Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Silver Spoon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 13, 2014 9:27 PM

Aug 2012
As much as I love the upbeat, highly comedic episodes, this was my favorite episode of this show, this season, and front runner for the year. The depiction of a high schooler having everything come crashing right in your face all at once and getting the opposite of support from your own parents was just done bone chillingly well. I mean his dad hit on every single insecurity he could have, and his face was heartbreaking the entire time.

This show always pulls off the emotional value and genuine heart warming by not being overdramatic. The whole scene with his dad had a calm to it that really conveyed his disdain/disappointment in Hachiken. His struggles with his mom and afterward had a normal, dull teenage feeling to it. And the scene with Mikage was par for the course with her, even though she's a little less composed than she was before. She just said and did exactly what he needed her to to come out of his depression on his own. Kept her character consistent while showing her gradual change toward him. Didn't pull any unnecessary dramatic speech because it didn't need to. That true essence of slice of life is what I love about this show.
Feb 13, 2014 9:49 PM

Sep 2013
His dad! He looks allot like Mikage's dad :P

Wow that teacher must of really wanted that cheese xd

"She looked away!" Ha everybody noodle time!

Mikage's reaction, she is so digging him ;)

Did his dad possible write that last thing?

His precious cheese all gone! Hahahaha

Great episode!
Feb 13, 2014 10:05 PM

Jun 2013
With all the crazy action epic adventure shows out there, it's amazing how Gin no Saji creates such intense drama merely from conversation and the character relationships it's built up. Hachiken's dad is one scary dude.

The scene where Hachi read the comments in his notebook was great. Such simple appreciation and yet so emotional.

And I totally agree about the ED (and OP, too). So uplifting!
-Trippwire-Feb 13, 2014 10:20 PM
Feb 13, 2014 10:05 PM

Jul 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

Are you Asian? Because I think you are underestimating the power Japanese women have (in fairness I am not, I am only speaking of my experience being married to one (and I will freely confess that they are well respected in their community for being particularly strong)). Now granted if Hachiken's father was abusive I think you would have a point, but there is no indication of that in either the animation and the manga, so that excuse is a little thin.

Also, on the lying. False praise is more insulting than insulting honesty, but even then I can accept the first lie, however her trying to evade responsibility after being exposed has no excuse.

This isn't an A or Z situation, she doesn't have to be completely passive or completely a "tiger mom", and she doesn't have to confront the father, but there is a range of possibilities in between.

Also, remember we are only at episode 6, so no spoilers (unless tagged), I am only speaking as to what we have seen in the animation up until now.

I am Asian and I'm speaking this from my own experience. My father, though nowhere as strict as Hachiken's dad, doesn't speak much nor has he ever expressed his feelings towards me or my brothers. We don't talk much except for important stuffs and when we want to discuss the details, it's always with our mother who then relay it to my father. When it comes to making decisions or asking something, she always said it depends on what my father decides. It doesn't mean she doesn't have any power, she does put a lot of input and my father always listens to her but ultimately, it's HIS "yes" that decides everything.

This isn't a unique case either. To give you an example of the extreme, I have a female friend who has to hide whenever she goes to church because her father forbids her and is really hard-headed about it. Her mother usually just helps her but can't do anything to change her father's stance regarding that matter. I also have an ex-girlfriend whose father is very abusive and her mother can't do anything about it because she's also a victim and yet she still values her husband as the head of the household and anything that goes on their household was decided by the father. To put it simply, in many households the mother usually acts as the intermediary between the child and the head of the household.

I can give you tons more example but you should get the gist. I'm not saying that women don't have influence at all but in Asian countries, the social norm is that the power belong to head of the household. I'm not sure where you are from but you can't compare Asian families who live in the west to Asian families who actually lives in the east. Asian countries are not as open-minded as the west even in developed countries like Japan where the value of family and its norms are still held very strongly. You have to put yourself in Hachiken's mom's shoes in that she's caught in the middle of internal conflict between two stubborn factions. She can't exactly oppose her husband since his husband is only thinking of what's best for Hachiken, at the same time she also needs to dote on Hachiken as a mother and make sure that whatever he does, he can at least know that she'll be there for him. If you read the manga, in the earlier part of the story it was shown that Hachiken's mother was the one who deposited Hachiken's monthly income and although it wasn't shown in this episode, his mother was also the one who took care of the hospital's administration and everything. I'm pretty sure she was also the one who took care of everything regarding Hachiken's admission to Yezo since his father couldn't care less.

