Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 24, 2016 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode felt kinda slow with Vivi in the first half until....attack of the BETA.

The amount of flashbacks is somewhat repetitive but I feel like they are important to get the point about the violence of this show. Aww Irisdina and Theodor:

Nice use of music this episode.
Katia's suffering but hey, Theodor promises to protect her~
Jan 24, 2016 8:32 AM

Nov 2013
Kurt was badass as fuck.
Jan 24, 2016 10:25 AM
Feb 2015
MKusanagi said:
Kurt was badass as fuck.

Agreed he's probably the best character in the show. But still the anime compressed and skipped out lots of events.
Jan 24, 2016 11:06 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The second half was pretty enjoyable I guess. However, I couldn't care less about the characters in this anime.

3/5
Jan 24, 2016 11:19 AM

Jan 2015
That same nightmare, and finally make Theodore become honest about his true "feeling".
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jan 24, 2016 11:28 AM

Sep 2014
Things continue to happen pretty fast, in my opinion. Everything feels compressed. Not too sure about how it is gonna turn out.
Jan 24, 2016 11:37 AM

Jan 2015
Daaamn, another character died...

These BETA things are scary.

ANGRY2011 said:
Things continue to happen pretty fast, in my opinion. Everything feels compressed. Not too sure about how it is gonna turn out.

I don't think so. The pace is slow.
Jan 24, 2016 12:10 PM
Sep 2014
It seems Theodor's sister is joining the team. Pretty sure she is a spy of Stasi.
Jan 24, 2016 12:29 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Those Stasi guys know everything. I can sense some forthcoming pain for the 666th squadron.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 24, 2016 12:33 PM

Sep 2014
Didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I do, but I like the pacing and the fact that they managed to make feel for Kurt in such short screentime.
Jan 24, 2016 12:35 PM
Aug 2010
Nice episode, pretty sure Lise will be a Stasi spy.
Jan 24, 2016 1:06 PM

Feb 2015
A better episode than last week, still don't care much for the characters though.
Jan 24, 2016 1:17 PM

Apr 2010
I have to say that the Stasi is completely insane.
It's made up of people blinded by power to the point where they even make decisions that is bad for the population and the country.
This episode pointed that out greatly i can understand using people as a sacrifice to protect or gain something but what i don't understand is purges and not evacuating a city.
Basically what their doing with tactics like that is wiping out your work force future soldiers and pilots which will eventually be bad for the country.

At first i wanted to compare the Stasi with the Gestapo but even the Gestapo would not make decisions like this.
Jan 24, 2016 1:30 PM

Jul 2015
It seems war never changes: the biggest battles are fought behind the screens. OH The Epilogue

Jan 24, 2016 1:46 PM

Jul 2015
Really cool to see Theodor and Irisdina cooperating. The base where Katia was at got fucked by the BETA and it was sad to see Vivi and Kurt die. Good thing Theodor got there in time. Kurt is a badass even in his final moment. Really enjoying the OST. The Stasi are insane.
Jan 24, 2016 2:08 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Dat character development for Theodor.....I'm glad that this happened this soon because I dunno if I was going to be able to take his sorry dick attitude anymore.....His scene with Irisdina was great

The stuff with Katia was pretty tragic and I feel bad for her considering that she had to witness the horrors of this kind of war first hand and ended up losing the people that saved her life

Still I'm glad that now the team is United with the exception of Sylvia who I know is going to fuck things up one way or another because of her stuck up attitude but hopefully shellncome around and then they can destroy those Stasi cunts

RIP Kurt and Vivi
Jan 24, 2016 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
I can't wait for people to cosplay Muv Luv characters. I feel that since Irisdina hugs Theodor, the 666th TSF Squadron ladies will be jealous of her. Especially Katia.
Jan 24, 2016 2:21 PM

Sep 2014
This show could be so much better. It's kind of baffling because it fails to deliver when it comes to somewhat simple, yet crucial aspects to make a story like this really shine. It's surprising because many of these things were actually strong points in MLA.

• Make the characters more interesting and unique. They're too bland for a franchise like this. Viewers need to be a lot more attached to them for a show like this to reach its full potential when shit hits the fan. So make them stand out as unique people with different talents, interests, burdens, etc... because what I'm seeing right now only scratches the surface.

• Make character development believable and not so sudden. There has to be more psychological struggle for a proper "breakthrough" to happen. Without struggle, there isn't much develop to happen in the first place. So gradually foreshadow things.

• I love ruthless scenes and gore, but everything feels a little too disposable here. They're not as dramatic or impactful as they could be. Once again, better foreshadowing and making us care for these characters a little more would help a ton.

