Forum Settings
Forums

Do you have to enjoy an anime in order to acknowledge that it's good?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 20, 2017 7:54 PM

Dec 2016
Akira bored me as hell. Same Castle in the Sky. But nonetheless I still think those are good anime movies.

I really don't know how to explain it. But I give those as examples to answer that no...I don't have to enjoy something to recognise quality.
Mar 20, 2017 8:03 PM
Dec 2015
There is a difference between acknowledging what others might think is good and what I think is good. I can appreciate what others might enjoy about a show, but if those things fail to grab me than I can't call it "good." Apart from the fact that "good writing" and "good story" are completely subjective anyway and there isn't any scale for that, maybe you mean a well structured story with no plot holes or contrivances, and writing that is able to characterize the cast beyond just 1 personality trait apart from other things. However, even if a show does that, I can't call it good if the story failed to keep me engaged and/or the characters failed to get me invested for whatever reason, regardless of how well a show adheres to the few areas of storytelling that are objective (mainly the existence of certain things as opposed to our feelings about those things). That doesn't mean that others may feel differently and I can still recommend some shows I don't like to them (basically my entire relationship with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure).
Mar 21, 2017 12:22 PM

May 2015
Caassaac said:
If you see animation (or anime, or whatever) as an artistic medium... then no, it doesn't need to. Unless you think The Mona Lisa is shit just because it doesn't personally entertain you to glare at it.
If you see it as an entertainment medium... then yes, it does need it, for obvious reasons.

I think some anime are meant to be entertainment, some are meant to be art, and some are meant to be both (the majority, I guess?). So I use that logic.

Why do you think there is a 100% consensus that the Mona Lisa is good?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 21, 2017 3:53 PM
Jan 2015
Because it was engaging or meaningful to people and it was stolen and made by Da Vinci and blah blah blah. If that means it's "entertaining", fine. It's not really the point.
metamariMar 21, 2017 3:56 PM
Mar 21, 2017 4:21 PM

Sep 2015
I wouldn't necessarily say so, although it would certainly help. I'm of the belief that quality and enjoyment are not one and the same; the absence of one does not mean the absence of the other, and similarly the presence of one does not mean the presence of the other. If one attempts to be fair in their assessment of a story and tries to look beyond their own personal biases - as much as they could be reasonably expected to - then they'd be in far better position to analyse and critique it; they could look at the individual facets it's made up of and recognise where it did well and where it did not, rather than brushing the entire thing off because "it bored me".

But whilst having that in mind, I would posit that there's only so far the perceived quality can go if you didn't enjoy something; that is to say, whilst I won't immediately think something is terrible based on the premise that I didn't enjoy it (for whatever reasons), I would still never be able to call something excellent if I didn't enjoy it to some extent. I suppose my conclusion on a series would be along the lines of "It was good here, here and here but overall this was not for me."

It would be far easier to recognise something as being good or better when directly comparing it to other similar stories as this would mitigate personal bias and preferences somewhat. If we take someone who doesn't like Mahou Shoujo anime and made them watch 20 different Mahou Shoujo series, then they'd be able to rate and critique them all in a fair manner. Whilst going into each particular one with the same mindset - "I'm most likely not going to enjoy this" - they'll be able to acknowledge which ones had a higher perceived quality than the rest. They might be more able to recognise which Mahou Shoujo series are 'good' where specifically Mahou Shoujo series are concerned, even if their enjoyment of them is somewhat limited or even lacking altogether.

It's worth mentioning, though,that quite naturally if there is an absence of enjoyment then that could easily be due to the perceived quality. They may not be one and the same thing but they're obviously quite interlinked and connected. If a fictitious story hasn't managed to capture your interest and steal your attention, then even with preferences in mind a certain amount of blame must be laid on the story. No matter how stoicly one sticks to what they like, I believe that there's always going to be an exception to someone's rules. As much as they might despise all harem anime, there'll be that one which they manage to enjoy. As much as someone may spit with disgust at each seasonal CGDCT anime, there's going to be one which manages to surpass their expectations and find a way into their heart.

With that in mind, my point is thus : whilst the perceived quality may not be reliant on one's enjoyment, it is certainly limited by it; there is only so far you can agree with the positive merits of something without finding enjoyment in the story. If it hasn't managed to enthrall you, could you really call it great? I personally would hesitate to call anything 'good' if I didn't enjoy it to some degree - and even then, it would be in the context of "good where X series are concerned, but at that point it would be more apt to say "I found it to be better than I normally would think of X series" rather than just calling it 'good'.
I'm not particularly fond of calling things 'good' or 'bad' because they're far too reductionistic and somewhat vague. I tend to find it far more accurate to actually explain one's stance, or just change how you would explain your opinion. "I thought it was good but I didn't enjoy it " sounds, to me, a stranger way of phrasing it than "I didn't think it was bad but I didn't enjoy it". The former would usually automatically lead someone to presuming that you would enjoy something if you thought it was good.

TL;DR Reducing opinions to 'It wuz good but I didn't liek it" sucks and you shouldn't do it. "I can recognise its merits and believe it to be better than other series of a similar disposition but ultimately did not enjoy it" is far more accurate.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 21, 2017 9:42 PM
Jan 2017
I personally did not like My neighbored Totoro, but to say is horrible would be me ignoring it's strength and why people like it. I mean I still rate it below average (well 6 is technically not below average by MAL, but whatever). I hate Jo Jo ugly ass art, but I can't say is awful as I never managed to past one episode, I can say I hate the series, but to say is terrible would be a bit ignorant.
Mar 22, 2017 6:22 PM

Jun 2015
Of course not. Holding a state of objectivity and unbias is a crucially important value in rating art, music, and film. It's unfortunate how many people fail to realize this.

Let's put it this way: I don't like plots that revolve around romance. No exceptions. It is fundamentally unfair for me to therefore rate every romantic drama a 1 based purely on this personal bias. Hell, Soul Eater, my favorite anime of all time, is really only a 9 at best, and I think it's current average of 8.07 is deserved.
Mar 22, 2017 7:03 PM

Jul 2016
I don't enjoy things that aren't good. I don't even give most ecchi higher than a 6.
Mar 24, 2017 4:02 AM

May 2015
xXTenderTacosXx said:
Of course not. Holding a state of objectivity and unbias is a crucially important value in rating art, music, and film. It's unfortunate how many people fail to realize this.

Let's put it this way: I don't like plots that revolve around romance. No exceptions. It is fundamentally unfair for me to therefore rate every romantic drama a 1 based purely on this personal bias. Hell, Soul Eater, my favorite anime of all time, is really only a 9 at best, and I think it's current average of 8.07 is deserved.

Wait wait wait

How is 'value' an objective thing?
Mar 24, 2017 4:04 AM

Oct 2014
Of course not. For example, when I stick my fist up my ass, I enjoy it, but nobody acknowledges that.
Mar 24, 2017 4:21 AM

Oct 2016
If I got entertained, then it's good FOR ME.

I had some animes that was tagged as good but I still dropped it coz' I got bored. Best sample I guess is Mushishi.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Mar 24, 2017 6:16 AM

Jul 2013
What are you talking about? I didn't watch Initial D (the reason that I'm proud of having cable TV) or even Cowboy Bebop in some order to know that their good. I just saw them on TV, sat down and enjoy, that's it.
Mar 24, 2017 6:20 AM

Apr 2013
many of my favorite anime aren't 10/10
enjoyment is subjective, and people who rate souly based on their enjoyment are dumb
Mar 24, 2017 6:45 AM

Mar 2016
Usually I score a show good based on enjoyment but enjoyment itself means alot to me. I consider many factors as to why I am enjoying the show, music plays a major role to it. Good music makes the story even more intriguing for me. Also I am not fond of watching slice of life, yet I scored NHK a 10. So i do consider a good anime of any genre as good according to my liking.

