Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 16, 2016 9:54 AM

Apr 2014
Meh episode...the fun will start after this season, it's still being build up.
This season will end with a cliff.
Jun 16, 2016 10:31 AM
Sep 2015
So the next episode is supposed to be the grand finale? Because it certainly doesn't feel that way.
Jun 16, 2016 10:33 AM

Oct 2014
kenji really reminds me of Luffy
Jun 16, 2016 11:41 AM

Jan 2014
I'm a bit sad they left out the best part of chapter 13 :/

In the manga, the detectives wondered why a little girl like Kyouka was in the agency.

Jun 16, 2016 1:20 PM

Apr 2010
Nice they wanted to bring comedy back... But I'd rather them to do it otherwise. The 2nd part of pathetic. I hope we'll have something interesting next ep.

Jun 16, 2016 2:24 PM

Jul 2007
Shimai_ni said:
Heiwajima Shizuo rip-off.

Completely different personality
completely different characterization and circumstances

Or are all characters with super-strength Shizuo rip offs now?

TiaDee said:
So the next episode is supposed to be the grand finale? Because it certainly doesn't feel that way.

Mid season finale before the break. Second cour after the break.
Jun 16, 2016 5:04 PM

Dec 2015
I was waiting for Kenji's power since the first episode, I'm so happy to discover how funny is this character !!
Jun 16, 2016 5:36 PM

Aug 2015
That end though. Lmao.
Jun 16, 2016 7:04 PM

May 2015
Fai said:
I guess I'll have to split my post into two parts due to how the episode was presented.

First, an unsuitable profession for her

As the person in shadows describes it to Higuchi, Mafia is pretty much business with violence being the means to conduct them. Port Mafia is not some world-ending villain or alien threat. They are businessmen. The guys we have seen so far, including Akutagawa and Higuchi? They are cogs in the machine answering to higher powers who only care about profit.

The first half of the episode is all about humanizing those cogs and showcasing the humanity in them. Especially Akutagawa and Higuchi.

Ichyo Higuchi in real life was one of first important japanese female writers. She was born in a poor family with her father being pretty much a failure. She fell in love with classical japanese literature, yet her education proccess was awkward as it was quite uncommon for a "lowborn woman" to be studying, especially when most of her peers were from noble rich families. She was haunted by it constantly and only felt at peace when writing her diary(essentially talking to herself that way). She evnetually fell in love with her mentor, a love that he never returned to her, which led to her very frequently using unrequited love in her writings as a motif. After a lot of struggle she finaly got recognized as a writer and spent her last years of her life writing about problems and tragedies of japanese women. A lot of her works explore the "unimportant cogs in the machine" so to say.

Its not surprising that Higuchi in Bungou stray dogs is facing a similar dilemmas. She is someone who feels inferior in mafia and lacks respect from others. She can only be true to herself, being alone. In a way she is VERY similar to Akutagawa - looking for acknowledgement but being unable to appear vulnerable to anyone but herself . She joined mafia because of her admiration of Akutagawa so its no surprise she would put her life on the line to save her.

In a way I guess that is what impressed Black Lizard group in the first place - as Ryuro said they had no reason to respect her as superior. And they got that reason by seeing her suicidal dedication to her comrade. Not to mention that Hirotsu Ryuro's real life stories had that style of romantic tragedy, so the character most likely is a sucker for stuff like that.

Hell, the story we see being told in this first part, the story of Higuchi and Akutagawa? That might as well been written by real Higuchi since it has all of those elements - unrequited love, struggle with inferiority, being a woman who suffers, the struggle of the underdog to rise above. Its all there. Higuchi put all of herself into saving her mentor and in turn, not only the two found acknowledgement in each other, but she was also able to get her "break" in the mafia world - gaining acknowledgement and possibly respect of the other underdogs like her - the black lizard group.

Second an Ecstatic Detective Agency

Oh Miyazawa Kenji. The Japanese writer and Buddhist famous for his admiration of countryside and simplicity of life, as well as his children's stories. Even though he grew up in a rich family, his writing was strongly focused on the common folk. Its only fitting that someone like that would be depicted as a character embodying naivety and simplicity of living in the countryside.

