Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 5, 2010 8:17 AM

Mar 2009
i agree about "as almost ALL of one-episode-characters were just dumb as hell" with Velrok.
at first i said to myself "well..they wanted to do it more..erm psychological? '^^" lolxD japanese sometimes dont know what is psychological and what is plain weird
and then at other episodes i said to myself "well now i understand. they try to show us how pathetic and weak we,humans are.it might be sth good at the end.let's watch".
then in the serie's first twist,akie's death, i was like "woww cool!"
for continious, i waited patiently for the ending.at epi 23,when ai said to yuziki "you hate me,right?" it was Epic Win.i was waiting for a ending about it but the ending had nothing to do with it!i wonder if ai said it as "u hate me... actually u hate from everybody so u will be the next JS!" ?? i didnt understand it.kind of pointless.they said sth like that but they didnt use it at all. in the end it turned out to be a simple ending.it wasnt so bad but not really good as well.1st and 2nd seasons were better.(still a 4th season would be great!XD yay~)

btw i think yuzuki hasnt gone to heaven/hell.she stuck in a dream&she lives happily in that dream..Or maybe she is continuing her live as she never died.
-about hajime-chan,i always thought he never died,he lives quietly but after reading this thread i started to wonder tooXD
-i hope to see that granny agin too.
-kikuri is FTW:P
-yuzuki is a very nice,cute girl but when she became JS...wow nobody can suck like thatXD
-yuri scene was indeed unexpected coz i really wasnt expecting that kind of a pathetic cover!(+father was near me i hope he didnt see itXD) aside from joke, yuri scene was cute but i didnt understand why ai said u are meT-T. someone explain it,plz?
Mar 4, 2010 8:38 PM
Jul 2009
reira93 said:
but i didnt understand why ai said u are meT-T. someone explain it,plz?

Ai just meant that her and Yuzuki's stories were similar. They were both sort of abandoned by their town/village and even those who were close to them. (Ai's boyfriend and the shopkeeper where Yuzuki's got groceries)

Anyways, for the first fifteen episodes or so I was really disappointed by the third season, but after the episode where Akie disappeared I started to enjoy it as much as the other two. I really liked the ending, and even though they left a few questions I'd like to know the answer to unanswered, I think they should leave it and not make a fourth season.
I especially loved the part where whats-her-face stabbed the guy truly responsible for what happened to her father, then was immediately after sent to hell herself.
10/10 from me. :3
Mar 25, 2010 5:02 PM

Oct 2008
demontwi said:

I especially loved the part where whats-her-face stabbed the guy truly responsible for what happened to her father, then was immediately after sent to hell herself.
10/10 from me. :3

Yes a good scene...It teaches us the useless thing that is the hatred.
Jun 24, 2010 2:39 PM

Sep 2009
The ending is excellent for me.I totally love it!
It's a bit sad about Yuzuki,but not that sad as it would be if Enma Ai was gone xD I think Ai is not an evil girl,who sents everyone to hell,no she rather is like a super hero,which does peoples live not so miserable.
SO as for me-perfect ending,Ai is back and is continuing to save people, who hang on the crest of a precipice to the local hell on earth.
Jul 8, 2010 1:23 PM

Jan 2008
mikuruhi said:
lol i didnt even bother to comprehend what i saw ^-^

good ending though, finally over =D

or is it?

didn't even bother to comprehend? so what's the point of watching it?
Jul 27, 2010 5:44 PM

May 2010
Ah, I started crying halfway through the episode ;_;
It's over!
I knew Ai would come back..
Aug 8, 2010 11:01 AM

Jun 2009
I actually enjoyed this season about as much as the previous 2. It got it's own unique air to it

season 1 = Jigoku Shoujo : Hell Girl Enma Ai
season 2 = Jigoku Shoujo : Takuma and a town of hatred
season 3 = Jigoku Shoujo : Yuzuki and chain of hatred

that's basically how I see the 3 wonderful season of Jigoku Shoujo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2010 12:11 AM
Dec 2008
Very impressive.
I hope season 4 soon.
Oct 5, 2010 6:56 AM
Oct 2009
The ending wasn't as good as the previous two but the individual stories were pretty well-scripted (though some were just kinda repetitive or boring). The maid saved the day by pulling the string to end the revenge cycle (or did she?), I totally didn't see that coming. Now give us season 4 since now Ai is back to her original job post. XD

seekster said:
So what I got is Ai is forced to do the job forever and Yuzuki's soul gets to pass on (hopefully to heaven but possibly to hell). And that look that Ai gave the camera at the end says "I love this job."

ROFL!
The window, the window shopping! Hooo!
Jan 31, 2011 7:52 AM
Nov 2010
I disliked the individual stories; there was nothing to them. They were plain, ordinary, unintelligent; and only unpredictable in the way the directors chose to send some totally different, completely irrelevant person to Hell instead of who the real target should be. This they did just to give us something to wonder about, but it was so pointless anyway, it being so unrealistic.
Second of all, a thing that has been bugging me a lot -- we've finally been given Yuzuki's past, and instead of it being way more complex and outstanding than the other average stories, since she's the main heroine after all, we get nada.

