Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 13, 2008 10:01 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
great episode!!
Mar 3, 2010 12:19 PM

Apr 2008
I figured they weren't really dead.

7.5/10. Not rounded to an 8. Sure, the last 15 (or so) episodes were good, but the beginning just dragged on having few highlights.
GrimmmMar 3, 2010 12:27 PM
Mar 17, 2010 2:15 AM

Mar 2009
The end felt a bit rushed. Kurapika turned into an emo snob and there were just so many threads left. The series did peak my interest enough to watch the ova's and I might just read the manga as well. I'd give it a 7 or maybe an 8 even though the end left me a bit dissatisified.
Mar 31, 2010 4:01 AM

Dec 2007
well i would also rate this anime a 7.5/10 if i could but i ended up rounding it to an 8/10

will have to watch the OVA's some time later because i really didnt like the anime series's ending!
Apr 12, 2010 7:34 AM
Apr 2010
is there a continuation after the greed island episode?...
Apr 12, 2010 9:05 AM

Apr 2008
interlude said:
is there a continuation after the greed island episode?...

For the anime, no, not yet. Idk why you'd ask here in the 62 eppy anime discussion when that has it's own forum, lol.
Apr 12, 2010 9:23 AM

Apr 2010
when the hunter x hunter will release their new video?.... i love to watch it...... and i follow every new episodes in manga....
May 26, 2010 8:24 PM

Apr 2010
damn can someone tell me when will be the next new release in anime??
Oct 6, 2010 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
You got to be kidding me.... there is bad endings and then there is this...... soo many loose threads...

lastly; that ten hatsu nen bullshit was confusing and pointless... when they introduced it in the heavens tower arc i thought i suddenly was watching another anime... plus i saw no difference at all to how they fought before they learned it compared to after... well gon stoped using his fishing rod and kurapica stopped using his kickass swords
Dec 18, 2010 2:28 AM

May 2010
kyaaaaa i got to see Kuroro fighting X3 i loved that <3
Jan 12, 2011 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
not the greatest ending but still got the ova's to watch so...ya.
Apr 17, 2011 1:14 AM

Feb 2008
so I guess Kurapika never bothered to learn Gyo
Aug 25, 2011 10:39 PM

Jul 2010
"the bodies...were FAKE-ku"
as if you guys didnt make it anymore obvious.
SO wtf will the OVA's take care of the other stuff!?!? i feel so...empty wit this ending.

Sep 30, 2011 10:31 PM

Mar 2009
It ended right after finishing the arc, plus we have the OVAs next. Nothing wrong with that. I personally found Hunter x Hunter to be an intelligent, complex, and entertaining battle shonen. The Nen stuff is ridiculously complicated too. I still feel like I don't have the strongest grasp on it. So, props to Togashi there.

Yu Yu Hakusho has always been one of my favorite shonen, so I was pleasantly surprised when Hunter x Hunter turned out to be just as good, if not better. 9/10
Oct 20, 2011 6:56 PM

Jun 2009
A very good series, though I will say that the series was pretty damn uneven. As an example the first, I dunno, arc was pretty weak aside from the part where Gon faced Hisoka in the forest. In fact, I'd say the only strong arc as a whole has been this Spider arc which was just on an entirely different level and has to be one of the best shounen plot lines I've ever seen with honest to god interesting villains.

I'm leaning towards a 7 rating, I think.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 20, 2011 8:01 PM

Mar 2009
What did you find weak about the Hunter Exam? With the exception of the cooking part(gourmet hunters), overall, I thought it was fun and served as a nice introduction to the series. Even the tournament at the end of it all was neat, especially with how only the loser of each match continued on. Perhaps the entire exam was a little too long, though. What did it last, like half the series, I think?

But yeah, Spider arc surpassed everything else. Even the fight between Hisoka and Gon in the Heaven's Tower paled in comparisoin.
Oct 20, 2011 8:30 PM

Jun 2009
Crap, I totally forgot about that awesome fight between Gon and Hisoka...I guess that's what I get for taking a short break before starting this arc. I'll also give you the second half, starting with Tsunami where Hisoka saved the group, of the Hunters Exam as a whole as a very good stretch of the series.

