Forum Settings
Forums

Do you take genre into consideration when rating shows?

New
Jan 18, 2017 11:26 PM

Jan 2014
I want to know what your takes are on this.

I personally do not. The way I see it we can all agree we like food right? As a k-american let's say hypothetically I don't like sushi (I love sushi btw). I'm not going to say to myself "Well even though I don't like the taste of sushi, I can see why it could be considered good japanese food." Ultimately regardless of what type of food it is, or "genre" in the anime sense, I'm still going to rate it how I see it overall according to my taste. You can be respectful to the culture/people of those that value it, but I would still personally rate it how I feel/see it.

There is no right or wrong answer to this imo, but curious what you guys/girls think.

-Edit-
For me it's more about upholding each show to the same standard since my rating is for all the shows I've completed/dropped relative to eachother. Regardless of what is typically entailed/expected within each genre.
anonypcJan 19, 2017 2:13 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 18, 2017 11:34 PM

Nov 2014
For me the show goes through the same rating system regardless. While I don't consciously take genre into consideration, it does obviously affect my rating eventually.

My observation is that certain genres perform better in different aspects from others. Slice of life shows never seem to go higher than a 8.4 for example, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. I haven't watched a slice of life that I can justify giving a 9 for plot.
BurningSpiritJan 19, 2017 1:30 AM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 18, 2017 11:35 PM

May 2015
I agree with you. One show might be the best of its genre but if my engagement towards it is not comparable with my favourites or actual 10s then I am not going to score it very high. The elements that make an anime engaging for me can be pretty much anything: suspense, comedy, atmosphere, characters, story, concept, art.

You can be respectful to the culture/people of those that value it
Paying respect to a foreign culture through ratings on MAL, rofl
zalJan 19, 2017 1:36 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2017 11:36 PM

Jan 2014
zal said:
I agree with you. One show might be the best of its genre but if for it's not comparable with my favourites or actual 10s then I am not going to score it very high.

You can be respectful to the culture/people of those that value it
Paying respect to a foreign culture through ratings on MAL, rofl

Lol, point taken... point taken

-character count-
Jan 19, 2017 12:24 AM

Jan 2015
No, I think I'm not. Probably just.. when I want to start pick or watch it(obviously).
I believe there ppl do that like when rating stuff like hentai

la critique de l'intention pure
Jan 19, 2017 12:32 AM

Dec 2015
I think my ratings of horror are more variable because I really know the genre well. No matter the medium I love the genre so I know exactly what I like. Therefore I judge it more critically than for example slice of life which I don't know that well, so you can say I take genre into account.
Jan 19, 2017 12:36 AM

Feb 2011
not so much genre, but the more serious tone a show has the harsher i am about critiquing its flaws
Jan 19, 2017 12:38 AM

May 2010
I don't see one genre comparable with a different genre.
But I do take the genre into consideration, kind of, I think. I take it this way... The easiest example is comedy. I often see people in MAL saying sth along this line: "This anime doesn't deserve this score because it doesn't have a story." In my opinion, a good comedy doesn't always rely on a story, so I would rate it in different kind of standard compared to other genre.
I wonder if I make sense? Sorry for the crude explanation.
Jan 19, 2017 1:08 AM

Jul 2014
I don't though I know some people would, especially those more critical about rating animes. The way I rate is fairly simple and straight-forward since the scores I give are all usually based on personal enjoyability.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jan 19, 2017 1:21 AM

Jun 2015
Yes. Because by virtue, most comedy anime has little to no plot.
Jan 19, 2017 1:30 AM

Jul 2015
No. But i do take genre into consideration when PTW.
Jan 19, 2017 1:41 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Yeah of course. Do you expect me to rate a comedy, ecchi or moe show by how deep and epic its storyline was? Hardly. Enjoyment is all that matters in the end and that comes in very different forms depending on the type of series

Everything should be judged by its own intents and purposes. However, I'd rather say that should be done by every individual show than the genre as a whole
Jan 19, 2017 1:45 AM