1. Yuzuki's dad: How did he die so tragically? A bus accident, okay, but would that really cause a death? The driver would have been killed certainly, but people at the rear should have escaped with just a scratch or so, since the bus would have stopped after colliding with another bus. Physics, anyone?
2. Why was Yuzuki's family so ostracized? No reason given at all.
3. What happened to the brakes? Who would believe the dumbass story that it was entirely the driver's fault, and there were no faulty brakes?

It was disappointing, to say the least. Nothing happened in the grand scheme of things; 26 episodes wasted just to get us where we were in the first place. It was a good premise, but there really should have been a revolt against the Spider. They had the characters to do it, the emotions, the desires, everything. It's a true mystery to me.

4/10 for this season. I enjoyed the Futakomori much better, though.
Feb 6, 2011 8:41 AM
Aug 2008
I entirely agree with aquaharps. This season did not need to exist. The motivations for pulling the string were almost always terrible, and Yuzuki was not nearly as interesting as Hajime, Tsugumi. or the kid from season 2.

They started to make Yuzuki interesting with the twists at the end, but after ep 26, NONE of that matters and we're back to square one. Why couldn't it end after season 2? It was actually, you know, a conclusion.

Despite that, there were the usual good moments and some episodes were powerful stuff. As a whole, this season was a waste. 4/10 though.
Feb 7, 2011 6:13 PM

Sep 2010
My thoughts after finally getting around to watch season 3:

The most important thing first:
It TICKS me off that we only got to see Ai's original preparation scene ONCE throughout the whole season (Episode 14). I love that scene, it always sends chills down my spine and I am disappointed that they always skipped it after that. They put in the butterfly resurrection everytime, but I didn't like it as much as the original one, mostly because of the soundtrack.

The Yuri kiss was suprising, but I immediatly got that she did it to show Yuzuki her past (Ai's past).

Enma Ai is the perfect Jigoku Shoujo. When I saw Yuzuki telling the dad that it's right to kill the woman, I thought "This isn't going to end well."
Enma noticed it too.

I felt nostalgic when Yuzuki got that purple aura and I also immediatly got that she will attack Ai with the same attack Ai used in season 1.

I still think there is something missing. The grandma was one thing that always made me shiffer in season 1 and 2 (In season 3 we only saw her once, so...) and I would like to know who she is. But on the other hand, I don't want to see her unless she is already a skeleton, because that would kill the creepy illusion I get from seeing her silhouette only.

All in all, I expected worse from this season. I read some spoiler free reviews beforehand and was afraid of boring and stupid episodes, but after a few episodes in, I noticed that this time, the sheme is a bit different, because the ones sent to hell often didn't deserve it, so I thought that might be important for the plot, and what do you know, it was!

All in all, I missed the creepy atmossphere when someone was sent to hell because they either skipped the good parts, or the focus was more on Yuzuki than on the hell sending process itself. But there were some really good executed episodes too.

Everything is back to normal, huh? Well, judging by how this season wasn't as popular as the first two, I doubt we will ever see season 4. It's been two years now too. Feels bad man, I want to see more of Ai and her nakama, and I want to see more scenes that give me creeps or send chills down my back, and I want to hear even more of that awesome soundtrack this series has.

So much about my first thoughts. I wonder if someone will read them and discuss them with me, but I think I just took too long to start watching.
(Why did I even stop after episode 2 back when it was airing?)

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Last but not least: I'd be so creeped out by a Torii this big, down the river, with the ground covered in mist. This was by far the most impressive scenery of the season.

Ai is love
viroxFeb 7, 2011 6:40 PM
Feb 20, 2011 9:09 PM

Oct 2008
And so, Enma Ai takes over again..

I think I prefered the first season. =/
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 21, 2011 7:51 AM

Jul 2010
Ai is actually a really caring person isn't she? I mean she took the blame for Yazuki and she'll be have to be the Hell Girl for all eternity :( I feel sorry for Yazuki that all this happened to her after she "died" but I think Ai is the one who'll suffer the most, Yazuki if now "free" right? I mean she isn't in the real between reality and illusion anymore right?...