It just took me a while to really get into the series, and the Nen system felt very jarring to me with how it was implemented. Not to mention, the short visit to Killua's home felt kind of like a waste (though it did introduce Killua's family like a bit) and could have had more to it.

Also, to me, Kurapika is easily the most interesting of the leads (aside from perhaps Killua) and that Heaven's Tower arc suffered because he had no role what so ever for a while. Makes me dread the upcoming Greed Island arc, to be honest.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 22, 2011 10:25 PM

Mar 2009
Oh yeah, the Tsunami part was great. It allowed the participants time to breathe(uhh...barring the hectic storm they had to deal with) and not worry about competing against each other, since they all ended up working together to get by.

The Nen system is complicated, and the training did mess with the pacing, so I'd definitely agree with you there. I've never been a fan of training arcs myself. Fortunately, it wasn't too long. I've seen a lot worse...

Same here. I'm a big fan of Kurapika and Hisoka mostly.

I've heard bad things about the Greed Island OVAs. I'm also worried about them. Supposedly, though, the next OVA is really good. Which reminds me, I should get around to watching that soon.
Nov 9, 2011 4:55 PM

Jul 2009
Just the sort of cliffhanger/open-ended ending I was expecting. Up until the final 10 or so episodes I was set to give this 8 or maybe 8.5/10 at a push but the last arc was great so I'm going to give it a 9/10 overall. It was nice to see Kurapica smiling at the end too.

Also, Hisoka's trolling after the credits was epic.
Mar 6, 2012 7:20 AM

Feb 2012
I love Hisoka :') Forever a troll :3
Apr 17, 2012 9:32 PM

Aug 2010
Not the best shounen I've seen but it was fairly entertaining especially during this last arc. It's a shame that it ends rather abruptly without any explanation at all.

I'm not really motivated in watching the OVA so I think I'll just wait until this part of the show is animated in the 2011 remake.
Jun 2, 2012 5:10 AM

Sep 2008
Yokurama said:
i really didnt like the anime series's ending!

Ditto. That was hardly an ending... Sorry to be harsh, but seriously? Gehh. And I certainly didn't need Hisoka to tell me the corpses were fake (no, duh!).

Then again, perhaps a super open-ended conclusion was necessary, due to the episode limit (they could have extended it but... anyway). I think I would give this a 7 or 8 out of 10, too.
Jul 3, 2012 5:36 PM

May 2010
This isn't the ending, so why are y'all complaining? Just watch the damn OVAs if you want to see how it ends.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 12, 2012 3:37 PM

Feb 2009
As others have said, the ending was "empty", although it was a good episode. Fortunately there are OVAs that will continue this, so the story itself is not exactly over.
Mar 9, 2013 2:26 AM

Jan 2012
Well, I'm quite disappointed that the spiders simply ran away and there was no real ending. I hope OVA will make up for that. In any case, the show itself was really interesting and enjoyable.

Apr 25, 2013 6:24 AM

Jun 2012
That was a really cool fight at the start there. Didn't expect to see Illumi as well, but him getting rid of the 10 dons saved Chrollo's ass.

Solid 8/10 for me, but a final score may be different depending on the three ova installments...
Jul 17, 2013 6:50 AM

Jun 2012
So everyone complaining about a lack of closure is doing so from 2010 onwards, 8+ years after the continuation OVA came out. Aight. Nice of them to fit in just a little more Hisoka trolling before the ED. XD
Jul 25, 2014 6:06 PM
Aug 2013
That's it? Well there's the ovas
Jul 31, 2014 11:18 PM

Dec 2012
Got a good laugh out of the moment when Illumi calls Zeno and they just casually part ways with Chrollo. I was wondering where they would stop. It's a shame the show was cut short during its time but I'm glad they pulled through with the OVAs and of course the 2011 remake wouldn't have happened either. Overall it was nice to see the original adaptation and served as a rewatch from a new (or rather older) perspective. If I had to break down my thoughts:

Hunter Exam:
1999: 8/10
2011: 9/10

I'll just spoiler my thoughts on each arc so fair warning to any passerby that these will contain HxH 2011 spoilers

Zoldyck family:
1999: 7/10
2011: 7/10

Heaven's Arena:
1999: 7/10
2011: 8/10

York New:
1999: ?/10
2011: 10/10

I'll have to wait until after the OVAs to comment but so far it's shaping up to be the same. Just hoping the next 8 episodes deliver.

