Forum Settings
Forums

What setting do you wish you could see more of in anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 9, 2016 9:55 AM

Feb 2015
Queenxaa said:

Nah... there's a difference between reading WWII and reading a narrative on WWII. If Tokyo 8.0 Magnitude had focused on the facts and only the facts about the earthquake with no coherent story or characters whatsoever, then it wouldn't have been as great as it is.

And there is also differences between media censorship and shit... Just watch some WWII documentaries, or at least, some book dedicated to it, I've one novel that is abou his experiences about the harshness of WWII...

Since, as far as I know, there's no anime dedicated to WWI or WWII... You have to really watch documentaries or learn the history....

Don't be fucking spoiled brat.
Aug 9, 2016 10:03 AM

Feb 2014
Space/future/sci-fi setting that doesn't have mechas shoehorned in it. I don't hate mecha anime, but when I look at the shows under the space genre tag, the majority of them seem to be mechas.
Aug 9, 2016 10:42 AM

Jun 2016
Something other than highschool. Can someone explain to me why highschool is so popular in Japan to the point that there is a highschool for every damn thing in anime?
Aug 9, 2016 10:48 AM

Nov 2009
Cute girls doing cute things in any kind of futuristic setting. Whether they're traversing post-apocalyptic Japan in a tank, searching for other survivors; exploring the depths of Europa in a submarine, mining asteroids or teaching a robot girl to be human.

Fantasy Russia. Preferably a harem, where the MC gets to be a knyaz, and he gets to fight (and get into his harem) girls patterned after russian mythological creatures. But something like Inuyasha would be good too.

Beach anime. I live in a seaside town, and one beach episode a season is just sooo unrealistic!
Also, @EcchiLordMamster will like it, but for different reasons.

Kami-Koto said:
Fantasy settings that aren't way too accommodating and convenient to the protagonist.

Fantasy settings that are actually accommodating and convenient for the protagonist. Our NEET otaku protagonist goes to a parallel world... and gets to watch anime all the time in the company of cute catgirls! Which will somehow save the world and get him even more girls.

zombie_pegasus said:
The abnormal school setting like in Girls und Panzer, Aikatsu, Non Non Biyori, Lady Jewelpet, Gakkou no Kaidan, Gakkougurashi, Railgun, and Grisaia would be nice to see more of.

Indeed. At least a school of magic that isn't about fighting, please! Little Witch Academia is a good example.

JkayW said:
GOOD FANTASY WITH DEEP SEEDED LORE AND NOT ESCAPIST PANDERING WAIFU SELF INSERT BULLSHIT.

It's anime. No matter how deep the setting, it will have cute girls. That's what I like about anime.
Also, any fantasy that isn't escapist is not good. It's "dark".
flannanAug 9, 2016 10:52 AM
Aug 9, 2016 10:49 AM

Sep 2015
space operas or cyberpunk

lapotatoe said:
Something other than highschool. Can someone explain to me why highschool is so popular in Japan to the point that there is a highschool for every damn thing in anime?

the audience are high school boys and girls

Aug 9, 2016 10:50 AM

Nov 2009
lapotatoe said:

1) Because everybody in Japan went to school. It's one of the few things they have in common.
2) Because it's the default setting. Unless there is a reason to set an anime somewhere else, that's where it's going to be.
Aug 9, 2016 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
Queenxaa said:
Seidou_Takizawa said:
It would be cool to see more historical anime that take place in Germany during the years 1939-1945 ^^

There's some kind of ban that prevents anime about WWII to be made. I guess it'd be nice seeing an anime about a family living during those years, though it couldn't be military or politically focused.

Oh really? Well that's a shame, still like you said it would be interesting to see a historical/drama anime in that setting.
Aug 9, 2016 10:59 AM

Apr 2015
flannan said:
Cute girls doing cute things in any kind of futuristic setting. Whether they're traversing post-apocalyptic Japan in a tank, searching for other survivors; exploring the depths of Europa in a submarine, mining asteroids or teaching a robot girl to be human.

Fantasy Russia. Preferably a harem, where the MC gets to be a knyaz, and he gets to fight (and get into his harem) girls patterned after russian mythological creatures. But something like Inuyasha would be good too.

Beach anime. I live in a seaside town, and one beach episode a season is just sooo unrealistic!
Also, @EcchiLordMamster will like it, but for different reasons.

Kami-Koto said:
Fantasy settings that aren't way too accommodating and convenient to the protagonist.

Fantasy settings that are actually accommodating and convenient for the protagonist. Our NEET otaku protagonist goes to a parallel world... and gets to watch anime all the time in the company of cute catgirls! Which will somehow save the world and get him even more girls.

zombie_pegasus said:
The abnormal school setting like in Girls und Panzer, Aikatsu, Non Non Biyori, Lady Jewelpet, Gakkou no Kaidan, Gakkougurashi, Railgun, and Grisaia would be nice to see more of.

