Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 20, 2017 7:54 AM

Dec 2015
So Akko has to destroy the seven Horcruxes oops I mean find the seven Dragonballs or was it sing an upbeat song with the seven dwarves no wait, that's right, it was revive the seven words.
Mar 20, 2017 7:57 AM

Oct 2008
I really did enjoy this episode and the expansion of the lore. The Akko X Chariot dynamic is truly my favorite aspect of this show. Hopefully, they've thought this through and are not just making things up as they're going along. For instance, does Chariot actually plan on making Akko do something? Is that why she's been deliberately leading her on? Because with Akko's impulsive behavior, Chariot should really know better than to feed her little tidbits of information.

Does one only have to speak the words to revive them? Obviously not. Though it would be interesting to see what "reviving" the words actually entail. It's also interesting to see that each word seems to unlock a new weapon form for the Shiny Rod.

Also, is this something that the other teachers are aware of? For all intents and purposes, Chariot doesn't seem to be hiding any of this. However, from what we've seen in previous episodes, the teachers don't seem to know much of anything themselves as they have to consult books for almost everything. Also, I have to say that Chariot should really think twice about writing all of the school's secrets in her cards...

Is it just me or are the 9 hats all references to witches from other series? The super-obvious one was Bandora/Rita Repulsa's hat from Super Sentai/Power Rangers. Another looks like it belongs to DC's Scarlet Witch? It would be cool to see if anyone can place the others.
ActarMar 20, 2017 8:05 AM
Mar 20, 2017 7:59 AM
Apr 2012
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Kaetokiha said:

There are a bunch of other witches out there (their families and the teachers) and none of them saved their world. Someone needs to be the chosen one at some point or no one will ever be.

And that all invalidates the "work hard and you'll become the greatest magician" point. Whatever Akko does, she already find the Claiomh solais (chariot's magical wand) by fate and will "find" the missing words just "because". It's an achievement that Lotta, Sucy, Diana will never reach however hard they try and work.

Lotte and Sucy aren't seeking out this stuff. The Shiny Rod only appeared for Akko because of her passion. She also tried to use the rod to perform other magics but it didn't respond to her then. She had to work hard to be able to use magic consistently. It's not that Akko is a Chosen One, she's just one of the only ones who cares enough to be proactive. Akko has had to work for and seek out all of her accomplishments. She earned the rod, she practiced magic for months, she sought out the Blue Moon Abyss, and she passed the test set by professor Woodward.
Mar 20, 2017 8:11 AM
Jul 2009
Infatuate said:
I have a lot of doubts regarding the direction this is going to take, and if these plot holes I have in mind are deliberate (and will be explained eventually) or are just a blatant oversight from the writers.

Most of these questions are easily answered actually.

Infatuate said:
First off, the convenience. Diana is nothing more than a plot device in this episode used to explain the 9 witches or something. There's a lot of convenient situations in this episode, but they can be somewhat tolerated, moving on...

The way they setup Diana trying to info on the nine witches was cluncky and can be seen as convenience. But Diana isn't just a plot device. It's pretty obvious she's not gonna stay put now that she knows this stuff. She's gonna do something. We just don't know what yet.

Infatuate said:
The words. How does Akko 'revive' them, when its Ursula / Chariot the one who tells her what to say everytime? I guess nobody but Akko can do it? Or maybe they (the teachers) can but they're not supposed to? In that case, why would Ursula reveal the words to Akko in the first place?

Just knowing the Words doesn't mean shit. In order to revive them you need to feed the Shiny Rod with the right feelings. Note that both times Akko revived Words (episode 1 and episode 11), she was full of determination and hope. Knowing the words is meaningless if you don't have those feelings inside you.

Infatuate said:
Why does Akko own such an important and dangerous staff / rod without the teachers knowing or doing anything about it? Sure it's the Shiny Rod and all but it's obviously more important than that.

The teachers have no idea about the Shiny Rod. This is all ancient magic and Chariot knows about it probably because she encountered that Blue Moon spirit and was told all about it. Normally modern witches wouldn't know this ancient knowledge.