Nice to see that everyone stays by Ai's side though, it made the ending a little better since she won't be alone... but still such a sad ending :(

It was a nice season overall and it had a "good" ending, not quite what I expected but it was def emotional. 8/10 :)
May 9, 2011 9:08 PM
May 2011
Here's my theory as to answer some of the major mysteries of Season 3:
Before Yuzuki died as a child, Ai was able to imbue a fragment of her soul into Kuzuki, via when she met Yamawaro in the woods for the first time, and then Yamawaro came into contact with Yuzuki (when he was near their house saying "Mother"). With that fragment within her, Yuzuki's spirit was able to live on in an alternate dimension (under Ai's supervision). It is this very same fragment that allowed Ai to return, by accessing it, but being a parasite within Yuzuki, only coming out for short periods of time (that is how long Ai's spirit can last, then it must return to recover).
When the festival occurred, Ai was given a new body for her spirit to return to, yet the fragment still remained (thus explaining why Yuzuki can still sense Ai and the hotline). I believe that this fragment was the key to explaining both how Ai was able to return in the first place, and also the quote "You are me", indicating that they still share a soul. As for the kiss, it was the fastest way for Ai to transfer the information about her past to Yuzuki.
Overall I view the entire season as a grandmaster plan by Ai to give Yuzuki the experience of life without condemning her to be Jigoku Shoujo, and sending her to heaven. Her plan was to first give herself a "spare" and place a piece of her soul within Yuzuki, thus allowing her to sacrifice her life to save Yamawaro. Then the time came, and she rebirthed herself within Yuzuki, whom was living within the alternate world created for her. Then Ai proceeded and "passed on" the hotline to Yuzuki, knowing she would fail and suffer the wrath of the master, and Ai would be the shield, thus taking her old job back and freeing yuzuki, plus giving yuzuki the experience of a good life. Thus Ai never intended to "retire", but pretended to so she could save a soul that would be damned to share a similar fate as herself.
May 17, 2011 8:15 AM

Apr 2010
Ai's "You are me" comment can be taken 2 ways
If figuratively, both of them lived and died without anyone coming to help them.
If literally, Yuzuki may be Ai's reincarnation. Reincarnation is like a dying candle whose flame lights another candle. Both candles exist but are not the same.

Yuzuki's final fate is as the japanese call it "become a buddha" or ascension into the heavenly realms.
Jun 18, 2011 10:24 AM

Dec 2010
To the people complaining about "the reasons for pulling the strings are bullshit".
It was on purpose, this season just shows you the bad side of the hell correspondence they said before: it doesn't matter if the reason is bad or not, hate is still hate. I'm sure it would get boring if it happens every episode that a bully dies because he was mean. It wouldn't become original.
Jun 25, 2011 9:02 AM

Apr 2008
I... don't understand the ending can someone explain to me since

EDIT: Ok after collecting some data i think i understand more, the only part i don't understand is

Aside from this, I WANT 4th SEASON, NOW!!
EShirouJun 25, 2011 12:20 PM
Jul 17, 2011 6:31 PM

Dec 2008
i dont really think there'll be a 4th season, it was ok show, i diddent like how they keept sending ppl who did not derserve to go to hell, to hell.
if there'll be a 4'th season, then i hope it'll cover a bit of what happend in the end of the 3'rd show.
Jul 27, 2011 1:26 PM
Jul 2011
I miss the Jigoku Shojo phenomenon during its premier days, I wish it would make a comeback in some form but I guess there is only so many ways you can keep repeating the "...and Enma Ai becomes Jigoku Shojo..again" plotline.

I just love the anime version of Enma Ai. The manga is pretty bad, overly shoujo-ish.
Sep 2, 2011 6:35 PM

May 2010
Enma Ai. She's a true martyr. She sacrificed her own happiness and free will for eternity because she wanted to save someone, her other self.
1st season: Hellish emotions were released
2nd season: Sacrifice for a boy with the same situation
3rd season: Being a martyr for an eternity just for the sake of another person that is to suffer.

That is Enma Ai.
"I don't need a reason to save someone"

Kamijou Touma
Jan 28, 2012 10:43 PM

Aug 2009
Im SOOOO glad Yuzuki isnt the permanent Jigoku Shoujo..

I want that to be JUST for Ai!

but anyway, great series :)
Feb 5, 2012 10:56 AM

Dec 2008
So I was thinking about this episode throughout today after watching it ridiculously late last night/early morning, and I was thinking about how it left a lot of holes.

I mean, it's kind of severely hinted that something happened to Hajime, but it's all speculation. No one comes out with upright, "He died." And just hearing that he kind of gave up was disheartening; I kind of wanted more of a defining moment since Hajime never seemed like the kind of guy to just give up; maybe just old age and the repeated failures just piled up. But that kind of downed me.

And then there's Tsugumi. I still love her and all, and I feel so bad that she fell through the cracks of her original goals and kind of became hopeless. It was clear, from what little guidance she gave Yuzuki that she hadn't given up completely, but her ultimate role in this plot was pretty much to tell Yuzuki she was already dead; but even that wasn't that significant because it was Ai who showed Yuzuki her past, not Tsugumi. And Tsugumi only shows up in the final episode to be told she is stubborn and a lot of other fuddled conversation that really goes nowhere with Tsugumi walking off screen forever. And the first thing that came out of my mouth was, "Well, your scenes were pretty much pointless then," because it never felt she really helped out Yuzuki - just kind of loosely guided her but insisted all she could do was watch and told her what little she could. Even when she stopped Yuzuki when she was at the festival from crossing the borderline to hell seems kind of pointless in hindsight; I guess Ai was just trying to get Yuzuki to become the next Jigoku Shoujo without telling her anything about what had actually happened to her, but eh. Tsugumi's role was kind of downplayed and I really wanted more out of her since she seemed to show up so much. She was just a huge sad sack of hopelessness and I wanted her to finally come out with something encouraging, or even remark at the end that Ai gave someone hope in setting them free without ultimately sending someone to hell (which sounds so cliche); I don't know. I just felt like Tsugumi should have had some stronger relevance and impact to make me remember her more, like how I remember her so well in season one. She had her ups and downs and her questions, but it was clear, even when she was upset, she never really lost hope. It was kind of like it in this season too, but not nearly as strong.

