female characters most loved, revered, and respected by women

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 2, 2016 12:51 AM

Apr 2013
JewellTH said:
JustALEX said:
Sailor Moon maybe?

Thank god anime doesn't have feminist characters though...

There are anime with feminist characters. Can't think of any examples from the top of my head but they exist.

Wouldn't Prison School and maybe even Kaichou wa Maid-sama count?
Feb 2, 2016 1:23 AM
Jun 2015
Gator said:
JewellTH said:

There are anime with feminist characters. Can't think of any examples from the top of my head but they exist.

Yes, they do. A character who defends women's rights count as feminist characters.
Feb 2, 2016 1:28 AM

Jun 2015
clazziq said:
I wonder if Bishamon from Noragami would be a good example. I'm a girl but I don't really follow all this feministic stuff, yet I think making "the most powerful god of war" a woman was quite a nice touch. And I'd skip the context of "war", and just focus on the thing that she is undeniably presented as wielding quite a significant power in the series.

Well, IMO when we are talking about powerful deities, gender doesn't matter. Gods are not powerful because of their gender. They are powerful because they are gods. Their form is irrelevant.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 2, 2016 1:35 AM

Jun 2013
Riza Hawkeye from Fullmetal Alchemist.
Feb 2, 2016 1:36 AM

May 2015
HMM so meek type girls doesn't appeal to them interesting
Feb 2, 2016 1:50 AM
Jan 2016
If you were to conduct polls, I highly suspect you'd find that "fangirls" and "feminists" would have very different lists of favorite female characters.

Consider Bella from Twilight as a non-anime example...
Feb 2, 2016 1:53 AM

Jun 2015
JewellTH said:
Gator said:

Yes, they do. A character who defends women's rights count as feminist characters.

Sigh... Why are you doing this?

Prison school in particular has nothing to do with "women's rights". The 3 women there just hate men.
Although, I wouldn't mind being there.
YES I SAID IT
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 2, 2016 2:27 AM
Jun 2015
katsaroulhs said:
JewellTH said:

Prison school in particular has nothing to do with "women's rights". The 3 women there just hate men.
YES I SAID IT

Well, that isn't feminism, it's sexism. I thought Prison School had a feminist in it though.
Feb 2, 2016 2:49 AM
Mar 2012
JewellTH said:
Gator said:

Not really? Any character who is not demeaned or overly sexualised (beyond whatever the men of the series are) could be argued to be a character who promotes feminism by giving females a character they can identify with.

There are lots of characters which you could argue are feminist by their nature - all they have to do is exist for a purpose beyond their gender really. Of course the better written they are the more 'feminist' they are but that comes down to the skill of the writers too since there are lots of badly written male characters...

Also Bishamon from Noragami has the fatal flaw of wearing a fucking bikini top for NO reason. It's not in keeping with her character, she never acts like someone who actively wants to show off and it's just poor character design.
Feb 2, 2016 4:57 AM

Sep 2014
Koko from Jormungand.

Gonna love that girl.
Feb 2, 2016 5:10 AM

Nov 2009
kurikinton said:
HMM so meek type girls doesn't appeal to them interesting

I guess meek type girls are realistic, but not very inspiring.
Or maybe they're just an idealized picture of what a girl should be, but real girls are more like Binbougami's MC.
Feb 2, 2016 5:12 AM

Apr 2013
flannan said:
I guess meek type girls are realistic, but not very inspiring.
Or maybe they're just an idealized picture of what a girl should be, but real girls are more like Binbougami's MC.

In what way are real girls more like Ichiko? xD
Feb 2, 2016 5:50 AM
Jan 2016
Kreion said:

Not really? Any character who is not demeaned or overly sexualised (beyond whatever the men of the series are) could be argued to be a character who promotes feminism by giving females a character they can identify with.

There are lots of characters which you could argue are feminist by their nature - all they have to do is exist for a purpose beyond their gender really. Of course the better written they are the more 'feminist' they are but that comes down to the skill of the writers too since there are lots of badly written male characters...