And it's not like they can read it in a book like Diana, because that book was sealed. It had a lock on it. The lock disappeared when Diana took the book, so it's obvious there's some supernatural force that wanted Diana to read it, but teachers probably had no access that book.

Infatuate said:
Do the teachers even know anything about Akko reviving these words? She supposedly revived the first word in the very first episode, but I guess no one but Ursula noticed it? Or Ursula didn't tell anyone? Akko almost got expelled at one point.

The teachers probably don't know about the Words and the sealed power to begin with. Again, this is ancient knowledge.

Infatuate said:
Guess it all boils down to whether these words can be revived by anyone (if in presence of the staff) or if only Akko can do it.

It's only Akko. You need the Rod to revive the Words, and the Rod chose Akko as its master. Ursula said so in episode 3.
Mar 20, 2017 8:16 AM
Jul 2009
Bugberry91 said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

And that all invalidates the "work hard and you'll become the greatest magician" point. Whatever Akko does, she already find the Claiomh solais (chariot's magical wand) by fate and will "find" the missing words just "because". It's an achievement that Lotta, Sucy, Diana will never reach however hard they try and work.

Lotte and Sucy aren't seeking out this stuff. The Shiny Rod only appeared for Akko because of her passion. She also tried to use the rod to perform other magics but it didn't respond to her then. She had to work hard to be able to use magic consistently. It's not that Akko is a Chosen One, she's just one of the only ones who cares enough to be proactive. Akko has had to work for and seek out all of her accomplishments. She earned the rod, she practiced magic for months, she sought out the Blue Moon Abyss, and she passed the test set by professor Woodward.

Why do people assume that being the chosen one means you don't have to work hard. That's not how it works. Usually the chosen one has to work harder than anyone else to make things happen. See Naruto for a pretty well known example. He wouldn't have accomplished anything if he didn't work as hard as he did. Being the chosen one is not a free ticket to success.

Akko is the chosen one. The fate of the magical world rests on her shoulders (even if she doesn't know it yet) because the Shiny Rod chose her. But she still has to work hard to succeed.
Mar 20, 2017 8:17 AM
Jan 2013
I've always liked every episode of this series. Definitely aots/y for me this far (its only march tho lel).
I've always liked how likable the character s are, especially akko, loved her so much. <3

She is the most cheerful, but trigger animation also played a role why she is so cuteee.

Oh about this episode, i always liked her from the start, but we also have diane. I guess things are getting more interesting, buy pls keep it heartwarming all the rest of the episodes.
Mar 20, 2017 8:40 AM

Feb 2014
So the main plot of the story has now shown itself to us viewers. After watching many enjoyable episodic adventures so far, this main plot is looking really interesting and exciting.

Akko made the right decision to keep hold of her past and work as hard as she is doing now to achieve her future dream. Just before the spirit disappeared though, there was some interesting visions in red that Akko saw that might appear in the future if she continues to unlock more of those spell words.

I'm also curious to know just how much about all this that Ursula/Chariot knows that she wants to keep secret from everyone else, including Akko, for now. With due time, I'm sure she'll explain more about what she only knows.

The Shiny Rod's true name is Claiomh Solais. Although it will help Akko to unlock more of the spells like in this episode, she still needs to work hard to become a better witch overall. She'll need help from her friends time to time in order to achieve her overall ambition.

Another thing to add is if Akko unlocks more of these spells, Where would that put the witch-hating Earl and his son Andrew? I'm sure that'll be answered soon enough.

Great episode overall. =)
Mar 20, 2017 8:51 AM
Sep 2012
So do you guys consider Ursula, Akko's 2nd mom even though as far as we know she has a mom and probably has a good relationship with her. I always believed even if you have a parent and a good relationship with them, you can have other parental figures, for example I don't care what anyone says I consider Piccolo, Gohan's 2nd father. Heck if you put some truth cerem om him, I think Gohan would say he is more closer to Piccolo than his own father.
blfanMar 20, 2017 9:17 AM
Mar 20, 2017 9:05 AM
Nov 2016
In the ED on the second to last frame, before the "see you tomorrow" of the song we can see 2 girls looking at a poster saying "luna nova samhain festival", maybe it's a hint to the next episode and maybe a hint that the s*** it going to hit the fan since Samhain is, according to wikipedia :p, "Samhain (pronounced /ˈsɑːwɪn/ SAH-win or /ˈsaʊ.ɪn/ SOW-in, Irish pronunciation: [sˠaunʲ]) is a Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter or the "darker half" of the year." In this case as the "darker half" of the series :p.
Mar 20, 2017 9:11 AM

May 2015
Infatuate said:
Finally, plot kicks in. If anything it's a little brash on its execution considering last episode was mostly SoL.