It's hard to feel anything when you introducing characters and then proceed kill them in the same episode. The scene in episode one particularly shows how brutal everything can be in this series, but then everyone proceeds to analyze the situation as if a machine had broken down. People in a team like this will either feel somewhat attached to one another or keep the distance to avoid pain, both of which are great themes to explore in dark, psychological settings.

Change the things above and we have an 8-9+ series in our hands. Why settle for something mediocre? I wonder if shome of these things are done properly in the novel.
FlamepriesTJan 24, 2016 2:24 PM
Jan 24, 2016 2:24 PM

Jul 2007
ANGRY2011 said:

It IS way too fast. They are blazing through material adapting the basic story without bothering to add, well, everything beyond that.

This could really have benefited from 24 episodes and even then would be rushed.
Jan 24, 2016 3:02 PM
Dec 2015
again neat of them to use actual german on the pc's

overall the flashback where kurt promisses chocolate to vivil made me take a hit right in the feels. why does awesome characters die off so soon?

nice episode overall 4/5
Jan 24, 2016 3:13 PM

Oct 2008
Aversa said:
It's made up of people blinded by power to the point where they even make decisions that is bad for the population and the country.
This episode pointed that out greatly i can understand using people as a sacrifice to protect or gain something but what i don't understand is purges and not evacuating a city.
Basically what their doing with tactics like that is wiping out your work force future soldiers and pilots which will eventually be bad for the country.

At first i wanted to compare the Stasi with the Gestapo but even the Gestapo would not make decisions like this.

I suppose you aren't from one of the previously communist countries.
But if you want a living example, you can check out how North Korea operates.

Either way this show is seriously underrated, not 10/10, but def enjoyable.
Jan 24, 2016 3:21 PM

Apr 2015
Afropanda202 said:
again neat of them to use actual german on the pc's

overall the flashback where kurt promisses chocolate to vivil made me take a hit right in the feels. why does awesome characters die off so soon?

nice episode overall 4/5

I didn't know that they used german on the pc's. I thought the (german)sub group has translated it into german xD

Anyway this anime is pretty good for now :)
Jan 24, 2016 4:11 PM

Jun 2015
I have to say, I'm surprised at how good this episode was, when compared to some of the crap I had to live through in Muv-Luv.

Is it just me or was Kurt the most compelling character so far? Kinda sad that he died already. That's how good character design is done, and I hope they'll port some of that quality over to the lead cast.

I was about to drop this series, but I guess it redeemed itself with the third episode.
Jan 24, 2016 4:30 PM

May 2015
Salute, Kurt. That was a pretty touchy moment. Shit got bloody right there, when those shit BETA attacked. Not a bad episode, but I'm still not liking some of the characters. And shit Stasi should just get destroyed already.

Jan 24, 2016 4:36 PM

Jul 2012
Definitely has been getting better each week, This episode was a lot better because of the character development is finally here. Theodor has finally found his resolve and will stop being a little dick to everyone and we learn more about Irisdina and also what happened to Katia's father. It was good for Katia to finally see the horrors of war so now she will be ready for it in the future. Too bad for Vivi and Kurt who was a total badass right to the end. Stasi seem to have something planned and Lise is here as a spy for the stasi I think and I can't wait to see how that will be in the next episode with Theodor seeing her.

Here is my full review on the episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI5vnN_lOQ0&feature=youtu.be
Jan 24, 2016 4:42 PM

Apr 2013
Next episode is going to be interesting. Can't wait to see theodor's reaction.
Jan 24, 2016 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
Some intense battles there.

Damn kurt was one badass dude, even in the limited scene time he's probably one of the best male characters.

I feel like throughout this series Irisdina is more of a main character than Theodore in terms of plot importance.
Jan 24, 2016 5:29 PM

Oct 2013
Pham lives! Kurt & everyone else at the fort dies though...but at least he went out with a bang. *salutes*

It's easy to see how Theodor's breakthrough was rather rushed, though it wasn't actually bad. Overall, the show is still vastly underrated.

Didn't expect to see Theodor's sister to come to them, although since she was seen with the Stasi in ep one it makes sense for her to infiltrate squad 666 as a spy. Expecting her to join Irisdina group after seeing her bro's here though(or die trying, this show's rather grim after all).
Jan 24, 2016 5:47 PM

Feb 2014
Kurt Best Guy ... Best Scene

And again many German Types ... perfect producer ;3

And Lise ... not kawaii enough
Jan 24, 2016 5:56 PM

Mar 2008
Farabeuf said:
Those Stasi guys know everything. I can sense some forthcoming pain for the 666th squadron.