Nov 2010
My rating comes mostly from personal enjoyment though some of it's about genres I guess. If I think anime is good slice of life then I rate it high and stuff. I don't really compare for example Kimi to Boku to Code Geass in my head and try to figure out which deserves bigger score. And then I like when genre uses tropes and cliches in new ways, re-invents them, makes fun of them or sth like that instead of repeating same old so I tend to enjoy animes like that more which should reflect the scoring.
Jan 19, 2017 4:53 AM

Feb 2013
yes there are some genres i rate higher than others.. so it is for everyone who rates, you can see on MALgraph
Jan 19, 2017 4:58 AM

Jun 2015
Not particularly, but genres will set an expectation for me before watching, say for example: if a comedy doesn't make me laugh, or a mystery lacks any mystery, it may affect my overall enjoyment given it doesn't meet my predetermined expectation.
Generally though, genres not meeting their expectation doesn't change my rating much if the show itself is still excellent in its other aspects.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Jan 19, 2017 5:42 AM

Mar 2015
should i judge a horror anime because it's not funny? should i judge romance anime because there is no action?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 19, 2017 5:48 AM

May 2016
Not really. I think every anime has they rules to follow. If they don't follow these rules, then I rate them lower. Independent to gente.
Jan 19, 2017 5:55 AM

Sep 2014
Kuma said:
should i judge a horror anime because it's not funny? should i judge romance anime because there is no action?

No but by the same merit you shouldn't knock a show because it was marked comedy and you were expecting it to be funny but instead it delivered beautifully for you as a romance. Not saying that's how you intended those words to be taken but just throwing it in.

OT: the only thing you should judge a show on is what it has done, not what you expected it to do, not what you've heard it does, not what past iterations/original material did, not what it could have done and certainly not by quick labels thrown on to give the broadest idea to people what they are getting into.

Jan 19, 2017 5:57 AM

Mar 2015
ScarletSentry said:
Kuma said:

No but by the same merit you shouldn't knock a show because it was marked comedy and you were expecting it to be funny but instead it delivered beautifully for you as a romance. Not saying that's how you intended those words to be taken but just throwing it in.

i treated them as bonus... as simple as that...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 19, 2017 6:01 AM

Jan 2015
TheLonelyCynic said:
Not particularly, but genres will set an expectation for me before watching, say for example: if a comedy doesn't make me laugh, or a mystery lacks any mystery, it may affect my overall enjoyment given it doesn't meet my predetermined expectation.
come to agree as it the term I looking for.

la critique de l'intention pure
Jan 19, 2017 6:03 AM

Nov 2009
Yes, genre is an important part of the way I enjoy the show, and hence the way I rate it.
I do not expect SAO to be Log Horizon, or Log Horizon to be SAO. Hence, SAO lacking grand strategy does not take away from my enjoyment of SAO.
Jan 19, 2017 6:08 AM
Jun 2013
I have to say yes, even though its not such a conscious decision.
Genres come with expectations, and these expectations alter my enjoyment and score.
Anime exists
all is well
Jan 19, 2017 6:30 AM

Nov 2016
Yes. I'm not expecting thrillers and comedies or slice of life to be built the same way. With this in mind, I'm less critical about the characters' backstory and development, or the plot when I'm watching Lucky Star than when I'm watching Berserk. I evaluate different criterias instead i.e. being funny, having original jokes, keeping it fresh, have good character synergy, no annoying/lame character, etc.
Jan 19, 2017 6:45 AM

Apr 2011
Whatever genre it may be, all I'm looking is to be entertained. If it can give me that, I'll rate it high. If not, no. Genres affect my expectations, but not my ratings.
Jan 19, 2017 7:24 AM

May 2015
Genres are useful categories to find similar works and compare them. It doesn't state the quality of the work. I judge the work based on its purpose, how well it achieves and various things that come along.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 19, 2017 7:38 AM

Feb 2016
well, thriller psychological is not my preferred genre, so they wouldn't reach 10s in my list. i gave 9 for maximum score
Jan 19, 2017 8:21 AM

May 2016
Different genres come with different expectations thus different ratings. I'm not watching a comedy for its plot most of the time. So if the show doesn't really care about it then I'm not going too (if anything a comedy shifting to focus on a serious plot is more of a negative).
I'm also never going to bash the show for its genre. Ex. I'm not going to say a harem show is bad because I don't like harems.
Jan 19, 2017 8:43 AM

