Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 6, 2014 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Irw ftw.

So Ryoko also learns a little about Satsuki's mom. Oh boy, this is going to escalate. Why sleeping though Mako?! Wake up.

The elite 4 was awesome though. DRINK TO VICTORY. Satsuki is so awesome this episode rebelling against her mother. I'm pretty hyped next week with that ending: http://imgur.com/8GolXPj
Feb 6, 2014 9:35 AM

Aug 2013
WOW

I didn't expect this.

Dat final twist
Feb 6, 2014 9:42 AM

Oct 2011
I expected the rebellion...

Not so much to straight up stabbing and throwing.

Next Week: Nui vs. 4 Devas. I'm scared. I don't want Nonon or Gama to die...
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Feb 6, 2014 9:49 AM

Sep 2008
My body wasn't ready for this episode.

I saw a betrayal coming but not LIKE that.

Next week can't get here fast enough.

Also WTF was Ragyo wearing?! What was she suppose to be a jester or something?!
Feb 6, 2014 10:06 AM

Apr 2013
Until this episode, this show is not as powerful as ttgl and not as funny as psg.

this episode is an improvement, but it is far from enough
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Feb 6, 2014 10:58 AM
Jan 2013
GREATNESS
Feb 6, 2014 11:03 AM

Aug 2013
Im about as surprised as Ryoko when Satsuki ran her mom threw with her sword.

Cant wait till next week.
My Candies:
Feb 6, 2014 11:18 AM

May 2008
That plot twist, though. Seems like there's one in every episode.
Feb 6, 2014 11:22 AM

Oct 2011
Seems like they were serious about the second half being the core of the series..

Let's see how far they take this.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
Feb 6, 2014 11:23 AM

Oct 2011
Epic!!!! That ending was crazy. Beautiful betrayal by satsuki, gotta watch it a few more times
Feb 6, 2014 11:23 AM
May 2012
Wat o.o
Feb 6, 2014 11:25 AM

Nov 2011
DAFAQ??!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Feb 6, 2014 11:28 AM
Jul 2013
YES! YES! FINALLY! OH FUCK YEAH!
That's what I have been waiting for!
Feb 6, 2014 11:29 AM

Sep 2012
The last two episodes were building up to the betrayal. It was only inevitable that it would happen.

But, dammit, was it really necessary to have Matarou's junk hanging out like that? At least cross your legs, boy!
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Feb 6, 2014 11:30 AM

Nov 2012
She just butchered her own mother! WTF?! And is the butler her father?
AichiroFeb 6, 2014 11:36 AM
Feb 6, 2014 11:32 AM

Feb 2013
That episode was again amazing. Ragyos outfit was still rainbow fabulous. I somehow expected Satsuki-samas betrayal but not in such a brutal way. O_o
Dat cliffhanger...
Next week can't get here fast enough.
And I still love the Mako Ending video.
-Bakemono-Feb 6, 2014 11:36 AM

Feb 6, 2014 11:33 AM

Aug 2012
Apr 2013
This show, maaaan...

*sigh*

I don't know what to say. The writing is just... all over the place.

*sigh*

Anyway, the VISUALS though, DAMN.

Trigger is so creative. When it was raining blood, the blood looked crayon shaded. Also that whole sequence that ended the episode took me back to what impressed me about Gurren Lagann with how cinematic it looked. Drool.

Looks like Ragyo is fine and dandy from the preview, though.

And that whole conversation between Satsuki and Soroi was more of what this show needed.

And the way the Mankanshoku family went all serious face when the dad was questioning Gamagoori was pretty hilarious.

Mako comedy was miss this episode. And the way the stand off between Tsumugu and Ryuuko ended was just another big nothing.

Just won't quit blue-balling us will you Kill la Kill writer?

Sep 2011
▶ In retrospect I should have seen Satsuki's act of matricide coming. Her and Ragyo's ideologies are way too different for her to remain the docile and obedient girl she has been depicted as whenever she was shown in the presence of her mother. Satsuki has always valued virtes such as self-empowerment and self-realization, there is no way she would stand by watching how humanity loses its independence to extraterrestrial beings.

Of course there's also the fact that unlike the bullies at Gamagoori's old high-school she's not content with leeching off the influence of her parents (where's her father btw, he's been suspiciously absent the whole time without any explanation) but rather usurp her mother's power completely even if she has to pry it out of her cold, dead hands. Though there's little doubt that the back-stabbing Ragyo received won't be enough to take her down with her scars on her back branding her as well-versed in combat.

▶ If it hasn't been clear before now it's pretty blatant just how self-centred Ragyo is, stating to be omniscient in addition to being the sole person to determine what can be defined as beautiful following up on her monopolization on the admittedly loose concept of sin. All her inter-actions with other people are coated with condescendence, her banter with the four generals nothing but superficial fluff, her spiel centering on abstract subjects such as primal sin basically being as shallow as the layers of clothing are that she covers her body with.