I have a lot of doubts regarding the direction this is going to take, and if these plot holes I have in mind are deliberate (and will be explained eventually) or are just a blatant oversight from the writers.

First off, the convenience. Diana is nothing more than a plot device in this episode used to explain the 9 witches or something. There's a lot of convenient situations in this episode, but they can be somewhat tolerated, moving on...

The words. How does Akko 'revive' them, when its Ursula / Chariot the one who tells her what to say everytime? I guess nobody but Akko can do it? Or maybe they (the teachers) can but they're not supposed to? In that case, why would Ursula reveal the words to Akko in the first place?

Why does Akko own such an important and dangerous staff / rod without the teachers knowing or doing anything about it? Sure it's the Shiny Rod and all but it's obviously more important than that.

Do the teachers even know anything about Akko reviving these words? She supposedly revived the first word in the very first episode, but I guess no one but Ursula noticed it? Or Ursula didn't tell anyone? Akko almost got expelled at one point lol.

Guess it all boils down to whether these words can be revived by anyone (if in presence of the staff) or if only Akko can do it. Whatever the case is, why would Ursula reveal these words to Akko? I doubt it's that easy to just say the incantations. Another (most likely) theory is that only Ursula knows about the words and about how important that staff really is, because she unlocked whatever is locked in the past, while the rest of the teachers are clueless about it. Still, it's somewhat baffling that Ursula is holding Akko's hand this much, when the latter should be figuring stuff out herself.

Anyways, glad the plot is moving.

Chariot couldnt do it, maybe she lost faith.
I think it's about passion and "believing" heart, not about bigger power or stronger wotch. Akko had lots of passion, sve believed, that's why she made it. That's why the Shiny Rod choose her
Mar 20, 2017 9:11 AM

Jan 2016
Gunderroge90 said:
Why does this anime have less than an 8 in myanimelist? Looks pretty moving and well-thought. Is it because of the slice-off-life thingie feel it has?

People probably expected it to take off right away without the "slice of life thingie" so that's why. Some people also dropped it but i'm sure it's score will pick up now when the "plot" has arrived
Mar 20, 2017 9:33 AM

Aug 2015
The rod is the key.
It "chose" Akko, in a way vaguely like the Ring chose its keeper in Lord of the RIngs. Claiomh Solais is the Sword of Light from Irish folktales.

Apparently it previously chose Shiny Chariot, but she didn't make the final cut and "lost" it. So Ursula knows at least the first steps along the path of being chosen, while the other witches do not. She is therefore the only one who can guide Akko.
But Akko cannot just become a duplicate of Shiny Chariot, or she will fail, too. So the guidance must remain subtle for now as Akko develops into her own witch.
Mar 20, 2017 9:43 AM

Apr 2016
1idd0kun said:
Bugberry91 said:

Why do people assume that being the chosen one means you don't have to work hard. That's not how it works. Usually the chosen one has to work harder than anyone else to make things happen.

To say the first word, she didn't do anything, she didn't "work", she didn't even know magic, it just came like that, "because".

Same to get the rod.

See Naruto for a pretty well known example. He wouldn't have accomplished anything if he didn't work as hard as he did. Being the chosen one is not a free ticket to success.

But it's a ticket you get without hard work, just "because".

Akko is the chosen one. The fate of the magical world rests on her shoulders (even if she doesn't know it yet) because the Shiny Rod chose her. But she still has to work hard to succeed.