After watching quite a few anime I can tell what is unique and what not, cliché dialogues and scenes kill the enjoyment factor. I watched AoT very late and thought it would be great anime but it was much like another generic shounen anime.
Mar 24, 2017 6:45 AM

Jul 2015
I didn't care for erased at all, but I thought it was a good anime.
Mar 25, 2017 12:53 AM

May 2015
Maz said:
I wouldn't necessarily say so, although it would certainly help. I'm of the belief that quality and enjoyment are not one and the same; the absence of one does not mean the absence of the other, and similarly the presence of one does not mean the presence of the other. If one attempts to be fair in their assessment of a story and tries to look beyond their own personal biases - as much as they could be reasonably expected to - then they'd be in far better position to analyse and critique it; they could look at the individual facets it's made up of and recognise where it did well and where it did not, rather than brushing the entire thing off because "it bored me".

But whilst having that in mind, I would posit that there's only so far the perceived quality can go if you didn't enjoy something; that is to say, whilst I won't immediately think something is terrible based on the premise that I didn't enjoy it (for whatever reasons), I would still never be able to call something excellent if I didn't enjoy it to some extent. I suppose my conclusion on a series would be along the lines of "It was good here, here and here but overall this was not for me."

It would be far easier to recognise something as being good or better when directly comparing it to other similar stories as this would mitigate personal bias and preferences somewhat. If we take someone who doesn't like Mahou Shoujo anime and made them watch 20 different Mahou Shoujo series, then they'd be able to rate and critique them all in a fair manner. Whilst going into each particular one with the same mindset - "I'm most likely not going to enjoy this" - they'll be able to acknowledge which ones had a higher perceived quality than the rest. They might be more able to recognise which Mahou Shoujo series are 'good' where specifically Mahou Shoujo series are concerned, even if their enjoyment of them is somewhat limited or even lacking altogether.

It's worth mentioning, though,that quite naturally if there is an absence of enjoyment then that could easily be due to the perceived quality. They may not be one and the same thing but they're obviously quite interlinked and connected. If a fictitious story hasn't managed to capture your interest and steal your attention, then even with preferences in mind a certain amount of blame must be laid on the story. No matter how stoicly one sticks to what they like, I believe that there's always going to be an exception to someone's rules. As much as they might despise all harem anime, there'll be that one which they manage to enjoy. As much as someone may spit with disgust at each seasonal CGDCT anime, there's going to be one which manages to surpass their expectations and find a way into their heart.

With that in mind, my point is thus : whilst the perceived quality may not be reliant on one's enjoyment, it is certainly limited by it; there is only so far you can agree with the positive merits of something without finding enjoyment in the story. If it hasn't managed to enthrall you, could you really call it great? I personally would hesitate to call anything 'good' if I didn't enjoy it to some degree - and even then, it would be in the context of "good where X series are concerned, but at that point it would be more apt to say "I found it to be better than I normally would think of X series" rather than just calling it 'good'.
I'm not particularly fond of calling things 'good' or 'bad' because they're far too reductionistic and somewhat vague. I tend to find it far more accurate to actually explain one's stance, or just change how you would explain your opinion. "I thought it was good but I didn't enjoy it " sounds, to me, a stranger way of phrasing it than "I didn't think it was bad but I didn't enjoy it". The former would usually automatically lead someone to presuming that you would enjoy something if you thought it was good.

TL;DR Reducing opinions to 'It wuz good but I didn't liek it" sucks and you shouldn't do it. "I can recognise its merits and believe it to be better than other series of a similar disposition but ultimately did not enjoy it" is far more accurate.

What do you mean by 'enjoyment'? I cannot separate quality from enjoyment, analysis from judgment. They happen constantly. I spot something good - unique art, surreal storytelling, good character development and I enjoy it. I notice an interesting symbol - I enjoy it.

Since you do admit there is a limit to how much 'good' can exist without 'enjoyment', how do you define 'enjoyment'?
Mar 25, 2017 6:46 AM

Oct 2016
I think it depends on the genre .
If its a comedy or slice of life anime / echie + harem anime , then I think that they need to be enjoyable to be called good.
But if it is a dark , mature , pyschological horror anime like Elfen Lied , then enjoyment or entertainment value doesn't count at all.
Mar 25, 2017 4:04 PM

Nov 2011
Manaban said:
I'm not going to shit the bed and say something I didn't like was "good." I'd be completely full of it if I acted like I thought that. If I thought it was good then I would've liked it.

On the contrary, I find it to be far more arrogant to act as if something can only be good if you enjoyed it. If not that, then I would presume one either lacks the ability to self-reflect or the vocabulary to express that self-reflection.

I will explain below.

Manaban said:
The only time that's usually applied is by people who can't explain themselves well enough as to why they didn't like a critically acclaimed anime, so they end up just ceding the point before they can get jumped on for saying they didn't like something that has had books' worth of praises of it written and reiterated into the ground, without having to give up their platform on it.

If I see it applied, I'm going to just dismiss it as a copout and nothing more, because that's all it is.

Your claim is false. To pick an exceptionally simple example, I thought Nichijou was boring. It's a well-acclaimed comedy in the community, but I rarely ever found it amusing. Yet, this is not because the jokes aren't fashioned well, but because the type and variety of comedy in Nichijou is not the sort of comedy that appeals to me or makes me laugh.

I recognize that the jokes and puns are well-fashioned and executed for the type of comedy they are, yet they still don't appeal to my specific taste in comedy. The way I-- and many, many others-- would express that is by saying that the show (comedy) is good but I didn't enjoy it ("it wasn't for me").

Doing the above isn't necessarily "evaluating against your own interests" either; it's not being dishonest with yourself or any other such nonsense. You can appreciate what you perceive to be quality (in the case of jokes/puns, things like good structure and timing) without necessarily "benefiting" from said quality in the form of enjoyment.

This also applies in much broader and more complicated scenarios, but comedy tends to be an easy example for the context of this discussion because there's less of a spectrum when it comes to enjoyment. Either it amused you or it didn't.
TripleSRankMar 25, 2017 4:15 PM
Mar 25, 2017 4:47 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
TripleSRank said:
Manaban said:
I'm not going to shit the bed and say something I didn't like was "good." I'd be completely full of it if I acted like I thought that. If I thought it was good then I would've liked it.

On the contrary, I find it to be far more arrogant to act as if something can only be good if you enjoyed it. If not that, then I would presume one either lacks the ability to self-reflect or the vocabulary to express that self-reflection.

I will explain below.

Manaban said:
The only time that's usually applied is by people who can't explain themselves well enough as to why they didn't like a critically acclaimed anime, so they end up just ceding the point before they can get jumped on for saying they didn't like something that has had books' worth of praises of it written and reiterated into the ground, without having to give up their platform on it.

If I see it applied, I'm going to just dismiss it as a copout and nothing more, because that's all it is.

Your claim is false. To pick an exceptionally simple example, I thought Nichijou was boring. It's a well-acclaimed comedy in the community, but I rarely ever found it amusing. Yet, this is not because the jokes aren't fashioned well, but because the type and variety of comedy in Nichijou is not the sort of comedy that appeals to me or makes me laugh.

I recognize that the jokes and puns are well-fashioned and executed for the type of comedy they are, yet they still don't appeal to myself specific taste in comedy. The way I-- and many, many others-- would express that is by saying that the show (comedy) is good but I didn't enjoy it ("it wasn't for me").

Doing the above isn't necessarily "evaluating against your own interests" either; it's not being dishonest with yourself or any other such nonsense. You can appreciate what you perceive to be quality (in the case of jokes/puns, things like good structure and timing) without necessarily "benefiting" from said quality in the form of enjoyment.

