Forum Settings
Forums

Why are Tsundere characters usually the main love interest?

New
May 6, 2016 1:59 PM

Apr 2016
I think most people who have seen romance/comedy/SOL/school/harem anime have observed that it's usually the Tsundere character that in the end steals the heart of the protagonist even if he wasn't into her in the first place.

I've noticed this mostly in the popular ones. I don't want to name them as it counts as spoilers for people who haven't seen them. I'd appreciate it if others would do the same and would not spoil anime for anyone no matter how long ago it was aired.

I know that it makes for good story telling to have characters fight or dislike each other in the beginning and over time slowly become affectionate towards each other. It's easier to write about, and gives writers and characters a platform to build a story upon. It's a common trope not only in anime, but in most forms of story telling.

What I would like to know is that, is there a particular reason why this trope is so common and popular other than the reasons I mentioned above? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 6, 2016 2:01 PM

Sep 2015
Because they never get together. Except when they do, I hate when they do.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

May 6, 2016 2:08 PM

May 2015
Because it feels so satisfying to break the hard shell of a crab to taste the soft meat inside....
May 6, 2016 2:11 PM

Jan 2016
I guess it's more fun to watch a male character slowly reach the *dere* part of a tsundere.
May 6, 2016 2:16 PM
Jul 2015
-Senpai- said:
Why would you hate that????? -.- -.-
May 6, 2016 2:23 PM

Sep 2015
DumneGOD said:
-Senpai- said:

Because tsundere characters are objectively the worst girl.
NasalShark said:

May 6, 2016 2:25 PM

Sep 2015
It seems like Western audiences, who generally have more experience in dealing with the opposing sex during their youth, have a much stronger grudge against tsunderes than their East Asian counterparts.
I hate nice girls.
If they so much as say hello, it stays on my mind.
If they return texts, my heart races.
The day one calls me, I know I'll look at my call history and grin.
But that's just them being nice.
People who are nice to me are also nice to everyone else.
I almost end up forgetting that.
If the truth is cruel , then lies must be kind.
That's why kindness is a lie.
I gave up on always expecting it,
always mistaking it,
and even hoping for it.
Someone who's' worked so hard at being alone doesn't fall for the
same trick twice.
I'm a veteran at this.
I’m the best when it comes to losing.
That's why I'll always hate nice girls.
May 6, 2016 2:26 PM

Aug 2014
A tsundere done well is quite lovely (Taiga), especially if the MC is not so dense that it takes him 1 million yrs to reach the dere part.
May 6, 2016 2:27 PM

Sep 2015
I always thought that the main love interest was the basic one without personality and is nice, then the next most common one is the childhood friend, an third is the tsundere character.

Rarity is Best Pony!
May 6, 2016 2:27 PM
Jul 2015
-Senpai- said:
DumneGOD said:

Thats its true i dont like them too but why do you hate when the girl gets with the boy?? Because its the tsundere?
May 6, 2016 2:32 PM

Sep 2015
DumneGOD said:
-Senpai- said:

Thats its true i dont like them too but why do you hate when the girl gets with the boy?? Because its the tsundere?

I'm gonna come clean with you, random guy. I don't care, I really don't. I never think twice before posting and I never will. I don't expect to get into an argument for something as stupid as my posts. That's it, the truth it's out.
NasalShark said:

May 6, 2016 2:34 PM
Jul 2015
-Senpai- said:
DumneGOD said:

I'm gonna come clean with you, random guy. I don't care, I really don't. I never think twice before posting and I never will. I don't expect to get into an argument for something as stupid as my posts. That's it, the truth it's out.
Yes, its your opinion and i respect it.
May 6, 2016 2:35 PM

Feb 2016
It's become a cliche and the general audience just likes it, I guess. Also, most males are depicted as liking girls that are "hard to get". I personally hate Tsunderes, they really turn me off. The whole concept of it is shit imo.
May 6, 2016 2:35 PM

Jan 2013
Because mierda sells, nothing more nothing less.

Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 6, 2016 2:43 PM

Nov 2008
Exhalant said:
It's become a cliche and the general audience just likes it, I guess. Also, most males are depicted as liking girls that are "hard to get". I personally hate Tsunderes, they really turn me off. The whole concept of it is shit imo.

Then why not have an idol love interest? Far less annoying and is the ultimate hard to get girl.

May 6, 2016 2:50 PM

Oct 2015
It might have something to do with tsunderes being easy to develop and watching a cold, hard-to-get bitch turn into a sweet, caring lover.
But don't take my word for it, I'm just talking out of my ass.
May 6, 2016 2:51 PM

Feb 2015
overall people think it's a cute thing. like when they get blushed if other character state some fact or as a question like "you like him, don't you ?" and they get blushed, then started to get mad, rampage with a cute, blushed face, many people found that really cute including me. for example : Mikasa Mikoto from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun and Toaru Majutsu no Index (don't worry, it's not something worth as a spoiler for the series)

and there is a possibility that many people might like it because it's funny to watch.
May 6, 2016 2:54 PM

Apr 2016
Tarotist said:
Because it feels so satisfying to break the hard shell of a crab to taste the soft meat inside....

That's a very good analogy.

Exhalant said:

I don't hate the concept. I'm also not someone who absolutely loves it. The thing about Tsundere characters is that they're usually not 'hard to get'. The MC and Tsundere mutually dislike( or it's just the Tsundere that dislikes the MC and the MC is indifferent ) each other, and both or just the Tsundere over time develop romantic feelings. So, I personally don't think it's the 'hard to get' aspect of it as I feel there is none.

Tevens said:
overall people think it's a cute thing. like when they get blushed if other character state some fact or as a question like "you like him, don't you ?" and they get blushed, then started to get mad, rampage with a cute, blushed face, many people found that really cute including me. for example : Mikasa Mikoto from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun and Toaru Majutsu no Index (don't worry, it's not something worth as a spoiler for the series)

and there is a possibility that many people might like it because it's funny to watch.

It does create awkward and funny situations and it's something that's quite easy to write in comparison to something that would be complex. I guess people are simple and like simple things.

QABJAB said:
I always thought that the main love interest was the basic one without personality and is nice, then the next most common one is the childhood friend, an third is the tsundere character.

Yes, all of them are common tropes, but I think the Tsundere is usually in the forefront and wins the MC in the end most of the times.
bikers123May 6, 2016 3:06 PM
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
May 6, 2016 3:42 PM

Dec 2012
Cause tsundere is the most appealing obviously. Plus they sell well in japan lol.
May 6, 2016 6:15 PM

Nov 2015
CapitalistGod said:
I guess it's more fun to watch a male character slowly reach the *dere* part of a tsundere.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with this.
Another reason might be that people are naturally attracted to stronger personalities, which tsunderes tend to have.
May 6, 2016 6:19 PM

Mar 2016
Because when they quite being all tsun they are really Sweet and cute, well it depends on the character really, some tsunderes are just unbearable (did i wrote that right?) to watch specially the ones that hurt the MC by the minor of things.
I saw somewhere that making a tsunderes fall in love with you its like a achievement but the tsunderes nowadays fall in love with the guy in the first episode or first arc, that really throws away all the concept of the character, nowadays the tsunderes will fall in love with the guy right on the beggining and is painfull as fuck watching they negating the crush in their on minds

May 6, 2016 6:20 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Because reaching the center of their hearts and revealing the soft sides they have are the best.
May 6, 2016 6:23 PM

Apr 2016
Tsunderes can be pretty interesting to watch and tend to have lots of character development over time as they begin to show more kindness and love.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2016 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
Because they rule, Asuka, Makise, Taiga etc.
May 6, 2016 6:58 PM

Mar 2016
-Senpai- said:
DumneGOD said:

Your coments really combine with your fórum pic

May 6, 2016 8:35 PM

Oct 2009
Because of the thrill of the chase! :D

May 6, 2016 9:11 PM

Mar 2015
What I would like to know is that, is there a particular reason why this trope is so common and popular other than the reasons I mentioned above? What are your thoughts on the matter?
As far as I have seen, the female main interest usually "problematic". And tsundere is the most easiest "problematic" character to write.
As for my opinion, I think the author want to describe the male lead as understanding person.
EsperMay 12, 2016 7:01 PM
This salad is salty favored
May 6, 2016 9:21 PM

Nov 2014
Because it appeals to otakus and they are really weird.

May 6, 2016 11:01 PM
Jan 2015
Because a well written and developed tsundere is already a guaranteed best girl.

Examples: Hitagi, Kurisu, Yukino, Rin, etc.
My Queens

May 6, 2016 11:20 PM

Oct 2009
hoopla123 said:
Fuck female tsunderes

We need more male ones.

Ya better start reading more Shoujo manga then xD

May 6, 2016 11:27 PM

Aug 2015
Because the Childhood friends are cursed ×_×
May 6, 2016 11:54 PM

Nov 2009
-Senpai- said:

This is the essence of MAL forums. ^_^

QABJAB said:

"basic one without personality and is nice" is usually reserved for the male harem lead. You would not see it often in girls these days, unless they're also childhood friends.
Main girl in harems is usually either Manic Pixie Dream Girl, or Tsundere. Or both.
May 7, 2016 12:37 AM

Mar 2016
Idk but i always ship the tsunderes with the male even if shes not my fav char they are just too cute
May 7, 2016 12:39 AM

Dec 2014
Tarotist said:
oh wow, i'd love to eat that crab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 7, 2016 12:44 AM

Jul 2013
Because people think it's cute how they are deluding themselves with their feelings for the MC and love their conversion from "tsun" to "dere".
May 7, 2016 12:50 AM

Mar 2016
Lol I like all but tsundere.........
May 7, 2016 12:55 AM

Dec 2014
_Yato_God said:
Lol I like all but tsundere.........
ur a yato god and u don't like a tsundere??!? ur a pleb!
May 7, 2016 1:01 AM

Feb 2010
thought guys prefer noisy emotional girls since it's easier to start conversations with them
May 7, 2016 4:42 AM
Jan 2016
bikers123 said:

It lets you stretch the "will they, won't they?" part of the romance to ridiculous lengths. A tsundere girl can fall in love in the first episode, but it won't be before halfway through the series when she accepts it as a fact and until almost the very end that she is finally ready to confess those feelings to her love interest. Then you also get the fact that those feelings she feels from the beginning gradually change her personality, she starts warming up to her object of affections which makes the male MC slowly and gradually fall in love with her, so that by the end of the story, he's ready to confess too.
If we even get that far, because anime being what it is, we often don't get a conclusion at all.

It also works very well together with general denseness of both MCs involved. The male MC is too dense to pick up on changes in the way the tsundere in love acts towards him, and the tsundere is too dense to realize her feelings are actually those of love and wont accept such a possibility for a long time. The biggest example would probably be Nisekoi, but that manga has such accumulation of density from all the characters that you would expect it to start generating such gravitational pull as to form a new "solar" system with all the volumes in its center and a bunch of planets in orbits around them.

Personally, I like tsunderes done right, but I absolutely abhor tsunderes done wrong. Recently I've watched three seasons of Zero no Tsukaima, and God, it's painful. I don't think I will be able to sit through S4, even though it's supposed to give a conclusion to the story. At this point I'm so fed up with both the MCs that I don't even care to see it through.
AskortiMay 7, 2016 4:47 AM
May 7, 2016 4:44 AM

Dec 2014
It's probably because of how popular they are.
May 7, 2016 6:03 AM

Dec 2015
Cause most of the fanbase are guys that like them. If mean gets to be together with the tsundere they can better phantasize about being in the same position as the main = more sales.
May 7, 2016 6:06 AM