Though, perhaps that's just what it sounds like to her daughter who must have entered the stage of puberty by now and being in her rebellious phase acting like the know-it-all teenager calling bullshit on what the adults say and sprouting larger-than-life phrases herself with her own version on how the world works, most preferably revolving around herself, (I certainly wouldn't trust a person of her age to know humanity's true essence like she has been announcing from the rooftops since the start of the show) and putting up a strong facade to hide her weaknesses.

In contrast Ryuuko has found her onw way to defy adults' expectations by living as a delinquent, there's really no need to murder your mother to prove your self-worth ;) In a way both Satsuki and Ryuuko are chasing after slightly juvenile goals, the former with world domination in mind and the latter by getting revenge on her deceased father, a common trope in action-flicks, the whole elaborate setting could be interpreted as an externalization of their pubertal struggles, it is by the creators of FLCL after all and the Utena-esque elements (watch that show if you haven't already) alone should warrant digging up some subtle (or not so subtle) symbolism.

▶ Ragyo's harlequinesque appearance during the festival was a neat throwback to one of her more prominent catch-phrases "La vie est drôle", though I'm sure only the likes of Harime with her twisted sense of humour would deem the bloodshed taking place in the end amusing. The comparison of human pigs getting lead to the shambles by choice to get slaughered was a brilliantly morbid way to pick up Satsuki's figure of speech and hearing it out of the her mother's mouth who would be the first to be visibly slaughtered no less.
EudaimoniaFeb 6, 2014 1:19 PM
Feb 6, 2014 11:35 AM

Apr 2011
Ok.. I did not expect that. Great ep, as always.
Feb 6, 2014 11:38 AM

Aug 2008
Oh God, it was brilliant Ragyo in her new outfit is even more fabulous. The ending surprised me a bit, but we could guess something like that to happen from the new opening and all of those theories.
Feb 6, 2014 11:39 AM

Dec 2012
Holy shit! Plot twist????? I did not expect this! LOVE IT! >:D
Feb 6, 2014 11:45 AM

Oct 2011
Just realized this due to some opinions from a thread on this episode elsewhere...

I give you, the Ryuko Matoi's family tree.

Feb 6, 2014 11:49 AM

Apr 2013
Two episodes in and this second half is already fucking amazing. The rebellion has begun.
Satsuki impaling her mom and then throwing her off the sword was pretty damn awesome.
Feb 6, 2014 11:50 AM

Apr 2013
Yuri-Hime said:

Also WTF was Ragyo wearing?! What was she suppose to be a jester or something?!

I thought of Joker when she came out like that. I... really don't know why, even though the last shot of Ragyo only further cemented it, honestly. It was weird.

But holy hell, this show's insane with its twists. And I love it.

Also, stay adorable, Mako.
Feb 6, 2014 11:51 AM

Aug 2010
BAness overload!!!! :D

Nice going Satsuki! I was hoping she would do just that and she did it wonderfully. Dat blood splash was brutal ^^

Always like the conversations between Satsuki and her butler hehe. How he reacted hearing she found his tea bitter when she was young was lol.

Lol'd so much at Mako's family vs Gamagoori XD Dat serious faced dad and Gutz introducing himself XD...Lol'd at how Mataro was naked and his penis was showing hahahahaha XD

And ofc...Ragyu had to have Drill hair XD TTGL in the work lol. Looking fabulous!

Anyway...again loved the ending and shit will get real now. Let's see if Satsuki and Ryuuko will work together? Loved the art at the end.

Nov 2011
Can't Wait next week : Nui Vs E4
Hope they'll butcher that bitch

Jun 2013
Eudaimonia said:
In retrospect I should have seen Satsuki's act of matricide coming. Her and Ragyo's ideologies are way too different for her to remain the docile and obedient girl she has been depicted as whenever she was shown in the presence of her mother. Satsuki has always valued virtues such as self-empowerment and self-realization, there is no way she would stand by watching how humanity loses its independence to extraterrestrial beings.