Can you tell Hajime is my favorite character and therefore I care a lot about Tsugumi?

Otherwise, I really didn't care for Yuzuki until this episode. It's kind of sad that I didn't really feel any attachment to her until she became the Jigoku Shoujo and it felt she definitely had a reason to want to "purify the world" from the pain she went through when she was originally alive; as expected, it didn't happen and was extremely short lived. But I'm glad her soul went to rest, courtesy of Enma Ai herself. It really showed how selfless Ai can be despite what her job is, and that part has definitely shined throughout these seasons.

I enjoy the episodic "string pulls" that make you question who is in the right and who is in the wrong. I felt like this season they were of more controversy because they didn't always seem like the right decision - why would you take out the person who is related to the problem, but not the person causing the problem to begin with? It was more of an irrational emotional reaction to these events, which frustrated me and made me side with Yuzuki when she was mirroring Hajime for a while in the second half of the series.

Still, I am left with a lot of questions and this ending has definitely left a blank slate for a new series to come along if it so desires and play with all of these characters again. I'd welcome it with open arms as long as it answers questions like who is Ai's grandmother, and hell, I do love the string pulling episodes so I'd welcome another 20+ of them, too. They're always interesting. I love seeing the motives.

Overall, taking this in as a conclusion and compared with the other series as a whole - otherwise I wouldn't be watching this long since I love Jigoku Shoujo so much - I can't say I was that big of a fan of this season. I liked a lot of elements in it, but I wasn't attached to Yuzuki hardly at all, and being one of the main characters with a lot of screen time, I expected to identify with her sooner rather than her just being the tool for Ai to possess or a tool to connect a bunch of string pullers and their stories together. I loved seasons one and two, and this one felt kind of mismatched. So I'll give this series a 7 - it was good, but it still has holes and definitely leaves a lot open to present us with another sequel.

Maybe if I watch the last episode again I'll consider raising it but I'm pretty sure it's a 6 or a 7 for me. It's good, but I probably won't remember it as strongly as the other two - the first season was just full of nasty people who deserved whatever punishment they got and Ai's background; the second season pulled together a lot of elements that were desired in the first season and gave Ai's assistants backgrounds and a great plot that was much longer than two or three episodes, despite also being introduced later in the series. And even with this season standing alone, I felt like I wasn't fully on board with the characters this time around. I got interested in Yuzuki far, far too late, and my original images of Tsugumi and Hajime have faded into an enigma. At least Ai made me feel like I was watching something consistent.

And I'm glad she's still Jigoku Shoujo, though having her be at rest and having someone else take over would be strange I also think it would be great if Jigoku Shoujo could finally rest.
Feb 16, 2012 6:42 PM

Dec 2010
This ending was nonetheless bad, and I can almost say it's perfect. If you want there to be 4th season, it's totally allowed this way. Then again, if you think that there shouldn't be any more episodes, the ending is still good enough. I have to agree, that Season 1 and Futukamori ended in a much better way, but I really had some bad expectations towards Mitsuganae's ending, and I got surprised at how well the things actually turned out.

virox said:
The Yuri kiss was suprising, but I immediatly got that she did it to show Yuzuki her past (Ai's past).

The first smart comment I read about this kiss.

Actually I liked more than expected this episode. Especially the part when Ai hugged Yuzuki... this moment was so moving that my heart barely stand it. Most of what we saw out of Ai was hinting that she was now cold-hearted bitch, but her actions in this last episode... I was more moved even compared with my feelings after Season 1 and Futukamori. Combined with Yuzuki's tragic childhood it's too much, and I even wonder how I accomplish to hold myself from crying =\

On the question what happened with Yuzuki - I'm 60% sure she's alive in the real world. Ai has resurrected her(she has that power she used to revive the butterfly in Season 1, remember?) back in the time and Yuzuki is able now to live through her normal human life full of tragic memories. And 10% possibility that she actually remained to live in the illusionary world of hers. But still there is 30% possibility that she went to Heaven just because of the blue flowers(contrary to the red spider-lilies in Hell) around Yuzuki and Ai before they parted forever. This is it, even if I'm not crying on the outside, I'm totally shedding tears on the inside, how could this ending be so sad...