This also applies in much broader and more complicated scenarios, but comedy tends to be an easy example for the context of this discussion because there's less of a spectrum when it comes to enjoyment. Either it amused you or it didn't.

Mm, so basically the entire idea of this post is that there's a single - or possibly several, since I'm on MAL I always assume people will be more ready to argue semantics as opposed to points - way for something to be considered good, and if it falls into those concrete standards of quality, then it's something people should say is good regardless of whether or not they liked it. .

Your Nichijou example very heavily implies this; we have to say that it's "good" because it follows a set of comedic standards that the discussion is treating as the absolute good, but the issue with that it's that nothing real can come out of it because you're sucking all of the individuality out the opinion. The only perspective being gained from it is how something manages to entertain other people regardless of whether or not it followed these standards. Not about why they found it good or why they prioritize what in this kind of anime; you're trying to strongarm people into having to accept the idea that this anime is undeniably good because it follows these set parameters and treating the perspectives that can be shared in a discussion as a side dish that way in favor of something that should be considered unarguable and concrete.

And while I most definitely don't like or respect every opinion out there I see, I'd much rather have a lot of people I don't agree with yet setting their individual priorities while I set my own rather than everybody taking the exact same, bog standard approach of whether or not something should be called "good." Because of that I use the terms enjoyable and good interchangably - the idea of objective, factual standards of quality is completely counterproductive to gaining any new insight or outlooks from the people I talk to, making any discussion on why something is good or bad moot because it follows a set of standards I may or may not agree with.

A discussion board can be like a fighting tournament to me - I believe that, honestly, little substantial growth comes out of it, but it still can be interesting and fun to hear new insights and perspectives on things regardless. Or fun to challenge somebody else's preconception or to try and defend your own. Basically, I treat stuff like this like a game. I'm not going to be changing very much on a personal level with the viewpoints I hear from some avatar with a username attached. What can be interesting is the act of discussing why, though - why are things subjective, why is this good or bad, why is this behavior shitty, so on and so forth - it's like clashing swords in a way. The will sound cheesy, but the individual parameters somebody sets for what they want to get out of something is like their weapons and fighting style. Under absolute subjectivity where it's left to the individual to determine quality, then you can see a variety of different styles and attacks from the enemy. It can be an interesting duel, a hostile encounter, so on and so forth. It's fun to visualize things in this sense, and it's fun to figure out different methods and approaches to each individual discussion on quality.

But by thinking people should be forced to say that something is good or bad based on your Nichijou example is simply taking all of these different styles and approaches and trying to whittle it down to being a single approach that is correct and any other given approach can largely be considered irrelevant. You have to say "It's good because it follows these standards that clearly don't apply to me, but I didn't like it for [personal opinion.]" If you don't benefit from those standards, then why fucking follow them, y'know? By accepting absolutes in terms of quality and taking on standards that we don't agree with but treat as correct anyway, we don't see the new perspectives because we're never thinking outside of the box as to why we liked something and expanding and explaining on that - we just say "it's bad, but I enjoyed it anyway," or "It's good, but I didn't like it."

That sounds boring as hell and entirely counter-intuitive to actually gaining anything from a discussion. Let's just not let people figure out why they liked or disliked something themselves, and just cede that it's good because it's good by standards that obviously serve no purpose towards forwarding their goal of achieving whatever they hope to achieve by seeking out to entertain themselves in some way.

Perceived quality and enjoyment are interchangeable and should be treated as interchangeable, because setting individual parameters and figuring out what you like to see, what you don't like to see, and learning how to expand on these thoughts on what you like and dislike according to your individual priorities as a viewer are where the real gain is. Not some bogus notion of intellectualism and limiting things to a matter of rightthink and wrongthink by treating entertainment objectively and like there is a true good and true bad that can be applied to everybody. And even then, it still tries to mask itself up as subjective and tolerant to opposition by saying that it's okay for people to like something, but it's still bad according to this set of critical standards, as if that's the only kind of standard that can apply to any given viewer on whether or not they end up benefiting from that entertainment in some way. That's bullshit, and I won't even begin to entertain the notion of buying into something like that.
ManabanMar 25, 2017 5:00 PM

Mar 25, 2017 5:29 PM

Nov 2011
Manaban said:
TripleSRank said:

I will explain below.

I recognize that the jokes and puns are well-fashioned and executed for the type of comedy they are, yet they still don't appeal to myself specific taste in comedy. The way I-- and many, many others-- would express that is by saying that the show (comedy) is good but I didn't enjoy it ("it wasn't for me").

Mm, so basically the entire idea of this post is that there's a single - or possibly several, since I'm on MAL I always assume people will be more ready to argue semantics as opposed to points - way for something to be considered good, and if it falls into those concrete standards of quality, then it's something people should say is good regardless of whether or not they liked it. .

Your Nichijou example very heavily implies this; we have to say that it's "good" because it follows a set of comedic standards that the discussion is treating as the absolute good, but the issue with that it's that nothing real can come out of it because you're sucking all of the individuality out the opinion. The only perspective being gained from it is how something manages to entertain other people regardless of whether or not it followed these standards. Not about why they found it good or why they prioritize what in this kind of anime; you're trying to strongarm people into having to accept the idea that this anime is undeniably good because it follows these set parameters and treating the perspectives that can be shared in a discussion as a side dish that way in favor of something that should be considered unarguable and concrete.

And while I most definitely don't like or respect every opinion out there I see, I'd much rather have a lot of people I don't agree with yet setting their individual priorities while I set my own rather than everybody taking the exact same, bog standard approach of whether or not something should be called "good." Because of that I use the terms enjoyable and good interchangably - the idea of objective, factual standards of quality is completely counterproductive to gaining any new insight or outlooks from the people I talk to, making any discussion on why something is good or bad moot because it follows a set of standards I may or may not agree with.

A discussion board can be like a fighting tournament to me - I believe that, honestly, little substantial growth comes out of it, but it still can be interesting and fun to hear new insights and perspectives on things regardless. Or fun to challenge somebody else's preconception or to try and defend your own. Basically, I treat stuff like this like a game. I'm not going to be changing very much on a personal level with the viewpoints I hear from some avatar with a username attached. What can be interesting is the act of discussing why, though - why are things subjective, why is this good or bad, why is this behavior shitty, so on and so forth - it's like clashing swords in a way. The will sound cheesy, but the individual parameters somebody sets for what they want to get out of something is like their weapons and fighting style. Under absolute subjectivity where it's left to the individual to determine quality, then you can see a variety of different styles and attacks from the enemy. It can be an interesting duel, a hostile encounter, so on and so forth. It's fun to visualize things in this sense, and it's fun to figure out different methods and approaches to each individual discussion on quality.

But by thinking people should be forced to say that something is good or bad based on your Nichijou example is simply taking all of these different styles and approaches and trying to whittle it down to being a single approach that is correct and any other given approach can largely be considered irrelevant. You have to say "It's good because it follows these standards that clearly don't apply to me, but I didn't like it for [personal opinion.]" If you don't benefit from those standards, then why fucking follow them, y'know? By accepting absolutes in terms of quality and taking on standards that we don't agree with but treat as correct anyway, we don't see the new perspectives because we're never thinking outside of the box as to why we liked something and expanding and explaining on that - we just say "it's bad, but I enjoyed it anyway," or "It's good, but I didn't like it."

That sounds boring as hell and entirely counter-intuitive to actually gaining anything from a discussion. Let's just not let people figure out why they liked or disliked something themselves, and just cede that it's good because it's good by standards that obviously serve no purpose towards forwarding their goal of achieving whatever they hope to achieve by seeking out to entertain themselves in some way.