Kenji of Bungou Stray Dogs is naive, simple countryside boy, who also carries the wisdom and strength of a sohei(budhist warrior monks). He wields a considerable power, but chose the peaceful approach, believing sincerity and innocence to be stronger than fist. He is the type of character who does not display anger or vengeance, but is still willing to use his power to right a wrong or punish the wicked.

Overall its interesting how this episode, in its two parts essentially characterizes characters on both sides of the current conflict.It makes sense since we know already that a third group is about to enter the fray and it is a great build up for the finale

Just wanted to say thanks for your insightful commentary every episode. Your research gives extra depth for the readers without having to do their own <3

Higuchi is a sweet soul. Can't help but feel for her. Wake up Akutagawa and stop obsessing over ppl who don't give two shits about you u___u I used to despise him but after seeing him so weak and lonely I just feel really bad for him.

Kenji is definitely more hilarious than expected! Shizuo comparisons due to the stop sign thing lol

I hope we get more Chuya in the last ep ;;

"Everyone wants to carve their scars into someone else; everyone wants to connect with someone else." -- Sonozaki Noriko, Kiznaiver
Jun 16, 2016 7:23 PM

Jan 2013
Kyouka with a maid outfit looks so cute :3
Damn who thought that Kenji is so strong when gets hungry xD
That ending xD He is back!

Can't believe there is only 1 more episode, thank god we have a second season.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 16, 2016 10:18 PM
Sep 2015
Fai said:
Mid season finale before the break. Second cour after the break.

Yeah I just found out after having posted this when I checked the 'favourite character' thread. Initially I saw 12 episode on the show's main place and I thought that's it.
Jun 17, 2016 12:38 AM

Sep 2009
Creeperface said:

In the manga, the detectives wondered why a little girl like Kyouka was in the agency.

I was waiting for that scene too! The same thing happened in ep 10. In the manga Dazai laughed when Chuuya did his girly impression but in the anime, it was silent. I have nothing against Bones for making slight changes but it feels like they're removing the punchline of the jokes :/
Jun 17, 2016 12:52 AM

Mar 2016
velvetprayer said:
Creeperface said:

I was waiting for that scene too! The same thing happened in ep 10. In the manga Dazai laughed when Chuuya did his girly impression but in the anime, it was silent. I have nothing against Bones for making slight changes but it feels like they're removing the punchline of the jokes :/

Lol was waiting for that too, it would look funny with pres doing it in anime, but it's not something that important. They had to fit 2 chapters in 1 episode in order to adapt chapter 15 and 16 ( born back ceaselessly into the the past 1 & 2 i'm guessing ) in ep 12 , hyped for it cause youknowwho will show up and it will be kind of a cliffhanger for season 2 stuff
Jun 17, 2016 2:17 PM

Jul 2015
God dang it, I knew they were gonna start off like that, I've watched this anime enough now to know when they are gonna pull something like this, and the worst part was that her being in a maid outfit was my initial thought as to what was gonna happen.

Pretty nice to see what goes in the mafia's side for a change. But those guys the blond girl was fighting have some horrible aim, like, seriously horrible aim. It just me that were getting info on Kenji finally, after ten episodes. I feel that is really late, but finally having seen him in action, I was quite surprised and enjoyed finally getting to know him. Good episode in my opinion, but I have to wonder whats suppose to happen next episode since it's the last one.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jun 17, 2016 2:41 PM

Dec 2012
Kenji is a copy of Finny from Kuroshitsuji. From design to power.
Jun 17, 2016 3:41 PM

Jun 2012
To be honest the first half of the episode was really bad... Akutawa and Higuchi relationship is still the same, we don't get any background info. If the episode didn't show them both, we would still know what we knew from the first episodes, Higuchi is weak and blindly follows Akutagawa around for some reason. Are they skipping something important from the manga?
Jun 17, 2016 7:11 PM

Dec 2012
That machine gun physics though. Higuchi and the gang are supposed to be dead by now but it's anime so whatever :D
allo
Jun 17, 2016 10:04 PM
Apr 2016
Next week's episode is called "Borne Back Ceaselessly into the Past" and it's a quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby"....

...hmm...
Jun 18, 2016 4:25 AM

Jan 2014
Nice episode, I really like Kenji's philosophy, just be sincere and eventually everyone around you will be sincere too! ... well I guess the real world doesn't work that way.

