-blob style would have been nice. Nothing as extreme as a gritty anime like Texhnolyze; it would have gone completely against the tone this show is going for if they did something like that. Otherwise, I've got no complaints. Great first episode.
Oct 8, 2017 3:24 AM

Oct 2008
This show looks promising!
considering it's from White Fox...I'm expecting a lot from them!
The OST is already glorious!
5/5.

Oct 8, 2017 3:41 AM

Sep 2008
The characters are kind of annoying.
Oct 8, 2017 4:14 AM
Apr 2017
That gun...
I thought they would die for each other since they are the only two alive... No reason to live alone rite?
But after that scene... Would they really kill each other out of hungry? It keep stuck in my head...
Oct 8, 2017 4:14 AM

Jan 2017
Loving the Made in Abyss & So Ra No Wo To vibes in it. Both are def favorite anime so i'll give this a go.

The episode was so gloomy, melancholic and that sort of creepy and awkward feeling of facing the void all alone.

Jeez, the moment Yuu pointed the gun to take the chocolate from Chi i was like this is it folks, this is the sinister turn lol

I am a sucker for both post-apocalyptic scenario & SOL series. So bring it on.

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2017

124 by ReganDesu »»
Yesterday, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2017

92 by ReganDesu »»
Yesterday, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

124 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 22, 6:22 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2017

128 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 17, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2017

142 by ReganDesu »»
Apr 12, 6:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.