About the season overall... I told it when I commented on the previous episode - Jigoku Shoujo could've properly ended with Futukamori, because in this way we totally get everything we might want. Mitsuganae is much like an illusional continuity of the story which even doesn't make sense. But for reasons Mitsuganae deserves it's place amongst the other two seasons as well. Firstly - the setting in Mitsuganae's stories is just great and unique. It's nothing like Season 1 or Futukamori, we saw one deeper but for sure - existent, level of the human nature. So much people sent the wrong persons to hell just because they wished to keep the illusion "alive"... Secondly - although many of you dislike or doesn't like much Yuzuki(at least you feel sorry for her) she actually helped very much for Mitsuganae to get unique feeling. Thanks to her we got a whole story about JS consisting of 26 episodes. Yes, there maybe were too much individual stories, but still the link with the previous episodes was held intact. I for myself like this aspect of Mitsuganae too much. We went through every case feeling with Yuzuki about the most of them. At some point I got used to her so much as if she was the main character. Yes, the first several episodes sucked nonetheless, but then we got better stories and after the moment of Akie's death the story continued ahead with much bitter taste, but still we was with Yuzuki at all the time. Not only this, but that was the time I actually got used to her - in the first episodes she felt a bit uncharacterized, but then we got to know her true nature and intentions. She proved that her feelings and deeds were honest. I don't know about you, but I liked Mitsuganae even if I felt it like something different than JS, like a stand-alone story. Totally 10, after all this is Jigoku Shoujo and for me that is more than enough reason to score it 10.

As for Season 4... I don't want there to be any more episodes. I'm surprised myself to say it, because I finally end this last third season after three years of watching JS(it was my first purposely-watched anime) and now I feel really strange and nostalgic(not to say melancholic) about it. I slowed the watching as much as I could afford(three years, yeah) it but yet this anime has finally ended. But why no Season 4? No matter how you look at it, the story ended so long ago. Yes, Mitsuganae accomplished to resurrect it, but I don't see how would it be possible for the story to be continued. Except for one case - if Hajime is after all still alive, then I'm sure he's more than able to pull out one more season no matter what he's aiming at. I agree with you that the whole story around him is too enigmatic in Mitsuganae(hah, not like it wasn't back in Futukamori, but still) and I even stated in my comment on the previous episode how suspiciously sounds for him to just give up. And we're not even talking about Tsugumi's pointless appearance during this episode(during Mitsuganae if you ask me) because it can nonetheless mean something beyond Mitsuganae.
Feb 22, 2012 1:13 PM

Apr 2010
Velrok said:
Seriously, there's nothing even close to real world in that anime, all the one-episode stories are just hopeless.

firstly, the only aspect of the show that was unrealistic was the main concept; 'hatred' which fueled the means to send someone to Hell via Jigoku Shoujo. i'm not sure if you're applying logic to your observation or you live under a rock, but the reason to hate someone is infinite... regardless of circumstances.

the show may have exaggerated a few episodes which may come off to most viewers as 'stupid' excuses to send people to hell, but the foundation in which people believe are legitimate, rational reasons are very much real; a few examples of these could be jealousy, betrayal, death of a loved one, wrongful accusations, poverty, sadism, or even lust.

what you see through your eyes isn't the same vision the 'next person' may be seeing, what you feel is rational may be idiotic and stupid to the masses.

it's called unfortunate circumstances; not everyone is accustomed to a meaningful existence, so consider yourself fortunate that you CAN'T relate to the episodics. well, at least that's how 'I' feel.
Apr 14, 2012 6:30 PM

Nov 2011
I've watched the entire Hell Girl (all 3 seasons) have to say that this was one hell of an epic series.
Aug 11, 2012 8:34 AM

May 2012
What a great final episode! Yazuki taking over the roll as Jigoku Shoujo having her say the exact lines as Enma Ai was quite funny to hear! Also her kimono is rather kawaii!

But what the fuck was the scene with Kikuri that was so fucked up, so the boss of hell is watching over the last episode again!

It was quite interesting to have her first assignment being the father of her friend to banish the tutor who send her to hell! Though in one way sad that the father didn't pulled the string but later on the episode we know why so yea it's understandable!

But yea like though Yazuki wants retribution for her friend but can't as she's now Jigoku Shoujo and she can't have any emotions/hearth/feelings for any other people!

The ending was quite sad, even though Yazuki just became Jigoku Shoujo she disappeared, though it was nice from Ai to share her History with her by kissing!

It global this is an open ending and they could easily make a fourth season with maybe the return of Yazuki as Jigoku Shoujo or even that Ai and Yazuki work together!

Either way loved all 3 season and it was a great Anime! Great individual story's and a great main story! A 9/10 for me!

But to end it with an all knowing quote: Ippen Shinde Miru?
Sep 21, 2012 12:51 AM

Apr 2011
9/10 for overall series. I'm so depress now, that it's over with...

Glad that Yuzuki is now in heaven (or reincarnated).

The tutor got sent to hell, by the maid. You go Girl!

Akie father is a very good person. Personally I would still send her to hell anyways.