Jan 2016
No. If something is good and fun I'll rate it the same whether it's school life comedy or horror. The genre shouldn't matter. However i consider it before adding it to my ptw list
Jan 19, 2017 8:54 AM

Feb 2010
I'd be lying to myself If I said I don't. I mean I don't deliberately rate some genres higher or lower no matter what, but I definitely like some genres more than others and it'll be much easier for shows from those genres to get a 7+ score from me. That's just basic preferences, I think that's the case for most people to some degree. Expectations also differ based on genre/type of anime.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 19, 2017 12:59 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Yeah, I guess I do for the most part. Genres are largely a categorization system to make it easier for someone to sort out the sort of stuff they're interested in from stuff they're not so interested in at face value, so when I watch something from a genre I know I already like then there's a really good chance it's going to have something there for me to like, at least. It'll probably get a higher score regardless of whether I like it or dislike it simply by having those elements that I know I enjoy.

I don't sit there and think "Oh, I love that genre so I'll bump the score a little bit" outright, though, if that's what this thread is asking. If it's from a genre I like then it'll probably have a higher score from an anime from a genre I don't like so much.

Jan 19, 2017 2:00 PM

Jan 2015
No, I doubt anyone does. Genre is more correlated with the anime you will pick and how much of them you watch. If you are choosing an anime outside of your favorite genres it's most likely good.
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jan 19, 2017 2:24 PM

Jul 2014
imo...genre dosent matter..its the show that matters
Jan 19, 2017 2:27 PM

May 2015
I don't judge an anime by what it is. I judge an anime by what it does.
Jan 19, 2017 2:30 PM

Dec 2016
Sometimes, but I try not to give special treatment to shows because of their respective genres, as that would be unfair.
The overall enjoyment of the show should be the main basis for rating it IMO.
Jan 19, 2017 2:54 PM

Jan 2014
I'd say for a quick personal rating I wouldn't consider the genres the show falls into, since I generally give number/5 stars ratings for enjoyment and I don't need to consider genres to know if I enjoyed something or not.
However, for an argumentative review (aka one where I take a stance on whether or not it is a good show) I would take genre into consideration since genres often indicate who the target audience of the show is.
An extreme example to illustrate my point would be a reviewer giving a romance/harem anime 3/10 because there were not enough fight scenes to make it entertaining. There is a clear discrepancy between what the show is aiming for and what the reviewer wanted to see. An argumentative review should at the very least keep in mind the shows intended audience.
Hi, it's nice to meet you. c:
Youtube: HowDoIrene
Newest video: Top 5 Romance Anime!
Jan 19, 2017 3:18 PM

Dec 2015
Yes. Just because Im not the target audience, it doesn't mean the anime necessarily sucks. The stuff that I know that I'd hate, for ex.Yaoi, are the stuff I'd avoid at all cost cause my rating would be extremely biased. However, this is still very subjective..

For example, pokemon is a kids show. When I was 10, I was in love with it and would've easily given it a 10/10. Now, I can't really stand it, so according to my current enjoyment I should give it a 4/10.
However, I give it a 7/10 because even though it's too boring for me, it still has great animation, sound and teaches kids about good human values (ex. friendship, persistence, patience, etc..)
Jan 19, 2017 9:51 PM

Apr 2015
I never thought about this, but actually maybe I have been...
Jan 19, 2017 9:55 PM

Apr 2015
As for genre, I don't. But yeah for themes. I rate them differently.
Jan 19, 2017 10:08 PM
Sep 2015
Not really, but I used to score fantasy and action animes higher than slice of life animes. Genre is not that important since I cannot judge a romance anime like a sci-fi anime. But I take genre into consideration when adding animes to my ptw list.
Jan 19, 2017 10:24 PM
Jul 2015
Only when they are full comedy anime, because if the jokes aren´t funny the comedy isn´t working
Jan 19, 2017 10:52 PM

May 2010
Each genre delivers differently, so it's hard to say. I wouldn't expect mindblowing plot from a simple comedy, so it's enough if it manages to make me laugh a lot. I can rate it 10/10 easily, even without unbelievable twists or complex characters. Well, my rating is based mainly on whether I enjoyed each series, so I just don't think about it too much, I guess.
Jan 19, 2017 11:02 PM

Jun 2015
No, I do not. If a show is only good for the target audience, that's a problem.