Perceived quality and enjoyment are interchangeable and should be treated as interchangeable, because setting individual parameters and figuring out what you like to see, what you don't like to see, and learning how to expand on these thoughts on what you like and dislike according to your individual priorities as a viewer are where the real gain is. Not some bogus notion of intellectualism and limiting things to a matter of rightthink and wrongthink by treating entertainment objectively and like there is a true good and true bad that can be applied to everybody. And even then, it still tries to mask itself up as subjective and tolerant to opposition by saying that it's okay for people to like something, but it's still bad according to this set of critical standards, as if that's the only kind of standard that can apply to any given viewer on whether or not they end up benefiting from that entertainment in some way. That's bullshit, and I won't even begin to entertain the notion of buying into something like that.

Since you like to visualize discussion as a battle with weapons, I will slay your wall of text with a relatively short and pointed response.

Where did I purport that my idea of quality is absolute? Why must my idea of good timing and structure in comedy coincide with that of others?

I never claimed that. You projected that onto me.

People can hold different values, obviously. Keep in mind that I never said that equating one's values with one's enjoyment is wrong-- simply that I generally find it shallow, unreflected, arrogant, or some combination of the three, and I do, and in actuality it is your strict adherance to enjoyment-quality equation that makes your discussions unlikely to mean anything to you, because in the end all that matters is the "what" (enjoyed or not enjoyed). My views are far more malleable because I am not so caught up in my emotions that I cannot appreciate things that may not appeal to me in an emotive sense.

Worded differently, I like it when jokes and puns are (according to my unique, individual worldview) well structured and well timed, even if I didn't directly gain amusement from it. I can talk about what I think makes them well-structured and well-timed without pretending it is some sort of fact, and others are free to argue against my logic, and it is still independent of my enjoyment/amusement with the joke or pun in question.

That is what makes for interesting discussion, the "whys" (the reasoning) rather than the "whats" (enjoy or fail to enjoy, appreciate or disregard).
TripleSRankMar 25, 2017 5:33 PM
Mar 25, 2017 5:35 PM

Mar 2017
Not at all. I can't stand Mushishi or Barakamon, but I acknowledge that they're both really good anime, in terms of both animation and plot.
Mar 25, 2017 5:36 PM
Aug 2015
John_2001 said:
I somewhat enjoyed Mirai Nikki because Yuno. I also enjoyed Attack on Titan because of those creepy titans. Both of these shows rely on shock factors which is a sign of bad story writing. However, I still enjoyed them.

So to answer you OP, no. If I am enjoying an anime it may be bad or good; it depends.

Don't most action thrillers rely on shock factor? Isn't that Game of Thrones main selling point and why it is so beloved?
Mar 25, 2017 5:38 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
TripleSRank said:
Manaban said:

Since you like to visualize discussion as a battle with weapons, I will slay your wall of text with a relatively short and pointed response.

Where did I purport that my idea of quality is absolute? Why must my idea of good timing and structure in comedy coincide with that of others?

People can hold different values, obviously. Keep in mind that I never said that equating one's values with one's enjoyment is wrong-- simply that I generally find it shallow, unreflected, arrogant, or some combination of the three, and I do, and in actuality it is your strict adherance to enjoyment-quality equation that makes your discussions unlikely to mean anything to you. My views are far more malleable because I am not so caught up in my emotions that I cannot appreciate things that may not appeal to me in a direct sense.

Worded differently, I like it when jokes and puns are (according to my unique, individual worldview) well structured and well timed, even if I didn't directly gain amusement from it. I can talk about what I think makes them well-structured and well-timed without pretending it is some sort of fact, and others are free to argue against my logic, and it is still independent of my enjoyment/amusement-with the joke or pun in question.

That is what makes for interesting discussion, the "whys" (the reasoning) rather than the "whats" (enjoy or fail to enjoy, appreciate or disregard).

Alright. So I'll keep my retort brief as well - if we're not talking in the myth of objective quality here, and the standards you're applying to something to determine whether it's good or bad don't benefit you in the sense of whether or not you actually like it, why are you applying them at all?

Rather than simply saying "I like it but it's bad" or "I dislike it but it's good," wouldn't figuring out how to expand on why you dislike it better suit your needs as a viewer?

Because simply saying something can be good or a bad by a set of standards that don't apply to you is basically saying that anything can be good or bad, because anything can be good or bad when the entire spectrum of possible opinions is brought into play. It's why I assumed you to be talking in absolutes - "I don't like it, but I can understand why it's good in this sense" is something that sounds more akin to somebody saying that they didn't like something yet everybody is right when they say it's good, rather than simply saying "I can see why people like it even though it doesn't appeal to me." Because when you whittle it down to that, anybody can like something according to any given set of standards that they ascribe to what they watch if you put forth the bare minimum amount of thought required into trying to understand the appeal of something. Most people who fail to understand the appeal of something often just haven't taken the first step in trying to. Still no point in discussing stuff in this sense.

little edit: I need to go to bed, it's late. If you respond to this, then I'm dropping this here so you'll know it'll take me a few hours to do so in turn.
ManabanMar 25, 2017 6:05 PM

Mar 25, 2017 6:33 PM

Mar 2017
On_the_Lam said:
John_2001 said:
I somewhat enjoyed Mirai Nikki because Yuno. I also enjoyed Attack on Titan because of those creepy titans. Both of these shows rely on shock factors which is a sign of bad story writing. However, I still enjoyed them.

So to answer you OP, no. If I am enjoying an anime it may be bad or good; it depends.

Don't most action thrillers rely on shock factor? Isn't that Game of Thrones main selling point and why it is so beloved?
I have not watched Game of Thrones but there can action thrillers with good story writing such as Monster, Perfect Blue, etc.
Mar 25, 2017 6:45 PM

Jul 2015
No, but if I dont enjoy something, I still dont watch it or I skip it.
Mar 25, 2017 6:50 PM

Oct 2016
No. In all honesty, my top 2 anime weren't as enjoyable for me as certain generic shounen shows but I recognise their quality writing and immaculate plot twists. The feeling of being mindblown when I reach the end is something that I can't get from normal anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2017 6:55 PM

Aug 2015
Yes. If i dont enjoy it, it's not good. I dont take anything like sound, art and stuff into consideration when i rate an anime. Enjoyment is the only factor i take into consideration when deciding whether an anime is good or not.
Mar 25, 2017 7:09 PM

Nov 2011
Manaban said:
TripleSRank said:

People can hold different values, obviously. Keep in mind that I never said that equating one's values with one's enjoyment is wrong-- simply that I generally find it shallow, unreflected, arrogant, or some combination of the three, and I do, and in actuality it is your strict adherance to enjoyment-quality equation that makes your discussions unlikely to mean anything to you. My views are far more malleable because I am not so caught up in my emotions that I cannot appreciate things that may not appeal to me in a direct sense.

Worded differently, I like it when jokes and puns are (according to my unique, individual worldview) well structured and well timed, even if I didn't directly gain amusement from it. I can talk about what I think makes them well-structured and well-timed without pretending it is some sort of fact, and others are free to argue against my logic, and it is still independent of my enjoyment/amusement-with the joke or pun in question.

Alright. So I'll keep my retort brief as well - if we're not talking in the myth of objective quality here, and the standards you're applying to something to determine whether it's good or bad don't benefit you in the sense of whether or not you actually like it, why are you applying them at all?

Rather than simply saying "I like it but it's bad" or "I dislike it but it's good," wouldn't figuring out how to expand on why you dislike it better suit your needs as a viewer?

