Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 3, 2017 4:56 PM
Oct 2016
I've noticed that there is a very strong hate for it, and I don't really know why. For Example, I saw someone say, "Shokugeki No Souma is a Harem and is terrible." I just want to see for myself on this site, whether the hate is real or it's more or less than what I thought.

Note: I watch harem myself and as long as the anime is good I don't get why it should be scolded for being a Harem anime.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2017 4:59 PM

Apr 2016
I think because of
-cliche
-shitty mc
-best girl never wins
Apr 3, 2017 5:00 PM

Jun 2016
Because they're all not as good as Monogatari.

Monogatari has the harem genre on lock down.

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Apr 3, 2017 5:01 PM

Jul 2015
Because the best girl never win

Every harem with a tsundere ending must be burned in hell
Apr 3, 2017 5:09 PM

Jan 2014
tragedydesu said:

Also the Osananajimi (childhood friend lol) never wins

That's a fact~!
Cuteness > Everything else
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Apr 3, 2017 5:11 PM

Jan 2014
Because theres ppl that want to self insert in there and want the MC to stay with one of the secondary girls, but let's be sincere, that won't happen...

Nevah.
Cuteness > Everything else
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Apr 3, 2017 5:15 PM

Mar 2017
Because once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

It's the same slapstick humor, flat characters, over-reliance on external circumstances and temporary idiot balls for conflict and drama, and absolutely squat diddly character or story progression and investment.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Apr 3, 2017 5:15 PM
Jan 2017
People hate everything. Anime was a mistake.

Also, harem anime can become annoying when they keep having the same god damn description. Oh a guy in an all girl school or in a guy meet a group of women etc and they all fall in love with him because of generic stupid reason.

I mean my favorite manga is a harem, so is not like I hate harem, but it does get tiresome when you keep seeing similar premise with little innovation to them. I mean trap in another world anime should be way more generic at this point, but nope they try to be different and keep on trying new things. Even when they come off as generic, the effort is shown. In harem anime is easy to think most anime are like that and try nothing new.
Apr 3, 2017 5:18 PM

Jun 2008
Mokir said:

Well, I'd say Monogatari has the best harem MC with Koyomi.....and that's a good reason why it's been so successful.

But best Harem anime collection of girls and ecchi all around is definitely To Love Ru Darkness.

I'll give an Honorary mention to Prison School too.

Basically, finding a good Harem anime is rare....but when you do....they're REALLY good.
Apr 3, 2017 5:19 PM

Apr 2017
Because they're all pretty much the same thing, but with different settings. The first few you watch might be entertaining, but once you realize that you've been spending your time watching the same stuff happen over and over again, you come to dislike it

//unless it's the Monogatari series
Apr 3, 2017 5:20 PM

Jun 2016
JustALEX said:
Mokir said:

Well, I'd say Monogatari has the best harem MC with Koyomi.....and that's a good reason why it's been so successful.

But best Harem anime collection of girls and ecchi all around is definitely To Love Ru Darkness.

Are you talking down monogatari's girls?
The best selection of waifus ever to grace anime?

Apr 3, 2017 5:23 PM

Jun 2008
Mokir said:
JustALEX said:

Monogatari's girls are top notch....no doubt about it.

Monogatari is easily my #1 anime series of all time....it's the perfect blend of Comedy, ecchi, drama, action, and waifus.

BUT.....but, but, but...

TLR has the #GOAT, Mikan, Yami, Yui, and Nemesis.

Game Over son.
Apr 3, 2017 6:49 PM

Oct 2015
danilitoleon said:
tragedydesu said:

Also the Osananajimi (childhood friend lol) never wins

That's a fact~!

nisekoi man :^)
JustALEX said:
Mokir said:

Monogatari's girls are top notch....no doubt about it.

Monogatari is easily my #1 anime series of all time....it's the perfect blend of Comedy, ecchi, drama, action, and waifus.

BUT.....but, but, but...

Game Over son.

ew yui
tf no momo??????

Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 3, 2017 6:52 PM

Dec 2015
In most cases the MC is trash and the shittiest girl wins.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 3, 2017 7:03 PM

Oct 2016
Because Clannad is too good to be true.
Apr 3, 2017 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
plot development becomes shit with most harems (that doesn't mean all though ehem Monogatari is decent)
Apr 3, 2017 7:19 PM

Jan 2013
Because most are just cookie cutter one dimensional archetype characters

You guys should watch the Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki OVAs. Not the granddaddy of harem, but it sure did popularize it.
The creator for said series actually advances the plot, gives them a reason for falling for the MC, a backstory and a personality (shocking, I know).
CabronApr 3, 2017 7:24 PM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 3, 2017 7:20 PM

Jul 2010
Mokir said:

The funny thing about that is you're not wrong.
Apr 3, 2017 7:23 PM

Aug 2016
Nezperdian said:
Because people are jealous that they don't have a harem.
Maybe. And I figure that makes it easier to feel like the grills fall in love with one dude for no reason. And like they all fall into lazy, pandering archetypes, as they often do. I don't hate shows for being harems, but I do hate harems that are insultingly derivative.
Apr 3, 2017 7:26 PM

Sep 2012
Boring, predictable, annoying, terrible writing. Boring, predictable, annoying, terrible characters.

It's an obnoxious, tiring, beyond-cliche giant waste of time.

I can't tell if the people who author harems are genuinely stupid/terrible/untalented/guilty of plagiarism, or if they really really really don't give a fuck and somehow their garbage half-baked """""""""""stories""""""""""" get published.

Publishing standards in Japan are embarrassing.
Apr 3, 2017 7:26 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Maybe it's because it's not for them? We all have some genre that we don't like.
Apr 3, 2017 7:45 PM

Jun 2008
Scarlett_ryuken said:

JustALEX said:

Game Over son.

ew yui
tf no momo??????

Dude...c'mon....

Don't make me spell it out.
Apr 3, 2017 7:48 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
because for some reason people can't just ignore the dude and look at the girls, aka, the important part in every anime :D
Apr 3, 2017 8:10 PM
Dec 2014
-aochii- said:
Because they're all pretty much the same thing, but with different settings. The first few you watch might be entertaining, but once you realize that you've been spending your time watching the same stuff happen over and over again, you come to dislike it

I think that might be it. I enjoyed some of the first harem manga/anime I came across, namely Urusei Yatsura, Ranma ½, and Tenchi Muyo (though I note that two of those also had some actions). I didn't get that far in Ah My Goddess! but I recall enjoying it too. Thinking that I might have been into the genre I later got into Love Hina. At that point, I still enjoyed it, but I was starting to see the pattern, and from then onward, I've lost interest in the genre. That said, now that Ah My Goddess! is over, I might give it a shot for old time's sake. I reckon that in extreme moderation, and as long as it doesn't overuse the usual cliché, I could be okay with it.
Apr 3, 2017 8:15 PM

Jun 2015
Fuck that, why not just watch a good romance if you want best girl to win? I mean, there's only really one girl (sometimes a gay little love triangle, but it's cool) so you don't really need to fight over best bitch.
Apr 3, 2017 8:19 PM
Mar 2017
Red_Keys said:
Boring, predictable, annoying, terrible writing. Boring, predictable, annoying, terrible characters.

It's an obnoxious, tiring, beyond-cliche giant waste of time.

I can't tell if the people who author harems are genuinely stupid/terrible/untalented/guilty of plagiarism, or if they really really really don't give a fuck and somehow their garbage half-baked """""""""""stories""""""""""" get published.

Publishing standards in Japan are embarrassing.

Harem is a genre and nothing else.
Harem doesn't indicate the quality of the of writing or the characters.
You can only say it's cliche and that's it.
There's allot of good non-ecchi harem romance anime out there, I'll have you know.
One of them being the next anime I plan on watching which is Yamanda-kun to 7 nin no Majo.
Apr 3, 2017 8:30 PM

May 2016
Maybe I'm just weak, but I easily get attached to a lot of the characters in the Harem genre :3
Apr 3, 2017 8:37 PM
Feb 2017
shitty main characters
MC ends up with the retard most of the time
stupid plot
Apr 3, 2017 8:45 PM

Nov 2014
Lol... Because people think love com anime where MC chooses a girl are harem anime.
Harem Anime = Harem ending
People really need to go find real harem Animes​
Apr 3, 2017 8:54 PM

Mar 2016
I am one of those who hating harem.