I also don't see her excuse as evading responsibility, she's telling it as it is. In the first place, it's not like she meant any harm when she told Hachiken that his father enjoyed the bacon. She has been married to him for many years and thus knows the quirks and habits of his husband better than anyone. Likewise my father also never said much but my mother was always able to understand him properly. In Hachiken's case, I'm pretty sure his father actually cares about him even though he never says much or dote on him. Everyone has their own style of parenting and expectations of their child. The concept of "tiger parents" itself is neither wrong or right, some people advocate it some don't. It's possible that Hachiken's father did enjoy the bacon, just that it differs from his expectations or what he thinks is best for Hachiken and so he can't acknowledge it just yet.
MoeGodFeb 13, 2014 10:25 PM
Feb 13, 2014 10:35 PM

Jul 2013
Damn, Yugo's dad is pretty intimidating. Even though he gets angry at him for the environment of his school, I think he wanted his son to do what's best for him and continue through his studies instead of overdoing it. I got feels when Yugo read his notes from his friends. Yes! The romance just got started.

On the funny side, I sorted of laugh when they are doing the Human Banba race. Also, sensei's cheese... they were all taken XD.

Feb 13, 2014 10:40 PM

Jan 2011
So many feels in one episode went from feeling all sad to happy thanks to the end like always :)

Dude pulling the Banba looked like armstrong!
Feb 13, 2014 10:56 PM

May 2012
What a good mix of comedic, emotional and inspirational atmosphere... That Banba event was amazing! Horses vs Humans?!?!?! Exciting!
Feb 14, 2014 12:36 AM

Jun 2010
The feels... Dat Aki tho!
Feb 14, 2014 1:58 AM

Oct 2012
Ayame = Sayuri-san's chara???????
Wow... Never thought she could be that Ojou chara xD

My feels T_T
I hate ninjas with onions

Poor Nakajima-sensei & his cheese xD

ED ED! Just a few days and the full version is released!!
"Signature removed"
Feb 14, 2014 3:57 AM

Sep 2011
Intense drama in this ep. Hachiken dad cold brutal talk & the frustration & happiness of hachiken beutifully animated. There some funny moments to like nakajima sensei(He didin't pull his wisdoms talk in this one) cheese prize tag lol. Hachiken & mikage is getting closer, great ep so much emotion 5/5.
Feb 14, 2014 4:31 AM

May 2013
Absolutely fantastic episode, the best of the second season so far. Hachiken's father finally makes a real appearance, and it was definitely worth the wait.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 14, 2014 5:30 AM

Jul 2012
I know they wanted to make Hachiken's work not go to waste but it still was really sad when no one came to visit him. Part with hi family was sad as well, i got emotional when he read "thank you" after all his sulking.

His father looks really scary!
Feb 14, 2014 5:53 AM

Nov 2009
Unsympathetic parents who dictates you what future to have are the hardest to deal with.

The Banba race struck me the most in this episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2014 6:22 AM
Sep 2010
There are a lot of comments about how Hachiken is cruel to his mother, but I don't see it that way. His mother doesn't do her part in standing up on his behalf to her husband, either. She's caught in a rough place but I get why Hachiken would be so frustrated and resentful.

Growing up is hard.
Feb 14, 2014 6:24 AM

Oct 2013
Aymaan143 said:
BakaGekai said:
Another glorious episode. Mikage is so cute and those crispy potatoes!

