Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 4, 2015 6:28 PM
Oct 2012
Ever since I finished HxH I have yet to find a shonen series to come close to it.

One Piece I have been told is an alternative, but watching just a few episodes seems to tell me that it lacks much depth.

Fairy Tail is just....it doesn't abide by the very rules it sets up, so all the worldbuilding and characterisation is thrown out the window for the sake of "power of friendship" victories that would otherwise be implausible given many of their circumstances. I finished the first season (175 episodes) and ended up feeling cheated.

Naruto is good for most part until after the death of the First Hokage; the story seems to dilute and their powers get more and more absurd over time. Then again it's been a while (5 years) and I would maybe give it another go...

I just abhor plot armor that doesn't make sense in the world that the author has established. With that in mind are there any alternatives besides the ones listed above?

ValourtoreOct 4, 2015 6:36 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 4, 2015 6:31 PM

Nov 2013
I don't think it's best anything. It's a good anime though.
Oct 4, 2015 6:31 PM

Oct 2014
Aiura is the best shounen.
Oct 4, 2015 6:33 PM
Oct 2012
AoT! Well yes it at least has a proper story going for it...

But what I really meant was your typical shonenfare (DBZ-mold) with strong worldbuilding and and adherence to its own laws and rules..something like HxH

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
_Ghost_Oct 6, 2015 5:31 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2015 6:38 PM

Nov 2010
No, it's probably in the lower half. If you want better shounen or battle shounen arrange my list by score and look for all them higher than HxH which is an 8 currently(to probably become a 7 after the next re-watch).
Oct 4, 2015 6:41 PM
Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
No, it's probably in the lower half. If you want better shounen or battle shounen arrange my list by score and look for all them higher than HxH.

Okay, you placed One Piece as a perfect 10/10 and Naruto: Shippuden as 9/10.

Is the writing and story in these shows superior to HxH? What gives them the edge?
Oct 4, 2015 6:43 PM

Nov 2010
Valourtore said:
IntroverTurtle said:
No, it's probably in the lower half. If you want better shounen or battle shounen arrange my list by score and look for all them higher than HxH.

Is the writing and story in these shows superior to HxH? What gives them the edge?
Yes and having better worlds, stories, characters, etc does.
Oct 4, 2015 6:45 PM

Apr 2015
That title would go to the Original Fullmetal Alchemist anime. Not brotherhood since I haven't watched it yet and don't know if it's better.

Albeit I've yet to finish HXH as well. Can't recall which episode but I stopped when one of Gon's friends cleaves a bunch of wannabe ants In half with a scythe.

_Ghost_Oct 6, 2015 5:32 AM
Oct 4, 2015 6:47 PM
Oct 2012
I've watched FMA:B which people believe to be superior to the first FMA, it has its good points with a proper closure and an overarching storyline but it did not pull on me as emotionally as HxH did - the arc with the dog-girl and the death of one of the protagonists (his name eludes me now) seemed rather forced...

_Ghost_Oct 6, 2015 5:33 AM
Oct 4, 2015 6:50 PM
Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Valourtore said:

Okay I will try my hands on One Piece till episode 20 or so to have a feel of it.

Sports anime.

Like Ping Pong the animation? I keep hearing things about this one but the art style blegh...maybe I'll get over it

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
_Ghost_Oct 6, 2015 5:34 AM
Oct 4, 2015 6:53 PM

Jul 2011
Lol, this again.
Oct 4, 2015 6:56 PM
Mar 2014
One Piece has a really slow start. I'm glad that you're willing to watch 20 episodes because that's about where it starts getting good. I find HxH pretty great as well, but I don't think any anime other than OP is better (than the HxH anime at least, since the manga is not nearly as good) in terms of BATTLE shounen. Though FMA/B do stand a pretty good chance.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Oct 4, 2015 6:58 PM
Oct 2012
Praland said:
Lol, this again.

Uh..this comment doesn't help much beside express your utter disdain for an honest question... Maybe suggest something instead that you feel would be a better fit?
Oct 4, 2015 6:58 PM

Jul 2012
Valourtore said:
mayukachan said:
Sports anime.

Like Ping Pong the animation? I keep hearing things about this one but the art style blegh...maybe I'll get over it

Like Major, Diamond no Ace, Haikyuu!!, Kuroko no Basuke, Eyeshield 21, Yowamushi Pedal.

Ping Pong is seinen. It's great but you need a particular mindset to appreciate it.
Oct 4, 2015 7:01 PM
Oct 2012
omfgplzstop said:
One Piece has a really slow start. I'm glad that you're willing to watch 20 episodes because that's about where it starts getting good. I find HxH pretty great as well, but I don't think any anime other than OP is better (than the HxH anime at least, since the manga is not nearly as good) in terms of BATTLE shounen. Though FMA/B do stand a pretty good chance.