Well, Because the idea of harem is stupid. Not that I hate stupid idea. Stupid idea can be good only if the anime is not serious. Harem can be good only if it's a heavily comedy focus anime. Not necessarily be good if I don't find it funny though. Most harem anime though, trying to be serious at some parts.
Kurniawan_KtrApr 3, 2017 9:01 PM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Apr 3, 2017 8:56 PM
Jun 2015
Harems are overly formulaic as a genre and it tend to be awful romances. The
characters, comedy and the story makes or breaks a harem anime and most struggle to do any of them well. The other problem is most of the characters are reactive rather than active characters. The main character always has a reactive personality in most harems; the ones that are active characters whether they are wimpy or bad ass are more interesting than most harem leads.
Apr 3, 2017 8:56 PM

Jun 2008
imeli said:
shitty main characters
stupid plot

This is by far my biggest problem with these complaints.

MOST harem anime do NOT have a real "plot"...

To demand a plot when the real objective of the anime is to provide fanservice and comedy is pretty ridiculous.

Every time I hear someone bitch and whine that harem anime have a stupid or bad "plot"....I always wonder why the fuck they're even bothering to watch it.

Seriously....it's like a person who dislikes giant robots to watch mecha and then complain about the giant robots.

Apr 3, 2017 9:02 PM
Feb 2017
JustALEX said:
imeli said:
shitty main characters
stupid plot

To demand a plot when the real objective of the anime is to provide fanservice and comedy is pretty ridiculous.

Every time I hear someone bitch and whine that harem anime have a stupid or bad "plot"....I always wonder why the fuck they're even bothering to watch it.

Seriously....it's like a person who dislikes giant robots to watch mecha and then complain about the giant robots.

Most stories and shows without a plot are shit.
Apr 3, 2017 9:03 PM
Oct 2016
JustALEX said:
imeli said:
shitty main characters
stupid plot

My thoughts exactly, all I ever hear is that all of it has a stupid "Plot" not any descriptions of anything at all.
Apr 3, 2017 9:13 PM

Jun 2013
B/c they will never have their own harem and it makes all salty inside.
Apr 3, 2017 9:16 PM

Jun 2016
KiraMustDie said:
Mokir said:

You talking shit about my favorite series? Me and my boy gabby will break both of your fucking thumbs and curb stomp you.

Apr 3, 2017 9:18 PM

Jun 2016
Harbur said:
I've noticed that there is a very strong hate for it, and I don't really know why. For Example, I saw someone say, "Shokugeki No Souma is a Harem and is terrible." I just want to see for myself on this site, whether the hate is real or it's more or less than what I thought.

Note: I watch harem myself and as long as the anime is good I don't get why it should be scolded for being a Harem anime.

Bad apples have diluted the genre and made it more misses than hits. The genre as a whole has failed to evolve its concepts for a very long time. The conceits of harems themselves have gotten so run into the ground that authors assume their readers take the entire conceit for granted, resulting in incredibly flat characters that are there merely to fill out a character type (the tsundere, the polite big-breasted nee-san, the loli, the kuudere), and the same BS carrying over from show to show. ("oh noes, Protag-kun is about to walk into the bath, here's hoping there's not a naked haremette in there covered with impossible amounts of steam!")
Apr 3, 2017 9:21 PM

Dec 2013
It's just a really generic and shallow genre for the most part. There are some exceptions, but they're nothing to write home about either. I guess part of the problem is there's really only so much you can do with the premise of a bunch of girls wanting the same guy's Johnson. Increase the amount of girls? Have them come from Space? Make them monster girls? Make them demons? Completely copy another previous popular harem anime? That's the one! It's just a genre that seems content on wallowing in mediocrity instead of actually fixing the problems that plague it.

Edit - Post above me said about the same thing lol.
Apr 3, 2017 9:30 PM
Mar 2017
LordAura said:
It's just a really generic and shallow genre for the most part. There are some exceptions, but they're nothing to write home about either. I guess part of the problem is there's really only so much you can do with the premise of a bunch of girls wanting the same guy's Johnson. Increase the amount of girls? Have them come from Space? Make them monster girls? Make them demons? Completely copy another previous popular harem anime? That's the one! It's just a genre that seems content on wallowing in mediocrity instead of actually fixing the problems that plague it.

Edit - Post above me said about the same thing lol.