Watching this episode made me crave potatoes T_T

me too. French fries!
Feb 14, 2014 7:13 AM

Nov 2010
Great and enjoyable again, it was half comedy and drama

Ayame has brighten up the festival with her participation
That banba race with Tamako whipping them was hilarious
Those potato rejects looked very tasty, yumyum
Budda sensei loosing all of his cheese was funny too

Poor Hachiken putting so much effort in the past to please his father
We got to know a lot more about his background now
That guestbook scene with the thank you written was really touching

Ship more Mikage x Hachiken moments please!
Feb 14, 2014 7:19 AM

Oct 2012
Feb 14, 2014 8:35 AM
Jan 2013
AAAAAH, HA,HA,HA the curly bitch is back.
Feb 14, 2014 9:20 AM

Oct 2010
This episode made me feel like changing my rating to a 10/10. Then, I realized I already did that... Great episode.
"People die when they are killed" - Emiya Shirou
Feb 14, 2014 10:24 AM
Oct 2012
Mauroki said:
I hate/love Ayame. http://i.minus.com/i4oCveZivN2Ob.gif

I would put it at love, despite her flaws, when her friend/rival needed help she immediately knew what Mikage wanted and didn't think twice of helping her. That type of loyalty buys a lot of acceptance of otherwise annoying quirks (which for the most part are tied to her trying to prove herself to Mikage (whom she adores and wants to be like).
Feb 14, 2014 10:32 AM

Jun 2012
I started to cry when I saw the words "Thank you" as well. I'm in a similar position to Hachiken so I know how meaningful those words are.
Sol_OuFeb 14, 2014 10:36 AM
Feb 14, 2014 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
Leio said:
Unsympathetic parents who dictates you what future to have are the hardest to deal with.

Come on now

He is hard to deal, but in no time he said to Hachiken what he had to do. The only thing he wants is results. And I think this is a parental obligation
Feb 14, 2014 3:48 PM
Dec 2010
I just love this show, the mix of emotional stuff and LOL-moments continues to make this one of my absolute favorite shows. It really showed that any emotional moment can be turned into something humorous with just one kick in the butt.

Also, impressive performance by A.L. Armstrong, I mean Todoroki-sensei in the Banba race, though I feel a bit bad for Nakajima-sensei, months and months of hard work invested in his cheese, and it's all gone in an instant.
Feb 14, 2014 3:55 PM

Jul 2012
AOTS out of all the winter shows...then again, I am a bit biased.

I'm craving for some potato rejects now!!

Gsimp said:
I just love this show, the mix of emotional stuff and LOL-moments continues to make this one of my absolute favorite shows. It really showed that any emotional moment can be turned into something humorous with just one kick in the butt.

dragonlight said:
I started to cry when I saw the words "Thank you" as well. I'm in a similar position to Hachiken so I know how meaningful those words are.

^ Same!
Feb 14, 2014 4:47 PM

Mar 2012
The one thing I hate about this anime is how it makes me hungry everytime I watch an episode xD
Feb 14, 2014 5:08 PM
Jan 2014
Loved the episode.
And to think i once though i wouldn't like this anime. XD
Feb 14, 2014 10:59 PM

Jun 2013
GREAT EPISODE. GIN NO SAJI, UP TO MY FAV. LIST.

pakoko said:
"Of course the large, shapely ones fetch a better price at the market, but rejects have their own way of getting even."

Hachiken may have been a "reject," but each and every episode he's starting to get even. This anime sends such a strong and inspirational message to the youth out there dealing with the stress of trying to be successful that it's really touching whenever I watch an episode.

Oh man, you just made my feel-o-meter burst out.
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Feb 15, 2014 3:28 AM

Jun 2012
This is what I call god tier..... Keep up the good work.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Feb 15, 2014 3:38 AM

Feb 2012
poor nakajima-sensei.. lol xD
Feb 15, 2014 3:55 AM

Jul 2012
The festival looked fun.

The cheese cellar at the end killed me, too funny.

Great episode!!!
Feb 15, 2014 7:00 AM
Apr 2012
Could anybody tell me who might've wrote the thank you note in the guestbook, the one Hachiken read, before bursting into tears of joy? I know the manga may have told readers who wrote that one, but, uh I haven't read the manga yet, though.

So, uh, hope someone could point out to me who wrote that thank you note, thanks a bunch!

