Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 31, 2016 5:08 PM

Jul 2015
Oh... my.... they did NOT just go there
Dec 4, 2016 1:09 PM

Sep 2016
I'm not a fan of Nanami-centric episodes, but for some reason I found this really amusing. I really liked her motherly side. That was a metaphor for periods or something, right?

Also homophobic Touga confirmed lol
Dec 30, 2016 12:42 PM

Oct 2012
It's very obvious this episode was about semi-colons.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Mar 10, 2017 7:09 AM

Jun 2007
what was touga even blabbering about? certainly don't want to listen to that adam and eve bullshit coming from the guy who fanatically loves the throb of akio's engine
see you, space cowperson . . .
May 31, 2017 1:36 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Wonder what that broken egg means? That she isn't pure anymore?

Shugo Chara anyone?

Anyways, I think this one is my favorite Nanami episode because of how nice she is...compared to the other times when she's vile.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought "period". xD guess it was obvious.
Jun 4, 2017 6:39 PM

Nov 2011
I haven't liked the Nanami humor episodes until now, but this one managed to be bizzare in an amusing sort of way for once.

The period/pregnancy allusions were extremely obvious to me while watching.

I was surprised to see Touga start educating his sister on sexual purity. I would've been impresssed too if he wasn't so promiscuous himself, but alas...

Oh, and this episode provided the "eternity" my theory in the previous episode discussion was missing: the passing down of knowledge, thoughts, and feelings from the parent to the child.
Jul 19, 2017 10:17 PM

Dec 2014
Sorvarin said:
what was touga even blabbering about? certainly don't want to listen to that adam and eve bullshit coming from the guy who fanatically loves the throb of akio's engine

This. Though, it appears everyone (but Anthy) loves the throb of Akio's engine xD

Anyway, Nanami is now a cow that's laying eggs? Interesting...

That double entendre with Jury tho :'D
Aug 14, 2017 9:57 AM

Apr 2015
Today on "Nanami is ridiculously sheltered", Nanami seems to think that she's actually laid an egg. Though I'm curious as to where in the hell it came from in the first place. Was it really just Chu-Chu?

Her conversation with Touga about how he likes her because she doesn't "lay eggs"...I'm certain he was saying something about her being sexually pure, but of course Nanami missed that and took it literally.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 16, 2017 7:55 AM
Aug 2014
Another awful Nanami episode.
Sep 4, 2017 9:48 AM

Apr 2013
The most bizarre and dumb filler episode I've ever seen.
Sep 11, 2017 3:49 PM
Mar 2017
I can't think of any other anime that use a girl thinking she's laid an egg as a metaphor for menstruation. I have no idea what happened at the end, though. Something about Chu-Chu coming from the egg, and for some reason Nanami had it. I don't know. It's just weird.
Oct 28, 2017 12:23 AM

Jun 2017
Touga wants to invoke God while he's hanging out shirtless with a guy whose name is synonymous with Lucifer and his big red car.
Mar 13, 2018 1:46 PM

Jul 2016
Hey, this episode was pretty good.

It develops into Nanami's character in that we see how she takes so many decisions fueled by paranoia and/or social pressure. And it was pretty entertaining too.

But the conclusion seems weird, did Chuchu just come out from the egg? That's a bizarre way to end things.

Oh, and Ahio is missing apparently, and Anthy looks quite sad, understandable.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Apr 12, 2018 11:47 AM

Jan 2017
How come the most absurd episodes are Nanami's!? lol. Loved this one. It was really nice getting that sort of development for her character also, it was actually pretty fun.

And the dialogue with Jury, lol.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Oct 4, 2018 11:27 PM

Aug 2015
Utena: C'mon, even Nanami deserves better than to be compared to a chicken, Anthy.
Anthy: Do you think so?

Hello, police? I need to report a murder.
Jan 20, 2019 11:39 AM

May 2010
Might be the best Nanami's episode so far, at least for me. It was definitely hilarious, but also the symbolism was pretty clear and I could understand what it's trying to say (which doesn't happen that often in this series, lol).
May 30, 2019 2:50 AM

Aug 2017
This show is absolutely awesome with its metaphors. Breaking an egg's shell symbolizes adulthood (as we can understand from the discussions of the Student council) and reincarnation, which is fully explored in this episode with such undertones as pregnancy, ovulation (Nanami) and ChuChu's implied rebirth.
Nanami-sama and her episodes are among my favorites.
Jun 6, 2019 2:08 PM

Apr 2014
Dear God, I'm glad this exists.
Jul 5, 2020 7:12 AM

Jul 2016
Nanami is always amusing to watch
Oct 12, 2020 11:41 PM

Jul 2009
Another Nanami episode XD

If it's not Cows, It's now about Eggs.

I love how Juri's bag was was the bowling bowl which was weird how it was just placed just like that.

I guess this is a new Chu Chu and the old one died? He looks different with the ear ring and all.
Dec 5, 2020 10:58 AM

May 2010
This episode was so silly, so why did I get emotionally invested in Nanami's relationship with her egg?
Jan 23, 2021 4:30 AM

Nov 2018
Bdiah said:
One of the funniest episodes of the show that i have seen. I just about died laughing at the "not the kind of girl who lays eggs" line.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about what this episode was about, so ill weigh in briefly. Everything in any Ikuhara show is an allegory for something else and that is especially true in this episode. From my view, this episode is pretty clearly about ovulation and menstruation, albeit amusingly told. Nanami wakes up one morning with an egg (ovulation), and then wakes up a few days later with the broken empty egg under the sheets (blood after menstruation). Her concerns are typical for most young girls entering puberty: "am I the only one?", and then later "am I the last one?"