So overall I'll have to say an 8.5/10 for the original Hunter x Hunter although I'm leaning more towards an 8.
Oct 8, 2014 3:20 PM
Nov 2013
I liked both this and the 2011 version but of course 2011 is better in almost
everything but the 99 ver feels more darker also Kurapika and Leorio's VA are better in the 1999 but that's it.
Oct 21, 2014 4:38 PM

Apr 2013
I hated all 4 of them at the start.
But after watching all of it, I can honestly say they developed great.
Surprisingly dark for a shounen.

8/10
Nov 2, 2014 12:56 AM
Nov 2013
Great shounen, gonna start the 2011 version, nice concept and character development, 7/10
Jan 14, 2015 12:32 PM

Jan 2010
I'm not sure if this exceeded my expectations or not, but it definitely gave a lot more than I thought I was gonna get. As in, it started off at a good note and it slowly got better from there. I think the thing that I liked the most was how the main characters were actually really weak compared to the crazies of theiir world. They're always being tested or placed in pressing situations, and simply escaping and surviving were victories in of themselves. Not everything was solved by brute force, as they were, at times, not viable options. A lesser show would have given them power ups at the last minute, so I really appreciate that.
Mar 15, 2015 4:31 AM
Apr 2013
Great final arc, terrible last episode.

Thank god I've finished this series so I can finally stop wasting so much time watching it!! ^^
I'll be taking a long break before continuing with the OVA's and the 2011 version.
May 30, 2015 2:22 PM
Jul 2014
I loved this and I'll probably watch the OVA's too. I just eanted to ask: Can someone tell me which chapter to continue reading the manga if I fineished all these 62 episodes?? Cause I only read til chapter 53 but I'm too lazy to read what I already watched, so can someone tell??^^
Jun 17, 2015 12:42 PM

Nov 2013
Hmm..

I far as i can say, the 1999 ver. is good in its own way. It could've done better if they didn't overdo the dark aura of the series. ( it didn't felt adventurous and literally the lighting. Where the heck is the lighting when you need it most?! )

Animations were inconsistent too. The thing about the 1999 ver. is its good fillers. Characters are fleshed out.

7.5 / 10

( time for the ovas )
Aug 10, 2016 12:07 AM

Sep 2013
Phew....FInished....fun series!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 13, 2016 11:09 PM

May 2009
We knew that already, Hisoka...
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Apr 9, 2017 5:36 PM

May 2008
Went in with no expectations and came out actually enjoying myself for once! Not bad~ I knew it was going to just end due to this series' infamous hiatuses, but I thought it ended well for an adaptation of original material that remains incomplete. A good cut for if they decide to continue; beats an anime original ending! Too bad they decided to remake the whole thing...

...Though, I'm going to be the black sheep and say I didn't care too much about the Spider arc. My favorite arc was actually Hunter Exam arc.

Sure it's overdone (and I like the tournament style - Togashi is excellent at it), but there was something about it that it had that the later arcs didn't (except Killua's rescue arc). And I think that is, for me, the teamwork between the 3/4 characters and how they interacted with each other and everyone else. The Hunter Exam arc also had more interesting fillers, though I wouldn't say other the fillers were bad. The fillers added a charm; back when fillers weren't automatically terrible and could be used effectively.

With the HA arc, even though Gon and Killua were cute to watch (esp. if you're a shipper lol), I could really tell they were having trouble making it fun and wacky and serious like the HE arc. The Nen explanations were hard to follow and the fights, barring Gon vs Hisoka, were just okay. Necessary, but not an arc I'll go back to unless I want to see Killua being a cool assassin (my favorite part, ofc). Lackluster.