Indeed. At least a school of magic that isn't about fighting, please! Little Witch Academia is a good example.

JkayW said:
GOOD FANTASY WITH DEEP SEEDED LORE AND NOT ESCAPIST PANDERING WAIFU SELF INSERT BULLSHIT.

It's anime. No matter how deep the setting, it will have cute girls. That's what I like about anime.

Wow ur so much smarter than me because you know the specific names of sub genres!

No. My point still stands because I described it and I said it was good. All you did was be that guy in the room with glasses saying "UHMM ACTUALLY ITS CALLED..."

And not all anime is cute girls because that's what you "like about it". Understand that we're describing what we want.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2016 11:02 AM

Mar 2016
Less ecchi, and harem trarsh. More pirates, more cool racist guys, less tolerance shit.
Aug 9, 2016 11:16 AM

Nov 2009
JkayW said:
flannan said:

Wow ur so much smarter than me because you know the specific names of sub genres!

No. My point still stands because I described it and I said it was good. All you did was be that guy in the room with glasses saying "UHMM ACTUALLY ITS CALLED..."

It was partly a veiled insult too. I consider the whole subgenre of dark fantasy to be a bad idea.

JkayW said:
And not all anime is cute girls because that's what you "like about it". Understand that we're describing what we want.

Indeed, we're describing what we want. But anime as a whole still has a whole lot of cute girls - it's hard to find an anime without cute girls unless it's yaoi, kid story about talking animals, or some failure like Vampire Holmes.

Dave8814 said:
Less ecchi, and harem trarsh. More pirates, more cool racist guys, less tolerance shit.

More ecchi, harem and tolerance! Pirates are fine too, but racist guys are only good as sword fodder.
Aug 9, 2016 12:02 PM

Mar 2016
flannan said:

More ecchi, harem and tolerance! racist guys are only good as sword fodder.

Yes, that's exatly what all anime about in this genre... How unic...

At least we had a Solf J. Kimblee.
Aug 10, 2016 10:41 AM

May 2009
College or some adult setting that isn't their workplace which happens to almost always be a manga publishing company....
Aug 10, 2016 12:44 PM
Oct 2014
KumaGinko said:
All-girl Catholic school, including shoujo ai of course.

Maria holic is what you're looking for
Aug 10, 2016 12:53 PM

Feb 2016
mydogbrittney said:
KumaGinko said:
All-girl Catholic school, including shoujo ai of course.

Maria holic is what you're looking for

Hate that anime. It's not even actual yuri. It's a dude.
Aug 10, 2016 2:13 PM
Mar 2014
I would love to see more rural settings in anime; like for example an anime about rock climbing/ free climbing set in a mountainous area.
Aug 10, 2016 3:46 PM

Oct 2008
Like Usagi Drop but more romance included. Full circle if you will.
There has been time when surfing behind a car was cool,
just remember to tie the rope on the board and not on your ankle..
Aug 10, 2016 4:30 PM

Apr 2014
- Harem anime set in Egypt or near Egypt would be cool as long as it has a good story and not some lame bullshit like most harem anime.
- Horror anime set in a massive hospital (or something similar) with a good story sounds great and hopefully not just gore everywhere but with actual plot.
- Also need more Futuristic mystery anime focusing solely on the mystery.
- More supernatural anime similar to ghost hunt set in historical times would be good.
- More Fantasy anime set in historical times would be cool too.
- More Apocalyptic settings would be welcome too.
Aug 11, 2016 12:23 AM

Feb 2015
I wish I could see a good setting.
Never going to happen again though.
Aug 11, 2016 6:02 AM

Apr 2014
Basically, I want an anime version of Friends (the American TV show). A group of mature Japanese characters that just go through life and support each other when one of them is down. I know that in Japan adulthood is 90% just work so there's not really much to work with but I'd be interesting to see Japanese adult life be interpreted in anime.

Or really just a series with an adult protagonist. Shows from the past decade hardly even have any adult characters, even phasing out the idea of parents in a story. They're either out of town or dead.