Enma Ai loves her job!
Sep 26, 2012 12:06 AM

Jan 2012
7/10

I did enjoy it quite a bit surprisingly...
Oct 15, 2012 10:11 AM

Jun 2012
Alright, this episode we definitely a come-back for this season in many ways, but at the same time it buried the series into the grave it's been digging since episode 1.

Yuzuki was cool, I liked her character, up until episode 25. She changed completely and everything she started doing made no sense.

Enma Ai had accumulated too many badass points throughout season 1 and 2 for me to complain about her. Ai's cool regardless of what she's doing.

Ren-Wan-Hon were absent for too much of the series for me to even comment on them. They didn't get any of the screen time that they deserved, but I'd have to say I'm happy their personalities didn't get a massive change from season 2 to season 3 like so many other characters did.

Tsugumi became confused and mentally unstable after a bunch of events which were implied to have happened in between season 2 and season 3 took place. Those events having never been explained, I find it extremely difficult to connect season1 and 2's Tsugumi to season 3's Tsugumi. She's like a completely different person.

-------

If this season didn't exist, I'd give the Jigoku Shoujo series (seasons 1 and 2) a 9/10.
This season would have to get a 4/10; I was thoroughly disappointed countless times throughout each episode.

I don't even want a season 4 now, if this is where the story is going to pick up from.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Dec 1, 2012 11:05 PM
Sep 2012
Just finished the whole series up on Crunchyroll and I'm kinda lost really. What happened to Yuzuki? Is she perma dead? Is she still living in a fake reality? I mean whats up with that? Who? What? When? Where? Why? How?

This was an alright season, but I think I liked season 2 a little bit better. The ending grabbed me more.
Dec 28, 2012 5:04 PM

Jun 2011
Oh man, I didn't want Ai gone but I didn't want it to go this way D: Sure, Yuzuki's background story and all that were equally sad and good compared to the previous seasons, but I never liked her as much as her equals in previous seasons. And now Ai has to do this job for all eternity solely because of the retarded selfishness of Yuzuki? This sucks D=

I was expecting Mitsuganae to be as good as Futakomori but I'm disappointed. This 3rd season had shorter and shallower plot than the first two seasons and more boring and shallower main character. I was really annoyed by Yuzuki throughout the season, whether it was before or after she changed into Jigoku Shoujo.

And there are 3 things that have been bothering me for a while now:
- As for this season, what the hell happened to Hajime? Did he die? Has he disappeared? Was he sent to hell? Is he somewhere in a similar condition to Azusa's father?
- What or who is that grandma in Enma Ai's house? The 3 seasons haven't explained it. The closest we got to her and the truth about her was in Futakomori
- I want more description, background or whatever about the spider (lord of hell). There's so much more potential for his/its character, it's a shame they didn't use it

Yagami80 said:
maarika said:
The only thing I didn't get was the ending with Azusa stabbing someone. Who was that guy? Or was that scene only showed to us so we'd see that things are back as they used to be (with Ai taking people to hell)?
That guy was the one directly responsible for what had happened to her father.
Thanks for clearing that up. I've already forgotten who the old hag who sent Azusa to hell was though... was it Akie's mother? Or someone else related with her dad? I think it was the woman who showed up when Akie's father was sending the name... but who exactly was it? Anyone can clear that one up? loll

aquaharps said:

1. Yuzuki's dad: How did he die so tragically? A bus accident, okay, but would that really cause a death? The driver would have been killed certainly, but people at the rear should have escaped with just a scratch or so, since the bus would have stopped after colliding with another bus. Physics, anyone?
Did they say somewhere that everyone in the bus died? I don't think so, but I might've missed it. And who knows? They didn't tell the details about the accident, there might have been an explosion or anything that resulted in everyone dying... dunno.
Jan 20, 2013 9:02 PM

Jun 2012
Yuzuki was sent to heaven, the guy stabbed in the end was the guy who ran away and the lady who pulled the string was akie's maid....for those still wondering.
Aug 25, 2013 7:05 AM
Aug 2012
i like how all three seasons seemed to end in a similar way. someone was being outcast by an entire community, abandoned and mistreated. It seemed to represent that the evil and resentment in people's hearts are not only timeless, but innate in human nature. By the end of this season i see Ai as a sort of "jesus-like" character (I don't really know how else to describe it, maybe more comparable to Madoka from madoka magica). she cried for yuzuki when she was alone and dying and had no one else. she also continued to carry out her duty as hell girl in yuzuki's place, which was quite the sacrifice honestly.

I also liked the way this ended in the airport terminal. It came right after the part where we are supposed to feel good: "Well, that's nice for Ai that she saved yuzuki." then BAM! right back to business. we get reminded that NOTHING has changed and that people are always hateful. Summed up the series pretty nicely.