The Spider arc, my goodness it take forever to get good; not until the Spiders made an appearance, specifically that Uvo guy, did I start caring about what was happening. It felt overly dark and showed how uninteresting Kurapika is as a character without the other 3 to work off him. I get why he's so serious, but it was just hard to watch. Even more so when the anime kept cutting to Gon and Killua (then Leorio) who were more entertaining. The whole "make billions of money" got old really fast too and pretty much went nowhere; I'm glad it was there so I didn't fall asleep at watching Kurapika being uninteresting, but I can't deny it felt pointless. But, the fights were definitely cool (Killua's grandpa and dad are badass and I want to see more of them!) and easily my favorite part. Heck, I'd say this arc had the BEST fights, they were that good.

7/10. It did have cool characters, nice interactions, and awesome fights. I liked the animation a whole lot too. Buuuut, the story is too up and down. It sorta loses itself once the HA ends. And I dunno if that's because it's too busy trying to be different or if Togashi doesn't know where he wants to do with this or something else entirely.
Jun 5, 2017 9:14 PM

May 2012
Pretty solid ending of this first season to be honest, I do really wonder what the sequels will offer, especially on the whole Greed Island! And well if I'll ever watch the 2011 version I'm sure am wondering how it will compare to this.

In general I quite like the overall progression, especially the character development. While the pacing wasn't always the best, it did had it's good moments.

So all in all I sure had a great watch! Up to the sequels!
Nov 28, 2017 1:32 PM

Mar 2016
That was an absolutely good ending. I won't say that this ending is rushed because... Well, the arc is not finished yet! This is why Hisoka texted that the corpses are fake.

It's clear to me. How to watch Hunter X Hunter:
(HxH 1999) > (HxH OVA) > (HxH OVA Greed Island) > (HxH OVA Greed Island Final) Then finally... (HxH 2011)

Gotta watch em' all!!!
Mar 23, 2018 2:41 AM

Sep 2017
What a good conclusion, for now.

I never thought Lucifer had his own agenda to kill the 10 dons so that he would escape. What a brilliant bastard. And Kurapika got his happy ending, even if it was for atleast 1 day.

The spiders were actually able to pull this off. Definitely best villains.

Also, that Kurapika with the scarlet eyes. It almost looked like he put those scarlet eyes on his own.

And that fight between Lucifer and Zoldyck was really cutting it close. But it is nice to see Hisoka keep up his end of the bargain.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Nov 5, 2018 1:29 PM

Apr 2013
Meh, the Zoldyck family is disappointing, just cancelling the fight like that. Booooo...
Also Hisoka I really did not need you to tell me that those were fake bodies, that was pretty obvious.

Overall it was better than I thought and I'm actually looking forward to the OVAs. 6/10
Sep 18, 2019 9:48 AM

Dec 2016
Unpopular opinion : Kurapika (12:53~) red eye scene is worse in the 2011 version.
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Jan 16, 2020 1:21 AM

Nov 2018
Sephyros said:
Unpopular opinion : Kurapika (12:53~) red eye scene is worse in the 2011 version.

It's definitely on another level in this version.It was so fucking powerful,I felt chills down my spine.
I hate everyone equally
Feb 5, 2020 11:23 AM
Apr 2016
Didn't expect Zeno to say that he would lose against Chrollo if he fought seriously; Mister good-character-design really is a monster I suppose. Kurapika's frustrated and frightening walk was incredible, it really got to me. A good adaptation, but it was very lackluster, inconsistent, and just weak at times.

@Gator While I am comically late, I wanted to say this: Hisoka wasn't telling us that they're fake bodies, he was reciting that from his phone. While you probably figured it out later by watching the OVAs, I wanted to mention it in order solve some future-watcher potential confusion.
Mar 29, 2020 6:10 AM

Mar 2020
hydro said:
So everyone complaining about a lack of closure is doing so from 2010 onwards, 8+ years after the continuation OVA came out. Aight.