Why? To say the second word it had once again nothing to do with her training. She became angry, went berserk without reason against an apparition and that was it.
Mar 20, 2017 9:47 AM
Sep 2012
Watching the episodes again, and no it wasn't the teachers that sent Diana to find out the 9 orges, she wanted to do that on her own, my guess she has her own mission, and I assume her family sent her on.
Mar 20, 2017 10:05 AM

Jun 2013
at last the plot fucking moves albeit for a short while but that was actually amazing
Mar 20, 2017 10:45 AM

Feb 2016
I knew that somehow Ursula had a Connection with Shiny Chariot, and after the latest episodes I was Almost Certain that she was Chariot until this episode that settles that she's Shiny Chariot!, plot is getting interesting right now
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 20, 2017 11:07 AM
Apr 2012
1idd0kun said:
Bugberry91 said:

Why do people assume that being the chosen one means you don't have to work hard. That's not how it works. Usually the chosen one has to work harder than anyone else to make things happen. See Naruto for a pretty well known example. He wouldn't have accomplished anything if he didn't work as hard as he did. Being the chosen one is not a free ticket to success.

Naruto had the Nine Tailed Fox put in him as a baby. While he had to work to improve, he was given tremendous power at birth. Akko had none of this. The rod on "chose" her because she had already proven through her determination to be worthy of the task. Harry Potter was also "chosen" at birth. Akko is only "chosen" in as much as people saw she had the passion that others lacked.

Your complaint was that, since Akko is "chosen", she doesn't have to try hard and no matter how hard Sucy, Lotte, and Diana work they won't become world saving witches. So far neither Sucy or Lotte are even trying to become anything like that. Sucy just wants to find poisons and Lotte just wants to get her license. Diana is already a highly skilled witch. While both Akko and Diana have obviously worked to get where they are, Diana is the one that forsook Chariot and what she represented and Akko is the one who has the necessary spark of passion that the Shiny Rod needed.
Mar 20, 2017 11:15 AM
Apr 2012
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
1idd0kun said:

Why do people assume that being the chosen one means you don't have to work hard. That's not how it works. Usually the chosen one has to work harder than anyone else to make things happen.

To say the first word, she didn't do anything, she didn't "work", she didn't even know magic, it just came like that, "because".

Same to get the rod.

See Naruto for a pretty well known example. He wouldn't have accomplished anything if he didn't work as hard as he did. Being the chosen one is not a free ticket to success.

But it's a ticket you get without hard work, just "because".

Why? To say the second word it had once again nothing to do with her training. She became angry, went berserk without reason against an apparition and that was it.

She didn't achieve these things with no work. For one, she knew the first words because she remembered them from Chariot's show. The rod didn't just appear to her for no reason, it only appeared when her determination and passion was at maximum, which is what the rod needed and it seems that Chariot lost. That passion for magic is the one thing Akko has that is lacking in just about everyone else. The trials and accomplishments with the Shiny Rod haven't been tests of magical ability, they've been tests of character and inner strength. She may still be weak in terms of magic, but these tests show her strength of character and willpower. She wasn't chosen "just because", she was chosen because she proved she has what it takes, she just needs to get better at magic, which we even see at the beginning of this episode. Besides, it's not like getting the Shiny Rod solved all her problems. She attempted to use it multiple times to no avail.
Mar 20, 2017 11:20 AM
Apr 2012
venancio_91 said:
In the ED on the second to last frame, before the "see you tomorrow" of the song we can see 2 girls looking at a poster saying "luna nova samhain festival", maybe it's a hint to the next episode and maybe a hint that the s*** it going to hit the fan since Samhain is, according to wikipedia :p, "Samhain (pronounced /ˈsɑːwɪn/ SAH-win or /ˈsaʊ.ɪn/ SOW-in, Irish pronunciation: [sˠaunʲ]) is a Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter or the "darker half" of the year." In this case as the "darker half" of the series :p.
While I'm sure things are going to get more serious, Samhain is basically Halloween, so I expect some crazy costumes.
Mar 20, 2017 11:58 AM
Sep 2012
A warning to Studio Trigger don't you dare try to do this crap, and that is even worse than if Akko never learns Shiny Chariot's identity, which would be worse is Akko's finds out Ursula is Chariot, and than she loses her memories of that. Don't you dare Studio Trigger, if Akko finds out the truth, that has to stick. Don't pull the troll crap I have seen other shows do. Most recently Trollhunters, when they did that I was so mad.
Mar 20, 2017 12:16 PM

Jan 2017
While episode 8 is still my favorite, this was probably the best episode so far in terms of story development. Considering this show's first cour is going to end soon, it was nice to see they gave us something more serious. I'm looking forward to seeing which direction this show goes in after this...
Mar 20, 2017 12:25 PM

Aug 2015
Lots of tie-backs to Episode 1 in this episode.