Hopefully there'll be plenty of juicy despair before the end.
Jan 24, 2016 5:58 PM

Apr 2015
Vargr said:

NO KIDDING. I'm viewing this show within a vacuum with no knowledge of the novel nor Muv-Luv. It's mature, it's war, it's real. It's excellent so far to me. Not a 10 by any means, but at least a solid 7 or 8. The fact it's overall rated under a 7 is blasphemous to me given some other things airing this season that are rated far higher.
Jan 24, 2016 6:33 PM

Aug 2014
Nice episode. This is one of the few shows that completely focuses on story, which is actually pretty good, but it's evident the anime as a whole could be handled a lot better. Theodor's shift in goals came a bit too quick, and the characters should be fleshed out more. Still the most underrated anime of the season, though.

Kurt's badass death was almost completely identical to Carlos' death from Resident Evil:

Seems like the little sis is here.

4.5/5
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Jan 24, 2016 6:33 PM

Sep 2014
I don't know why some of you guys think this is underrated.

The characters aren't particularly interesting in this adaptation (the novels may be different in this regard though) and their development has been rushed so far, so most people won't feel attached to them. On top of that, it lacks impact.

A series like this needs to hit hard. The MLA visual novel inspired SnK and look how popular SnK is. I find it baffling that these Muv Luv spin offs don't hold a candle to MLA or SnK.

There's still hope the visual novel is actually good though, because the ratings are pretty good. However, the number of readers on vndb is admittedly very few, so it's just not possible to rely on them as of now. Too bad I can't compare them right now, since it's only available in Japanese and it'll still take me a month or two until I can read it more comfortably.
FlamepriesTJan 24, 2016 6:36 PM
Jan 24, 2016 6:59 PM

Oct 2013
FlamepriesT said:

A series like this needs to hit hard. The MLA visual novel inspired SnK and look how popular SnK is. I find it baffling that these Muv Luv spin offs don't hold a candle to MLA or SnK.

SnK is something I'd like to call overrated. It looses major points when it comes to it's characters, especially it's main cast, which is always something not to be ignored. Eren & Mikasa are bland, one-dimensional characters from start to finish. One just wants to kill all titans, another is only interested in protecting her brother. Good thing there's the side cast though.

At any rate, in terms of main cast, I find Theodor, Irisdina & Katia more interesting than any of SnK's main. Even in the anime's rushed form, they come across as more dynamic characters than SnKs.

And Schwarzesmarken's at 4069 as of this post. We got shows like Asterix(and much worse) considerably higher. Heck, we got Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei at 850.
Jan 24, 2016 8:42 PM

Oct 2011
They are finally going to take down the Stasi !!!!!

Katia is the bridge between East and West

OMG his sister is here OMG
Jan 24, 2016 8:48 PM
Mar 2009
Not fucking Kurt... RIP best male chara

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
Jan 25, 2016 12:37 AM

Apr 2014
That was good. Only 3 episodes in and it feels like so much has happened.
Jan 25, 2016 12:49 AM

Aug 2013
I cant believe how underrated this show is. There's not reason it shouldn't be at least a 7.5

I'm not even a big mecha person, and even less of a WWII person, but this shit that I picked up on a whim had me hooked a minute in.

Everyone keeps bitching about the characters and how they aren't interesting and whatnot. How can that actually come out of your mouth and you don't feel stupid saying it? Half of the team hasn't had any screen time and you're bitching about how they feel bland and need development. How about you give it more than 3 fucking episodes? They just finished 1 arc for fucks sake.

Anywhooo.

I feel bad for Theodor. He's going to see his sister after so long, but it couldn't be any more obvious that she's a Stazi spy. We knew she was a member, and we know the Stazi is trying to destroy the group, so it's inevitable. Question is, will she remain loyal to the Stazi or not?
Jan 25, 2016 1:17 AM

Jan 2015
Theodor's sister in the preview with that smile probably is a stasi spy
Kurt ded. He was an alright character
Who will die in the next ep
Onee-san lived
Theodor promises to protect Katia, probably a romance growing in there or with Iris
Overall it was an alright episode 2.5/5
Jan 25, 2016 2:54 AM
Apr 2011
Jonesy974 said:
I cant believe how underrated this show is. There's not reason it shouldn't be at least a 7.5

I'm not even a big mecha person, and even less of a WWII person, but this shit that I picked up on a whim had me hooked a minute in.