Because simply saying something can be good or a bad by a set of standards that don't apply to you is basically saying that anything can be good or bad, because anything can be good or bad when the entire spectrum of possible opinions is brought into play. It's why I assumed you to be talking in absolutes - "I don't like it, but I can understand why it's good in this sense" is something that sounds more akin to somebody saying that they didn't like something yet everybody is right when they say it's good, rather than simply saying "I can see why people like it even though it doesn't appeal to me." Because when you whittle it down to that, anybody can like something according to any given set of standards that they ascribe to what they watch if you put forth the bare minimum amount of thought required into trying to understand the appeal of something. Most people who fail to understand the appeal of something often just haven't taken the first step in trying to. Still no point in discussing stuff in this sense.

Who said my values don't benefit me, or that I don't like my values? I like them very much. They're so cute and huggable.

More to the point, I do like jokes that are well timed and well structured. It's just more of an aesthetic appreciation than a direct emotional benefit. I'm not entirely sure how to explain the concept of "aesthetic appreciation" if you don't get that, though, at least not any better than I could explain why I enjoy something: Your question is analogous to asking "How can you enjoy something if you don't gain anything from it?"-- I do gain something, the enjoyment itself. Likewise, the aesthetic appreciation is itself the benefit. The best I could do is to describe it as a more mental, analytical appeal than an the more intuitive, emotional "enjoyment".

My very first post in this thread emphasized that my values belong to me rather than community consensus or others' standards. RahXephon is very well acclaimed in the community, yet according to my values I found it subpar. If they were not my values and I only cared if others thought it was good, why would I express disagreement? It's just that I don't see the mental, "aesthetic" appeal any more than I do the emotive appeal in that case.

I'll take it even further with another example, one which fits your description of "I don't like it, but I can understand why it's good in this sense": I fully understand the so-called "aesthetic appeal" of White Album 2, but I still completely disagree with that perspective and personally find it just as repulsive aesthetically as I do emotionally.

It's all an extra dimension of "liking" or "disliking" something. Unfortunately words are limiting when describing such a topic.

[edit] One other way I thought of to demonstrate the difference is that of themes or messages. I like it when a story tries to show or convince me of something, even if that isn't inherently enjoyable; reworded, I appreciate a convincing development of themes toward a point even if the show is "dry" in emotive appeal-- for me, something like Trigun would qualify. It wasn't "fun" in an enjoyment sense, but I still like and appreciate what the author did with the story. Thus you might say "aesthetic appeal" is in some ways analogous to "interestingness" or intellectual appeal. [/edit]

You're also wrong that there's no point in discussing stuff in this sense. First of all, aesthetic appeal and emotive appeal are not wholly disconnected. As I also expressed in my first post, a contradiction between the two is the exception rather than the norm. Finding an aesthetic way to appreciate something is often what opens the way to enjoy something emotively, even, and that's how I've managed to open myself to so many genres I would have never been able to otherwise.

For a specific example of this, when I first watched Five Centimeters Per Second I viewed it with the perspective that the message of the movie was that "sometimes, love fails". I didn't find the movie at all convincing in presenting such a message, so the experience became emotively tedious and lackluster. However, when discussing it extensively with tsudecimo some time later, after he came to fully understand my issues with movie, he suggested that I shift my perspective such that the movie isn't about love at all, but rather that love is merely the context for a narrative concerning the passage of time and the idea of possibilities. The perspective he explained seemed plausible to me, and thus the aesthetic, mental appeal is mended into something appreciable. Because of that, whenever I rewatch the movie I will probably be far more likely to emotively enjoy it than when I watched it the first time.

So, again, to open yourself to other perspectives you have to care more about the why than the what. If you do, you may gain something of worth, like I did in the above case.
TripleSRankMar 25, 2017 11:55 PM
Mar 25, 2017 8:48 PM

Dec 2013
I guess you don't have to enjoy an anime to say it's good but it's very rare that it's the case.An example for myself is Ghost in the Shell, I've never bothered to watch it and some of the things in the movie just don't appeal to me but I still consider it a good anime despite all of that.
Mar 25, 2017 11:33 PM

Aug 2016
Yeah, I think so. It doesn't make sense to speculate on why you think an anime is good if you didn't even like it.

Let someone who actually enjoyed it acknowledge that it is good, then pick a fight with them, and shit all over their opinion with the reasons you disliked the show. However, you may just end up acknowledging that your tastes differ, or something.
Mar 26, 2017 12:00 AM

Dec 2013
Yup, I have to enjoy the Anime to know if it's good or not.
Mar 26, 2017 12:03 AM

Mar 2014
Yes and no. I'll explain

Yes, i can enjoy an anime less than another one and score it higher ( I did that on MANY occasions ) Exemples of this would be this season's Shouwa Genroku S2, i would give a 7.5 or so to my enjoyment of the first season, but my overall score for it is at the top of my 8s. As for season 2, my enjoyment would be around 8.5-9 but i just scored it a 10 (9.5). The reason being, the story was almost perfect for what it is and had tons of twists towards the end and so on. I can see what is good about something even though my enjoyment is not as high as some other anime. Some other anime, like SAO S1 and Boku dake (ERASED) i enjoyed as much if not more than Shouwa Genroku, but that was all there was to it, enjoyment, both had average stories and bad characters. If i enjoy an anime it doesn't mean i will score it high, if the story and characters are crap than the score will be lower.
All that to say that enjoyment plays a role but that ultimately it won't make me score a great score if the story or characters are bad. Enjoyment plays around 10% of my scores.

No, i cannot give a high score to an anime i don't enjoy much, nevermind one i don't enjoy at all. Mainly because if a story is good, it will at least make me enjoy it a bit.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Mar 26, 2017 12:14 AM

Dec 2015
Some examples:
I got someone to put Oshii's Ghost in the Shell on tape for me to first watch it at the age of 10-11. I didn't enjoy it a bit (plus it gave me stomachache), but even at this point it was easy to see that it was a good movie.
A few years later, after a few rewatches and more watched (non-)animated stuff (like Oshii's other works), I could easily pinpoints what made it good despite still not liking it.
I can now give a few new reasons why I dislike it or why it is well made/build there is still this unknow (visceral?) dislike too, but I am not blind or ignorant enough to call this a bad movie.

More of this with The End of Evangelion (except I was 15for my first time)
More or less the same reactions with Akira (except that I ended liking it and that the almost 6year old me watched it first, on demand again).
Mar 26, 2017 12:45 AM

Aug 2016
To me, enjoyment is somewhat important. If I was better at analysis, I'd rely on enjoyment less when scoring, and focus more on the plot and characters.
Mar 26, 2017 12:52 AM

Feb 2017
I haven't really had this experience with an anime yet, although I've definitely had it with American films. Since I'm aiming to be a screenwriter, my dad makes me watch a ton of old classic films, and I usually don't enjoy them at all, but I still appreciate all the aspects that make them "good." If this thought process is possible for live-action films, it's certainly possible for anime.

"ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴇʀᴇ sᴇᴇɴ ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ɪɴsᴀɴᴇ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴏᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ."

Mar 26, 2017 1:04 AM

Feb 2017
Caassaac said:
If you see animation (or anime, or whatever) as an artistic medium... then no, it doesn't need to. Unless you think The Mona Lisa is shit just because it doesn't personally entertain you to glare at it.
If you see it as an entertainment medium... then yes, it does need it, for obvious reasons.

I think some anime are meant to be entertainment, some are meant to be art, and some are meant to be both (the majority, I guess?). So I use that logic.

That's exactly how I think of it, also. :)

"ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴇʀᴇ sᴇᴇɴ ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ɪɴsᴀɴᴇ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴏᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ."

Mar 26, 2017 2:59 AM
Aug 2015
John_2001 said:
On_the_Lam said:

I have not watched Game of Thrones but there can action thrillers with good story writing such as Monster, Perfect Blue, etc.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Perfect Blue doesn't rely on shock factor at all...
Mar 26, 2017 3:16 AM

Jun 2016
No, there's many Anime that is not that much enjoyable but is actually pretty good.
I am not a friend of justice. I am an enemy of evil.