Alright, OP it is.

What do you think about Naruto: Shippuden as well? Is it worth watching 220 episodes of the pre-timeskip Naruto for? I watched episode 167 (the battle between Naruto and Pain) just for the sakuga and was impressed with the fight...if there are similar fights of quality in the series I might be convinced to binge it all.
Oct 4, 2015 7:03 PM
Oct 2012
mayukachan said:
Valourtore said:

Like Major, Diamond no Ace, Haikyuu!!, Kuroko no Basuke, Eyeshield 21, Yowamushi Pedal.

Ping Pong is seinen. It's great but you need a particular mindset to appreciate it.

I might try Ping Pong and maybe Diamond since those two always creep back up in discussions.

Maybe Hajime no Ippo also because the theme of (logical) tenacity appeals to me
Oct 4, 2015 7:08 PM
Oct 2012
MegrezBelka said:
YU YU HAKUSHO.
Memorable characters, fights and story. It has a good dose of emotions and very funny humor.

Might go for this one after OP and Ping Pong...since it's also by Togashi from what I can see. I have watched a few episodes months ago but was actually put off by the main character.
Oct 4, 2015 8:05 PM
Feb 2015
As in terms of fighting shounen go? I haven't finished HxH 2011, yet. But, FMA: Brotherhood is probably the best shounen anime ever made. Most critics and elitists will agree with me on that.
Oct 4, 2015 9:20 PM

Apr 2011
Naruto is good for most part until after the death of the First Hokage;

what, the first hokage was dead before the series even started...
Oct 4, 2015 9:25 PM

Aug 2014
HxH 2011 is the best battle shounen I've seen so yes.

Valourtore said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I don't know about One Piece but Naruto most definitely doesn't have better writing, characters nor a more interesting world compared to HxH.
Oct 4, 2015 9:26 PM
Oct 2012
Valaskjalf said:
Naruto is good for most part until after the death of the First Hokage;

what, the first hokage was dead before the series even started...

Oops I meant the third(?)
Sorry 5 years of not watching takes some of it out of me
Oct 4, 2015 9:30 PM
Oct 2012
Voidling said:
HxH 2011 is the best battle shounen I've seen so yes.

Valourtore said:

I don't know about One Piece but Naruto most definitely doesn't have better writing, characters nor a more interesting world compared to HxH.

In my heart I sincerely doubt it too but I think I ought to have to look for myself before deciding. The battle in episode 167 with some clashing of ideals and atmospheric and animatic magic made me believe that Naruto can at times transcend its labels
Oct 4, 2015 9:33 PM

Aug 2013
No, FMA:B is just as good if not better than HxH.
Oct 4, 2015 9:34 PM
Oct 2012
FlameAlchemist25 said:
As in terms of fighting shounen go? I haven't finished HxH 2011, yet. But, FMA: Brotherhood is probably the best shounen anime ever made. Most critics and elitists will agree with me on that.

I'll admit FMAB has depth and purpose in execution but somehow its fights don't have the same strategic depth or insight as some of HxH's fights.

Firelilyx said:
No, FMA:B is just as good if not better than HxH.

I suppose it's the complexity of the battle system and the stratagems they device from it that makes it stand above FMAB for me

_Ghost_Oct 6, 2015 5:35 AM
Oct 4, 2015 10:03 PM

Feb 2013
Yeah it is amongst 100+ episode shounens, otherwise I'm more of an FMA kind of guy. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure too if it ever covers the post arc 3 stuff.
IntroverTurtle said:
Valourtore said:

They have no such things. Stop lying.
gedataOct 4, 2015 10:07 PM
Oct 4, 2015 10:15 PM

Aug 2015
IntroverTurtle said:
Valourtore said:

I can understand One Piece but Naruto? ROFLMAO. Naruto is like 75% filler and when you get a real episode, half of it is flashbacks.
Oct 4, 2015 10:16 PM

Feb 2013
Squirtroll said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I can understand One Piece but Naruto? ROFLMAO. Naruto is like 75% filler and when you get a real episode, half of it is flashbacks.

And when it's not flashbacks or filler, it's shit.
Oct 4, 2015 10:18 PM

Aug 2015
MetalxSoldier said:
what the hell hunterxhunter??? that shit is so 2014 lmao all about super dragon ball

summary of dbz, some alien from another planet comes, goku becomes super saiyan and defeat it. another stronger alien comes, goku becomes super saiyan 2 and defeat it. repeat.