I waited to a full view of Kyouka in her maid outfit, this was a bit of disappointment, well good thing she gets well with everyone in the agency.

These mafia group is all about senpai-this, senpai that.
Jun 18, 2016 5:09 AM

May 2011
I love how there's that music that plays whenever the President is present. Would love to see him go all out against some though enemy.
Jun 18, 2016 11:28 AM

Dec 2012
Kenji is the best :D. Kyouka finally joined them, I am looking forward to see her fight.
Jun 18, 2016 4:19 PM

Jan 2015
Kenji/Luffy is really awesome :D !!!
Jun 18, 2016 5:32 PM

Sep 2015
AivanK said:
Kyouka with a maid outfit looks so cute :3
Damn who thought that Kenji is so strong when gets hungry xD
That ending xD He is back!

Can't believe there is only 1 more episode, thank god we have a second season.

That is awesome indeed that we get a 2nd season. Kyouka is one of my favorite characters in this anime. The main character has also grown on me. This anime gets better every week
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jun 18, 2016 11:24 PM
Sep 2015
Kenji's the best. I burst out laughing during the scene with the gang.
Jun 19, 2016 1:01 PM
Aug 2013
Kenji is pretty cool, that's quite the strategy of solving cases.
Jun 19, 2016 8:51 PM

Jan 2013
QcK_Dagger_HeaT said:

That is awesome indeed that we get a 2nd season. Kyouka is one of my favorite characters in this anime. The main character has also grown on me. This anime gets better every week

He has grown a lot since the beginning of the anime, but Dazai is still one of my favourites.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 20, 2016 12:17 AM
Mar 2012
Quite fun episode but ending soon. So far the camera direction got style (lol president's serious face intercut). Nice to see Miyazawa Kenji references, Ihatov hometown, tho I got those from HaruChika already. Nice quotes & cow motto, very Buddhist like the author himself. A very happy calm Shizuo.
Jun 20, 2016 8:03 PM

Jun 2013
He looks like Finny from Kuroshitsuji but has the strength of Heiwajima Shizuo from Durarara!! Then again no need to mention Heiwajima Shizuo since Finny has superhuman strength too.
臭い-
Jun 22, 2016 5:26 AM

Nov 2012
lmao, kenji is a pretty amusing guy.
Jun 22, 2016 10:25 AM

Feb 2015
DAMN! this show is getting more interesting and intense every episode and every charactization xD i really like it a lot. moreover we got a new character joining the agency xD now that is interesting imo. i like the girl btw xD calm and mysterious. ma type xD

but was that really all of his characterization ? just the revelation of his power ? nothing more ? well, i think it was a pretty good episode :D

i wonder how they will end this show xD
looking foward to it.....--
wait! it already aired after i finished watching this episode LOL xD
Jun 22, 2016 6:57 PM

Dec 2012
Lmao that chill Shizuo rip.
Jun 23, 2016 6:39 PM

Nov 2015
I liked Kenji's personality, and Kyouka's maid outfit was adorable.

Jun 24, 2016 2:45 AM

Jul 2009
Kenji is so cool! haha, naive and strong!
Jun 24, 2016 10:50 PM

Apr 2009
The tone of this show is all over the place. I can't take the Port Mafia seriously, when they have really idiotic members. Higuchi is really their superior? Really? Nevermind, I remember that episode where those three were introduced and they easily thrown from the window of the Agency, but still this girl is just as bad. Her plan was to just go in guns blazing, with no protection, against a bunch of guys in armor. I was really hoping that she'd die, but of course she was saved. Have to keep that senpai notice me storyline going.
MiraiLinkJun 27, 2016 12:41 AM
Jun 25, 2016 5:08 AM

Jun 2010
Great episode, Kenji is adorable! :DD
I really don't like Ichiyou for some reason. I hope she doesn't love Akutagawa, because that would be super boring. Admiring is okay.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2016 2:14 PM

Jul 2013
Nice episode. The beginning with maid Kyoka was cute, but then the reaction of the agency boss was even better.

Higuchi's story was heartwarning. Really liked that even if they are the bad guys, the mafia still has a close bond between them and they know to appreciate each other. I also liked how Black Lizard helped her not for being her superior, but for seeing her worth of having that position for her decission to save a comrade in unequal circumstances, unlike Akutagawa, to which they only obey because they fear him. The ending with Akutagawa greeting Higuchi was really sweet.