STAPLE STABLE
Mar 26, 2017 4:10 AM

Mar 2017
On_the_Lam said:
John_2001 said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure Perfect Blue doesn't rely on shock factor at all...
It slowly builds up the deaths of the characters rather than just throwing them on the viewers by dwelling in the psychology of the characters.

Mirai Nikki, for example, randomly kills various character, splatters blood to emphasize gore and tries to change the tone of the story in an extremely unrealistic way.

I really didn't say that shock factor makes the whole show bad but repeatedly using it to get away with actually writing a thriller scene makes the show bad.
Mar 26, 2017 7:14 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
TripleSRank said:
Manaban said:

Who said my values don't benefit me, or that I don't like my values? I like them very much. They're so cute and huggable.

More to the point, I do like jokes that are well timed and well structured. It's just more of an aesthetic appreciation than a direct emotional benefit. I'm not entirely sure how to explain the concept of "aesthetic appreciation" if you don't get that, though, at least not any better than I could explain why I enjoy something: Your question is analogous to asking "How can you enjoy something if you don't gain anything from it?"-- I do gain something, the enjoyment itself. Likewise, the aesthetic appreciation is itself the benefit. The best I could do is to describe it as a more mental, analytical appeal than an the more intuitive, emotional "enjoyment".

My very first post in this thread emphasized that my values belong to me rather than community consensus or others' standards. RahXephon is very well acclaimed in the community, yet according to my values I found it subpar. If they were not my values and I only cared if others thought it was good, why would I express disagreement? It's just that I don't see the mental, "aesthetic" appeal any more than I do the emotive appeal in that case.

I'll take it even further with another example, one which fits your description of "I don't like it, but I can understand why it's good in this sense": I fully understand the so-called "aesthetic appeal" of White Album 2, but I still completely disagree with that perspective and personally find it just as repulsive aesthetically as I do emotionally.

It's all an extra dimension of "liking" or "disliking" something. Unfortunately words are limiting when describing such a topic.

[edit] One other way I thought of to demonstrate the difference is that of themes or messages. I like it when a story tries to show or convince me of something, even if that isn't inherently enjoyable; reworded, I appreciate a convincing development of themes toward a point even if the show is "dry" in emotive appeal-- for me, something like Trigun would qualify. It wasn't "fun" in an enjoyment sense, but I still like and appreciate what the author did with the story. Thus you might say "aesthetic appeal" is in some ways analogous to "interestingness" or intellectual appeal. [/edit]

You're also wrong that there's no point in discussing stuff in this sense. First of all, aesthetic appeal and emotive appeal are not wholly disconnected. As I also expressed in my first post, a contradiction between the two is the exception rather than the norm. Finding an aesthetic way to appreciate something is often what opens the way to enjoy something emotively, even, and that's how I've managed to open myself to so many genres I would have never been able to otherwise.

For a specific example of this, when I first watched Five Centimeters Per Second I viewed it with the perspective that the message of the movie was that "sometimes, love fails". I didn't find the movie at all convincing in presenting such a message, so the experience became emotively tedious and lackluster. However, when discussing it extensively with tsudecimo some time later, after he came to fully understand my issues with movie, he suggested that I shift my perspective such that the movie isn't about love at all, but rather that love is merely the context for a narrative concerning the passage of time and the idea of possibilities. The perspective he explained seemed plausible to me, and thus the aesthetic, mental appeal is mended into something appreciable. Because of that, whenever I rewatch the movie I will probably be far more likely to emotively enjoy it than when I watched it the first time.

So, again, to open yourself to other perspectives you have to care more about the why than the what. If you do, you may gain something of worth, like I did in the above case.

From my experience, opening myself up to other perspectives doesn't do anything nearly on the level of self-introspective. Which is the biggest reason why I tend to dismiss most discussions as fruitless endeavors in terms of gain or growth. Then again, if I found them to be entirely non-beneficial like you seem to do think I do, I wouldn't be here talking about this with you right now :V Of course, there are plenty that provide nothing whatsoever and so I just tend to avoid those.

It's poor form to use myself as an example, so I'll try to keep it brief - as early as a year ago, I was absolutely horrible at presenting myself in an argument. I'd get mad easily, my English wasn't the best, and I couldn't really ever expand on my points on why I thought something if I was trying to defend what I liked, which, given my tastes were circumstances I found myself in often.

If I ended up taking the route you're saying I should take , being keeping a set list of standards of bad or good and then separating entertainment and quality and determining each on a separate level, then I would've never really improved - I would just cede that it was bad by this group of standards and then said I enjoyed it anyway. I'd probably just apply it to whole genres instead of anything.

Instead of that, I went the route I'm promoting here - I figured out my own set of parameters and made them flexible. Instead of saying "Okay, yeah, this is bad but I liked it so meh," I pushed myself to figure out exactly what aspects of it I liked and disliked. I didn't settle for separating entertainment and quality, or the "whats," like you keep assuming I do, I went for the whys all the way. I just don't bother discussing them with most people because often times the people that I could end up having disagreements with tend to just have views too incompatible with my own to gain anything from it, since the core values we have in our stated priorities just tend to be too far removed from one another. There's no reason to challenge somebody's thoughts when it's just because of values dissonance, which is often the situation I find myself in.

I determined that the route where true gain is made is the one where you press yourself to figure out why you didn't enjoy it in spite of it being something you'd normally enjoy, instead of settling for something as vapid and unproductive as "it's good but I didn't like it." I'm still far from perfect at these internet debates, but from where I was at a year ago in terms of getting my point across, I've improved substantially just by recognizing the importance of self-introspective and working from there.

That's my core idea of subjectivity and remaining open-minded. Determining individual parameters and keeping them flexible - and to keep things flexible, you have to push at things by questioning why you didn't like it, not accepting that it was good but you just didn't enjoy it. Enjoyment and quality work best when treated as a singular entity for that reason.

Your idea is simply this:

TripleSRank said:

Worded differently, I like it when jokes and puns are (according to my unique, individual worldview) well structured and well timed, even if I didn't directly gain amusement from it. I can talk about what I think makes them well-structured and well-timed without pretending it is some sort of fact, and others are free to argue against my logic, and it is still independent of my enjoyment/amusement with the joke or pun in question.

Instead of pushing yourself to figure out why Nichijou didn't amuse you or work for you as intended in spite of doing things you'd normally consider good, you just accept it as good without really trying to figure out deeper on why it didn't work because it fell into your pre-determined parameters of quality. As you dismiss my take on the importance of individual priorities as arrogant and selfish or whatever it, I dismiss this as inflexible and narrow-minded.

The part that I have a real issue with past just banter, though, is that you're trying to paint your lack of desire to figure out why it didn't work in spite of doing things right at the core as the true means of seeking out intellectualism and growth. By separating the two instead of trying to figure out why it didn't work despite normally being something that would is just settling for stagnation - there is no growth or intellectual gain coming from not pushing or questioning yourself. Actual change and growth depends on individual introspective and personal values, not simply letting people question your ideals for you.
ManabanMar 26, 2017 7:27 AM

Mar 26, 2017 9:12 AM

Jun 2015
Would you highly rate something you found boring? Are there really people here who do this?
Mar 26, 2017 9:32 AM

Jul 2012
For me yes. If I don't enjoy watching it I'm probably gonna stop watching. Of course, if we are talking about animation or art style I can acknowledge this parameters as "good" even if I don't enjoy watching the anime, but if it bores me to death so yeah, I'm gonna think it is pretty bad. Bad for ME, of course.
...It is really subjective I guess XD

Mar 26, 2017 4:51 PM

Nov 2011
Manaban said:
TripleSRank said:

From my experience, opening myself up to other perspectives doesn't do anything nearly on the level of self-introspective. Which is the biggest reason why I tend to dismiss most discussions as fruitless endeavors in terms of gain or growth. Then again, if I found them to be entirely non-beneficial like you seem to do think I do, I wouldn't be here talking about this with you right now :V Of course, there are plenty that provide nothing whatsoever and so I just tend to avoid those.