One Piece imo is the best, 700+ episodes and it's still good. HxH, YuYu Hakusho and FMA: Brotherhood are also great but not that many episodes.
SquirtrollOct 4, 2015 10:22 PM
Oct 4, 2015 10:20 PM

Apr 2013
HxH 2011 is too inconsistent for it to be considered the best. If it remained as good as the phantom troupe, I'd agree, but in reality it has too many lows. When even its most praised arc starts with an undewhelming 25 episodes or so, it cant match up to other contenders which were solid all the way thtough.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 4, 2015 10:22 PM

Aug 2015
I think Soul Eater is one of the best shounens made, you will be impressed if you saw it
Oct 4, 2015 10:31 PM

Mar 2015
HxH isn't really a battle shounen. It's written mostly to a shounen demographic but the focus isn't on battles. That's why I see comparing it to stuff like YYH as apples and oranges. Personally, HxH is my favorite anime and don't really think I like the battle shounen genre.

It's better compared to the more "thriller" type like Parasyte, Attack on Titan, and Shinsekai Yori.
Oct 4, 2015 10:31 PM
Apr 2014
I would definitely put One Piece ahead of Bleach and Naruto, though it still falls short of Hunter x Hunter and FMA:B.

Definitely give Hajime no Ippo a shot.
Oct 4, 2015 10:34 PM

Feb 2015
It's hard to find good shonen, and many that are supposed to be good end up loosing their quality. I didn't like One Piece or Fairytale, and as you said about Naruto, it's good up to a certain point. I tried watching Bleach, but for me it fell into the same cycle as DBZ and I lost interest. When it comes to shonen, it's always about someone who starts off weak, and the show tells their journey to the top. One of the many factors I think aided in Hunter x Hunter's quality is that Gon, as well as many other characters, never cared about being "the best" per say. Gon didn't want to be Chairman of the Hunter Association, he wanted to find his father. Any shonen that deviates from normality can be good, so when looking for good shonen, ask around for something that doesn't follow the template an average shonen would follow.
Oct 4, 2015 10:34 PM
Oct 2012
megamachine said:
I think Soul Eater is one of the best shounens made, you will be impressed if you saw it

What is it about Soul Eater that makes it stand out from the likes of Naruto, Bleach etc
Oct 4, 2015 10:36 PM

Feb 2015
alawa said:
I would definitely put One Piece ahead of Bleach and Naruto, though it still falls short of Hunter x Hunter and FMA:B.

FMA:B isn't a shonen. They don't get stronger and aren't facing a struggle to the top.
Oct 4, 2015 10:39 PM

Mar 2015
Talidin1337 said:
alawa said:

FMA:B isn't a shonen. They don't get stronger and aren't facing a struggle to the top.

Shounen is a demographic, and happens to be the same demographic that the manga was written for. It's pretty obvious (at least to me) when watching the show.
Oct 4, 2015 10:40 PM
Oct 2012
geralt said:
HxH 2011 is too inconsistent for it to be considered the best. If it remained as good as the phantom troupe, I'd agree, but in reality it has too many lows. When even its most praised arc starts with an undewhelming 25 episodes or so, it cant match up to other contenders which were solid all the way thtough.

Tbh I felt that the Chimera Ant arc was superior for its depth and scale in the scheme of things - my main gripe with the Phantom Troupe is Kurapika's sudden power spike.
Why do you think PT arc is the best example of shounen battle at its best?
Oct 4, 2015 10:50 PM
Oct 2012
Talidin1337 said:
It's hard to find good shonen, and many that are supposed to be good end up loosing their quality. I didn't like One Piece or Fairytale, and as you said about Naruto, it's good up to a certain point. I tried watching Bleach, but for me it fell into the same cycle as DBZ and I lost interest. When it comes to shonen, it's always about someone who starts off weak, and the show tells their journey to the top. One of the many factors I think aided in Hunter x Hunter's quality is that Gon, as well as many other characters, never cared about being "the best" per say. Gon didn't want to be Chairman of the Hunter Association, he wanted to find his father. Any shonen that deviates from normality can be good, so when looking for good shonen, ask around for something that doesn't follow the template an average shonen would follow.

This is a good post if I ever saw one.
Outliers in the shounen battle genre...
Yes, Gon isn't ultimately interested in power per say, but then the story gains traction from his and his allies' power gains..
Maybe the point here is that good battle shounen have more than just a pursuit of power layer to them?

I'm not too sure about most of Naruto but some episodes that I watched in Shippuden have some sort of clash of ideals where neither character is truly evil or without logical motives (Pain's belief in peace and his methods to achieve them VS Naruto's need to defend his home for example) that have sparked some interest in me.