Now, take out all the harem anime that is paired with the ecchi genre.
Harem just becomes another genre like yuri or yoai.
Again, Yamanda-kun to 7 nin no Majo, it's a harem romance and NOT an ecchi.
It has a 7.9 rating which is pretty decent for it's genre.
I plan on watching it after Chuunibyou.
Apr 3, 2017 9:32 PM

Jul 2010
Mokir said:
KiraMustDie said:

You talking shit about my favorite series? Me and my boy gabby will break both of your fucking thumbs and curb stomp you.
What? I love the series. I haven't been caught up with the series though due to being on anime hiatus for a while.
Apr 3, 2017 9:33 PM

Jun 2016
Mokir said:
KiraMustDie said:

I can't tell if you're joking. You're aware that KiraMustDie is agreeing with you, right?
Apr 3, 2017 9:39 PM
Jul 2018
Harems often are adapted or written badly. So often do reverse harems tend to be. Some of them exist solely as sellouts to pander to those who'll buy the original source material, whether it be a game or novel, some of them pander to the lowest common denominator in general using cheap and tawdry fanservice without a decent plot, etc. There are some 'fanservicey harem' like anime that work (helloooo Monogatari series, technically!) but they're fewer and further between all the generally sucky ones.

Also most harem protagonists tend to be dull as dishwater, bordering on self insertion. Even if that's the intention that's not who I really want to identify with.
Apr 3, 2017 9:51 PM

Jun 2016
KiraMustDie said:
Mokir said:

What? I love the series. I haven't been caught up with the series though due to being on anime hiatus for a while.

Oopsie daisy, didnt see the "not"

Silly me

Apr 3, 2017 9:54 PM
May 2015
All the girls fall in love with Main character-san way too easy. Guy bashing, over dramatic scenes, complications,stupid misunderstandings, damn tsundere, more girls put of nowhere, undeciveness, jealously, valentines day, hidden feelings, wimps, girls crying, main characters-san thinking everything is normal. EVERYTHING. cringe cringe and cringe.
jeikobu11Apr 3, 2017 9:59 PM
Apr 3, 2017 9:58 PM

Jun 2015
I think it is because many of them just follow the same mould and Gary Stu protagonists.
:)
Apr 4, 2017 12:18 AM

Apr 2011
From my experience, most people don't like Harem because it's usually tagged with Ecchi, which a lot of people seem to hate. There's also how both of those genres don't really seem to do much different.

As for me, I like me some good harem. Unfortunately, they're few and far in between.
Apr 4, 2017 1:06 AM

Nov 2009
Turtles_Leader said:
@AyameTomoko well, you're defending the genre by saying it's only a genre, and some are good. I think we all agree on that, but still, your argument is biased. You can't deny the vast majority of harems are like most people here described, with flat character and uninspired story. a shitload of ecchi, etc. You can't say "hey, it's just a genre, remove 3/4 of it and you'll see it the majority is not like that". That doesn't work.

Well, every genre has its awesome shows and its uninspired shows. But you can only know that when you like the genre and have seen enough anime in the genre to make good comparisons.
Apr 4, 2017 2:30 AM

Jan 2009
i feel the need to kill myself everytime it ends with an harem ending
if mc picks a girl then it's fine, if not it's just wasted time
if only every harem anime was like shuffle...
Apr 4, 2017 2:37 AM

Feb 2013
danielamaghini said:
i feel the need to kill myself everytime it ends with an harem ending
if mc picks a girl then it's fine, if not it's just wasted time
if only every harem anime was like shuffle...
were do you find these mythical harem endings
Apr 4, 2017 2:44 AM
May 2015
Honeslty because most of it sucks and animation is cheap most of time since all of the money is going to the enhancement of the gravity defing boobies. The fact too when your looking for good quality anime that has a real story who's gonna turn to that. Other fact most of it is a waste of space. There are few good harems out there like Ouran and well High DxD is decent enough but for me as a female there is really no point watching people flaunting their tits abd asses. Oh and the fact in my opinion the harems towards female viewres are lowkey more horrendous. Who enjoys a mindless naive little girl who sutters every second as something to watch. I'd truly watch boobies overload rather. That shit makes me wanna smash something because it's so retarded.
In the end if I don't like it it's my own problem. What is the use of complaining about it. Anybody can watch and do whatever they want.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 hours ago

9 by tchitchouan »»
4 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
2 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
7 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.