It sure looks to me like the giant cube-snake monster in about the fourth "red scene" (20:37) was the same monster that Chariot took out with Shiny Arc in the intro of Episode 1 (1:17).

Also, it was good to see Alcor again - the Shiny Rod only has seven stars from the Big Dipper, and Alcor is the eighth. Though how Akko didn't recognize him is a mystery. She's only been carrying around a stuffed toy of him since childhood…

Now we know that the Shiny Rod is Claiomh Solais or Sword of Light. In Episode 1 it turned into a bow, while in this episode it turned into a double-bladed axe. I'm betting that when we get the seventh word it literally turns into a sword. Before then I'm hoping for a spear and a sling and a harp.
Mar 20, 2017 1:00 PM

Aug 2013
Ohhhh damn I had a feeling from the very first episode that Ursula Sensei is Chariot, but then the subsequent episodes made me dismiss the idea until now.

Edit: Was wondering why no-one is talking about Ursula being Chariot but apparently it was revealed at the end of the first movie wth how did I miss that??
Mar 20, 2017 1:24 PM

Mar 2017
This episode kinda took me by surprise to be honest. This episode kinda lacked the relaxing comedy feeling the previous episodes had and finally went all serious and explained more about the plot for us.

And I was happy to see Ursula in this episode because she's one of my fav characters from this anime and I'd love to see more of her and see her support Akko.

It was a great episode, I always look forward to the new episodes ^^
Mar 20, 2017 2:08 PM
Apr 2012
ittou_shura said:
Ohhhh damn I had a feeling from the very first episode that Ursula Sensei is Chariot, but then the subsequent episodes made me dismiss the idea until now.

Edit: Was wondering why no-one is talking about Ursula being Chariot but apparently it was revealed at the end of the first movie wth how did I miss that??

It wasn't exactly "revealed" in the first movie, just overtly hinted at in pretty much the same way this series has so far, what with Ursula knowing a bunch about Chariot and the Shiny Rod, acting weird when Akko mentions her, and having hair that turns red.
Mar 20, 2017 2:18 PM

Jul 2016
Did I just see plot? I was already enjoying this slow show, now I'm loving it!

Since we're running the Artorius-ish plot-line, I'm guessing that betrayal will be a main element?

Mar 20, 2017 2:20 PM

Jan 2014
Gunderroge90 said:
Why does this anime have less than an 8 in myanimelist? Looks pretty moving and well-thought. Is it because of the slice-off-life thingie feel it has?

Because the first 10-ish episodes are repetitive.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Mar 20, 2017 2:53 PM
Jul 2011
Diminishing world magic confirmed.
Cataclysms caused by magic users confirmed.

Well, the "lady in red" resembles Diana...but also the principle when she was young.
Mar 20, 2017 3:03 PM

Jun 2016
Pretty amazing episode, I like when it gets serious.
Mar 20, 2017 3:35 PM
Sep 2012
If Diana becomes possessed by the villain, let's hope they follow Sailor Moon when a kid gets possessed by evil, they gain an adult form. There is no doubt Diana she is gorgeous beautiful for a young person, but imagine her as an adult, and add in evil to it, holly crap, that would be awesome to look at.
Mar 20, 2017 3:42 PM
Jul 2015
Looking back at the montage near the end of episode 1 of future events, the Blue Moon was shown too. I really like how you can go back after every new episode and piece more of it together. A bit worried what happens next now, because right after that one is an image of what looks like a nuke going off...
Mar 20, 2017 3:58 PM

Feb 2010
Ursula was very cute in this episode. She should have more screen time.