Jan 20, 2017 8:59 AM

May 2015
Mangashines said:
I'm unintentionally less-critically towards slice of life shows as, I usually give low scores to shows with unappealing story. Since, in slice of life shows, plot is almost non-existence, I don't rate it in the same way as other genres.

What do you base your ratings on when it comes to SOL?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 20, 2017 10:42 AM

Sep 2009
For you people who take rating seriously, if you do then I cannot imagine how more complicated it would become :o
And no for me because every genre can be enjoyable in ways that differ from eachother obviously (exception to what shaft does and whatever weird genre it would be associated to).
Jan 21, 2017 3:59 AM

Oct 2011
Yes, because it helps me what to expect from a show. There are shows though that blends several genres and that is when I usually find labeling it to one genre as unnecessary.
Jan 21, 2017 4:31 AM

Dec 2012
The things I rate by generally apply to everything (except hentai) but there are things that tend to rate lower like comedy and slice of life shows because they sometimes lack an overall story.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 10, 2018 5:27 AM

Feb 2011
I'm thinking about this same question lately.

I usually rate shows with an "adventure" mindset, since that's generally my favourite genre, where the higher rated shows are the ones with the better worldbuilding, complex story, character development and character presence.
Plus points for thought provoking shows, but that applies to any genre. (i usually keep the 9+ rating for the series which are also thought provoking)

But with other genres like comedy it creates problems, since it isn't possible for a pure comedy to have a fully detailed worldbuilding, story, character development and other deeper details, that just isn't part of the formula of pure comedy. So i've been rating comedy shows low for a long time even if I usually enjoy those a lot too.

So I'm currently thinking of using different criterias for rating shows based on the genre.
If a show includes adventure, i'm going to use my usualy rating method. (how much the world, story and characters are deep)
If the show doesn't include adventure, I can't use that same method, so something else has to be used as criteria.
For comedy shows it's the consistency and highs of the hilarity to be used as reference for the score.

One objection to rating shows differently may come from comparing single genre shows, with shows which include multiple genres.
Like comparing a pure "serious" adventure, a pure comedy, and a show which is both adventure and comedy.
The show with multiple genres could be said to be more complete than the other two. So it would be unfair to rate the multiple genre show with double the criteria, than the other two shows, which would have a less strict criteria. But I think that's an error of view, since both 3 are all different things, a mix of story genres as a whole is a different thing than the individual genres composing it.
Ultimately what matters in all 3 is how well they are executed, developed, and how much they're enjoyable.

The different methods of rating are only used to properly view the different ways the execution and development can be displayed into different genres.

A more straight forward way to bypass all this would be to just rate shows based on enjoyment, whatever the genre.
Though it's still true different genres can be enjoyable for different reasons, and generate different types of enjoyment. So rating while considering only one kind of enjoyment may cut away or penalize other shows, even if they are as equally enjoyable, but different.

(...and I wrote an other wall of text...)

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jan 10, 2018 5:39 AM

Feb 2015
I rate hentai a little bit differently than normal anime but that would be all about it.

I rarely look at genres when I'm picking anime to watch and it's only for challenges so whatever.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 11, 2018 12:07 AM
Jun 2017
Not really. I usually rate shows based on my overall enjoyment of it. I don't care for the genre because I'm open to any of it tbh.
Jan 11, 2018 12:09 AM

Jul 2015
Nope. Why would I? Wouldn't be fair to my list.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

127 by NessieMAL »»
4 minutes ago

» What do you think next-gen Ecchi anime could be?

Anjuro - 4 hours ago

7 by Rhae »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Anime with better story than art

ST63LTH - Yesterday

12 by DigiCat »»
26 minutes ago

» Why Don't You Watch More Spooky Anime?

LenRea - Yesterday

29 by Swyzen »»
1 hour ago

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

31 by Gashadokur0 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.