P.S: This was a satisfying episode! A bit sad that Hachiken had to miss that wonderful annual festival, and having to discover the painful truth about his mom's beacon message (T__T) But what's life without a little downs..Anyway, glad he realized that his efforts and hard works were truly and warmly appreciated by his close colleagues... <3
Feb 15, 2014 7:15 AM
Dec 2013
Even us, the readers, don't know who wrote that note. But I think it is not really important to know who write. Hachi cried on this because two reasons in my mind : first is, perhaps for the first time, somebody recognize his hard work and thanks him (even if he wants that from his dad). The second thing are the firsts words of the message, when the person says he was kind of depressed. Hachi knows this feeling, to have the sensation to be at the bottom of everything and be hopeless. Afterall, he was (says himself) in nervous breakdown in middle school so know that he helps (not directly but you see what I mean) somebody to feel better and overcome with this feeling when nobody helps him when he was in that situation. But that's just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong !
Feb 15, 2014 7:31 AM
Apr 2012
FleurduMal said:
Even us, the readers, don't know who wrote that note. But I think it is not really important to know who write. Hachi cried on this because two reasons in my mind : The second thing are the firsts words of the message, when the person says he was kind of depressed. Hachi knows this feeling, to have the sensation to be at the bottom of everything and be hopeless. Afterall, he was (says himself) in nervous breakdown in middle school so know that he helps (not directly but you see what I mean) somebody to feel better and overcome with this feeling when nobody helps him when he was in that situation. But that's just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong !

Alright, I'll buy that, but I seriously thought it was Komaba. Reason: Because in the previous episodes (episode 2? or 3, I think....there seems to be a slight hint that he was somewhat handling some family troubles at home, which was (somehow, I'm also just giving this a hunch, since I really didn't bother to investigate this further, in the manga or elsewhere discussion forums) why Hachiken saw Mikage crying that one night while talking to Komaba? So, I was assuming (yes I was, the entire time up till this episode 6) that Komaba was the one who wrote this and admitted he was sort of down and depressed these past days, in the note...Since, I think the anime TOTALLY cut off some main major scenes from the manga, that ACTUALLY EXPLAINS the reason why Mikage was crying that night Hachiken saw her cry....Or was it just me who missed the explanation regarding that? Or am I getting this whole thing all wrong, or even worse, messed up??
Feb 15, 2014 7:43 AM
Dec 2013
Oh I never thinked about Komaba but yeah that's interesting ! And don't worry the anime follows the manga...err except for this episode where they skipped Shingo's intervention and his reunion with his parents at the hospital... But about the secret between Aki and Komaba, even in the manga, we know it at the end of autumn. And, according with the chapters and episodes, I have the feeling that it will probably at the episode 8 or 9.
Feb 15, 2014 7:52 AM
Apr 2012
FleurduMal said:
But about the secret between Aki and Komaba, even in the manga, we know it at the end of autumn. And, according with the chapters and episodes, I have the feeling that it will probably at the episode 8 or 9.

O'Lord, you Sir FleurduMal, are a lifesaver, period. I was hoping to hear this, out of all this, frankly speaking! Well, now that everything's cleared, seriously I am now anticipating to learn the truth of that secret, hell yes.
Feb 15, 2014 12:29 PM

May 2012
^^Please dont spoil future plot developments for people who haven't read the manga. If you have to spoil, use Spoiler Tags!

But good dramatic episode, with some funny moments! Sad there wasn't more tender Mikage x Hatchiken scenes though >.<
Feb 15, 2014 12:53 PM

Apr 2013
Damn his father is harsh... and it truly sucks that Hachiken couldn't see the festival, but I think it's worse that nobody visited him.
Feb 15, 2014 1:57 PM

Dec 2011
Looks like Hachiken has big problems with his family after all... and his dad has a point that Hachiken kinda looks down on others.

Oh well, he made a recovery... and poor Nakajima-sensei. Hahaha.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 15, 2014 5:14 PM

Nov 2012
what an episode... really awesome..
hachiken's father is a guy.. :/
and it is so sad that hachiken cant enjoy the festival,, :/
and those cheese XD
Feb 15, 2014 7:11 PM

Dec 2012
well, Hachi's father sucks... and his mom is very nice and means well, he should have stayed in the car, but I understand that he was sick of his family at that moment.

Also, why are his eyes drawn differently when he doesn't have glasses? they're bigger and wider, and look a lot more angry haha

I still can't get over how great that ED is.
Feb 15, 2014 7:59 PM

Mar 2009
It's strange to see my parents in an anime.
Feb 15, 2014 11:53 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Nice to see a wide variety of emotions.
Feb 16, 2014 11:25 AM
Feb 2012
An episode that made me genuinely laugh and cry with its characters. I'm most impressed, Gin no Saji (same reaction I had when I read the corresponding chapters).
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Feb 16, 2014 11:56 AM

Jul 2008
Leio said:

Neither of his parents dictate Yugo what future he should have. If they did, he would not be in this agricultural school to begin with.