Kenji's story was funny. Him owning some thugs in the streets with super strenght reminded me a bit from Shizuo.

And Dazai at the end, lmao.
Jun 28, 2016 5:36 AM

Jul 2008
They are going all out now on the boys love lol :D really enjoyed this episode, that is why this series is my second fav behind Re:Zero in its season :)
Jun 30, 2016 6:30 AM

Oct 2008
Watching Higuchi & group saving Akutagawa feels like they ain't antagonists...
Damn Kenji is uber powerful...only when he's hungry...
4/5.

Jul 1, 2016 8:47 AM

Aug 2012
Higuchi's unwavering will and devotion was really astonishing. She stole the spotlight for this episode. Second half was meh. Farm boy was useless in battle unless he's hungry ╮(╯▽╰)╭
Jul 1, 2016 10:51 AM
Jun 2016
Kenji is just the cutest little thing
Jul 3, 2016 10:00 AM

Apr 2012
Ohh so much cliche in the first story -.-" But the second one was hilarious xDDD
Jul 5, 2016 8:16 PM

Mar 2015
Shizuo, is that you?!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 7, 2016 8:10 AM

Oct 2011
I guess it's nice for the cow kid to get a little development, but I feel it's kinda late in the series to be spending half of the second-to-last episode developing the most uninteresting supporting character.

I'm way more interested in the Port Mafia stuff. I don't know why they're still shoving these episodic-style missions this late in the show...

And I seriously can't get the humor in this series. It goes back and forth between super serious and chibi wacky nonsensical humor.
Jul 8, 2016 10:23 PM

Sep 2015
willardhwright said:
Angry_Always said:

The agency were FORCED to save Atsushi. Tanizaki was worried but didn't say anything to try and convince anyone, Ranpo as you said couldn't give a shit and Kunikida was 'trapped' a.k.a made up some bullshit reasoning involving the reputation of the agency. These are meant to be our heroes.

The gangsters had NO obligation to help save Akugatawa, none at all. They did it to help a comrade. And I'm not saying all the mafia are good, quite the contrary, but these in particular have a far superior sense of camaraderie.

It'd be absolutely fine for gangsters to let a comrade die but they decided not to. The Agency, on the other hand, were on the whole fine with letting Atsushi die alone. With Akutagawa's and Atsushi's situation here so similar how can you not see the difference?

The Agency are meant to be helping people, only the leader and the girl wanted to help him.

I think it's GOOD the mafia have multiple layers. What I'm saying is I dislike how on the other side of things how shallow some of the agency are. The 'dastardly gangsters' went out of their way to save a life, the 'heroic agency' didn't give a shit.

In Kuni's case, it isn't "some bullshit", it's the very way he view the world. Try to see it like Kiritsugu in fate/zero. If someone die tring to save Atsushi, then not only it's one more death but it's also one less people in the agency, which could cause even more death (even civilian ones) later. While it is debatable as a PoV, it isn't "right" or "wrong"; the idea of a necessary sacrifice in the long run exists. The question is whether this sacrifice is really "necessary" or not. But that's the very idea; Kunikida isn't "bad" or anything close in ANY way, but even the running gags about him are about how narrow-minded he is. There's no doubt that for him it was the best thing to do and he didn't like it either (hell, look at how he reacted when dazai killed the girl, Kuni wants to avoid people dying, period). nobody is saying that he is a genius. He does have his flaws, which is the point, humans are not perfect. But there's a difference between being wrong and not caring about a friend of you dying. Extremely Narrow-minded, yes. Just like port mafia where only Higuchi and one unit was interested in saving Aku. But that's it; it's not a matter of "good guys" or "bad guys", Kunikida just isn't able to live otherwise, without a "set of rules" for him to follow. The duty and the rules comes first, the feelings come afterward, but he definitely wanted to save him, that' obvious enough. And it even happen IRL; sometimes as a way to avoid responsabilities or because of a lack of self-confidence.

Rampo and Kuni were the only ones against saving Atsushi and the only one who needed to be "forced" to do it. The only difference is that they DIDN'T have to be forced to do it in the DA since the president cares more about his men than the mafia who are just businessmen. It's hard to say that they were forced to do it when their superior was ok with them to begin with. The only person that is "really questionnable" is Ramp but that's because for him he could just as well live surrounded by vegetables or dools, except for the president, and it would be the same. Kuni wanted to but didn't have the "balls" to go against the system, and the others wanted to anyway.