It's poor form to use myself as an example, so I'll try to keep it brief - as early as a year ago, I was absolutely horrible at presenting myself in an argument. I'd get mad easily, my English wasn't the best, and I couldn't really ever expand on my points on why I thought something if I was trying to defend what I liked, which, given my tastes were circumstances I found myself in often.

If I ended up taking the route you're saying I should take , being keeping a set list of standards of bad or good and then separating entertainment and quality and determining each on a separate level, then I would've never really improved - I would just cede that it was bad by this group of standards and then said I enjoyed it anyway. I'd probably just apply it to whole genres instead of anything.

Instead of that, I went the route I'm promoting here - I figured out my own set of parameters and made them flexible. Instead of saying "Okay, yeah, this is bad but I liked it so meh," I pushed myself to figure out exactly what aspects of it I liked and disliked. I didn't settle for separating entertainment and quality, or the "whats," like you keep assuming I do, I went for the whys all the way. I just don't bother discussing them with most people because often times the people that I could end up having disagreements with tend to just have views too incompatible with my own to gain anything from it, since the core values we have in our stated priorities just tend to be too far removed from one another. There's no reason to challenge somebody's thoughts when it's just because of values dissonance, which is often the situation I find myself in.

I determined that the route where true gain is made is the one where you press yourself to figure out why you didn't enjoy it in spite of it being something you'd normally enjoy, instead of settling for something as vapid and unproductive as "it's good but I didn't like it." I'm still far from perfect at these internet debates, but from where I was at a year ago in terms of getting my point across, I've improved substantially just by recognizing the importance of self-introspective and working from there.

That's my core idea of subjectivity and remaining open-minded. Determining individual parameters and keeping them flexible - and to keep things flexible, you have to push at things by questioning why you didn't like it, not accepting that it was good but you just didn't enjoy it. Enjoyment and quality work best when treated as a singular entity for that reason.

Your idea is simply this:

TripleSRank said:

Instead of pushing yourself to figure out why Nichijou didn't amuse you or work for you as intended in spite of doing things you'd normally consider good, you just accept it as good without really trying to figure out deeper on why it didn't work because it fell into your pre-determined parameters of quality. As you dismiss my take on the importance of individual priorities as arrogant and selfish or whatever it, I dismiss this as inflexible and narrow-minded.

The part that I have a real issue with past just banter, though, is that you're trying to paint your lack of desire to figure out why it didn't work in spite of doing things right at the core as the true means of seeking out intellectualism and growth. By separating the two instead of trying to figure out why it didn't work despite normally being something that would is just settling for stagnation - there is no growth or intellectual gain coming from not pushing or questioning yourself. Actual change and growth depends on individual introspective and personal values, not simply letting people question your ideals for you.

You're starting to come off as being kinda dense. Literally every post you have made has strawmaned my position, projected things onto me that are false, and/or twisted my words into saying something I'm not. It's getting old.

Let's try this one more time, at least.

1. The reason I've been saying you are unlikely to gain anything from discussion is because you stop at your emotive perspective, when understanding your emotive perspective is only the first step. I've explored my emotive perspective extensively and I continue to do so to this day; your claims that I enter a state of stagnation because of a failure to examine why I do or don't enjoy something are thus completely false, but I'll come back to that later*. Regardless, I never suggested that you or anyone else adopt an arbitrary set of standards with which to evaluate by, yet you continue to either ignorantly or stubbornly try to say I am when I'm not. Rather, I have suggested that there are aspects of storytelling specifically and other manners of entertainment generally that are beyond the experience of emotive gratification, that these aspects are enriching in and of themselves, and that they can potentially open doors to emotive gratification in areas that may have been closed without said aspects. You obviously don't have to appreciate these aspects or even attempt to, and there's nothing inherently wrong in doing so, but I myself will generally not put as much stock in the opinions of those who have not attempted to when it comes to storytelling/entertainment because I find it shallow (lacking an entire dimension of perspective), unreflected (having, at best, stopped at the point of what determining what makes them enjoy or fail to enjoy it), or even potentially arrogant (demonstrating a complete inability to care about or appreciate factors semi-independent of the individual emotive experience**, such as author intent).

1a. As a brief aside, I likely wouldn't be having this conversation with you if I thought you were incapable of understanding what I'm saying. Otherwise my wording might be much more brief and pointed.

2. You gave a thought process of: "Okay, yeah, this is bad but I liked it so meh". This is not what I'm saying! This goes right back to what I explicitly stated is not true, that I'm being dishonest with myself or that I'm pretending to like something I don't. When I say I like something, I genuinely like it, full stop. That does not necessitate that I particularly enjoyed said something because the human experience is not limited to such emotions, yet you appear to be so wedded to your emotions that you fail to recognize that there are many ways to perceive, like, or appreciate something that does not necessarily require you to have an emotional high. If you are completely unwilling to consider such a possibility, please admit so rather than acting as if I am the party that is misconstruing the situation. Further, if you are unwilling to consider said possibility, I will add that there is likely nothing more than can come of this conversation because you have intentionally set yourself to fail to understand for whatever reason.

**3. At risk of sounding condescending (it is not my intention), perhaps it's possible you aren't that interested in the world around you? It could explain why you fail to grasp the "interestingness" and "aesthetic appeal" I speak of. There are many ways it can manifest, but it generally all comes back to caring about how things work and the way they are done. One might care about how all the various parts of a car engine come together to make the whole, how a math proof is shown to be true, how the lines in a drawing form the complete image, or how the movement of a mechanical watch is formed. It's an appreciation of a sort of beauty these things have, and from that interest and appreciation, certain perferences often arise, not related to "fun" or emotive pleasure, but of a more mental stimulation and gratification. I could describe a certain watch movement as being "elegant" or aesthetically pleasing, though that satisfaction is more mental in nature than emotive. I could then explain what I think makes the movement pleasing, but just like emotive satisfaction, everyone will have their own preferences.

When you then take that sort of appreciation into a visual or storytelling medium, I think it should be more clear how you could appreciate something, find it interesting, mentally stimulating, or "aesthetically pleasing" without necessarily being directly emotively pleasing. It's because emotive gratification is not the only type of way to "like" something.

Here's yet another way to think of it: speaking literally, some things smell good, and some things taste good. Most things that smell good also taste good, but sometimes things that smell horrible taste great, and sometimes things that smell great taste horrible. It's because the two senses are related but distinct. In the same way aesthetic appeal and emotive appeal are related but distinct ways of "liking" or "disliking" something.

*4. Coming back to my aside in point one and your specific example with Nichijou, I absolutely do examine why I do or don't enjoy something, including cases where I find something aesthetically pleasing (providing mental gratification) without finding it emotively pleasing (enjoyable, more specifically in this case-- funny). For me, it is because I generally only find exaggeration to be amusing when it is coupled with an ironic situation. From there I could demonstrate this difference by comparing the hallway chase scene in Nichijou to the hallway chase scene in KareKano, where the latter case had me having to stifle myself from bursting out with laughter, yet the former case only elicited a smile. And yet, despite these differences, although the latter case was more enjoyable, aesthetically, mentally speaking they were equally gratifying and appreciable to me. And I don't say this as a caveat because "some people may have thought the Nichijou scene was funny"; I say this with sincerity and of my own opinion, because there is an aesthetic element, an interestingness about the nature of gags that I appreciate equally between the two. Thus I genuinely believe they are both great gags, yet I found one to be very funny and the other to only be a little amusing. You could translate that into saying I liked the KareKano gag more than the Nichijou one, and that's absolutely true because it satisfied me equally in one sense and more in the other, but as far as "being a good gag" goes, looking at their parts and the "beauty" of those parts, I'd say they're equal. Yet I liked one more than the other.