They must invest more time in episodes like that. The comedy is not bad, but it's good to see some character development.
Mar 20, 2017 4:45 PM
Feb 2017
Personally, I haven't really been bothered with the slice of life content so far. We all knew from the start what the over arching plot was going to be: Akko looking to become like Chariot, so it was fine for me to spend a good amount of time having the characters interact with eachother and the world around them outside the plot as a way to build the world, atmosphere, and character connections.
Having said that I loved this episode. making the plot clearer at this point was great, and the whole episode really solidified why to me Akko is a fantastic character. She never once truly considers giving up. She knows shes crap at magic but that hasn't stopped her from working. And the fact that she is working towards a goal that is more than just becoming a great witch (she wants to do what chariot did to her and inspire/bring happiness) also makes her an incredibly sympathetic character.
I honestly just have a soft spot for characters who are brave, resilient, and mature enough to know they have to WORK, even if they're a little 'silly' or fool hardy. Akko deciding to keep her past and put in the effort almost brought a tear to my eye. i fucking love this series. GOD DAMN.
Mar 20, 2017 5:27 PM

Apr 2015
Finaly a good plot.
Mar 20, 2017 5:28 PM

Oct 2013
Interesting how Akko is improving in her magic, but still struggles, and she is despondent at the beginning of this ep. It was cool that she would not give up her past for magical power, but wants to achieve her dreams through her own efforts. A good message overall.
Mar 20, 2017 5:38 PM
Oct 2012
Excellent episode. Now we know why Chariot quit, now we know what is at stake, now we know why Akko will ultimately win, what the father is afraid of, and the course for the rest of the show. All explained in one in 5 still panels lasting no more than one second each.

Just my guess, but:

Predictions, next episode Akko can finally ride a broom. With the second star unlocked her magic ability should double. Diana, who is already noticing Akko, will start putting everything together.

Oh, and the use of trading cards is a very nice touch. Akko has actually studied MORE about magic than Diana has because Akko BELIEVES in the Card (which Chariot wrote), where as Diana overlooks that the clues were all there - believing the truth is hidden somewhere.

Anyway, loved the episode, truly superior foreshadowing and drawing on several of the prior episodes. Also requires the viewer to be paying attention to be able to see where things are going.
Mar 20, 2017 5:40 PM

Jun 2007
GenesisAria said:
Well, it's been pretty obvious that Ursula-sensei is Chariot. They didn't even need to confirm it, though then again if they left it for too long everyone would be like "yeah not surprising..."

I'm usually the first one to connect dots in stories and predict how things go, but I had no inclination that Ursula is Chairot. I figured the two of them were good friends. Prior to ep11, what made you think that Ursula is Chairot?
Mar 20, 2017 5:59 PM
Sep 2012
So Akko saw Ursula without her glasses, and still didn't figure she was Shiny Chariot. I mean Lois Lane would figured that out once you got the glasses off.
Mar 20, 2017 6:12 PM
Feb 2017
blfan said:
So Akko saw Ursula without her glasses, and still didn't figure she was Shiny Chariot. I mean Lois Lane would figured that out once you got the glasses off.

Akko didn't notice Ursula as Shiny Chariot because you have to compare Ursula's personality with Chariot's. There are a lot of people who have the eye color but Akko couldn't believe her idol would be like this.
Mar 20, 2017 6:37 PM

Feb 2016
Honestly i'm just glad its not monotonous again. This episode felt very fresh and interesting and began to devolve an actually story line with the seven words making the show more interesting. Hopefully next episode is just as good.
What.
Mar 20, 2017 9:15 PM

Jun 2013
Oh buddy, dis gittin' gewd.

If I had to make a guess right now, it's something along the lines of "revive the 7 words to save earth's magic", but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if there's a huge twist awaiting. What's with that dark premonition Akko saw right before she passed out, eh? And it's really making me wonder whether "wanting to be Chariot" is actually a good thing... there's most likely some steep price to pay or some unforeseen (bad) outcome for the fulfillment of Akko's dream, if Ursula's melancholy is any indication.

