Forum Settings
Forums

What setting do you wish you could see more of in anime?

New
Aug 8, 2016 12:05 PM
Apr 2011
It seems to me that there are many common settings throughout anime; space, a high fantasy world, modern Japan, and Feudal Japan to name a few. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but every once and a while, I dream of more anime being set in a wider variety of locations/time periods.

For example, I'd love to see more set in Africa, South America, or even the old American West would be interesting.

Do any of you have locations or times that you would like to see as the backdrop for a few more anime?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 8, 2016 12:10 PM

Sep 2012
An anime about Sengoku Jidai with comedy can be cool.But I prefer it stick to the history.

As for location nearly every anime sets in Japan so other that Japan is ok.I prefer Europe or how about Scandinavia.Now thats spmething.
Aug 8, 2016 12:11 PM
Jan 2016
Definitely a NEET transported to another world that has magic, where he becomes a hero and has many adventures with a bunch of cute girls. We don't have nearly enough of those. :P
Aug 8, 2016 12:14 PM

May 2015
Shows more similar to the Game of Thrones type setting. Not sure what the best description for that is, but definetly more shows in that setting.
"I'm always alone. Other people don't factor into what I do. The things that happen in front of me are parts of my life and my life alone." - 8man
Aug 8, 2016 12:16 PM

Jul 2013
I want more hystorical animes centered in the medieval Europe, like Berserker or Claymore. Something like Game of Thrones, but in anime media.
Aug 8, 2016 12:16 PM

Sep 2009
Wild West-esque, which used to be quite popular.
Late 19th century America, where organized crime truly had a culture of its own.
Post renaissance Europe.
Really, any realistically depicted historically vibrant setting is nice.

But I don't care what type of high-school they can come up with, high-school is a trash setting for anime.
@Illyricus In poor taste. medieval Europeans were just barbarians, most of which weren't even literate (even feudal lords); truly the dark ages of Europe.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Aug 8, 2016 12:17 PM

Sep 2012
@RainyRai
@Askorti

At that point I am feeling bad for not trolling guys.

Aug 8, 2016 12:18 PM

Jul 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
@Illyricus In poor taste. medieval Europeans were just barbarians, most of which weren't even literate (even feudal lords); truly the dark ages of Europe.
Exactly that. Can you imagine the edge this can produce? It would be rejoicing :)
Aug 8, 2016 12:20 PM

Sep 2009
Illyricus said:
MortalMelancholy said:
Exactly that. Can you imagine the edge this can produce? It would be rejoicing :)

Oh, right. Berserk. That's the sort of thing you were looking for.
Aug 8, 2016 12:20 PM
Jan 2016
sasalx said:
@RainyRai
@Askorti

At that point I am feeling bad for not trolling guys.

The joke is on you, because I was actually half serious. I really don't mind that setting at all. Yes, it is overused, but so what? It's a good one. Just like the high school setting, I could probably watch any number of series set in it as long as the other elements that they have cater to my tastes.
Aug 8, 2016 12:22 PM

Jul 2015
Abstract and surreal settings.

Cyberpunk, steampunk and film noir.

Small to moderate sized european countries in present day or the near future such as Norway, Switzerland or Slovakia.

The Himalayas or Alps.
Aug 8, 2016 12:24 PM
Jan 2016
MortalMelancholy said:

The level on which you're completely wrong is... complete... That's nothing like what medieval Europe actually was. At this point I'm not entirely sure if you wrote that seriously, or exaggerated on purpose.
Aug 8, 2016 12:26 PM

Jul 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

That's a renaissance narrative that doesn't agree with history. The medieval period spans a millenium during which there were many cultural, technological and social innovations.
Aug 8, 2016 12:34 PM
Nov 2015
Shingeki no Bahamut's, Magi's and One Piece's !
Aug 8, 2016 12:35 PM

Aug 2015
Fantasy settings that aren't way too accommodating and convenient to the protagonist.
Aug 8, 2016 12:37 PM

Sep 2009
BlueBalls said:
MortalMelancholy said:

That's a renaissance narrative that doesn't agree with history. The medieval period spans a millenium during which there were many cultural, technological and social innovations.

Culturally destitute, is what they were.
Aug 8, 2016 12:57 PM

Dec 2014
I would like to see some highschool settings ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 8, 2016 1:03 PM

Oct 2014
The abnormal school setting like in Girls und Panzer, Aikatsu, Non Non Biyori, Lady Jewelpet, Gakkou no Kaidan, Gakkougurashi, Railgun, and Grisaia would be nice to see more of.
Aug 8, 2016 1:11 PM

Aug 2014
Dark Fantasy.
Medieval settings with serious themes. Epic War and Drama.
Seinen Drama with College themes (The mature version of School) Comedy is preferable.
Black/Dark Comedy.
Aug 8, 2016 1:11 PM

Jan 2016
I wish more anime were made with the small, isolated town setting. I'm a fan of this setting, so I think I've already seen most of the good, small town anime.
You are now breathing manually.
Aug 8, 2016 1:14 PM