Everyone keeps bitching about the characters and how they aren't interesting and whatnot. How can that actually come out of your mouth and you don't feel stupid saying it? Half of the team hasn't had any screen time and you're bitching about how they feel bland and need development. How about you give it more than 3 fucking episodes? They just finished 1 arc for fucks sake.

Anywhooo.

I feel bad for Theodor. He's going to see his sister after so long, but it couldn't be any more obvious that she's a Stazi spy. We knew she was a member, and we know the Stazi is trying to destroy the group, so it's inevitable. Question is, will she remain loyal to the Stazi or not?

I guess the mainstream viewers(Ones that contribute to ridiculous scores on some shows) are not into it. Only Muv-Luv fans with higher expectations and elitist mindset are rating it now. MAL scores heavily relies on popularity and generous scores from mainstream viewers and that's why this show seems underrated.
Jan 25, 2016 3:14 AM

Oct 2013
firezero10 said:

I guess the mainstream viewers(Ones that contribute to ridiculous scores on some shows) are not into it. Only Muv-Luv fans with higher expectations and elitist mindset are rating it now. MAL scores heavily relies on popularity and generous scores from mainstream viewers and that's why this show seems underrated.

Then it's fate on MAL is as grim as it's setting... Hardcore MLA fans kinda seem to dislike anything Muv-Luv that's well, not Alternative(unless I'd be like, a perfect adaptation). That will sink it even further so that most of the mainstream MAL audience probably won't even give it a shot, and it'll probably end up being one of those shows only a few will know about.
Jan 25, 2016 3:15 AM

Jun 2013
poor Kurt and his sisster is a fucking spy you just know it
Jan 25, 2016 6:09 AM

Jan 2013
MKusanagi said:
Kurt was badass as fuck.

True, i actually enjoyed his scenes, i had hope that he would survive.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 25, 2016 6:11 AM

Jun 2013
I really like this series just after 3 episodes.
Character's development, fighting, emotions are great.
ryanstrikeJan 25, 2016 6:15 AM
Jan 25, 2016 7:02 AM

Nov 2011
Episode less compelling, but the story does not disappoint about what you saw and during it, but the change of Teodoro, I went to genius, too fast its exchange of ideas, although there for the right reasons, the metamorphosis was to take place with a labor much longer and tormented. Narratively not surprise me the latest deaths seen today, the previous series was a good teacher. Not bad drawings and animations, excellent soundtrack.
Jan 25, 2016 7:36 AM

Apr 2010
Vargr said:
Aversa said:

I suppose you aren't from one of the previously communist countries.
But if you want a living example, you can check out how North Korea operates.

I don't know exactly how they operated or still operate.
But if you look at the history with purges in the Soviet Union it mainly happened under Stalin's regime and arguably at times when he could afford to miss those numbers.
However here we are looking at a situation where a non-human invader is literally just a few kilometres away from the capital and seeing as the Beta have reached that far it also means that Germany has probably been cut of from the rest of the Soviet Union.
Which makes me doubt they can miss the people.
These tactics the Stasi is using looks like self destruction to me.
Jan 25, 2016 8:02 AM

Nov 2010
They are indeed the only communist part of Europe left, while the rest of Warsaw Pact had been destroyed/relocated to far east. I won't be surprised if in that desperation Stasi had no reason left to actually help defending the country and plotting something crazy like satanist ritual or something.

This could be executed much more better, but I guess I should not expect much with 7 LN in 12 episodes. That Kurt guy is cool, character changes are indeed forced too fast but if that means we will get into meatier part quicker in this limited time I'll be fine.

Overall quite good, a definite improvement from beginning. Starting to get into 8/10 territory.
Jan 25, 2016 8:42 AM
Jul 2015
dudes i tell you before we enter the point when shit hit the fan, this is ntr to the point of no return pure tragedy
Jan 25, 2016 10:14 AM

Oct 2008
so many fodder this episode...but wait...what!? that's her right!? Lise??
3/5.

Jan 25, 2016 12:57 PM

Jan 2016
What's wrong with this anime...god! It's the third time that I cry over someone who I don't really know in the anime SMH!
I cried first 2 times in first episode over Theodor's past and this blonde girl's death (which is totally crazy,because she was there for like 5 min! LOL)
And now I was crying over Kurt's death ;[ I can't !
I just realized that Sylvia and the blonde girl who died in first episode were polish rofl...I can see my compatriots aren't doing so well in this anime :/

And when the characters finally showed some good emotions Lisa shows up and I'm pretty sure she'll bring even more negativity to the show,which idk how I feel about it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

78 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 2:14 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 24, 2023 10:28 PM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2016

76 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 23, 2023 6:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.