Overall, good anime, I've had a lot to think about because of it and that's always worth something.
Sep 19, 2013 10:18 PM

Sep 2012
Yuri \m/
on serious note: While this series was not as good as previous season but ending really worth it.Art and animation are also well done for someone like studio DEEN especially in last scenes it was outstanding.Will rewatch this ep again and again.
Nov 4, 2013 11:47 PM
Nov 2013
I'm confused and I still have some questions. How did Ai come back? Didn't she sacrifice herself in the second season for Takuma? Did her soul go to hell with her parents? I am confused how Enma Ai was able to return again and perform the Jigoku Tsuushin duties after what happened in the second season in the last few episodes. I thought by now Ai would be against such a thing but she comes back again to perform those duties. If I remember correctly, didn't Ai agree to be the Jigoku Shoujo to save her parents' soul? In the second season, Ai broke the rules to save Takuma and she also sacrificed herself. So she died TWICE and jeez... that is depressing. So she comes back again to continue those duties but for what reason this time? Is it still to save her parents' souls from Hell? The most heartbreaking moment in this third season was looking at the scene in the last episode near the end when Ai and Yuzuki were standing over Yuzuki's younger self and seeing her younger self lying there and waiting for help and eventually died there. I couldn't hold it in anymore when Ai began crying for Yuzuki in the scene because she understood how it felt to be alone and helpless.

I'm a bit late into this series because the first season debuted many years ago and I actually managed to finish all three seasons during my free-time. It's honestly a very good anime with a lot of issues about morality and the cycle of hatred and vengeance of human beings.

I'm hoping for a 4th season if possible because I don't consider it a good ending in my opinion. The ending is satisfying somewhat, but for Ai and her companions it just doesn't seem happy in my opinion. What I would consider a good/happy ending would be that someday Ai and her friends could be free of this "Master of Hell" person (spider) and given another chance to live again as a human. Though the hate and revenge thing won't go away because of human beings. If the world has no more hate/revenge/etc. then it would be Heaven obviously, but we all know this world is not Heaven. Nonetheless, I hope the series end with Ai and her friends being free of their duties and given another chance to live life as normal human beings, in my opinion. I'm also proud to say that the biggest reason I found this series was because of Enma Ai. I'm sort of obsessed with characters that have red eyes or white hair, and it's even better if he/she has both. I also really like Ai's stoic personality because perhaps I can relate to the reason why she's that way.

Anyways, I'm not surprised that Ai is such as great person even though considering what happened in her past and the first season between Hajime Shibata/Hajime Tsugumi and Ai. I'm pretty sure by now that she has probably let go of her hatred and vengeance and now she's just stuck doing this Jigoku Shoujo job. That's why I believe that the most conclusive ending would be that Ai and her friends would be freed from this horrific job one day. Though I understand that sometimes not everything in life ends well. For those who don't know, the word/name "Ai" means love in Japanese and in the Chinese language. I know that because I am Chinese myself.
Dec 8, 2013 6:17 AM

Jun 2012
i have to say its amazing how many characters they had to design most anime have side characters but not so many so i think its amazing.

the person on the airport was this drunk guy who was sent overseas by Akie's father i believe it was his son and her brother who killed someone of Akie's private teacher.

well i pretty much enjoyed this season as well but i was looking to it with a different view then the past 2 seasons cause if i would compare them this would definitely not score to well but if you watch it loose from season 1 and 2 its story is good to.

my guess is that the reason that people don't like this season to much is probably because there is a huge change in some things that are not explained very well and it is like something is missing between season 2 and 3.

i got to say this anime has a deeper meaning that most people don't see and i would not be able to explain what i mean cause if i tried people just call me crazy but i am sure some people get what i mean.
RobertovkDec 9, 2013 10:11 PM
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jan 17, 2014 5:04 PM

Nov 2013
WOW this episode was so sad i was crying my eyes out T_T

But seriously i feel that Yuzuki being JS really wasn't going to fly that well, i knew that but i feel the way that this season ended with Yuzuki being sent to heaven was kind of a screw up in a sense. What i mean by that is comparison of season 1 to season how Tsugumi and her dad were stopped by JS (Ai) and then in season 2 the whole thing starts over, with Ai and her group of followers doing contracts and so forth; the transitioning in basic terms, if they make another season it would most likely start like that, meaning a huge event happens and WHAM NEW SEASON and everything is back to normal...like JUST NO. But unlike the prior seasons, this season had a bit more connectivity with a main plot in general, and not just random occurrences. But IF they make another season i hope it won't be like any of the prior seasons...what it should focus on now is more of a magical or supernatural approach delving into the secrets of hell or maybe even a conception of a person's hell itself and maybe more about that spider thing with the three eye, which i am assuming--BUT I MIGHT BE WRONG--may be Satan or a leader of sorts. SO in the long if there would be another season then preferably it should be focus more on spirituality and such rather than of the aspect of a human..........man i just read this aloud and im like dieing of thirst lol sorry about the ranting im done..... ;D
Feb 13, 2014 7:11 PM

Jan 2014
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9903830/1/Jigoku-Shoujo-Mitsuganae-Epilogue

This fanfic created kind of makes sense for an OVA. I'm still sad for Yuzuki 'cause I wanted her to live. :/ But I think Ai going back to her business is crap. The way Season 3 started should have been how it ended again. Each one of the companions live a life. I don't know. I'm just not yet satisfied with the ending. Something...is missing.
Jun 23, 2014 3:59 PM
Dec 2013
Guys I am sorry if this has been answered early on in the Forum or elsewhere, I have only seen the first season and I don't plan on watching season 2 and 3 seen as season 3 is not dubbed and season 2 is next to impossible to find, anyway I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could answer these questions:

1. What happened to Hajime?

2. What was the condition Ai's grandmother set for Hajime in return for letting him go?

3. Why did Hajime disappear after writing that book? was he sent to hell? was writing the book the condition for letting him leave?