The gangsters did it because of Higuchi, who probably loves Aku. Who knows if black lizard would have done anything without her. Maybe, since "he respected his power", but maybe not, since he's not in a state where he can use it anyway. The main person concerned with this was Higuchi; the others tried to tell her not to go at the beginning too, rather than saying her that they'll go too. Sure, they did in the end, but only after someone else made the first step because of her personal feelings. Which isn't that different from the DA.
And once again that's the point, just because you are [x], it doesn't mean that you don't have any principles.

And the thing is, from the people we saw on the agency only Rampo was COMPLETELY "against" it (more like he didn't see the point of doing it). And that's it. and it's sure that you have less time to shine doing the rebel "against the laws" when "the laws" are on your side. It's more impressive when you see it from the Mafia because they really had to go against their orders (or rather their absence of orders). When it comes to the agency, it's a problem that didn't exist so of course it feels less impressive in a "rebellion againt the orders" PoV

Also I agree with others that this episode is a bit "less impressive" than the others, but it's definitely not bad and we cannot have a climax in every single ep. (the last shows that tried this ALSO were bashed anyway, so....). It's still good, not AS good as the last eps but what goes up must come down.

I apologize if this is late, missed the notification.

I see what you are saying about Kunikida, that reasoning is part of his character and we do see later that he is genuinely concerned for Atsushi, Rampo is also a little like a 'sherlock' in the way he doesn't really care about anyone.

When I say 'forced', I don't mean literally. The gangsters acted upon their own beliefs and volition, the agency members were told to by their good natured boss. Kunikida even defied it at first before being instructed to do so by the leader.

If you watched the rest of the anime, Atsushi goes on to claim he owes the agency loyalty and kindness because of "how far they went to save him". In anime this is usually honorable and good, however to me it simply falls flat as the agency didn't WANT to save him.

I'll say the nurse and blonde hillbilly weren't there when he was abducted but that still means he doesn't really owe them. The only ones he owes in my opinion are Dazai, the blue haired sister and the leader.

Kunikida in my opinion is inconsistent, he cared so much for a woman's life who was considerably a bad person, yet he is fine to let Atsushi suffer whilst kidnapped. I understand you mentioned 'members may have died trying to save him' but not sending members would mean he either definitely dies or is kept captive.

I have this way of thinking, the only thing that matter in the world are morals and good will. People could go about not caring for one another, dying after a hundred years or less and carrying on the human race but it doesn't matter. Generations of machines could do the same. So Kunikida's purely logical way of thinking is something I cannot easily empathize with.

I understand all your points but I can't fight the bad taste left in my mouth from the lack of camaraderie in the agency and clear contrast with the unexpectedly honourable members of the mafia.
Jul 12, 2016 1:34 AM
Jan 2016
I'm confused.

I thought Black Lizard won't come back on screen since they're defeated.

I thought they're sentenced to death or at least in prison.
Jul 15, 2016 12:11 AM

Sep 2013
supereyedrops said:
I'm confused.

they were never captured.... the agency beat the crap out of them, but they didn't actually turned them over to the police(atleast from the looks of it)..... instead they just threw them out of the window.
Jul 15, 2016 2:54 AM
Jan 2016
xso111 said:
supereyedrops said:
I'm confused.

they were never captured.... the agency beat the crap out of them, but they didn't actually turned them over to the police(atleast from the looks of it)..... instead they just threw them out of the window.

Okay. I think I was too narrow minded.

Maybe the government doesn't have any evidence for Black Lizards' crimes so they're not punished.

And I'm not sure either whether their massacre is a crime or not.

Update.

But they did attempt to murder Detective Agency members. I think they should be punished.
Jul 17, 2016 4:02 PM

May 2012
This episode was a bit weaker, and with only one episode left I really do wonder how they'll finish it next!
Jul 21, 2016 4:00 PM

Feb 2010
Reverse Shizuo wtf

Jul 26, 2016 2:47 PM

Apr 2015
Cute girl spinning around in a maid outfit?! HNGG

Nice episode overall.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2016

191 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2016

203 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 11:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.