The conversation with her her older brother, while hilarious, pretty much lays out the double standard the women encounter regarding sexuality. Touga can pursue all the women he wants, but Nanami shouldn't go around "laying eggs".

Pretty much an amazing episode!

Makes sense , thanks for explanation.
I hate everyone equally
Jan 23, 2021 4:31 AM

Nov 2018
Is this what inspired Kakyoin laid an egg meme?
I hate everyone equally
Apr 29, 2021 11:10 PM

Jul 2016
Touga saying same sex relationships were something bad made me laugh so hard. Says the dude who goes on constant "no homo" night escapades with shirtless Akio...

So... another filler-ish Nanami episode filled with symbolisms and analogies, huh? This time addressing topics such as menstruation; teenage pregnancy; sexual purity and most likely female masturbation if Juri's "ball" was indeed an allusion to vibrator/dildo. Quite interesting topics, all things considered but the execution is so intentionally ridiculous I never could feel truly invested in none of them.
Mar 26, 2022 7:50 AM
Oct 15, 2022 8:11 AM
May 2015
I'm not sure why Anthy's expression was so morose. I figured you'd see a smile after realizing it wasn't her brother at the door. Guess we'll see.
Oct 15, 2022 9:55 PM

Jul 2022
Hmm, reading from what people's written.
I see a lot hates Nanami.

While I think Nanami is kind a kawaii.
This episode made me like her even more.

Also like some people said.
The conversation with Touga was epic.
The miscommunication XD
Oct 17, 2022 5:48 AM

Jul 2014
I get the metaphor of this particular Nanami episode (about periods, puberty etc.), and I suppose that helps me understand the purpose of Nanami's episodes in general: she's here to explore ideas important to a young teenage female audience like designer clothes, periods and so on so forth. That revelation doesn't make her any less annoying or make her focus episodes any more interesting to watch, but it's something I guess.
Dec 16, 2022 3:34 AM
Sep 2008
NiteRaving said:
Is this what inspired Kakyoin laid an egg meme?

No, that one's inspired by Clamp's JJBA doujin (JotaKak, naturally, just like half of Clamp's mangas, which I only understood recently because I knew Clamp long before I've ever heard of JoJo's.). You can read it online in many places.
Jul 4, 2023 3:12 PM
Oct 2017
You guys don't know how much I love Nanami. She is the best girl, ever.
Jul 6, 2023 8:02 PM
Feb 2021
Nanami is an actual cartoon character, which just makes her feel so weird compared to the rest of the cast. Maybe not Anthy.

Touga talking about homophobic shit is the most ironic thing bc he's fucking Himemiya's brother.
Jul 19, 2023 12:23 PM
Feb 2023
"even nanami deserves better than being compared to a chicken" 

first a cow then a chicken... give this girl a break!!!! first i was annoyed for getting Another absurd nanami episode but then i kinda enjoyed it, it was more than just plain absurdity, i saw it as a sweet tale of girlhood: a little scary, a little stupid, a little pressuring, but there's a big chance you'll come out alive :) and sure, it wasnt really a Fun episode, the gratuitous homophobia from touga was very much Not fun (still think he should've been gay tho oh well)... but i'm not that mad (better than watching yet another duel...)
Oct 3, 2023 9:19 AM

Aug 2023
Kakyoin Nanami did you lay this egg? Nah but fr I thought she was gonna be a chicken now this time around

𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒔 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝒂𝒔 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒊𝒔, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒏 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒆.
Oct 3, 2023 9:56 AM

Aug 2023
@ishinashi4 bruh you got nothing better to do?

𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒔 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝒂𝒔 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒊𝒔, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒏 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒆.
Oct 20, 2023 6:13 PM
Oct 2020
What? Well as always if it's a Nanami episode it's gold. So I guess it's metaphoric for her period? Also man I feel bad for her with all the animal related shit that happens to her. So was this just Anthy fucking with Nanami like the cow bell?
Nov 25, 2023 10:34 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Umin
Does anybody know what exactly Tôga meant during that "You're not the kind of girl that lays eggs"-talk? It really really confused me because it seemed to have a deeper (non-literal) meaning Nanami just didn't get, but I don't understand it either.
@Umin Menstrual cycles... So she can't get pregnant, even when having sex.
Nov 25, 2023 10:48 PM

Apr 2017
I normally don't care for Nanami episodes, but this one was actually funny, wholesome, but wraps up the themes of the show. This episode seems to be about women getting their cycles, growing up, and the double standards around women and sex along with their sexuality.

Nanami laying an egg is tied to ovulation and menstrual cycles. Every girl around middle school or high school goes through this. There's shame about getting a cycle. Nanami felt shame when she was the first to "lay her egg", but then she felt shame when she was "late" to lay her egg. The double sided shame of being an early bloomer or late bloomer. If you develop too early as a woman, then you're shameful; seen when Utena and Mitsure kept saying "shame on you Nanami!" Though if you develop too late, then people mock you for being a late bloomer. Kind of reminds me of girls mocking other girls for being flat chested. So if you develop too early, you're a shameful slut. If you develop too late, then you're flat chested and basically a kid.

It's even seen in her conversation with Touga. He likes her because she doesn't go around laying eggs. Double meaning for pregnancy. Though it's also a double standard. Nanami has to stay pure until marriage. Meanwhile, Touga can sleep around as much as he likes. He doesn't want Nanami to like other girls, but he rides Akio's engine...

It's also a bit of irony of mistaken sexuality gone both ways. Nanami wrongly assumes that Juri plays with balls (of men), while Touga wrongly assumes that Nanami is a lesbian.
Mar 4, 7:55 AM

Aug 2021
i LOVE nanami eps
was it about period shaming and homophobia being reproduced thru family?
thats kind of how i understood it
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.