And before you assume that by its nature comedy automatically lends itself less toward aesthetic beauty compared to emotional gratification (as it often does), it certainly can have an aesthetic appeal to it. It can become especially evident in the case of satire: I encountered such a case recently in Kino's Journey, where the irony of situation has an aesthetic appeal that makes you think moreso than it has an emotional "laugh out loud" nature to it, and I liked it very much despite not being traditionally "funny" at all.

Conclusion. On the contrary, I fully endorse and encourage one to explore the whys when one's values and taste conflict, as these are often rather unusual and interesting cases. The reason I portray taste or emotive appeal as the more "selfish" of the two is because of how difficult that is to share with others in a direct way, whereas values or aesthetic appeal is something that can be far more easily conveyed or "shared" with others who can appreciate that dimension of things and thus provides more opportunities when it comes to discussion.
TripleSRankMar 26, 2017 8:44 PM
Mar 26, 2017 5:48 PM

Jan 2016
Conclusion. On the contrary, I fully endorse and encourage one to explore the whys when one's values and taste conflict, as these are often rather unusual and interesting cases. The reason I portray taste or emotive appeal as the more "selfish" of the two is because of how difficult that is to share with others in a direct way, whereas values or aesthetic appeal is something that can be far more easily conveyed or "shared" with others who can appreciate that dimension of things and thus provides more opportunities when it comes to discussion.

@TripleSRank As someone who really doesn't really have a conflict between my taste and what I value... I see things like "aesthetic appeal" or values, as you call it, still as something to enjoy(taste or what you call "emotive" appeal) and if I didn't enjoy it, I can't appreciate it hence it's bad. If I enjoyed it, then it's good. It's simple, really.

Of course we can discuss the finer details of its "aesthetic appeal" but if I still can't see a single thing to enjoy from it... then yeah... I can't appreciate it. Hence, I can't concede that it's good...
(This is pretty much how I feel about Cowboy Bebop which I dropped after 8 episodes..)
ethotMar 26, 2017 5:53 PM
Mar 26, 2017 6:04 PM
Jun 2015
I disagree because art is not designed to just entertain its audience but also to think. One show can be really fun to watch but the other show where you dozed of a little in some scenes can be more worthwhile to watch than the former because you experienced something new and made you think about interesting things you never thought before.
Mar 26, 2017 6:12 PM

Nov 2011
Joven said:

@TripleSRank As someone who really doesn't really have a conflict between my taste and what I value... I see things like "aesthetic appeal" or values, as you call it, still as something to enjoy(taste or what you call "emotive" appeal) and if I didn't enjoy it, I can't appreciate it hence it's bad. If I enjoyed it, then it's good. It's simple, really.

Of course we can discuss the finer details of its "aesthetic appeal" but if I still can't see a single thing to enjoy from it... then yeah... I can't appreciate it. Hence, I can't concede that it's good...
(This is pretty much how I feel about Cowboy Bebop which I dropped after 8 episodes..)

Quick check, are you Capitalist? Gotta make sure to remember the new name if so.

Anyway, the point you're making seems to be more of a semantics issue than a direct disagreement. If you call any and all forms of liking something, mental or emotive, as "enjoyment", then my post will probably confuse you to no end. I'd say you're stretching the term too far, and you lose a lot of nuance and detail when you take to such an overly reductionistic way of describing your opinions, unfortunately.

Further, even if you are understanding me as I intended, I'd like to reiterate that there's nothing inherently wrong with favoring only the things that bring you direct emotive satisfaction. I dislike that approach, but it isn't "wrong".

15poundfish said:
I disagree because art is not designed to just entertain its audience but also to think. One show can be really fun to watch but the other show where you dozed of a little in some scenes can be more worthwhile to watch than the former because you experienced something new and made you think about interesting things you never thought before.

This another way of showing a difference between the two things I'm referring to when I speak of aesthetic appeal and emotive appeal @Manaban.

I value the above as well. If a story can get me to think about something in a different way, I'll praise it for that even it wasn't particularly "fun".
TripleSRankMar 26, 2017 6:18 PM
Mar 26, 2017 6:14 PM

Jun 2011
Maybe at least a little. If... I sat there, in misery the entire time because I hated everything except for art and animation and maybe the theme song.... the anime is shit. I probably couldn't acknowledge anything. If it is a simple plot twist or genre taste thing, then yes, I can acknowledge it is just me.

Like, I typically don't like mindless gore/violence anime. I kinda want to actually like the characters before you kill them off to try and get me to feel feelings for them. Example

I also really don't usually like it when characters die and then come back to life without good reason. Especially the end of a series. I am usually good if it is a kid show. But if you start selling to me that it is an edgy "adult" show... ummmm

But yeah enough of that nerd rage.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 26, 2017 6:20 PM

Jan 2016
TripleSRank said:
Joven said:

Quick check, are you Capitalist? Gotta make sure to remember the new name if so.

Anyway, the point you're making seems to be more of a semantics issue than a direct disagreement. If you call any and all forms of liking something, mental or emotive, as "enjoyment", then my post will probably confuse you to no end. You lose a lot of nuance and detail when you take to such an overly reductionistic way of describing your opinions, unfortunately.

Further, even if you are understanding me as I intended, I'd like to reiterate that there's nothing inherently wrong with favoring only the things that bring you direct emotive satisfaction. I dislike that approach, but it isn't "wrong".

Yeah... I'm CapitalistGod

No, it's not just a semantic issue... I don't really have a distinction with the two. The only time I can appreciate a show's "aesthetic appeal" is if I enjoyed it in an "emotive" level, and the only time I can I enjoy something in an "emotive" level is if I subconsciously or even consciously notice and appreciate a show's "aesthetic appeal".
Mar 26, 2017 6:29 PM

Nov 2011
Joven said:
TripleSRank said:

Anyway, the point you're making seems to be more of a semantics issue than a direct disagreement. If you call any and all forms of liking something, mental or emotive, as "enjoyment", then my post will probably confuse you to no end. You lose a lot of nuance and detail when you take to such an overly reductionistic way of describing your opinions, unfortunately.

Yeah... I'm CapitalistGod

No, it's not just a semantic issue... I don't really have a distinction with the two. The only time I can appreciate a show's "aesthetic appeal" is if I enjoyed it in an "emotive" level, and the only time I can I enjoy something in an "emotive" level is if I subconsciously or even consciously notice and appreciate a show's "aesthetic appeal".

So you're saying you think it's impossible for the two to contradict in your case, or just that you've never experienced it so far? That's a fine but noteworthy distinction, since I myself haven't experienced that many cases where they contradict. They have a tendency to align: If it tastes good, it usually smells good too, you know?

I also noted that finding a way to appreciate something aesthetically often opens the way to enjoy it emotively, such as in my Five Centimeters Per Second example.

Let's approach it this way with 15poundfish's example. If an anime managed to get you to think about a certain topic in a new way, do you think you would praise it for that even if it was otherwise boring?
Mar 26, 2017 6:34 PM

Jan 2016
@TripleSRank

Uhhh... If it made me think, I do still think it's good and it won't bore me. Most of my highly rated stuff is like that... Lain being the shining example. And yes, the chances of me finding something where they do contradict would be pretty much nil.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Can background characters be best girls?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

16 by Rinenka »»
2 seconds ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre?

decco6226 - 12 hours ago

47 by Daviljoe193 »»
1 minute ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - Apr 26

23 by Nurguburu »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - 27 minutes ago

5 by Lhundrup »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 42 minutes ago

9 by Rinenka »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.