You know what, I just thought of a setup:
A group of friends who are now in their late 20's receives news that their "secret trove" they had back in high school was discovered. They don't know who took it and worst of all, they don't remember what's inside it. All they know is: it's full of cringey stuff. And the only available time they have on their schedule is the school festival. So, they have to find out who took it and where he or she is in just one day. Think Anohana but with older characters and with a more lighthearted and comedic tone.
Aug 11, 2016 6:22 AM

Jul 2013
Survival game setting, there are a lot of manga with this setting, but I don't see much anime with it.
Rural setting, be it in Japan or outside Japan, the more or less peaceful life in a small town or village far away from big cities.
Not really sure if it is a setting, but anime that is based on or inspired by literature(like the Aoi Bungaku Series), fairy tales, myths, legends or urban legends.
Aug 11, 2016 6:39 AM
Nov 2014
Personally would like to see some hardcore cyberpunk/futuristic anime set in the future. But please, no mechs.
Aug 11, 2016 9:18 PM
Apr 2011
Rukoudiora said:
- Harem anime set in Egypt or near Egypt would be cool as long as it has a good story and not some lame bullshit like most harem anime.
- Horror anime set in a massive hospital (or something similar) with a good story sounds great and hopefully not just gore everywhere but with actual plot.
- Also need more Futuristic mystery anime focusing solely on the mystery.
- More supernatural anime similar to ghost hunt set in historical times would be good.
- More Fantasy anime set in historical times would be cool too.
- More Apocalyptic settings would be welcome too.

I really enjoy these ideas. I think I would like to see some overlapping genres/settings, like the futuristic mystery you mentioned. It's a nice way to mix things up.
Aug 11, 2016 9:21 PM

Aug 2012
Places like the work environment. There's several but they tend to be comedy shows mostly shorts.
Aug 13, 2016 8:55 PM
Apr 2011
I would also like to add, though I don't have a specific setting exactly, that I'd love to see a show that focused heavily on one of the Native American cultures.
Aug 13, 2016 9:30 PM

May 2015
Realistic hair colors and eyes. Japanese looking like actual Japanese's and maybe to see more people of different nationalities.
Aug 13, 2016 9:38 PM

Jan 2016
Well.. I might choose a historical one between 1800-1900s
Or if it possible.. Megalitikum era lol
It is better to see stoneage ppl than yuri or yaio :))
MoNYeTLeWaTAug 13, 2016 9:42 PM
We did this every day that summer. There wasn’t a day we missed.

"I love you, air conditioner."
Aug 14, 2016 3:13 PM

Apr 2016
Anything French. Like in Zero no Tsukaima, or Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
Aug 14, 2016 3:14 PM

Apr 2016
LPGeneratorx said:
I'd love to see more stuff in the American Gangster setting, like Baccano! for example, Spy settings like Joker Game are also welcome.

Seeing another anime like RAINBOW(Dark, gritty, prison setting) is also something I wouldn't mind.

Anything surrounding wars from historical times(Anything from medieval wars to WWII) could have great potential. (Although I'm not sure if it would be in good taste)

And although I can't say about the setting, another crime thriller set in the real world that can hold a candle to Monster would be glorious.
There's an anime game set in ww2, I think it's strategy, but I think it has a story too. I don't remember the name though.
Aug 14, 2016 3:18 PM

Jan 2014
More fantasy with serious/dark material. Like Re Zero

Would love another horror anime that is genuinely creepy . Like Higurashi

More College Romance Like Golden Time
Aug 14, 2016 3:28 PM

Mar 2015
Something set during Ancient Rome would be cool, there's enough set in the Medieval period.
Aug 14, 2016 3:33 PM

Aug 2014
Not shit fantasy. Like mainly aesthetically I'm talking here, more subdued colour pallet would be great. Also I suppose having less gamey fantasy settings would be really cool. Get closer to LOTR not JRPGs.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 14, 2016 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
Victorian setting tbh
I love the whole Victorian era and there should be more anime with it
Aug 14, 2016 3:39 PM

Jan 2014
llamacustard said:
It seems to me that there are many common settings throughout anime; space, a high fantasy world, modern Japan, and Feudal Japan to name a few. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but every once and a while, I dream of more anime being set in a wider variety of locations/time periods.

For example, I'd love to see more set in Africa, South America, or even the old American West would be interesting.

Do any of you have locations or times that you would like to see as the backdrop for a few more anime?
I would love to see more of an older such setting, anything other then for gods sake, high school setting.

That is the only thing I don't like about anime, everything else is swell. Lots of shows seem to imply that live doesn't exist outside of high school and or/its always depressive/protagonist will have a sad ending because apparently he can't use the internet lol

I don't know what I just ranted about but, less high school setting, please.