Also, I'm becoming more and more convinced Dianna idolizes Chariot as well. She and Akko seem to essentially be looking for the same thing in this episode.
Mar 21, 2017 1:13 AM

Dec 2009
d388 said:
GenesisAria said:
Well, it's been pretty obvious that Ursula-sensei is Chariot. They didn't even need to confirm it, though then again if they left it for too long everyone would be like "yeah not surprising..."

I'm usually the first one to connect dots in stories and predict how things go, but I had no inclination that Ursula is Chairot. I figured the two of them were good friends. Prior to ep11, what made you think that Ursula is Chairot?

She was always doting on Akko in a weird kind of reserved way. I could tell she saw herself in Akko, but for some reason mostly tried to keep her distance, or was nervous around her (meaning she felt guilty about Akko's inspiration, despite having lost her sparkle because of whatever happened). The convincing factor for me was probably her eyes. I could always see Chariot in her eyes (and changing her hair colour woulda been a piece of cake for an illusionist). I wasn't certain, as i'm never 100% certain of anything, but i was pretty much convinced quite a while ago.

There was also the part with the bear and the portal and she seemed to know about Chariot's having been there.

And also right at the beginning, Ursula know how to get Akko to use the shiny rod, which obviously didn't work unless there was special conditions, of which Ursula knew.
GenesisAriaMar 21, 2017 1:24 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Mar 21, 2017 3:02 AM

Dec 2011
d388 said:
GenesisAria said:

Lol that funny since it was clearly reveal in episode 6 i think where at one moment Ursula hair was quite red before changing colour.
Mar 21, 2017 4:02 AM

Sep 2016
best anime of the season. im watching every episode with wet eyes man, its so fucking great.
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Mar 21, 2017 4:57 AM

Jun 2007
GenesisAria said:
d388 said:

She was always doting on Akko in a weird kind of reserved way. I could tell she saw herself in Akko, but for some reason mostly tried to keep her distance, or was nervous around her (meaning she felt guilty about Akko's inspiration, despite having lost her sparkle because of whatever happened). The convincing factor for me was probably her eyes. I could always see Chariot in her eyes (and changing her hair colour woulda been a piece of cake for an illusionist). I wasn't certain, as i'm never 100% certain of anything, but i was pretty much convinced quite a while ago.

There was also the part with the bear and the portal and she seemed to know about Chariot's having been there.

And also right at the beginning, Ursula know how to get Akko to use the shiny rod, which obviously didn't work unless there was special conditions, of which Ursula knew.

Those could all mean that Ursula was a good friend of Chairot. I think you guys had the advantage of having watched the earlier Little Witch Academia anime.
Mar 21, 2017 5:26 AM

May 2015
d388 said:
GenesisAria said:

Knowing the words of Shiny Rod in ep 1, saying them with determination.
Same voice actress.
Acting weird whenever Akko mentions Chariot.
Same eyes.
Hair changing to red in ep 6 and also in film. Pretty obvious
Mar 21, 2017 6:30 AM

Sep 2015
Pretty cool little episode and it finally gave this show some sense of an overall plot. For anyone left in the audience who was really concerned about that. It reminded me more of Harry Potter than the series has in a while. The whole having to sneak out at night to confront some magical phenomenon felt very Potter. And the sudden introduction of seven goals which must be accomplished felt a lot like the Horcruxes. One is even already out of the way by accident. Still not entirely sure what "reviving the words" even means though it seems to be training Ursula/Chariot also underwent. But I don't imagine we're supposed to yet.

I liked the Deku Tree and that whole scene a lot. The future you want is pointless without your past. I like that. I didn't love how they teased us with Ursula's identity finally being revealed. But it did feel like we advanced that plot if only a little. My biggest complaint with the episode stems from how I just can't get a read on Ursula as a character. I chalk it up to I have trouble interpreting her VAs delivery. For instance when she was explaining that the words were being revived on the staff and stuff. I was really not sure if reviving the words was a good thing or not. And the exposition at the end between her and Professor Barkface felt really awkward and forced to me.