His father leaves the impression of a man who has high expectations for his son. In other words, he expects Yugo to do a proper job with future he chose by himself. You can see on his face and the way he talks that he is kind of a man who gets shit done... and he expects his son to become a man who gets shit done.
He is a harsh, cold man who doesn't pull any punches. But he does care about Yugo: the very fact that he bothered to visit him (rather than just send his wife) shows it. Even his words were not there to hurt Yugo, but to make him think about himself and his relationship with the others.

And he is the perfect parent for this kind of show. For nothing would make a more satisfying end of the story than Yugo getting approved by this man.
Feb 16, 2014 1:47 PM
Dec 2013
Their parents are pretty overbearing. Example ? Shingo. He clearely says that he never wanted to go at Todai. His father wanted this because it is good for him and his reputation.
And for Yûgo...Well, it's more complicated for his school's choice because it wasn't really his choice at the begining : that was his teacher in middle school and some parents thinks the teachers are best placed to advise on the futur for their students. Plus, his middle school teacher says it (3rd episode of the first season it seems) that Yûgo doesn't have the level for the high school in which his father preferred that Yûgo goes (like he says in this episode). So, for this, his parents had no choice (Yûgo neither).
Feb 16, 2014 3:48 PM

Oct 2012
His father is pretty strict, I bet he is successful businessman that had strict father himself.. now we now where lack of Hachiken's confidence is coming from.

Mikage leaning to him at the end.. well, things seems on a good way (though they still need to go through the thing that Komamba wouldn't be marrying her (becoming farmhand) as it was decided by their parents). I also find it quite a funny that she is no longer oblivious to him, really, quite an opposite - she seemed very nervous near him.
Feb 16, 2014 4:00 PM

Oct 2012
FleurduMal said:
that was his teacher in middle school and some parents thinks the teachers are best placed to advise on the futur for their students. Plus, his middle school teacher says it (3rd episode of the first season it seems) that Yûgo doesn't have the level for the high school in which his father preferred that Yûgo goes (like he says in this episode). So, for this, his parents had no choice (Yûgo neither).

Well, those final tests are just about everything in Japan, you get low score = you are doomed to do inferior job or even become NEET. Even that Hachiken wasn't like that he didn't get score that was expected so he was looked down upon by his father as unsuccessful son.

There is great deal of criticism of local student system that puts huge amount of pressure on students - cause you are important only when you are beneficial to society. Your standing is everything in Japan.
Feb 17, 2014 10:36 AM
Oct 2013
Same, Hachiken's parents are too similar to my own, especially my dad. I don't think Hachi's mom is too bad I think that he was just lashing out against her because of him, it is a little insensitive but stuff like that happens a lot in real life.
Feb 20, 2014 5:07 AM

Nov 2013
Loved this episode. Just recently getting back to the anime world
Hachiken's dad isn't as bad i thought he is. He might have problems that makes him the person he ia right now. Anyway, the "Thank you" didnt really touched me as i maybe haven't felt that kind of
Feeling. But i get why people think its a touching moment. Great scene mikage & hachiman <3.
Why be Someone Else .When the only thing you know is how to be Awesome and Fantastic!
Am I right or What?
Self Five!
I Thank You guys for having the
time to read my sig
thx!
Feb 20, 2014 6:38 AM

Dec 2008
Looks Hachiken hard work paid off, too bad he missed the festival :(

Good episode tho!

Wieeeeeeee...
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gin no Saji 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2014

92 by Shikkakku »»
Yesterday, 2:51 AM

Poll: » Gin no Saji 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2014

102 by Shikkakku »»
May 4, 8:15 AM

Poll: » Gin no Saji 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2014

146 by Shikkakku »»
May 3, 2:38 AM

» Just found this hidden gem

Ferrykr - Dec 16, 2023

9 by thischeetobussin »»
Apr 1, 6:57 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

161 by Xzpyth »»
Jan 17, 8:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.