I swear some people in here are so goddamn dense, complaining about an open ending when there's a sequel OVA that answer most of the questions. That's like someone whining about Season 1 being open ended when Season 2 is right there to answer everything. Just a 1 minute research and you would know that they had to stop here because they caught up to the Manga and it was either this or a shitty filler ending.
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Oct 18, 2020 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
Okay, so initially, this was supposed to be the series finale. They were literally going to leave things like this. To be honest, looking at the episode from the standpoint that this would be the last HxH episode ever, this was a horrible episode. The action and plot were great, but the pacing ruined it completely. I was shocked when all of the Spiders were shown dead… like wtf, where did that come from? If the Zoldycks were responsible, why not show (at LEAST) a quick montage? Before the ending seen with Hisoka and the text message (which I’m sure many people accidentally skipped over or weren’t aware of), I legitimately thought all of the spiders were dead. And so, they legitimately had me sitting there irritated and appalled. On one hand, I admire HxH for being unconventional and pulling things that no other anime story would be capable of, and yet I’m a bit angered. Again, assuming this would be the last episode, they really rushed things and put a blunt and abrupt end to an arc-wide buildup. This entire arc characterized the spiders only to wipe them out with the flick of a finger in the final episode. Poor Kurapika… he finally thought he could move on with his life. He thought he’d achieved his objective of avenging his people. All of that was in vein though. What a StRiPtEaSe.
Heck, my primitive brain didn’t even realize Hisoka was texting Kurapika in that final scene. I saw him with the phone, but didn’t make the connection — especially since HxH uses a foreign language. I thought Hisoka was just playing with his phone and narrating to himself that the bodies were fake.

Having said that, another observation… this was DARK. Scurry man. The shot of Hisoka passing the bald mafia guy with red eyes. Nightmare fuel. Not to mention the (fake) corpses of the spider members. They really didn’t spare the blood… I mean, that was gruesome detail. Something about it was eerily realistic. The way the blood was leaking out of various places on the body, designating unique forms of murder. Finally, I just realized the prevalence of guns in this arc. Lots and lots and lots of different types of guns. Violence at its finest.
All of that considered… isn’t this supposed to be a children/shounen show? Wasn’t this aired on television programs that children would watch?
Don’t get me wrong here.. THIS ISN’T A COMPLAINT. In contrast to my first paragraph, this is actually some praise. I appreciate HxH going from childish to mature in an instant. Like I said, they really push the envelope. Even One Piece wouldn’t paint corpses in such a manner. They make the show compelling for demographics of all ages. But I just really thought the target demographic was children.

Any who, thank God these creative but ignorant show runners listened to the complaints of the viewers. (Because, if you read up on it, people were apparently very disappointed by the finale.) They actually went on to make new episodes for the Greed Island arc — and to add some extra resolution to Yewnork arc.

I loved this series. It’s one of the best shounen I’ve ever watched. Everything about the show is charming and unique and aesthetically appealing. The only shounen I can think of that would rival this series is FMA or possibly Naruto. I thought One Piece, the first leg of the series, was pretty good — but this show took the cake.
Everything about it is FRESH and DIFFERENT from the other shonen. I’m seeing concepts and settings and plots that I’ve seen from nowhere else. 9/10 for sure. The Heaven’s Arena arc was garbage, but if that arc were omitted, this’d be a 9.5/10 series for sure.

I’m excited to begin Greed Island. Once I’ve satisfied by OCD, I’ll finally be able to start the 2011 series, having gone in perfect chronological order.
removed-userOct 18, 2020 2:03 PM
Oct 22, 2021 8:58 PM

Feb 2015
Lot of things happened this episode, but it was great. Interesting to find that the tv anime finished at this point, not even the arc is over, but I know about the OVAs. The Zoldycks were running a race to see who finish first. It would be interesting to see a Zeno vs. Chrollo. I was kinda impressed that Kurapika didn’t notice the Phantom Troupe was alive, but I don’t have any idea how he could guess it, Hisoka told him in the end.
Dec 3, 2021 7:33 PM

Jan 2020
2.9 billion Zeni for fake Kuruta scarlet eyes......damn I guess I this is the downfall of the Nostrade family....
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Better Version of HXH?

PushedCaraway - Oct 26, 2022

22 by wildhood »»
Mar 5, 5:52 PM

» Am I the only one who has a problem with...

removed-user - Dec 2, 2022

8 by Berry-Vodka »»
Feb 16, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 54 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

19 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 53 Discussion

17 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 52 Discussion

13 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.