Still this was a fun episode, and possibly one some viewers have been desiring for awhile. The start of an overarching plot. Hopefully it piqued the interest of some people unimpressed with this series lack of direction.
Mar 21, 2017 7:08 AM

Jul 2013
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
So Akko is a kind of "chosen one"? So whatever happens, even after falling in a hole, she will just say "the words" like that just because "chosen one" and Fate. Then she'll save the world with the chosen one's magical wand. That's practical.

So, no matter how much hard work, Sucy, Lotta and Diana will do in their study, they will never become the great magician saving the world, because, yeah, they aren't the chosen ones. That's quite the lesson.

Ako still sucks though and will likely remain that way for quite sometime. What Chariot did was flashy magic tricks, which I doubt require much skills. Just because she possess a special staff doesn't necessarily make her good with magic, otherwise she'd be the top student already instead of Diana. I don't think reviving those words have anything to do with skill if what has been shown is any indication (and my guess is those seven words are the key to reviving magic power in the world). Maybe she has certain qualities that made the staff responds to her but not giving her any special power or skill.

Plus there are all kinds of specialties in magic. No matter how good Akko becomes she won't necessarily be better than Lotte at controlling spirits, be more knowledgeable at poisons than Sucy, or master more spells than Diana's repertoire. Look at Harry Potter, even though he was the chosen one and was a pretty decent wizard by the end he wasn't necessarily the strongest or the most capable. Hermione pretty much still trumped him at everything except dueling skills and luck (and that's more because of Harry's natural body reflex than actual magic skills). Harry still sucked at potions & divination and was nowhere near as good as Neville at Herbology. Yes, you can be the chosen one who would ultimately save the world, the trope though doesn't necessarily mean the chosen character was the be all end all of the story's universe. It often meant they were simply the right person at the right place and at the right time.
MoeGodMar 21, 2017 7:14 AM
Mar 21, 2017 8:07 AM

Sep 2014
The show should just stick with Akko's goofy adventures, this attempt at plot development and serious theme exploration feels dry.
Mar 21, 2017 9:29 AM

Apr 2016
MoeGod said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
So Akko is a kind of "chosen one"? So whatever happens, even after falling in a hole, she will just say "the words" like that just because "chosen one" and Fate. Then she'll save the world with the chosen one's magical wand. That's practical.

So, no matter how much hard work, Sucy, Lotta and Diana will do in their study, they will never become the great magician saving the world, because, yeah, they aren't the chosen ones. That's quite the lesson.

Ako still sucks though and will likely remain that way for quite sometime. What Chariot did was flashy magic tricks, which I doubt require much skills. Just because she possess a special staff doesn't necessarily make her good with magic, otherwise she'd be the top student already instead of Diana. I don't think reviving those words have anything to do with skill if what has been shown is any indication (and my guess is those seven words are the key to reviving magic power in the world). Maybe she has certain qualities that made the staff responds to her but not giving her any special power or skill.

Plus there are all kinds of specialties in magic. No matter how good Akko becomes she won't necessarily be better than Lotte at controlling spirits, be more knowledgeable at poisons than Sucy, or master more spells than Diana's repertoire. Look at Harry Potter, even though he was the chosen one and was a pretty decent wizard by the end he wasn't necessarily the strongest or the most capable. Hermione pretty much still trumped him at everything except dueling skills and luck (and that's more because of Harry's natural body reflex than actual magic skills). Harry still sucked at potions & divination and was nowhere near as good as Neville at Herbology. Yes, you can be the chosen one who would ultimately save the world, the trope though doesn't necessarily mean the chosen character was the be all end all of the story's universe. It often meant they were simply the right person at the right place and at the right time.

Agree with that.
I don't like the way this trope is used and presented in this show though. It makes all look easy and it turned twice into another "last-minute-save-it-all" plot device even though in this episode I don't even know what was supposed to be saved and why the urge to strike the apparition. 2deep4me I suppose.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2017

152 by LFC123 »»
Mar 21, 1:12 AM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2017

116 by Sr_Caneca »»
Mar 7, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2017

159 by Sr_Caneca »»
Mar 7, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

310 by HoneyBees91 »»
Feb 28, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2017

186 by trueauracoral »»
Feb 18, 7:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.