Also Bishamon from Noragami has the fatal flaw of wearing a fucking bikini top for NO reason. It's not in keeping with her character, she never acts like someone who actively wants to show off and it's just poor character design.

- There is a difference between a "character that promotes feminism" and a feminist character.
- Are you saying that women can't identify with characters that are demeaned or sexy?
- Why does someone need a reason to wear any particular piece of clothing, other than preference?
Feb 2, 2016 6:18 AM
Nov 2014
katsaroulhs said:

Well, IMO when we are talking about powerful deities, gender doesn't matter. Gods are not powerful because of their gender. They are powerful because they are gods. Their form is irrelevant.

Of course in general you're right, but we still clearly see their forms in this anime, so it must bear some meaning. Besides, if I remember correctly, one of the main characters (I guess Hiyori) commented how she didn't think Bishamon's human form would be female. It's definitely not a neglected thing, so Bisha's femininity is indeed an important factor in the mangaka's specific creation of the character. So I guess we can look at her in terms of being "powerful woman" from our own mortal perspective :)
Feb 2, 2016 6:19 AM

Jun 2015
clazziq said:
katsaroulhs said:

Of course in general you're right, but we still clearly see their forms in this anime, so it must bear some meaning. Besides, if I remember correctly, one of the main characters (I guess Hiyori) commented how she didn't think Bishamon's human form would be female. It's definitely not a neglected thing, so Bisha's femininity is indeed an important factor in the mangaka's specific creation of the character. So I guess we can look at her in terms of being "powerful woman" from our own mortal perspective :)

Yes, but she doesn't act like a feminist. She is noble and ferocious. She is also pretty fucking hot.

I get what you mean though.
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Feb 2, 2016 7:25 AM

May 2012
Maybe no one watches Monster much any more, but I'm always surprised that Nina Fortner never appears in lists like this. She is a remarkably brave and intelligent young woman who must confront a disturbing past. I thought she was quite admirable myself.

But then I'm a guy, so my views aren't really relevant here.
Feb 2, 2016 7:31 AM

Aug 2015
Maybe like:
Wendy (Fairy Tail)
Muse [u's] (Love Live)
And the girls from kids magical girl/ idol anime maybe?

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Feb 2, 2016 7:48 AM

Mar 2014
Kreion said:
JewellTH said:

Woah, I completely agree, especially about Bishamon, this is the fundamental problem with how people view feminism in media, focusing on "empowered" or sexist characters rather than well written ones. Bishamon is what I'm referring to when I say improbably hot and/or scantily clad characters.
mouser9169 said:
- Why does someone need a reason to wear any particular piece of clothing, other than preference?
Because based on what we know about the character, she wouldn't be wearing that. "Personal preference" is something that can add to a character, but it doesn't with Bishamon, it's just character design sacrificed for fan service.
Feb 2, 2016 7:52 AM
May 2015
Rei Ayanami from Evangelion series is my favorite female character ever.
Feb 2, 2016 8:27 AM

Mar 2014
Nagirah said:

As a person who usually gets bothered by fan service, Bishamon doesn't bother me at all. As explained by someone above, it fits well with her character and personality. She acts strong and confident with her femininity and I think she would be a good candidate for the type of character this thread is looking for.
I guess my problem is that I think her character design looks bad, rather than it being overly sexualized, Noragami is a shonen, so I think it's obvious why they draw her like that, but there are certainly worse offenders. I don't think it fits her personality though.
Feb 2, 2016 9:16 AM

Nov 2014
Noda Megumi from Nodame Cantabile;
Kino from Kino's Journey;
Motoko Kusanagi from GITS;
Noa Izumi from Mobile Police Patlabor;
Serika Itou from Space Brothers;
Saeko Shirasu from Flag;
Oscar François de Jarjeyes from Rose of Versailles;
Eva Heinemann from Monster;
Paprika from Paprika;
Re-l Mayer from Ergo Proxy;
Alpha from Yokohama Shopping Log;
Sachiko Fujinuma from Erased;
Meiko Inoue from Solanin;