4. Does Tsugumi ever talk about her father like what happened or why he is not with her?

Thanks in advance guys I know it's a lot to ask for!
Jun 26, 2014 7:44 AM

Sep 2013
Huh its finally over.

I did enjoy this series but it got me enraged quite a few times because some of the episodes are rather stupid and contrived. That kiss was so unnecessary; just a blatant fanservice. 6/10

AsianKungFuJul 26, 2014 9:13 AM
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 20, 2014 4:49 PM

Jan 2014
It's over. It became a real burden to watch, because it was really weak throughout all the 26 episodes and the amount of episodes felt too much heavier than last 2 seasons. This show could ne easily made in 12 episodes.

I liked the last 3 episodes but it's really all that there is to this show except episode 13.
It was clear miles away that the author was more targeted to give all his best in Yuzuki's route, while the episodic arguments were just an add-on.
Disappointing show, I'll pretend this never took place.
NostalgiaDrive94Oct 14, 2014 4:57 AM
Sep 27, 2014 12:59 AM

Jan 2010
So, at the end, humanity is hellbent on killing itself, so the Hell Girl Correspondence is necessary to speed up the process.

That was a long painful ride, not in the sense it was bad, but holy crap that was a lot of suffering. The series was a mixed bag, but I'm glad to have watched it. The episodes I liked were the ones where either Hell Girl was truly necessary, or the ones where no one was right or wrong, as everyone involved were victims of circumstance. The worst ones were the ones where the villainous characters were outright sadists who got kicks out of unreasonable torture for petty reasons.

Now to find shows that'll restore my faith in humanity.
Dec 14, 2014 3:46 AM

Nov 2013
Good ending. This season was not as good as the first two seasons but by no means bad. It had a pretty shitty start which kept it from being on par with the first season.

I give the ending 4/5 and the 3rd season 7/10

Apr 29, 2015 11:25 PM

Sep 2014
Wow, in the beginning, around season 1, Ai appeared to be so emotionless, this episode, and many more proved that wrong. Ai is just the best. I feel so bad for her though, she finally got free.
Oct 20, 2015 3:03 AM

Aug 2014
How can it be that the last few seconds were way better than the actuall ending? Propably because the story sucked. Still happy I finished with the Jogokou Shoujp series, now I can stop hating on humanity. Sweet ending again even though it made no sence. Well unless if the old lady and the bitch were in agreement to send her to hell after she kills that guy. Then that's even sweeter.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Jan 21, 2016 1:49 PM

Oct 2014
Well, I just finished this series. I started the first season back in Dec 2014. And I started this season in March 2015. It took me nearly a year to finish, but I'm glad to have finally finished it. I was a tad bit confused what happened to Yuzuki, but reading the comments that other's have posted in the past sort of cleared things up.

Still wondering what happened to Hajime, but considering I'm posting this comment in 2016, I don't have as much hope for a fourth season as the people who originally posted in this. :P I suppose this will just be one of those questions that never gets answered. I kind of feel like they did that on purpose. Almost as if they wanted you to draw your own conclusions on that.
Jan 26, 2016 7:44 PM

Dec 2015
7 years later and still wondering what happened to Hajime, Tsugumi, and Yuzuki..

NEED A SEASON 4!!
I ship @Cewkie and @DarkZeroCalibur
Feb 28, 2016 10:03 PM
Dec 2014
SkyHora said:
7 years later and still wondering what happened to Hajime, Tsugumi, and Yuzuki..

NEED A SEASON 4!!

I believe Yuzuki went to heaven,Hajime's dissapearance is a mistery, and Tsugumi just left off as she felt her task was complete. What I'm really curious about is about that nurse I believe it was in S1 or S2 where she was sent to hell for no reason at all. Damn, that really hurt me.
May 12, 2016 1:37 PM

Feb 2015
This would've been a masterpiece if this season was as good as the last two episodes.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» do you really believe that all thee victims deserved to go to hell

geekfreak17a - May 17, 2014

5 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 19, 2023 8:37 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 18 Discussion

guyklc - Feb 7, 2009

35 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 19, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 27, 2008

72 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:30 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 23 Discussion

guyklc - Mar 14, 2009

47 by patkarunungan »»
Nov 11, 2023 3:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beave - Mar 20, 2009

52 by Phobossus »»
Aug 26, 2023 3:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.