Apr 2015
Because they are all masochist, and I suppose the author thinks it is interesting seeing the MC slowly break through their shell.
May 7, 2016 7:10 AM

May 2016
The Taming of the Shrew Complex would be a likely reason
May 7, 2016 7:23 AM
Nov 2014
Because tsunderes are abusive, masochists love being abused, and there are a lot of masochists. Thus making tsunderes popular.
May 7, 2016 7:25 AM
Apr 2016
Jaarin said:

It be great to have an anime that follows that Play closely in terms of the process of getting the girl to show their Dere side. It be refreshing and we get to see feminist in uproar as well.
May 7, 2016 7:28 AM

Dec 2015
Dont know but nonetheless tsundere bitches are most boring characters i can think. Only suspassed by a generic male mc
May 7, 2016 8:03 AM
Jul 2018
Because otakus have an awful taste.

Relinquished- said:
Because they are all masochist
cookies0 said:
Because tsunderes are abusive, masochists love being abused, and there are a lot of masochists. Thus making tsunderes popular.

This isn't true in my opinion. Tsundere often abuses male mc at the tsun-stage, but their point is to become needy and vulnerable in the end - and even before that, tsunderes are almost without exception also hailed as "capable" or "strong" characters in their series, yet they are unable to control their emotions and actions when the male mc is involved. So if anything, mc wooing the tsundere is a power fantasy.
removed-userMay 7, 2016 8:06 AM
May 7, 2016 8:06 AM

Mar 2016
- because they're all too cute
- because the MC are too masochist and didn't notice the other love interest
- because the story plot say so

And honestly i hate that
May 7, 2016 8:11 AM

May 2016
NoobStomper said:
Jaarin said:

It be great to have an anime that follows that Play closely in terms of the process of getting the girl to show their Dere side. It be refreshing and we get to see feminist in uproar as well.

Hehe, not sure about the provocation part, but I suppose we do have the examples of RomeoXJuliet and Zetsuen no Tempest. Shrew was just kinda to show how tsundere's as (main) love interest has been around for centuries rather than to suggest a particular reason as to why they were popular in the first place =P

I suppose when it comes to archetypes I tend find its not so much as case that one is inherently "boring" or even "popular" but rather they offer a base framework.

The advantage of Tsundere is that you can understand the character type without investing substantial time into developing their "durational" character...basically you know the characters personality without needs to spend that much time with (introduction is usually enough). However the danger is if the anime relies on it meaning theirs no novelty to the character or their placement in the narrative (what you would call "boring").

However, by using the archetype you can either contradict or mold said archetype towards to a novel purpose (purpose in this instance bieng main love interest)...I mean take Senjougahara's arc from Bakemonogari on through the series, or even Michiru in Gisaia no Kajitsu.

I don't think the tsundere is particularly overused or is unique from other archetypical frameworks, its just that over time the particular novelties have become familiar. Whether or not familiarity is good or bad depends on the particular purpose...but its a bit generalist to either condemn of praise any on use of a tsundere or similar archetype as a love interest.

Or, to put it another way, a tsundere character when first met will probably a unique and novel experience, like meeting Jack the Ripper. But its not necessarily a cut above the rest when you encounter them a second time...unless you discover Jack the Ripper was in fact Ian Holmes all along! Basically they can be a provocatively novel alternative to the normal love story coupling (princeXprincess).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How much anime is too much

ST63LTH - Today

39 by SuperAdventure »»
20 minutes ago

» What exactly are the perks of having waifu?

SgtBateMan - Today

35 by FanofAction »»
29 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - May 2

75 by Lucifrost »»
34 minutes ago

» who was your first/best anime waifu?

Coldsp33d - Today

27 by SuperAdventure »»
37 minutes ago

» when introducing yourself to someone new how likely is "I watch anime" to get them interested in you?

Coldsp33d - Today

28 by Dumb »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.