Dec 2014
Futuristic worlds with Medieval Elements. Ancient robot weapons, knights with technologically enhanced armor, galaxy spanning empires. I want no need a show like this.
Aug 8, 2016 1:14 PM

Oct 2013
Askorti said:
Definitely a NEET transported to another world that has magic, where he becomes a hero and has many adventures with a bunch of cute girls. We don't have nearly enough of those. :P

gate jieitai kanochi nite kaku tatakaeri or Re:zero :P
But I like that theme, so I'd like to see more
Aug 8, 2016 2:45 PM
Apr 2011
I think it would be interesting to see a Game of Thrones esque anime, as some of ou have mentioned. I think there are a few in existence that might be like that, but overall I don't think it would hurt to have a few more in the mix. I like the idea of seeing drama on that level :)

Also, sometimes I forget that I might like some European settings. I've seen several anime titles set in various centuries in England, but I can't name nearly as many that are set in other European countries (at least ones that actually represent said country, instead of just setting it there in name only.)
llamacustardAug 8, 2016 2:49 PM
Aug 8, 2016 2:48 PM
Jul 2016
There are very few shows that i can think of involving adult workplaces.
Aug 8, 2016 3:02 PM

Apr 2015
Cyberpunk or just fantasy. GOOD FANTASY WITH DEEP SEEDED LORE AND NOT ESCAPIST PANDERING WAIFU SELF INSERT BULLSHIT.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2016 3:05 PM

Jul 2016
I'd love to see an anime with a 1920s Europe setting, a 1800s setting would be amazing as well. With the tension going on in the continent during those time periods, one could create a really interesting story.
Aug 8, 2016 3:20 PM
Feb 2011
Dark fantasy, black comedy and stuff similar to HenSemi's setting.
Aug 8, 2016 3:31 PM
Jul 2018
It would be cool to see more historical anime that take place in Germany during the years 1939-1945 ^^
removed-userAug 8, 2016 3:56 PM
Aug 8, 2016 3:36 PM
May 2016
Natsuyuki Rendezvous for you, Murozaki.

Personally, I would love to see a Halo anime that's more story driven.
I am aware that Halo Legends exists. I've seen it multiple times. And every episode has a story.

But I mean one were it's a series with one plot instead of several.

Another would also be a dogfight oriented show. And not like Cockpit; too old of an era. Not Macross, that's too futuristic.

I'm talking like Ace Combat (Which I'd also love to see). Ace Combat as an anime, or at least something like it, would be glorious.
Aug 8, 2016 3:51 PM

Jun 2015
Any historical setting, preferably outside Japan.

Space might be not that unusual, but focussed on Mistery instead of War action it kinda is. It'd be nice to see more stuff like Hi no Tori's Uchuu-hen, They Were Eleven or Magnetic Rose.
Aug 8, 2016 4:00 PM

May 2015
We haven't had enough space westerns lately. I'd appreciate if more of them made a return.
Aug 8, 2016 4:08 PM

Sep 2015
I'd like to see more animes in a naturally snowy setting! Like, heavy snow is on the ground for longer than just winter... or even just an anime that has a lot of snow around. I really like the atmosphere it creates
Aug 8, 2016 4:13 PM

Feb 2016
All-girl Catholic school, including shoujo ai of course.
Aug 8, 2016 4:19 PM

Jan 2016
Well, as much as I would like to say I'm fine with the overabundance of shows in a high school or middle school setting, I would really like more dystopias please.
Aug 8, 2016 4:48 PM

May 2016
I want more space westerns, goddammit. Specifically, I'd love to see an anime adaptation of "Santiago" by Mike Resnick, to bring us back to the Holy Space Western Trinity days. Bones doing the adaptation would be amazing.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 8, 2016 9:07 PM

Feb 2016
Seidou_Takizawa said:
It would be cool to see more historical anime that take place in Germany during the years 1939-1945 ^^

There's some kind of ban that prevents anime about WWII to be made. I guess it'd be nice seeing an anime about a family living during those years, though it couldn't be military or politically focused.
Aug 8, 2016 9:08 PM

Feb 2015
JustALEX said:
Clearly we need more school settings in anime.

There just isn't enough!

School setting... A nice ring to it... Is this the realistic High School setting wherein there's a bit of drama, love, and just mainly studying?
If so... I approve of this!

Queenxaa said:
Seidou_Takizawa said:

There's some kind of ban that prevents anime about WWII to be made. I guess it'd be nice seeing an anime about a family living during those years, though it couldn't be military or politically focused.

Just read your social studies textbook or just read/watch about it on TV...

andy97 said:
More anime settings at work would be nice like new game and working

Mhhhh... I'd also would like some anime that will focus on eroge and other related stuff...
_Ako_Aug 8, 2016 9:24 PM
Aug 8, 2016 10:21 PM

Jul 2016
Hmmmmm.... I think I don't have problems regarding the setting it depends on what you pick to watch anime. Mostly, of the anime I watch have vast of setting. Like in Noir the setting is in Europe, in Kuragehime the Singapore, in Black Lagoon some parts of Southeast Asia, in Charlotte you would see different countries etc.