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting other female characters that have been well written and are not there just to serve as a main interest or to fill in the quota just to have a present female character.
You see none of the listed female characters are bland, and for this reason is why I enjoy them. They're written in a way that they're self-aware, they have their own I, they make decisions on their own, they're flawed, and most importantly, have human traits, they're not just tropes as many other female characters seem to be.
In each of the respective shows, they're unique in their own way and not just cutesy dolls for wish fulfillment, and, they're not overshadowed by their male counterparts.
Feb 2, 2016 9:51 AM

Feb 2008
Izumi Curtis and Olivier Armstrong ( FMAB)
Saber and Tohsaka Rin ( Fate series)
Oscar Francois de Jarjeyes ( Rose of Versailles)
Haruhi Fujioka ( Ouran Highschool Host Club, she is not physically strong, but she is not afraid to tell things straight) .
Sango ( InuYasha)
Motoko Kusanagi ( GITS)
Revy, Balalaika, Roberta (Black Lagoon)
Tsunade ( Naruto)
Belldandy ( Ah! My Goddess !)
Sailor Mercury and Sailor Jupiter ( Sailor Moon)
Farangis ( Arslan Senki)
Saiya (Blood +)
Marlene ( Blue Gender)
Tsukishima Aoba ( Cross Game)
Melissa Mao ( Full Metal Panic !)
Bisque ( Huner x Hunter series)
Holo ( Spice and Wolf)
Kou Shuurei ( Sayunkoku Monogatari)
Balsa ( Seirei no Moribito)
Mogami Kyouko ( Skip Beat)
Tenjou Utena ( Revolutinary Gril Utena)
Misaka Mikoto ( To aru Kagaku no Railgun & Index series)

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Feb 2, 2016 9:59 PM
Feb 2016
What about the chicks from ikkitousen like hukufu
Feb 3, 2016 2:44 AM
Dec 2015
The female characters of Studio Ghibli perhaps? Most of them are strong (and not so in a contrived manner), face their fair share of trials and tribulations, and have a sense of realism to them and thus are generally relatable.
Feb 3, 2016 2:45 AM

Apr 2015
Don't really know about what girls thinks but I think most girls will like badass girls like Ryougi Shiki.
Feb 3, 2016 2:51 AM

Jul 2012
You said:
Don't really know about what girls thinks but I think most girls will like badass girls like Ryougi Shiki.
She's dull. Uninteresting.

SeijiSensei said:
Maybe no one watches Monster much any more, but I'm always surprised that Nina Fortner never appears in lists like this. She is a remarkably brave and intelligent young woman who must confront a disturbing past. I thought she was quite admirable myself.

But then I'm a guy, so my views aren't really relevant here.
I love Nina too!

JewellTH said:
katsaroulhs said:

YES I SAID IT

Well, that isn't feminism, it's sexism. I thought Prison School had a feminist in it though.
Prison School is not pro-gender equality at all. It's femdom at best, but not feminism.

quorras said:
Yona from Akatsuki no Yona is in my opinion a really respected character by both sides. In tumblr she has a huge fanbase and I myself see her as a big heroine. Yona is absolutely amazing because she improved a lot in the series (manga/anime doesn't matter, you can clearly see her development.)
+1111
Feb 3, 2016 3:42 AM

Jul 2013
Celty from Durarara is one of the few females characters (and characters in general) that I saw receiving very few hate. Also, Saber from Fate to a lesser degree.
Feb 3, 2016 4:06 AM

Jul 2015
Just like 99.9% of posters already said, the female cast of Black Lagoon is pretty cool.
In particular, Roberta, after watching Roberta's Blood Trail.
Clare from Claymore, Hana from Wolf Children, Noriko from Gunbuster (starts out as female Shinji). Those are all cartoon characters that I would look up to if they were real.
Feb 3, 2016 4:17 AM
Dec 2015
KOU SHUUREI ♥♥ from Saiunkoku Monogatari ♥♥
before ALice got to WonderLand she had to falL!