Live here in the now, chill with your buddy, Jambles.
Mangalist
Animelist
FanFiction/My Writing

Aug 14, 2016 3:52 PM

Mar 2012
More experimental anime like Kaiba or black comedy.
Aug 14, 2016 5:09 PM

Dec 2012
More cyberpunk or steampunk settings. I also want more space-oriented science fiction of the non-mecha variety. (Not that I don't love mecha too though)
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 14, 2016 5:43 PM

Aug 2010
We need more Historical anime. Something like Shana oh Yoshitsune would be great :)

Aug 14, 2016 5:46 PM
Oct 2015
Urban setting, involving gangs and fights.
So basically, more animes like Durarara
Aug 14, 2016 6:04 PM

Mar 2016
I would say either fantasy or high tech environments where there is ton of action, a legit romance (either let the man pick all the girls or let there only be one) and adventure. (NO SAO ISN'T GOOD, STOP RECOMMENDING IT)
I would say something along the lines of Overlord, The New Gate (if they animated this it would be awesome), Tsukyote New Saga (Same as before), Shiro No Kokokou Monogatari (Same as Before).
Aug 15, 2016 11:13 AM
Apr 2011
RaeHoon said:

I would love to see more anime like Kaiba!

Jambles said:
llamacustard said:
It seems to me that there are many common settings throughout anime; space, a high fantasy world, modern Japan, and Feudal Japan to name a few. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but every once and a while, I dream of more anime being set in a wider variety of locations/time periods.

For example, I'd love to see more set in Africa, South America, or even the old American West would be interesting.

Do any of you have locations or times that you would like to see as the backdrop for a few more anime?
I would love to see more of an older such setting, anything other then for gods sake, high school setting.

That is the only thing I don't like about anime, everything else is swell. Lots of shows seem to imply that live doesn't exist outside of high school and or/its always depressive/protagonist will have a sad ending because apparently he can't use the internet lol

Personally, I agree with you. I understand why there's so much anime set in high school (because I think it's some combination of it being something most people relate to, that it's targeted at a high school demographic, and that it's a kind of wish fulfillment thing) but it's just not something that interests me. If a good show has some element of a high school in the background, it won't stop me from watching it. But at the same time, I think that there are a bunch of story possibilities that could be explored without sticking to that formula, especially if the writers are trying to achieve the whole 'escapist fiction' thing.
Aug 15, 2016 11:18 AM

Jan 2015
Fantasy/adventure, middle age style, no steampunk and guns.
Aug 15, 2016 11:24 AM

Mar 2016
Winter forests are wonderful!! I would love to watch an anime set in a beautiful forest.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2016 11:25 AM

May 2016
More high school obviously.

///////////////
Aug 15, 2016 11:26 AM

Jun 2016
Can't get enough of Samurai anime set in small feudal villages.

But you know what I'd really love to see?A proper prehistoric anime set in like a rainforest or something.
With a protag named Neander-kun...
Aug 15, 2016 11:32 AM

Nov 2013
College instead of high school, should work as well since it's not a reach for high school students (probably main target audience).
Aug 15, 2016 11:34 AM
Dec 2015
Main character with a double identity
Aug 15, 2016 12:08 PM

Jan 2016
One of the settings I want:

a) Settings like The Evil Within (a Japanese game) and Re:Zero. I want more shows that resemble these two in terms of atmosphere where the protagonist is really powerless and only rely on his instinct and his wits to survive in an unforgiving world. More gore and deaths would give the thrill. If the character can somehow reset (like Subaru from Re:Zero), it would be a must-watch for me.

b) Settings like The Wolf Among Us (telltale games). Hm, are there any shows that involve abundant fable characters? Or..any show that has an infamous sheriff/detective that can explode at any time? Either one, I'll watch it.

This is just a simple list. I can go on and on about the settings I want to see in anime.
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

Aug 15, 2016 12:28 PM

Jul 2014
Medieval Europe (Vinland Saga adaptation WHEN?)
Aug 15, 2016 1:08 PM
Jun 2013
Tropical or ocean setting

Eternal Winter setting

Dreamworld setting

Island in the sky setting

University setting
Aug 15, 2016 6:00 PM

Jan 2014
llamacustard said:
RaeHoon said:

I would love to see more anime like Kaiba!

Jambles said:

Personally, I agree with you. I understand why there's so much anime set in high school (because I think it's some combination of it being something most people relate to, that it's targeted at a high school demographic, and that it's a kind of wish fulfillment thing) but it's just not something that interests me. If a good show has some element of a high school in the background, it won't stop me from watching it. But at the same time, I think that there are a bunch of story possibilities that could be explored without sticking to that formula, especially if the writers are trying to achieve the whole 'escapist fiction' thing.
Exactly!
You have spoken the truth of the truth and the truth has been spoken to the opinions of the truth and the truth and its true...You're true.

Live here in the now, chill with your buddy, Jambles.
Mangalist
Animelist
FanFiction/My Writing

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 27 minutes ago

7 by cyandaqil »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

39 by Fancyjasper »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

227 by Adnash »»
5 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 22 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
19 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.