I think the reason why I can't get into FMAB as well as I can with HxH is that there is no palpable sense of progress in terms of power gains or strategic play.

Squirtroll said:
alawa said:

Please don't put Bleach and Naruto in the same sentence with One Piece.

Hajime is shounen/sports, I think the op is talking battle shounen.

That's okay; boxing is like fighting too, with progress from the bottom of the pile to the cream of the crop being a staple of all shounen

_Ghost_Oct 6, 2015 5:38 AM
Oct 4, 2015 10:57 PM

Mar 2015
Valourtore said:
I think the reason why I can't get into FMAB as well as I can with HxH is that there is no palpable sense of progress in terms of power gains or strategic play.

How about the "whatever the plot requires" battle system, general plot holes, and contrived storyline of the second half?
Oct 4, 2015 11:05 PM
Oct 2012
FloatingIdiot said:
Valourtore said:

How about the "whatever the plot requires" battle system, general plot holes, and contrived storyline of the second half?

Of which half of which show? HXH?
The only grating one I can call off the top of my head is the one with Killua and Gon suddenly going super saiyan..granted Killua's change did little to the plot and Gon's was played as a deconstruction of the classic Super Saiyansaiyan powerup from DBZ
Oct 4, 2015 11:12 PM

Mar 2015
Valourtore said:
FloatingIdiot said:

The only grating one I can call off the top of my head is the one with Killua and Gon suddenly going super saiyan..granted Killua's change did little to the plot and Gon's was played as a deconstruction of the classic Super Saiyansaiyan powerup from DBZ

I was talking about FMA:B. Killua didn't want to waste his charge on noobs, so his "power up" was more of a revelation than some kind of power up.
Oct 4, 2015 11:45 PM
Oct 2012
FloatingIdiot said:
Valourtore said:

I was talking about FMA:B. Killua didn't want to waste his charge on noobs, so his "power up" was more of a revelation than some kind of power up.

FMAB's second half does devolve somewhat into flawed execution of not-so-subtle philosophies but it does hold up well enough and have closure (as does HxH 2011).

Somehow with FMAB I am not at all attached to the characters
Oct 4, 2015 11:55 PM
May 2010
I prefer FMA:Brotherhood over HxH. I honestly don't see what all the fuzz about HxH is about. I got into 21 episodes and dropped it because it was kind of boring, nothing as emotional as FMA.
Oct 5, 2015 1:01 AM

Aug 2015
Valourtore said:
megamachine said:

What is it about Soul Eater that makes it stand out from the likes of Naruto, Bleach etc

I never said stand out, I said I think is one of the best. Maybe the reason is because I watched a lot of shounen and also I am an adult, so if find the way It is drawn and the impression it gives that it doesn't take itself to seriously very attractive.

Naruto/bleach/fairy tail/Dragon ball Z/saint seiya/zenki/ I have watched them all and other old ones too, and they are all pretty similar.

One piede/dragon ball 1 are also very good because they don't take themselves (from my view) too seriously and have the PLUS of the adventure and that makes them more interesting
Oct 5, 2015 1:05 AM

Jul 2013
Paul-Phoenix said:
I prefer FMA:Brotherhood over HxH. I honestly don't see what all the fuzz about HxH is about. I got into 21 episodes and dropped it because it was kind of boring, nothing as emotional as FMA.

You should give a try. The first arc of HxH could be boring, but the next arcs are very good.
Oct 5, 2015 2:04 AM

Jun 2014
It is the best imo. FMAB is a lot more flawless and consistent though. One Piece and Naruto are at least two levels below but they're still good.
Oct 5, 2015 4:56 AM
Dec 2013
Have you tried Bleach or Magi?
Oct 5, 2015 4:59 AM
Oct 2012
JumpinJC said:

Not Magi. Having a look now...
Oct 5, 2015 5:06 AM
Dec 2013
Valourtore said:
JumpinJC said:

Not Magi. Having a look now...

There's also Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and D-Gray-man, which might interest you.
Oct 5, 2015 5:51 AM

May 2014
HxH - the WORST SHOUNEN I HAVE EVER SEEN!

I will never understand why does it have this high rating. NEVER
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Better Version of HXH?

PushedCaraway - Oct 26, 2022

24 by Ex-Aid »»
Apr 20, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 62 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Sep 13, 2008

55 by Kyurima »»
Apr 12, 5:40 AM

» Am I the only one who has a problem with...

removed-user - Dec 2, 2022

8 by Berry-Vodka »»
Feb 16, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 54 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

19 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 53 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

17 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.