Feb 3, 2016 4:33 AM

Jul 2015
Chihaya from Chihayafuru
Shirayuki from Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Misato Katsuragi and Ritsuko Akagi from Evangelion
The women from LoGH
And a lot already mentioned characters. Being influenced by men or being weak don't make a female character bad but I usually like the badass ones more. As long as they are more than a simple archetype.
Feb 3, 2016 5:14 AM
Mar 2012
Nagirah said:

As a person who usually gets bothered by fan service, Bishamon doesn't bother me at all. As explained by someone above, it fits well with her character and personality. She acts strong and confident with her femininity and I think she would be a good candidate for the type of character this thread is looking for.

I'm not bothered by fanservice when appropriate - but this really isn't. Nothing about Bishamon's character makes us think that in any situation she would chose to where a bikini top over something more substantial. She never comes across as someone who likes to show off, she may be proud of her position and her apperance but she is so in a military sense which would mean she should by all rights be wearing something more akin to a uniform. So no, I wouldn't say it fits with her character at all - she looks far better when we see her in the past and she's wearing...clothes.

I should also point out that no other character of the series really wears clothes that ill-fitting either, Hiyori is a fan of wrestling so she's no stranger to showing skin but doesn't go around in a leotard.

Finally it's even worse that Bishamon does, multiples times, wear something that isn't a bikini top and looks better there - it's just her introduction and whenever she is wearing that and she slowly kind of moves away from that outfit. Hell, Kofuku would make more sense wearing a bikini because she likes to mess about and naturally causes problems, Bishamon just doesn't. Perhaps if she were a less military person or someone who seemed to enjoy their sexuality more (I'm having trouble finding the words so I hope you get my point there) but she gets flustered at the hand-kiss from Yato for god sake.
Feb 3, 2016 5:46 AM

Mar 2013
Natalia Kaminski (Fate Zero)
Hotaru Tachibana (Aoharu x Kikanjuu)
Canaan & Alphard (Canaan)
C.C (Code Geass)
Naomi Misora (Death Note)
Sanae and Nagisa Furukawa (Clannad)
Kajika Burnsworth (Hanasakeru Seishounen)
Akane Tsunemori (Psycho Pass)

Just a few of my favourites. Strong, smart and inspiring characters. I don't think they've been mentioned yet ... I don't really tend to like female characters in anime etc so they're more noticeable to me when they DO pop up.
Feb 3, 2016 5:57 AM

Dec 2015
Eh, I'm not exactly sure what female characters are loved by other women. But, I know it's most certainly ones that are independent and badass.
Feb 3, 2016 5:58 AM

Nov 2014
Nasu Kinoko's girls. Independent chicks that don't need help all the time. Though they're all killers...
Mayuka said:
You said:
She's dull. Uninteresting.

Lies.
Feb 3, 2016 6:28 AM

Jul 2013
If only women would actually answer the damn question instead of men trying to say who their favorite anime girl is.
Feb 3, 2016 6:35 AM

Jul 2013
Those Sailor Moon sluts probably. Fangirls are always going on about them.
Feb 3, 2016 8:40 AM

Apr 2015
What about this one? This anime is way more feminist than any animu kek
Feb 3, 2016 8:43 AM
Oct 2012
Boa Hancock. Although guys love her too.
Feb 3, 2016 9:07 AM

Dec 2015
For me though, any cute moe characters is loved by me.
Feb 3, 2016 9:47 AM

Dec 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
If only women would actually answer the damn question instead of men trying to say who their favorite anime girl is.

Yeah, but excluding me xD
My preferences are mostly (oddly enough) very popular waifus xD I like badass/smart characters and those that have very weird but interesting psycho moments (like 3 out of 4 girls in my favs xD).
I can like them despite their "clothing preference" (I love Yoko from TTGL, Shinobu and Black Hanekawa from Bake etc.).

And I can't stand charas like Re-l Mayer or Haruhi from Ouran. Too bitchy for me to consider their strong and independent part of personality.
Feb 3, 2016 10:28 AM

Dec 2013
Gally from Gunnm,Kanna from 20thcb
Feb 3, 2016 11:19 AM

Aug 2014
_Peksi said:
I'm guessing Balalaika would be a top contender.
She's pretty much the most dangerous and influential person in Black Lagoon.
Heck she's probably the most badass female anime character ever.