I don't know if a school is a setting I think it is really overused. The school festivals or sport festivals.

Aug 8, 2016 10:31 PM

Jan 2014
I want to see more survival stuff, where people cleverly kill eachother following an interesting set of rules.
Aug 8, 2016 10:32 PM

Mar 2008
Parallel worlds that you see both at once or back and forth often.

Psychological anime in a mental institute.

Drama of a homeless person on the streets.

A school slice of life in an Ancient Hellenic university.

Paranormal anime about Voodoo in Louisiana.

Oceanic sci-fi

Action romance in South America.

Slice of life comedy of monks in Mediaeval Europe.

A romance about Adolf Hitler in his artist years but they dont let you know its him till several episodes in.
Aug 8, 2016 10:33 PM

Jul 2010
Highschool Superman Setting. In another word, a masked guy goes around rescuing people in highschool. More like in the Dragonball Z. Also Bleach, kinda.
Aug 8, 2016 10:43 PM
Apr 2016
At this point, anything that isn't otaku wish fulfillment is fine. Anyways I'm waiting for Keijo!!...
Aug 8, 2016 11:22 PM

Feb 2016
college setting with free sex, drugs, alcohol, studying, and some of nudity games. literally american pie in anime version
Aug 9, 2016 2:20 AM

Feb 2016
_Ako_ said:
Queenxaa said:

Just read your social studies textbook or just read/watch about it on TV...

Nah... there's a difference between reading WWII and reading a narrative on WWII. If Tokyo 8.0 Magnitude had focused on the facts and only the facts about the earthquake with no coherent story or characters whatsoever, then it wouldn't have been as great as it is.
Aug 9, 2016 2:33 AM

May 2014
I'd love to see more stuff in the American Gangster setting, like Baccano! for example, Spy settings like Joker Game are also welcome.

Seeing another anime like RAINBOW(Dark, gritty, prison setting) is also something I wouldn't mind.

Anything surrounding wars from historical times(Anything from medieval wars to WWII) could have great potential. (Although I'm not sure if it would be in good taste)

And although I can't say about the setting, another crime thriller set in the real world that can hold a candle to Monster would be glorious.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Aug 9, 2016 3:14 AM

Dec 2014
I want more during the Sengoku Period...
Aug 9, 2016 7:33 AM
Apr 2011
Bobby2Hands said:
Johnnyd3rp said:
Space or post-apocalyptic like Mad Max.

A Mad Max/Fallout style post apocalyptic wasteland survival anime would be awesome.

Yes please.

traed said:
Parallel worlds that you see both at once or back and forth often.

Psychological anime in a mental institute.

Drama of a homeless person on the streets.

A school slice of life in an Ancient Hellenic university.

Paranormal anime about Voodoo in Louisiana.

Oceanic sci-fi

Action romance in South America.

Slice of life comedy of monks in Mediaeval Europe.

A romance about Adolf Hitler in his artist years but they dont let you know its him till several episodes in.

These ideas all sound fascinating! I think they could make for some very interesting anime, or really, just stories in general.

Queenxaa said:
Seidou_Takizawa said:

Just out of curiosity, what does this ban encompass? Does it have to do with the military aspects, or the specific country of Germany in that time frame? I think it might be interesting to see a WWII type story from a different perspective, like maybe a family living in England, or something like that.
Aug 9, 2016 7:58 AM

Jan 2008
More horror, I love horror. And gore, lots of gore. Rin daughter of darkness, elfen lied, Nihon Animator hammerhead sort of gore. Survival horrors as well, like zombie apocalypse, or any sort of apocalypse. I can't think what else.
Aug 9, 2016 8:41 AM

Apr 2013
As long as I get my school settings I am happy haha.

but as for suggestions:

- more urban/low fantasy. Idk stuff like Noragami,where gods and whatnot exist within the normal world.
- Any fantasy setting that does not revolve around pseudo medieval isekai and rpg game mechanics.
- dystopian world
- sci-fi thats not mecha or space opera
-not really a setting but... maybe a romcom kind of show that involves dating sim mechanics (kind of like kaminomi)
- Any modern day setting outside of Japan ( like for example anime set in American highschool)
Aug 9, 2016 9:00 AM

Apr 2015
IndigoBangarang said:
- more urban/low fantasy. Idk stuff like Noragami,where gods and whatnot exist within the normal world.
- Any fantasy setting that does not revolve around pseudo medieval isekai and rpg game mechanics.
- dystopian world
- sci-fi thats not mecha or space opera)

Basically thought about these

Not really genres I like but maybe I would like to see more of those
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

60 by Ricchan__ »»
4 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 1 hour ago

10 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
12 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

84 by BilboBaggins365 »»
31 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
37 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

50 by Bruh69XD »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.