Agreed 100%. I don't think this "twist" was supposed to be all that surprising since the show has been building up to this point from the beginning. Satsuki would have killed Ryuko a long time ago if she was in on Ragyou's plan all along.
Feb 6, 2014 11:52 AM

May 2010
its a good plot twist but it is not as unpredictable as it first seems.

rewatch episode 16 from 19:25 - 20:34. maybe it was too subtle for some ppl but i thought it was a clear hint of what may happen between ragyo and satsuki.

i wonder why they cut out the upper half face of satsukis father in that one scene. its probably nothing but still.

anyways..epic episode once again 5/5. just awesome.
Feb 6, 2014 12:01 PM

Dec 2011
I knew Satsuki wants to defeat her mother... I didn't expect such a way to overthrow her! A stab in the back. My goodness. Hopefully, she won't go down this easy, with such a flashy background on her.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2014 12:02 PM
Nov 2013
That murder face expression of Satsuki <33333333
Feb 6, 2014 12:11 PM

Jun 2012
That betrayal was so obvious.
Feb 6, 2014 12:14 PM

May 2013
That was quite the plot twist. Even though I expected Satsuki to rebel against Ragyo, I didn't expect it to happen this suddenly.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Feb 6, 2014 12:15 PM

Jul 2013
Episode 16 comment.
VeryNicePerson said:
I expect Satsuki to betray her mother and joins Matoi because she seemed doubtful about that plan. --> Satsuki and Matoi team up at the end of the OP ?

Like i/we thought in episode 16, it did happen but man, that was intense.

------------------------

Insane episode, we're going on a total rampage in the next ones !
Glad it becomes so interesting.

Still waiting for a new Senketsu evolution though.

PREVIEW EPISODE 18 HYPE
VeryNicePersonFeb 6, 2014 12:21 PM
Feb 6, 2014 12:16 PM

Dec 2012
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH SHIT'S GETTING REAL
Feb 6, 2014 12:18 PM

Sep 2012
Well. I didn't expect that with this timing.
Feb 6, 2014 12:20 PM

Apr 2007
I expected Satsuki would betray Ragyo but I didn't expect it like this. I thought she'd have a crisis of conscience after slowly realising that she doesn't agree with her mother's ideals... but it turns out she's been planning it from the very beginning! Fuck yeah Satsuki!
Feb 6, 2014 12:21 PM

May 2012
I'm sorry to say but there was an awful animation error with the boy (Mako's brother) at 17:37. He was still in the dress clothing even though he claimed to have sold it ago, in the other frames he was wearing rags. This is a big blunder they made there with the episode, otherwise it was rather entertaining.
Feb 6, 2014 12:24 PM

Mar 2013
I love Mankanshoku family xD
I didn't expect Satsuki's betrayal
Feb 6, 2014 12:27 PM

Jun 2013
sentience said:
I'm sorry to say but there was an awful animation error with the boy (Mako's brother) at 17:37. He was still in the dress clothing even though he claimed to have sold it ago, in the other frames he was wearing rags. This is a big blunder they made there with the episode, otherwise it was rather entertaining.

Body paint.
Feb 6, 2014 12:27 PM

Aug 2012
OMG that plot twist at the end! its Game of Thrones all over again XD
Feb 6, 2014 12:28 PM

Apr 2013
The intense climax aside, that little moment with Satsuki and Soroi was quite touching.
Powerful eyebrows.
Feb 6, 2014 12:30 PM

May 2012
BakaAniki said:
sentience said:

Body paint.

That explained it...ohmygosh.
Feb 6, 2014 12:30 PM

Mar 2008
was obvious, but nevertheless really awesome!!

great episode.. mako is great :D
Feb 6, 2014 12:34 PM

Jun 2013
sentience said:
BakaAniki said:
sentience said:

Body paint.

That explained it...ohmygosh.

You can clearly see his nipples and junk hanging and when everyone's getting eaten by the fibers his body paint was almost washed out (is that the word?).
Feb 6, 2014 12:35 PM

May 2012
A lot of people guessed this huge plot-twist but it was really marvelous to see it in action.

BakaAniki said:
You can clearly see his nipples and junk hanging and when everyone's getting eaten by the fibers his body paint was almost washed out (is that the word?).

I realised that, thought he was wearing the rags that he usually wore at first before you pointed it out though. Thanks.
Feb 6, 2014 12:38 PM

Apr 2013
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/06/1391719022-naniiii.png

I wasn't expecting that.
I am speechless.
(Though I can say that Ragyo's theme is really something and that she's rainbow Maleficent)
Feb 6, 2014 12:39 PM

Jul 2013
Hooooly fuck. That betrayal in the end.

Oh man I can't wait for next week
Feb 6, 2014 12:44 PM

Apr 2013
HOLY CRAP

i expected satsuki to go against ragyo but not like this. jaw dropped during the last minute

and ofc mako's dad doing the kamina pose. MARK MY WORDS
Feb 6, 2014 12:45 PM

May 2012
AgentChico said:
Hooooly fuck. That betrayal in the end.

Oh man I can't wait for next week

Truly, what made it better was that the betrayal was already foreshadowed early on when the generals drank from the teacups and smashed them.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2013

368 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:39 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2013

447 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

392 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

878 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Mar 27, 2014

955 by NullZweiChan »»
Apr 14, 10:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.