Agreed - Balalaika is a serious badass woman who you would not want to mess with or even be in her bad books because if she doesn't want to kill you then her comrades most certainly will.

Truly a woman who should be respected

Feb 3, 2016 2:34 PM

Apr 2014
Really depends on the person, everyone has their own preferences in what constitutes a great character so i doubt it's possible to find any strong consensus.
Personally, I'm not a fan of those overly bad ass female protagonists like Revy, Shiki and Re-l Mayer and find them cold which makes it difficult for me to form any attachment. I think they have character traits that appeal more to the male demographic overall.

SeijiSensei said:

Yeah she's great, love her personality, her attitude and her clothing style.
Feb 3, 2016 3:19 PM

Dec 2015
Any independant females characters that don't depend or merely depend on the MC. I think people hate the ones that can't make their own choices and need help for that purpose.

Personally, the female character i respect the most is Eto from Tokyo Ghoul.
Feb 3, 2016 3:22 PM

May 2014
I would expect Mikasa from AoT to be mentioned. A strong female warrior who doesn't show off her body and is respected by most people. Most anime-viewing females I know also have a lady boner for her, so that too.
Feb 3, 2016 4:00 PM
Jan 2016
Hana from Wolf Children!

She was amazingly strong to raise two children on her own, literally sacrificed everything for them, never complained once, wanted them to live a happy life and gave them the environment to choose (without her pushing hem one way or the other) whether they wanted to be a wolf or a human.

She was awesome. And made me appreciate my own mom for all that she has done for me.
Feb 3, 2016 4:17 PM

Sep 2015
SeijiSensei said:

I must disagree. At the beginning, Nina was portrayed like a strong woman, but then she cried all the show, doing nothing relevant besides suffering.
Eva was the strong woman of the show, even if she was a bitch at the beginning. She redeems herself and tries to do something to help, even being pretty powerless. She had the guts that Nina lacked. But I don't think she's liked by most females, though.

Ahoy_NATO said:
I would expect Mikasa from AoT to be mentioned. A strong female warrior who doesn't show off her body and is respected by most people. Most anime-viewing females I know also have a lady boner for her, so that too.

She's hated by many females, though. Probably the fact that she goes full yandere for Eren makes her less likable.

Replying to this thread, well, I see many females liking Michiko Malandro from Michiko to Hatchin (aka, this girl http://myanimelist.net/character/15889/Michiko_Malandro). It doesn't surprise me, she's totally waifu tier.

You just lost the game
Feb 3, 2016 4:52 PM

Jan 2015
I like Matoi Ryuuko because she's strong, independent and she knows what she wants and goes for it. But it'd probably be a weird answer I guess considering half of the time she's running around in lingerie
Feb 3, 2016 6:04 PM

Feb 2013
Hmm, from what I've seen,

Celty from DRRR.
Haruhi from OHSHC
Kino from Kino's Journey

Are the first that come to mind. The cast of Sailor Moon also has this reputation.
Feb 3, 2016 6:54 PM
Oct 2015
Josine said:
I like Matoi Ryuuko because she's strong, independent and she knows what she wants and goes for it. But it'd probably be a weird answer I guess considering half of the time she's running around in lingerie

You know what... She should be considered a feminist icon for that.

Why should a womans body get in the way of who they are? Does sexuality some how suck the personality out of women?

The fact she comes across as a strong character desite the fanservice is something feminists should be celebrating.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Best remake

JoeChip - 6 hours ago

24 by MinakoBestGirl »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it just me or is the Shoujo anime category pathetically small?

AngelicSuccubus - 1 hour ago

6 by Doukanon »»
16 minutes ago

» If the world was ending tomorrow

JoeChip - Yesterday

39 by MinakoBestGirl »»
19 minutes ago

» did your anime watching habits change over time gradually ?

ame - Jun 17

29 by FanofAction »»
21 minutes ago

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei? ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Jun 17

51 by Starfallash »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.